• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales of Raeligard

Razul.png

Scene 7: Exposed...?
Synopsis:
Razul Dazzle's status as a hero is at risk! He does not know how it has come to this, but he cannot take a risk at the moment. Will our hero be able to make it through this mission while preserving his life?
Additional Cast: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Falco) Topless Topless (Sakura) King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey) RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea)

9c803423466ea31173c08c539110780e.jpg
"I'll have you know, this blade was forged by my father, a seasoned warrior who took to personally training me." This answer was to the small Hyss, ✨Razul Dazzle✨'s voice notably became more accommodating for the 'child,' taking on a softer cadence. "It's meant for slaying." He made a note to offer her some taffy later, whenever their mission was complete.

At Sakura's initial question, ✨Razul Dazzle✨ perked up from his bowing pose. "Well... as attractive as a beastfolk can be! I'm unsure of your race's beauty standards, but I have no doubt you surpass them." He whipped his hair up, getting ready to set off on their voyage. What he didn't expect, though, was her next question, which almost made ✨Razul Dazzle✨ spit out the puff of air he took in. He held his hand towards her in a 'stop' motion. "Please, my lady, I prefer saying that everyone is unique in their own right! Maybe you—"

Then struck Falco. And strike at full force, he did.

He took Razul by complete surprise; his arrogant posture had vanished, and the sparkle in his eyes dissipate from the shock. "I-I don't decide on what actions they take..." The words came at an unusually quiet mutter. Wide-eyed, trying to comprehend each of his words, Razul could only hold his hands out as though trying to calm a crazed loon.

"...so I don't wanna hear no noise from a useless boy pretending to be one."

Out of everything Falco said, this made Razul freeze in place. Paling, his hand immediately went over his breast as he took a step back. H-How did he–?! No words could escape Razul's mouth; only faint choking. Even after Falco finished his spew against the hero, he couldn't move an inch. The last part of that sentence continued ringing in Razul's head.

Finally, he glanced around at his peers. Somehow—and thankfully—it seemed that nobody else caught that...

Razul did, however, notice that Falco motioned for everyone who joined his merry team to tag along—including Razul, though the thief's look was less than stellar. So this was how it was going to be, then...? Falco somehow knew already, and now he was holding it over Razul's head and tossing orders at him with the 'implied' threat of revealing it... Razul cursed himself, staring down at his feet. He'd interjected with full anticipation that he'd have control over the situation, but the power dynamic changed in an instant. Fine. I'll play along for now.

"Yes... Let us do that, then." Razul twirled as he rose, and after that sole rotation, the dumbfounded expression vanished. ✨Razul Dazzle✨ returned to normal, looking more than eager to get started. "Well? The rats aren't waiting for themselves! Let us depart, o'allies of mine!" Razul dashed ahead of the party, taking the front lead. He only paused at the voice of a familiar woman, turning to give his reply.

"Good hunting to you, too! And please don't fret about me, the last thing I'd want is your worry-ridden face," he responded to Thea, mistaking her remark as being directed to him instead of Falco.

But before their venture could truly begin, the blonde child from early piped up. Apparently she was part of their little squadron, and ✨Razul Dazzle✨ hadn't noticed up until now. Trying not to let the surprise show too much on his face, he doubled away from the spear after it tapped his headpiece. She had quite the fiesty tone for someone her stature; or was it to mask her fear? Best reassure her, either way. "I've no intent of letting chaos tear this team apart, fret not!" He took to walking backwards each time he spoke. And at Cressey's disdain at the sewer stench, he stretched his cape at the side, revealing the shine of the inside at the same time. "If you wish, I can take you into my cape. Ade—Aria—um, the brown-haired lady who was with me earlier stuffed the cape with floral scents."

If anything had changed from earlier, it was that Razul sometimes glared at Falco for longer periods of time—more out of curiosity and bewilderment than the previous spite.

Sakuranbo Suzui
The mission hasn't started and already tensions have begun high in no thanks to Falco giving a breaking speech to Razul and his pretentiousness, but then it had settled down once the focus is back on the mission. One more person had decided to join the team, which is great. Sakura took a good look at her and thought she might not be best suited for hunting, but she decided to hold that thought for now. Sakura noticed that Razul went ahead. "Hey! We should stick together on this one. Also, let me be the one to lead. I have a far better sense of detection and I know very well what rat smelled like...at least in the forest of where I was raised. But a rat is still a rat regardless." Sakura said before she walked passed Razul and up to the door, kicking it open.

She turned to her teammates and said "Be on your guard. There's no telling what else is down here besides our targets. There might be a possibility of a "bigger" rat, but then who knows?"

AnonyMouse AnonyMouse AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa King Crimson King Crimson

Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hysface-png.936851

Currently: Embarking on first mission
Thinking: "Stupid webbing!.. Stupid idea!.. Shoulda just stuck to my instincts!.. This is so sticky!.."

Interacting: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa
Mentions:
AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Falco

Overhearing Falco announce his hormonal lusts only made Hyss snicker with a huff. She could hardly disparage him for bodily responses. However, she did figure he could learn a bit more tact. After all... people like her learned to control such urges or desires. Not announce them to a room of near-strangers. It seemed others had a similar impression, and seemed to reprimand him for such. Even so, she was somewhat impressed with the boy, for being so confident in his honesty. That was more than some could manage in this group.. Herself included.

Regardless, she didn't see a need to interject herself in on that particular topic, and didn't comment.

"No it's Hysydice.. Hmp.." She blinked. "Nets.. Oh, hm, okay.." she mumbled, with some trepidation. Weren't they on the 'kill team'? "Oh, hm.. ah-ah, okay, thanks..." It seemed her teammate was a bit more considerate than she thought, surprisingly. She gave off the air of a hard-ass knight, not one quite so thoughtful. "So this is our squad? You, me, and the Caskarieth," Hyss commented, glancing at the knife-ear.

That was about when she heard Razul's comment about his trink--er sword, turning his way. "Uhhh, you may have been lied to. But, erm, if you say so."

Thea had already gone ahead. Good. It was a waste of time to linger around here any longer. Bantering with the idi -er- others. "Well, good luck, um, slaying, then," Hyss said to Razul, silver eyes flicking once more to his sword, giving it a glance of minor doubt. With that, she followed after her companions, after having uh acquired silk netting. Or silk to make a net. Or silk to simply entrap. Whatever.

Following after Thea, she fumbled around with the silk. A look of concern creasing her masked features. How on earth was she supposed to use this? It was SO sticky! It was liable to simply ensnare her rather than any vermin. Ugh! Hyss was getting a bit annoyed with this. Thinking this was a bit silly! They could just kill rats, what was the purpose of this in the first place? When she first suggested traps, she meant like kill traps. Like drowning traps, or cleaving traps. That like. Not webbing out of some Beastfolk's -...! She wanted to throw the netting down, but found she couldn't, with it already stickied to her arms. "Grreh," the snake girl hissed as she followed behind Thea. She knew she shoulda just followed her instincts and focused on killing!​

Last edited:

Falco's immediate response to having the spear thrust in his face was a small, but amiable, chuckle... with perhaps a tiny bit of nervousness. Just a tiny bit.

"So... Cressey, was it... ya like my hair, eh?" he said, running a hand through his flowing snow-white locks. "Was gonna cut it later, but if it pleases you, Your Majesty, who am I to change?"

Fortunately, the tense moment quickly passed, through no efforts of his own. Cressey retracted her weapon and turned toward the task at hand, but not before the fox beastfolk raced by, taking the lead, an arrangement Falco had no issues with. Despite what others might think, he had allied himself with her for her skills and proficiency as a huntress, not her 'attractiveness.' If he truly were so simple-minded, he would have invited that gorgeous elf, not this spear-wielding pint-sized ball of angst.

