Other Tell us about your pet peeves!

Ayama

Enthusiast
Everyone's got things that just drive them up the wall- tell us about yours!
Laugh, cry, commiserate and rage together. Sometimes, it's just good to get it out! ;P

I think possibly the one that drives me craziest is people being in the way.
If you're walking, or standing, it is my personal opinion that you should never do so in a manner or location which is going to get in other people's way! ><
I feel like so many people do this all the time, with no regard for others, and it drives me absolutely crazy xD

Everyone's got things that just drive them up the wall- tell us about yours!
Laugh, cry, commiserate and rage together. Sometimes, it's just good to get it out! ;P

If you're walking, or standing, it is my personal opinion that you should never do so in a manner or location which is going to get in other people's way! ><
I feel like so many people do this all the time, with no regard for others, and it drives me absolutely crazy xD
Omg, there's always some mouth-breather staring off into space in the crowded isles in the grocery store. I hate that shit, move your ass over 2mm so others can squeeze by your McDonald's encrusted, Coke drinking, reality TV watching fat-ass that's blocking 97% of the damn isle, seriously. Just move, CHRIST! IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

Big one for me is people who go into work while sick. Obviously if it's not something contagious then whatever, but if you're sneezing, coughing, or wiping your snotty nose on the back of your hand before shaking someone else's hand... we're gonna have a problem. I just haaaaaate how self-centered it is. Infecting your entire place of work does NOT make you a martyr, it makes you an idiot. Obvious exception would be having a boss who forces you to come in when sick, in that case it's on the moron in charge who apparently would rather have a substantial chunk of their workforce sick and unproductive than let ONE person stay home to recover.

This goes triple for parents who send their kids to school while sick. So unbelievably entitled it makes me want to shake them. Nobody can learn well when their brain is full of cobwebs and their lungs are full of phlegm. Only reason to send kids to school when sick is:
1) School is actually just Daycare 2.0 and hiring a sitter, staying home to take care of them, or just letting them rest at home is too inconvenient
2) They're short sighted and/or have no common sense
3) They're intentionally trying to make other children sick because they're monsters.

There's a reason why everyone dreads certain seasons (hello late November/early December) because that's the time of year when parents send their contagious little darlings to school for no logical reason and proceed to spread the germs.

Oh boy, I could go on for hours, it makes me so steamed.

* Obviously this rant is applicable primarily to the contagious stages of illness.

ok but when I have to repeat myself more than thrice istg that shit pisses me off sm like are you fckn deaf

obvsly I understand some people are hard of hearing so I don’t really make a big deal about it but internally i just s e e t h e

the absolute worst thing in my book is when someone just so happens to "forget" something that i told them. an example of this would be when i ask my grandma to do something, she says yes, i remind her of the thing, she says yes, and then when the thing comes along she acts like she doesn't know where i'm going and wants to know what i'm doing despite telling her multiple times i was doing something.

Big one for me is people who go into work while sick. Obviously if it's not something contagious then whatever, but if you're sneezing, coughing, or wiping your snotty nose on the back of your hand before shaking someone else's hand... we're gonna have a problem. I just haaaaaate how self-centered it is. Infecting your entire place of work does NOT make you a martyr, it makes you an idiot. Obvious exception would be having a boss who forces you to come in when sick, in that case it's on the moron in charge who apparently would rather have a substantial chunk of their workforce sick and unproductive than let ONE person stay home to recover.

This goes triple for parents who send their kids to school while sick. So unbelievably entitled it makes me want to shake them. Nobody can learn well when their brain is full of cobwebs and their lungs are full of phlegm. Only reason to send kids to school when sick is:
1) School is actually just Daycare 2.0 and hiring a sitter, staying home to take care of them, or just letting them rest at home is too inconvenient
3) They're intentionally trying to make other children sick because they're monsters.

There's a reason why everyone dreads certain seasons (hello late November/early December) because that's the time of year when parents send their contagious little darlings to school for no logical reason and proceed to spread the germs.

Oh boy, I could go on for hours, it makes me so steamed.

* Obviously this rant is applicable primarily to the contagious stages of illness.
- Makes me especially upset because of past experiences.
When I was in the hospital for a good chunk of last year, suffice to say I basically had no immune system most of the time, and the rest of the time, I was majorly immunocompromised. In basic terms, if I caught any sort of illness, the only symptom I would have is a fever and then death, lol. I had to have a very close eye kept on me when my immune system was completely shot.

And then I was about to go to Christmas dinner with my extended family. We'd planned for a few weeks in advance. Cue 1 day before we're about to leave, and it's just casually mentioned in an unrelated conversation that my moron aunt is going to be bringing her MRSA-infected kids to the party.

I'm not suicidal, so I didn't go.

Can't even count how many times I've wanted to kick those people who would walk in a 1x5 line down the already cramped hallway of my old hs. LIke geez people, it's nice that you want to chat with your friends and all, but don't cause unnecessary traffic!

Anyway, my number one pet peeve is those people who chew obnoxiously loud with their mouth open. I'm already bad at tolerating chewing noises in general, so having to listen to the person sitting in the train behind me chewing away at their breakfast sandwich loudly always tempts me to raise my music volume super high ; - ;

My pet peeve is when people are simply, unnecessarily, unkind. Like, when you have the chance to simply smile or say something nice or show appreciation for another person and brighten their day and you don’t? Like, really, if it won’t cost you anything or harm you in any way, why would you not just be kind? Why make negative comments out of the blue? Why give people dirty looks, or dismiss them when they’re proud of something? Why go out of your way to make somebody else miserable? Especially if those people you’re being unkind towards are your children.

