• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales of Raeligard

Jf5CChj.png

Was it the sun that rose first, or the birds than sang first?

Of course it was the birds. How else would they get the worms?

At the crack of dawn, Lori, who had been snoring merrily up until that very moment, immediately flung herself upwards, swapping from lying down on her bed to standing up on her feet in a single movement. Like a drowning man taking a precious breath, she sucked in the air with an audible hiss, before her eyes snapped open. It was dark still, but it was day as well, and with all the work that was before them still, there was simply no need for any dilly-dallying! After all, they had a great meal and a great sleep last night, so no excuses were to be excused for sleepyheads!

But, well, even Lori knew (by now) that not everyone enjoyed been woken up by a scream, so instead, she skedaddled around the others' sleeping forms, giving their soft cheeks a nice, firm pinch. "Time to eat and time to work," she sang. "We've still got four more warehouses to do before you get to sleep in again, ok?"

Of course, she wasn't their daddy or anything, so that was all Lori did before she skipped out of the inn room, just in time to spy...

"Oh, morning Zest!" Lori pulled her hood up and ducked her head down, so the bluebird could hop on. "You flying solo with us today?"

Had to be the case, no? If Arien was just going to watch over them, it made more sense if he never even showed up in person. Which meant...hrmmm...She popped open her pouch of trail mix, chewing on some dried fruit while offering a couple nuts to Zest. It was going to be one of those days then. One of those independent action days.

hyss-banner2-png.999406

Currently: Sitting tending wounds at the camp
Thinking: "Ugh, this hurts..."

Interacting: RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun
Mentions: Risax

Upon hearing Thea's voice, Hyss flinched and looked over. She had wiped her wound clean and dabbed some minor ointment she carried around with her on it. Though this stuff wasn't strong and her cut was quite big, but it would suffice. Plastering a cloth bandage over the wound, Hyss pulled her shirt up and looked over. "You did not order me to move ahead, as I recall your words were "stick to the plan"." Even so, that wasn't what Thea was asking; she was asking why didn't she follow to go off who knows-where.

Hyss sighed. While she thought this could've been folly, in regards to finishing their mission, the snake realized this was just Thea's nature, and that it was likely ill-advised to argue against it. She would simply have to accept Thea's proclivities of helping everyone, even if it deviated from the mission and caused issues. So she withheld her opinion of it and bit back her tongue. "You went to heal the hunter, right? I did not figure I was necessary for that. I figured you could handle healing the hunter, then we would return to the current plan. So, I thought it prudent to remain hidden. Revealing myself would've been a critical error if the beast were watching. While it was an assumption that the beast was watching, and that's affording it a lot of intelligence it might not possess, that was my assessment. Which is why I stayed behind. Not to mention..." She glanced over at the spider man. "Risax needed backup. Right? It would've been even worse if he had been left alone." Thinking back to the fight, that was doubly true. She was just imagining what would've happened if Risax had been alone. It was true his bolt felled the beast. But that weapon was unwieldy -and it would've been unlikely he would've been able to have such a clean shot if he had been alone.

Hyss winced, hand touching her chest once more. Talking so much pained her so.​

"She's welcome to tag along, but I don't think she's ready for that yet, Falco said, when Sakura proposed bringing the injured Hyss along. Even though the girl had upset him multiple times today, he wasn't going to shut her out. He would keep trying, though her erratic behavior was making it rather difficult.

"And, no, I don't know what you mean," Falco added when Sakura's last comment finally registered in his clouded mind. "No one's being 'strict' around here. Quite the opposite, actually. To be honest, I was expecting Kriegslowe life to be a lot more... I don't know... structured?"

Having grown up in a church-run orphanage, he believed he had a pretty good idea of what strictness and discipline looked like... and this certainly wasn't that. Their guildmaster skipped town on day one, leaving them in the care of a strange --though charming, in her own way-- centaur, and her even stranger elf gal pal. And now they were being watched over by a brutish, foul-mouthed former bandit. And most of the recruits themselves were even more eccentric than all of that.

Goddess help us, Sakura, if they were 'strict' would I be sitting beside a cannibal right now? Falco thought, feeling himself grow ten years older as this train of thought barelled through all the stops. Maybe he should just go get the damned kindling now. He needed some air.

However, Thea whistled to get their attention before addressing the gathered adventurers. She wanted answers now. No time for a breather. Falco settled in and braced for what he was sure would be another flare of tempers all around him. Sitting around the campfire like this, it felt a little too much like Risax and Hyss were being judged before a council. Although he wanted to know their reasoning, this was not the division this group needed right now. Nevertheless, Falco leaned in, elbows planted on his knees and his chin in his hands as Hyss began to speak.

Falco's brows furrowed the moment she began her explanation. Thea had given specific orders to each and every one of them regarding what to do once they arrived at the injured hunter or if the beast attacked en route to that destination. Splitting the team was never on the table and hadn't been all day. How, in the goddess's name, had Hyss interpreted that order as 'stay here?' Her very first words were a departure from reality and everything that followed was more excuses piled upon excuses, ending with faulting Risax, as if she had done this for his sake.

Falco exhaled. The mood was calm. The fire, relaxing. There was no pressing matter of an impending beast bearing down upon them, unless one takes a very liberal interpretation of Sen's existence. If ever there was a time for them to talk to one another like adults instead of angsty children, this was it.

"Risax, buddy, I know you're up, but I gotta get somethin' off my chest," Falco said, raising his hand. Once he had the floor, he took a deep breath and peered across the flames at Hyss.

"We're a team," Falco began, pausing to give that word the weight it deserved, because they had each --himself included-- done their part to chip away at it all damned day and he wasn't sure what was left anymore. His tone was heavy as he continued, as if it took great effort to speak. "I don't know what made you think the word 'we' didn't include you. I don't know what made you think you'd be safer or more effective alone than with the rest of us. And I don't know what made you think staying behind with Risax was smarter or safer than saying, 'hey, Risax, maybe we should follow our friends.' If the answer to any of those questions is me, Hysydice, I'm sorry. I really mean it. A-and I hope I didn't screw up your name again, alright."

"I'll be honest here, I don't care that you guys disobeyed an order,"
he said with a shrug and a slow shake of his head as he turned to Thea. "Sorry, but I don't. Me and authority don't mesh," he chuckled, though his face still appeared somber. "I follow you because you're my friend and I know this means a lot to you and I don't wanna be one more thing for you to worry about, Thea. I mean, look at you. You're already sprouting gray hairs," he said, trying to add some levity to the situation. But his tone became hard once more: But you don't pay my bills. You ain't my boss. You're my friend, so act like it. And, as your friend, let me tell you... you gotta chill, girl. Seriously. Or you're gonna have an actual mutiny on your hands."

With that out of the way, he turned his attention to the group as a whole. "To me, there's two big issues here," he said, raising one finger. "The first is we left them behind. Do not forget that! Either we didn't know or didn't care that two of our own stayed behind at a known ambush site. That's fucked up, man," he said, his voice cracking. "And the second thing... they chose that. H-how messed up are we, that two of our allies would rather take their chances with a vicious animal than stick with us!? Anybody stopped to think about that for a minute instead of taking sides or pointing fingers? It sucks, man. It really fucking sucks."

Interaction(s): RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) / Topless Topless (Sakura) / Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax)

Thea Schuerer

As the explanation was given, Thea found a bored smile with a knowing nod to her face as Hyss went about her explanation, it then changed to a bemused chuckle. "Ah, so that is the way of it, is it? I had not known your grasp of the common tongue was so weak. I-"

It was then that Falco interjected, she was a little surprised at the length of what he had to say, though she did glare a bit at the gray hairs remark. Then again, her sense of humor was something else from his. She did not laugh or interject as he went on with what he had to say. Given how long she would talk she couldn't call him out on that. So, she sat and listened, though her facial expression did shift at the mention of them being friends. Looking back to see where Sen was, she then decides to speak.

"Risax, it is up to you if you wish to speak. It is not required. I'll assume with your bulk, getting down from the trees and then linking up with a quickly moving group would be a problem for you."

She then turned her attention to Falco and stared for a good while before continuing. "In the Army both would be delt with severely. However, this is not the Army and it is not like they ran from a battle or deserted the post. However, the principle remains, you spoke of this as if I'm doing it for control, I've given up on that the moment we left that town, but that doesn't mean I'll allow this circus to go just wherever it wills. Nor will I say I am innocent in this affair. This job has taught me much and I was so focused on following Sen through the rough terrain, focusing on aiding the hunter and honestly wanting space from some of you that I did not look back till the battle was done."