Fortunately, Cressey was a 'go-getter,' just as he had said. He'd get in a word with the elf later, once they returned as big damn heroes. Until then, the only tails and pointy ears he was interested in were those of the rats. Work now, play later.

Still, he couldn't help but sense a change in Razul. The sharp glances the boy cast his way did not go unnoticed. Yeah... definitely struck a nerve with this one, Falco thought, keeping a close eye on him, lest Razul's confusion blossom into resentment and betrayal. He was still keeping up the same act, but it was clear Falco had thrown him off his game. Just how far off remained to be seen.

The fox, despite her peculiarities, appeared to be single-mindedly focused on the hunt. Or maybe she was hankering for some rat stew. In any case, Falco decided to follow her lead and try to give the illusion of professionalism. He stuck to the center of the tunnel as he followed her, despite the thin stream of fast-flowing, debris-littered, runoff sloshing against his well-worn boots. He wielded his stick in one hand and kept his other hand empty, lest he lose his balance and need to catch himself. His eyes had even begun to acclimate to the dim glow of the magitech lanterns. Not only could he see Sakura clearly, as she moved several feet ahead of them, he could also vaguely perceive shapes in the darkness beyond her and he didn't wish to lose that by adding a torch to the equation.

Unfortunately, behind him, he overheard Razul offering Cressey shelter within his cape and, with a roll of his eyes, Falco half-turned toward them as he walked through the slimy tunnels. He probably shouldn't say anything. Cressey was more than capable of giving the boy a proper tounge-lashing herself. But... well, Falco just couldn't help himself.

"Ay, Sparkles, how 'bout ya not do that, 'kay? If you two start actin' like cuddle buddies, it'll slow us down and we got a lotta ground to cover," Falco said, finally breaking his much-needed silence.

Well-done! He sounded reasonable and somewhat professional. He should've stopped there. Unfortunately, this is Falco. Knowing when to stop talking is not his strong suit...

"Just give the pint-sized princess another piece of candy if she gets ornery," he added, as a shit-eating grin began to encompass his face. He just couldn't help himself. "Better do it now, 'cuz I plan to go deep and I bet she's gonna lose her appetite --and her lunch-- once we get to the really fun parts," he added, his gaze focusing on the girl. "I been meanin' to ask... where you from, kiddo? I mean, we all know Patchy the Elf's hot shit -- ain't gotta count the rings on her family tree to see that-- but you... you's a fancy one, too. I'd bet money on it, if I had any," he said, wagging a finger at her. "Actually, I'd bet it anyway, 'cuz that's how I do, Sweetroll."

Unbeknownst to him, something small and black tumbled out of one of the many drainage holes in the wall, squeaking and chittering as it scurried a few meters ahead of their vulpine guide, before darting into another hole. It was probably not the first, nor the last, such creature they would encounter down here...

Interaction(s): King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey) / AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa (Razul / Topless Topless (Sakura)
Mentions: anyone else in the tunnels

Last edited:
Thea Schuerer

As their party went deep into the sewers, Thea was careful to stick in one direction, slicing up any rats she came across, turning her attention back to Lucia and Hyss as she held up a hand to stop. Letting out an exhale, she turns to the two behind her, the Noble was at least making herself useful and had killed a few of the vermin as Thea reaches out with her armored right hand.

"This is why I didn't want to do a trapping plan. Not all of us are suited to it. I had assumed with as...sneaky as you looked that you would have been versed in this at least. That was an error all of my own. You both are close range fighters, I'll handle the webbing, you may go ahead of me, though I'll likely burn this the first chance I get." With that she reaches out an armored hand and does something a little curious with her other hand, running it through some of the moss and mold on the old walls, then uses that hand to smear it all over the webbing, covering it with grime so it would not stick where it did on the edges and the finer silk material, while dirty was now in a much more manageable fashion. Taking her free hand, she rested her sword back upon her back and motioned them to move just ahead of her a little bit.

"Remember, we take every right turn, stay within my light and do not try to storm ahead, if we find a nest, I'll ignite the silk with my lamp and set the whole thing ablaze, same if we find a notable tunnel. If we find something worse, clear to the sides and duck low, I'll swing my Zwiehander at once to cut down what stands before us, or at least to a threat, if we find any people down here, we might should talk to them... Yeah, that would be the honorable thing to do. " With that she gathers her things with her lantern lighting the way forward, but pauses just in case if this would end up like before.

"I trust the both of you are fine with this?"

Interactions: EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss)

Lucia Corinna Edelgarde

"Hoh? I would not be opposed. Though it is nice to find someone like-minded in being rid of this disgusting place," Lucia commented regarding the knights wish to converse and get a move on. As they proceeded, her eyes locked with the snake lady's. "Yes, the Caskarieth with no stated name."

It was somewhat rude, referring to her as if she weren't there. The noble wasn't a stickler for much of the etiquette instilled in her, but then there were basic manners such as utilizing one's name. Exhaling with a slight frown, Lucia turned her gaze forward as they continued, until hearing the noises of frustration to her side. She observed the spectacle of Hyss struggle with the netting, eliciting a smirk from the Caskarieth. However, the expression of amusement was short-lived as the occasional squeak and prattling from the rodents earned her attention. A few stomps paired with a face of disgust, and Lucia had officially helped in this preposterous quest.

Pausing as the knight assisted Hyss, Lucia listened before scoffing with a roll of her eyes and proceeding forward within Thea's light. "I have no qualms with the plan but... Something worse? Lady Thea, it is clear that the worst threat in these sewers is that of falling in the putrid water."

Again with the caution. If they were all so worried about these vermin, Lucia would begin to wonder if she was really of the "privileged" here.

Interactions: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko

Cressey
Current Location: Sewers

"Yes, I'm sure your hair earns the envy of every grandmother in Tylsen," Cressey scoffed, trying her best to ignore the silver-haired boy's patronizing tone.
He certainly had a bad habit of running his mouth far more than necessary, a fact Cressey had quickly learned, but at the very least, it seemed that he at least had enough wits about him, that her earlier stunt had done something to dull his silver tongue for a time.
The other boy however...
...Was not so understanding.

Mere seconds of sweet, precious silence, naught but the dripping of water and the shuffling of footsteps on cobblestone as they trekked through the tunnels, and Razul came, once more galavanting past Cressey with great, long strides that blew past her comparatively small steps.
Goddess knows where, in this blasted cavern, he found a source of light to illuminate his cloak, assaulting Cressey's eyes once more with a sudden barrage of blinding rays, as he offered it to her as shelter.
Clearly, her earlier warning, like her spear, clearly did not pierce through the boy's thick skull.
"No thank you," Cressey bluntly replied, not even turning her head to acknowledge the boy's increasingly exhausting theatrics before marching right past him.
She made sure to redouble her pace, once she'd evaded his shiny, vaguely floral-scented clutches, distancing herself from him much like she would a venomous serpent with it's hood spread.
...Or a vector for some horrible, brain-rotting disease.
"I have my own, and I am quite capable of taking care of myself!" she stated, pushing her scarf up once more, flushing out the septic smell of sewage that grew thicker in the air with each step forward they took.
It was unfortunately then, that Falco had decided to join in, at first, rather sensible, seemingly on her behalf.
She almost felt relieved that he was finally showing some degree of respect.
But then, he kept talking.
"P-Princess!?" Cressey gawked, stopping dead in her tracks.
It was bad enough that he once more talked down to her like she was some clueless, lost child, but to call her a princess, of all things!?
Her blood boiled at the word, the heat spreading quickly through her cheeks, her forehead, even out of her ears, pouring out in tufts of hot, tempered steam.
"I-I--! Why--! Y-You--!" she stammered, her mind too clouded to articulate her rage into words. She had to stamp her feet down to keep herself from rushing over and putting her glove right through that smarmy, cocksure grin of his.
It only got worse when Falco began pestering her for her origin, a flash of panic setting in amongst her anger; she thought she'd done a decent enough job blending in so far, yet he was able to read her so easily.
"You--shut up!" she snapped, pointing a finger at him accusingly,
"That's none of your business, you damned, dirty--!"
Before she could continue her tirade, the faintest, sound of tiny claws scrapping on cobblestone caught her ear, and out of the corner of her eye, she saw a small, furry shadow creeping along the wall, illuminated by the dim glow of a lantern.
"...Rat?"
Her thoughts trailed off, her attention drifting from Falco to focusing on the faint shapes she could scarcely see in the darkness, then for a brief moment, she saw a small, bald tail round the nearby corner, disappearing further into the tunnel.
"A Rat!" she exclaimed, pointing out the now-vacant space to her comrades, her earlier fury momentarily forgotten, now replaced with the prospect of fulfilling her task, and leaving these infernal sewers.
Not wanting to waste another moment, Cressey launched herself down the hallway, nearly bowling Falco over as she charged past him, following the vermin in hot pursuit.

