• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales of Raeligard

Falco grinned from ear to ear as Cephilia stood and gathered her things, just as Risax entered. So, they were going to get on with this now? Excellent. The Clockwork Witch could be difficult to get through to, even at the best of times, and he was beginning to lose faith that anything he said or did had any effect on her. Actually, that was half the fun of it: throwing nonsense at her to see what sticks. After agreeing to help out Talio yesterday and now this today, he couldn't help but feel she was becoming less standoffish than before.

"Rena, if Cressey comes by, please direct her to the meeting room. The rest of you, follow me," Cephilia said as she lifted a rather large case from beneath the table. It was trimmed in red cloth, framed in a pale, brass-like metal, and secured with a combination lock. She slung her satchel of documents over her shoulder before lifting the case, which appeared to be quite heavy.

"Need a hand?" Falco offered as she led them toward the stairs. "Tough not havin’ Maurice around," he added, referring to her butler.

"You almost had me, until that last part," she replied, glaring at him from the corner of her eye. "As if I would let an old man carry my things. Mister Maurice is a family friend and my personal assistant, not hired muscle. Or have you forgotten I am an adventurer, too?”

Actually, yeah, I kind of did, Falco thought, but refrained from saying those words aloud. Her response had given him an idea, but they had now arrived at the meeting room, putting an end to the banter.

It wasn’t unlike the room where they had been briefed by Arien a few days ago, before heading out to Oyten. A medium-sized room on the guildhall’s second floor, with a small table and chalkboard at the front and seats arranged throughout. It felt an awful lot like a classroom, Falco thought. Cephilia set her case on the table and begin fiddling with the lock, cementing the thought that class was about to be in session.

"As I said, we are gathered here to formally acknowledge your ascension from F to E rank. Others may liek ot make a big deal out of this, but I prefer to keep things brief. You can celebrate on your own time," she said as her fingers rapped the solid metallic surface of the case. She briefly looked to the door as Cressey arrived. Cephilia gave a nod of ackowledgement to the girl before continuing: "Normally, Bermille and Hyazari would deliver personalized remarks, since you are here on their recommendation. However, the latter is a man of few words, as some of you may know, and the former... well, she said, and I quote: 'they already know what I effing think of 'em.' Endquote."

"'Effing?'" Falco said with a smirk. "Sen said that?"

"We all know what she said, Falion." Cephilia said with a roll of her eyes. She lightly cleared her throat and placed her right fist over her heart before continuing in a sobering tone: "Anyway... based on their oral accounts and the reports which have been submitted, I, Cephilia Valdergeuse, S-Ranked adventurer, and acting guildmaster of Kriegslowe's Tylsen branch, hereby approve the promotion of these adventurers, should they choose to accept it."

Acting guildmaster? Falco thought. Was that an official title or just something she calls herself when Kaira is away? It definitely seemed official, if she had the power to approve promotions? Could it be revoked when Kaira returned? He didn't care about any of that. He just wanted the better quests and pay.

While all of this circled around his head, Cephilia opened her case, which contained a wide array of tools for performing delicate work. its internal panels unfurled, revealing dozens of tiny, brightly colored gems --zauberites-- each nestled in their own pocket, lined with soft velvet, to prevent them from rattling around.

"One of the perks of promotion is the unlocking of a new slot and requisition of a second zauberite to fill it. I will perform this procedure for you... free of charge. These are my creations, after all. You need only tell me which gem you prefer," she said, gesturing to her collection. "An arcanizer is a powerful tool. We, as Kriegslowen, serve as stewards of this power, while also defending the realm from those who would abuse or misuse it. I do not know if any amongst you possess an interest in the arcane arts, but my door is always open, if you wish to learn more. Or, if you prefer the physical path, I have already made arrangements with Arien, Sen, and Vivienne to make themselves available to you. Now, please step forward and present your arcanizer, as you are called..."

She went down the line, naming each adventurer, while also giving a brief explanation of why they were deemed worthy of promotion... and where they should improve if they wished to be promoted again.

"Risax Baromanath, your timidity will be your undoing," she said, as she accepted the arachne's arcanizer. She went on to say they had discussed his promotion at length and very nearly chose otherwise. However, he did fell one of the beasts and erected a magical barrier in the heat of battle, which showed he had some skill when pressed. He kept a cool head during the heated exchange with the loggers and his resourcefulness with his webbing proved he could think outside of the box. His choice to remain behind when the others ventured on weighed heavily against him, but the sum total of his actions was just enough to convince them he was ready. "Sadly, I do not think you are convinced you are ready. I’ll be watching you closely," she said in conclusion as she returned his upgraded arcanizer to him, before moving on to the next.

"Falion Cauphix... the fool," she said as she accepted Falco's arcanizer. She explained that, in their discussion of his performance, his teamwork and attempts at boosting morale were seen as strengths. As a street rat, he was used to being surrounded by his fellow 'urchins,' and going with the flow, but what worked there won't always work here. “Never before have I seen a young man so afraid of being taken seriously,” she concluded. “Your nonsense and foolishness might gain you friends, but will those same friends trust a buffoon when their lives are on the line? The stakes will only get higher, Falion. Reflect on that.”

“Cressey… hmm, where shall I begin,” Cephilia pondered as she accepted the small girl’s arcanizer. She commented on the girl’s reckless choice to attack an enemy’s arcanizer, but felt Cressey’s teamwork, cooperation, and leadership displayed toward her ‘juniors’ prior to that incident worked in her favor. “Desperation is a powerful thing. It sharpens some, dulls others. This work can be unpredictable. You may often find yourself in over your head… and there isn’t always a clean way out. But you cannot succumb to fear. Better to die to an enemy’s blade than to fear itself.” With a small sigh, she concluded, “I prefer to believe you merely missed. You intended to knock away the device, not destroy it and incinerate everyone in one fell swoop. Please, do not deprive me of this fantasy,” she said as she returned Cressey’s arcanizer and moved on to the next.

“Lucia Edelgarde, the brawler… in more ways than one,” Cephilia said with a slight smirk as she received the Caskarieth’s arcanizer. She went on to say that she initially thought she and Edelgarde had a lot in common, but was quickly seeing how wrong that assumption was. Highborns don’t tend to fare well when starting out in the guild. The menial tasks of F-Rank exist for a reason. “But where my noble blood runs cold, yours runs hot. A sharp tongue, just like a sharp sword, should be drawn only when needed and wielded with the utmost precision. There is a time to raise your voice… and a time to lower your head,” Cephilia explained. “Also, while we don’t condone in-fighting, I suppose there is nothing wrong with a mutual exchange amongst friends… at least that’s what I hope that was,” she said, glancing at her sparring partner, Thea, as she completed and returned Lucia’s arcanizer.

“Which brings me to you two, Hysydice Maliss and Thea Schuerer,” she said, requesting they both hand over their arcanizers for the upgrade. “It was not easy to see, at first, but you have much more in common than either would ever admit,” she said, before going on to speak of their commitment to the mission and how it made them too rigid, at times. They could both learn to have more faith in their allies. This meant faith in their flaws, as well as their strengths. “‘Duty’ is a powerful word… it also doesn’t mean a damned thing,” she concluded. “Commitment to a cause, such as ‘honor’ or ‘the mission,’ does not make you more right, and a strict adherence to such things can lose allies at a time when you need them most. There is no such thing as a perfect plan. Victory is seized, not earned,” she said as she returned their arcanizers.

“With every step on your journey, you will grow more powerful. More options will open up to you. However, my greatest fear is that you begin to think more power means you can --or should-- do things alone,” she said. “Remember: your allies grow more powerful as well. Trust in them. Use them, and be used by them. That was one of the hardest lessons for me to learn, but I doubt either of you is as stubborn as I was. That is all.”

She gestured for Sakura to step forward. “And lastly, my favorite new recruit…” Cephilia said, her lips creasing as she gazed upon the fox before, at last, accepting her arcanizer. After what Sakura had done in the sewers, Cephilia confessed that simply not having another ‘incident’ was a blessing in its own right. With the exception of a few spurts of bestial behavior, Sakura mostly seemed like a ‘normal’ adventurer now. However, a certain obsessive-possessive flower shop owner wouldn’t shut up about her and that is what convinced them she was ready to move on. “Relations with the locals are important,” Cephilia explained. “If you think the things you do around town don’t matter, think again. People either love you, loathe you, or forget you, based entirely on what you do for --or to-- them. Being forgettable will slow your progress. Being loved will accelerate it. And being loathed… well, you have already met a certain C-Rank who probably won’t move any higher until she cleans up her act.” As she returned Sakura’s upgraded arcanizer, she added a few words: “I won’t ask you to change who you are. All we ask is that you add to who you are. The Sakura in the city cannot be the same as the Sakura in the wild. Continue to show you are capable of that and I may lift your special restrictions sooner rather than later.”

Interaction(s): RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) / Topless Topless (Sakura) / Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax) / King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey)

Last edited:
lolispearmen.jpg
Current Location: Guild Hall

A fine dinner, a hot, communal bath, good conversation between friends.
For a night, Cressey escaped her troubles, enjoying the company of her companions, sharing gossip, laughter, and tales of derring-do.
But like the taste of fine wine, the joy she felt was fleeting, turning sour in her mouth as she returned to her modest room within the guild barracks, and looked down at the small stack of parchment held at her desk.
Numerous balls of paper, crumpled up and callously tossed aside in fits of her own emotional turbulence were scattered nearby, with countless black markings and hastily-made scribbles bleeding through in quixotic, formless patterns.
And sitting atop the stack, seeming to stare coldly in her direction as she entered the room, was a singular, intact sheet, with only a single legible word printed upon it's surface: Dear...
Taking the incomplete page in hand as she sat down, a guilty sigh escaped her lips, looking over the vast, seemingly infinite emptiness provoked by the paper's blank canvas.
"Why must it be so difficult?" she mused to herself, cupping her head in her hand, as she stared hopelessly into that sea of white.
All this time, and yet she still couldn't find the right words.
What even was there for her to write about?

"Dear Beatrix,
I am in good health.
I have been employed by our country's greatest enemy, and in the span of a few short days, I've been bested and nearly slain twice by lowly bandits.
Please give my regards to father and grandfather -Cresslinde."

The thought almost made her laugh, if only it weren't so pathetic.

In any case, she had to set the letter aside for now, and focus on her report.
She wrote the easy things first; all the boring details she could recall of sifting through boxes and moldy warehouses, fending off holzeckt spawn and having an impromptu exploration of their burrow.
Her hand hesitated once she came to describe her encounter with the twin bandits, the bitter taste welling up in her throat once more, before opting on detailing the encounter as briefly and plainly as she could:
They attacked. They had arcanizers. They escaped. The end.
And then concluded with their findings at the final warehouse, and the enigmatic, "Red-eyed Demon Lieutenant with a large pair of breasts." as Lori described her.

The conclusion of her report gave the perfect excuse for Cressey to not work on her own personal writing, squirreling away the filled out sheet to the corner of the desk, before rising up from her seat, dawning her sleepwear, and plopping down ungracefully onto her bed.
The day's exhaustion quickly caught up with her, and she soon fell into a deep, dreamless slumber.
---
The rising of the morning sun, the twittering of birds, the light thunk of something being embedded within her chamber's door.
None of it roused the young girl laying sprawled out across her bed, still dead to the world from all that had happened the day prior.
It was only a stray twitch of a muscle in her leg that she began to rouse, a faint signal from her body faintly becoming aware that it had deviated from it's usual morning routine.
A few seconds more, she lied there, stuck half-awake, half-asleep in a shifting torpor of sleep paralysis, until realization of the sun shining outside her window, and the formation of the two hands on her new, homemade clock perched at her bedside, made her mind finally aware of the time, and sent her body scrambling to the floor in a mad panic to prepare herself for the day.

Stretching out the kinks in her sore muscles, donning her armor and washing her face in the water basin, she hurried out the door, nearly passing right by the fluttering sheet of parchment nailed to her door with an arrow capped with a familiar set of blue feathers.
She gave the notice a brief read, her brow furrowed with mixed emotions.
She should be happy; this was the progress she was hoping for. An acknowledgement of her skills.
But her mind drifted back to the empty letter on her desk, how she felt there was so little that she had accomplished.
Did she really deserve this?
She shook those troubling thoughts out of her head.
It was those damned worries that had made her make a fool of herself before her juniors, better she do away with them, and press on for now.
She'd have plenty of things to write home about before long.

Pocketing the note, she ventured out into the guild hall, seeing a face that she had come to grow familiar with.
Oddly, she was the only one present within the room, but given her skittish nature, it would be the only circumstance Cressey could ever hope to see her in this room.
"Ah...a good morning to you, Miss Rena," Cressey greeted the young archivist, her words uncharacteristically stilted, unnatural to the ear.
It was a faint feeling Cressey couldn't help, looking at the beastkin.
Her face, her ears, her tail; all reminders of the dear, faithful friend she'd abandoned.
She didn't want to shun the poor girl, or make her feel unwanted, but whenever Cressey saw her tail wriggling in the corner of her eye, her head would snap towards her, expecting to see those familiar amber jewels always gleaming with immutable excitement, hear that high-pitched trill of laughter.
Instead, all she saw was Rena. Plain, boring, old Rena.
And a feeling of emptiness would fill her heart.

Luckily the girl was equally as awkward with making conversation, though, in her case, she's simply just like that with everyone.
And so she meekly returned the greeting, and mustered all of her willpower to direct Cressey towards where the meeting was to take place.
Cressey, as anxious as her to escape the situation, and get on with her day, spared not another word but to give the beastkin a quick nod of thankful understanding, and hurried along, disappearing down the long, winding hall.
---
"Pardon my tardiness!" Cressey exclaimed, bursting through the door.
Before her, sat rows upon rows of chairs, filled with her familiar comrades, and one Miss Cephilia standing at the front, looking about as unapproachable as always, though she spared Cressey but a brief nod of acknowledgement as she entered and claimed a seat for herself, evidently excusing the young adventurer's lack of punctuality.
With her head cupped in her hand, she half-listened to the Caskaerith's words, her mind more drawn to the massive chest beside her, which, with a grand flourish, Cephilia proudly unfurled to reveal a large assortment of tools and trinkets, along with a collection of carefully contained gems, sitting at the chest's center.
"Shame they aren't all kept so securely..." Cressey muttered bitterly, her eyes narrowed in suspicion as she continued to ponder how every single wastrel lurking in the shadows seemed capable of getting their hands on such powerful, little things.
And, as Cressey awaited for her name to be called by the acting guildmaster, she pondered which best she could use to beat them.

