Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The captain looks through the pieces of paper he is carrying. "She was called Mary Lakeseeker, no apparent connection to the first victim. They probably know each other since this is not a very big town, but the only thing in common was that both of them were seen near the lake. That might be a good place to look around if you feel like it, just don't cause any trouble."

Crossing his arms, Barost nodded to the Captain, then to the others. "Well, hopefully I won't soon be among their number, but somethin' that close to town ..." he shook his head, "Might as well take a look yeah?" A few faint sparks moved across his form as his gaze shifted to the rest of the party, "Anyone willin' to come along or you got your own tasks to deal with?"

Contemplating what the Captain says about funding, "is that what happened? Why my home burned? Funding!?" The rage in his voice was palatable.
Turning before the captain can respond, "let's go Barost, anywhere is better then here."

Meanwhile, the Firbolg splits from the party. He looks for a quiet, open place to rest and recuperate after the adventure. Soon, he finds a field and kneels down in a meditative position, resting for about an hour.
Afterwards, he heads back to the tavern where he met his newfound friends, hoping to bump into them there eventually. He sits down hunched in his usual corner.

Azaso turns to Garret, his relieved smile has been replaced by a stern expression. "Show some respect unless you want to spend the rest of the day staring at the inside a cold cell."

Mel turns to the captain. "I would actually like to discuss that with you, the whole incident with Garrots home. The reasonings behind it all and what happened, if you dont mind" She smiles.

Whoever wants to can find their way round town, occasionally asking for directions, and head towards lake Tharrus, the main fishing spot of Dewfall. After a few minutes, you reach small wooden docks where a few row boats are currently stationed, many more still fishing far from the shore. On the main pier, you can see an older gray dragonborn sitting under a tent drinking from a dark bottle completely oblivious to your arrival, while watching the waters.

The captain just shrugs, while telling other guards to do something with the cart and the antelopes. "I don't know if there's much to talk about it. Some ruffians started terrorizing the business owners about some kind of 'fire protection' or something like that. They didn't warn us in time, so when we heard these people were going around town causing trouble we went looking for them. Apparently, in this small time period, Mr. Tallman told those bandits to fuck off, so the tavern got burned. That night we caught them and they were properly punished." His eyes trail off as he sighs. "Well, it doesn't matter if our great king banishes monsters if the real monsters never go away."

Wandering through the town Barost was relieved to finally end up at the lake, a small part of him feeling a slight draw to the water. Seeing the dragonborn sitting he approached the pier, pulling off his boots and dropped his feet into the water, enjoying the small motions of the water for a few moments, watching what few fish he could see.

Eventually he turned to look at the dragonborn with a faint smirk, "Fish take the day off, eh? Or givin' em a chance to stretch their fins 'fore they end up in a pot?"

I missed this place, Garret thinks back to his youth fishing off the dock with his father.
He decides to let Barost do the talking, instead he'll go fishing. Taking the liberated fishing pole from his backpack, attaching a piece of bait he casts it into the water.

After hearing Barost's voice, the dragonborn takes a big swig and chuckles. "Nah, the wife forbid me from goin' out there. She says I'm too old to be fishin' in the middle 'a the lake. Now my son takes the boat, that ungrateful lad." He finally turns to see the source of the sound that disrupted his fine afternoon. "Haven't seen ya 'round these parts. We don't get many pointy-ears this far north."

Barost swung his feet a little in the water, making small ripples as he smiled, "Nah ... fresh into port, of sorts. Landed last night an' got drawn into everything pretty damn fast. Jus' got back from helpin' get back the people who were stolen last night. Well ... most of 'em. Thought maybe we'd find the lost fisherman in with the rest, but apparently not ..."

Focusing for a moment, Barost spun his fingers in a circle, making a pattern in the air as the water started to follow his motions, dancing in the air before looping back into the water. He looked over at the dragonborn with a grin, "I'm Barost, and you?"