Interacting:
AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Falco)
AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa (Razul)
Topless Topless (Sakura)

Risax
interaction: AI10100 AI10100 Kenshin772 Kenshin772
Risax sighed with disappointment as despite them all having some kind of a plan people still continued to argue, it felt like haggling with stingy buyers again except instead of people haggling for a cheaper price they where just aruging over random crap... especially the oddly flashy noble and the loud mouth that was supposed to be the gu helping them his name was Falco right? Not that it mattered much Risax’s enthusiasm starting to waver somewhat. He’d turn to Thal and Gaius, with a grin. “Yes suppose it is us three now let’s see if we can manage to get all these rats cleared before the others get started honestly they’ve probably spooked all the rats with the commotion they’re making“ Risax said with a chuckle. “Anyway after you Gaius your gonna have the easier time with navigating then us best you be up front“ he’d add hoping to get thier first somewhat disappointing adventure started.

Gaius Karlings Kampfer

The large Ovil-ken spoke up volunteering to join Gaius's team, "Alright good to have you Mr Thalgrukh." Behind him saying that Gaius should take the lead since he's going to have the easiest time moving around out of the three of them. "Indeed" Gaius responded turning to Vivienne and taking the Stargazer Stone for his team. With a brief thank you to the Centauress Gaius moved to the door that the other teams had gone through and he began to move forward. Moving on the tailwinds of Thea's group Gaius followed for a few minutes before he found a side tunnel for his team head down.

AnonyMouse AnonyMouse , Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 , AI10100 AI10100 .

Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hysface-png.936851

Thinking: "Ewww.. Don't fall in, don't fall in.."

Interacting: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen
Mentions:

"It's not that; this is just too damn sticky!" Hyss complained. "You also have the wrong notion about me, I do not like fighting at the frontlines. I leave that up to knight-types like you." She reached over, saying, "But here," as she handed over the netting.

"Eh? Sure," she replied to Thea, before turning to the other female. "Apologies. I did not mean to be rude. Ms. Lucia Edelgard."

With the mask purposefully fixed to her face to better mask her sense of smell, Hyss wasn't at her A-game; hampering one of her senses. However, even the snake had enough instinct to sense the scurrying of nearby vermin. "Rats!" She hissed, quickly swiveling in their direction, hand responding quickly as it pulled her weapon from her pack. A sharpened edge glinting in the torch light, barely hinting at the new weapon she had. But Lucia had crushed the rats. Well not all of them.

"There they go! Follow them and you can put your plan into action, Ms. Thea." Hyss reasoned, quickly falling in step behind the fleeing rats. Only to hear Lucia's comment about the nearby dirtwater. Causing her to wrinkle her nose and pale at the thought. Hyss had been trying her best to ignore that. "Don't draw attention to that! We got work to do. Follow them!"

Razul.png

Scene 8: Chase!
Synopsis:
Razul Dazzle deals with the unwillingness of the party to follow any of his requests. However, when Cressey spots something in the distance, letting ambition take reign of her action, the hero must spring into action to prevent serious incident.
Additional Cast: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Falco) Topless Topless (Sakura) King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey)

9c803423466ea31173c08c539110780e.jpg
A slight frown took to Razul after Cressey's immediate refusal. But thinking back to her attitude at the guild hall (not to mention what she did to the taffy candy; what a ferocious child!)... perhaps she was at the age where she gets embarrassed at how she's treated? But what really got him going was Falco's need to interject. And he had the audacity to keep going on and on, and Razul could only bite his lip as they brushed ahead. "Why, you..." If there wasn't the looming threat of 'exposure' around them, Razul would have torn the thief a new one. But, first and foremost, that would have went against Cressey's ultimatum.

Then Sakura hopped on ahead, startling Razul more so with the fact that someone did go ahead of him. "Woah, woah, woah!" he called out once she spoke her piece. He darted over to her side, slightly stepping ahead. "And it's because of that, that you are invaluable to this team, so you should stick behind me in case something lunges out!"

Before much else could be said about that, however, the shortest of the crew shot forward, exclaiming the sighting of a rat. Razul almost tripped in his own shock. "Cressey!" he shouted after her. Even the dearest hero knew how bad of an idea it was to separate from the party, especially in a place like the labyrinthine sewers. But as Cressey went further ahead, Razul clicked his tongue. "Keep an eye out; wherever you see an opening that a rat can squeeze out of," he said, clicking the sword handle a little out of its sheathe.

His face became notably more serious in the passing moments, and then he was moving after Cressey. He kept an even pace to keep the rest of the party in view while keeping decent distance from the runaway. At any moment, a rat could have struck from anywhere. Razul brushed his headpiece and gold-colored ornaments in the brief passing; if anything hopped out, he would be the first one attacked.

Sakuranbo Suzui
Sakura had heard it. The sound of a single vermin doing business. Eventually, she saw the rat and it went off to another hole. Cressey was giving chase and right before she could zoom past Sakura, the beastkin quickly halts her just as the rat went through. "Be quiet. Go after it and you'll have a hard time catching it. We need to stay silent and careful when it comes to hunts. Got that?" Sakura told her before looking back at the path and move forward. After a few minutes of walking, Sakura stopped as she saw a bunch of eating what appeared to be some leftovers. "Do you see that? That's about three rats I've counted. They're all perfectly aligned, which means that I can take them all out with one shot. Observe." Sakura whispered so as to not scare away the rats.

Sakura has her bow on the ready. She pulled out an arrow from her quiver and took aim. She held her breath and pulled the arrow against the string at a considerable length. She made sure that her posture is still, sudden movements even a muscle twitch could mess it up. When it came that one of them had taken notice, Sakura let's go of the arrow and it impaled all of the rats, killing them. "That's about three of them, but I'm sure there are a lot more than that." She said before walking over to her arrow and picked it up. She pulls off the dead rats and turns to Razul. "Keep them." She told before tossing the dead rats towards him.

Thalgrukh
Interacting with: Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax) Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius)
Mentions:

"No need for the Mister. Just Thal is fine." He reassured Gaius. Thal couldn't help but chuckle back at Risax's statement. "Maybe. A rat would definitely want to get away from them as soon as possible." Though, it would definitely be nice if they could just wipe the sewers of the rats between all three of them. It would be a little unfortunate if one team had an encounter with a horde of rats while others only had a few. He gave a small bow of his head to Vivienne before following Gaius down into the sewers. They were the last group to go down but Gaius managed to find a branching path for them to take.

Thal was worried about the rats they would encounter. Yes, they were easy to hunt down but he wasn't exactly equipped for hunting down rats. Risax had a crossbow but he was rather big. He wasn't sure what Gaius was specializing at but it probably wasn't hunting either. Good thing they were focusing on trapping them then.

"How many?" a whispered voice asked.

"Hard to say, but they've split into three groups," another gruffly replied. "Seems like they're combing the tunnels."