Interacting:
AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Cephilia/Rena)
RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea)
EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia)
Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss)
Topless Topless (Sakura)
Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax)

Thea Schuerer

~~~
Handing over her Arcanizer, Thea said nothing as the reviews were given and finally reached her own, though her right eyebrow arched at the statement made of her, just what had she attempted? A low chuckle escaped at mention of the fight she and Lucia had. She now understood the issues that Lucia had with this, but she would keep her word. She would remain silent on it, though she hoped she would come to terms with it. But such thoughts were quickly suppressed as next was her..., no their turn. "Jade." She said in simple reply, already having her spell in mind, she listened to the criticism that Cephilia had for them, and the immediate reaction to the first bit was to look at Hyss with her eyes widening at first then narrowing.

What do I have in common with her? The only thing would likely be we both share this thought.

But she said nothing, some of what came next were those she had heard before, or even kept to in practice. Victory was indeed seized, and she had taken a direct hand in control because her team when left to its own devices had made things worse... Though, she had to wonder if her direct and forward matter of engagement had made them think that she did not need them. She had committed to using them and trusting them to do their jobs, she had the larger size, the armor and a blade designed to slash at large or multiple targets and she had worked well with them. Their skill as a battle unit made up for their failures in the investigation, though Thea had to admit she was too exacting with it...

Still, there was some truth in the last remark. She may trust them in a fight, but she did not trust them to make use of her, or to even be remotely competent commanders for the most part. A conflict of sorts played out across her features, before softening as she took back her Arcanizer, sliding it back into the slot she had made within her left gauntlet. Listening to what came next with Sakura, she was more than a bit displeased that the Guild was already considering removing her sanction... Looking at the other, she thought back to the mission, the mistakes the fox had made and the good deeds she had done, or the consideration shown.

Thea was indeed a zealot and considered Sakura a barbarian, but surprisingly, her zealotry did open a doorway that was instilled in the Goddess, the possibility of redemption and forgiveness. As Thea had told her and Hyss when all of this started, she was more forgiving than most with the heresy and crimes that were committed that day, even if she had to begrudgingly admit, that Cephilia had a hand in it as well.

Her upbringing as a Knight Errant also meant that the "Thou shall not kill." rule was open to creative interpretation and stipulations, where it was indeed alright to do so, because if everyone could do such, then the Goddess would not have given them the ability and reasoning to make war and weapons. The monsters of the land also had no reasoning, or those that did with malicious intent would more than happily kill a pacifist population. So she let out an exhale... For now, as with the Mission before, she would not stand in the way of Sakura acquitting herself, so long as she were earnest in her attempts then Thea was content to leave it to the guild.

Being an apostate aside, though she knew more than she was likely that. Viv of note, for reasons of her own the Knight made sure to never bring the subject up with her to this point. For knowing the truth would mean she would at the very least have to hold talks of faith with her. Then there was the fellow with the openly pagan tattoos, she still did not want to speak with or have any more dealings than needed with that one.

When all was said and done, Thea was quick to speak up; "I shall reflect upon the words you have spoken on this day during my meditations and prayer. I also would like to request training under you when it is best, I already have a healing spell in mind I wish to learn. And I would like to request martial training from Sen. I believe her nimbleness and brute force will help me improve one of my techniques." With her response said she waited for acknowledgement and dismissal, at which point she would make her way for the barracks room to take care of one more thing before finding a job for the afternoon if possible.

Interactions: Cephilia AnonyMouse AnonyMouse

Jf5CChj.png

Time: Somewhere in the Interlude

Last night was a good night. She got herself a belly full of hot, well-seasoned food, a bath that had to be changed out three times before all the grime on her body and hair could be cleansed completely, and even had a sweet drink for a desert after! There were plenty of stories to be swapped between the two separate teams of Kriegslowen rookies, and plenty to be admired too, from Thea’s muscles to Risax’s legs to Falion’s fancy words.

But that was last night, and now? It was daytime once more, the sun rising over the rousing city of Tylsen. Farmers were rolling in with fresh produce, merchants were setting out their wares on the open-air market, and bakers were baking by the dozen, the aroma of bread awakening her hunger once more. Lori, however, was enjoying other sensations in the morning. Her hair was so silky, after all! So pretty, in both the light of the inn’s hearth and the light of the rising sun! It came off her head in beautiful, shining waves, as tumultuous and dramatic of storm clouds, and it felt so light on her head as well. Perching atop the stable she had sheltered inside the night before (big city inn prices were scams, if you considered how much food you could buy with that kind of money instead), the birdfolk beastkin hopped up and down, marvelling at just how bouncy her luscious tresses were! It was great! She pulled out a steel mirror from her pouch, admiring her reflection and making all sorts of faces, enjoying just how remarkably devastating she now looked.

Honestly, it didn’t come as a surprise that all the city girls looked so crazy cute: they must be taking baths every day!

But, of course, the cost of public baths and beautification treatments had turned out to be the most expensive thing she purchased yesterday, so as for today…

Lori jammed a handful of nuts and dried fruits in her mouth, chewing noisily and dramatically.

…she was going to work!

And as for the work that an F-rank Kriegslowen could get, well, there was only the bottom of the pile. Sewer work was always available, but she didn’t really want to get down and dirty. Plenty of varmints needed clearing out in the surrounding farmlands, but she wasn’t much for violence, especially when she empathized more with the varmints than the farmers. Plenty of human-relationships requests too, from checking for proof of infidelity to ghostwriting romantic letters to the flower stall owner from one city away. But what caught her eye, though, was a tavern job!

The tavern they had dined in last night was a super cheerful place, after all. There was live music, tasty food, laughter and conversation all around, and the waitress uniform looked super cute. So if this ‘Rusted Cudgel’ Tavern required extra help due to their staff calling in sick? Well, Lori worked at same day rates no matter the days, but that only applied to deliveries. She always wanted to experience it, after all, the life of an employee that saw tips based off of how cute and sexy they were.

And she, of course, fresh off a hot bath and a hot meal, was undoubtedly the apex of both cuteness and sexiness.

Now, as for who else to drag with her…

Talio looked to be busy contemplating life, Cressey was going somewhere with her old party, and the last time Lori saw Lupa, the wolfkin beastfolk was still fluffing up her tail, so Endy it was. There weren’t many people that Lori could drag away, but the dark-skinned…what was he again? A talking guy? A talking guy. Well, he was certainly someone she could drag away, all the way down into the bustling neighbourhood of Western Tylsen, where industry and hospitality mixed together.

Forge-smoke rose up thick, while streams of blood-water trickled down from the butchers’ shops. There was a heady purpose in the air from the way everyone carried themselves, their steady strides persistently indicating of more tasks to do, more work to get done, and that energy too was persistent in the Rusted Cudgel, a weather-worn tavern that looked to have been a refurnished forge. The central hearth stank of coal, the ground floor was of soot-stained stone, and the bar’s counter looked like the work of an amateur carpenter. Perhaps the situation on the second floor, where the guests’ rooms ought to be, would be in just as dire straits, but, well, it was unlikely that either Lori nor Endy would have any time to do some exploration.

After all, despite its refurbished look, the Rusted Cudgel was a big space.

And of all the employees that they had seen…there were two kitchen hands, the owner-chef, and themselves.

“Yeah,” the thickly-built Durgerai said, “It’s gonna be a busy one, kiddos. Only got outfits for the lasses too, so you’ll just hafta treat it as part of the job, laddy. Your work’s simple at least. Got twelve tables here. Number 1’s closest to the fireplace, and it goes by the way of the clock after that. Take orders to the numbered tables, clear out dishes whenever you can, make good conversation with our patrons, give all the tips you get to me, and if anyone of them try to run off without paying, break their skulls and make an example outta em.”

He grunted, then pulled out two lead-weighted pipes, placing them in Lori and Endy’s hands.

“Here’s your Cudgels. Welcome to the family, Kriegslowen.”

Last edited:

Celandine_2.png

"I'm doing great. Oh, and just call me Sakura, no need to give me a nickname." Sakura said back at Hyss, noticed that she was trying to give her a nickname as she went along with the others to the meeting room where Cephilia was waiting. Once everyone had been gathered, Ceph said they're all promoted from F to E rank. This is just only the beginning however. As commemoration for the promotion, Ceph requested their arcanizers for upgrade and a choice of zauberite. Sakura gave her arcanizer to Ceph while she listened to what she said to each member until going for her.

Ceph called Sakura her "favorite", but the beastkin knew she was just being sarcastic. Or was she? She made mention of a certain flower girl that wouldn't shut up about her, and it was all thanks to her that Sakura will not get booted off the guild. She may not show it, but Sakura was largely surprised. Since when did Ceph got to know Flora? Did she stopped by her shop one day and had a bit of chatter? Or did she stalk Sakura to her house as Flora let her in? The guild's network is really, REALLY advanced, almost as if there are spies roaming around every corner of the city. Have they not know what privacy is?

Either way, Sakura was thankful for the good review, nodding in acknowledgement. "Thank you, Madam Cephilia, I shall keep up the work to your expectations. I will have a lapis zauberite, please." She said, knowing a spell in her mind that could be very useful in the future.

Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko AnonyMouse AnonyMouse RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko King Crimson King Crimson

Last edited:
Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hyss-banner2-png.999406

Currently: At the promotion meeting
Thinking: "Why'd I say it that way? Ugh, how stupid of me! What was I even doing??"

Interacting: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Topless Topless

"Thanks, I appreciate it," Hysydice murmured shyly to Sakura. Then they made their way to the meeting room. At which point Hyss waited her turn, listening to what was said about the others. At last, she was called up.

"Lapis," Hyss hissed quickly from under her hood. It wasn't a dangerous hiss, or a mean-spirited one, just a quick word. If they thought it was unusual that was unfortunate. Hisses were quite common where she was from.. and one learned to hear the different tones of them.

She looked up at Cephilia as the woman spoke, listening to her assessment. It was interesting to note that she and Thea were both the same in that they focused on the mission, but it was only a fleeting thought within the snake's head. Whether or not that was the case with Thea, she still went about it differently than Hyss had. But then the elf woman said something that lit like a lightbulb in the Beastkin's head, and gave her a glimpse at new perspective.

"Victory is seized..." Hyss breathlessly repeated enthralled a bit. Her silvery eyes glittered with that thought, considering its meaning. When at last her Arcanizer was returned to her, the hooded girl took it and said, "Thank you," before returning to her seat to ruminate. She perked up when talk about the topic of the town and its locals came up. She listened as it was stated that the relationship with locals mattered. Or at least, mattered more than Hyss had originally considered. It wasn't that Hyss had any dislike of locals, or anything, she simply hadn't even thought of this before. Now it was at the forefront of her mind. Learning from people 'in the know' was certainly a privilege. Learning here was as fun as it was back where she was from, except, here, she was choosing what she learned, instead of being fed only things someone else thought as beneficial.

She began to listen thoroughly, and think on it, despite the lecture being given directly to Sakura. Hyss had only ever been cordial to locals, though her presence was probably overlooked. She begun to wonder how she could cultivate these beneficial relationships with locals, seeing as how they were much more important to growth than she expected.

Well, there were the pastry chefs at her favorite bakery... Whom she was on good terms with. But...

Well anyway, Hyss's thoughts turned to other things, leaving all that on the back-burner for now. E rank was official. Which meant she had to learn even more. Train and get even better. She thought best about her options, and decided to make use of her Lapis Zauberite right away. -It was why she chose it after all, so she would need a proper spell. Then she thought about her combat. She'd need some training there too. Looks like, for now, her training was to be split. But that was quite alright, Hyss was ready to take it on.

7B773D09-74C2-4BFA-AA29-AAA7DD1FF48A.jpeg

TreasureSniper TreasureSniper / Talio (ment.)​

Ah, what a day! It’s far later than a growing adventurer’s bedtime should be, but Endymion is still awake and perched precariously on the edge of the bed in his guild-assigned dormitory. He hastily pens up a report of their newly finished mission — and not a minute early, as it seems he had lost track of the evening attending dinner with the others and only remembered his remaining duties as he was readying to drift off to sleep. Oh well; with a flourish, Endymion flicks his quill pen across the page and signs his name at the bottom of his work. It’s not his best work, but it’s detailed enough to get the job done, and he tears out the page and tucks it into the front cover of his book for safekeeping. He’ll drop it off to the required party in the morning. For now, he packs up his things, unfolds himself of the shrimplike position he’d been resting in, and gingerly slides into bed.

The clock Talio gifted him meets his gaze from the bedside table. It’s clearly more amateur than some of the others he had seen the merchant boy hand out, but Endymion sort of likes that. Feels realer, that way, or something. The last thing he focuses on before his eyes slip shut is the way the wood sounds when he reaches out with one fingertip to trace the edge of the clock’s body, almost reverently. Like it was something alive.

He’d have to give his proper thanks for the gift again tomorrow.

ERode ERode / Lori (int.)​

Well, maybe not today, since it seems like today is going to be a wildcard instead.

“Um,” is all Endymion manages, but then a womens’ uniform that surely won’t be able to fit him in certain places is thrust into his arms atop of the beating stick that their ‘manager’ so graciously gifted him. Someone he can only assume is Durgerai — being that Endymion struggles to lift his gaze from the floor this moment — pats him square in the back, and Endymion, for lack of a clue how to respond, blurts out “…thank you-?”

Before he can wander off to find a place to change, his head snaps to look in Lori’s direction as if for- permission, or salvation, or something, though out of all people he could have partnered up with it doesn’t help that she’s the most eccentric in taste of all of them.

At the very, very least, he doesn’t know enough of the people in town for him to worry that he might be seen by someone he knows; as long as none of the other Kriegslöwen decide to lunch here today!

“Hi, welcome to the Rusted Cudgel, might I interest you gentlemen in something from the bar to start? I’ll save you the trouble of trying to get another look down my top and let you know that there’s nothing there, sorry to disappoint, and I will break your hand with my cudgel if you keep at it. I highly recommend the spiced ale, it’s a regulars’ favourite. Cheers!~”

Today is the day Endymion becomes a mass murderer apparently, although he does his damn best not to let it show to the point that his cheeks hurt from the permanent customer-service smile he wears now.

Perhaps the biggest hurdle had been the humiliation when he dared to try on the uniform given. He’d left his long undergarments on at the very least to preserve some of his dignity, but sporting a corseted top and pleated waist apron that was in reality much closer to a wrap skirt had brought him awfully close to the edge of calling it quits. Perhaps a wiser man would have done so anyways. The thing was though that Endymion had never considered himself wise, only smart, and his rational brain offered this truth: stay, and you get money. Who was he to resist?

