• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Multiple Settings The Aspirant

The Errant [1-4]
David nodded at the response. "Based on what we know about the maison, it shouldn't be too difficult. We'll leave you to it, then."

Arich shielded his eyes from the blasts of wind as Anor, with a few beats from his wings, took off suddenly and forcefully, becoming hard to make out in seconds. Then he turned towards the direction of the Maison Creue, beginning the short trek towards it.

Several minutes later, the ranger broke through the small expanse of forest to find himself at the edge of the courtyard, facing the western side of the mansion. It was an impressive sight, cobbled from white bricks and ending in a rooftop of vibrant red. Arich had little desire to live in such a place, but he still whistled to himself as he took in the magnificent sight.

After spending a few more minutes admiring the mansion, Arich took some time to circle the courtyard, noting all the potential entrances to the place and taking notice of two stewards at the front of the courtyard entrance, seemingly there to watch over the several carrages and horses parked nearby. Other than their red attire and smoking pipes, Arich noticed they stood far enough from the entrance that they wouldn't see anyone climb over the hedges and walk over to any of the mansion's entrances. Apparently, no one had ever tried doing so.

Alright, Arich. You've got this for sure, but just in case you'd better go over your options here.

A. Silently make for the front door and consider other options from there.

B. There's no one watching the back door, of course. That'll be the most subtle way inside.

C. Case the mansion until discovering a window without any activity behind it and try that.

D. There really is no need to do this, but decide to head to the front of the courtyard and see what the two stewards are up to.
Each option has a variety of additional plans to go along with it, so you really can't go wrong with whatever choice you make. Consider the possibilities and make your decision.

Inventory
arcane bow folds neatly in half, but is completely lacking in subtlety
knuckledusters when you absolutely need to get your hands dirty
lockpicks for dishonest people or fledgling riders on a mission
body armor studded pauldrons provide a small but comforting amount of protection
clothing these might actually look alright in the middle of a mansion party
Talents
trained in combat knowledge of weapon techniques from rider training may be useful
patient maintain awareness and clarity of thought in chaotic situations. arich cannot panic
elemental knowledge arich dislikes using magic, but he knows a decent amount of earth and ice spells

B. There's no one watching the back door, of course. That'll be the most subtle way inside.

b. there's no one watching the back door, of course. that'll be the most subtle way inside.

got this nagging feeling but hoping there's no one by the back door. everyone could be busy with the party going on + trying to get into one of the windows is pretty risky and difficult to escape from when push comes to shove sooo back door!

>B. There's no one watching the back door, of course. That'll be the most subtle way inside.

Well, we did agree to go undetected... Let's scout the back door first.

The Errant [1-5]
It didn't take long for Arich to pick out the most ideal choice from what he had. A minute later, he found himself against the back of the two-story mansion, with a small back door before him.

There was still plenty of moonlight to spare, so Arich took a few moments to put his ear to the door, listening for any indication of a nearby presence. Other than the muffled sounds of conversation and eccentric music, it didn't sound like there was anything directly behind the door.

Arich was confident he wouldn't run into any problems once inside, but he figured it would be worth considering what else he could do while he was at the back door.

What's the next step in Arich's plan?

A. The door has a keyhole on it, so bump the lock with those picks and head inside.

B. Quietly knock on the door and see if anyone answers.

C. Try the conspicuous route instead, and take the front door. Going subtle is too risky here.

D. Actually, this might work better... (Write-in.)

Inventory
body armor studded pauldrons provide a small but comforting amount of protection
clothing these actually look nice enough to wear to a party
Hmm...
trained in combat knowledge of weapon techniques from rider training may be useful
patient maintain awareness and clarity of thought in chaotic situations. arich cannot panic
elemental knowledge arich's most basic spells could help here. conjuring ice onto a surface, creating a petal pathway, or rapid growth of plants like bushes or vines... simple spells with real potential

>B. Quietly knock on the door and see if anyone answers.

This is to make sure that there's really nobody around.

✧ actually, this might work better...
go back by the front of the courtyard
+ see what the two stewards are up to!

okay but what if by "nobody realizing it" he meant no one realizes the theft, not that nobody realizes his presence in general. like i thought he wasn't supposed to be seen, which ruins the excitement that can happen if he literally walks into the party, and i don't wanna miss that~

Last edited:
I kind of doubt that letting anyone know of his existence is a good idea, but now that I think about it... if anyone sees that the necklace is gone, he could probably frame someone else. It's the perfect plan! Though maybe not being spotted may be better.
Whatever. Let's just go through the front door. (C)

The Errant [1-6]
Arich weighed the options in his head, and the more he thought about it the riskier the back door seemed. He had enough time to make it to the front door, but he was pretty worried the stewards outside had already seen-

Arich, Anor interrupted from inside the ranger's head. Neither of the two in red are paying any attention to the maison. Approach from any angle except the front of the courtyard, and neither you nor the guards will take notice of each other. You have not been revealed yet.

Peeking at the courtyard entrance from behind the mansion, Arich could indeed confirm that the stewards were not in sight, and would have never seen him enter from the west. With the back door out of the question, he decided to make his way around to the front, ducking under lit windows and adjusting his clothing using light from the lanterns. He didn't look half bad for what he assumed would be a party of some kind.

After taking a few more seconds to make sure he looked alright, Arich pushed one of the front doors open and stepped inside into the white light of the foyer.

The foyer of the mansion, white as the light shining from its bright decor, was far emptier than he expected. The grand staircases in front of him surrounded a small desk attended by a steward, dressed in a red outfit similar to the ones outside. He nodded in greeting after taking in Arich's presence.

To the left of the ranger is a bench, seating a slim woman with long red hair and a redder dress, accented in gold. She didn't seem to notice Arich at all, as she was more occupied with what she had in each of her hands, a small flask and a simple book.

Haven't even stepped inside the actual party yet, and there's already something to keep Arich busy:

A. Approach the desk. From the entrance, Arich can see an empty ledger and an assortment of paperwork. Of course, he might have something to ask the steward as well.

B. Stride over to the woman and make yourself known. She's probably just another guest, but perhaps you'll hear something useful.

C. Walk past the steward's desk and enter the galleria, where all the music and commotion is coming from.

D. Seems the staircase is off-limits. Better try something else. (Write-in.)
The steward will bar you from entering the second floor if you approach the stairs, but you've got your hands full with the other three options anyway.

Don't worry, they're concealed.
Talents
elemental knowledge arich dislikes using magic, but he knows a decent amount of earth and ice spells

All right, then. I vote for Arich to >Approach the desk first, before offering the woman company, or venturing deeper into the maison.

Last edited:
I'm sure we can sign the guest list if we Approach the desk, and it would be rude not to so, let's do it!

The Errant [1-7]
Despite his best efforts, Arich remains exposed to the music coming from the galleria.

The steward looks up from his own paperwork, notices Arich approaching, and greets him with a look of concern on his face.

"Welcome to the Maison Creue, sir. Is there any reason you're two hours late to the party?"

Arich nodded. "Just got lost on the road is all. From where I live, it takes a good day to get here by carrage, and I haven't been near the city in a long time."

"Of course, sir. Well, there's still a few hours to go, so feel free to enter the galleria whenever you like."

"So there's no need for me to sign this piece of paper here, based on the lack of names?"

The steward took one look at the ledger, seemingly noticing it for the first time, and tucked it into one of the desk drawers. "Our mansion is technically open to the public tonight, though we did send out 'invitations' favoring those who would arrive for the sake of lightening their purses. I presume you are only here for the food and dance, though."

Arich took a closer look at the desk, which was littered with well-inked papers and illustrations, likely meant to be read by visitors.

It might be worth observing everything here in detail. He had plenty of time to kill.

A. Read it all. The papers illustrate various artifacts and describe them in small detail.

B. "Mind telling me a little about the owners of this fine mansion?"
If you're curious about the woman reading in the foyer, mention it and Arich will be sure to ask about her as well.

C. "You sure the real party isn't happening on the second floor? I'd hate to miss out on that."

D. Step into the galleria and see what the party's all about.

E. Turn towards the woman and stride towards her with a greeting.

Inventory
Talents

Good find. ;-0 My apologies for the mix-up. I also vote for Arich to >A. Read it all. The papers illustrate various artifacts and describe them in small detail. Then, he could have a chat about the owners of the mansion, which may aid him in his conversation with the woman in the foyer (shall he have remaining time to do that).

Last edited:
The Errant [1-8]
Despite his best efforts, Arich remains exposed to the music coming from the galleria.

Arich took a few of the papers in his hand, glancing over each of them one by one. An arcane dagger here, and a dream necklace there, among the several trinkets and heirlooms that would apparently be on auction in half an hour. None of it interested him until one of the last sheets caught his eye.

In the ranger's hands was a piece of paper depicting one of the strangest, most intricate amulets he had seen. Built from what appeared to be a mix of blood rubies and gold, the chain appeared less than comfortable for wearing. The centerpiece, which appeared to be some kind of letter in an unknown language, had a black jewel inlaid in the round hole left by the letter.

That must be the amulet, Anor's voice could be heard saying. Corilyn will decipher it if we can bring it back to Chorral.

"Wanna tell me what this one does?" Arich asked the steward, noticing the lack of any description on the paper.

The man shook his head in response. "You'll have to ask it's owner. All I can tell you is they've been trying to get rid of it for a while, perhaps passing it off onto someone else."

"Well, the guy's gotta be around somewhere," Arich pressed on. "Could you point me in their direction so I could talk to them, then?"

"You'll want to speak to mistress Fiola Creue." The steward motions towards the woman on the bench. "She's Eran's daughter, and lacks much interest in parties, so it's no surprise rarely anyone recognizes tonight."

Arich nods his thanks and turns to approach the woman. After a few long strides, he's sitting on the bench next to her.

"Hello," he began. "Not much of a partygoer, I'm guessing?"

Fiola looked up from her thin book with an eyebrow raised, and responded in a soft voice.

"Is there something you wanted from me?"

A. Ask her about the amulet, since she's the most likely person to know about it

B. Try to get something going with Fiola. She's tipsy and might reveal something useful.

C. Attempt a little small-talk with her while you take a closer look at her book and what she's wearing.

D. No, these options won't do. You'd rather say this instead: (Write-in.)

Inventory
Talents

>B. Try to get something going with Fiola. She's tipsy and might reveal something useful.

The Errant [1-9]

"I figured it might be a lot nicer if we headed outside, away from all the noise and music. Surely, it's gotta be hard to concentrate with the party in the background."

Fiola held her gaze with Arich, this time with a sincere smile in her face. "Of course. But first, may I have your name?"

"Just call me Liam," the ranger quickly made up.

"Sorry, Liam, but I'm away from all the people for the reason. I've already heard this from several others in the past hour," Fiola stated, a little regretfully it seemed. "And with hardly any of the effort you were able to muster up. I'll take note of your suggestion and head outside, though."

Setting the flask down on the bench and putting her book inside a jingling handbag that was previously concealed, Fiola strode towards the front doors, taking slow and deliberate steps as she pushed past them and turned out of sight.

Arich shrugged. He couldn't expect things to go his way all the time. He would just have to find another route to the information he needed to find the amulet.

What's next, then?

A. Enter the galleria, enjoy the party a little, and look for information before the auction.

B. Follow Fiola outside. It doesn't sound like she minds Arich's presence yet, so she should be fine with this.

C. Ask the steward questions, just to pass the time, and learn more about the partygoers, the owner of the mansion, and the items being sold at the auction.

D. The steward is alone in the foyer, and no one will notice if a more forceful approach is taken here.

Inventory
Talents

✧ a. enter the galleria, enjoy the party a little, and look for information before the auction.

we gonn end up suspicious unless we don't get detected all the way,,,

>A. Enter the galleria, enjoy the party a little, and look for information before the auction.

I am most curious about Fiola's handbag, but regardless of what we find on her, for me, it seems better to assess the inside of the galleria for potential escape routes, information for the task to be done more smoothly, and possibly--people to frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back