Experiences That One Partner

Adamant Silence

Ever have that one partner that is super talented and every response they make in an RP makes you super excited? Do you still have that partner or have you/they since moved on? Is it hard to find partners that fit your style in other roleplays? I've often found it difficult to find another partner that had similar tastes to mine when it comes to stories and writing, but maybe it's just me? Maybe not? Is anyone else struggling to find Mr./Mrs. Right RP Partner?

Ever have that one partner that is super talented and every response they make in an RP makes you super excited? Do you still have that partner or have you/they since moved on? Is it hard to find partners that fit your style in other roleplays? I've often found it difficult to find another partner that had similar tastes to mine when it comes to stories and writing, but maybe it's just me? Maybe not? Is anyone else struggling to find Mr./Mrs. Right RP Partner?

You are not alone, it's sincerely hard to find the similar tastes on a lot of sites, that wasn't that hard before.
before, i just discussed with fellow fans, and then, we could share a story together.

So yes, i struggle, but at the same time, i try to put my mind on the discussions section of whatever sites.

When I joined a friend's forum around 2011, it took maybe a couple of months later for me to find the most awesome partner and dude to change my roleplay life and real life. To this day we still write all sorts of stories like on Google Keep and my own basic site. His posts are always exciting and he's understanding plus I can drop a plot twist without fear of him going all ape about it so yes I would say that it is hard to find other partners like that.

Though I'm on a break from roleplay when I did actively searching I found it hard to find partners with similar interests as my own, I didn't give up however. It's not just you. When you have certain interests you want to find someone that can at least share that and have some understanding or you both come to a compromise.

I've had a few partners like that, but they tend to disappear pretty quickly, sometimes when we just barely started or even before that due to life circumstances. I understand your struggle in finding very specific interest match-ups, I suffer from that problem too. Still, even for your precious time, remember to be upfront but willing to compromise! Keep in mind what's actually important and try to be more flexible on the rest, and of course, make sure you let the other know your preferences and interests at face value don't wait until the RP starts to start revealing what you like or not or how you roleplay etc...

Sound advice, you guys! I definitely agree that compromising and being open are also important in finding the right partner. Stepping out of one's comfort zone usually helps. But maybe not so far if something makes you super uncomfortable.

Sound advice, you guys! I definitely agree that compromising and being open are also important in finding the right partner. Stepping out of one's comfort zone usually helps. But maybe not so far if something makes you super uncomfortable.
Agreed. When I first started I thought I couldn't play male characters I didn't actually I just played females. Stepping out of my comfort zone I tried males I put everything into playing them just as I would with any of my females and bam have been playing both ever since.

It's depends on wich comfort, but why not?

Playing all sorts of characters is so much fun. I think it also helps to be able to communicate with your partner. Like, some partners are okay with unannounced plot twists and others need to be asked/plot with you. I'm more into the former cause I like to be challenged. Some people don't, and that's okay.

Playing all sorts of characters is so much fun. I think it also helps to be able to communicate with your partner. Like, some partners are okay with unannounced plot twists and others need to be asked/plot with you. I'm more into the former cause I like to be challenged. Some people don't, and that's okay.
I see, however, i wouldn't play as female characters at all, i'm way too much not ready for that.

I would agree. It's easy to find many partners. Yet, it difficult to find that one that right for you. There are rp partners that can make rp come alive and partners that are just okay. And that goes for both sides. Meaning we can also be great rp for some and really awful for others. ^_^

The elusive Goldilocks partner. I’m still role playing with mine. I think it’s either luck or effort, in finding the right partners, and I do want to stress the idea that role playing with a partner should never be just okay in my opinion. I’ve found myself kind of dutifully keeping up with roleplays in the past because they were kind of just there, and they weren’t a negative experience by any means, and I got to write and create so they did add value to my day. But if a roleplay doesn’t genuinely excite you, there’s really no point in doing it. If the premise itself is good but your partner’s not a good fit for you, I think it’s better to have one very good partner or be looking for that one very good partner than have a bunch of partners that you feel kind of “meh” about.
The best way to find a partner you’ll click with is full transparency. Also, make an actual list if you can of things you won’t compromise on, for reference when you find yourself swept up in a new idea. I’ve found myself so interested in a premise that I thought I could deal with someone’s very different writing style. That was a mistake, every time. Know where the limit of compromise lies for you.