And besides, hardly a week ago he’d been spending the night behind a stack of hay bales and woke smelling like it. Of all services he’s lowered himself to, serving patrons in a bustling tavern was by far not the most complaintworthy. Right?

“Aya, be careful, if you break the dishes I’ll have to get you to pay for them,” Endymion chides as he leans over to fetch a customer’s mug that had been carelessly swept onto the floor; when he’s got it, he stands back up and turns around to hand it back to the customer. This cup was made of wood, so it was no need to worry, but the next time he might not be so lucky.

“I will keep that in mind,” says the customer, and he flicks a few coins at Endymion who catches them in his palms. “For the trouble.”

…..

……..How thoughtful! Endymion can practically feel his eyes light up. Ah, glorious money.

Why had he ever been apprehensive about taking this job? Clearly all the patrons wanted was a personable job well done, and not to speak of all the illustrating supplies he could buy now— frankly, it was almost too good of a deal!

Just as he makes his way back to the bar counter with a trayful of empty glasses and mugs in his hands, he spots Lori in the corner of his eye and beelines for her instead.

“You know what? As much as I do not appreciate certain aspects of it, joining you for this job was perhaps the smartest decision I’ve made in a while. I’ve made so many tips; that’s gotta be a good thing. Think of how many books I could buy after this~” he proclaims to the girl, a wistful air about him. “How about you? The day’s almost over already, have you been doing well?”

Jf5CChj.png

While Endymion possessed quality of service, settling easily into the role of a sharp-tongued older-sister type waitress who was surprisingly defenseless (owing to the fact that he was a guy in the end), Lori 100% possessed quantity of service. Her talons click-clacked against the stone floor as she became one with the chaos, both arms laden with dishes as she hopped, skipped, and sprinted from one place to the next, a veritable hurricane of long legs, long hair, and a smile that made it seem as if the sun had never set. And, beyond even the speed of her service was the speed of her tongue, the birdfolk beastkin always happy to chime in on conversations that she had overheard. Despite the rowdy atmosphere, after all, most of the patrons of the Rusted Cudgel were pilgrims on their way to the Holy City of Sarphia. They came from all walks of life, had treaded past so many different things, and as someone who was a tad bit more experienced with life on the road, the ruby-eyed Kriegslowen was more than happy to dispense some advice.

“Rain’s great! If you slap a leather hide over your pack and go half-naked, you’d get a shower AND be able to dry yourself off faster, because your skin doesn’t absorb water as much as your clothes do!”

“I’d recommend constantly snacking, by the way. It gives you something to do and more energy on the road too! Land trains only go so far, after all!

“Did you know? If you break that walking stick of yours in half, you can use it for both hands, and that helps a LOT with making it easier to hike!”

“I’d recommend eating lots of bread and pastries here while you can. It’s basically impossible to get that sort of stuff out in the woods, compared to meat and veggies.”

“Eh, no way! This is your twelfth time doing this? Wow, your feet must be super strong then!”

Of course, as a consequence of her flighty nature, she never stuck around long enough to actually receive any tips from the customers, but hey, the boss said to give him the tips they got anyhow, so it wasn’t like Lori was expecting to keep it in the end. Shimmying past a pair of particularly thick bullkin beastfolk, she slid back to the bar counter right as Endy did, but instead of answering him immediately, she shouted at the kitchen instead, rattling down a long stream of orders, each of which was responded to with an intensifying groan of pain.

“Glad you’re having fun!” Lori giggled, her own face flushed with satisfied contentment. She leaned over the counter to grab a pitcher of water, snatching two glasses off of Endy’s tray to pour the both of them a quick drink. “You’re looking pretty popular out there, Endy! Think they’re all really digging your look! I’m sure the boss man’ll be happy about all the tips too!”

And, with the innocence of a devil about to cast a poor soul into the fathomless abyss, Lori motioned to the tip jar. Motioned, as if expecting her fellow adventurer to dump every coin that was jingling in his pockets into that jar.

“It’s been fun for me too though. Sorta wish I could go on a long journey too though. Been traveling all around Raeligard since I was a kid, but like, Aurezia! A whole new country! Can you imagine that, Endy? Knowing nobody and all that?”

D320492B-8A15-4B09-90FF-AD137C65B21F.jpeg

It’s like watching the injured baby bird that you nursed back to health be released back into the woods to fly away, leaving you with only the memory of the short but deep bond you two shared together. Or something equally as dramatic; whatever. The point is that it’s sad when Endymion begrudgingly empties his pockets into the owner’s tip jar. A particularly shiny coin holds his attention a moment longer, and he dredges up as pleading of an expression as possible to cast upon Lori before he sacrifices it too to the collective.

“…Aah, tragic. You think the old man would let us keep some for good behaviour? Surely we’ve earned it after hauling ass all day… but I guess life’s not fair.” He accepts the glass that Lori pours for him afterwards and takes a sip, pausing for a moment afterwards to let her chatter soak into his head.

“…It’d probably be odd to go from having friends all over to being on your own in a new land, yeah. Is that really something that sounds like a good time to you? I mean, I see the draw to a fresh start and all that, new horizons to discover… but it gets lonely, real bad, real fast. Right?” Endymion swirls the water around in his glass and leaves droplets on the sides; they race eachother back to the bottom of the glass and merge just before the halfway point. “I don’t know. To me, the world feels plenty big enough already. I’d rather take my time exploring everything I can where I already am; maybe once I’ve learned everything there is to know, then yeah, exploring would be different.”

Jf5CChj.png

Hm?

Lori looked at him.

She really looked at him.

Her eyes glowing like embers that would never quite be extinguished. His eyes muted, the sky after the sun had set, the sky before the moon could rise. A smile born from an incomprehensible emotion tugged at her lips, the raucous chatter of the crowd seeming to fade away into muted noise. They spoke plenty, but for different reasons. Her words were celebrations of memories and present emotions, his were contemplations of creeping fears, of past and future.

Her lips parted.

"Endy, are you sad about something?"

In the wake of that question, silence rang endless, demanding response, demanding answer, demanding honesty, dem-

"Hey! Get those feet moving! We've got more orders coming up!"

Silence shattered, and the atmosphere of the tavern flooded in once more, laughter and anger, debate and gossip, all drowning out that strange, strange moment. Lori leaned back, saluting to the bossy old Durgerai. "Copy copy, boss~" she chimed, snatching three sets of soup and steaks off the edge as she swung her foot to tap Endy's leg. "Better get back to work, right? Feels like it's only gonna get busier!"

8341279D-4D53-498B-A489-8F30D216103B.jpeg

ERode ERode / Lori (int.)​

The pause hangs between them like blood between two spread fingers: gingerly, at first, as it stretches to its full length and seems to freeze to a halt in the air, before the surface tension breaks and the strand falls into two separate drops all at once, with a snap you could only feel.

He opens his mouth, then closes it, then opens it again. “I—“

Snap. The tension breaks.

Lori bustles off and loads her arms with yet more dishes to deliver. Endymion clears his throat, and picks back up his discarded tray of glasses.

“Yeah, you’re right. We’re in the home stretch now; better make it count.” And he gives her a lazy salute with one hand, his mouth pulled into a part smile that’s a little more genuine than he’s been flashing so far.

The two of them were very different in many ways, but at times, Endymion couldn’t help but think that maybe there was something within them that was the same: made of the same matter, perhaps. At minimum, Lori was so bursting with life that it stirred a small part of him inside and made him want to get up and match her energy.

He casts another glance over his shoulder to watch her leave and attend to her tables. Then he gives a roll of his shoulders, and sets everything else but the job back out of his head. There’ll be time for other things later.

The night ends as it began — with a rush, and then a crash.

Diners begin to filter out as dinnertime ends, and the tables left are replaced with men and women lower on the scale of sobriety. Choruses of chatter and laughter ebb and flow from them all. In the lulls, Endymion wipes down the sticky spots on the bar counter and pours refills for those watching him from the barstools.

The time comes eventually for the two of them to be dismissed. Durgerai waves them over with one rough-knuckled hand and passes them each a modest handful of coins from his wallet. Endymion hands him back his folded uniform along with the metal cudgel; it went, luckily, unused, although his grip now feels a bit empty without its now-familiar fingerholds.

“Good work for a couple of the guild’s gofers, eh? My regulars’ll be back tomorrow but if you’re ever looking for a day’s work again, I’m sure I’ll have gaps for you to fill.”

Endymion idly fiddles with the hem of his top. “Sure thing, sir.”

“That’s what I like to hear. Now get goin’ home while the streets are still awake.”

The march back home— or, well, to the guild — is mellow, and Endymion finds that the charred and spiced smell of the tavern’s cooking remains in his nose.

He withdraws from his pocket the little sachet of sweets purchased from a market vendor upon their initial return to town; little candied fruits, with big crystals of sugar flaking off them in chunks. He’d snacked on a few throughout the day but the bag remained mostly untouched. Endymion holds it out to Lori in his fingertips.

“Hey, how about a treat? I bought these to share in the first place but I haven’t had the chance until now.” Should she accept, he’s ready to toss the whole bag over to her hands with a grin. Consider it a gift!

Central Tylsen is not far and the guild’s form looms over them in no time at all. Endymion ascends the first few steps upwards before he pauses to face Lori.

“Ah— um, nice work today, yeah? And thanks for bringing me along. I would never have taken a job like that on my own, but it ended up… fun, actually. You know? I’m not used to having days like today.” He clears his throat and rubs a hand over the back of his neck. Just like that moment at the bar, things feel a little bit sharper, and quieter, and he finds himself lacking for words.

“…I’m glad to see you’re still feeling alright after what happened on our first mission. I guess it takes a lot more than that to ruffle your feathers—! Ehe.” A glance down at his feet, and then delicately back to her.

“I don’t think I’m going to catch up with the others tonight, but if you see them, I say hi. So, uh, rest well, yeah?” Endymion casts Lori one more smile, an easy task this time. “Probably going to have plenty more busy days ahead of us!“

Celandine-5.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Lucia frowned at that. It was an answer without answering anything. Not unpredictable, but disappointing nonetheless. Thankfully, they seemed to be moving forward with the meeting, so the Caskarieth had little time to dwell on the lack of actual information.

They made their way into a lecture hall of some sort, or so it resembled. Cephilia stated the purpose of the meeting, to acknowledge their accomplishments, in a predictably underwhelming fashion. Terse and to the point, though it was only a promotion from F to E. It wasn't as if they were A ranks, so while momentarily content, Lucia also didn't feel as though it was deserving of a parade.

Aside from that, there was the title of acting guild master, which Lucia raised a brow at. Come to think of it, the guild master hadn't been seen or met since they arrived. The woman, like most everyone else, seemed to desert the guild house when they arrived. However most returned. The young elf wondered if there was more to that or if this was business as usual.

One by one they were called up until finally it was her turn. Lucia caught sight of the smirk on the woman's face. She spoke about how she saw similarities between them at first, but it was clear the one-eyed elf was quite a bit feistier than the one with both. When to speak loudly and when to bite her tongue was something she struggled with, not because she couldn't, but because she was tired of it. She was tired of lowering her head. Still, perhaps because of that, she was all too willing to lash out and burn bridges.

That said, this was probably the most respectfully upfront and sensical that Lucia had seen Cephilia, and was arguably their most pleasant interaction thus far.

For her Arcanizer, Lucia requested a Jade Zauberite installed in the second slot. "Thank you," She expressed as she took the completed device, pausing briefly. "...and I would further appreciate your expertise with some spells to go with it. I have an idea for its application, but it may be somewhat unconventional."

Returning to her seat, it seemed the elf took at least some things to think on.

Mentions/Interactions: Thea, Cressey, Hyss, Sakura, Ceph, Falco, Risax

lolispearmen.jpg
Current Location: Guild Hall

"I-I wasn't scared..." Cressey muttered derisively in response to the Caskaerith's chiding, though the way she shied away from meeting her gaze as she took her arcanizer and hastily turned to take her leave betrayed how much the woman's words had stung her.
She couldn't admit to anyone, let alone to herself. that she had been pushed so far into a corner, that her only escape was to gamble with both her and her companions' lives; it would be far too much to bear, and would threaten to crumble the emotional dam she had just finished shoring back up.
It was stupid to think to hard about it anyways.
It's not like she was planning on pulling the same tactic twice against those two, or against anyone else, for that matter.
Shaking those lingering doubts away from her bowed head, Cressey walked out of the meeting room in a rapid, purposeful pace, inspecting the fanciful glitter of the ruby red zauberite now affixed on her wrist.
That's right...Just need to keep moving forward... Cressey reassured herself, pushing her new sense of progress to the forefront of her mind.
Today is her first day as a proud E-Rank Kriegslowe Guildmember, capable of more than she ever was before, and when the opportunity to speak with the Clockwork Witch presented itself, she would be capable of much, much more.
But, today was also a day like any other at the guild, and she would have to keep her nose to the grindstone if she ever wanted to move further.
And the only way to do that was to take on a request.
---
The guild's main hall had filled considerably in her absence, now abuzz with activity, and faces old and new.
Unsurprisingly, Rena had disappeared in the wake of the coming commotion, which left a small, queer tightness lingering in Cressey's throat, mixed with a sense of relief in her temples.
With a small sigh, she cast the thought aside, honing in on her objective; the guild's quest board, currently surrounded by desperate peoples in need, and eager, hungry adventurers ready to assist them.
Oddly, they seemed a bit more frantic than usual, murmurings of some strange news lost in the hail of assailing noise.
"Make way! Make way!" Cressey shouted, fighting her way through the shifting swarm of taller bodies to push her small frame closer to the notice board.
After a bit of pushing and shoving, she managed to make her way to the front, expecting to find some fresh, exciting E-Rank requests ready and ripe for the taking.
However, to her disappointment, she found nothing of the sort; just more benign, boring F-Ranks, with a small scattering of requests that were too far above her station.
One particular request caught her eye; a delivery to a hunting encampment out in the woods.
Easy and understandable enough, decent payout, and by the time she's finished, there might be something more worth doing.
She reached up to pluck the request off of the board, but her hand faltered when she noticed the document fluttering next to it, baring the Guild's seal.
Her curiosity peaked, Cressey took hold of the gilded parchment, tugging it down from it's place on the board so that she could give it a proper read.
"Due to outside circumstances, by order of the acting Guild headmaster, all requests posted..." she read to herself aloud, skimming over the lines of text in disinterest, until she reached the final line of the form, which caused her eyes to widen in shock horror.
"...Must be undertaken by at least two guildmembers!?" she exclaimed, roughly putting the now crumpled piece of paper back up on the board.
Stomping her way back through the crowd in a huff, she looked back at the request she had accepted, which, on further inspection, appeared to be written in what appeared to be a children's handwriting.
"Why on earth would I need a partner for something dull as this!? It's just a bloody package!" Cressey hissed, before firmly stating "I do not need a bloody babysitter to go through the woods!!"

Interacting:
@ everyone

Jf5CChj.png

Cressey, of course, didn’t need a babysitter.

But that didn’t mean she could escape the gaze of the bird-of-prey, the beast of a woman who stood head and shoulders above all else.

“Cressey!” A familiar voice sound from the guild hall. “Let’s go on a quest! I need another person anyways, so don't worry about the pay!”