While Falco reached out with friendship, Thea reached out with her stress. "Falco you say I should chill as you put it, I've seen a bit of a few of you calling me out, or just disrupting me from the very start! But thankfully some of you haven't. I give my orders in an attempt to keep you all alive and free of wounds as possible! I am responsible for all of you, as that is the burden of command.

Do you think my reports will just focus on the issues of you all, that I will say I performed flawlessly?

I am doing what I can to uphold the guild code and what I see as our worth. Is the fact I don't let you all, throw weapons in a meeting, plot to "question" a worker, not accept an underhanded deal, attempt to at least honor our job request, tried to save a dying man, and put up a way to battle so we don't run afoul of each other that big of an issue for you all? Is my wish to bring about even a pretend order to this chaos that wrong?

That is one error of mine, trying to make this look like a unified front. This group isn't on the same book never mind the same page and I don't see a way to fix it short of me proving myself with violence as reason clearly is not working. But the hells do you, any of you, even know about me? Or me of you, friends huh? No wonder one of our number ditched us all."

With that Thea just shakes her head side to side and picks a tent to claim for herself, flapping open the flap to inspect the inside, satisfied, she takes a seat outside of it and continues to speak, distancing herself from the rest.

"This outing has not been a success as I see it. I grow tired of this and in general I wish to clean my armor. Hyss, you will be made to keep the first and second watch when we sleep with the third to sleep in. Risax you shall carry what equipment or supplies we bring into the woods; a back line position is what your armaments support anyways. There will not be a next time of this incident."

With that Thea settles in and seems to not wish to bother with the rest but speaks up after the fact. "Hyss, see me if you still need healing, give me a few minutes. Should any of the rest of you need me, easy enough to find. Do what you want."

Interactions: EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 Topless Topless

Last edited:
hyss-banner2-png.999406

Currently: Talking it out
Thinking: "Huh.."

Interacting: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse @RedArmyShogun
Mentions:

Hyss looked over at Falco.

Hearing what he had to say gave her pause. The snake's eyes fell. "I.. Admittedly.. I was not thinking about you all when I made my decision..." she began. Her brow furrowed. She had only been thinking about the mission. They had thought of her as an ally? Or Falco did at least; she hadn't even considered that's how they felt. It is how she felt, sure, but them? Or if she had truly felt that way, then she would've considered them in her decision. Hyss pulled off her hood.

"Nor Risax, to be honest. It was simply a good thing I stayed behind to help him -- a fortuitous happenstance." She bit her lip. He was accepting responsibility. Even Thea was. She hadn't thought either would, too much pride getting in the way. "Perhaps I made an error in judgment... It was not like I wanted to engage the beast alone... without you all." She touched her wounded chest. "I did not want to help the hunter - I was suspicious of him. I thought revealing my position was a bad idea. But... I should've come along anyway. Splitting up was folly. It nearly got me and Risax killed. Even if I had provided backup.. it hadn't been enough; I likely didn't do enough to help. After all, we had to be rescued by the.. by Sen. Next time I will stick to orders even if they bug me. I'll keep it to myself. Endangering my allies is out of the question."

With that said, the girl dipped her head to Thea, acknowledging she would take the first watch. Even if she felt like keeling over and passing out right then and there.​

1669932630817.png

Apart from Lori, Talio was the earliest to wake up among the group members. While the others were still getting off the bed, he was busy inspecting his equipment for the task at hand. Having prepared the bait and stronger pesticide in the event of another encounter with those damned stockeaters. It was an amusing sight, watching Lori gleefully wake everyone up, it reminded him of his little sister. He briefly wondered how she was doing back home, as its been a while since he had talked to her.

He quite enjoyed the feast they had yesterday, even though it was supposedly just normal food. The merchant wasn't too picky about the food he received and was thankful anytime he had food that wasn't rations. He made sure to write down a few recipes for the specific dishes that he was particularly fond of. He was not a chef, but he was pretty confident he could recreate some of these dishes in the comfort of his own wagon.

Talio found it strange to see that Arien was nowhere to be found. So much for being an observer. After going down the stairs he could see that his bird was still there. But at least his bird was still her, maybe he's the real observer? Perhaps he was confident enough in their abilities to carry out this mission without further assistance from him. Talio slowly made his way to the arrow and inspected the leaf. Seeing Lori quickly getting along with the bird, he couldn't help but smile at the sight. "Guess, we'll leave you in charge of him then." He spoke to Lori, unofficially making her its temporary guardian. "I gave some thought about it, I think we should have a partner system in the next warehouse. That way, we would less likely be caught flatfooted." Talio suggested to the team, or at least anyone who was within earshot.

@team B Reinhardt Reinhardt

Recruits

Hearing a familiar voice, the blue bird rose from its slumber. It turned its head towards the voice's source, to be met with Lori ducking down and presenting the top of her head - to which the bird responded with a lively chirp. It hopped in small segments, never leaving the arrow, causing the left that hung to it to swing ever so slightly. After a brief moment and realizing that its message was not being conveyed well, Zest flew over and landed on Lori's head.

When the young beastfolk began to chow down on some fruit and offered the bird nuts, the latter obliged, pecking down tiny bits of the snack as another person came down the stairs. Talio, having arrived almost at the same time Lori did in the vicinity of the arrow, went on to inspect the leaf - even taking enough caution to touch it ever so slightly with his metal arm.

The moment the steel on his arm made contact with the leaf, its green glow brightened and Zest responded by basking itself in blue light. For a short moment, there was silence, before a familiar voice spoke into his ears, and his ears alone.

"Talio. I see.", it said, the volume sounding as if the source was merely next to him. "As you have already heard, the first group of recruits has received exceptions, and I believe it is only fair that your group would receive such as well. However, I will only aid you without overstepping the boundaries of my role as your observer."

"I shall inform the coming inspectors of your plan to tackle the infestation issue, whether they enforce it or not will be for them to decide. I will be including your suggestion of quarantining the warehouse.", a short, subtle wind blow could be heard in the background, and at that point, it was rather clear who was speaking. "I presume they are yet to depart Tylsen's gates, so I will be away for some time. Zest shall accompany you in my stead - in the event that you desperately need aid, you may tell her to fetch me."

"I have left the documents for the two other warehouses you will be inspecting for the rest of the mission on the table.", a green glow suddenly emerged and quickly dissipated on the wooden table where the group once ate, revealing the now unconcealed stack of papers they received from Hedwig Heine - which consisted of the location, inventory lists, and a few of the most recent reports for Heine Warehouses 5 and 6. If one were to take a closer look, these two warehouses are quite close to each other, with an easy estimate of roughly an hour's walk from one building to the other, perhaps less if one were to move quickly. "I shall leave that to your care."

"For your transport, I have informed the coachman we hired to take you to Heine Warehouse 5 once you are all ready to depart. He should be waiting for you outside the inn.", he added. "There will be no need to worry about the costs of using the inn's services, the fees have already been shouldered. Just leave the room keys on the table before you leave."

"Relay this message to your fellow recruits.", he concluded. "Just keep up with your performance, and you'll be done with this quest in due time. Good luck."

The voice faded away and the leaf curls even further, losing its green glow alongside Zest's glow. The bird atop Lori's head chirped.

Interaction/s: Cresslinde ( King Crimson King Crimson ), Endymion ( lunar_moth lunar_moth ), Lupa ( Silver Wolf Silver Wolf ), Talio ( TreasureSniper TreasureSniper ), Lori ( ERode ERode )

celandine_5-png.1000258

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

As they reached camp, Lucia took a seat by the fire as everyone settled in before they were prompted to search for kindle. As she prepared to sit up and Falco began to depart with the fox in tow, Thea called their attention to seek the two beastkins' reasoning for their actions. The Caskarieth remained seated, listening to their words.

She found Hysydice's reasoning to be lacking. It would've been more rational to stick with the group, as had been repeated. With this, Lucia agreed with Thea. It was just poor judgement all in all, but she didn't think the girl did it out of malice or rebellion.

