• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Multiple Settings The Aspirant

One Sleepless Night

official clown business

Okay so our name is Piss and we are the Mafioso

Corilyn blinked her eyes a few times, getting used to the sudden brightness of the study. Though it was always candlelit, stepping in from the moonless sky wasn't nearly as pleasant for the eyes as it used to seem, especially since they would have preferred to rest themselves in bed during this time. Corey was used to it, of course. She'd had insomnia all her life and there didn't seem to be a cure in the world, magical or physical, for such an ailment.

After adjusting herself to the brightness, Corey sauntered over towards the center of the study, her eyes focused on the single object she and Anor had discovered last week. Resting on a simple wooden pillar in front of her was a crystalline orb somewhat larger than her head, occasionally shimmering multiple colors. Though Corey had spent several days attempting to study the orb and discover its properties, her efforts were almost entirely fruitless and she eventually decided it was little more than an expensive household decoration, meant for an ancient hoard or a mansion of some kind.

Tonight, however, the orb had called out to her, sought her out by name. As reluctant as Corey was to be summoned to such a mysterious object, her insomnia had been acting up this time and she couldn't think about anything else, so she eventually found herself in the study, staring at the orb as it suddenly shifted from abstract colors to definite images - images of people she had met in passing, but never got to know too well.

Three images flashed in her mind at once - an ambitious ranger, an enigmatic drakir... and her younger self.

The Orb called out to her again, as if expecting a choice to be made between the three.

A. The Aspirant
A fresh face to Chorral, Arich Liordei has finally done away with his training and has but one step to take before he becomes a fully-fledged Rider, something he considers a stepping stone towards fulfilling all his other aspirations in life.

Before he can take the step forward, however, one of the more senior Riders, David Ars, has personally assigned him what he considers a small 'task' - retreive an artifact of value from the Maison Creue and leave without making any unnecessary noise.

Having accepted the task, Arich now finds himself alongside David and atop Anor as they fly towards the Maison, briefing the fledgling rider on what they can expect to find at their destination.

He'll need to make use of all he's learned so far if he doesn't want to bollocks this one up.

B. Blissful Recollections
Corilyn nearly jumped back in excitement upon seeing the snowed-in cabin, one of the only things she really remembered from her youth. Would she really be granted the chance to revive her own memories at this very moment?

The secrets behind Corey's younger days are guarded even from her closest friends, but today she's willing to reveal the blissful days of her ten year old self to the few she's known for years. Already, it's starting to come back to her.

A rider since birth, gifted with animals since her earliest days in this world, little Corilyn can be seen retreiving a stick from her faithful friend Kalemu, and throwing it to begin the cycle once again. Her other companions, Xalphin and Nials, are just out of view, but she knows one thing:

They'll be waiting for her to come back and pay the three of them one last visit.

C. The Nameless Wanderer
Corilyn is well-acquainted with those who appear more lizard or dragon-like than human, but even so she had to admit the red and blue fellow she met a couple years back was a complete enigma.

He doesn't seem to remember anything of his past - his name, his skills, and the perspective of life he's gained over the years don't truly belong to him. How he even came to be associated with the Riders is another mystery altogether.

What Corey sees in front of her isn't the fellow's true past, but what appears to be the aftermath of his apparent amnesia. Face down in the middle of a deep forest, the wanderer has yet to rise from his coma.

Will this brief recollection be enough to uncover any clues about his past life?

each character has their own unique items, traits, & skills that are revealed at the beginning of the quest.
for now, you'll simply have to read the summaries to see what kind of personality one might have, as that affects the quest choices.

Last edited:
hello there~

✧ a. the aspirant

if she were to choose again, i'd prefer she chose her earliest memory last.

Alright, then! If you wish to leave this choice up to chance, then so be it. Just in case someone really wants to break the tie, though, I'll catch some sleep, and we'll see what the final decision is in 12 hours.

The Aspirant Awakens
Arich Liordei used to be a familiar face around Chorral, but soon after his induction he was already off on his own, seeking a larger role in the world with his newfound companion. Corilyn didn't quite recall what happened during that time, as most of her years among the Riders were spent travelling the world with her close friends. It felt odd that she couldn't remember, though - felt more like empty space in her mind rather than simple forgetfulness.