"Damn... We can't afford to relocate. Not now, when we're nearly set up." A sigh. After a long pause: "Any chance it's just some kids exploring the tunnels?"

A groan. "Unlikely. A few sound older. They'd have to be really fucking dumb to come this far down."

"Adventurers?"

A gruff laugh. "Unlikely. Those guild losers wouldn't waste their time on this place."

"But you said they come down once a year to comb for rats."

"Not outta charity. Only because the Merchant's Guild pays 'em an arm a leg and a firstborn," one sneered. "The damned nobles won't pony up for that more than once a year. We'll be long gone before the next sweep. These annoying little shits aren't Kreigslowen. They don't move like 'em, don't think like 'em, don't talk like 'em."

"Then who are they? Should we be concerned?"

"Fuck if I know? Maybe some perverts with a fecal fascination."

"By the goddess, is that a thing? What is this world coming to..."

"Everything's a thing."

"Maybe I can hide the entrances or conceal-"

"Stop beatin' 'round the bush. We need 'em gone. Period. If you ain't got the stomach for this, I'll deal with 'em myself," the gruff one replied. And then, in a low grumble: "you feckin' mages, always 'fraid to get yer hands dirty..."

"I wasn't hired to get 'dirty.' That's what you people are here for. Besides, we don't need unnecesary attention," the other replied, in a sharp hissing whisper. "Missing people draw attention, no matter how good you think you are at getting away with... whatever dastardly deeds you do."

"'Allegedly' do." His dry chuckle sounded like coals dragged across cold iron.

"Send the dogs to chase them off, so I can continue our work in peace. They've kept the rats away. They'll work on intruders, too."

"Heh. I'd rather just kill 'em, but if you say so." The sound of steel sliding into a sheath and buckles being fastened. The jangling of dog collars. Panting animals. No footsteps. "Stay here and play with your stones, wizard. We'll take care of it."

"Tactfully."

"Yes, of course. I am a paragon of tact and civility."

Cephilia reclined in one of the comfier chairs dotting the guild's greathall. Her dragonbone tiara rested on her chest, where her bejeweled fingers were laced around a steaming mug of black coffee. Her long legs were crossed and her feet propped up on the large chest containing the arcanizers she was holding hostage. A small, serene smile was plastered on her face.

She had suffered a brief, but acute, episode of guilt after the newbies departed... but it didn't last. She felt quite sure of her decision now that the hall was quiet. The veterans had all skipped town to avoid being tied down by the newcomers. And, thanks to her 'clever' little ploy, the newbies were now away as well. She could not remember the last time the hall had been this peaceful.

Over an hour had passed. Maybe two. The day stretched into afternoon, yet here she was, nursing a cup of black gold, completely at leisure, while her F Rank minions were probably knee-deep in sludge and rodent guts.

And there it was again. The guilt. That damned guily feeling.

With a small sigh, she sat up straight. Curse this conscience of mine, she thought. Can't I play the villain for a moment? Just this once. She choked down a mouthful of coffee, savoring the burn as if it were her pennance, before setting the cup aside. I don't owe them anything, she thought, as her icy blue gaze fell upon the wooden treasure chest. If anything, they owe me. They should work for these arcanizers! They should work themselves to the bone. It's only fair.

"E-excuse me? M-m-miss Valdergeuse," a small voice trilled.

Before her stood a feline beastfolk, one of the guild's archivists. Despite being a member of the staff for many years, her quiet, withdrawn demeanor made her something of a stranger to everyone. A phantom, haunting the archives' bookcases and vaults. Many adventurers didn't even know her name. To them, she was simply, 'that cat girl in the library. The shy one, with the glasses. Have you seen her?'

Despite her quirks, Cephilia knew this girl was easily one of their best archivists, a literary savant and bibliophile, the right person to call when you need an obscure text or report dug up from the library's dustiest depths.

"Yes, Rena? Did you find it?" Cephilia said, her eyes meeting the girl's.

Rena visibly flinched, as if the thought of making eye contact with another being might cause her to vanish in a puff of smoke. She squirmed uneasily. Small mewling sounds slipped from her lips. This was either an attempt at speech or an incantation for an invisiblity spell. Probably a little of both.

"Gone," she said at last, as if a full explanation was beyond her capabilities, so this single word would have to suffice.

Cephilia's eyes narrowed on her. I don't have enough coffee for this, she thought, mustering her patience. "Define 'gone,' please? Is it on loan?"

Rena slowly shook her head. "Not loaned out. No, ma'am -- no record of that. Only... missing. T-t-taken... maybe?"

Definitely need more coffee, Cephilia thought as she took a long sip, despite knowing how much her silence tortured the poor girl. "And why, dear girl, would anyone want to take an outdated, incomplete, map of the sewers?"

The cat shrugged.

Team Thea & Team Gaius
RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss)
Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius) / Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax) / AI10100 AI10100 (Thal)

Thea's party slowly, meticulously, made their way deeper into the sewers, moving carefully, so as not to become lost or turned around in the subterranean labyrinth and ensure each tunnel was surveyed. Their teamwork improved as the minutes dragged on into hours and many rats fell to their combined efforts, living up to their role as the main 'kill team.'

Likewise, Gaius's party's efforts to cut off the rats' retreat were bearing fruit, ensuring any vermin that got past the lady knight, snake-like beastfolk, and elf would not find a way to the surface. The arachne, ovil-kin, and human noble did a fine job of plugging passages to the surface, as well as those leading down, by stuffing them with Risax's webbing and silk and, when necessary, picking off any vermin that became entangled within.

But, were they truly accomplishing anything? Perhaps Lady Valdergeuse was simply wasting their time or having a laugh at their expense. What's a little hazing, after all? The rats they encountered weren't getting any larger, nor were they increasing in frequency or savagery. Over an hour of this and they still hadn't found any nests or discernible evidence of why sightings of these vermin were increasing topside. This was all becoming rather tedious. Maybe they should turn back?

After a few minutes of no encounters, Thea's party began to hear the sounds of scurrying paws. Here we go again. More rats were approaching, but from where? They were all quite accustomed to this by now and readied themselves for what comes next. Wait for it... spot it... kill it. They had their technique down to a science and knew exactly what to do.

But things were different this time...

A single rat scurried up and out of one of the overflow holes leading to the lower levels, as they had done dozens of times before. These holes were barely large enough for an adult human to crawl down, with some effort, but the rats used them as easy passage between the upper and lower levels. However, this rat was soon followed by more... and more... and more until, at last, something much more ferocious emerged: a large black hound wriggled free of the hole, its bulk barely able to fit inside the relatively small pipe. A similar event happened all around them, resulting in a total of six such canines surrounding the adventurers.

Three of the dogs took off at a rapid pace; they fled down an adjacent tunnel, in the direction of Gaius, Risax, and Thal's group, barking, snarling, and frothing at the mouth as their thick forms lumbered away into the darkness, their heavy paws splashing in the water. Despite their savagery and lack of collars or any visible signs of domestication or ownership, all six beasts seemed orderly, moving in synch with one another, as if trained to hunt or herd prey. The three who remained formed a wall, blocking Thea, Hyss, and Lucia from progressing any further without violence, and barked angrily as if demanding they turn back.

Team Falco
AnonyMouse (Falco) / AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa (Razul) / King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey) / Topless Topless (Sakura)

The largest, but easily the most dysfunctional, of the three hunting parties chose to charge ahead of the others, with the intent of finding the source of this disturbance... or at least finding something cool they could brag about when this whole miserable business is complete. This plan quickly backfired. The change in smell was the first sign that they had somehow arrived in the sewers' lower tier. While the main level had a stuffy, cave-like aroma of musky dankness and ancient stone, ocassionally laced with rotting, soggy vegetation, this level smelled... well, to be blunt, it smelled like shit. It assaulted the senses.