However, surprisingly the next to speak wasn't Risax, but Falco, cutting the knight off. He was attempting to be an intermediary and make a case for what caused the two to behave this way, arguing that it was partially their fault as well. He commented on Thea's strictness, urging her to relax, and Thea didn't seem to take to this as well as Hysydice did.

Now it was her turn for a speech, one Lucia didn't take issue with at any particular point, save for the jab at their disagreement and the woman's idea of the burden of command. Lucia had already tried to argue with her on that front earlier, that it didn't fall to Thea, that if one of them perished this day the fault and blame would fall upon them all. This was why attempting to capture the creature, or creatures, was such a poor decision to her. If Lucia went along with something that resulted in a loss that she could have otherwise objected to, she was not the type to cope via pointing the finger at Thea or someone else. No, it would be her fault as much as anyone else's for not standing against it in the first place.

There was also the fact that capturing it wasn't their main objective, removing the beasts so that they could not prey on the town and interrupt the industry of it. To relocate the beasts in a way that there would not be risk of the creatures returning would require an extensive detour. There was also the fact that by relocating them, they were potentially putting in danger anyone else that may inhabit the near area or pass through it. It was simply better for everyone involved, everyone, to remove the threats entirely.

Of course, Lucia had about given up on trying to articulate this. Especially since the deed was done, at least as far as the creatures' lives were concerned.

Yet, here she was talking again.

"Hysydice," Lucia spoke up finally. "For the record, less any of my words are misconstrued today, my intentions behind my urgings earlier was not to chastise you. Sen knocked Falco to the ground with one punch, looked as though she was contemplating doing the same to me when we first encountered her, and was relatively unconcerned with those creatures. If your words incited a response from her, none of us would be able to help. That is why I urged you to quiet, to avoid escalating a situation we could not react to."

She wasn't saying that Sen was a brute that would so easily escalate to violence. However, she could be.

"As was Thea's intent, all of my words, warnings, and rebellions today were with the intention of keeping everyone present relatively unscathed while still servicing our goals," Lucia stated, pushing herself up from a seated position before following in Thea's footsteps. "I hope to make that clear this time..."

@Team A

Celandine_2.png

Sakura's ears perked up when Thea whistled at the group for attention to address the situation about Hyss and Risax. While the others have got words to say about this matter, Sakura elected to stay silent, knowing that what will she say would have conveyed the same meaning as the rest. When all is said and done however, Sakura couldn't help but feel sorry for Hyss after she's been ordered to take the first watch. "Hey, Hyss..." Sakura called as she approached her "Don't feel so bad. I mean, to be perfectly honest, none of us have ever saw it coming. I don't know if it was your basic instinct telling you to stay where you are or Aurelia pulling some strings that prevented you from coming along, in the end we're all here, and that's what totally matters."

And with everything said and done, Sakura gave Hyss a comforting hug in an attempt to lighten her up, or at least, pour our her guilt if she felt to. "Say..." Sakura spoke "Since you'll be the first to patrol, if you want I can lend you my bow if you know how. I can teach you how to use it if you don't know how. The choice is up to you, but I really do recommend it to make patrolling a lot more easier for you than to rush into anything that moves."

AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Reinhardt Reinhardt RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko

1669982706020.png
Interaction: @Team B
Immediately after touching the leaf, the merchant would start hearing a voice from seemingly out of nowhere. Now, either there was something else in his breakfast that he didnt know about, or this was some form of messaging magic. The latter seemed more likely. He immediately recognized the voice as Arien's and concentrated on what had to say to him. There was a lot to unpack but thankfully all those years of sitting through bi-annual reports allowed him to pick apart the most important parts of the message and write them down in his notebook.

It was a pleasant surprise, to hear him say that he was willing to let the group tackle this matter mostly on their own. Perhaps he saw some potential in this party. That and he likely already knew what was going on with the warehouses and believed that it was manageable based on what he believed the group is capable of. Additionally, transport had already been prepared beforehand, at the guild expense apparently. Well, he was going to claim such expenses from the guild anyways, but nonetheless, Talio at least appreciated it. He was happy to know that Arien was willing to suggest his quartine methods to clients, opening up possible business opportunities from his end.

Now it was time to relay the message. If the rest of the party were awake at this point, they would hear his briefing. "Arien left us a message, in the form of a magical leaf that contained his voice." He spoke turning his attention to the group while looking at zest hoping that he will vouch for him and not make him look like a lunatic. And so, Talio did his best to reiterate what had been said by Arien, almost word by word, not missing any details no matter how trivial it seemed. While to some, he it may have been tad boring, for the merchant, it was important for him to be thorough with passing on Arien message.

"And that's it. It seems he has given us an opportunity to prove ourselves, let us not waste it. that said, I think its important for us to understand if and when we should ask for his help. That said, if he is confident enough to leave us to deal with it, I believe it is well within our capabilities." Talio spoke to his teammates, sharing his line of thought regarding why Arien has done so. "In any case, let's go over the game plan one more time before we depart." Talio wasn't exactly the leader type but in this case, he felt that someone had to step up as one, unless they wanted to be led, by a senior bird. But then again, Zest is probably no ordinary bird.

"As I said before, I think a partner system would help us cover more ground in one warehouse while also having each other's backs. Alternatively, we could all go in as one group and stick close. It would likely take longer to finish the entire warehouse, but it is undoubtedly the much safer option." Talio laid out his plan from before once more while inspecting the papers left by Arien. This time, Talio was prepared for another stockeater investation, that said, it was there was anything else, he could probably improvise something with what he had. "As soon as we arrive at the warehouse, I plan on using one of the bait immediately, that way, we'll know if the place is infested from the start, and deal with it accordingly."

Thea & Lucia

As Lucia reached where Thea found solitude, she internally sighed before making her presence known. “Thea, a word?” She spoke, a hand resting upon her slightly jutted hip. “I would like to resolve this, or attempt to at least.”

“Resolve what?” Says the Knight as she undoes her armored boots, pulling a cleaning cloth from her pack with new socks. “I am a little surprised you would come first, I expected the Urchin. If this is about healing Hyss, I’ll do it later.”

Lucia narrowed her eyes a bit at that. “Thea, I am not daft. Or do you mean to pretend that the disrupting you was not in part targeted at me and the honor our job request was not totally pointed toward me?” She questioned tiredly.

“Then if you know that, why are you here? You got your pound of flesh and nothing major happened, I was the one to kill one as well. It is on me to explain to the Mayor why this happened.” Thea says flatly.

Lucia stared at her for a few moments before speaking up dryly. “Thea. What is your understanding for why I hold such disdain for attempting to capture the creature?”

“You wished for an easier plan of no risk. It may keep you around a lot longer, but the guild will have little use for it.” Thea says in response, with a sigh.
Lucia sighed and shook her head slightly at that. "That is what I wish to resolve," She said, stepping forward toward the other. "I am under no delusions that this work carries risk Thea. Did you not hear me when I told the beast-woman that I didn't want her to aid us? That I wanted us to complete the work on our own? The beast was no threat to her. If I wanted no risk it would've been better to strike a deal with her."

It was clear the two didn't understand each other, and despite her irritation, the "urchin's" speech gave her a final attempt to try.

"You said your decisions were meant to keep us safe while catering to the mission, which was my intent in my objections," Lucia stated calmly. "Our objective is to get rid of the beast so the townspeople are safe and the logging industry can continue, yes? That is our quest. We were asked to attempt to capture it, which I disagree with for a multitude of reasons. The first, is that it poses a risk of serious injury or death in not aiming to kill it from the very beginning. The second is that it poses a threat to our primary objective."

The elf held one finger, then a second before continuing. "Relocating it would require significant effort with no guarantee it would not return or risk harming another. It's suspicious enough that a supposed mythological beast all thought imagined or extinct only suddenly appears and here no less. Perhaps I did not articulate this well originally, however I'm not trying to disrespect you or be difficult for the sake of it."

“I know that Lucia.” Thea says in short of the explanation, staring at the other as she lets out another tired sigh. “And as I said from the start, I did not expect us to be able to handle that request and my plan was to hand it off to those scientists, or to bring it to a zoo. However, there is a difference in turning down the request after attempting it, rather than just killing it. Which it ended up being. And yet more remains to this job.”

