Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troll nails? Why Garret you genius; bet she's never eaten a Cockatrice! Seems the type to not be a scared of unusual delicacies either.

A playful grin from ear to ear, came across his face. "Terribly sorry my darling, I'm fresh out of troll nails... Perhaps I have something else you may be interested in... A roast Cockatrice? Very fresh of course."

"Of course I have no set price in mind if you are interested, so maybe make me an offer?"
His well practice salesman routine for fine food may be of use on the road afterall.

Last edited:
The halfling chuckles playfully as Garret presents his offer. "That's certainly unusual, not that many actually came here to offer me something. Most of the times the adventure and danger is simply the payment, only few did that part out of their own free will. Very peculiar, indeed." She shakes her head slowly without letting the smile out of her face. "However, I have to say no to that deal, cockatrice flesh is not exactly a useful ingredient. If you managed to get me some of the more interesting parts, then you would possibly walk out of here with something rather interesting." She lets go of the door, as the others probably will remain outside. "As I said, most of the times people have their goal in mind when talking to me. 'I need to heal my sister; I want to be able to cut through orcs like butter; I need to poison the asshole that killed my chickens;' If you ever have that sort of need in your life, you know where to find me. I'm here for all kinds of deals, especially with those so keen to face the danger of such terrifying creatures." She winks to the half elf and moves inside, getting herself a cup of tea from whatever was brewing in the hearth.

Nodding in a rather glum fashion, "well it appears we leave with only a name. Just as well, for our destination if not far."
Crossing to the door, his spirits on an upswing one again. "May it forever rain on your crops and not your head."
An elegant bow later he was gone from her doorway, headed back to the cart.

"Come my merry company, places too be and adventure to be had."

Kaesalor's eyes lit up at the mention of cutting through orcs, but alas, cutting through them like butter would be their easy way out. They deserved more suffering. For a second, he found these dark thoughts creep into his mind and he found himself clutching his totemic necklace. He then shaked his head as he realised where has his hate brought him again. No,orcs must die so this land can be a better place. Not for his own selfish enjoyment. Stare into the abbyss long enough, as the saying goes...

Snapping back to reality, he glanced at his friends with a simple grunt and a nod.

Barost tiredly rolled his eyes as he followed Garret out, "See, if ya hadn't been so clumsy we mighta' had somethin' on offer. Got lots a'stories of fools makin' deals with people like that -- like gettin' a djinn, they look fer loopholes and tricks of wordin'."

Offering a hand up into the cart he added, "We're so close, let's see if we can finish up, yeah?"

After the brief encounter with Madam Discordia, the group takes the cart back to the main road, intent on finally reaching the capital. In less than an hour, dark farmlands take the place of the equally dark wilderness you have grown so accustomed to and it's possible to see in the horizon many flickering torchlights on a hillside -- Welcome to Bankshire.

Minutes later, the farmland is also left behind and a confusing myriad of precarious lodging takes its place, while you steadily make your to the massive western gates of Eldercliff's capital. For those of you that are not used to very populated areas, the sheer amount of buildings, guard patrols and even drunks stumbling away in the night overwhelm your senses as you slowly find the city gates in the tall stone walls that limit the city proper.

A small squadron of the Iron Guard moves forward to meet you, the usual mix and match of humans, halflings and dragonborns so common to this corner of Ikhorus. Leading the group, a human man orders the cart to halt, and speaks in an official tone. "Arrivals past the sundown are unusual, but not necessarily unwelcome. In the name of the King, identify yourselves."

Stepping out into the open, Mel smiles. "The name is Mellis Hebenus Domina III Sanguis. These are my compatriots. We are hoping to enter the city to find some rest on our journey. Maybe stay for a bit before heading out." Smiling sweetly, she tilts her head. Her hair falling a bit,

For a short while, Kaesalor just stared in amusement at the amount of buildings around them. However, his astonishment quickly shifted over to anxiety as he was overwhelmed by a settlement this large. He tried his best to hide behind his friends on the cart, as comical as that looked with his large frame.

You see the familiar change of posture as the guard realized the fine line he was threading, right before a noble. "I-I-I didn't expect someone of your position walking in such a... unusual vehicle." He took a few steps to the side ans montioned the others to do the same. "Welcome to Bankshire ma'am. Is there anything you need to know about the city? You don't look like you are from around." He said while glancing to the firbolg driving the cart.