There was, blessedly, less running water here, which meant less chance of getting splashed by... things better left unmentioned. But, the lack of flow meant various detritus and eviscera littered the tunnel floors. Discarded clumps of paper, trash, and debris were suspended in puddles of murky brown slurry. And the rats seemed less numerous here. Odd, considering Viv had said they made their nests here, in the lower tunnels.

The group fell silent, partly because it was the best way to avoid getting splashed. The pipes along the walls would gurgle when a flush was approaching, granting a few seconds to get out of the way before the contents of someone's sink or toilet trickled out. Also, keeping their mouths shut was vital to keeping their lunch down. This place had a foulness one could nearly taste.

I don't need a shower after this, Falco thought as they trudged onward. I need to be set on fire, for like a day or two or three, then boiled alive in a vat of acid and holy water. He wasn't sure how long they had been down here. Long enough to want no more of it. If I don't see a fucking nest or something in the next ten seconds, I'm gonna suggest we turn back, he thought. Actually, he had thought this many times, but didn't want to be outdone by Razul, so he said nothing. If he spoke of turning back before Razul or Cressey, they would never let him live it down.

And then, like a light at the end of the tunnel, he saw it: a break in the wall ahead. A cavern? A crevasse? It was still quite far away, but looked different from the usual branches in the tunnel. Rougher, more natural. This must be one of the caves Viv mentioned! Finally, they found something that wasn't more shit, more rats, or more of the same damned tunnels repeating ad nauseum. Falco picked up his pace, but...

It was gone. Vanished.

He stopped. his shoudlers sank. Did he imagine it. Did anyone else see that? Was the foul air playing tricks on his mind?

"Oi!" a gruff voice called out from behind them. Falco, Razul, Cressey, and Sakura found themselves looking at a man dressed in rags. "Aye, you lot!" he shouted from beneath his thick, filthy beard as he hobbled toward them, his tattered boots shuffling along the floor. He was hunched slightly, with one hand buried in his patchwork cloak while his other fist, wrapped in bandages and dirty cloth, shook angrily at them. "Whatchu kids doin' in me home?" the man said as he drew nearer.

Falco opened his mouth to speak, but was assaulted by the scent of old piss and cheap booze wafting from the angry hobo. He quickly snapped his jaw shut to avoid gagging.

"How'd ya get past me dogs, anywho?" the stranger asked as his gaze settled on Sakura. "Oi, I see... Clever bastards, brought a pretty puppy o' yer own." He flew into a rage once more: "I don't care! Bugger off and take yer midget with ye! This is my spot and you's ain't welcome! Begone! Shoo!"

Last edited:
Thea Schuerer

"What...?" Hearing the scurrying horde after the lone rat passed, Thea gave a brief stare as the large hounds appeared, the coordination they showed was something else, more so when three of them darted off on their own, likely towards Gaius's group. These were not just some random mongrels, of that much, she was sure. The question was, from where did they come? Considering an offering of her dried meats, she wasn't sure if that would do much of anything for here and now, she was sent here to kill rats, dogs not so much...

"Steady now.." She says to the three dogs as she follows the sounds of the three that left. Looking at her two comrades she motions with her head, body braced a bit as she places a hand on her sword handle. "Even if we killed them all, we still have little idea on how they got here, or rather from where. Let's retrace our steps and link up with Gaius and then go find Falco's team. We have some answers, and they may have more of their own. For now, we should group back up, slowly. These are not our foes for now."

Keeping an eye on the three hounds, Thea starts to back away from the direction they had come from and where the other three hounds had run off. It was up to her two allies if they agreed with this. Part of her did not like this, but the dogs weren't what she was sent here for. Were they? Either way with as well behaved they were being there was no doubt that a humanoid hand was at work, that was what she needed to find.

Interactions: EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (various)

Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hysface-png.936851

Thinking: "Uhh.. dogs?.. This is a problem.."

Mentions:

Killing rats was about how Hyss had expected it to be. Slice and dice the little grimy critters. She was no expert with her weapon yet, and this was proving to be valuable experience with it! She was actually more or less enjoying it. At least, in the grove, you could say. Killing vermin came naturally to a snake, after all. It even helped her keep her mind off of all the slimy, foul stench around her. But even down here, her Beastfolk senses were sharp. Which was good for her to realize.

However, a moment later big ole mutts appeared out of the dimness, growling ferally at the trio. "Whoa!" Hyss hollered, hunkering down. She immediately reached for Fangflake, preparing her blade. Rats were one thing, but she had NOT been expecting big nasty-looking dogs!

They could take them, right? Her eyes quickly shifted to her partners. Only to hear Thea's call to retreat and meet up with the others. Retreat? Sure... That was an option, she supposed. They could probably handle dogs, but, why though? "Hm.. Yeh..." she murmured. Even so, she couldn't relax in this situation.

"However..." Hyss had a thought, eyes trailing back on the dogs. Six had appeared. Three were staring them down. Three had gone off in presumably search of their comrades, right? "We can't just ignore this threat. Right? What if these were three giant rats. We wouldn't turn tail, right? What are these dogs doing down here? This isn't typical canine territory. Something fishy's goin' on. They're probably a direct threat. It's better to neutralize a threat, rather than turn your back to it, is it not? Look, they're posed like that to try to warn us away. Someone's obviously trained them to do that. Just for what reason are we to stay away? These aren't feral mutts, so they must be a threat."

Last edited:

Lucia Corinna Edelgarde

"Tis fine... and once again, it is rats. There is little else to draw attention to," Lucia replied, moving on from the apparent offence taken. It was obvious she still didn't think very highly of their first quest, more so now that her greaves had been sullied by the revolting liquids of the underbelly as well as rodent blood and guts.

Regardless, as the group paused, so did she, watching into the darkness. The noble's face twisted into a scowl at the mass flight, however then widened to surprise when hounds appeared. She postured much like the dogs did, taking a single step back to adopt a ready stance. However, the dogs did not advance despite the growls of warning.

Listening to Thea's words, Lucia found herself resonating with the sentiment. Nothing would please her more at this moment than leaving the undercity and never returning. However, Hys made a fair point as well. She certainly didn't want to go back with some vague information and have their so-called mentor affirm that this was what they were worth. Lucia smirked.

"Indeed... They're staying put, blocking that tunnel... Isn't it typical of pack hunters to circle? That is, if they're on the offense. Then there was the other trio." It was peculiar to say the least. "They only requested a preliminary investigation... but I'd much rather fully investigate this oddity in the hopes that our future endeavors will be more befitting of our abilities."

Interactions: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko

Thea Schuerer

Looking at the two, Thea speaks up a bit defensively. "Let me remind both of you, we technically aren't Kreigslowen. The one who sent us down here has what is more or less our guild badges. Unless we seek to ask for forgiveness than permission being down here runs counter to the law. At least till the guild speaks for us." Never mind the woman was likely just throwing the work on them more likely than not. This was guild work and even though they passed initiation they still did not have the mark of any true Kreigslowe.

Listening to there words she sighs a bit, there was reason in what they said, but the question was what to do about it. "The dogs are likely war hounds meaning something more is happening here and the other three went to Gaius. I think they'll be fine, but we have no idea what is past here, who controls these dogs or why. Nor am I the leader of us all past the metric I took the stone and spoke."

This whole situation was wrong. This was not their job, the team was scattered, however it was clear something more was going on here. And as a Schuerer, as Thea herself, she could not just leave this burden by the wayside, the Goddess never left such a clear or easy path, and neither was it one to walk lightly. Least not by her understanding. These were likely guard dogs. But they were still dogs and the idea of just running them through seemed very unknightly... Though she was an adventurer now... Still this was the second time she was a bit conflicted dealing with some of this lot... Still, maybe it was worth a try, or she would just go hungry for a day. Reaching into her sack after setting down her silk cloth, she whistles throwing out her collection of smoked jerky to the mutts and away from the path, seeing if they would take the treat and leave or maybe even lead them back. It was also possible they would just eat it or stay there. These were not meeting her in battle or snapping at her, they were staying to guard a location and the Knight could not find it within her to just try slitting their throats and breaking in like a thief. Such was beneath her and the Goddess's Mercy may avail them.