“Hand it off, because the guild and the town has shown they are amply prepared to deal with it?” Lucy retorted with folded arms. “I understand that you wish to try and attempt to honor the wish of the one paying for us, but if that request endangers others even further, is that really something we can go along with or attempt to?” The pairs faces said it all, they still were not finding common ground, perhaps for one thing. “Though that much we agree on. There is worth in investigating what brought these things here, though I suppose Sen will part with what information she has on the matter that may enlighten the rest of us.”

“Lucia. We can’t stay as we are. If we cannot even attempt what we are being paid for then we’ll never move beyond where we are. I plan to climb these ranks. You should ask why you are here.” Thea says in response at the mention of being endangered. “And yes, but you may find in search for those answers we end up in danger far greater than this. Do you wish to continue?”

“Apparently, you don’t know that then, Thea,” Lucia replied again, a bit more sharply. “As you still seem to think the basis for my rationale is hiding away from all danger. It is not. You spoke of the burden of command earlier and perhaps I am not a soldier, but I find that thinking entirely wrong, as if one of us were to fall it does not lay upon your shoulders alone. I will not cope by pointing the finger at you or whomever holds seniority to relieve myself of guilt. I cannot. I also cannot simply follow a prerogative to which I wholly believe will result in such negative consequences as I do now.”

“And do you think the rest of them will do that as well? That they will just leave it be or see it as the fault of all? Should I point out the faults in all of them? And yes, most of your worries do seem to revolve around taking the least dangerous path.” Thea looks at the other after rolling her shoulder, as she makes to unlatch her armored boot protectors and lower grieves. “And what negative consequences might that be?”

“If they dared to vocally I would be arguing with them and not you,” Lucia remarked in turn. “The negative consequences I already iterated. Our primary objective is keeping the creatures from disrupting the town and its industry, not capturing them. That was a request, a request which could easily lead to not only ourselves being harmed or killed, but even in the case we succeed, the creatures could as easily kill again. Would you honestly be able to shrug your shoulders in such a case and push off all responsibility onto the town, or the guild, or the zoo, if it does when we could have prevented it?”

“You don’t get it do you?” Thea says with a chuckle. “Sen was here should we have failed. The guild always considered it possible. This mission is a keystone in elevating us. Before it is over a few of us will be harmed. And our primary objective was to “remove” the beast. You and the rest that jumped on this job did so as you took that to mean killing. I am not sure why you are over here right now, but I will not take back the fact I set a plan in motion to attempt a capture. And before you go on about harm to others, I offered myself up to be the bait.”

“And what if Sen failed, Thea? I treated this mission as if we do not have a safety net because we should not rely upon one and will scarcely have one in the future, if ever. And I do not know why you stick to the point of you acting as bait or taking the front, as if an animal is honorbound to face you rather than turn and strike others, as it evidently did during our encounter. This was never a situation you could shoulder everything in.” Scoffing a bit afterward, the Caskarieth shook her head in exasperation, speaking once more before turning to leave. “Though yes, I no longer know why I attempted to level with you. Do as you’re told and asked by all who beckon you with coin, I will not abide by frankly imbecilic requests to the detriment of all those involved.”

“I have confidence in the Guild. You spoke of it as you knew it, an uncle if I recall.” With that Thea stares at the other as she retreats. “I do as duty demands, no more, no less. We killed the beast as you wished, you and the others should be celebrating. And I can shoulder much as I must. As to the beast, it would face me after I got a good hit in.”

“Your words are just that as those men said. Words. If you are more than a snobby noble then I would test your resolve, a duel with fists and feet, lest you wish for steel. Follow me to the edge of the encampment, we’ll see just what worth that Uncle put into you and into these convictions. Or is an easy battle all you seek?”
With that Thea gives up fixing up her armor and rolls her neck side to side, seeing if the other would accept or cower off.

Lucia did not intend to respond to the words stated, believing full well that the woman’s bull-headedness would lead to further disagreements and wasted breath. However, at the woman’s words of her uncle and status, she paused in her step and smiled before turning slowly. Though it was not a smile of glee or happiness, but one of venom.

“A snobby noble? Ah yes, because I don’t want to be in the sewer, I don’t want to take vitriol from peasants, and I care not to play a proper little toy soldier. Very well. Perhaps some rational-thinking can be hammered into that bull-head of yours,” Lucia growled, fiddling with the latches and fixations of her gauntlets to remove them and then lay them down before moving onto the greaves.

“And here I expected you to keep the Mittens as they were called. Very well.” With that said Thea went to her own respective pairs, removing them in kind. “Yes, I would say some of those apply, and I find fists to be more honest… Something I wonder about your words.”

And with that Thea waits for her to be through as she beckons her to follow. At least most of the camp seemed to be busy with their own things at present.

“Yes, my mittens that aided in felling the creature, and mittens said uncle who was a C-rank taught me to use,” Lucia said with a roll of her eyes as she followed. “And I have not deceived you, nor anyone here, once. Ah, but I suppose coming from a dishonest noble, you shant believe that?”

“Then what is the story behind your eyepatch?” Thea says pointedly. “And a C rank, same as my father.” With that the pair were out behind the camp, yet not far away, a nice clearing.

“Very subtle, Thea, though none of your concern,” Lucia remarked dryly.

“We shall see. Though speaking of seeing, let’s begin.” With that Thea Feints with an open strike towards the gut of Lucia along the path of her good eye but pulls away with a rising of her right leg into a sweeping knee strike at the gut.

Lucia brought her hands up to ready. “Already going for my blindspot. What happened to a knight’s honor?” She questioned sarcastically, striking her forearm against the incoming leg to brace against it, then stepping forward with a palm strike toward Thea’s chest.

“There is honor and then there is stupidity. Though I’m fully aware of that to some, I lean towards the latter. Honor and redemption are very heavy things.”

As a Thud resounded from her chest, Thea had not taken off her upper plate. “And what was that about stupidity?”

“Then what of this?” Lucia questioned smugly as her left arm snaked around to hook her leg as the foot that stepped forward slid under the knight’s other. “Though yes, you certainly do lean toward the latter.”

As the other tries to trip her up, Thea leans inwards to catch the other to bring her down in kind. “Smart enough to take you with me!”

“I’m still on top of you, imbecile!” Lucia remarked, positioning herself over Thea’s waist and rearing back a fist.

Thea for her part says nothing as she lashes out with a punch from her right arm, aiming for a hook while the other was so close. If she wanted to fight, Thea was fine with this they could trade blows, she could take the damage, could the noble? “Heh.”

Lucia for her part seems to be willing for the trade, whether trying to prove herself or simply not caring due to the irritation building up. Bracing, batting away, and taking strikes from her superior position, the Caskarieth returned each punch with one of her own, the human fighter leans forward during one of the punches, to headbut Lucia in exchange as she reaches up with her right hand to grab the other by the side of the head to throw her off, catching on the eyepatch string briefly.

The force from the headbut momentarily debilitated Lucia, enough to not immediately notice the eyepatch loosen as she rolled off. As her eyes fluttered open momentarily, one red and one blue, she realized her missing apparel and shut her left eye whilst clutching it with her hand in a panic. The Caskarieth seemed stunned before breaking out of it and throwing a kick at Thea’s gut to push her away.

“What..” Thea took notice of the blue eye as she filed things to her brain… In elfs wasn’t that a trait of… As the kick lands home, Thea stops fighting and looks back at the other. “So I was wrong… That life could never have been yours in any case, but why hide it now? What happened to your Uncle?”

It took the Caskarieth a moment to respond, her expression half covered but the portion that was visible displayed obvious anger. “Yes… You were wrong,” She replied coldly, standing up and taking the eye covering back before affixing it in its place again. “Why would I not? So I can have it thrown in my face wherever I tread? Make no mistake, I did not come here for an easy life. I aim to rise, above my family and everyone else. I don’t want an easy victory—I want an indisputable first place.”

Growling that out, Lucia let out a huff, organizing some of her now disheveled hair less she more resemble Sen. “And what do you think, Thea? He was a C-rank Kriegslowen… and now he is not.”

“You should not let it define you. We have a former bandit of all things helping us. A Kriegslowen…” A pause as if struck by revelation that was replaced with revulsion.

“A Kriegslowen should not be bound to the past and connections. But even I stumble on that. I do all I have done as my father was also C ranked, I faltered in my duties and the Goddess demanded him as a lesson. A lesson, that I must be more. I will not speak of your heritage to anyone, though I would like to say you should not hide it, I myself cannot stop chasing after a ghost.” Thea said with a pause before continuing.