Lori, after all, was always willing to work, and always happy to do deliveries. The job seemed to simply have been made for her, and indeed, it totally was! Parcel deliveries to hermits in the woods! Who wouldn’t want to go in for an adventure like that? From bandits to bears to snakes to storms, there were a host of manageable dangers to whet your appetite for excitement, and the even more important thing?

She heard from a little bird that Cressey was E-rank, so of course Lori wanted to party up with her again!

And thus, before any complaints about babysitting or grunt work could register, she dragged off the “dwarven princess” to the receptionist’s desk and immediately applied.

In a blink of an eye, or perhaps in an hour or two, the dynamic duo of tall and small were in the thick brush of the wild, following game trails that sliced through shrubbery and tree roots. It was a lovely day, sunlight streaming through the gaps in the canopy, birds and bees buzzing about in the air. A sweetness accompanied each step Lori made, the smell of fresh grass something to be marvelled at. From her hip, the small parcel was secured, while in her hands, she fiddled with a long blade of grass. Sometimes, she would break off bits of it, picking them off with her long nails. Other times, she would place it against her mouth and blow a raspberry against it, failing to turn it into a whistle. Most times, however, the Kriegslowen just sang a wordless song, enjoying the peaceful walk through the woods.

Certainly, this was not a pace that Lori was accustomed to travelling in, especially for work.

But, alas, while she had the package, it was Cressey who held the instructions to get to the place, being the only one between the two who was fully literate. Which, of course, also meant that the spearwielder was stuck having to answer Lori’s questions, all of which could be centered around a single root.

“So, Cressey, Cressey! How does it feel now that you're E-rank? I heard you got like, extra payouts and everything now!"

"Got it," Falco said, with a brisk nod in response to Cephilia's criticisms. He did not exactly agree with everything she said. If anything, he felt she should follow his example. 'Lady Valdergeuse' was well-respected by nearly everyone... but was she well-liked? There was such a thing as being too serious, too focused on the challenges before you, instead of the people around you. And now that she was 'acting guildmaster' or whatever, she really ought to work on those people skills.

She was right that the stakes would get higher, but isn't that why they should be laughing, instead of shuffling from job to job like stone-faced mercs? Someone's gotta keep everyone sane when shit gets real. Yeah, they could all learn a thing or two from him. The stuff they faced in Oyten was small potatoes, but some of these guys were at each other's throats over that. The team cracked under the pressure.

Come to think of it... I guess I kinda lost my cool too, Falco thought, with a small frown as he refected upon some of the things he had said to Hyss and Lucia. But at least he knew that and was working on it... right? They were getting along now... right?

Falco smiled as he tucked his arcanizer back into his shirt, now equipped with a ruby zauberite, in addition to the old jade one. It was no accident he chose this. I got this. They'll see. Cephilia and Hyss were probably the only people in this room who didn't take him seriously. He had already shown the former what he could do. Perhaps the latter needed a lesson as well...

"...And that concludes this meeting. Congratulations," Cephilia said dryly as she began to pack away her tools. "To those who wish to further your studies, I shall endeavor to make myself available. But probably not today." The others began to leave, but Falco remained behind.

Cressey had already slunk away before the benediction -- last one in, first one out. Since the moment he saw her yesterday, Falco could tell something was bugging the small girl, but he wasn't sure where to begin. It was probably none of his business and bringing it up might make her catch feels or something. His life since joining had been a whirlwind of legs, tails, and boobs being thrust upon him. He didn't need Cressey throwing herself at him, too!

Yes, that is definitely the reason he hasn't asked her what's wrong.

"Hey," Falco said, leaning over the Witch. She did not spare him a glance, but the subtle, annoyed twitch of her brow signaled she had heard him. "I want you to train me, too," he declared.

"Get in line. It seems charity work is my new calling," she muttered, as she unlatched a lower compartment of her case and drew out something large and arm-shaped, wrapped in oiled cloth. Talio's prosthetic, obviously. She set it on the table before shutting and locking her case. "I see you used the flash spell I taught you to stun the hooktail. Well done."

As she stood to leave, Falco lifted the case for her. He wasn't going to ask, this time. It was surprisingly heavy, but slightly less so without the manatech arm inside. "I learned that in a couple of hours. Mastered it in a couple of days," he said as he followed her into the hall. "I've got two zaubs now. I'm ready for something better. Something more... serious."

"Hmmm... so, that's what this is about," Cephilia said, cradling Talio's manatech arm as they left the room together and headed toward the stairs. "They'll take you seriously if you pack some 'serious' firepower, hmm?" That's not what he meant and Falco was about to correct her, but she went on: "Falion, I have probably forgotten more tier three magic than most of you will learn in a lifetime. Do you know why? Because I don't need them. Use the tools you have at your disposal wisely and brute force --of the magical or the martial variety-- will not be required. Your friends will like that more than some flashy spell." As they began to descend the steps into the greatroom, she glanced over her shoulder with a smile. "And, let's be very clear, you haven't 'mastered' anything... which is why I will continue to train you, Falion, the same as anyone else."

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you," he said with a nod. They now arrived at Talio's table, so Falco took that as his queue to leave. He set Cephilia's case at her feet, gave a lazy salute to them both, and swaggered away as Cephilia gently set the arm down before Talio and took a seat opposite the boy with her hands clasped before her, looking awfully formal. It was rather strange, Falco thought, the way she acted cold toward him despite clearly showing some favoritism. Maybe because they were both Valgemian or maybe because they were both interested in manatech or maybe she was nearing thirty and finally starting to take an interest in men... or boys... or something.

Some things were best left unpondered, so Falco wandered over to the job board to see what new opportunities this new rank afforded him.

Interaction(s): RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) / Topless Topless (Sakura) / Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax) / King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey) / TreasureSniper TreasureSniper (Talio)

Last edited:
1678450841246.png
Interaction: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Cephilia)
After submitting his report, Talio spent the rest of his time doing some intense number crunching. While their most recent quest was incredibly lucrative, it did not give him a good estimate as to what the average yield of a normal quest was. While this whole month's worth of payment had already been covered, he still had the next month to worry about and for now, at least, his business wagon sales have been falling behind their expected sales. He played with the idea of swapping out some of his stock, tailoring it towards more survival instead of maintenance, but there was no guarantee that such a swap make any big changes in profit.

Finance aside, Talio was also starting to realize how much of a time-sink this business really was. If he was adventuring, he wasn't selling, and if he was doing either of those two, he wouldn't have time to better his craft. Maybe if he segmented time better he would be able to achieve some sort of a balance. However, he soon realized that segmenting his time that way would not be feasible as one or more of his commitments would likely suffer. No matter how he looked at it, he would eventually have to let one of them go.

But such problems were for another time, for now, he had to turn his focus to something else. "Good afternoon, Miss Cephilia. You look, extra formal today. I am grateful to be graced by your presence." while some people may take Talio's words the wrong way, he meant everything he said. He knew it wasn't easy to get an audience with someone like her and cherished every opportunity he got to learn from the legendary figure, even if she was there just to exchange a few words with him. He gave Falion a nod of acknowledgment and a smile. He would have to find a way to thank him so time later, after all, he was the one who pointed him in the right direction and even went as far as sticking out to him. Good people like him were hard to come by. He had overheard a few sentences from Falion and he couldn't help but feel a small amount of envy. To be trained by such a legendary figure, perhaps is why that man is always able to smile so much. "Thank you again for accepting my humble request for repairs. In truth, I only wanted to ask if there were parts available for me to use as replacements." Talio was somewhat embarrassed that it came to this. He didn't think a cripple like him warranted the attention of someone like Cephilia.

"Good morning to you as well. I must confess, I was surprised to see you sitting here when you ought be out adventuring. I thought a man of your skills could find a way to make himself useful, even with one arm. However, the day is still young, I suppose," Cephilia replied to his greeting as she settled into her seat. To her surprise --and, perhaps, mild disappointment-- he did not immediately take the arm. Then again, maybe he was waiting for her to offer it.

"Unfortunately, no, I do not," she said in response to his question about spare parts. She took the arm and began unwrapping the cloth, which was mostly there to keep it from getting scratched or dented from its time inside her case. Not that it truly mattered; the arm already showed signs of usage and age. It was not something to be placed in a glass case in a museum, but something this boy needed for his daily life.

"In truth, I have only seen one of these... two? Maybe three times before," she said as its metal surface was revealed, "Though I have seen schematics and had the pleasure of disassembling one of them, so, I assure you, I did not fumble through this process." He probably didn't think she was using him as a guniea pig, but she felt it best to lay such concern to rest before they arrise. "They're quite rare, and the design philosophy of this one is slightly different from the Raelgardin examples I have seen, but the core components aren't as bespoke as one might think."

She went on to explain, at length, the repairs she had done. As she had theorized the previous day, there was damage to the geartrain, which was quite common in intricate devices like this one. When so many parts were moving past one another, sliding, rotating, and meshing together, a jam could easily happen. And when it did, especially in a combat scenario, things broke. One of the gears had lost a tooth. Two others were badly chipped. Fortunately, these could be found at most machinist's shops or landferry garages. She had a few in her workshop which she made fit, with only slight modification. She recommended not overclocking it again, if he wanted it to last. Limiters existed for a reason and the damage to the arm or himself could be greater, next time.

To help safeguard against this happening again, she added a layer of soft material inside the outer casing, sort of like the padding beneath a suit of plate armor. Not only did this dampen some of the mechanical noise, adding a bit of stealth to Tallio's arm's movements, but it also helped keep dust and dirt out and dampen blows, so if he ever blocks a strike with his metal arm --which seemed like the instinctual thing to do in most situations-- such blows were less likely to transfer directly into the inner workings or into his body. The only downside was that this lining might trap moisture if the arm ever gets submerged in mud or water and could be slightly more difficult to clean. However, Talio could easily remove it if he felt it was a detriment.

By now, Cephilia realized she was possibly rambling a little, so she promptly shut up and slid the arm toward Talio before lightly clearing her throat. "Ahem. Why don't you try it on? It is yours, after all," she said in a flat, business-like tone, which sharply contrasted the whimsical, almost nostalgic tone she had adopted as she spoke about her work. "Go on, tell me how it fits."

She had taken on this job as a distraction from other things going on. Last night, she needed that. But now, she needed to focus. She wasn't a little girl tinkering in her father's study anymore.

Interaction(s): TreasureSniper TreasureSniper (Talio)

lolispearmen.jpg
Current Location: Forest Path

"It feels...good, I suppose. Powerful," Cressey hesitantly replied to the birdkin, taking a break from trying to make sense of the map in her hands to eye the twin zauberites held on her gauntlet.
"...Though as odd as it may seem to you, I'd say the feln is more of a bonus than the main attraction."
Looking back to the map, she flatly scoffs, "...But what good that promotion has gotten me , still doing menial tasks for just enough to pay to afford a decent dinner for the night."
But at least I'm doing it with a friend,
she mentally noted, feeling a kindred warmth in her chest, despite the dejectedness of her words.
Really, for all her weaknesses; her lack of real fighting experience, her ditzy nature, her inability to read, Lori seemed to be quite good at lifting the spirits of those around her.
...Plus, it was more like she was taking care of her in this situation, so there was no underlying feeling of patronization to be had.
And for that, in this time when she was so full of doubts and worries, Cressey was glad for her presence, enjoying her melodic songs in quiet silence, or joining along in trying to make a whistle out of a blade of grass.

After a bit of traveling, the foliage began to grow thicker around the two: sparse plains and rolling verdant fields began to meld into thick shrub, and canopies of trees that cast a patchwork shadow over the road, pierced through with multitudinous holes of sunrays peeking through the thin gaps left by swaying leaves and creaking branches.
Chattering birds flew overhead, singing their birdsongs back in forth in a small, natural symphony.
Drawing her spear, Cressey struck the bark off of one of the surrounding natural columns, creating a makeshift marker for their trail, sending a small swarm of lithe, black shadows hiding in the branches overhead take flight.
She'd been through these woods a good number of times in her time living in Tylsen, and while she was semi-confident in her navigating abilities, getting lost once in the forest was enough for her to exercise a little caution.
"...Say Lori..." Cressey began, placing her lance back within it's sheathe.
"You said you were a courier once, correct? Have you ever made any deliveries to Valgem?"
"...Also, what made you decide to retire and join the guild? You don't strike me as the type to take on work that often calls for the use of a sword."

Interacting:
ERode ERode (Lori)

1678797484373.png
Interaction: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Cephilia)​
Talio was somewhat suprised by her change in demeanour. From his initial interaction with clockwork witch, he was under the impression that she was naturally snarky. "I had some paperwork to take care of. I've already finished my sales for the day earlier this morning." He really hope she wasn't expecting him to go out and do other jobs while handicapped like this. It was not only a risk to himself but also a risk to the goodname of the Kriegslowen. "Not much I can do right now apart from fixing leaky pipes and clocks I suppose." Talio replied with a miniscule amount snark, feeling that she would appreciate that.

And now the moment he had been waiting for, the unveiling of his repaired arm. "But of course, Miss Cephilia, I have no doubt that it will serve me well if not better with your improvements." Talio took out his notebook and begin writing each and every modification she had made to the arm, taking of how differently she had approached it compared to him. While had mixed feelings about removing the overclocking function, he had no doubts that the longevity of the arm had been increased exponentially.

Talio was more than ready to continuing to listen to her lecture until she promptly stopped herself and pushed the arm towards him. "It would my pleasure. Please..excuse my scars." He looked at her with heartfelt smile as he unbuttoned his shirt. Due to the way the arm was connected to his body, he could not just roll his sleeves up and shove the connecting mechanism into it. Instead he would partially slide off his work shirt one side, exposing the connecting mechanism grafted onto his body where his arm used to be. A lot of the initial cost of this prosthetic was also the installation of the connection point. His body was toned, but noticeably scarred extensively on one side, likely caused by some sort of an explosion.

Lifting his arm to the connection point, he would push to the contact point with each other until the surface interlocked with each other, producing a few satisfying clicking and clamping noises. With the connection point established, he was able to freely move the metal arm once more. The arm felt weird at first. It's weight was ever so slightly different but manageable. Slowly, Talio maneuvered the new arm to slide into the dormant sleeve, watching it effortlessly slide into it without any janky motions was a good sign of its flexibility. Next was the small gentle movements, a must got any artificer. Using the new arm, he slowly button his shirt. Utilizing the fingers to accurately slide the buttons into the appropriate slots. No issues there either. And now one more test. Talio would take out a small metal tool from his pocket and gripped it in his metal hand. Using his thumb, he would push the tip of the tool in one direction, gradually increasing the pressure. It didn’t take long for the metal tool to begin bending effortlessly under the pressure of his artificial thumb, showing that it's crushing grip was indeed preserved.

