Anime & Manga The Anime Recommendations Index

Noon

Ace of Blades

It's barely been a day since the anime section opened up, and there's already a ton of threads requesting recommendations - like this one, that one, this other one, and a few more. People note down their favourite genre and the series they've already watched, then ask for suggestions based on their personal preferences. That's cool. I get why people do it; I've done it a fair few times myself on various forums outside of RpNation. But here's the problem: it's already getting old. At some point, everyone's going to get tired of asking the same questions and writing the same answers all the time.

So let's make a spoiler-free index of anime recommendations.

We're never going to eliminate request threads, but I'd bet that we can save ourselves a few headaches by keeping all of our suggestions in one place. It doesn't matter how mainstream, weird, good or bad you think a series is. If we can add a no-spoilers synopsis for every anime we can think of (preferably just one entry per movie/series), we'll have somewhere to look when we need something new to watch. Think MyAnimeList, but more direct.

Information to include:
  • Title
  • Movie or series
  • Thumbnail
  • Genre
  • Description
  • Similar media
  • Trigger warnings
I'll give you an example and some code to copy if you want to format it. Let's add all the anime we can.

0tXEcCD.png

Code:
[centerblock=60][justify]

[center][size=7][b]ANIME NAME[/size][/b]
GENRE
MOVIE/SERIES/NUMBER OF SEASONS/EPISODES

[img]THUMBNAIL URL[/img]

[i]BRIEF DESCRIPTION[/i]

[b]Recommended if you liked:[/b] SIMILAR ANIME/MANGA//WESTERN TV/BOOKS/COMICS HERE

[b]Trigger warnings:[/b] POSSIBLE TRIGGERS HERE (PHOBIAS, SEX, VIOLENCE, DRUG USE, ETC)

[/justify][/centerblock]

0tXEcCD.png

Steins;Gate
sci-fi / thriller
series / 1 season / 24 episodes

Steins-Gate.jpg

A clique of young scientists accidentally turn their microwave into a time machine, and then have to use it to prevent impending chaos whilst maintaining the precious balance of the world. Exploring conspiracy, loneliness and the butterfly effect, it tells a beautiful story of physics and friendship.

Recommended if you liked: Re:Zero, Edge of Tomorrow, Mirai Nikki, The Butterfly Effect

Trigger warnings: paranoia, conspiracy theories, suicide

Last edited:
Uchouten Kazoku
comedy / slice of life / drama
SERIES / 1 Season / 13 episodes

tAOgHJ4.gif

Kyoto has been populated by groups of tanuki and tengu for years, living alongside humans who are oblivious to the existence of these creatures. Yasaburou Shimogamo is the third son of an influential tanuki family who spends his carefree days taking care of an old tengu, observing humans through his ability to shapeshift, and dealing with the mysterious Benten.

Recommended if you liked: Atmospheric/cultural stuff

Trigger warnings: Cannibalism?

Ajin
horror / action / thriller
SERIES / 2 Seasons / 26 episodes

08e3Peb.jpg

Mysterious immortal humans known as "Ajin" first appeared 17 years ago in Africa. Upon their discovery, they were labeled as a threat to mankind, as they might use their powers for evil and were incapable of being destroyed. Since then, whenever an Ajin is found within society, they are to be arrested and taken into custody immediately. Kei thought he was a normal human, but it turns out he is an Ajin and has to go on the run.

Recommended if you liked: Tokyo Ghoul, Code Geass probably

Trigger warnings: Gore, Suicide, Torture

to be fair, a bunch of rec threads were moved over all at once and predate the existence of the anime/manga section

Last edited:

Zankyou no Terror
psychological / thriller
series / 1 season / 11 episodes

Zankyou-no-Terror-Anime-Wallpaper.jpg

Six months following an attack on a nuclear facility, Nine and Twelve begin their online masquerade as a pair of masked terrorists, using the name Sphinx as a public alias. They play explosive games with Japan's law enforcement in an attempt to transcend the traumatic past they can't leave behind, and former detective Shibazaki must step in to counter the new threat.