“That being said, your fists are adequate enough, I’ll try putting trust into you and the rest with finishing this job. Do not make me regret this.”

Lucia could not say she believed the promise, but there was little choice in the matter. Whatever happened, would happen. Regardless, the woman was as well urged by ghosts. Lucia wouldn’t fault her for that as a person, though she would no less hold her tongue. She scoffed at the supposed compliment before replying. “Likewise… I will make my way back now. You should heal Hysydice when you return.”

“Aye, I can do that.”

Thea Schuerer

With the little fight out of the way, Thea felt much better about herself and planned to keep to her word on all things she said this day. Brushing mud and dirt from her back and bottom, Thea shrugs it off, she wasn't surprised the pugilist was good at fist fighting. Still not like either was worse for the wear. In a manner this was shown that they had no real animosity towards one another... Though a means to fixate a target on herself for sure, could that be done with spell or equipment? It was something to consider later, when her mind was not burdened with thoughts of her family. Still, the knight had a job to do.

Going back to camp, she made way for her tent and equipment and calls out with a yell; "HYSS! Come to my tent, your wounds need tending!"

Interactions: EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 Topless Topless

Last edited:

Falco's face shifted from shock to resignation as Thea spoke. She was the one he most hoped to reach. Despite his sincere apology to Hyss, he never expected his words to have any lasting affect on the scaly beastkin. But Thea... he had really hoped to bring her some degree of solace or at least a shift in perspective. Instead, he had missed the mark entirely.

Control? Thea had many faults, but Falco never suspected her sternness was rooted in a desire to control or wield her authority as a weapon. But, due to her upbringing, she clung to rules and dogma any time she felt threatened. In his eyes, the harder she pushed for order, the weaker it made her appear. She didn't know how to reach into chaos and seize victory.

The moment she said they knew nothing of her, Falco began to speak. He wanted to know more about her --about all of them-- but Thea rose to leave before the words even had a chance to form on his lips. As if the armor wasn't enough, she needed distance now. Another layer of protection. Another shell to hide behind. His disappointment grew as she retreated, barking orders along the way, as if she held any power anymore.

Hyss spoke next and Falco braced for the worst but, to his surprise, she humbled herself and apologized, admitting that her actions were foolish and inconsiderate. Falco never expected to hear that today. And, thank Aurelia she did, for he doubted he could take any more negativity, apathy, or finger-pointing.

When Lucia spoke, he only felt hollow inside, as if she had missed the point. She had kind words for Hyss, but seemed defensive in all other aspects of her speech, seeking to explain her actions, rather than own them. I'm not a dumb peasant, Falco thought. I know you want the same thing we do. That's why it's so frustrating...

He never doubted Lucia's bravery or convictions. He believed every word she said when she spoke of slaying the beast they were aiming to capture. Which is why he didn't understand why someone who has so much more to offer than 'punch punch punch' seemed so intent on doing only that. Clearly the playful banter they had exchanged on previous outings was not the norm and now he was afraid to make even the slightest joke in her presence. The moment her ego was wounded, Lucia became nearly as savage as Sen.

As she marched over to Thea and the two began to speak, Falco held his breath. Here we go again, he thought. Only two things kept him planted on his log: the first was that he doubted anything he could say or do would matter to either of them. And the second was that it really wasn't his damned business. Thea had separated herself from the group for a reason. And Falco had been kicked in the balls enough times to know that when a girl wishes to be left alone, you had better leave her alone! And here were two of them, wearing armored boots, no less! No thanks, he thought, squirming uncomfortably at the mental image.

But, as passions began to rise and the two girls shed their gloves, obviously gearing up for a more physical 'discussion,' Falco immediately stood. "Hey. Hey!" he said, but only moved half a step before he felt a bushel of kindling rap him on the shoulder. He had been disciplined by enough ruler-wielding church marms that his body instinctively sat back down.

"Sit. You tried it your way, kid, now let 'em do it theirs," Sen said, brandishing the offending bushel of twigs and branches while, under her other arm, she held an iron pot. "Y'all were talkin' 'bout feelings and shit, so I went and took care o' the wood for ya. You're welcome," she said, tossing the firewood at his feet. "I figured you wouldn't want me in that pity party... but I was listenin' and I think I heard a proper apology somewhere in there," she said, her eyes briefly locking on Hyss, as she set down the pot and removed its lid, revealing the carved remains of some type of pig or hog, still steaming.

"Look, I don't forgive you. But that's life, kid. People won't just forget what ya said, 'cuz you get all soft-spoken and bow yer head and say ‘I’m weely weely sowwy,'" Sen said to her. "You showed your ass today. I showed mine, too. And now we're movin' on. Eat," she said, jabbing her finger at the pot.

As she spoke, Falco's gaze continued to follow Lucia and Thea as they walked away to the edge of the logging camp and began to square up for a fight. He snapped back to Sen, who was now casually selecting a chunk of meat for herself. "Are you seriously not gonna do something about this?"

"Long as they don't kill each other, it ain't my business or yours. They seem pretty calm 'bout it. They ain't hair-pullin' and eye-gougin'... yet," she said, before taking a seat. Marcel quickly ran to her arms and she set him on her lap while she shredded her portion of the meat into tiny pieces to feed to him. "My money's on the big girl. The tall one, not the titty monster." Her attention suddenly snapped to Hyss: "By the way, we actually got somethin' in common, me an' you," Sen said. She snapped her fingers at Falco. "What did you call her a minute ago? Hizzy-something..."

"Hysydice," he said, annoyed. He wasn't sure where she was going with this, but was sure he wouldn't like it. "Say the whole thing. It's rude to-"

"No it ain't. Look, we both got names that sound like somebody shoved a dictionary through a meat grinder. Xchenzaerys of Hyazar," Sen said, gesturing to herself. "'Xchen,' for short. I don't know when it became 'Sen,' but if the shoe fits..." she smiled and shrugged. "A word of advice --I know you don't like advice, but whatever-- don't make folks say the whole thing. They're just gonna piss you off and you're gonna piss them off and yadda yadda yadda," she gestured vaguely. "Get far enough in this line of work and your true name fades away. 'Sen, the Swordbreaker,'" she chuckled. "You run through a basillisk with half a zweihander and folks start callin' ya this and that. Anyway, 'Hyazar' was my clan name. We were riders, nomads. I learned to shoot a bow the same day I learned to walk upright. Not gonna lie, I miss it sometimes," she nodded respectfully at Sakura, then nudged Falco so hard she nearly knocked him over. "See, I'm sharing. Finding common ground."

"Great," he groaned, unenthusiastically. Though, to be fair, she did seem like she meant it. But, by now, Thea and Lucia were trading blows and his attention was on that, not Sen's newfound civility. It felt as if she was trying to distract him.

Both girls went down to the ground, with Lucia on top. "Hmph. Glad I didn't put money on it..." Sen remarked as they traded a few hits and then things began to settle down. After a few seconds, the fighting appeared to be mostly over and the pair were merely talking, though the group at the campfire couldn't hear a word of it. Soon, they parted ways with Lucia heading toward the campfire first and Thea a few moments later. “See, all’s well that ends well,” Sen added, just before Thea’s call to Hyss echoed through the stillness of the evening air.

Interaction(s): RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun (Thea) / EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen (Lucia) / Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko (Hyss) / Topless Topless (Sakura) / Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 (Risax)

Last edited:
hyss-banner2-png.999406

Currently: Getting healing
Thinking: "Learn the bow? Intriguing."

Interacting: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse @RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Topless Topless
Mentions:

It was Lucia's turn to attempt to explain herself. All Hyss heard was an explanation of being a pushover; it was okay to be a pushover. Everyone was a pushover. But Hyss didn't stir any pot and merely dipped her head to Lucia in acknowledgement, not commenting.

"It's Hysydice!" she called after Thea who had just called to her. Sakura and now it was Falco's turn, answering Sen.

"No, it's Hy... hmrmm.." Even trying to correct him, them, whoever at this stage was simply discouraging. So, as Sen said to just leave it, in that moment, Hyss was already leaving it. To be honest Sen's -erm- name was harder to pronounce than her own, but if the big woman wanted to bond over that little fact, Hyss wasn't about to correct her or argue.