I've been in food service on and off and one of my things is when the customer is just outright rude to the lowest sense. Even more when parents just LET their kids make a mess or run around the place like its a playground. What would happen if a kid runs into a person with a ton of glasses? That kid and buser is going to get hurt but the buser gets the blame (it happened to me).

My pet peeve is when you're driving and waiting for someone to cross the street but they walk about as slow as a turtle. Certain exceptions apply of course, but if you're physically able and you know a car's waiting to pass, at least put a little pep in your step instead of staring down at your phone the entire time!

I hate when I'm walking and cars slow down to let me cross, especially with no crosswalk.
It throws off my entire rhythm and makes it annoying and inefficient for everyone -.-

Yeah, I'm fairly sure in the United States at least that cars are required to let pedestrians cross.

Speaking of traffic pet peeves, though, people who stop their car a full car length away from the white line. What's up with that? Beyond being just weird (and risking missing the motion sensor for some traffic intersections), it costs the line a car space and creates a potential hardship on others trying to be in that lane when there's a lot of traffic.

Heya Pips!

Perhaps so, but I once knew a Paramedic who did just that all of the time (when off-duty). His reasoning? On-duty, he had come across one too many crashes with (bad) injuries because of drivers "T-boning" each other in the intersections and getting rear-ended in intersections (thus the car at the stop-light/stop sign being knocked out into the oncoming traffic of the intersection). So perhaps doing so makes some drivers feel a little safer?

The way I see it... your mileage may vary (see what I did there?). =)

I am totally with you on this with one exception:
4. The parent(s) honestly cannot afford day care, have no one else to watch the kiddo, and thus genuinely have no other alternative. These are the folks who must feel really low having to do it, but for all I know, they can't even afford the medicine to help the kiddo feel better (there are still waaay too many single parents in the world for my liking).

Purr Purr
I can empathize with those people, but what I can't empathize with is when they don't at BARE MINIMUM make the time to explain the situation to the school/teachers/administration. My mom has worked as a school secretary (both high school and elementary) for a LONG time. Most of them have programs in place to help single/lower income parents or (if nothing else) have access to resources that may help them.

Besides, notifying the school should just be a matter of course. If there's no other option, then there's no other option... but warning administration ahead of time so the child can perhaps be kept separate from classmates (or, if nothing else, the teacher can keep an eye on them in case they get worse/to minimize infectious behaviour) is doable no matter WHAT the personal situation.

edit; That said... my beef is primarily with people who have plenty of options for keeping their children home but don't. Have some in my own extended family that would make their kids go with a fever because "it's not bad enough to make them miss school." And, as someone who tended to catch EVERYTHING these people spread around, it was incredibly distressing so I can be a bit touchy with it xD

I guess it's my turn. =)

1. (I can't say I get angry about this.) I get kind of sad and confused when I see human beings just being wrong to each other. I don't get it. I don't think I want to. There are times I'm not in a mood to be nice to other people but like them or not like them, I feel I must respect them. And so I try my best to. That's just one way I use to get myself out of the darkness of a bad mood and back to the harmony I want to live in daily.

2. "I can't do anything with silence." During conversations (including those involving gaming), I really don't like it when someone I care about seems to casually brush something aside that I really want an answer to. You know this is important to me. So it makes me wonder - do you care my feelings or don't you? And if you do like you say you do, why won't you tell me what you're feeling instead of "brushing it under the rug" or staying quiet in (apparently) the hopes that the problem will go away? Not to insult you, but isn't that cowardice? And if it isn't, then tell me what it is. I value your feelings thoughts. So talk to me, please. (Disclaimer: Thankfully and blissfully, I am married to a wonderful Kaerri who, knowing how I feel about it, never pulls that with me - Hugs & Kisses to my lady Kaerri Kaerri ! =) )

3. I live with a neurodevelopmental brain disorder that has no cure. I was born with it; I will die with it. So I do get kind of steamed when neurotypical people wonder if I or people like me are "just faking it for the attention" or "just aren't trying hard enough." Excuse me? I can't turn this off or I would. There is a special magical power I have never introduced into my many, many RP games that sometimes I wish I had in Real Life. It goes like this. "*Pow.* Now you have what I was born with. Now you see the world the way I and people like me see it. Mind you, just long enough for you to understand. I don't want you to suffer, but relate. Then I take it back again, see? Because at least for you, there is a cure. Isn't that great? Perhaps after that, we can come to an understanding? And with that understanding, perhaps we can be friends?" =)

When my mom purposely puts her nasty sweaty feet on me when we're watching tv on the couch. She thinks I'm kidding or something when I say I HATE feet.

Heya Pips!

Perhaps so, but I once knew a Paramedic who did just that all of the time (when off-duty). His reasoning? On-duty, he had come across one too many crashes with (bad) injuries because of drivers "T-boning" each other in the intersections and getting rear-ended in intersections (thus the car at the stop-light/stop sign being knocked out into the oncoming traffic of the intersection). So perhaps doing so makes some drivers feel a little safer?

The way I see it... your mileage may vary (see what I did there?). =)

I'd literally been unable to envision a scenario that could be responsible for this behavior until now.

Huh. Making sure if you get rear-ended, you can't be launched into cross traffic. That would work, wouldn't it. Thank you! Now I can at least ascribe an explicable motivation to what's otherwise inexplicable behavior to me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back