Other Tell us about your pet peeves!

I wish I was cool enough to RP him! Alas I am not, but I do love the character!

My friend, if Roleplaying a character required being cool enough, then 75.689% of Earth's Otaku Population wouldn't be into RPs to begin with.

The remaining percentage would just be otaku who act cool enough.

No, Roleplaying is all about Desire!!!

The desire to be your favorite character! The Desire to have your Mary/Marty Stu to be apart of Cannon! And Yes, the desire to act cool enough that you feel everyone notices you!!

So, yeah...Go for it!

My friend, if Roleplaying a character required being cool enough, then 75.689% of Earth's Otaku Population wouldn't be into RPs to begin with.

The desire to be your favorite character! The Desire to have your Mary/Marty Stu to be apart of Cannon! And Yes, the desire to act cool enough that you feel everyone notices you!!

So, yeah...Go for it!

Me: *Gives Advice that is true, but still doesn't know what i'm talking about.*

So, yeah...Go for it!
I never RP or write as canon characters, I love the originals to much to mess with them! Specially Vash the Stamped! he's great!

I have recently begun beta reading and people will only want me to comment on grammar and I will see plot holes and continuity errors, and just bad prose in general and plot construction issues and it physically pains me to not be able to say anything about that because I only agreed to grammar checks.

Haha! I experienced this too but in reverse. A guy asked me for advice regarding characters and storyline but his story was so badly formatted (like, walls and walls of text and almost no punctuation) that I had no choice but to send it back and tell him to fix his formatting and grammar first.

Ooooh, I may have a pet peeve on the topic of beta reading someone else or giving a critique of their work.

Please for the love of god never write a story for the sake of reviews or guilt someone for reviews by disguising it as just "you want feedback". I left a critique on one guy's story as a review because he asked me to and we started talking about that said critique through PM. And then he starts just...complaining about how he's not getting reviews even though he was "improving" (he wasn't), and would I be so kind as to leave a new one because his new chapter is out and it has lots of character interaction and I like character interaction, right? So I should like the chapter and comment as such.

...I like character interaction with characters I like. I don't like this story's characters. 😓

Oh yeah, and people who won't take any form of criticism. Had a friend once who showed me her fanfiction (which she specifically asked my help on because for whatever she wanted to dethrone the top fanfiction on that site for a different ship...eh, shipping wars were weird.) and asked for my feedback. I pointed out the first grammar error and she snatches up her notebook and screams "This is why I never show my stuff to you!"

Like...damn, Karen, how the hell am I going to help you if you freak out at the first error?

Haha! I experienced this too but in reverse. A guy asked me for advice regarding characters and storyline but his story was so badly formatted (like, walls and walls of text and almost no punctuation) that I had no choice but to send it back and tell him to fix his formatting and grammar first.

Happens a LOT.

If you can't read the thing how are you supposed to know whether the ideas are sound? You did the right thing.

It gives me indescribable frustration when I see people who don't clean after themselves, especially in public.
It's like 5 seconds and makes other people's lives easier. Come on, guys...don't be pigs.

when i first got my dog we realized he chews really loudly
so we called him peeve
he's really fucking annoying

I honest to god don't know how my mom has a social life with her constant antics. They say your relationship with your parents gets better over time, but if anything, she's getting progressively harder to deal with.

I've been busting my ass all week over an important project, one which would probably take me less than half that time if it weren't for my disability. I've accumulated so much stress from it that my eyes have a permanent twitch. And she won't. Stop. Talking. About it. She offers help, asks questions, and suggests I stop procrastinating and get it over with.

I keep telling her the best thing she can do for now is to just stay out of it. Don't pass Go, don't collect $200, leave me to work at my own pace. I'm doing the best I can for someone in my situation. I waste so much time letting her interrogate me so that she can provide a single nugget of completely useless advice. I've already tried it, it's a short-term solution for a long-term problem or vice versa, I know how it'll turn out because I can extrapolate from past experiences, it's too risky and could set me back days if it doesn't work out, the list goes on and on. But she has a fit over me using my time for anything else, no matter how often I explain that breaks are what's keeping me from going absolutely ape shit. If I finish something at the last minute, it's not because I procrastinated, it's because THAT'S HOW LONG THE DAMN THING TOOK TO DO.

One of my younger brothers drinks underage and the other sneaks friends into the house, yet I, the goddamn adult, am the one getting helicoptered because I'm an r-word who takes longer to do things sometimes.

I honest to god don't know how my mom has a social life with her constant antics. They say your relationship with your parents gets better over time, but if anything, she's getting progressively harder to deal with.

I've been busting my ass all week over an important project, one which would probably take me less than half that time if it weren't for my disability. I've accumulated so much stress from it that my eyes have a permanent twitch. And she won't. Stop. Talking. About it. She offers help, asks questions, and suggests I stop procrastinating and get it over with.

I keep telling her the best thing she can do for now is to just stay out of it. Don't pass Go, don't collect $200, leave me to work at my own pace. I'm doing the best I can for someone in my situation. I waste so much time letting her interrogate me so that she can provide a single nugget of completely useless advice. I've already tried it, it's a short-term solution for a long-term problem or vice versa, I know how it'll turn out because I can extrapolate from past experiences, it's too risky and could set me back days if it doesn't work out, the list goes on and on. But she has a fit over me using my time for anything else, no matter how often I explain that breaks are what's keeping me from going absolutely ape shit. If I finish something at the last minute, it's not because I procrastinated, it's because THAT'S HOW LONG THE DAMN THING TOOK TO DO.

One of my younger brothers drinks underage and the other sneaks friends into the house, yet I, the goddamn adult, am the one getting helicoptered because I'm an r-word who takes longer to do things sometimes.
Oh wow. She's got some unbreakable godtier, super duper terminator, holy scale, Ubermensch can do no wrong type priorities there doesn't she? I mean no offense again, but she seems entirely goddamned incompetent with life itself, and appears to be more destabilizing than actually a supportive element.

Inb4 fails a test because she doesn't understand the concept of temporarily not speaking. Though it sounds like they are the type that would if mute, become a type of distraction that whole 5 hour business meetings discuss in length. From the sounds of the siblings on a contextual basis, she's also a horrid role model or influence piece for allowing the drinking bit.

I am assuming if you actually tried doing something that would help the family, like prevention of the potential of alcohol abuse, some punk bitch would scream at you like you're Hitler. Combined with the inability to comprehend the present and future, being a work tyrant, as well as the issue, one has to admit it's very ironic that she complains about a focus problem when it seems in context that she is the problem. Like a endless buzzing drone with the mind of a more sophisticated toddler wanting additional attention. Absolutely brilliant. Scientists decades from now will have fun trying to figure that one out.

Also in comparison at least, you appear to be a genius to at least most of them. It's this type of stuff that drives people from things they like. Such as a self absorbed art teacher rejecting detailed street graffiti, or you making up your own style and they hate it because you're not following their strict rules, or thinks regardless of what it is and style you do like for graffiti, it apparently isn't art.

>Stares at a wall that looks like a high quality renaissance portrait in front of a matte painting, that took years to complete and 100 different spray cans and brushes. Your mother sounds like that kind of societal reject. And I apologize that another human being has to be subjected to this douchedom. There's a fine thickened line, between character building suffering, and cruel unusual punishment.

Oh wow. She's got some unbreakable godtier, super duper terminator, holy scale, Ubermensch can do no wrong type priorities there doesn't she? I mean no offense again, but she seems entirely goddamned incompetent with life itself, and appears to be more destabilizing than actually a supportive element.

Inb4 fails a test because she doesn't understand the concept of temporarily not speaking. Though it sounds like they are the type that would if mute, become a type of distraction that whole 5 hour business meetings discuss in length. From the sounds of the siblings on a contextual basis, she's also a horrid role model or influence piece for allowing the drinking bit.

I am assuming if you actually tried doing something that would help the family, like prevention of the potential of alcohol abuse, some punk bitch would scream at you like you're Hitler. Combined with the inability to comprehend the present and future, being a work tyrant, as well as the issue, one has to admit it's very ironic that she complains about a focus problem when it seems in context that she is the problem. Like a endless buzzing drone with the mind of a more sophisticated toddler wanting additional attention. Absolutely brilliant. Scientists decades from now will have fun trying to figure that one out.

Also in comparison at least, you appear to be a genius to at least most of them. It's this type of stuff that drives people from things they like. Such as a self absorbed art teacher rejecting detailed street graffiti, or you making up your own style and they hate it because you're not following their strict rules, or thinks regardless of what it is and style you do like for graffiti, it apparently isn't art.

>Stares at a wall that looks like a high quality renaissance portrait in front of a matte painting, that took years to complete and 100 different spray cans and brushes. Your mother sounds like that kind of societal reject. And I apologize that another human being has to be subjected to this douchedom. There's a fine thickened line, between character building suffering, and cruel unusual punishment.
That's a bit of an overstatement. She takes disciplinary action against my brothers when they do things like that, like grounding and stuff, but they just get sneakier about it. I never had a rebellious phase, so I didn't get in trouble much, but when she thought I was slacking off in school, she'd take away my sources of entertainment, which would make me get antsy and make the problem worse.

So I wouldn't go so far as to say that she's the scum of the earth. It's just that she's an "autism mom" type who doesn't understand how my disability works, and assumes that I don't know myself any better than she does.

People just don't know the difference between copy editors and beta readers these days. Beta readers are supposed to look for those plotholes and character continuity errors. I see so many novice writers get the two mixed up, when copy editing is a whole separate TEDIOUS beast.
Right?! I prefer beta reading to any copy editing because English grammar can get... Complicated. But I LOVE helping people fully develop their plots and make something great

When people sneeze or cough and don't cover it. Even worse if they use their BARE fuckin HANDS to cover it.

Use your elbow pit! YOUR ELBOW PIT, ya nasty fucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back