• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.
Barkbrew RP.png
The Setting
Long ago, in the corrupt, modern, mercantile city of Sproutholm crime was rampant and the monarchy, grasping at the straws of power they had left, most of which withstood of deciding the hours of the theater and determining which god was prettier looking and the least likely to wipe the city for minor clashes with the religious code bound to be broken by the untamed, perpetually bickering, and in the eyes of most gods, sinning citizens of Sproutholm, decided that they needed to re-conquer their previously held influence and took the riches of and illegalized the Thieves’ guild, the organization that had been responsible for organizing all crime, so that citizens were robbed and vandalized in accordance with their income, and combatted the now rising crime with magic-using guilds sponsored by the monarchy’s freshly stolen funds.The use of magic, having formerly been outlawed, greatly empowered the monarchy, as most people dare not mess with the arcane, by account of the completely rational fear of turning into another exotic creature to be displayed in the cages and pens of the local ooz (Original Organism Zeitgeists) at the expense of a spell gone wrong.

Some people have since proven themselves able to utilize magic without any significant risk and with natural ease, seemingly without any genetic correlation or other factor. Usually, these people don’t tap into their arcane abilities, but those who do typically do so by an inherently magical occurrence, a catalyst, activating their potential. These people are sought out by guilds and subsequently employed, being of high-value.

Information
The setting is very DnD-esque and highly inspired by Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, while also having the freedom and character-individuality of Fairy Tail. I act more as a GM, playing the NPC's and the world, rather than being a player myself and if you wanna buy supplies, explore and such you can ask me if your character would know where to go and such or you could do it yourself. I like the interaction, though. It is essentially a Fairy Tail type of guild with a mission board and the likes.

I am willing to incorporate a lot of magical creatures if you are willing to compromise, but as a baseline, here’s a list in case you need ideas.

Human
Elf ( Average lifespan of 150 years)
Half-elf
Dwarf
Halfling
Goblin
Half-orc (No orcs; Too dumb)
Dragonborn (In the style of Dungeons and Dragons, effectively strong humans with a breath weapon, not close to a dragon in terms of power)

In terms of your magical prowess, you’re all going to start out weak. This is supposed to be a longer roleplay; You will progress. As for your magical powers, I will read through your character sheet and judge them for myself, telling you to change something if it’s too powerful. There’s mainly 4 types of magic in this world:

• Innate Magic, aka, Fairy Tail magic
Meaning that you just have some inherent affinity for a specific type of magic, typically centered around a certain concept or power (Flame, ice, monkey, ant-summoning, sound-manipulation, you know, whatever thing you may like) and can use it limited only by “energy” or mana, whatever you wanna call it. Just don’t spam things too much.

• Patron magic, aka Warlockry, aka Magical Sugardaddy
You’re sitting in a tavern. Some random dude gives you a fiver and asks you to piss in a keg of beer down in the cellar every monday. That’s essentially the contract of a patron, except that same guy will come and drown you in piss, should you fail to fulfill your contract (And the fiver represents your magical powers, obviously). A patron can be any very powerful magical creature, if you can make the case. Patron powers have pretty limited growth but there might be workarounds.

• Spell Magic, aka The Hard Way (Why do this to yourself?)
Real wizards are the eighth son of an eighth son, and they don’t use innate magic, they use spellbooks and wacky incantations. If anyone wants to use this, it’s basically Vancian magic (Look it up).

• Magic items, aka Better Get A Wii Remote Strap
Magical items exist in many forms, but there’s rarely, if ever, anyway to progress the magic in them. Some items need attunement, meaning that you need to sleep with it every night and praise it for being a good little Flaming Trident, yes you are.

The Questions
Now, this is an interest check, so I still need your help deciding something.

Should the roleplay begin at the event that activates your magical powers, having all of you become benders of the arcane at the same time or should it begin at the formation of the guild, having already activated your powers?

Should we use dice rolls (D20) to check for success of attacks and other things?

Also, there will of course be a minimum post limit of one paragraph per post and two posts per week.

Last edited:
Possibly interested. If people agree with the x2 posts per week then this could work for me.

I'm also interested in it. Two things however
First off, will there be a discord ooc?
Secondly, I agree with Zeph but I'd prefer a 1 per week but will most likely be 2 times a week but my schedule is never consistent to guarantee 2 per.

I'm also interested in it. Two things however
First off, will there be a discord ooc?
Secondly, I agree with Zeph but I'd prefer a 1 per week but will most likely be 2 times a week but my schedule is never consistent to guarantee 2 per.
We could have a discord OOC, if there is the mood for it.

I am not really willing to compromise with the 2 posts per week rule, as it kills RPs to not have such rules. I especially am not willing to compromise with someone who has a history of joining roleplays, posting a single post, and never posting again, sorry.