"It is good as new...no it's even better now.. Thank you Miss Cephilia."
Talio stood up at the moment and gave the clockwork Witch a well-deserved profound bow of respect. He didnt know what he could ever do repay such a deed. "What is the price for your service? I can't say I have that much on at the moment. I only humbly request that you gave me sufficient time to pay in installments." He wasn't sure what the lady was going to charge him. But as a well-respected businessman, he will honor any price she chooses. He actually had one more request from all this..but felt that it was best to ask for such a thing after the payment of the repair was settled.

Last edited:
Once the promotion and training aids were arranged Thea was in the barracks that served as home for a couple of weeks, gathering her things, there was in fact very little to gather, just a simple traveling backpack, Thea had more or less come with what was on her back and on her person. So there was not much on her end. Though speaking of there was one other here at the same time as she;

“Ah, Lucia, how fare you?”

“Oh, Thea. I’m doing well,” Lucia replied from her bunk. She seemed to be going through what clothing she had, strewing the articles neatly along her bed. “I will likely use some of our newly acquired coin for some new clothing. What of you? Are you packing for somewhere?”

“Hmm, yes, I’m going to live outside of the walls I think, renting a place out there, more at home away from the hustle and bustle of the City center, cheaper too, did you plan on continuing to stay in the barracks? And clothing huh. I might should do that, I have only what you’ve seen me in.” Thea said in quick reply.

“...I’m mulling my options over. I’d like to not take for granted this shelter. Also, admittedly, I’d care for my privacy…” Lucia began, however pausing at Thea’s latter comment. She turned to stare at her with a confused look on her face. “Surely you’re exaggerating. You have more than this, do you not?”

Looking at her a bit, Thea gives a nod. “Why I’m leaving out to find a place, I would like privacy and a place to lay my head and things. I plan to use half the pay towards that and immediately take more jobs.” With the later mentions, she shakes her head side to side. “I left with what I could carry and traveled across rivers and roads to reach here. I could send for things from home though…well once I work up the nerve to send for it or anything else.”

Lucia’s expression shifted to one of exasperation. “How is it you’ve survived this long with no other clothes… Or rather, any normal clothing whatsoever. Do you even have a casual dress?”

“Why would I travel with that? I had a couple of said things at home, but I’ve largely lived the life of a Knight, befitting of title and kin.” She says with a sigh.

“...You cannot wear your platemail to every occasion, Thea,” Lucia replied with a sigh of her own and a shake of her head. “You need a dress. One, at least. Or do you plan to attend a ball or formal setting clanking and clinking about?”

“When I need one, I’ll get one. Though it would not be the first time I was a guard at such. A good dress is also not cheap.” She said in response. “What about you? I’ve not seen you in anything else.”

“You’ve not seen me outside of sewer-trudging, swamp-going, and lamb escorting,” Lucia replied tersely with folded arms, then picking up a nice-looking rose-colored dress and holding it against her body. “And I still have one. You need one, Thea. Clothing in general… I should take you shopping with me, that way you have more than metal and a tunic to choose from.”

“Hmph, fair enough. Though still is such a thing really needed this soon? Though I guess I could get something akin to a commoner's dress cheaply enough. And hmm, a rose red dress suits you... Though, where was it you planned to shop? I had thought your first priority would be getting out of here.”

The elf seemed to gleam at the compliment, smiling in self-satisfaction with her eye closed. “Thank you, but enough about me. Yes, it is necessary! I was just going to peruse some of the shops in town… and you do realize having more than one or two pairs of clothing will not inhibit you from acquiring your own refuge, yes?”

“Hmm.. It is not that it will hurt my earnings and more of I lack somewhere to put them till I have a place. Form should follow function.” Thea says in a clearly militant minded manner. “Though I guess more than undergarments should be considered, even if I do prefer my tunic, though I guess it is for the best that we go together, I’ve spent some time learning the honest and reasonable merchants from the greedy and conniving.”

Lucia sighed at that. “I’m going to refrain from asking how many of those you came with. However, you should have more than a few.” Still, it seemed she had convinced the other, at least in part. “Regardless, a dress would suit you. You should allow your feminine charms to be seen once in a while instead of hiding it under a blanket of iron,” She said, folding her own clothing to stow within her own meager storage.

“I would refrain from answering either way, though I will say I changed when I first was able to on our return, the rainforest was not kind to me and my armor. As for a dress, I am more at home in pants and a tunic, though I suppose we shall see what we can find. Though from how most say it I’m much too tall, or my legs are the focus.” With that said she looked down at the other before tilting her head a bit. “Plus I did say I have clothing and things from home I could send for, though I think that is more trouble than not in both our cases.”

“As if it was kind to any of us… though, yes, I suppose your equipment is the most suffocating…” Lucia mused, looking at Thea a bit accusingly. “Fallion isn’t most… Besides, have you tried? You say you have clothing, but no dresses that you’ve specified. You can be a tomboy and still wear one.” Saying that, the latter bit alluded to something the woman probably didn’t want to talk about. “I do not believe I could… Maybe. “

Catching note of this, Thea says nothing for awhile, till a gloved hand reaches out to pat the other on the left shoulder, giving a light squeeze before breaking off. “No, he is not most, but I know many find my height intimidating. Though my father was even taller. As to dresses, I’ve had two, one was a doublet style with a long dress and brown boots that I mostly wore to festivals, and the other was a vanilla looking dress for formal occasions. Neither are things I care to wear often. But we should get going.”

The elf didn’t seem to dwell too much on the subject or the gesture, instead moving forward. “Many find a beautiful woman intimidating as well. You should hold some more confidence in your appearance, Thea,” Lucia stated simply before waving her along. “Yes, yes, let’s. I’m sure we can find something suitable for you.”

With the agreement struck, Thea led Lucia away from the guild to some of the more honest merchants as she thought of them. Saying little to the other in passing till they entered the nearby market district. Many of the merchants traded pleasantries with the knight, having worked for more than a few of them at least as she led them to a few shops that specialize in clothing. “All of them are alright on this block minus the one with the fancy window displays, they cater to the rich. So, pick one.”

"Well, well, look at you building connections," Lucia mused with a bit of a smirk as she perused the options. The goal was to get the giant something a bit more ladylike and less oriented for combat, so that narrowed a few options. Smiling as the elf decided upon one, she urged the other inside. "No running away, now let's see… Any preferences or vetoes?"

“Hmm…” Pausing to think on that she shifts her jaw a little as if to chew on the thought. “I rather not have something that shows me off too much, I don’t mind skirts though or making a multi piece outfit, but I cannot say I have any preferences. Though how formal or casual should this be?”

“You would do well to show off somewhat. Of course, you don’t think I would dress you as a harlot, do you?” Lucia questioned as she looked through the garb. The elf grabbed a couple semi-casual dresses and held them against the taller girl for judgment. “Something can serve a purpose for both. You’re unlikely to attend the kind of events that would warrant something so blatantly catering toward the former. None of us are, really.”

“Hmm..” Looking over the shelves, most seemed just a bit too fancy or accented area’s she did not care to show off, while there were things she had an eye towards, those purchases could be made later, though there was a sun dress with long sleeves, that she would take, but more importantly was the tuniced great coat with frills that turned into a dress, it would be tolerable in warming climates with a black under dress that had embroidery and a pair of boots with heels, she was not too fond of those. “Hmph, makes it harder to run. I don’t know how some girls fight in them. I think these will do, but we’ll need more money. What say you, we head back to the guild and find a job of our new rank before seeking out places to stay?”

Lucia sighed, taking the tuniced coat and holding it against her in much the same fashion as before. “You aren’t supposed to run or fight in it… by Aurelia…” Hanging the dress back up, she nodded. “Yes, yes. Let us do that. At the very least there won’t be anymore sewers or sheep-guarding.”

“Well, I was going to buy that..” Snorting a little, she took the dress back down from up top and paid a few silvers for all that she had grabbed from what Lucia had picked out. “I was thinking Merchant escort, but the ones with money coming out, or some larger beast hunt around here, if there are any. No more sewers till we have a need.”

Smirking pridefully, Lucia nodded at that. “Yes, that sounds sufficient… and we will have no need of sewers if I have my way,” She added. “Any beast should be child’s play after what we’ve accomplished~”

“Even the bosses have to go down there every so often, though I’m no more eager for that. And be careful of what beast we pick. The hunter can very easily become the hunted.” With that Thea asked the shopkeep to keep the clothes till she could come back for them later tonight.

Lucia groaned at that. “The bosses only went down there due to a mistake… but yes, yes, don’t underestimate the fauna…” She replied with a scoff.

“No. It is a guild tradition it seems that once every year or two they go down there to kill most of them. This time was unusual and outside of that… Either way, I do not know if we should take too hard of a quest, after all we won’t have the full use of our equipment and training to do, still, mayhap you are right, and no such beast around here will be too grave of a threat.” Thea says in response, crossing her arms at that.

“As in guild members, or do you believe Cephilia of all people trudges down there every year? It would be a waste to expend such assets for such a feat, much as it may compliment the city,” Lucia argued, nodding in agreement toward Thea’s appeasement. “Exactly, you worry too much Thea.”

“Hmph. One of us has to worry. My hair is already gray, nothing will be changed.” Thea says in offhanded humor, with a hint of a snort that made it not clear if she was actually joking or not. Thinking about it a bit, she nods.

“I do believe she goes down there. She knew her way around that sewer better than us, found us, and we had a head start. And Viv was waiting at the end. I know you do not like some of our jobs, but from a military standpoint, which the guild sort of is, it is to break you of your past life… To give you a new you… Something even I have problems coming to terms with.”

With that said, she motions with her right hand, uncrossing her arms. “We best talk as we walk. If we tarry too long the jobs you may wish for will be snatched up.”

“You say that, but I do believe after the gray comes the falling out,” Lucia teased with a smirk before waving her hand dismissively. “We also had been fighting. And like you said I am sure they have been down there at some point… just not after a certain point,” She added with a scoff. “Yes… throwing us in with the grime and rats. What a rebirth… But yes, let us go.”

“I never said she goes down there for fun. But she does go down there, and no, the hair isn’t falling out, though with some of what we’ve had to do I’m surprised.” With the next bit she sighs a little and shakes her head a bit.

“It is designed to break you down to build you back up with the ideals of the Guild. I know your life was not too luxurious, but I was raised to be a soldier, a knight from a family that was poor as the people it watched with few exceptions, most of what the guild has had us do is not so bad. Least to me, though I have no wish to explore the sewer, you must understand, the guild wants your loyalty, to break your past bonds in your duties.”

“Either way, I still say we should look over what we take, more pay means more expenses and I need to be here tomorrow for training, what of you?”

"I fail to see how such an endeavor builds loyalty…" Lucia remarked, unamused. "Regardless, I will be doing the same or searching for a roof."

“Either way there is much to be done. And hmm, I would offer what I am renting, but I rather doubt you would like a small cottage outside of the walls.” As they walked along it was not too long that they reached the guild hall, went inside and were at the quest board. “So we want something E rank, local and can be done inside of one day… Anything else?”

"True. I would rather something here in the city, but I appreciate the gesture nonetheless," Lucia replied. Looking at the quest board, she hummed. "Nothing involving sewage or refuse, if possible…"

“Well, it seems none of the likely options are for that.” Peering over the options, three matched their criteria. Pointing out three of the missives with her right hand, she reads them aloud,

“Well, let's see. No kill quests are up. One, is to guard a merchant who is going outside the city to the surroundings to deliver payments to various farmers and tradesmen, he has security of his own, but a guild presence was requested. There should be no hostiles. Two, well that seems to be an ingredient gathering job for a local apothecary, just things from the fields around here. Though it is exact in quantity and type, then there is a request directly from a resident in town to bring flowers to a grave in the highlands near the city as they are not able to do so.”

“Of course not… Hm… The merchant? What of you?” Lucia asked. “I have little experience identifying and gathering herbs. The last is possible as well, if not a bit mundane.”

“Hmm, I could do the other two easily enough, but the last one could be taken by people needing the work. The pay isn’t all that great, but a few silver is a few silver more than we had before.” With that all said she just grabs the Merchant job. “Might as well just get this over with. Provided it’s more uneventful than some of our guild assignments.”

“Very well. Who knows… we may yet conquer another slew of bandits,” Lucia remarked with an eager grin. “Seriously speaking, I surmise it will be uneventful as you say. Then again, the acting guildmaster has induced the pairing rule for a reason. Perhaps there is something exciting occurring, no?”

“We had help there. And that is one word for it. I could voice my thoughts on that statement, but here is neither place nor time.” With that said she went to the counter and claimed the quest with the receptionist, the shy girl in this case, before heading off. “The merchant answers to the name Tyber Kazeim. From the sounds of it he has a few employees that double as muscle, or at least personal protection. I would expect no more than four to five men.”

“And we have improved since then. Some common highwaymen are not to be compared with Hooktails or Esservines,” Lucia replied with a light huff. “And is it not? This quest is mostly walking, less you wish to be silent during.”

Glancing around the taller woman to view the parchment, the elf hummed. “Does it clarify why they requested guild presence if they already have muscle? Perhaps they are expecting something.”

“Not the quest. My thoughts in regard to all of this. As to that, likely to be official protection and as we are likely cheaper than mercenaries. That or some of his men aren’t here at all and we are a last-minute addition. Either way if I were carrying a lot of feln I would want protection too. He’s in the merchant quarter, so…where we left point of fact, or the street I should say.”

“Yes… I meant that during this quest we won’t be doing much else, so that is plenty of time to air your thoughts, but I will not force you,” Lucia replied with a sigh. “I would not much care if it did not reduce the number of quests we could complete and the compensation we receive… Regardless, I suppose the merchant will likely tell us when we reach him.”

“Hmm, just so.” With that Thea leads them off, speaking as she did so. “I feel as if a plot has descended upon the guild and that we by chance or the will of the Goddess have ended up as the Arbiters in the face of it. No F rank typically starts out how we have, nor move up so quickly. Though I am not of enough power to assist with the matter to confirm what I think nor to know everything to do with it and our guild leader being missing. Thus I can only work my way up to hopefully be useful.”

“Hah, so you’ve noticed as well…” Lucia trailed off. “Everyone avoided the building like the plague upon our arrival, yet they returned as soon as we had been broken in, save for the guildmaster. I suppose it’s possible they are simply buried in other endeavors, but all the same… Though I cannot say I enjoy being in the dark.”

