Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styrium

The sun is setting over the village of Dewfall, a quiet fishing village in the uneventful duchy of Eldercliff. As the shades of orange take over the sky, an approved caravan arrives and the newcomers look at the myriad of similar wooden houses that make up Dewfall, with just three larger buildings that break up the monotony and a burnt down pile of rubble that appears out of place in what should be an overall relaxing scenery. Even a village as small as this one is, thanks to the great Horned Ruler, well defended and several guards can be seen patrolling the outskirts of the community. And, as the caravan disbands, now that it has reached its destination, the travelers take in the town, and what it could mean to each one of you: revenge, an opportunity or a fresh start.

Tired and in need of a soft bed and good food, you trail off towards the local Inn, one of the three largest buildings, seeking a comfortable place to drink and relax. The interior was warm and comfortable, even if a little bit worn down, with the familiar sound of multiple voices enjoying the end of a good day of work. Behind the bar, a rusty silver dragonborn is filling up tankards with ale and speaks up above the noise when he notices the door open, "Welcome to the Glowing Driftwood, take a seat. Liza will be with you in a second," Then, all of you trail off your separate ways in search of what led you to this village.

Garret, you're yet again at the bar with two older gentlemen, a halfling and a human, both fishermen. After a good afternoon of drinking while you wait for everyone to get off work and into the tavern, you see people you've never seen before enter the inn, something rare, and to take it further, those people were wearing armor and carrying weapons - they must be mercenaries, or better yet, adventurers. The human also looks up to the door and arches an eyebrow, "hmm, a caravan arrived today, I don't know what those folks would want in a place like this," after the comment, the halfling turns around to scan the door, "gods know what they're doing here. At least a new caravan means more ale." With that, both of them raise their tankards and look over to the half elf, "what about you, lad? It's about time you start playing that lute of yours, the tavern's almost packed."

Murk, you notice one human drinking alone, wearing the symbol of the wandering brigade, a shield with a boot emblem, a mercenary company that operates in Eldercliff.

Last edited:
"I suppose you're right my friends," Garret says to them as he downs the last of his drink. He picks up a battered but well loved lute and begins tuning it, "Louis had first pick last time, any requests Otis?"

A giant of a creature with gray skin, a red nose, long, red hair and a long, red beard walks into the tavern. He is tall even by Firbolg standards and has to bend considerably to get in through the door. Once inside, he still can't quite stand upright. He takes an awkward look around himself and sits at an empty table towards the corner, hunching shyly on his chair.

One of the newcomers, another half-elven lady walks up to the bar. Her cane clanking against the wood with each step. There is no doubt she comes from a lot of money. Her beautiful dress only slightly hindered from her intricute armor. As she settles she looks over to the lute player. "Why not play Allmayne? It has been ages since I've heard it."

The bard takes a moment to recall such a ballad, "you'll have to forgive me m'lady, but we haven't been properly introduced." Giving her an elegant bow, "Garret Tallman, and it would be my honor to play for you. Please forgive any error, it has been years since I've had that request and I may be a bit rusty."
With that he promptly moves to the stage and begins to play. Fingers fly across the frets, and the song comes to life.

"A special thank you to the lovely woman at the bar for that wonderful request. Now let's liven things up with a song about love and mermaids." As he plays Garret wonders around the room interacting and singing with various patrons.

Last edited:
Murk is already hassling the barkeep, seemingly about gin. From under his robe emerges a short snout of black fur that has turned grey with yellow eyes. His tail flicks irritably behind him.

"What do you mean you don't know where this gin is from? You serve something and you don't know what plant it comes from? What about the distillery process? Are there any distilleries around here? What about the duchy? Can you --" His voice cuts off as his eye catches a human sitting alone, the emblem of a shield and boot on his arm. "The Wandering Brigade. I forgot they operated out of Eldercliff. I wonder what he's up to. I wonder if he's on a job right now. I wonder what it pays."

Thoughts races through his head, tail whipping around more quickly now, smacking the well-dressed half-elf lady. "Mmm, sorry ma'am." He grabs all three of the different kinds of gin he ordered and carefully makes his way across the bar to the human. "Hey. Got room for a fellow merc? I got gin."

Entering into the tavern, Barost had mostly followed the others, assuming they had some idea of where to find a comfortable bed, warm food, and cold ale. Pushing open the door he caught the yelled name of the tavern and stood in the doorway a moment, running a very suntanned hand through his black shoulder length hair -- a few small braids woven in here and there -- before lightly tapping his small earring and retying the bandanna around his head to keep the hair from his steel-grey eyes.

As he walked through the room as a small habit, he kept tapping his thumb and forefinger, a line of static sparking between the two each time. Seating himself at the bar he leaned against it, attempting to catch the eye of the bard, "Aye, love and mermaids yeah? Got any experience with either yet?"

Once the firbolg sits down, the waitress, in her early twenties, stops by his table. "Hello, sir, I'm Liza. New in town I assume, since I've not seen your kind this far north before. Can I get you anything?"

As soon as Murk picks up the three bottles of gin, the dragonborn sighs heavily, and mumbles to himself. "The kind of people I meet every once in a while..."

The mercenary was staring into his own tankard until disrupted by the tabaxi that was apparently speaking to him. "I haven't seen you 'round these parts. But yeah, I'm a member of the Wandering Brigade, it's good profit, even more so nowadays." He shakes his head slightly at the mention of the gin. "That's awful, you can keep it to yourself. I'm Zalbam Stoneswift, and if you're accepting suggestions, I'd try the sake instead of that." The man says and extends his hand.

Upon hearing Barost's heckling, rhythm and the song changed.
oh I once knew a woman,
she was the love of my life.
When I was with her,
she feed me from strife.
But my purse was empty,
and that was no fun.
for when the coppers run out,
your mother always says your time is dooooooone.