Also if people could answer the questions posed in the original post that’d be great

Last edited:
I especially am not willing to compromise with someone who has a history of joining roleplays, posting a single post, and never posting again, sorry.
Subtracting my interest for this alone.

You don’t do someone dirty like this man.

Also simply letting you know I’m subtracting my interest from this so you don’t pull another one of these should we cross paths again.

Also, there will of course be a minimum post limit of one paragraph per post and two posts per week.
You had me at "inspired by Discworld," but this is a cherry on top.

Also simply letting you know I’m subtracting my interest from this so you don’t pull another one of these should we cross paths again.
I'd say his assessment is more than reasonable. Being a GM is a pain in the ass; the fact this man is willing to go out of his way to run background checks on his potential players means he's very dedicated to his hobby, which is the hallmark of a potentially optimal GM.

Should the roleplay begin at the event that activates your magical powers, having all of you become benders of the arcane at the same time or should it begin at the formation of the guild, having already activated your powers?

Should we use dice rolls (D20) to check for success of attacks and other things?
I'd say if it begins at the activation of magical powers, the intro will be a clusterfuck of random, distant, unrelated events, which risks detracting from the story of a unified guild of arcanists. So I would say the formation of the guild.

Maybe? I'm personally willing to trust in the rational judgment and storytelling abilities of other players when it comes to this, so long as it's reasonable - I don't think dice is necessary, but it could be fun to spruce things up from time to time.

You had me at "inspired by Discworld," but this is a cherry on top.

I'd say his assessment is more than reasonable. Being a GM is a pain in the ass; the fact this man is willing to go out of his way to run background checks on his potential players means he's very dedicated to his hobby, which is the hallmark of a potentially optimal GM.

I'd say if it begins at the activation of magical powers, the intro will be a clusterfuck of random, distant, unrelated events, which risks detracting from the story of a unified guild of arcanists. So I would say the formation of the guild.

Maybe? I'm personally willing to trust in the rational judgment and storytelling abilities of other players when it comes to this, so long as it's reasonable - I don't think dice is necessary, but it could be fun to spruce things up from time to time.
Oh I was thinking one collective event activating the powers of all the characters, unifying them by that event. Sorry that I didn't clarify.

I don't like people wasting our collective time. Unlike a lot of GMs I'm not desperate for players. I invest effort into those who invest effort back.

I'd be interested, but I wouldn't be able to do much until March, as I am currently on the internet only once a week due to personal reasons that I can share in DM but not on an open forum, I also agree with the 2 posts a week, that's a great idea. But again, I won't be able to commit to that until March. I believe we should start at the formation of the guild, and maybe have some backstory that we use flashbacks in if people have trouble filling the length requirements for a post

This sounds pretty cool, consider me interested! I can usually post pretty consistently though I am admittedly a little rusty, but hopefully that shouldn't cause too much trouble

in terms of the questions in the thread so far:
1) I think guild formation is a better place to start, it gives everyone an opportunity for interesting character backstory/motivation and they can have a little bit of experience with their abilities so as to not be totally incompetent at the start
2) most of my RP experience is with D&D so I'm all for the d20. makes things a little more objective in combat imo
3) I very much like the idea of an ooc Discord, especially since I tend to spend more time there than here.
4) frankly, my last RP group on here fell apart from lack of posts (among other things) so a strict 2 posts per week policy is something I am 100% on board with

I'd be interested, but I wouldn't be able to do much until March, as I am currently on the internet only once a week due to personal reasons that I can share in DM but not on an open forum, I also agree with the 2 posts a week, that's a great idea. But again, I won't be able to commit to that until March. I believe we should start at the formation of the guild, and maybe have some backstory that we use flashbacks in if people have trouble filling the length requirements for a post
It’s fine, it spices things up if a new guild member joins.

Judging from all your replies it seems that we will start at the guilds formation and won’t be using dice. I will begin writing the intro, cs, etc. shortly.

Classic D&D Fantasy? Discworld inspiration? Steady post period? Grade A roast of archetypes? I demand to be in this. I wonder if plague doctor outfits are in any fashion in this world?

This sounds interesting, although I was wondering if I'm allowed to play a sentiant duck? I'll probably still join even if I couldn't play as a duck.

If you're accepting I'm interested

The Questions
Personally I prefer the beginning to have the characters already have some ability, but still with a lot of room to grow.

We can, I don't know how that would work.

Last edited:
If you're accepting I'm interested

The Questions
Personally I prefer the beginning to have the characters already have some ability, but still with a lot of room to grow.

We can, I don't know how that would work.
The character sheet, main thread and OOC are already up and those questions are settled. We are indeed accepting.

I'm interested! Is there still a slot available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back