“To know something and to not have the power to do anything about it would be far crueler than us not being spoken to. Also, we were new, it is possible they just aren’t around on those days. We’ll know more about that soon enough.”

Looking at her Arcanizer, she sighed softly as the Merchant quarter melted around them, soon coming upon a few stalls and a building marked as the Kazeim’s Emporium and Trade House. Fitting among its surroundings, the only thing different about it was that it drew much smaller crowds that consisted largely of other merchants. It was one of many such businesses that were the middlemen for smaller businesses and farmers to iron out better deals and contracts for a small fee. In many respects something akin to a bank, but for small businesses.

“Ignorance is bliss as they say?” Lucia said with a mild scoff. “I prefer the burden of knowledge, still. Though I suppose I could be looking for details that are nonexistent.” Glancing around at the various stalls and merchants, Lucia perused the goods and the people present. “Whom is our man?”

“It is in a manner.” She says as her eyes shift to the storefront ahead, it was obvious to the Knight who was the focal point of the area. A balding man that seemed to be human, though of larger than average size, though not in weight alone so much as overall terms, he had a kind face with brown eyes that were narrowed. In a way it reminded her of some good fortune statues she seen of a monk. With olive skin and black hair, she wondered if he was a newcomer to these lands from the islands to the North, or the result of a human and ovil-kin union.

Likely the later. Around him stood two men, smartly dressed in middle class tunics with short slick back hair. Gloved hands and a detached air surrounded them. “Him.” Walking over at once she spoke to the man when a few merchants left, a large lock box was at his side.

“Two lovely ladies, but as a married man I’ve given up on such pursuits for you to come to offer such. And ones who are armed and armored as sure as the Sun rising in the dawn, which would be unusual or concerning had I not requested aid. I assume you are with the Guild, or I have made enemies that I know not of.”

“And you must be Tyber Kazeim. Indeed, we are with the Kriegslowe.” So that was the way of it, he was understaffed.

“Indeed, here to aid you in your endeavors for the day. Lucia, a pleasure,” The elf greeted in turn with a short dip. “And where might we be escorting you today?”

Dipping his head in kind, the man stands to his feet and offers a wave of his hand in a courtly manner to welcome the two. “By the grace of the Goddess Aurelia, I welcome you. But let us get down to business. We all are busy beings, yes?” Tapping the collection box next to him he smiles, ringed hands tapping the box. “Many Merchants or Farmers are not so keen to deal with the hustle and bustle of the city, or frankly do not have the gib to do so. There is also the small issue of insuring cargo and making sure that the coin promised is indeed the coin paid. Normally I take a Kriegslowen or two for a visual presence, I find deterrent is better than me having to run the risk of fighting. In spite of my size I am a humble merchant.”

Moving on from that he then rolls into what the job is, or was, the where's and how's. “We will be stepping off to a total of twenty shops and farms, with a container amounting to funds that each are rightly owed from last month’s sales. Your payment will be as offered in the contract, Three silver each. Provided there are no unforeseen issues it should take no more than four hours. I mostly want you two to be visible and a clear presence of the Guild.. Should there be trouble then me and my men will make for the City. I’ll be traveling on a carriage with the lock box and one of my hired men. The other will watch the rear and I ask you lovely and deadly ladies to take the front.”

Thea listens to the man and turns her head to face Thea, if he was actually paying three tenths of a gold, then he likely had several dozens worth of gold in that box, the livelihoods of several were at stake. Still his plan was simple enough, walking escort as he made the payments, though she was a bit unsurprised and yet disappointed that the round mountain of a man would not actually be walking to do his job.

“I’m fine with this. Lucia? Ah yes, pardon my manners, I’m Thea Schuerer, E Rank in the Kriegslowe.”

Lucia gave a few nods as the man spoke. It was straightforward as predicted barring no trouble arose. “I have no qualms. Additionally, I am E Rank as well. Do you typically encounter issues when making these trips?” She asked, wanting to get a grasp on the commonality of such a hurdle.

“Rarely, though there has been a time or two I’ve had to hire the guild to retrieve items or had a fight on my hands. Bandits tend to not gather near the city or it’s highways, but better safe than sorry, plus having you or other Kriegslowen around for these contracts keeps me in good standing with the guild should further work be needed.” The man said simply before turning towards Thea. “I’m ready to leave at once if there are no further business matters to attend.”

“There are none, we can leave at once and take the lead.” With the deal struck, Thea kept close enough to easily speak to Lucia as the group of five made its way down the various streets of the merchant quarter.

As the small group made its way through the city no one was really stupid enough to attempt a robbery in the middle of the day, and those few who were stupid enough were quickly dissuaded by the two armed and to one extent of the other, armored women. Soon enough they were out of the city and making the rounds to the farms, minutes and then hours ticking by, after a small break the group of five were now returning, everything was calm and quiet, apart from sounds in nature.

Once they were back in through the gates they were once more finished.

“That went well. Perhaps I even have some time to look for a dwelling,” Lucia mused with a stretch before garnering an idea. “Speaking of… Ser Kazeim, would you happen to know of any roofs within the city that are for sale or rent. Preferably ones none too extravagant.”

Reaching into the coin box he takes out three silver for each of the girls, pressing it to their palms and nodding his head in thanks, though at Lucia’s request he paused for a bit and chuckled. “Why in Tylsen there are many places for rent, from a humble pauper’s shack to manors of the rich and powerful. Though not extravagant. Hmm what sort of accommodation were you looking for? For example, do you wish to be in the market district, the East Ward, the South, Road access, wood, stone, fees you are looking to pay at most or least, number of rooms.”

“Something closer to the guildhouse that an E Rank could afford. Preferably somewhere I could sleep soundly and leave locked without much worry. As for size, just enough for myself,” Lucia replied. First and foremost, she was in need of a place. She couldn’t be too picky.

“Hmm…” Looking at the girl, he was curious about the eyepatch, and the fact she seemed of noble posture and bearings… Still some questions were better left unasked. “In your case hmm… How much attention do you want to put up with?”

“I don’t mind attention. I’m quite used to city bustle,” Lucia answered.

“In that case I can name three places, one is a complex that has rooms in it for a reasonable fee named the Bannered Lord. It is near the merchant quarter on King’s Lane. The main thoroughfare, they have a sign of a knight helmet with a red banner, can’t miss it, big as me.

The second is individual units near the noble district and clock tower, they have white plastered walls, the main office tends to have a black dog out front who is always sleeping, tell them I sent you and what you do. Mostly older people who are retiring live there, so gossip or prattling old folks is the norm.

Then there is the Rosari Inn near the main gate, it is rather clean and reasonably priced, mostly travelers in and out, but they do long term rooms and have a bath for all occupants to share, not at the same time of course. But it is right two doors up the street from the Guards Barracks. You may also mention me there. Naturally for better or worse you constantly pass a guard presence on the way to the Guild and back.”

“Hmm… Would the Bannered Lord or near the noble district have exclusive baths or are those shared as well?” She questioned.

“Both have their own baths, yes, though you will have to pay more in rent.” Kaziem says in short reply.

“Fair enough, I think I will take you up on your suggestions. Thank you,” Lucia expressed with a short smile.

“Be well my friends haha! And should you ever need some advice on the Markets do come back! Who knows, maybe I’ll ask for you two next time!”

With that said the man got back to work as Thea leads them off. “A bath hmm? Maybe I should buy a tub for where I’m going in place of using the public bath.. So do you wish for me to tag along or rather part ways here?”

Giving a brief bow before Lucia turned to walk alongside Thea. She sighed when out of earshot. “I do not how one would prefer sharing their bath. A lady should have their privacy. Regardless of that, tis up to you, unless you wish to go perusing the options he provided.”

“Hmph, I lived around a cluster of villages and the bathhouses or hot springs were what most had. And they aren’t that public. It’s chiefly a few women or a few men off in their own space… But ah, hmm, I guess I could go with you to look, I would offer you to see what I have lined up, but I doubt you want to be going right back out the walls again.” Thea said in response.

“That is one thing I miss, being able to relax in a bath by myself without worry of being interrupted or keeping others waiting,” Lucia mused. “It is your choice. If there’s time in the day, I wouldn’t mind going to yours. Of course, I wouldn’t want to keep you from finding lodging either.”

“Oh no, I already have it lined up, I plan to move into it tomorrow.” Thea said before snickering at the other’s protests and missing her own private bath. “Why I bet you do, your highness.”

Crossing her arms and looking up at the sun she nods. “Depending on how long it takes to pick between your two options, we should have enough time to get there and back. It’s an older couple, their children are off in the Army or with merchant caravans. They have a small travelers cottage that I can rent for a low fee for the near future, having a Kriegslowen around as a deterrent to protect the farm is mostly how we came to this agreement, they come into the city often to sell produce or crafts.”

“Hah-hah. Mock me if you wish, but you should try it some time,” Lucia remarked with a proud huff. “If that’s the case then, let us be off.”

With a nod, and true to word, the Bannered Lord was not hard to find, in fact it was a three story structure that was easily as large as the Guild Hall’s main portions, though it seemed to have tiers of living, with some apartments being larger and more grandiose in design, the ones that Kazeim has mentioned, it was roughly the same size of the hostel but split into three rooms, a kitchen with a furnace, a small bathroom with plumbing to the city sewer, a tub, stone tiled floors with a bedroom, no furnishings of note were on hand. The business owners did not actually handle the day-to-day running's, rather a posh looking butler did who was not so keen to speaking with the pair till who sent them and what her occupation was mentioned. In effect the structure was the size of an Inn room with a couple extras and was on the top floor of the structure.

Next up the unknown apartments, which had no name as it were, so much as the small collection of houses that were kept on the premise, true to word there was a black dog who seemed to laze in the sun, only lifting its head to stare at the pair and giving a bark. True to what the merchant had said, the area seemed to be for older people mostly who had retired with modest savings or who could no longer live outside the walls. Meeting the landlady, she said that the place was normally called the White Wallers, given the plastered facades of the wooden houses, in the past it was an area that served as housing for the Servants of some of the Lords in the nearby district, the Clock tower and surrounding area were easy to see. Taking Lucia to one of the empty homes, it was rather modest, if not slightly larger than the Bannered Lord’s, with three rooms and a small entrance foyer for one to store things or to keep their boots, the floors were wooden and had seen use and it also had a bath.

With this out of the way, they emerged back to the crossroads, where Thea said simply, “So, decide which you wanted?”

“I think the White Wallers. Seems rather quaint and quiet and I can afford it… though I hope these quest restrictions are lifted sooner rather than later,” Lucia murmured, specifically in how the restrictions affected cash flow.

“We’ve moved up faster than most, though I doubt you’ll be living near what you did then any time soon, still better than a slum. Though, who knows, maybe we’ll move up in our keep soon again.”

With that she motions for the other to follow. “I won’t keep you long, you need to snatch that room up while it’s still daylight, though, I wonder if there are many secondhand stores, for some furnishings and the like.” As they went down the various roads and traveled in silence or with some conversation, they would end up outside the gates and about twenty minutes later arrived at one of the farmsteads where a wooden cabin laid off to the side, it was not too remarkable, with only two rooms, and a more recent addition of an outhouse built off of the primary entrance. It had a fireplace and cabinet space in the general room, with a cooking rack inside, and a room with a closet space that seemed to be a bedroom.

“Not as much room as you, though good enough, not sure where I would put a tub though, at least I have a well I can get water from and a nice shady oak. Needs dusting and a cleaning though.”

“I’ll furnish it overtime. Securing the dwelling will take most of what I have,” Lucia mused as she followed along. Eyeing the surroundings of Thea’s new home, she gave a nod before smirking. “Yes, not too bad… though could do with a bath,” She teased, remarking after Thea’s prior comments towards her.

“Hmph. We shall see. Either way we best get back to the guild, I know you wanted to move out today, I will first thing tomorrow… though I could get a Cot and stay here tonight.” With that she waited to see if there was anything else that Lucia had to say before they parted ways.

“I’ll likely move out in the coming days, but I would like to secure it at the very least. I think that will suffice,” Lucia replied. “Either way, if you would have me for a quest, you know where I am or will be.”

“Indeed, I have training tomorrow, but I suspect we’ll have time for more work soon enough.” With that the pair went back to the guild to conclude the day, and to inform whoever was in reception of where they would be moving too and when.

The following day, Thea had other things to take care of, but the morning was still new and there was time for other things, it would be unlikely she would do a job today so much as focus on her training, or at least receiving it from Sen and Cephilia, but first was morning prayer, she did not plan to take on a mission today, so she was not going to don her armor, in fact now was a great time to perform maintenance on it. But first she would do some training in the yard and take one final walk around the guild hall as today would be her last day staying in it, provided there were no sudden surprises.

Talio was just about preparing his stock on his wagon. He made it a habit of selling different things everyday, providing a steady rotation of items over the course of a week to provide a sense of artificial urgency while also using it as an opportunity to see what items much more popular over certain days of the week were. Today’s sale focused on products related to caring for one’s weapons ranging from whetstones to sharpen a dull edge to oils to prevent the blade from rusting. His personal favorite was this special chemical that was useful in cleaning blood off the surface of blades and armor.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a familiar female roaming around the guild building. Talio never forgets a face, and he knew for sure that this tall woman was none other than Thea. Even without her armor, she had quite an impressive silhouette to her. “Well met, Thea!” Talio gave the girl a wave with his new mechanical arm, now fully covered in his sleeve along with his signature gloves. Jumping down from the wagon, he was hoping he would have a chance to talk to this pious knight. “So, Thea, What's your agenda for today?” He asked with a curious look in his eyes. Praying and fighting aside, he always wanted to know what these knights did in their free time.

“Hmm?” Turning to glance, it seemed it was Talio, while she was guarded with him, that was not the same as avoiding him, plus it seemed he was a merchant as claimed, some of his wares may even be of use to her. Gazing over at him, she decided to at least address him. “Talio. And hmm, training, maintenance to my armor, today I shall not take on any jobs.. Ah, and I was making final preparations for my move out of the guild hall, though I still need to acquire a few things.”

"Ah training and maintenance huh? I might have something for you.. but are you looking for anything specific?" People tend to be very particular with what they allow onto their armor and blade, especially the disciplined knights. " I was just about to open up my stall. Oh and you're moving out of the guild? Any particular reason? Did you find cheaper accommodation?" The could be a plethora of reasons for her move but perhaps she just wanted to live closer to the church.

“Hmm, a solid enough stone and oil of good enough quality. I am not too picky, honest pay for honest work. Other than that mayhap a manatech lamp. But ah…” Pausing at his second mention she chuckles.