"We try this my way to start with. Then we'll try your way Hyss. Just be ready for that." Thea says as her right hand still rests on her Zweihander shaft. Motioning with her free left hand, she beckons the dogs to move aside, or to lead them off.

Interactions: EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (dogos)

Risax
Location: Tylsen Clocktower - Underground Sewers (main level)
interaction: AI10100 AI10100 Kenshin772 Kenshin772
so the teams hunting had been going.. Ok? It just didn’t seem like there was really doing anything and Risax felt as if his addition to the plan had just made the whole process a bit more tedious… and well this wasn’t exactly his idealised idea of what his first job as an adventure would be but then again everyone had to start somewhere right? But at some point there was one rat.. and then another and another practically a stampede rushing toward them, Risax trying to back up a bit but finding very little room to do so however the Rat bolted past them obviously there was something bigger Chasing them right? Soon his suspicions where confirmed as the sound of snarling and barking proceeded the arrival of 3 massive lumbering black dogs. “What the hell?“ Risax spurted out in shock looking at the others but unsure what to do there wasn’t much room to move around but, they where not attacking simply blocking them? So they couldn’t be feral right? “Someone has to own these dogs right? I mean if they were feral they would have attacked us? So any ideas guys?” Risax asked

Thalgrukh
Interacting with: Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax) Kenshin772 Kenshin772 (Gaius)
Mentions:

For the most part, things have been going rather smoothly. They had killed a couple but more remained. It wasn't like they were encountering any nests that they could just burn down and be done with it. It just felt like they were seeing the usual rats skittering around— nothing that would indicate an infestation really. It was difficult not to feel like they were accomplishing nothing. It was like a day in the mines where everything they were mining at was small veins of ore or, when it was a particularly bad day for everyone involved, none at all.

Then a rat came up. Then two. Then more. The rats were practically flowing down the sewer path— rushing between their feet and legs. They were too numerous to pin down. Besides, there was a much bigger, much more threatening problem that they were now facing as three mutts snarled at them.

"You're probably right. Did we stumble into someone's territory?" He asked, already bringing out his shield and his axe. While the shield was better made for catching weapons, being able to push the dogs off and avoid getting bitten was also for the best. "If someone does own these dogs, then there's our answer. Someone's been living in these sewers and scaring the rats topside."

His eyes flickered to the passage that the dogs were blocking. They came from the other group's direction. Were they okay? Did they encounter the same hounds too? "Well, these mutts are between us and our objective. Doesn't leave much for debate really." He twirled his axe. "They don't look like they're gonna let us through with a please and thank you." Thal knew better than to charge in by himself so he prepared himself and awaited for his companions to get ready as well. Three dogs shouldn't be that much of a problem, right? Well, hopefully. It wouldn't be a good look on them to have been completely bested by trained dogs.

Cressey
Current Location: Sewers

This was excellent!
Things were going perfectly according to her plan, as Cressey doggedly pursued the small furry shape darting about in the shadows, trotting just far enough to have it fear her presence, but not too close to force it to change it's course.
Soon enough, it lead her directly to what she had been expecting; a small mound of trash and refuse, soft, rotted wood, and moth-eaten cloths riddled with holes fit for any vermin to fit through.
A small hive, teeming with tiny, unsuspecting life.
She had prepared herself for the task ahead, having kneaded a small bead of Risax's silk into a soft, supple ball, which she planted on the point of her spear, and she could already see the perfect torch nearby on which to light it.
There was nothing that could stop her now.

...Except that fool Razul dashing in front of her once more, sending her prey scurrying in panic into a nearby hole.
Much to her surprise, however, he carried an uncharacteristically serious glower on his face as he pushed ahead.
And even more uncharacteristically, it seemed that they were on the same page!
She felt a small glimmer of pride, seeing her plan being put into action, and for a moment, she was almost glad for the fanciful boy's assistance.
Almost.

One more obstacle yet awaited her however, as a violet, purple arm swung out, blocking her from proceeding any further.
She had come to expect the patronizing comments from Falco and Razul, but the beastkin had, so far, struck Cressey as having somewhat of a level head.
At the very least, they were focused mostly on the task at hand.
But for her to not only reveal that she had ignored the teams' earlier planning, and to talk down to her about the basics of hunting as if she were some mere kit in her tribe!?
Et tu, Sakura? Et tu?