Getting particularily close to Barost as he delivers the final line, then dancing away into the crowd to a different tune.

The half-elven lady chuckles at the last line. "Well at least now, we know he doesnt have experience with either." She comments towards Barost.

Murk looks down at the gin to suddenly find he had no interest in it. But sake he had to try. "Hello. Name's Murk. What do you know about ..." he trailed off.

"Anyway, haven't been in town long. Haven't been in Eldercliff long." What is sake made from anyway? "Where is the Wandering Brigade finding work nowadays?" He catches Zalbam's eye and spreads his hands wide on the table. "Don't worry, I'm not trying to poach your work. Only think you have to worry about from me is a request to enlist."

Hearing the elven woman's reply, Barost chuckled, "He didn't answer about the mermaids either, did he? Truth be told that was the part I was more interested in." Idly he tapped his earring again before turning to the woman, "Name's Barost Las, I believe we arrived together, yeah? Think I was too busy tryin' to get used to the ground beneath me not swayin' to do too much talking. May I ask what brought ya here? Or is that not polite to ask a lady?" he smirked.

She shakes her head as she continues to chuckle. "I remember you, yes. My name is Mellis Hebenus Domina III Sanguis. Of the Sanguis family." She gestures around her. "For now I am simply taking a break, before I visit my father."

Garret finds his interest peaked by these two strangers, and as the song dies down he wanders over. Clapping Barost on the shoulder, "apologies for the jest at your expense friend, such things are all in good fun 'round here." Waving the barkeep over, "Garret Tallman, let me get us a drink."

"One should never jest about a mother." Mellis flips her hair behind her. "Or insult ones by saying they would go so low. But I am thankful for the drink."

Grinning at Garret, Barost replied, "Truly, I've suffered worse in exchange for drink." Settling himself at the bar, he made his fingers spark a few more times before continuing, "Visiting your father eh? What's he like? A name that takes a whole breath to say makes me think you're not just a simpleton like m'self." Turning his sights on Garret he added, "And judging from the crowd you must be a familiar face here, yeah?"

Zalbam chuckles at the mention of poaching his work. "Don't you worry, there're plenty of jobs for us both." He takes a huge swig of his ale before continuing. "You see, Eldercliff's been a little understaffed lately. The guards are doing their best, I'm sure, but it leaves us enough room to get around and grab some jobs. They spend a lot of time focused on defending Dewfall itself, not much space left for errands further into the grasslands."

The barkeep gets over with three mugs of ale and sets them down on the counter. "I hope you've got enough coin to pay for those, Garret."

"He is fine, I hope. While he is a meeker man than most. He does have some strength in him." She orders a meal to go along with her drink. "You do seem to have a certain familiarity in this place, Mr. Tallman." She then glances at the barkeep. "I'll take care of this."

"Well being born just down the street may help with that. That and I may have resolved some issues with some extortionists." He trails off at the last part. Starring off into space for a minute, before shaking his head, returning him to reality.

After more than a few seconds of staring at a point floating somewhere in the air, the Firbolg snaps back into reality. At this point, he wishes he could turn invisible. Then, he realizes he can, but only for a few seconds. That'd be no help. So he starts speaking, his deep, rumbling but overall pleasant voice fills the room even as he stammers. "Uhm... Sorry, I I I I was lost... lost in thought.... My name is K-K-Kae-Kaesalor. I'd like something strong, to help me process this new place."

Last edited:
Barost nodded, "Ah a local I see -- and even more a local to the tavern it seems!" Taking a swig of the ale, he wiped an arm across his mouth, "Extortionists? Here or elsewhere?" Leaning an elbow on the counter he grinned, "Looks like I've got tales to listen to, 'stead of just spinnin' my own."

"A tale that I shall be humble in the telling." Taking a long pull of his beverage, he begins to spin the tale. "Less then a fortnight ago, a group of brigands came to town. Professing to be honest businessmen and quite wise in the profession. The town welcomed them with open arms, that was our first mistake." Garret pauses for dramatic effect before continuing. "They were shakedown artists, offering fire insurance so nothing bad would happen." He makes air quotes as he says fire insurance.
"These wise guys get brazen one night and try this with my old man. He threw them out on their backsides. That very night they set fire to our Inn, we escaped with only a few possessions and our lives." His focus shifts as if watching it unfold in front of him. "We escaped that inferno to find them watching across the street. So I took up my mother's sword, and settled it once and for all." He trails off at this point, absorbed by reliving those strenuous moments.

As Garret continued, Barost's expression darkened, "... oh. So that burned down building then ... I see. You have my condolences for your loss. I've sort of lost my home recently as well, leaving me unsure of where to go now." Running a hand through his hair he added, "Spending your life on the waters ... leaves ya a bit lacking when it comes to knowing what's on land."

Liza nods and quickly fetches a tankard of rum. "To be fair, there's not much happening in Dewfall for you to process Those incendiaries the half elf over there gloats about is about as exciting as it gets. Hope the rum helps, at least." She gets back to darting between the tables serving drinks for those who request them.

Nodding at Barost's comment,"I thank you for that, but the life moves on. I have always wanted to get out and see the world and now is my chance. You see my mother was quite the adventurer in her time, that's how we came to own the Business in the first place. Perhaps that is how we shall rebuild..." Then Garret had a thought, a very exciting thought. He could not hide his excitement at his master plan "Say, you are of an adventuring persuasion. What say you and I make fast company and try to find our way together?"

"Where was it again you were headed m'lady?" asking Mellis, the wheels of his mind turning so fast that they may soon catch fire or explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back