“Ah, that's right, you stay in the wagon. The guild has a basic barracks for new recruits, it has no privacy, wooden bunks with a small storage chest under the padding and several must share. A hostel really. I now have enough money or the means to make enough money to not need to depend on that kindness… To be clear, I am grateful to them. But I want someplace to lay my head and be left to my thoughts. To this end, I am going to rent a small cottage just outside of the walls that I found yesterday. It is small, but it will do for now.”

“Hmm I see….” Talio retreated into his wagon, quickly retrieving a few of the items she had just listed from before, namely a whetstone and bottle of sword oil, placed on top of the counter. “I may not have a manatech lamp... yet. But I do have your basic sword maintenance necessities." Talio raised his eyebrow for a bit upon hearing her chuckle. He didn’t think it was particularly funny to be living in a wagon. “Yes indeed, I do in fact live in a wagon. Not the most spacious abode, but helps me save money on renting a place to stay.” Though he did find it amusing that a pious knight like her was capable of chuckling like that. “And I guess I do have privacy as well.”

“But there is no shame in accepting a helping hand every now and then.”
Talio remarked upon hearing about how the guild would offer recruits a place at the barracks. “However, I understand the sentiment. It’s good to have a place to yourself, one where you will not be disturbed.” The merchant recognized how important it was to find some time to reorganize himself after a long day of work. “A cottage. I would say that is a big step up from living in the barracks. Well done on you for being able to go that far!” He congratulated her on being able to move up in life. Something he himself was struggling to do at this moment. “Now then… would these items be adequate for you?” He hadn’t given a price for the items just yet, but he had something else in mind apart from just money. “I myself prefer using a grindstone, but it’s not exactly something everyone can move around with let alone afford.” He always counted himself lucky, having access to a lot of his amenities from the comfort of his wagon. But then again he did have a large crippling debt that most people did not.

“Hmm, no, the laugh was over the fact, your Wagon is in fact likely better than the hostel, just take a look inside when you have the time.” At his congratulations, she offers a small dismissive wave, humble in it. “It’s only two rooms, but that is enough for me, small rooms, if anything I need to buy me a few housing items, likely camping sorts for now that are easy to move. And hmm, it was from farmers that I’ve helped as part of the guild. They have their reasons and I don’t mind them.” With that she looked over to see what he had gotten and thoughtfully reviewed the collection.

“A grindstone has its purposes and the farm I’m staying at, the cottage belonged to some older family members as a retirement home. They do have a grindstone that I can use for helping them out and keeping the farm safe during my stays.” Studying the pieces, she opens one of the oil bottles, taking a sniff, dabbed a little on a finger and nodded.

“You may have better luck with a wagon like that by working out a deal with one of the landferry companies. But ah, yes depending on the price I am more than happy to buy these.”

“Ah unfurnished I guess? Maybe I could help you out there as well. I always wanted to try my hand at carpentry. “ If he could build small machines, surely he could build static objects as well right? But he will hold on to this offer until a bit later. “Ah so you have an additional agreement of some sorts with them. Interesting.” Usually paying the people rent would suffice, but it seems like this knight went as fast as to offer them protection as well.

He took note of how easily she was able to decipher the value and quality of the pieces he had given her. Clearly a person who was experienced enough in maintaining her armor and gear. “I see that you have a good eye for oil as well. Most people would blindly accept things like that.” He commented on her method of appraising the oil, which was something he did as well when buying from a supplier. “Don’t worry about the price. Consider it a gesture of goodwill. That said, if you do want to pay me back I do have a favor to ask.” His eyes turned towards the wooden swords on his wagon. He often had sparring sessions with some of his customers as a way to settle price disputes as well as an entertaining way of selling his wares. Win or lose either way, he was still selling stuff.

“You’re a knight, so it’s safe to assume you're quite skilled with a blade.” Pulling out one of his wooden swords, he would present it to the knight. It was about the same size as a standard Zweihander. “Would you spar with me every now and then? I’d like to improve swordsmanship. The bandits of these lands are a lot more skilled than the usual rabble I face. And my usual tricks would likely not get me far.” He made a humble request to the knight, hoping she was open-minded enough to accept such an offer.

“Hmm, I rather pay money, but very well, I shall hear out this request.” As he went on about it she would listen and watch his movements and offer. “I can agree to this offer, though not always, some of my training is fitness related or performing movements of my techniques in drill. A spar every so often as you request would not be a problem. As to that, from what was told, I highly doubt your group was facing normal bandits. Or even bandits to begin with. Funny enough our first job ended up with fighting bandits.”

Taking the wooden training sword in hand, she bounces it about in her right hand, twirling it as she paused. “Hmm… I suppose we could spar now, though that is likely to be half of what I’ll be doing later today.”

“Bandits, it's always bandits.” Talio mused as he grabbed his training swords and hopped off his wagon. He wielded one sword on each hand, a peculiar choice of weapons, but not too rare. His wooden swords were slightly different, a large wooden “blade” attached to a metal hilt that resembled some sort of a contraption. “You honor me by entertaining this request, knight Thea. “ Talio commended her willingness to listen to his odd request.

With a wooden blade on each hand. He shifted into a standard dual wielding stance, one often used by fighters that preferred fighting with a parrying dagger. "I guess we might as well lay out some ground rules. We lose when either of us gets knocked on our bum or we lose consciousness or perhaps one of our vitals is struck by the wooden blade?" Talio wasn't too familiar with how knights trained in sparring. Either way, he was willing to follow whatever conditions she suggested.

“Just Thea is fine. I’m a Kriegslowen, same as you. And point of fact I was a Knight Errant. Which means I was on the final step to being a Knight. Though it is a title that fits me.” With that said, she listens to his suggestion to the spar, and one of them she found counter productive.

“Least I am in armor I have no intention of fighting that hard, to the point of collapse. A knockdown or a vital blow may suit this. Or first to three vital hits. Though I do have healing magic should either of us end up bleeding in this game. Though I must admit I’ve not trained with a wooden sword in about 10 years now. We would use unsharpened steel, or live blades that we must stop from reaching direct contact, with what would be lethal being called out.”

"Alright then, Thea, Let's go with three vital strikes." Talio smiled as he brandished his wooden sword a few times. "I must say, the thought of using unsharpened steel is most enticing. I think I'll use that next time. Now then…let's begin. En guarde Thea!" Talio after giving her a fair warning would charge at her with flurry of blows. Something that might look scary to the untrained, but looked like wild flailing to those who have received training. This was in fact on purpose. Talio wanted to see how she would attack random brigands. He wanted to clash blades with her and hopefully have an opportunity to catch her off guard with spraying water on her face.

“Hmm, I may consider it once I see how eager you are with wood.” Standing her ground as he began the assault, her reaction was swift and assured, she stood her ground, looping the sword up and over in a crossguard to sweep into the initial hits, using sheer weight of mass and strength to bat them aside if he continued his assault as she recovered the weapon she took one step forward, aiming a massive sudden swing towards his midsection.

Talio's swings would be knocked aside by the experienced swordsman, showcasing how strong the knight was. After recoiling from the strike, would move forward to counter attack but did not expect the knight to swiftly prepare another attack, a side strike that would surely knock the wind out of him if it connected. Instinctively, Talio raised his metal arm to block the side strike while also lunging towards Thea with the edge of the wooden sword. Using his arm as a shield while counterattacking with the other arm.

However, before he could connect with his own attack his entire body would be pushed aside from the attack. An impact of the wooden sword on his metal arm would produce a loud sound before he flew to the side. The fact that he was still standing after such an attack was testament to the durability of his arm more than anything else. Talio took a step back to catch his breath. While he didn't suffer any noticeable damage, he was taken aback by her strength and response time. "So this is the fighting prowess of a knight…but I have a feeling you're holding back…" And now, Talio waited for her to counterattack.

“Hmm, I don’t know if I would say that.” Keeping her distance she remained calm and collected in the here and now, not pressing her advantage. Or maybe in that manner she was. “My father was far stronger than I, and even within the guild there are many I say are stronger still. In terms of actual experience the only advantages I may have over you is in childhood drills. Though you are correct, there are techniques I’ve not made use of. Though you are one to talk, using such a sloppy form and then when it turns against you, you take up a stance and block.”

“Either way, I’ll consider that a point in my favor.”
With that she keeps her sword in the same looping stance keeping him at the edge of her reach. “I’ve no reason to get closer.”

“A good assumption to make. There is always someone stronger around the corner.” It's good that she was humble, afterall she was a disciplined knight. As to being sloppy, he was simply sizing her up. Taking a hit on purpose was just to see how hard the knight was able to strike in her relaxed state. “Right you are, Thea. In training I like to warm up a bit before getting into it.”

“Alright then, two more and I am out.” Talio spoke, walking forward and raising one his metal arm upwards for an obviously telegraphed overhead strike. However, as he got closer, he would raise his other hand instead, spraying a gush of water towards the knight’s eyes. In an instance, he would perform a disarming strike, aiming to strike at her hand while she is blinded.

“Playing around like that is a good way to get hurt.” She said in regards to his getting into it. With his acceptance of the hit, she takes note of his hand reaching out for an overhead strike, something she did not buy into at all. Keeping her guard, she had the far superior reach in this scenario, however she did not count on such conduct as to throw water in her face, with her hand then struck, she was not wearing armor and lost her leading hand on the weapon, but kept her rear.

Seeing that she had just released one of the grip of one of her hands, Talio took this opportunity to follow on the earlier attack with a downward strike, one he called the helm breaker, striking her hand once more to have her fully release her grip. Immediately right after that, he would swing his other wooden blades towards her, taking advantage of her recovery from the waterspout to strike her on her side. While he knew people weren’t particularly fond of these unorthodox tactics, he felt that it was necessary for someone like him to use it to survive against much more skilled brigands of the land.

With his unorthodox tactics, Talio gets his hit in and the knight is decidedly upset, staring at him with a hint of harshness to her gaze. Shoulder checking him to gain room to grab up the blade, she quickly lifts it above and behind her head, bringing it down in a series of repeated strikes of the Schuerer strum.

Such strength! Such ferocity! The merchant hurriedly lifted both his blades upwards, trying his best to block the overhead strikes. With each strike, he could feel his grip on his blade slowly loosening, at least on his normal hand. Talio knew he wouldn’t last long against the trained knight’s onslaught, so he had to improvise once more. Relying on his metal arm once more, he would release the grip on his left sword, letting it drop harmlessly to the ground and extended his arm forward, attempting grab the attacker’s weapon with a vice like grip. While doing so, he would use his other arm to perform another side strike to impact her torso.

As his metal arm grabbed the wooden blade and his own came for her side, Thea quickly used her long legs on the offensive, aiming for his own side with a sudden right sweep of her leg, his holding of the blade only giving her a more stable footing.

And just as the merchant he had finally got the better of his peer, the tall lady managed to swiftly knocked Talio off his feet with a single sweep of her long leg. “Wooah!” Talio exclaimed as he fell to the ground on his butt. He was at a lost for words at first, laying on the ground with his eyes wide open in shock. Taking a few short breaths, he would eventually start laughing a bit as he slowly got himself up. “Well…you got me. I wasn’t expecting an attack from your leg.” Talio with his hand still awkwardly holding onto the onto the wooden sword with a tight grip. As soon as he released it, and imprint of the metal hand could be on the wooden weapon, showing how how hard he was holding onto it.

“So then. You got any advice how I can fight better?” He wanted to understand how much of a capable combatant he was, weighing in if it was finally time for him to hire bodyguards instead. “I like to think I can hold my own. But I have a feeling some day that line of thinking is going to get me killed.”

Looking at him, she was still displeased by the subterfuge, and the match had no clear victor, still, points had been made, setting aside the wooden sword she looks at him a bit and then sighs. It was his way of fighting and he was not the only one in the guild like that.

“For one, I do not believe fighting me will gain you anything. Hyss or Falco would be far better as their nature of fighting is akin to yours. Though you are two inches taller, I spent a lot of time honing my body for combat with the blade, though I wonder if that is enough.. But I digress. You are far unlikely to run into a fighter akin to me as this is a style of fighting developed and trained within my family for generations.

However, your two blade style, the problem with it is it is a specialized form of fighting that requires a commitment to my use of the Greatsword. If not more so. Your arm, while impressive , lacks the full range of motion a human has and there is not a machinist alive on this landmass who can do such a thing. In effect and to little surprise to me, you are quick to use subterfuge and to go for lethal blows, but you lack the skills to execute it, or the range of movement given your arm and male form to fight in a fast paced and improvised manner. When you should think more akin to a duelist. Sen might be willing to help you but I am unsure.

Either way there is no such thing as fighting better. There is commitment, speed, endurance, power and technique. And Luck… Either way, I know not what your team was against, but the fact the guardsman also went down tells me these were no mere Bandits, and even if they were, your methods are in disagreement with my own to offer you advice. For if I were to tell you to just not fight that way would be akin to someone telling me to not sling around a giant sword.”

Talio quietly listened to Thea’s analysis of this short bout, going as far as to take out his notebook to jot down any useful take aways. He was inclined to agree with most of the stuff Thea had just said. He liked talking to this knight. She was straight forward and wasn’t afraid to share her thoughts in a concise and direct way. “Hmm yes…but of course..” he said to himself, writing frantically onto his page.

“You’re right. I am not as skilled as most fighters…and tend fall back to less..honorable methods of combat.” Talio revealed to the knight he had some level of awareness in his unorthodox techniques in combat. “On the contrary I think fighting has been quite insightful. I may not fight someone exactly like you, but Zweihander is a common weapon. It’d be useful for me to know the advantages and disadvantages associated with that weapon should I ever face it. And also, it’s a good way to sharpen my reflexes and technique.” He quite like having Thea as a sparing partner, as she has shown willingness to take him seriously despite him appearing to be only a lowly merchant.

“Miss Sen Hyzari? The one they refer to as the…sword breaker. Yes. I just might. Though I don’t know how willing she is to train someone like me. I would think someone like her would be more interested in slaying beasts then just training with a crippled Merchant. Then again, I have known her for long. What are you opinions on her? And on the other two teammates you mentioned before for that matter? The one called Hyss and Falco.” He might as well get a bit more information about possible point of learning.

“Heh, they aren’t so common. Most brigands don’t last long with it as it’s dangerous to ally as well as foe. So most with them that don’t know what they are doing tend to be killed rather quickly. As to how the three are and if Sen would train you…”