Cressey pinched the bridge of her nose, letting a protracted sigh in frustration as he watched the fox toss callously toss away the skewered rats she had so proudly captured,
"Yes, yes, fine shot. All well and good if we wanted to spend the entire day, hunting ingredients for your precious rodent soup..." she huffed.
"But allow me to remind you that we were not sent here to hunt these rats, we're here to exterminate them, and to learn why they've been allowed to fester here unabated."
As if to further elaborate her point, Cressey stomps menacingly towards the festering rat hole, paying no mind to the tiny rodents as they flee away from her in terror.
When one small rat doesn't flee quite fast enough in fear of her presence, she even gives it a menacing glare, baring her teeth and letting out a menacing growl, until eventually it eventually abandons it's rotten meal to join it's brethren.
"...And to accomplish that first task, we should first learn where their burrows are, which as you've just witnessed, they are more than willing to lead us there themselves, with the right provocation."
With the rats now gathered, Cressey jams her spear into the nearby torch, pulling back to reveal a fiery, smoking glob of fiery silk melting on her spear's tip, before turning back towards the beastkin and company, sporting a rather devilish grin on her face, as she proudly proclaimed;
"Now then, allow me to show you some real hunting!"

~~~
The smell of burning silk; foul, acrid, and not entirely unfamiliar to Cressey.
She had smelled it only a few times before, in the foolish days of her youth, when she first attempted to learn how to cook, only to succeed in setting her own dress alight.
It was a cherished memory, one that she would spend some more time reflecting on, were it not for the task at hand.
Once more, she had prepared the small bead of spider silk, and set it to torch on the edge of her lance.
And once more, she had shoved it deep into the rat-infested gully of a pile of trash; this one featuring a ragged tarp stretched across it's top; it almost looked like some beggard wastrel's idea of a home.
Perhaps at some point it was.
The chittering of rats soon followed, flooding out from their holes to escape the suffocating smoke.
They would be dead before they hit the ground, their panicked squeaks abruptly cut short by a few rapid jabs from Cressey's spear.

At first the macabre scene had struck her as rather disturbing, but after the first three rats nests she'd burned, she'd started to grow deaf to the rat's panicked cries.
Still, the task was not something she found herself smiling over, especially not now, given the grim nature of her surroundings.
That was the first nest that they had come across in a good while, and judging from the intensifying smell that permeated the air around them, they had wandered deep into the bowels of the sewer, where rats were supposed to be good and plentiful, but oddly enough, seemed to be in short supply.
The overwhelming silence didn't help combat the dreadful gloom that had taken over the group, every member of the small band of rat hunters now focusing more on keeping the horrid, dank stench at bay. Cressey herself, was practically inhaling her scarf at this point.
After a few more moments of fruitless searching in the dark, Cressey turned towards Falco, who seemed to be having the same idea that she'd had; turn back, and try their luck in some other sewer avenue, but a rotten smell that dwarfed even that of the surrounding sewers suddenly overtook them, followed soon by the harsh barking of a very unfamiliar, and very irritated voice.
"W-well, Falco..." Cressey chocked, taking a few steps back to keep herself a safe distance from the odor.
"This would to be a good time for you to work your famous charms!"
"Go on!"
she cheered, her voice dripping with false enthusiasm as she jabbed the boy's rear end encouragingly with the flat of her spear.
"Make friends with the man!"
The silver-haired boy, for his part, seemed to have made some attempt at communication, only to be rebuked by the defiled air clinging to the man, sending him reeling back as if he were struck by a physical blow.
Damn, seemed that wouldn't work.
"W-We..." Cressey forced herself to speak; a difficult feat, given how badly her eyes watered, and her throat closed in retaliation to the overwhelming stench.
"We've been sent by order of the Guild! *cough*"
"We're--*cough* investigating the sewers!"

Interacting:
AnonyMouse AnonyMouse (Falco/Bum)
Topless Topless (Sakura)

Sakuranbo Suzui
Sakura was bit surprised when Cressey, a little woman, managed to catch an even greater number of rats. She felt quite impressed, but that doesn't make her take away her doubts. "Hmm...let us be on our way then." Sakura said as the group continued onward. She seemed to have ignored what Cressey had done, but in truth, she has other things that she has in her mind.

Time had went on and they have went deeper into the sewers. The stench was getting unbearable, which could be a problem for the beastkin. Then came a light, somehow. They went towards it and when it vanished, they're rudely greeted by some hobo living in the sewer. How long has he been here? Falco was about to say something to the old man when the foul stench of piss and booze overwhelmed the surrounding area. Sakura wanted to speak, but she can't bear it. Eventually, she began to gag and cough out loudly.

Hysydice "Hyss" Maliss
hysface-png.936851

Thinking: "Uhh.. dogs?.. This is a problem.."

Mentions:

"Maybe not, but that isn't what I was referring to. I was meaning these are our enemies here and now; I was not speaking about our job. These enemies threaten our lives here, right now. One must deal with dangerous situations that arise like this to the best of their ability. Are trained knights the type to die if their superior ordered it so?" Even as she asked the question, Hyss knew the answer. That was pretty much what Knights exactly did, was it not? Even her own training more than likely leaned that way. Still, it didn't sit right with her. She didn't want to become a loyal slave -that's why she left Valgem in the first place. She wanted to to become a learned and clever shadow. Well-trained and thorough.

"War hounds?" she queried. These mutts? Her silver eyes scrutinized their features. They just looked like dogs to her. Then again, she had never seen war proper, so who could say? She tried to think back to the time she was with the Valgem empire and if these mutts reminded her of their own trained war hounds. Or if they even had any.

She glanced over as Thea produced meat to ward the mutts away. "Resourceful." She commented. But she highly doubted that trained dogs such as these would be swayed by a stranger's meat. Still, Hyss wasn't necessarily suggesting they infiltrate whatever they were guarding, she was merely suggesting they make sure they survive this encounter, instead of turning their backs to known enemies.

Meditation was not normally how Viv chose to pass her time. She would much rather be practicing her sword forms or reading a good book. Unfortunately, there was barely enough headspace in this room for her to stand fully upright without her horns scraping the low ceiling, let alone swing a sword. And she hadn’t brought any books.

So, she chose to retreat into her mind, condensing hours into minutes through sheer force of will. This came easily for her. She could sleep standing up and often did so when on missions. To a casual observer, it probably looked as if that is what she is doing now. Viv had not moved since the newbies departed. She remained by the open door, a silent sentinel guarding the darkened passage, ensuring no foe could slip by unchallenged and no friend unloved.

But none came, not even a rat. Within minutes, she could no longer hear their banter, or complaints, or their splashing footfalls. The newbies were truly gone, vanished into the depths, and she could only await their safe return.

But, eventually, the sound of footsteps made her equine ears perk up. She looked to the stairwell. Someone was coming, not from the sewer, but from the clocktower above, moving with swift, but graceful and controlled, steps. Viv singled out the sound of metal heels on cold stone and the jangling of metal baubles and trinkets, a familiar melody.

Cephilia. So, the elf has a heart after all?

Just couldn’t stay away, could you? Viv thought. Her heightened senses receded and reality imploded upon her. The rhythmic humming of the pumping machinery returned, a sound she had occluded while meditating. If not for such a technique, she would never have detected the Cascarieth’s approach.

A moment later, Cephilia arrived, coming down the steps, slowly, as if she didn’t want Viv to see her hurry. Even her facial features seemed to show subtle signs of worry, hidden beneath a mask of neutrality. She forced a smile when she caught Viv’s eyes, but the older woman was not fooled. Something was definitely wrong. But, rather than pry, Viv remained silent, letting Cephilia go through the motions. She knew all too well how evasive this prideful woman could be when prodded.

Viv was sure the next few minutes would be an agonizingly long and emotionally draining affair, where Cephilia talks about the weather, politics, a new dress she bought, metallurgy, quantum mechanics, astrophysics -- anything to avoid the actual issue. But, to her surprise, the elf took a deep breath, looked her matronly mentor squarely in the eyes, and got right to the point:

“Our map of the sewers is missing,” she said, planting her hands firmly on her hips. “Did you take it, to give to the recruits?”

“Of course not,” Viv said, curiously.

“I didn’t think so, but I had to ask. Well, that settles it. I’m going in.” Cephilia’s shoulders sank, but there was a resolution in her eyes.

“Hold on. Maybe someone borrowed it without asking or it’s filed on the wrong shelf. Or…” she averted her gaze, “Or maybe Rena lost it, perhaps.”

“V, don’t insult my protégé, I taught her everything she knows,” Cephilia said sharply. “Anyway, Rena’s going to do a full inventory check, to see if anything else has disappeared, but I have a bad feeling about this, Viv. Wasn’t it you who told me to listen to my instincts more?”

“Yes, and I also said you have terrible instincts, dear.”

“Whatever. If I’m wrong, everyone comes home safe and we have a good laugh and a long, hot shower. But if I’m right, someone or something is down there, was down there, or is making plans to be down there.” She paused for air before saying, in a low groan, “I shouldn’t have sent them in without doing my homework first. Go on and say it: ‘I told you so.’”

Viv smiled warmly and laid a hand on her friend’s shoulder. “I would rather say, ‘how can I help.’ I can go in and-”

“No, this is my mess to clean up,” Cephilia quickly said. “Besides, if they have any sense, they’ll be pretty deep into the tunnels by now. Due to your, umm, girth I doubt you could catch up easily. However… hmmm…. You up for a run?”