The sudden hug made Hyss tense up in surprise, but then the Beastkin relaxed. The last time she had been hugged... Well, was from mother. It made her miss her family. The warmth was unusual, but not so unwelcome to the snake. As she was enjoying the hug, Sakura made an interesting note. Instinct? Very well could've been, Hyss always prided herself on good instincts. Then, Hyss glanced at the fox's bow. This was an opportunity. Who would ignore learning the use of such a useful weapon? "Hm, sure. I've never used a bow before. I'd like to learn." The girl answered, eager to be instructed by Sakura in the way of the bow. Sen said she could use one, but it was Sakura who offered, so.. Her eyes flicked over towards Thea's tent, and she brushed her hand across her chest. "The beast did a number on my scales.. Those were some really sharp claws. So, after Thea heals me.."

"- Though I am used to foraging on my own, I shall eat in a moment."
Hyss also spoke to Sen and the boy next to her. "I will be right back.."

With that, the snake dipped out of the fox's embrace and trudged over to Thea's tent. Speaking loud enough upon nearing the tent, she said, "Thea, you offered some healing magic? Unfh.. I would appreciate it..."

74E5B8E3-09F9-4EE5-BC92-F2A178FF75C8.jpeg

Sometimes, all a guy needs is a hot meal and a good night’s sleep to get back into tip-top shape.

Unfortunately Endymion only gets about 60% there, being woken in the depth of his sleep cycle by what he figured to be a mosquito biting his cheek; he couldn’t really tell, brain still being in between the realms of waking and sleep.

He’d fallen asleep in his dayclothes again. Not a huge deal, and it happened more often than not, but he still frowns a little bit to himself when he peels himself out of bed and fails to pat the creases out of his shirt. Whatever. He’s not here to look pretty, he’s here to… smush bugs, apparently, and nobody looks good doing that. Except his team; they all kind of looked pretty cool yesterday. So maybe it’s just him.

“I really need to learn some new tricks,” Endymion says out loud to nobody. His arcanizer says nothing back. Predictable.

“….Ah, got it,” he tells Talio, peering around him at the shrivelled leaf and very much not getting it. Still, he can appreciate a good yes, and? sort of situation.

“Er, so, if we still have two more warehouses that need investigating, I have to agree that splitting up would be best. I don’t know about the rest of you guys but I’m not feeling super into spending the rest of the week crushing bugs; I’d rather get the mission done and over with. Besides, now that we know a little bit more about what we’re doing, we won’t be taken by surprise. Split groups should be just fine.

“….Now, did we happen to have any preferences for group division? I, um, would much enjoy being paired with someone who has something very sharp or very heavy to swing around; I’ll do my best with what I’ve got, for sure, but I don’t think quick thinking alone is going to fight off a horde of bugs if they start coming at us, ehe,” he sweatdrops.

TreasureSniper TreasureSniper @/All

Risax looked over at Thea now that the rest of the group had arrived she'd more or less made his point for him and he was thankful for her understanding of his situation still it wasn't good enough for him that he'd put people in danger. "you are correct Thea, but I should have stayed closer with the group, but maneuvering was somewhat hard so i opped to at least bring up the rear and hopefully dissuade the beast form attacked up form behind admittedly.. i do blame myself for not informing you all.." he'd give a small bow and a frown feeling it necessary to admit to some of the fault here" he'd say with a big rather disappointed sigh as he felt bad about the situation. "on the brightside.. the beast is down.. even if that not what we intended to begin with.." he added moving over to get something to eat he didn't have much more to say beyond feeling bad about what he'd done.. even if it wasnt his fault entirly..

celandine_5-png.1000258

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

With a light huff, Lucia made her way to the campfire and pot about as nonchalantly as one could having just come out of a fight. She was still a bit flustered, though she had fixed her appearance well enough as it was before the disagreement with Thea. Unlike the other, the Caskarieth didn't feel better. Thea's word was trustworthy, she believed that, especially with how stubborn the woman was. However still, it didn't didn't sit right with Lucia.

Pausing at the pot of meat, she peered inside momentarily before hesitantly grasping at a rib of some kind with the caution of one that had never eaten without utensils before. Then, she took a seat. By now the fatigue was setting in, the mental more than the physical, and so the noble couldn't even find the energy to mentally gripe about such trivial matters.

"I appreciate the food. Thank you," She expressed to Sen before hesitantly taking a bite. It was only polite. Once again, Lucia didn't look like she had ever eaten this way before, however she also didn't look as though she cared much either. Her face expressed tiredness, and her head was tilted down slightly, not exactly hiding her face but certainly not looking to meet anyone else's. For how that fight went, the elf did not feel like a victor.

@Team A

Thea Schuerer

With that said, Hyss seemed a little mad about her full name not being used, a part of the knight was pleased by this, though not like she could say the name correctly in the first place. Still the beast folk girl did come, with a slight, was that hesitancy? Either way, Thea was in a much better mood than before, as she found one with at least a little in common with, the fight also was a draw as far as Thea saw it. Nodding her head in kind, the knight extends her left hand, "Waters of life, mend flesh and patch anew! Soothing Waters!"

With that a twirling vortex becomes an orb of water glows blue and dissipates as Thea passes her hand over the general area of Hyss's wounds, a warm glow emits, pulses and vanishes, "soaking" through the bandaging. Already flesh was being mended, or in this case scales, as the rejuvenate nature of the spell takes hold. Satisfied she gives a nod of her head and lowers her left hand.

"Just keep in mind, this level of spell cannot take away pain, nor mend deep wounds. Bare that in mind and I really should think of bringing pain killers in my kit, hmm.." With that said, Thea leaves to join the rest at the camp, bringing her tote sack as well. Watching Lucia, Thea was unsure of what to say or do, it seemed that secret was one that weighed heavily on her. And to the knight's amusement the rich girl wasn't so bad off in her life, least given she seemed like a child unsure of how to eat this way.

"I offer bread, nuts, and spread should any wish for something to go with the meat. Any of the rest with things to offer from today's rations let us turn this into a meal. I thank you for this Sen." Having not been partial to the other conversations she didn't know about her name. "Ah on that note, are the hunters still in camp or did they make way for town?" She asks of, well whoever that knew. Saying a silent prayer, the woman reaches in with her spreading knife for a portion of the meat and waits to see what the others will do. Catching her gaze on Risax as she did so she calls out to him,

"Risax, do not think too much on what happened today. From here on I'll be keeping you out of trees. Well provided what we know." Thea seemed a bit better than how she had before, likely to put Falco more at ease.

lolispearmen.jpg
Current Location: Guild Hall
"Main team?" Cressey repeated back at Lori, her brow raised in interest at the bird's sudden curiosity, before furrowing in consideration at how best to answer her sudden barrage of queries.
"No...I wouldn't say that. They're just the group of initiates I happened to be a part of. As far as I'm aware, there are no real 'teams' within the guild. You'll all probably find yourselves working alongside them at some point eventually."
"...And as for what they're like...well..."
Cressey hesitated at her next question, her mind tracing back on all of her experiences with her other guildmates; fighting in the sewers with Falco and Sakura, lugging heavy loads of supplies to the Aurelian church alongside Thea, discovering Hysydice hiding within an air vent by complete happenstance while cleaning around the guild, bartering with Risax in the marketplace, loudly arguing with Lucia over where best to search for a missing cat...
"They...They're not bad people..." Cressey concluded with solemnity, the smallest hint of a wistful smile on her face as she thought back on all of the new, fascinating perspectives she'd found in the past few months, sights and places she could have only scarcely imagined in her old home.
"...Except for the long-haired one who calls himself 'Falco,' you should watch yourself around him..." she warns, her joviality suddenly disappearing like dust in the wind as she leaned forward towards the two beastkin girls in the group, lowering her voice to a harsh whisper that was still very much audible to all others present at the table.
"He'll try to grab your tail..."

As the night went on, more food was shared between the guildmates, more stories and gossip of past jobs, and experiences.

Soon enough, it was time for them to rest for the coming morning, and Cressey followed suit with her other guildmates, withdrawing into her room, and plopping her body down onto the scratchy bundle of hay and cloth that was to serve as her bed for the evening as the exhaustion of the day finally caught up to her, weighing down every muscle in her body with lead.
Despite the alluring, paralytic pull of slumber sinking into her body, however, Cressey found her eyelids unable to stay shut, her mind racing with wild thoughts.
"Will you be leaving us after this job ends?" the question resounded in her ears.
It was a tough question; what was she going to do in the future? Continue with these meagre jobs? Try to climb the ranks until she reached the top?
And what then? Stay there, or would she finally go back home? What was she doing? What was she going to do?
"Damnit..." she sighed to herself.
"How am I ever going to fall asleep like this?"
Once more, she closed her eyes, and tried force them to stay closed.
Less than five minutes later, she fell into slumber, out like a spent torch.

