• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Terrorchild: Lythrefang Induction

[Maldred.]
[Random Result Winner: Maldred]
Yazmis read aloud the symbols as the stone crossed over them, although they didn't seem to correspond to the alphabet you were familiar with. When she had finished speaking them, the characters faded back into the grain of the wood and she cast you a curious look. "Mald-red," she pronounced, "torn-from-the-clay. An appropriate name for a peasant..." She continued to speak, but you had drifted off, the name echoing in your mind as you sat in a chair at the table near the fire, your heavy head in your hands. Involuntarily, it migrated to the crook of your elbow, and, warmed by the fire, you felt comfortable enough and fell asleep.
You dreamed of an astonishingly large and beautiful cathedral, its impossible vaulted ceilings and twisting architecture beyond the scope of your own imagining. Fully cloaked among thousands of pilgrims, you were moved from wing to wing, marveling at the stained glass and satin tapestries on display in their vivid magnificence. The pilgrims walked in an anticlockwise fashion, bringing you closer to the center, to the great basilica with its titanic dome, until the colorful cloaks and masks upon the worshipers became a dancing whirlpool of pious celebration. You were carried along in its currents until you reached the center, finding nothing but a wide circular platform, onto which you were brought, dizzy and stupefied, to look out upon the gathered, fervent masses. Your mask and cloak floated away from you, leaving you naked, alone, and vulnerable, but to your amazement, the crowd silenced itself into a reverent hush before falling to its knees in abject devotion.
The Elder Sister must have realized that she could push you no further, and that you needed rest, because you awoke in roughly the same position you had fallen asleep, but it was much later in the day and the fire had turned to embers and ash. The skin of your arms still ached, scalded patches all throughout, but the natural color had returned. You wondered if that was a sign of your pneuma regaining its strength. Looking around, Yazmis wasn't around, leaving you free to explore her cabin if you so wished, or else depart and see the village. The former seemed more interesting, as you had spent most of your life in a town like this, but had never seen a witch's home before. On the other hand, picking through Yazmis's things without her permission might turn out poorly for you, and there might be people worth meeting at the inn. Another thought also bothered you: had anyone heard the terrible racket you and the welcome girls had made in the early morning before dawn?
[Choose your action:]1. Search Yazmis's home for something to heal your burns.2. Search Yazmis's home for something to enhance your pneuma.3. Search Yazmis's home for something revealing about her.4. Head to the Broken Axes Inn to meet new people.5. Explore the town carefully, listening for gossip and rumors.