Blinking tiredly at the guard, Barost tried to smile, "We're hopin' t'find a place for the night, an' we heard good things about th' Song and Sorrow? Can ya give us some directions, maybe we can make it there 'fore we collapse from tiredness. Doubt ya wanna deal with a sleep-drivin' wagon, wanderin' through th' streets, yeah?"

"The Song and Sorrow is as good as any Inn in the Market Ward." He stopped for a second, and started giving out easy directions towards the tavern marked by the sign of a weeping violin. "I don't think they are having any performances today, but you guys might have gotten lucky. Most places are closed by now, except the ones that sell booze of course, so it will be easier to find it now rather than on the middle of the day."

No performances? Intriguing...

Garret says not a word but his friends probably know exactly where his thoughts have gone. No performances means no competition, and that means perhaps he can angle himself into the vacancy.

His fingers trace the familiar fret board of the lute, and he begins tuning as the cart ambles on.

Having just received the directions, it's easy enough to make your way through the city streets until finally arriving at a bright building with a sign that reads "Song & Sorrow Tavern" above the imagery of a weeping violin. The establishment, just as you have been told, is very well lit and it is possible to hear the loud, welcoming noise of conversation from within it.

Walking inside, you see many low tables scattered about in front of a stage that takes the bigger part of the right wall. The left side, closer to the door, is the place of a large, well-stocked bar as well as a stairway that leads to the upper floors. The other patrons fill about half of the seats and are happily drinking and conversing, thankful for the warmth of the big stone hearth that keeps the chills of the incoming storm at bay.

Just as you four walk in, a halfling woman glances past your shoulders to the cart outside and meets you next to the door. She has short, sandy hair and wears plain grey clothes, with no extra jewels or flourishes what-so-ever. "Good Night." She spoke in a calm and controlled tone, hushed if compared to the loud atmosphere of the Inn. "I assume you will need to get your beasts to the stable, yes? Welcome to the Song and Sorrow. What else can we do for you today?" She said while waving to some boy in his teens and motioning to the animals outside.

Kaesalor spoke up. "The beasts listen to me." He then left to catch up with the boy. "Let me handle it. Just show me where to take them."

Taking in the tavern as a whole, it seemed like a nice enough place. He'd played in worse...

"So... Certain guards tell me you haven't found entertainment for the evening. Well my dear you find yourself in luck! For tonight you play host to a Bard of great talent, recently arrived in town I Garret Tallman have graced your doorstep!"

Stepping passed her he moves into the room, pulling the lute in front of him... He plays for dramatic effect as he launches into his pitch...

"Good patrons of the song and sorrow, lend me your ears and I shall recount you tales of heroes bold and villians dastardly! Sing songs of heartbreak and true love!" A playful wink at an unattended young woman, and he starts to launch into song.

Stables

The teenage boy nods to Kaesalor and begins to lead the way to the stables, pulling the beasts by their makeshift harnesses to the small stable in the back. As they start making sure the beasts are in the proper place to rest after the long day of travel, the boy looks up to the firbolg. "I've never seen one of you around. You're big... Much like the hulking people that come by from the mountains from time to time... Sorry, s-sir, Jackie says I ask a lot of questions." He adds defensively, unsure if it was something rude to ask.

Inside

The woman frowns. "Trouble? No, no, you see-" Her calm voice is drowned by the loud noises of the room as the half elf starts presenting himself. She simply sighs deeply and shakes her head. "I'll get you a couple of rooms, then. If you have any particular things in mind, feel free to ask me." She waves and start walking back next to the bar, where she proceeds to write something on a big ledger.

Mellis, as you sit by the bar and turn around to face the crowd and the show being put up by Garret, your eyes catch someone walking onto the stage across the room. On top of it, now stood a halfling male, with features similar to the woman that greeted you, wearing flowing golden robes and glaring at the half elf playing in the middle of the room.

He clears his throat and catches the attention of the not-so-impressed crowd. "Excuse me friend, but this isn't one of our open-stage nights. But, all the same, I'm grateful that you tried to fill the Song and Sorrow's hall with music, it was built for this after all." He grabs from the side of the stage a bright red lyre and looks down to the bard. "Let me show you how we do around here." With a wink, he looks over at the crowd and projects his voice. "It looks like you will all be having more entertainment than you imagined as you walked through those doors! Looks like someone will try up the stage! He looks like he's not that familiar with the Honeystep works, but maybe he's better than that if given the proper showcase. Climb up here!" He motions invitingly, but the tenacity could be seen beyond his wide smile and sparkling eyes.

Oh now this would be fun, he hadn't had competition in a long time!