“You want me to go around to the cave entrance? Maybe form a pincer and come at it from the other side?” Viv said, snatching the idea right out of her head, which brightened Cephilia’s otherwise dour expression. “There was a bad rockslide there last winter, but it’s nothing I can’t clear… assuming it hasn’t been cleared already.”

“Exactly. I want you to check that out. This time of year, the water level should be low. If I were going to use Tylsen’s underground for something, be it smuggling, slaving, drugs, or whatever, the subterranean river --or what’s left of it-- is where I’d set up shop. Or, where I’d retreat if some busybodies came snooping around,” Cephilia said as she rolled up her sleeves and whispered an incantation.

“A water-repelling spell? Well, well, well, aren’t we vain?” Viv said with a smirk as the arcanizer on Cephilia’s wrist glowed pale blue for a moment before slowly fading away. “I’m sure the newbies would have liked to know that one. It’s a relatively easy spell, if only someone weren’t holding their arcanizers hostage…”

“I’ll make it up to them. Besides, this is hygiene, not vanity. I’m not vain,” Cephilia said as she tossed her long blonde hair. “It’s disgusting in there. And I’ve used magic for less.”

“The ol’ fire spell to warm your bum on a cold day?” Viv said. “I haven’t forgotten about that one. Tsk, tsk, tsk…” The two women shared a laugh for a moment before they both simultaneously took on grim expressions. “Just like old times, eh?” Viv said.

“That’s the thing about time: it is always marching onward. The past never truly repeats itself, even when we think it does. Our enemies learn, adapt, find smarter ways to do foolish things,” Cephilia said as she slowly shook her head. “V, I hope I’m overthinking this and it’s nothing. Just rats doing rat stuff, right? But, if there is something nefarious going on down there… to think, someone would be bold enough to steal from us and, bolder still, think they can rest easy beneath our feet and not have the wrath of the heavens fall upon their heads! That is a first.”

“Bold indeed,” Viv said.

“Viv, I dare say, I am incensed,” she said calmly. “I am beside myself with rage. My soul is aflame.”

“Truly? You appear quite calm.

Cephilia shrugged. “Good upbringing, I suppose. Anyway, I am off to retrieve my minions. Travel well, friend,” she said with a curtsey and a flourish before turning toward the sewer entrance.

"Same. See you soon," Viv said before galloping up the stairs toward the surface. She soon emerged from the clocktower and doubled her pace as she headed out of town, racing past the innocent civilians, unaware of what might or might not be taking place beneath their feet.

He did not like the way Cressey was egging him on, making him the leader of this troupe. Wasn’t that Razul’s job? This was one instance where Falco was more than willing to let Sparkles take the lead, partly because just being near this stranger made him want to gag, but also because no sane person would take the boy’s ridiculousness seriously. If Razul was good at one thing, it would be lowering a potential enemy's guard... or at least leaving them too confused to attack.

However, Falco noticed the way the man’s wandering gaze locked upon Cressey when she said they’d been sent by ‘the guild.’ It was brief, but Falco knew what he’d seen: fear.

Fortunately, the tension was broken by Razul gallantly offering the man a coin. Another of those damned coins. Where did they come from? Falco was beginning to suspect the boy literally pulled them out of his ass but, at least for now, he was grateful for Razul’s quick thinking… if that’s what this truly was.

The hobo’s face lit up at the sight of coin… until he got a closer look at it. “The fuck is this bullshit?” he said when he noticed the face on it. After turning it over a few times, he chomped down on it. Falco noticed he had awfully nice teeth, for a sewer-goblin. “This is fake. Fuck off,” the stranger said, tossing aside the coin. It hit the murky water with a satisfying ‘plop,’ and his eyes were back on Cressey before the splash. “Wha- Guild?” the hobo grunted from beneath his rags, returning to the previous matter.

Falco’s mind was made up. This was no hobo. He did not like that the man kept his hands hidden beneath that tattered cloak. In fact, everything was hidden but his face. The only question left in his mind was whether they should run or…

“The Bard’s Guild,” Falco quickly blurted out, suddenly finding his voice, and thankfully, not losing his lunch in the process. Expelling words was easy. Taking a breath afterwards, not so much. So, keep talking: “We’re… performers. Can’t you tell?” he said with a friendly smile. “We have a midget for tossing. The big guy can chuck her twenty, thirty feet on a good day! We got one of the best clowns in town, a knife-thrower, archery tricks… man, it’s fun for the whole family!”

The hobo’s eyes darted between the four of them. His suspicions had not subsided in the slightest. His hands were still hidden beneath his cloak. Weighing his options was something Falco knew how to do, but he had no idea what this guy was hiding or what the heck was going on with the ‘dogs’ he had mentioned. Was that a bluff? Behind him, Falco could hear Sakura coughing and gagging, but felt confident she could pull herself together and put an arrow between this guy’s eyes if he, Razul, or Cressey failed to keep a lid on things.

We got this.

“You shouldn’t have thrown away that coin, buddy. That was your ticket to a free show,” Falco said, relaxing his posture. “You and your mutts are stirring up the rats and its making business rough for us. So, how about you just stop, okay?” His fingers curled around Viv’s stargazer stone hidden in his pocket, but slid away from that and fingered one of his many knives. We. Got. This. We're adventurers too, dammit.

“Fuck yer show. Get outta me home,” the hobo said.

“Look, buddy, I’ve done the homeless thing plenty of times -- a couple of weeks ago, actually -- and, trust me, you’re doin’ it all wrong, pal,” Falco said. “Livin’ in the sewer? Wallowing in piss and shit? C’mon, man, I know a guy. We can get you a wash and a warm bed and-”

“Leave,” the hobo said, his cold gaze sliding from one target to the next, encompassing them all. “Last warning.”

I know what I saw, Falco thought, remembering the corridor he thought he had hallucinated. We're close to something. Can't turn back now. He chuckled, exuding confidence, despite taking half a step back and readying his stance for whatever happens next. “How about you show us where you’re staying at? Be a good host,” he said. “Or maybe we’ll just help ourselves. There’s four of us and one of you, man.”

“Stupid kid. I gave you a chance,” the hobo said, slowly shaking his head. Beneath his cloak, something shifted. “Four? Heh, all ten of you can’t take me.”

Ten? Falco thought, counting each member of their group in his head. Oh, shit-

Falco quickly jerked back, flicking a throwing knife at the man as a flash of steel lashed out from beneath the hobo’s tattered cloak, neatly slicing the filthy fabric in two. The thrown knife impotently bounced off of the man’s scale armor and clattered to the ground, just as Falco fell on his butt in the disgusting muck. He scrambled backwards, narrowly avoiding a second slash from this man, who was clearly no ordinary bum.

“Oh, so you's the knife-thrower, aye? I took you for the clown,” the main said with a wicked grin as his cloak fell away, revealing a full suit of smoke-blackened scale and leather armor beneath. He peeled the fake beard from his face and tossed it aside. A bandolier of daggers was slung across his chest. He held a curved shortsword in one hand and unsheathed its twin from his hip as he readied his stance.

That was too fucking close, Falco thought, feeling ice in his veins as he quickly got to his feet and drew his dagger with shaking hands. Fear. The feeling that he had nearly died... and still might. There was a neat slice across his chest, shredding the top layer of his padded clothing. But, he didn't feel any warm blood pumping out, so he took that as a win. Then again, sdrenaline could play tricks on the mind.

“R-Razul, get him!” Falco said. “You got this, bro. I believe in you!”

The murderous hobo grinned. “I was gonna go for the dog archer first, seeing as how I fucking hate arrow-slinging bitches, but sure, why not?” he said, flexing his muscles as if this were all a game to him and they posed no threat at all. “I’ll start with the sparkly fuckboy, then you blondie, then the midget. Foxie goes last. Maybe I’ll keep her around as a breeder for my hounds.”

Team Thea
RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss)

The novice adventurers were not moving quickly enough. The hounds appeared to be growing impatient, barking, growling, and occasionally lunging at the adventurers in warning, before quickly retreating back.

When Thea reached into her pack, two of the hounds instantly turned their attention to her, even before she whistled at them. Either they smelled the meat or sensed she was about to extract a new weapon. These animals were far too intelligent.

Their movements were too well-coordinated. They did everything in pairs, always seeking to outnumber their prey. When the knight set down the dried meat, one hound approached, while another stayed a few feet behind, as if on guard, and the third remained farther back still, like a failsafe in case something were to happen to the other two.

Their large size, long claws, and sharp teeth suggested each of these animals would be a dangerous foe alone, but their movements made it quite clear that attacking one would bring a second and, possibly, a third to bear almost instantly.

The first hound sniffed the meat and nuzzled it for a moment, glancing up at Thea as it did so. And then, in one swift motion, it snatched up the prize and tossed it back with a quick flick of its thick neck, sharing the bounty with its two mates, who quickly wolfed down their portions. The hound only kept a small piece for itself, which quickly vanished down its throat.

After the feeding, there was a brief moment of inaction, as if all three animals were debating whether the offered olive branch was worthy of peace. The hounds closest to and farthest from the knight remained totally motionless, like statues, while the one at mid-range paced slowly, as if ready for whatever comes next.

And, in an instant, the scene exploded. The hound closest to Thea pounced upon her, practically throwing its bulky body at her midsection to throw her off balance, too close to easily defend against. At the same time, the second quickly darted in and launched itself at her sword arm, with its jaws wide open, ready to clamp down and not let go. The third began to circle around, closing in at a separate angle of attack, ready to defend its brethren, or prevent others from interfering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back