---

One would think that a young lady of such fairness and ambiguously noble standing as Cressey would show unprecedented grace and poise in everything that they did, but as Lori awoke, she would come upon quite an unbelievable sight; Cressey, still deep in the clutches of sleep, snoring with her mouth agape like dormant, growling beast. Dressed in only her smallclothes, her arms and legs were sprawled out haphazardly across the bed of hay, her hair unbound and disheveled, her blankets and pillows strewn about in various nonsensical places after a night full of fitful, restless slumber.
As Lori edged closer towards the sleeping child, and took a hold of her cheek, Cressey's raucous grumbling snore seemed to falter for a second, seeming to respond to her touch and to her soft, singsong voice.
A second later, however, her body involuntarily twisted out of her grip, and an unconsciously clenched fist rose to nearly take the birdkin's head off with a vicious uppercut.
Now resting on her side, her body turned away from Lori, Cressey's snoring resumed once more, until the birdkin left her to resume her dream in peace.
---
Eventually, she awoke, the flashing of lights, the sounds of strange, unnatural spellcraft, and the myriad of voices leaking in from the crack in her now ajar door pulling her sluggish mind back to the land of the living.
After foisting her body out of bed, and working her way back into her adventuring gear, she trudged her way out into the inn's main hall, just in time to see Talio conversing with the ephemeral, disembodied voice of Arnold, which seemed to be coming from the man's little pet bird, perched atop an arrow embedded in the wall.
For a brief moment, Cressey wondered if the bizarre sight was the product of some strange, twisted dream, and she was still asleep, before recalling that such feats were now very much possible, thanks to that Caskaerith and her witchery.
Her mind was still slow, still half-awake, half-asleep, half-listening to the conversation as she rubbed at her weary eyes.
She perked up however, when the high-ranked guild member revealed that he had evidentially taken her words the night prior to heart, and was going to attempt to go forward with her plan of quarantine.
A feeling of pride swelled in her chest that her words would hold such sway!
...Though, there was a slight tinge of bitter sweetness to the feeling. She hadn't meant to wound poor Alan's feelings.
Nonetheless, it meant that they were free to pursue the other warehouses and finish their task without having to worry about anything else unsavory brewing in their footsteps.
After a bit more deliberation on the task at hand, Arland's voice faded, the mysterious light fading with it, leaving the group of new initiates alone in the hallway to plan their next move.
"Agreed," Cressey nodded in agreement with the Valgemian merchant's suggestion of splitting into groups to tackle the next set of warehouses.
However, there was a slight problem...
"...But there is only five among us, an odd number. Which means we'll have to split the groups unevenly..."
After putting her hand to her chin in thought, and weighing her options, she suggests, "Talio, I believe you and Lori should be capable of handling yourselves together. Endymion can assist me with the business of cataloguing inventory; he seems far more suited to the work than I am."
A harsh exhale blows through her nose as she crosses her arms across her chest, her eyes cast to the side in hesitant thought.
"That just leaves Lupa..." lowering her voice to a concerned whisper, she adds, "...But I think she may be hiding some injuries form our prior escape."
Pounding a fist to her puffed out chest reassuringly, and flashing a smug, self confident smirk, Cressey proudly states, "Well, if that's the case, I can just watch over the both of you, and make sure neither of you come to any further harm! After all that's just the good, generous, wonderful, amazing senior guildmate that I am!"

Interacting:
Arien ( Reinhardt Reinhardt )
Talio ( TreasureSniper TreasureSniper )
Lori ( ERode ERode )
Endymion ( lunar_moth lunar_moth )
Lupa ( Silver Wolf Silver Wolf )

Last edited:
Lupa_Banner.jpg
Nearby/Interactions: Cressey ( King Crimson King Crimson ), Endymion ( lunar_moth lunar_moth ), Lori ( ERode ERode ), Talio ( TreasureSniper TreasureSniper ), Reinhardt Reinhardt (GM)

As Lupa listened to Cressey talk about one of compatriots and added the tail bit, Lupa's imagery was rather innocent. It sounded like this Falco person liked fluffy things, from the warning alone anyways. She couldn't blame anyone, she's had her tail fluffed before and enjoyed it. Well, regardless she joined in on the merrymaking and nursed her ale gently, though the tint on her cheeks would easily betray her slow nursing. It wasn't much, and it didn't have a strong effect, but it did noticeably loosen her up. Her tail thumped and wagged along with her ears wiggling as she listened to and recited stories.

Most of Lupa's stories had to deal with small local mysteries around various districts or petty crimes she had to stop. She didn't burden anyone with serious topics from her time as a city guard or her days training under her adoptive father, but in all fairness the stories she gave painted a much different light than what she had recently experienced. It wasn't as though she was so keen on Hedwig having foul play without reason, especially after the fact she had been indeed kicked out of service. This thought haunted her a little as she turned to the wall in her bed. While she did try to remain optimistic, she had to think realistically too. How much would this job pay, would she be able to afford food without relying on the good will of her family? These sorts of questions pervaded her mind as she tried to sleep, but just as a creature of habit would, she was hugging her own tail and softly breathing into it within the hour she crashed on her bed, pink tint still visible on her cheeks from the single ale she had earlier in the evening.

When she came to, a pinch on her cheek swiftly woke her up and some of her instincts kicked in. Within seconds of Lori touching her her tail bristled slightly and her hands subcontiously reached for a dagger that wasn't there. Thankfully, she was still holding her tail and that was enough, but Lori's voice grounded her back to reality. She mumbled slightly before rolling up and hopped off her bed before sifting through her supplies to find her preferred brush.

In the meantime she just quietly brushed her hair and tail, with the latter leaving a small deal of shedding at the base of her bed. After that she began buckling up her uniform, not after checking her wounds first, however. She was quite relieved to see scabs had already filled the cuts with little sign of infection and took a few test flexes. Some minor pain, but she would recover easily. It definitely beat getting stabbed. It also certainly beat wound infections, which were a whole other form of torture.

Either way, by the time she finally finished up she walked in to hear the important parts summarized by Talio and the proposals put in place. Though she had little issue with it, she did have one thing to say.

"First off, my injuries are minor. While fresh, they did indeed impact my performance, that should not be the case today. If I had anticipated armored opponents, I would have brought an appropriate weapon, but as it stands my rapier and dagger will do. The only problem I do have with this is the lack of formation contingencies should the warehouse be infested. I have no problem covering a retreat, but I think we could take advantage of their cannibalistic nature. So long as we're careful not to get their...innards on our bodies or get injured, the small ones should have minimal interest, and then those of us with combat prowess can pick off the larger Holzekts, should they appear of course. Lastly, I would like to investigate the warehouse thoroughly for unusual signs. Loose floorboards, carpets covering sections of the floor, or perhaps more of those mysterious, awful, rotting rags should they also be present. Why would you leave something like that in a warehouse, it would only attract pests..."

"Well, I have nothing more to say on the matter, so I suggest we make a plan of action. Do we eat or do work first? I personally have no preference either way."

Last edited:

Celandine_2.png

Sakura gave a slight nod as Hyss went to get her wounds healed. Until then, it seemed that Sent cooked up dinner to mend the tired and weary. Good call cause Sakura sure do need some meat. She took a seat and a reasonable portion of the cooked meat before saying "I humbly thank you for the meal, Sen." As she ate, she heard Thea offering bread, nuts and spread. She turned to her and said "I would like some bread and that spread please. No nuts for me though. I'm actually allergic to them."

Did one get that right? Sakura is ALLERGIC to nuts? "The first time I had them back at my clan, I got an unbearable rash that took days to get them gone. I was little back then and I've avoided nuts since that incident. The poor forager who gave them felt very sorry of me. But it was the first time it happened, so who knew?" She added.