A tightness in his chest betrayed his masked excitement, as he returned the smile. "My friend, forgive my assumptions. Apparently the town guards knew not of your performance here tonight. Hopefully they are better guardsmen then tour guides eh?"

He pauses here for laughter at his jest, as he jumps to the stage.

"Now shall we give these fine people a show? Or shall we mearly engage with words as rapiers all night?"

Looking at the boy, Kaesalor chuckled. "You definitely ask too much." He then adds, "My people usually live deep in the forest, haven't heard of any living in the mountains though."

Stables

"Not too much like you, but they are big, grey and scary. They aren't really from the mountains, though. I think they left it many years ago..."
He checks everything is comfortable in the antelopes' pen grabs a bucket of dry plants. "All I know is that they come from the south. Very scary.... H-how can people even get that big?" He shakes his head and stares at his own feet. "Sorry, for taking your time... Y-you can head back inside if you like. I'll take care of your... uhh... beasts."

Inside

The woman from before sighs behind the bar, as she places a wine glass next to Mellis. "Oh gods, your friend might have gotten himself in quite the trouble. Let's just hope my brother is as fine with this as he appears to be. Or even better, let's hope your friend actually knows how to play that thing."

The halfling chuckles loudly. "I see, I see, you're truly new. I play most nights, the stage is mine after all. But what they probably meant is that my sister didn't prepare a play for today -- the reason we are not completely packed. You see, Song and Sorrow: music and drama. It is indeed the best entertainment to have while appreciating our halfling mead, right?" He directs himself to the crowd and delights himself in the many cheers of agreement. "As you so brilliantly said, these people deserve a proper show!" He bows down before the crowd and reaches for the lyre, silence steadily growing within the room as everyone is excited by the surprise performance.

When everything was completely quiet, the chords begin to emit a calm, deep melody without any vocals, the simple and raw sound of the marvelously-crafted instrument fills the room. Then, his fingers start moving faster and faster as the calm music evolved into a joyful ballad that makes as the patrons join in, marking the rhythm with their feet or fists. The halfling turns around to face Garret expectantly, waiting for what the traveler would have to offer to the show.

Sighing, she takes a drink of her wine. "Well, he certainly has some halfling in him. He should do well enough. Though to be honest i haven't really seen him play." Sitting back, she looks on to the show. Wondering how Garret will do.

The halfling is a creature of great skill and popularity. Garret find himself smiling and applauding asking with the crowd. When his moment comes though, the only sound he can hear is his heart hammering in his ears.

Then it comes to him, the beautiful wonderful moment of inspiration. The piece he's work on for so long; one of his own creations...

Raising a hand for silence, "it would appear ladies and gentlemen, that the time has come. I have awaited this moment, since first I found the muse. A children's story really, passed down for generations. Those of you familiar, know it as the tale of the Golden Dragon."

Slow. The song starts slow and rhythmic. It builds in tempo and complexity. The sounds in the room spring from his lute.

He misses not a note. By the time he is done he is sweating from the effort...

"We are taught we have some giant blood. Maybe those folks you are talking about have some as well." He says after a moment of contemplation. He then pets the antelopes, saying "Don't worry friends, he'll take care of you." He then turns back to the boy. "You'd better, I'll ask them in the morning." The firbolg then takes his leave, heading back to the tavern.

Stables
The boy is left speechless, hanging on to the ropes that were holding the beasts of burden, as Kaesalor walked back towards the tavern.

Song and Sorrow
The crowd is enthralled by Garret's performance and are left speechless throughout the entire time. Kaesalor gets inside in time to catch the end of it, right as the ever-closer rumbles of thunder finally call forth the rain foretold earlier in the day. However, even the vigorous storm that was passing through the town was not loud enough and was inevitably smothered by the patron's cheers. The halfling that shared the stage during the full performance, gave a slow clap and, with a single motion of his hand, made the half-filled bar return to its silent state. "Very nice work, boy, and I'm sure they would agree with me! Not get out of my stage," he says with a big genuine grin, "Kedwin, get him a mug of mead, he deserves it!" With a wink, he turns back to the crowd and resumes back his show, dropping the lyre and getting a flute, as perfectly-tuned as the first.

When Garret reaches the bar, an older halfling barkeep places a mug of ale in front of him. "Believe me, lad, that was better than most I've seen up there. On the house, as the chief said."

With the familiar sound of music and conversation, the homely interior of the tavern makes the group feel finally at peace after the dangerous days of travel through the neighboring plains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread