Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking into the tavern, Barost had snagged a table off to the side, a small part of him dreading what might happen with Garret attempting to play for people he'd never met and in a place that seemed to have its own expectations for entertainment. Learning towards a few of the closer tables he tried to help encourge the crowd to the half-elven bard, muttering he'd heard him play a few times -- wasn't half bad and similar comments.

Seeing him challenged on the stage, the sorcerer readied in case things turned ugly, but thankfully it turned into a battle of bards instead of a battle of blades. Enjoying the two different songs, Barost started to clap after Garret finished, only to notice the room had gone silent again and grew uneasy once more. Sighing after all the back and forth, he decided to join the others at the bar, leaning on it, "See, I got us a table, thinkin' we'd all sit together, but here you lot din't even glance my way!" He smiled, his earring glowing faintly in his ear, "How's the room situation then? We still need t'sort that out?"

The older barkeep turns around to the halfling woman you met before. "Hey, boss! They got any rooms yet?" She lifts her gaze from the book she was reading and glances to the four travelers at the bar. "No, we have made no transactions up to this point." She mentions in her monotone voice before getting back to her reading. The barkeep nods and turns to face all of you again. "So, the rooms are eight silver per night. For three more," he raises up three fingers, "you can get all the daily meals we serve. It all depends on how many rooms you lot would like."

Barost smiled at the barkeep, "Well I expect that depends on how many can rest in th' rooms. How many beds in each? Though," he glanced at Mel, "I expect she'll be keen to get away from us fer a night, so at least one room there likely." Reaching for his coin purse he continued, "We'll prob'ly be stayin' at least two nights -- our plans are a bit wobbly, but it'd be nice to have a promised bed one way o'the other, yanno?" He rubbed his neck with a grin, "Th' ground ain't exactly the best fer sleepin' on."

Pulling out a few silver, "Any suggestions on what t'do 'round here? Popular sights, trustworthy shops? Any places ya might suggest avoidin'?"

Kedwin scratched his head, embarrassed. "Completely forgot about that part -- our rooms fit two people. So, if the Ms. would like you lot not to bugger her for a night, you'd be sitting on more than two. We have enough rooms for a few days, of course. Nothing much is happening in town right now, and all the rumors of increased violence on the road... Things have been a bit slower lately." He shook his head in agreement as Barost pulled out the coins. "Well, that depends on what you are all in town for. We have lots of shops 'round here in the Market Ward, on the other side of the hill you'd find the Military Ward and all the guards, the official king's stuff -- really not the place to go if you feel like causing trouble. Not sure if we are really the city for popular sights... But maybe don't go to the slums outside the wall that much, especially the ones south of the road, even the Iron Guards gave up on that part of town by now." The halfling finally paused for a second to think before simply shrugging. "If you have more specifics, I might be able to help more. Sorry."

Placing a hand on Barosts hand, she takes out her own purse. Setting out 6 gold, she smiles. “Two nights. Two rooms. With meals provided, please.” Flipping her hair back, she takes a drink of her wine. “Oh, and how much for this.”

Last edited:
"Alrighty. You got that, boss?" He calls to the halfling working the books. "And for the wine, it would be another silver piece." Kedwin slides the gold coins out of the counter and store them somewhere out of view. "Have a wonderul stay at the Song and Sorrow." He adds with a wink before turning to some other patrons sitting at the bar.

With the rooms arranged, it didn't take long for the group to make their way upstairs, one by one, tired after the many days of travel. The comfortable beds were all you could have wanted after this tiring day and, quickly enough, sleep embraces you all.

Barost, your eyes finally close and your mind drifts off into the dream realm, just like any other day. Except for the fact that... something feels off. Suddenly, your mind is filled with a torrent of mindless rage, as if hundreds, no, thousands of people were screaming and howling among your thoughts. Instinctively, you open your eyes, and rushing bubbles fill your field of vision as you now feel the familiar feeling of being underwater. And so, you are being pushed around carried by this unforgiving current that changes direction constantly, somehow matching the endless rage that clouds over your thoughts - not even allowing you time to properly react to any of this. You are not sure how long you spend in this whirlpool of wrath, all that crosses your mind is the screaming and the bludgeoning force of the water hitting your body. You feel as the pressure on your being grows stronger and you are forced awake, taken back to the room in the Song and Sorrow Inn, the sunlight creeping in through the tacky yellow curtains.

And with that, it's morning in the city of Bankshire. You all eventually meet at a table, ready to plan the day ahead of you over breakfast.

Smiling as he thanked Mel for paying the bill, the weary sailor went up to the room he'd be sharing with the bard and flopped into a bed, giving a contented sigh at the comfort of the mattress after so many days on the hard ground. Kicking his boots off, he barely managed to stay awake long enough to remove his weapons before dozing off.

Sleep felt so wonderful, only to be cut short by the sudden roar in his mind, in a panic at trying to figure out what was going on, he woke with a start -- or so he thought ...? How was he suddenly underwater? Were they not just in the inn? As he tried to piece things together he suddenly felt himself dragged around by a strong current -- and even as he was a confident swimmer, for one of the few times in his life he felt afraid of the water. His thoughts were scattered -- he merely wanted out -- the comfort of the water was not there as it pressed against him, forcing the breath out him --

And he awoke with a gasp in his bed, tangled in the sheets and sprawled haphazardly from his thrashing, attempting to swim out of the depths. Staring at the ceiling, the half-elf took deep breaths trying to calm himself, thinking, "What ... the fuck ... was that?!"

