Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The statement stops him, "maybe you're right, we would be less inconspicuous with just the pair of us. The bar by the shore won't be busy until later... Glowing driftwood then? The daughter works there, she's a friend."

Guard Quarters

"The money probably wasn't stolen, the duke would've said something if that was the case. But the funds just got a little bit tighter every time, no letter of explanation." The captain just shrugs, "He probably has a very good reason for doing so. I'm smarter than to go around accusing him of things."

Glowing Driftwood

Both of you make your way into the warm interior of the Glowing Driftwood. The tavern was surely emptier than last night, although you are not sure if due to the attacks or the sun still being up. The dragonborn behind the bar greets you as you enter and goes back to talking to this younger human female - she is wearing an apron around her waist and appears to be in her late teens or early twenties with her ginger hair tied up into a bun - this would be Abigail Neredan. On the corner you see a lone firbolg, as Kaesalor drinks from a tankard of rum.

Garret approaches the girl, "Abigail! I just heard about what happened! This is terrible news, how are you doing? Have you heard anything?" The concerned Bard wants nothing more then to hug this poor girl. She must be so scared.

Abigail turns around to face Garret and just shrugs. "Still no sign of him. That bastard couldn't even leave a body behind. If they find he drinking somewhere, I'll make sure he stays dead this time." Even though her words carried anger, you can see as the tears start gathering in her eyes. She quickly brushes those away and faces the half elf again. "Why? Did they find anything new?"

His voice is soft but firm telling her to be strong without saying; "no, I'm sorry. My friend and I are investigating, is there anything you can tell us that may help us find him? Last we heard he was by the lake."

Abigail shakes her head slowly. "just what his friends told me, he got out of the docks saying he should be back home... then he acted like he saw me. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but they said he screamed my name and went running into some side street. He must've been very drunk. I wasn't there, there's no way he could've seen me."

Murk returns to the inn after wandering town, asking people about the Current. It was such a strange thing to worship, but it was fascinating. Was it an actual being, or the current of the oceans, or maybe something more abstract like the flowing of time.

It was the last one that got to him. He thought about time flowing around him, and his son, sweeping them up until they could take no more and then unceremoniously depositing them at the end of their lives. There was no stopping it, and he had tried to run from it, and from his responsibility, for long enough.

Eyes adjusting to the dark, he sees a few of his earlier companions around the inn.

"It was nice running with you folks, but there are some things I have to do. Oddly enough it was those lizards in the cave that convinced me it was time. Heh. Anyway, if you're ever in Griffenau, look me up. I'm not planning to leave it again any time soon."

"Farwell Murk, I am saddened that you didn't get to try my cooking but maybe one day we shall meet again."

Turning back to Abigail, "which friends were these? They may have more answers for us."

"Just some other fishers. I think Otis was there, he decided to drink at that makeshift bar instead of here for some reason," Abigail shrugs and looks to the elongated shadows. "He must be getting here by now, he usually doesn't work as long as most of them do."

"maybe we should get going?"he asks Barost. "That bar by the lake seems like our next step"
Turning and seeing the firbolg in the corner he wanders over, "hey big fella, feel like another adventure?"

Watching the room, Barost had been listening in on the conversation but frowned as Murk made his departure. "I hope the winds are in your favor, Murk. May we share the same harbor again someday."

After the Tabaxi left he turned towards Abigail, trying to give her a reassuring smile, "Hello -- I'm that friend. Name's Barost Las ... if I may, it sounds like someone tricked your uncle. We're hopin' to get as much information as we can to try an' figure out what's goin' on, an' I apologize if it brings up some sad thoughts."

He tried to catch her eye, "If ya hear anything, think of anythin' -- maybe even somethin' we could use to track him, it'll be appreciated." Patting her hand gently he stood as well with Garret, "Aye ... think we've got a few witnesses to speak to. Some friends if they saw 'im act strangely but only kept to their drinks." Barost scowled.

The firbolg turned towards Murk, sad that he is leaving. "May your summers be bountiful and your winters short. May your arrows fly swift and true. I hope the winds will cross our paths some day again." He sort of phases out after saying this, sadly staring into empty space. The only other misfit has left him alone in this scary land called civilization.

Kaesalor snaps back as he looks up to Garret who has seemingly appeared out of nowhere. "L-l-look. I-i-i'm sorry to dis-disappoint but if it doesn't involve someone's head and my axe I'm not much help in town." There's a sad expression on his face as he says this, but after a short pause it disappears and he continues. "If you still want me to c-come... sure, not like I have something t-to do."