Recommended if you liked: AnoHana, Psycho-Pass, slice-of-life stories, tear-jerkers

Trigger warnings: terrorism, abduction, smoking, parental abuse (minor), suicide (minor)

That honestly doesn't surprise me, but it's mildly disappointing. It can be fixed.

I'm triggered the op took my favorite anime ever and recommended. KYS ty

____

Assassination classroom
Shonen, 25 episodes

Lovable occuptus man threatens to blow up the earth after destroying half the moon. He decides to teach one class and their objective is to kill him before the end of the school year.

Recommended if you liked:

Trigger warnings: There's no tentacle hentai in the series

yay time to post my favorite anime ever

KAIJI
Seinen/2 seasons/52 episodes (in total)

80032.jpg

A young man who has done nothing with his life and is swimming in debt takes a deal to participate in an underground gamble. The psychological thriller is filled with mind games and deceit, and it's difficult to stop watching. Don't be put off by the unusual art style, you'll get used to it and it's really, really worth it.

Recommended if you liked: Death Note, No Game No Life, Monster

Trigger warnings: Violence and blood

Samurai Champloo
Action / Adventure
Series / 2 seasons / 26 episodes

c0211450715bd69296c647252f6718a6.jpg

A hot-blooded rogue and a cool-tempered ronin, each running from his respective past, meet a determined young girl in search of her father, a samurai who smells of sunflowers. They're (somewhat unwillingly) swept up into her story and into a madcap adventure through the countryside. Seamlessly blends semi-historical feudal Japan with a stylish hip-hop aesthetic.

Recommended if you liked: Cowboy Bebop, Afro Samurai, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai 7

Trigger warnings: Mild drug use, sex trafficking, brief suicide mention, violence

Mononoke
Mystery/Horror/Historical/Seinen/Supernatural
Series/1 season/12 episodes

20713.jpg

A strange, ageless man known only under the nickname Medicine Seller wanders the Earth. His goal is to exterminate malevolent spirits called Mononoke, however that isn't so simple. In order to draw Sword of Exorcism, he must first investigate each case and learn the Mononoke's Form, Truth and Reasoning. Watch as he slowly uncovers human tragedies hidden behind the terrifying supernatural occurrences.

Recommended if you liked: Requiem from The Darkness/ghost stories based on Japanese mythology in general

Trigger warnings: Violence/Incest/Abortion/Sexual Assault/Suicide... The themes regarding sexuality aren't explicit, but they're still present, so tread lightly. It's a very dark series in general.

0tXEcCD.png

Gosick
Detective/Historical Drama/Romance
Series/1 Season/24 Episodes

Gosick-wallpaper-2-700x438.jpg

Kujo Kazuya has transferred to St. Marguerite Academy in the country of Sauville, where ghost stories are extremely popular. There, he meets Victorique, a beautiful young girl who rarely ever leaves the library and spending most of her time reading and solving mysteries. The series follows these mysteries that she solves, with the help of Kujo and other friends.

Recommended if you liked: Mysteries/Ghost Stories, Code Geass? (Mind-boggling)

Trigger warnings: Feels, Weird Hair, Bloody (sometimes)

Pandora Hearts
Mystery/Drama/Psychological Thriller
Series/1 Season/25 Episodes
Manga/24 Volumes

Oz Vessalius's coming-of-age ceremony goes horribly wrong when he's thrown into the "Abyss," a prison only mentioned in tales to scare children into obedience. He meets a girl named Alice, and together they must find a way to get out of the Abyss.

Recommended if you liked: Mind Fucks, Plot Twists, Drama

Trigger warnings: Mind Fuck, Shit Ending to Anime, (Both) Feels Beyond Compare, Blood/Violence

Gangsta.
action / drama / seinen
series / 1 season / 12 episodes

maxresdefault.jpg

Taking on the grisly jobs nobody else wants to do, Nicolas and Worick (also known as the Handymen) roam the streets of Ergastalum as ruthless mercenaries for hire. But their half-hell, half-paradise is in danger. Nic is a Twilight - a human engineered to have incredible power - and he's a prime target in an impending war against people like himself.

Recommended if you liked: Tokyo Ghoul, Durarara!! , anything with street fights

Trigger warnings: prostitution, drug use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back