Barost felt as though he'd gotten hardly any sleep, mumbling a faint, "Morning ..." to Garret he worked his way downstairs, head resting in a hand, creating sparks between his fingers out of nerves.

uuugghhh why is it morning? The light blinding his one open eye as he sprawled on the bed. "Out foul dawn! No one calls you to this place oh terrible waking light!"
In a mad attempt to shut the curtain from the bed, he finds himself facedown on the floor with a thunk. "owh!"

After such a restful sleep, Mel walks down, seeing Barost at a table, she smiles. “Hungry? You seem a little antsy.” Now in high waisted pants and flowing shirt, her hair up in a ponytail. She orders a breakfast for both of you. Chowing down as soon as it arrives.

Rubbing his eyes, Barost sighed, envious of how rested and nicely dressed Mel looked compared to his rough appearance. "Famished, thanks ... how did ya sleep? Assumin' better than me, but ... any weird dreams?" A loud snap came from his hand as a large spark flared up and broke, causing the sorcerer to close his fist instead. "I'm pretty sure ya know from th' time you've known me, I'm probl'y more comfortable in th' water, right ...?" He swirled his mug for a moment, "... whatever that dream was, made me th' most scared I'd ever been of water ... an' Iunno if it was this town or what."

Shaking her head, she continues to eat. “Nothing strange, no.” Thinking, she readjusts her ponytail. “It could be something about that storm that crazy old man was telling us about. Since your the most connected with such events. It would make since for you to get such a dream. We should keep our guard though. If it shook you up that much.”

Reaching up towards his earring, the sailor shrugged tiredly, "...maybe. I dunno why it woulda been so ... angry though." He picked at his plate, his usual energy seeming to be lacking, "We're 'spose to meet our guy here tonight ... anyone got any thoughts what we do with the rest of th' day? Or even what we'll be doin' afterwards?" Cracking a faint smile he added, "T'be honest, most times I was in places like this, only really had time ta' hit th' taverns before headin' out again. Dunno what t'do with time on my hands."

Shrugging, she drinks some water. “Well, there’s plenty of stuff to do. If it’s nice enough outside.” Eating some more food, she cocks her head to the side. “We could explore the town a bit. See what’s in it. Maybe find our next job, or something.”

"Job? I've got a job for you." It seems a rather disheveled Garret had made his way downstairs afterall. "I've got a job, I master this lute and come back to kick that bards ass." He stares longingly at the stage, how could he have lost with a performance like that? He had to learn more...

Sitting down he grabbed a few scraps of food off his friends plates, and made a go for Barost's coffee. Then he noticed his friend looked more haggard then he did. "You look like shit my friend."

Barost grunted a reply to the bard, "I should be fine for the day ... I saw ya sprawled on yer bed too, how did ya sleep? Any strange dreams?"

"Boy did I ever. So I found myself bored of life and looking for adventure, so I sign onto a whaling ship. The captain was absolutely bonkers obsessed with this giant white whale, apparently it ate his leg and pocket watch or something. Needless to say we hunted the whale acrossed the sky, the darn thing was elusive on a bad day. Anywho to make a long story short, eventually I befriended the whale and I rode it's back into the sun."
A loud slurp from Mel's coffee, which was acquired at some point, Garret leans back in his chair.

Last edited:
Leaning back in his own seat, Barost raised an eyebrow at Garret's tale, "...interesting. Sure yer not just thinkin' up some new song? Don't think I've ever seen a white whale, but those buggers can easily capsize a small boat if they breach near ya. Send large waves out from th' crash."

Running a hand through his hair he sighed, "Either way, sounds somethin' fittin' for ya." Taking another sip from his mug, "...hopefully it was jus' tied to th' storm that came through. Didn't that druid fellow say it was a sign or somethin'? Darker times, Iunno." Covering a yawn with his hand he continued, "Lookin' fer jobs might not be too bad an idea ... question is, where would we look?"

Glaring at Garret as he takes her coffee, she swipes at him as she takes it back. “We might find people in need of mercenaries in the local King's Hall, its a law house of sorts that deals with the beauraucratic side of things - such as mercenary contracts.”

Kaesalor stretched his back, almost hitting the ceiling, before taking a seat at his companions' table. He let out a tired yawn in his deep voice that almost resonated with the whole building. "I'll never understand how can you people sleep in these... beds. They are too soft, it's so hard to get out of them!"

Nodding at Mel's suggestion, Barost picked at his plate some more, slowly eating, "That sounds like a good place t'start." He waved at the firbolg, "Hey Kaesalor, least I'm not th' only one that had some issues -- an' not jus' an overactive imagination." Smirking at Garret for a moment he continued, "Assumin' ya know where t'find the King's Hall 'round here?"

Slapping his hands on the tables he rose, the evident bounce in his step as he charged the next task. "Tell me my love, with a lack of work in the present establishment..." grumbling something about fancy city bards mother's. "Pray tell me where one may obtain reward for such impressive talent?" Dropping the flowery over tones "Oh and my friends seem to think the kings hall is a good place to start for mercenary work. Any directions would be great love. That and coffee."

The current barkeep raises her gaze to meet the approaching half elf. An older woman greets him with a warm smile. "Of course, darling. Maybe you can find a job asking around in the richer merchants in this side of town, or, as your friends wisely suggested, you can head to the King's Hall over at the Military Ward and find some job postings to help our great kingdom - or simply make some extra gold." She slides over a cup of coffee and continues rambling. "It's hard to miss, really, just look for the several-stories-tall fancy building in one of the main roads. You may need to take the long way around the hill, the Fortress Ward's gates are harder to cross. And try not to cause much trouble while in the military side, they are not the most patient kind, darling."

"my love, I shall return return with gainful employ!" Returning to his friends table, "well come on my loyal compatriots. If you want the kings hall we are off to the military district... That or we find work around here."
He fiddles with his lute as he awaits reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back