[Head to the Broken Axes Inn.]
[4. Head to the Broken Axes Inn.]
You stand and stiffly stretch your back and legs. Glancing about, you're a bit disappointed by how normal everything appears. You had hoped to find something which might heal the burns on your arms, but if Yazmis did actually keep potions or even simple salves around, she didn't want anyone to notice. You remembered how the strange spirit board she had used to determine your Crypimum name had looked like a simple cutting board before - and after - the ritual, and so you supposed there was plenty more hidden about the shack than meets the eye. You sighed, knowing that you lacked the daring to search for any of it, and instead decided to depart for the inn.
Outside, the air was crisp and smelled somewhat fresher than on your side of the mountains. Maybe it was simply a dryer climate, but you also suspected that the close proximity to the mountains and the different sorts of trees had something to do with it. You felt comfortable now, despite the holes and tears in your cloak and layered tunics, as the sun was out and warm and the chilling breeze was calm. The distant sound of lumberjacks striking their tools against the evergreen pines in the distance helped to explain why there wasn't a whole lot of activity in town, although you did see the occasional peasant woman and her children doing chores about the houses or tending to the subsistence gardens. One or two cut a weary glance in your direction, but no one seemed keen to approach or even greet you with a wave. It all just seemed rather sleepy.
The inn was a more cheerful sight, however, as its doors were wide-open and inviting and there were a few old men sitting at a table within, having a lively conversation. Too feeble to work, you realize, and you gave a shy smile to the rosy-cheeked gentlemen as you passed through the door. Several of them raised their tankards as you stepped inside, greeting you in both your native language as well as dwarfish, and sure enough when you checked again you realized there was a dwarf at the table whose nose barely peered at you from over the far edge. "Oi there, young drow lady, y'must be new in town, ain't ye?" an ancient-looking man with a white beard and a lack of teeth greeted.
"Y-yes sir, I am," you replied with a clumsy curtsy.
There was a thump as the dwarf put his hands on the table and hoisted himself up so that he was standing atop his chair. Now much more visible, he grinned, squinting hard, and it occurred to you that he might be nearsighted. "Issat a young one affer all? Ho ho oh, sure is, sure is. 'Sbeen a while since I heard such a pretty voice, you know."
"...Thank you," you replied, uncomfortably.
"Ah, don'tcha let him bother ye," the bearded man said. "He jus' likes to flatter, that's all."
The dwarf flopped back into his seat, shaking the table rather violently and causing some of the beer to slosh. "Yeah, yeah, can't help meself. So, eh heh. If ya don't mind me askin, what's a lass like you doin', travelin' out to these dangerous parts? I see ya've a good blade at your side..."
"You old kook, how'd you see that before me?" the third, hither-to silent man at the table suddenly spoke. He looked thin and wily, despite his age, and you realize he was probably a dangerous man when he was younger. "Ya's got no eyes!"
"I see plenty when I feel like seein' it," the dwarf replied, grumpily. "So let's have it, then. You wrapped up in somethin'... unsavory?" he asked you.
[Choose a reply:]1. "My father left this sword to me. I carry it, but I don't know how to use it."2. "It's for protection. I'm just passing through on my way to Grayfort."3. "As a matter of fact, I'm a dangerous woman. If course, you've already got a few in this town."4. "I was, but I got out of it. Took this sword from a man who had no business keeping it."

[Answer somewhat honestly.]
[4. Answer somewhat honestly.]
You figure it wouldn't hurt to let the old men know about your unfortunate run-in with the bandits at the pass as long as you omitted certain details. "I was, but I got out of it. I took this sword from a man who had no business keeping it."
"Oh, and how'd that happen? Yer not travelin' alone are ye?" the bearded man asked.
You shook your head. "I came here with a friend overnight. We were attacked by a lone highwayman in the mountains, but we managed to get the better of him. I took his sword because I felt safer with it, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it, yet."
"...I'll bet he was hidin' out at the old stoney bridge," the thin man said. "That explains yer raggedness."
"What raggedness?" the dwarf interjected. "She's a flower-"
"She's been in a fight, that gal. Ya don't see the blood in her clothes? And... damn... now I see-" the thin man added, taking a long look at your hands before looking you in the eye in a way which made you wholly uncomfortable. "Looks like someone held her hands to the fire."
"Issat so?" the bearded man asked, looking tired. "I hear Savona makes a good remedy for burns."
"Yeah," the slim man said, flatly. "And I wouldn't be surprised if this drow was a friend of hers."
[Choose a response:]1. To the slim man: "I'm sorry... I don't know who you're talking about."2. To the bearded man: "Is Savona a friend of yours?"3. To the dwarf: "I've never been called a flower before, thank you."4. To all: "Thanks for your concern, but I'm okay. I've got thick skin and I'll heal. I came for a drink."

Last edited:
[Address the bearded man.]
[2. Address the bearded man.]
This woman they spoke of, Savona, was probably one of the witches you had already met that morning, given the slim man's tone. He seemed to know that something was amiss, and so you wanted to discreetly push the conversation away from whatever line he was thinking of pursuing. Don't be too elusive, your inner voice cautioned. Just act like you don't understand the significance if he asks any loaded questions. The bearded man seemed more concerned for your well-being without being overly flattering, and so it seemed natural to focus mainly on him.
"Is Savona a friend of yours?" you asked.
The bearded man tilted his head side to side as he mulled over the answer. "I've known 'er a few years," he answered hesitantly, "but she spends most of 'er days alone with 'er daughter. Says she's waitin' for her husband to come home, but we think the ol' bastard either fell off his horse or ran away with a younger woman. She's nice, though, ye'd like 'er."
Fell off his horse? You made a mental note to ask more about this later. "Too bad about her husband... Where can I find her?" you asked. To your mild relief, the three old men described the location of a small shack at the forest's edge that was definitely not Yazmis's cabin. You wandered if this other home belonged to the clairvoyant one called Tazaniya.
"Before ye go," the bearded man said, "we never got yer name. We might be old n' drunk, but that doesn't escuse use from bein' gentlemen. My name is Ichabod. This's Brenthard and Erwin, my good friends." Brenthard the dwarf gave a rosy smile, while Erwin gave a nod and continued to study you uneasily.
"My name is Renu," you said, plainly. "I'm just traveling with a friend. I don't know how long I'll be staying in this town."
Brenthard held his drink aloft. "Well, come by and see us again any time yer feeling lonely, sweetheart."
Then, to your surprise, Erwin motioned at your sword. "If you ever want to learn how to use that, then come see me. I can teach you a few things that might save your life someday."
You nodded in reply, but the others at the table jeered him for the offer. Apparently, Erwin had been a thief for a good portion of his life, but "couldn't fight his way outofa burlap sack" according to Ichabod. Erwin looked furious for a moment, but then laughed and took a deep drink. As you politely excused yourself from their company, you overheard them debating the accusation, at which point Brenthard reminded Erwin that they had settled the debate over his fight smarts years ago in a barroom brawl...
You stepped out into the sunshine and reminded yourself of the directions you had been given. It felt like a long walk, despite the short time it took to reach the shack, due to the wide open spaces between the homes on the dirty road where various gardens and animals were kept. Your wounds were aching and burning, and you feared an infection. Whenever someone from your village had bad wounds like these, they would always travel to the nearest city and locate a cleric. Most of the reputable temples would provide healing services for free if the victim was a peasant, but now you wandered if the clerics could recognize these burns as a sign of trouble, like Erwin seemingly did.
Finally, you reached the door and gave it a knock. It opened almost immediately as there was only one room in the tiny home, and there, standing before you, was a tall, broad-shouldered woman with bronze skin that you had never seen before. She looked down on you, perplexed. "Well?" she asked after a moment of silence.
"A-Are you Savona?" you asked.
The woman nodded. "And you are?"
"I'm a traveler from Byrewood. My name is Renu, and I'm hurt. Ichabod said you might be able to help me."
She looked you over, and, almost as if she hadn't noticed at first, she suddenly jumped with a worried shout and pulled you inside. "Yes, of course, please, come in!" she said as you stumbled through the threshold. Inside was a very crowded arrangement of furniture which reminded you a bit of your own home. There was a quiet gasp in the corner of the room, and that's when your eyes met those of a child's- Malasya stared at you silently from her seat, a terrified look on her face and a tiny bowl of soup in her lap. "That's my daughter, Rosa," Savona explained. "I'm sorry ahead of time if she asks you any strange questions."
You sat yourself on Savona's bed, the only place in the room where you could sit, really, and had a similar conversation to the one you had just had at the inn, while Savona gathered a few ingredients and began mashing it with a mortar and pestle. Rosa stared at you silently the entire time, eating her soup until the bowl was empty, and then continued to spoon the residue from the sides of the wooden bowl up to her mouth avoid having any reason to move or speak to you.
"Rosa, honey," Savona said, "you're awfully quiet right now. Is something wrong?"
She shook her head nervously.
[Choose a conversation:]1. Test Savona to see if she's aware of her daughter's witchcraft.2. Ask Savona about her missing husband.3. Ask about the men at the inn, and why Erwin seems to dislike you.

3. Always nice to acquire a bit more knowledge about the locals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back