Pausing to think on that she relaxes her stance and makes a subtle movement of her jaw. “Sen is very rough around the edges and has the social graces of a boar, but is skilled in combat with a multitude of weapons and magics.

And is much more kind that people give her credit for, though I would not say such to her. I think she’s been in the wilds and with sword in hand too much, far too much to ever be comfortable in the city for too long. Be honest with her and see the substance in what she says rather than what is being said. As a veteran some respect is due. She also cares for her son, but do not be so obvious in earning her favor.”

“Hyss.. I have my issues with Hyss, she has more in common with you than I, her methods are very set in subterfuge and range, she may press you hard, as to how her personality is, that is something to learn yourself.”
She says of her ninja like companion. “She, provided you can get her to cooperate, is an effective fighter.”

And that left one, “Falco is the reverse of you in personality, far more jovial, and a bit of a jester. At times I wish to slap the wisdom of the goddess into him, but among you all I trust him the most. Mostly as what is at the center of the clown is good. Or so I have come to believe. He fights with twin daggers the same as you and is underhanded to an extent. Whereas you use what I can only assume is poison, he makes use of magic to disorient and blind.”

"Ah so the beast Slayer is also a mother. Though honestly I'm not surprised by your statement about her. While some people are as you say.."wild" that does not mean that they lack compassion." However, the reverse was also true, as Talio himself have seen supposedly civil people commit great acts of violence. "I will heed your warning and do my best to be respectful around her. That said, her fighting would likely not fit my own capabilities either." Based on what he has heard about her, she's a bit of an animal in combat.

"Regardless, I'll talk to her about it and see if I can make an arrangement with her."

Upon hearing her description about Hyss, he couldn't but feel intrigued by this character. Back at the guild hall she just seemed like a relatively innocent snake person with her questions and demeanor. "She sounds like a difficult and yet effective member to work with. Very well, I shall consult her as well." What secrets does this snake person hold in her arsenal? Why does she look like a ferret at times? So many questions

And finally, it was Falco, the one Cressey had warned him about. Unsurprisingly, it was his winning personality that made him supposedly difficult to work with. Though from little interaction he has had with him, he seemed quite approachable and friendly. "Oh? He's the opposite of me?" He wasn't really sure on how to take that. Talio wouldn't consider himself the most jovial person out there but he likes to think he's at least an easy person to talk to. "He fights like me…Hmm yes I have a feeling a meeting with him would be most insightful. Thank you for the information." The merchant thanked the knight as he pocketed his notebook right after finishing his notes.

"And thank you Thea. You've been a great help to me. I must say, right before I left Valgem, my peers back home would often warn how discriminatory people can be over here. But so far, the people here have been nothing but welcoming and open-minded. Well maybe apart from those…'bandits". Still my point remains, it puts mind slightly at ease to see that everyone here is willing to put their differences aside to work towards a common goal." Such level of professionalism was a welcomed sight for a merchant like him who for most part has seen parties try to one up or screw each other to gain some form of leverage.

“Hmm, your parents are not wrong. I simply have no hatred for the Empire, the Imperials are who we were most likely to face in our family line and did face. You killed plenty of us and we did the same. Though we had reasons it saddens the Goddess should we remember that and that alone. Though I am more forgiving than most. I even suffer a heretic to live…but ah.. I’ll be taking those items later, you can leave them at the desk if you like or I can take them here and now.” Thea said with a straight face.

“Hmm a most admirable outlook in life. It is shame that there still many that do not share your point of view.” He was aware of why there was such strong animosity against his country folk, but at the same time, he was hoping most people were mature and intelligent enough to look past such things. “It seems the Goddess has gifted you with extraordinary patience, Thea.” He had no idea who this heretic was, but considering her upbringing, it could not have been easy to simply allow such people to live. “I know a lot of people who are much too willing to kill others for the most trivial reasons.” But strangely enough Talio too can sometimes fall into the same category. “Don’t worry, I’ll have them personally delivered to you. In anycase, I won’t take up more of your time. I understand how important your training is to you. Wouldn’t want a cocky merchant like me catching up to you.” Talio finished his sentence of with a joke. Though he did hope that someday, he will be able to best in combat be an improved set of tools.

“It is not you I fear to be behind. I must grow for my own sake and for that which was lost. I am still seeking answers, I have much more to do, and I must serve as Sword and Shield.” Thea says in response.

"It was merely a jest, Thea." And now he was starting to see why Cressey had talk about how pious this knight was. "But all I can relate to is the sentiment. Goodbye, I look forward to working with you. With a steadfast knight like by our side, I feel like we can take on anything." If this was the caliber of the companions he will have in his journeys, then perhaps he need not worry so much about learning combat on his own.

“Hah. Do be well Ser Talio.” And with that Thea walked off on her own to finish spending her free time of the day.

Last edited:
Jf5CChj.png

“Wow!”

Lori’s eyes sparkled at what Cressey had just casually dropped out of the blue. They had earned a LOT of money since the Hedwig job, enough that Lori could have lived for a year off of that alone, but to hear that Cressey herself had already used it all up? That was impressive indeed. Princesses definitely had a different way of using money than the rest of them, yup!

“Still, there’s no such thing as a menial task, you know?” Lori replied, swinging around in front of the shorter girl to face her as she walked backwards. “Every task you do makes you more friends, makes you more reliable, and also helps out everyone else! The fact that someone’s going to go out of their way to write a request and send it off to the guild means that it basically matters to them, right? Right!”

Her gaze lingered briefly on the marks that Cressey left in the bark of trees, wondering what the point of doing that was, before continuing to speak, her strides lengthening as the world around them opened up to drowsy skies and open plains.

“Only as far as the border before we handed them off. It’s like, you know, I know basically how to get to every city in Raeligard, but it’s like, a different matter if I also need to remember how to get to every city in Valgem. Oh, but the whole adventuring thing’s easy.” Lori snapped her fingers. “Landferries make it super easy to get around, right? And you don’t need to be able to carry as much. So the money we get for doing deliveries goes down, especially for long-distance ones, and less people are needed to carry the same load. So, there’s less work for the fun part of being a courier, and most of the pros became inner-city couriers.”

Her arms spread out as if embracing the sky, as if extending her wings, and she grinned.

“So give it a good guess, Cressey! Why would I become an adventurer? And why would you become one, when you’re a princess?”

1667717996413.png

interaction: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse
Risax simply nodded at what he was told he was being told off.. but not for failing but for simply not having enough confidence to actually go through with things.. though he really should have he at least found renewed spirit in that fact, and if anything left the meeting far more confident than when he walked in honestly he'd been expecting to be heavily reprimanded for his.. laziness if lack of a better word but he knew what he'd be doing practicing that shield spell he'd gotten.. he'd manage to form it rather.. heatedly.. and well he wanted to replicate it in a more controlled fashion perhaps it could afford him some protection while reloading his somewhat cumbersome weaponry all things considered, hopefully, the next job would be less of a forest environment however he did intend on talking with Vivienne to get a bit more sword training in the future, frankly it had saved his life and he was regretting his choices to use his frankly massive crossbows then again it was one of the few thing that could convincingly down anything larger they encountered or so Risax liked to think.
anyway his next stop was checking the job board himself and thusly running into falco. "morning falco, seeing what new thing we can get up too then?"

Cephilia's gaze lingered upon him as Talio partially disrobed to affix his refurbished arm. She knew what she was asking when she requested he try it on, but she foolishly thought he might retreat elsewhere, for a bit of privacy. His actions earned a glace or two from some of the more prudish adventurers, as if this room had not seen more than its fair share of shirtless barbarians before. To think , some adventurers actually went about their daily duties in such a state. At least Talio's actions had the benefit of brevity and the unspoken excuse of 'the guildmaster made me to do it.'

The scars, however, did not go unnoticed. Manatech research was not for the faint of heart or feeble of mind, and had a tendency to --nay, a reputation for-- attracting those who are prone to obsession, those who do not know their own limits. On one hand, she lamented the fact that this young man had been bitten by veracite's fickle fangs. It was only by the grace of Aurelia she had not suffered the same fate. But, on the other hand, such a brush with death could serve as a guidepost. Had it made him afraid, cautious, more aware of how far he can push? Or did experiencing 'the limit' firsthand entice him to walk that line and live at its edge?

Only time would tell.

I, for one, have seen enough disasters in the mines and workshops reduced to smoldering craters to know 'the limit' is not somewher I wish to be, Cephilia thought. But her mind moved on to greener pastures when he bowed to her and spoke of payment.

"It was I who volunteered my services. How could I possibly ask payment," she said with a proud flick of her long blonde locks. "Furthermore, if I expected payment, I would have made that clear upfront, or do you think me an extortionist?" she mused, with a small reassuring smile. On one hand, she appreciated his efforts to make this an equivalent exchange and avoid owing her anything. It demonstrated integrity, something not always found amongst the mercantile classes. However...

She stood and faced him, with her hands clasped behind her back. "All I ask in return, Talio, is that you put it to good use. Serve the people. Take on quests. Build bonds with your allies and the people of the land." She nodded. "That is why such tools exist, young man, to better who we are... and you are a Kriegslowen now."

Interaction(s): TreasureSniper TreasureSniper (Talio)

Sensing the, erm, 'presence' of something large approaching, Falco half-turned to see Risax had arrived behind him. The small crowd around the job board parted to make way for the arachnid.

"Morning, Falco. Seeing what new things we can get up to then?" the spider asked.

Falco did not answer immediately, choosing instead to weigh his options. He had been eyeing a couple of different jobs, mostly courier work. Take a package here... move a box there... etc, etc. He found these jobs to be good for some easy money. If he moved fast enough, he could pack multiples of them into a single day, to maximize profits. And his knowledge of the city's layout allowed him to complete these relatively quickly.

However, he was E-Rank now. Not only were there less of the easy 'fetch quests' at this rank, but the packages were bigger or stranger or more precious. Instead of 'take this envelope to the Marble District' some of them were 'haul this crate'... which is why Risax caught his attention. The spider boy certainly had the advantage of size. And, if training with Viv had taught him anything, it was that centaur --be they equine or arachnid in nature-- tended to be able to carry heavy loads.

Falco shook his head. Risax ain't a pack mule, man, he thought as he blindly snatched an E-Rank quest from the board and turned to face his pal. "They want us to work in pairs, so I guess It's me and you, buddy. The ladies will just have to find a way to manage without us for a bit," he mused before handing the paper to Risax. "Let's roll the dice. First E-quest, baby! What's it say!? Damsel in distress? Dragonslaying? A brothel in need of some 'plumbing work?'" he asked, eagerly rubbing his mits together. He hadn't even looked at the quest, but surely it would be epic. They were E-Ranks now. E-Rank!

To be honest, he knew better. But a little enthusiasm is never a bad thing, right?

Interaction(s): Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax)

Last edited:
lolispearmen.jpg
Current Location: Forest

"First of all: I am not a princess, dwarven or otherwise!" Cressey growls, stamping her foot impetuously in irritation.
"And second of all: You shouldn't pollute your head with any more drivel that comes from that boy's mouth!"
With a sharp breathe, she rescinds her momentary anger, replaced with a stroke of guilt that had her shying away from the birdkin's expectant gaze.
How could she manage to look and act so hopeful for tomorrow, when her very way of life was being washed away by the unyielding waves of progress?
Cressey couldn't fathom such a future, not for her old family, nor for her new.
There would always be a need for a spear to guide the frontlines.
"But uhm...that sounds like a bit of a sensitive subject. My condolences that you find yourself forced into this work," Cressey coughed, before continuing on.

She followed behind the birdkin, trying to keep up in between glances at the map in her hands, and awkward silence filling in the air, as Cressey struggled to formulate an answer to Lori's question; why was she doing all of this?
She'd reflected often on the thought, in her dreams, during training, when she was struggling through the most menial, arduous, degrading of chores.
And now, in the void, she struggled to voice an answer.
"I...lost something some time ago..."
The words tumbled out of her unnaturally, from her brain, and out disparately through her mouth, her eyes looking out longingly into the distance, to the north.
To home.
"...And now the guild is the only place for me,"
Another heavy sigh, bad memories welling up from the dark recesses of her mind.
She pushed them back down, forcing a small smile up at her companion.

"I suppose it's not quite so different from what happened to your courier business...Guess we are birds of a feather after all?"
She chuckled a bit at her own wordplay, before reflecting upon the birdkin's unexpected words of wisdom, "Although, I admit I never really thought of others while filling out these tasks. I only wished to better myself. Perhaps I'll find some motivation if I keep such thoughts in mind."

"Ah, and as for the tree, in case you were wondering..." Cressey explained, holding the map up so that both her and Lori could get a clear view while she pointed out the contents.
"We're supposed to divert from the trail from here, and go into the deeper woods. I've been told that marking trees like that can help you keep your bearings."
After taking one more glance at the map, she marks another nearby tree with her lance, this time however, she keeps it out, and at the ready, her brow furrowed in concentration.
"...I was also warned that something has apparently had the local wildlife in a bit of foul mood as of late. Seems our encounter with the Holzeckts wasn't an isolated experience..."
As she marches ahead, stepping into thick, tall grass that grew past her waist, she cautions, "So keep your eyes peeled! Especially for any more giant holes in the ground!!"

Interacting:
ERode ERode (Lori)

Jf5CChj.png

"Boooo!"

Lori pouted at Cressey's obvious effort to back out without taking a guess. Whatever a sensitive topic was supposed to be, this certainly wasn't one of them for the birdkin beastfolk herself. Still, it was a bit of a shame that Cressey wasn't actually a princess. Regardless of what the spearwoman said, she still had the vibe of someone who had a childhood on the up-and-up, after all, at least relative to Lori's own life.

"I'm sure there's plenty of other places you could be though?" Her hands turned to face the air, going up and down as if mimicking a scale. "The world's a big place for one person, and you've a long life ahead too. Even if you want to remain in the Guild, you don't need to be right in this guild. And even if you do remain in the Guild, it doesn't mean you can't find what you lost one day, right? Life's an up-and-down sorta thing, so as long as you keep your chin up and your feet going forward, it'll be happy days ahead!"

The sky was big, after all. The sun was bright. Rivers kept flowing, and trees always ended up green eventually. Just by bending down or jumping up, the world could show something new, and just by turn down another path, one's life could go right off its tracks to somewhere else. And on the topic of that...

"Oh, I see it!"

While Cressey was worrying about bug holes and wading through the tall grass, Lori spotted a small hut in the distance, with walls made of clay and roofing made from thatched grass. There was a separate shed that looked to be for storing the tools of a hunter's trade, as well as various racks for stretching out hides or smoking and drying meat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back