In any case, Corey had made up her mind. As the image of Arich flashed across her vision, she clasped the orb tightly with both hands, prepared for whatever the outcome might be.
The orb began quietly humming and vibrating with energy, and soon Corey's hands and arms followed suit. She could feel the energy preparing to flow through the rest of her body, but it instead concentrated itself on the dream pendant hanging from her neck, twisting the shades of its purple gemstone ever so slightly.

She wasn't looking, though. The study around was rapidly reduced to a blur as dizziness and lightheadedness began to take over Corey, who closed her eyes in acceptance of the sleep that would soon overcome her. A few seconds later, she was sprawled over on the floor of the study, in a deep sleep.

When Corilyn awakens, she will be watching the world from the eyes of Arich Liordei, the Aspirant.
and... she'll be waking up soon. sometime today, let's hope.

The Errant [1-1]
Wake up, Arich. We are almost there!

The ranger shot up in alarm, glancing frantically at the night sky around him before coming back to his senses.
"Fucking hell, Anor," Arich complained, raising his voice against the wind. "Is this what I can expect to wake up to every day when I get my buddy?"

After receiving no response from the dragon or the man in front of him, Arich decided not to push it and check on the gear he had brought with him, making sure nothing was missing. Afterwards, he ran his hand through the short brown hair on his head, feeling it whipping backwards from the breeze.

The ranger took a quick glance at his travelling companions. The first was Anor, a traditional dark green dragon who seemed to always be nearby whenever Corey or David were around. Though he was large enough to carry half a dozen riders without issue, Arich had rarely seen him do more than stand around at Chorral, keeping watch over the riders' day-by-day activities or conversing with his friends.

Arich looks back up towards David, a man with a slicked back head of brown hair who wore little more than a white woolen tunic, topped with a brown vest and simple black pants. His face gave away his expression, eyebrow raised expectantly as the ranger silently finished his once-over.

"Right, David," Arich quickly began, "I'm awake now. So, how much longer until we're there?"

"We'll be at the maison in ten minutes," David replied. "I'm hoping you remember what you're supposed to do when you get there."

"Oh, yeah, of course," the ranger answered. "Get inside the mansion, grab the thing, and dragon away before the host realizes they've been made."

"Right, right. So you remember exactly what it is you were supposed to retrieve, I'm assuming?"

Arich might've forgotten this particular detail of the briefing, but he decided he would take a crack at it anyway.

"Of course I do, David-"

A. "-you wanted me to get an orb or something for Corey, right?"

B. "-how could I forget about the amulet you were looking for?"

C. "-they're experimenting with an arrow that fucks dragons right up!"

D. Mentally reach out to Anor for backup. He probably overheard the briefing, right?

Better check on my stuff!
arcane bow folds neatly in half, but is completely lacking in subtlety
knuckledusters when you absolutely need to get your hands dirty
lockpicks for dishonest people or fledgling riders on a mission
body armor black studded pauldrons look pretty good with what you're wearing right now
clothing a dark blue tunic with black accents, the long sleeves concealed by similarly long brown gloves. on his legs are black pants and brown boots with black accents
Talents
trained in combat knowledge of weapon techniques from rider training may be useful
patient maintain awareness and clarity of thought in chaotic situations. arich cannot panic
elemental knowledge arich dislikes using magic, but he knows a decent amount of earth and ice spells

I'm a little confused--so, for safety, >D. Mentally reach out to Anor for backup. He probably overheard the briefing, right?

I'd like to stay safe. I choose D. Mentally reach out to Anor for backup. He probably overheard the briefing, right?

The Errant [1-2]
For a brief moment, Arich considered taking the safer route and having Anor bail him out. But he was pretty sure he knew what he was saying time.

"-how could I forget about the amulet you were looking for? It's the sinister-looking one - black and gold, right?"

As David nodded in confirmation, Arich sighed internally, relieved he had remembered everything this time.

"Yes, that's the one," David said. "If you know exactly what you're looking for, this shouldn't be much more than a simple errand. Once you're inside the mansion, it'll be all you, and Anor should be able to give you the rest of the details from the sky."

There is one more, very important thing you must know, Arich, a deep voice spoke within the fledgling's head. Corilyn wished for me to tell you not to interact with the artifact in any way, aside from carrying it. Do not wear it, and do not press the onyx.

Why not?
Arich asked. What happens if I do?

Do not interact with the amulet,
Anor's voice repeated. The ranger waited a few moments to see if anything else would be said, but after the warning his mind had gone silent for the time being.

"Awfully serious fellow today, isn't he?" Arich wondered aloud. David turned back towards him, curious.

"Serious? About what?"

"Forget about it," Arich responded dismissively. He couldn't stand how oblivious the man was to every mental conversation he'd been a part of. It probably explained why he never saw David alone when he was riding, since it seemed like he always needed someone to translate thoughts midflight.

Arich didn't feel the need to make a big deal out of this fact, so he decided to lean back and relax for the next several minutes of the flight. Perhaps it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to ask a question or two, and strike up some quick conversation before the three reached the maison.

What does Arich have the most interest in asking about?

A. Really, now, Arich has seen Anor and most of the other companions speak their mind to entire gatherings of Riders at once, and yet David seems to be oblivious to it all. Why, though?

B. Ask where the leader of the Riders has been. She's been gone for a week or so and Arich had never gotten the chance to hear why.

C. Ask about the amulet, and come up with a few guesses with David and Anor on what the it might do if one were to actually wear it or touch its jewel.

D. Relax, no need for all these extra details. Just ask the two how their friends back at Chorral are doing.

✧ c. ask about the amulet, and come up with a few guesses with david and anor on what the it might do if one were to actually wear it or touch its jewel.

I vote for >D. Relax, no need for all these extra details. Just ask the two how their friends back at Chorral are doing.

The Errant [1-3]
"So, how's everything going for your friends back at Chorral?" Arich inquired. "Seems like they haven't had much time to relax the past couple weeks, with half the Riders' best on holiday and all."

"You're right about that," David agreed with a sigh. "The most senior members are off in the desert looking for something, and that's left the rest of us to take care of things here.

"Corey has had her hands absolutely full with pretty much every dragon and gryphon in Chorral, and she works nonstop, even in her sleep. I worry about her sometimes, but Anor is always with her and he keeps telling me things will be fine."

Your concern is appreciated, Anor told Arich when later asked, but sleepless nights have not befallen Corilyn for the better of a year. She will be fine.

"Sounds like she'll do alright," Arich assured David. "She never seems to really sleep, in my opinion, but she's damned good with dragons which explains why she wants to be around them all the time. What about your other friend, though?"

"Cenephar can handle himself, without a doubt. The three of us have known him for several years, and we've seen his fighting skill firsthand. I don't think he would have taught you personally, but I'm sure you've seen him showing off his warrior skills to the Riders once or twice." David sighed wistfully. "That's pretty much us right there. Four friends who know each other far better than any of the other Riders."

_________________________​

After a few minutes of relaxation, Anor dipped below the clouds and fog to reveal the destination of their flight: the Maison Creue, just an hour or two from the nearest city. It was a fairly large estate, with a wide two-story cobble and a well-tended courtyard, hedges and all. More importantly, though, Arich noticed the mansion was fully-lit, with carrages and horses bordering the front of the courtyard.

"They're having a party, aren't they?" David quietly asked to himself. "Too bad Anor and I aren't dressed for the occasion."

A moment later, the dragon had flown to a shrouded forest a few minutes west of the mansion, landing quietly and gently lowering himself to let Arich dismount. The ranger turned towards David, waiting for him to do the same, but no movement was made.

"I thought you were coming into the mansion with me," Arich said. "If you can't talk to Anor while you're in the air I don't see how you could help out at all."

David shrugged in response. "I'll just move the saddle closer to his head. We can manage it up there."

Anor appeared to make a scowl, and his rider sighed, dismounting to make the adjustment. It was clear this change would put both of them in a rather uncomfortable position when they took flight again. The dragon's blue eyes regarded your own, taking on a serious shade.

"Remember," Anor growled, "do not wear the amulet, or activate it. Bring it to David as soon as you find it."

David's addition was to "Do it however you like, but keep the noise to a minimum. If people figure out what you're up to, then it'll be a long night for all of us."

Before Arich gets going, he responds:

A. "No problem. Get in, get the amulet, and get out without anyone realizing. Should be a cakewalk."

B. "You sure you don't want to tag along, David?"

C. "Can you tell me a little more about the maison before I get moving?"

D. "What's your policy on killing people?"

✧ a. "no problem. get in, get the amulet, and get out without anyone realizing. should be a cakewalk."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back