AnonyMouse AnonyMouse Reinhardt Reinhardt RedArmyShogun RedArmyShogun EmperorsChosen EmperorsChosen Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 Thalia_Neko Thalia_Neko

Recruits

Once the recruits were ready to depart, the coachman did as he was instructed and let them on the ride. With everything set, their journey toward their destination began. The further away they went from the inn, the rougher the road got. The gravel on the path became less and less until only dirt and rocks were left. The scenery also started to have more trees and shrubberies, noting that not only are they getting further away from Tylsen's outskirts, but also getting closer to the distant forests. In time, the wagon's wheels came to a halt, and the recruits were finally dropped off at their destination.

The coachman asked the recruits if they wanted him to wait or if he was free to go. If it was the former, he would put the wagon a small distance away, otherwise, he would return back to Tylsen's borders.

Now, what lay before the recruits was Heine Warehouse 5 - the faded paint of the number five on its steel doors as confirmation. Just like the previous building, it showed signs of wear and tear - there were numerous stains and dust scattered all over the walls. A few small cracks could be seen on the surfaces, but nothing that speaks of irreparable damage. As always, the doors to the warehouse were locked, but the keys were already in the hands of the recruits.

Interaction/s: Cresslinde ( King Crimson King Crimson ), Endymion ( lunar_moth lunar_moth ), Lupa ( Silver Wolf Silver Wolf ), Talio ( TreasureSniper TreasureSniper ), Lori ( ERode ERode )

hyss-banner2-png.999406

Currently: Nomming
Thinking: "Holy crap! That heal spell is incredible! Holy crap this meat is amazing!"

Interacting: AnonyMouse AnonyMouse @RedArmyShogun Topless Topless
Mentions:

"Ahh..." Hyss stared, mouth gaping under her mask at the wonder of the spell, the fabric stretching oddly. "Thank you," she found herself saying breathlessly, unable to hold it in after witnessing such miraculous magic. After Thea's hand left her, she quickly pulled off the bandages. To her utter amazement the slash marks were all but mended up. Scales reformed like scalemail. Rarely after injury did her scales heal so well! Minor injuries were fine, but others often left nicks, cuts, and scars across her body. Her scales forming back malformed, crooked, or warped. There was a small ache left, but the pain had largely subsided, despite what the knight had said. "That's a truly wondrous spell," she commented before Thea left.

After marveling and fixing up her clothes, Hyss followed Thea, rejoining the others around the cooked food. She got herself a bowl -as Sen had said she could, and dipped her head to the large woman. "Thanks," she mused, getting some meat and sitting near Sakura to eat. She sat there because Sakura had offered to teach her the bow, so might as well get to it while eating, or just after. The Beastkin listened to the fox state how she was allergic to nuts. Hyss wasn't, but she wasn't fond of them.

With a glance around, Hyss gently tugged down her mask, and tried to hide herself taking a bite; her eyes flicking around defensively. Her maw could open much wider than you'd expect, and her fangs were quite prominent. So she attempted to hide this abnormality as she ate -Hyss typically did not eat near others for this exact reason. But she thought she did a good job conspicuously hiding it. Her eyes bulged as she took a bite. This was damn good! The snake practically purred in delight after taking a bite of the meat -you know, if snakes could purr. There was some clear delight displayed on face, grinning broadly, and squirming some. It would -and was hard to hide her misshapen maw when she so greedily dove into her tasty meal. The taste made her unable to focus on her previous decorum.​

1670240884346.png
Interaction: Team B​
"Very well. If those are the groupings we are comfortable with, we will go with that." Talio wasn't too particular about how the group was split up, after all, most members of the group could reliably hold their own, aside for one of them, be he could hardly blame them given their specialty. He was happy to hear Lupa was confident enough to venture back into these semi-dangerous warehouses, despite her injury. And her desire to investigate the infrastructure of the warehouse was also most welcome. After all, apart from the inventory, they also had to ensure the warehouse itself was in acceptable condition.

"Guess you're with me then, Lori. Maybe Zest here can be our third member to even out the teams." Talio smiled at the bird girl, happy to have been paired with her. From what he has seen, the girl certainly did not lack any abilities in combat and more importantly she seemed knowledgeable about how warehouses functioned. Either way, he thought this division was balanced enough. Who knows, maybe they can be business partners sometime in the near future.

"I've already eaten breakfast. I'll be waiting for all of you at the carriage." He simply replied while walking towards the carriage himself, where he would patiently wait for the rest of the group while inspecting the inventory papers some more.

Interaction: King Crimson King Crimson (Cressey) lunar_moth lunar_moth (Endymion) Silver Wolf Silver Wolf (Lupa) ERode ERode (Lori) Reinhardt Reinhardt

As they arrived at the warehouse, Talio told the coachman to wait for them, telling him to position the carriage slightly further, in case there was anything unsavory waiting for them in there. From what he could see, there was some level of wear and tear in the warehouse. Exiting the carriage, he would immediately make a few quick notes on what he could see from the outside, before slowly walking towards the metal door. "Alright. Before we split up, let's do this first. Get your weapons out. Let's see if the stockeaters got into this warehouse as well. And Lupa, I apologize for your nose in advance." Talio asked the party to prepare themselves, taking out the key to the warehouse, turning the lock, and slowly opening the door. "Be ready to retreat to if we see any movement from the inside. Remember, if there are any bugs in here, we want to lure all of them out here where they are easier to pick off." He reminded the team to not advance and instead lure the creatures out where they could be dealt with.

Right after that, he would take out his "bait". A vial of crushed Holzekt guts, something often used by other Valgem merchants to lure out the bugs. Using his mouth to pop open the cork on the vial, he would allow the wind to carry the nasty smell from the vial. On the other hand, he unsheathed one of his blades and prepared to spray any large insect that would approach the entrance with a much more potent dosage of pesticide. Relatively harmless to most leaving creatures, except for insects. And now he waited to see if anything would come out. Whether it was an insect, or some other beast. They would be ready to slay it. Hopefully at least.

Last edited:
EDDD07C4-AC1D-41D7-8284-E2ACE9DA4CBC.jpeg

“It’s not much, but it’s honest work!” Endymion holds out his walking staff for inspection. It’s a little chipped on the ends now, mandible-shaped punctures in the soft wood, but it’s in no way beyond function. It’d take a lot more than a few nibbles for Endymion to abandon his most prized possession. “It can whack bugs, at least.” And if that wasn’t enough, well, he still had the largest shard of his shattered inkwell tucked in the waistband of his breeches, this time with a leather cord torn from the neckline of his tunic wrapped around the bottom end to act as a sort of handle. Prison-style!

CECAFA65-768A-4F1E-B3E6-6FA37245F176.jpeg

“I’m ready as anyone else,” he tells the group at large. Whoever in particular holds the key is indeterminate, but it doesn’t matter, because once they’ve swung open the unlatched doors of the warehouse, Endymion wastes no time following them into the fray and regrouping with Cressey and Lupa.

Mn, okay. So long as he hasn’t been immediately taken down by bugs, Endymion’s next course of action is to begin surveying the innards of the warehouse with as much of an analytical gaze as possible; after all, if he’s not going to be much help as a fighter, he’s at least going to be damn good at the job he is given, even if that’s just cataloguing inventory.

I bet this bad boy can fit so many spiders in it,” he whispers to himself, very, very quietly and not at all apprehensively.

TreasureSniper TreasureSniper Silver Wolf Silver Wolf ERode ERode King Crimson King Crimson Reinhardt Reinhardt

Jf5CChj.png

With a quick meal-to-go, Lori was happy to warm herself up for the day's activities by walking alongside the carriage while it bumbled through the thick brush. Her stamina outstripped those of the horses, of course, and the beasts weren't running at full speed either, so there was practically no difficulty on her part in keeping up. Yup, as packed dirt roads turned into grassy paths turned into forest trails, the birdkin beastfolk whistled a cheery tune, enjoying the relative quiet of her companions and nature. She didn't mind working with whomever, and Talio certainly wasn't a bad sort to work with too!

"I'll do the loop around then," she said upon arrival at the warehouse. "Last time there were lotsa soft dirt, so I'll give everyone a chirp if it's the same this time, ok? And if there isn't, I'll check out the roof too!"

And so it was that as Talio flung his foul concoction of dead insect parts that the long-haired girl pranced off to the sides of the warehouse. Definitely not to avoid having to stomp circuitously on more bugs, of course! All for scouting and such, nevermind how it looked pretty unlikely for the warehouse to have sustained any dramatic amount of damage from burrowbeasts and the critters of the dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back