My partner and I have been writing together for over 15 years. We refer to each other as "write wife" which is pretty hysterical in my mind. Finding the perfect partner is incredibly difficult, I wish there was a secret formula to finding Mr. or Mrs. Write.
Call it luck, good fortune, whatever, the magical circumstances by which I found my number 2 are mysterious and impossible to replicate. We 'get' each other. There's never any disagreement. We sync so well, its insane, there is never any question of where the story is going or whether or not it will collapse in on itself, we are both dedicated to making it happen!

This all sounds like bragging...but, finding additional partners has been difficult---possibly because I have rose colored lenses distorting my vision. Ive had to be really honest with people and step out of my comfort zone while searching for other writing buddies.

It would be great if the forum had an area for clubs or guilds. "Advanced Writers" "Fantasy Fanfic" etc.

I can relate to this, but less finding people who have similar tastes and more finding people who balance with me well. I struggle to find partners that chill and mesh with me. I had one and we were amazing together, but we had a RL falling out of sorts and I've never found another partner who just shrugged me off as well as she did.

I'm struggling SO hard to find someone like this! I've roleplayed with a few people like this! One was suffering from personal problems and haven't messaged me back at all! They were busy with work and school, and I doubt they even remember me. It was about three years prior! The latest was really great for a while, but they were starting to take their roleplays into a direction that made me really uncomfortable! :( I'm on the hunt for some nice roleplay partners to fill the excitement void I have of opening my messages and seeing their replies honestly. It really gave me something to come home excited to!

I have, actually, three RP partners that I absolutely adore and would *never* change them for the world. They have become great friends of mine, we can talk about pretty much anything from personal life to just random BS... Every day is constant back-and-forth RPs, and conversations in OOC chat areas. We all have similar styles, tastes, and preferences, all have the same RP agenda and work hard at getting an actual story out that people thoroughly enjoy.

If I ever lost either of those three, I would be so lost and devastated that I would very likely stop RPing for a while, to recuperate from the losses. I hope I don't lose them as RP partners, but most importantly I hope that I never lose them as friends; they're the pillar of light at the end of a very dark tunnel for me!

I had one, who was really great at posting and was very talented at DM-ing, keeping the story moving and such. They were very open to ideas and we had plenty of OOC discussion outside of the RP. They actually ran tons of RPs with several people at a time. Quite the lord of tale telling. Unfortunately we often misunderstood one another, because of some age and language barriers, so the relationship between our characters fell apart after they reached the climax of their plotline. I've still not found "the one" when it comes to writing partners. But I've enjoyed the stories nonetheless.

It's probably the worst and best thing that can happen to an RPer. The right RPer can give you an endorphin-rush just by responding; you haven't even gotten to reading the response yet. Other and subsequent RPers may always be subconsciously compared to that RPer and the high (or lack-of) that ensues.

Many of my partners were like that and I think I was super lucky in that department.
With most of them we don't play anymore, but we still keep in touch as friends with some.

My current partners are like that too! There were times when I wanted to wake up early in the morning only because I wanted to read their reply as soon as possible. I hope I'll continue to rp with them for a long time. ^^

Back in 2008 till about 2014, I was able to find partners on my former forum all the time. They would come in swarms. But now a days, all I can seem to find are one-liner writing, foaming from the mouth fangirls who only want me to write their fanfictions. :( It's a little upsetting and the primary reason why I have left that website, as of today, and have found my way here.

Fingers crossed!

Back when I first joined this site, under a different account I later deleted out of embarrassment, I had an RP partner I just clicked with. Her writing was amazing and she seemed to just eat up all of my ideas and turn them into solid gold when she posted. I, unfortunately, lost touch with her when I had to focus on my schoolwork, and now I don't know if she's still on this site. It's an RPN Cinderella story, except I don't even have a slipper to show for it. It's a shame too, in the four years I've been around this site I've really improved, and I think I could be closer to the level she was at then. I've tried playing out the same plot with different people, but it's never the same. Now I'm just stuck chasing that first high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back