"Easy there buddy," Garret offers the big guy a hug. Seeing how sad the nice giant was broke Garrets heart. "Come now no sense staying sad. I'll play my lute as we walk? You pick the tune and we will sing on our way. Besides if you spend all your time here you may miss some excitement."

"Well no matter what ill help get to the bottom of this. Good luck." Mellis spends the hour resting up and healing. Before going to find her companions again. She walks into the tavern just as murk leaves. Saying her goodbye to him as well. She smiles sadly at the others. "Well that should be no problem, we look like quite the strong crew."

Kaesalor takes a few moments to realize Garret is trying to hug him and he still doesn't understand why would he want to do it, but he goes along with it. He stands up from the table doing his best not to knock it over and then embraces the half elf in a literal bear hug. He can only hope he didn't crush the small person, but he won't be able to find out until he lets go.

Raising an eyebrow at the hesitant speech of the Firbolg, Barost winced at the sudden tight hug Garret was suddenly wrapped in. Patting Kaesalor on the arm he spoke, "I'm not honestly sure he can breath right now? Might wanna ease up on'im, friend." He nodded towards Mellis as she rejoined them, "You get sorted what ya needed yet? Or that still a work in progress?"

"It is a wonder why the guards and all are underfunded. And it is a problem i would wish to undercover. But I believe they can last a little longer." She smiles, though there is worry on her brow. "I will need to see my father soon. What are our next plans? So i may see if i have time to do so."

From deep within the bear hug you hear a muffled voice. "Bar.... lake.... Missing... Find... Out..." It seems Garret is having a hard time breathing and well as speaking. "Down... Please..." His feet are kicking wildly at this point.

Kaesalor lets go of the poor little half elf. "Oh uhmm... I'm s-sorry, you looked like you needed a hug. I c-couldn't help it."

Almost collapsing to his knees the poor half-elf attempts to catch his breath. "You my friend..." he pats Kaesalor on the arm, "... Give one hell of a hug."
Straightening up, he turns to Mel, "disappearing fisherman, we are headed down to the local watering hole to find some answers. Apparently they were last seen there, so if you want come with. Or you can go see your dad... Myself, I'm going to grab a drink before we go after that."
He walks over to the bar and takes a shot of whiskey, then heads for the door. Looking back at his compatriots, "shall we?"

Chuckling from the scene, Barost nodded to Garret. "We shall, just ... let's not try to be too overwhelming, yeah?"

You make your way back to the docks through the almost empty streets of Dewfall. There are still one or two hours remaining until the sunset, so most of the fishers are still out on the lake trying to make some last catches before it is too dark. At the docks, you see a gray-haired older halfling tying his rowboat and finishing his day early, Garret would know this to be Otis Earthwillow, and that behavior to be his usual. Although Fencen's chair is still there, but the gray dragonborn is nowhere to be seen. Also, at the end of the docks, you can see the small shack with a countertop, no seats visible. Behind the bar, a human female in the mid forties is organizing the place as this is bound to be more active as the night comes.

Glancing towards the empty seat of Fencen, Barost couldn't help but have a small twinge of concern that maybe the old dragonborn was the next to go missing ... shaking his head slightly he continued over towards the bar, leaning against it with a smile.

Running a hand through his hair, briefly stopping on his earring he waved to the woman, "Hello there -- gettin' ready for the nightlife, yeah? Name's Barost Las, bit new in town, but've heard good things about this little spot. Anythin' on offer you recommend?"

The woman smiles as you approach, continuing to move the bottles behind the counter, when Barost speaks up she starts to chuckle. "Good things? Heh, it's good to start with yer hopes up I guess. We've got rum and ale. And I'd not drink the Ale if I were ya." She laughs at her own words and motions to her surroundings. "Everythin' this fine establishment can offer."

Seeing his old friend Garret hails him "Otis you old mongrel! Yer done a bit early today." Garret stops to help him secure the boat, he's gone fishing a few times with Otis before. "Care for a drink ya scallywag? Need ta talk to ya 'bout something."

The two friends take a seat at a table, and Garret proceeds to explain about the missing persons and his involvement looking into the disappearances. "Have you seen anything? Or heard tales from anyone like this? We're desperate to find these people."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread