Character Theory Teach me roleplay senpai

Go to the RP section, pick a category. Find a game you think looks interesting. And read.

Hello! Here’s a thread I posted a while ago!

Besides improving your writing style, the next best thing you could do is to read books and maybe browse through on-site roleplays for inspiration!

Hello Skye,

I am Senpai and I have noticed you.

RPing is very easy once you step in, so the first step to all of this should be going ahead and getting your feet wet. Make mistakes! Get messy!

What's your favorite genre to read or write? Find that section and then have a looksy through all of the great RPs that are available!

RPing is supposed to be for people of all writing levels from all around the world. So the next step is finding where you will fit in the most comfortably. Don't feel pressured to write more advanced and detailed because it is what some "elites" are doing. One-liners can be just as valid as 5000 word posts. Find what you like best and find a group or partner who will mesh with your style.

Step 3 is to have a good relationship with your partner. Speak to your partner, and be sure your partner is listening to you. Have your partner speak to you and be sure you are listening back. There. Now you are properly communicating, and communication is the backbone of any good RP.

Know that there will be gains and losses throughout the entire RP process. You'll be ghosted by some decent partners, drop some less than decent partners, and so on. But every once and awhile, you come across the perfect person that you should hold on to and never let go, because a partner like that doesn't come around every dynasty. I have a few that I am still in close contact with even while we are not RPing because making friends through this site is great too ^_^

More than anything, have a lot of fun and don't be afraid to make mistakes or ask questions. My buddy Idea Idea (who also happens to be one of those perfect RP partners that should not be let go of ;)) has a few threads up that might help you along with things like making an interest check and such.

Have fun, the dude abides.

Well, since I was mentioned, I guess I should at least show my face and try to offer some tips.

First things first, like the others here I also have a link for you : Beginner's Guide to RPN

I already have a few tips for those just starting out at the bottom, in a more summarized form. You'll find more tips there, and I would just like to expand a little on one of them that I think that has yet to be properly mentioned here: responsability.

While it comes with experience, one thing you should always try to keep in mind is managing what you can realisticaly do. This doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment or try bolder things, but that you should try to have as much of an awareness of your own limits as you can (and even then you'll probably overestimate your own skill). How many roleplays can you take, what kind of time and schedule should you take? Is it a good idea to take a roleplay that requires daily replies if you're not sure if you'll be in town during the weekends, or starting a new roleplay if you know you're about to go into test period?

This doesn't just apply to your time either. Another thing where it applies is in what topics of roleplays you join or make. If I just watched an anime I really loved, I may feel compelled to roleplay something like it, or even that anime itself. However, you will probably find your interest getting drained quickly, because while it may seem like you just loved the thing too much to not make a roleplay about it, eventually the hype dies out. Knowing to avoid getting caught up in the hype and starting a roleplay you can't stay interested in once the hype has died down is part of being responsible as a roleplayer.

Taking it even further, what kind of character can you play? Let's say you want to make an antisocial badass. Well, can you? Are you good enough at continually finding realistic excuses for your character to insert themselves into everything? Or are you good enough to make a bunch of solo posts without losing interest? If your character is extremely smart, are you smart enough to give them ideas that justify your character being all that smart, or will your supposed genius end up looking like a clown all the time because you can't roleplay them properly without metagaming?
This isn't to say you can't be experimental with characters, but an awareness at least of what you can and can't do, of where you can give yourself a little more leeway and where you should pull the leash a little more to compensate is very important especially if you're a beginner.

Lastly, regarding finding your writing style, I have a few thoughts I generally share on the matter, and they can essentially be found here: Players - Simple, Casual and Detailed Mindsets - An explanation

I wish you the best luck and hope this was a useful read. Happy RPing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back