The dragonborn shakes his head and takes another swig. "That attack was unexpected, acid flyin' all over, many corpses outside 'a town. I heard rumors some folk were taken, glad ta hear they're alive. I'm Troulin Fencendrad, most people call me old Fencen." He squints at the mention of the disappearing fishers. "People noticed the third was missin' not long ago. Guards were clutterin' the docks after the first one, then the attack must've gotten their attention. Darks times."

Frowning, "Third ...? I thought only two had gone missing so far." He nodded towards the dragonborn, "Nice to meet'cha at least Fencen, wish it were better circumstances though."

Barost sighed as he made a few more shapes with the water, "Makes me sad t'hear about for sure -- sort of brothers on the waters, yanno? Though my lake was a bit bigger," he grinned. "Maybe we can try t'figure this out though, if you sit and watch the waters often. The three missing, maybe have a favored fishing spot?"

Fencen shakes his head slowly. "Nah, Neredan vanished two days ago, last seen leaving the bar," he points a small cabin in a very deteriorated state where it's possible to see a counter top. "Yesterday t'was Verth, they went fishing and never came back. Earlier, Mary was repairin' her boat just past the bar, in a sorta small warehouse that most use when neeeded. People are gettin' scared 'a what might be doin' this."

"any relation to Abigail Neredan over at the glowing driftwood?" Garret, bored of fishing, has wondered over to take part in the conversation.
Three disappeared now? The guards can't keep up with anything it seems. We need a militia if things keep down this road.
Giving more thought before continuing, "if two have gone missing over by the bar" he makes air quotes as he says it, "then if say thats the next piece in the puzzle. Been around lately Fence? Anything out of the ordinary?"

The fisher thinks for a second while scratching his scales. "Yeah, Abigail is his niece, both parents dead, so he takes care of her." Fencen chuckles a bit. "That's the mystery, I guess. Nothing outta the ordinary. Just calm waters and worried sailors."

"You see anyone else hanging around the bar?" Wheels are spinning in Garrett's head spinning.
could this be another monster? Or worse a man... his hand falls to the daggers in his belt.

Fencen just shrugs and takes another swig. "Other than sailors? Nah, just the regulars go to that pile of garbage. Who can say no to cheap rum, am I right?"

"I see, well I'll chalk all Garrett's words into emotional response." Mel smiles apologetically. "How long have your funds been reduced as you say?" She motions for her and the captain to enter the building.

Last edited:
Barost listened in on the conversation, hoping some of the names meant something to Garret as he was the only local he somewhat knew. He chuckled at Fencen's comment, "Aye ... cheap rum is a sailor's second love, after the sea."

He raised an eyebrow at Garret reaching for his dagger before continuing, "The bar's a good place to ask at, but I'm wonderin' who everyone might know together, if they were a common group, who's still left? The disappearances seem aimed at fisherfolk, we might as well try to keep an eye on 'em, doubt there's too many here." Pulling his feet out of the water with a motion he almost seemed to pull the water off his skin before putting his boots on, "If I see ya at the bar later Fencen, I'll be sure to buy a round for ya. Wife may think you're too old for fishin', but never too old for some drinks and tales, yeah?"

Guard Quarters

Captain Azaso follows Mel inside, and they see the same open same open space they entered this morning, only less crowded than before. Lorelei and Liza are off to the side having a conversation in hushed voices, some guards are still lying on the beds with bandages covering different body parts. The captain turns to you and answers in a lower tone. "It's been a while, maybe over a couple weeks. That's why there has been loads of mercenaries in town, lots of jobs left since the Iron Guard can't follow every single threat straight to their hiding hole." The man sighs, "I sent someone to the city of Bankshire to tell the duke our problem. He said it was arrogant of us to ask for more money for such a small village. We've done what we can since then."

The Docks

Fencen goes to take another swig and realizes the bottle is finished, then he shrugs and looks intensely to the weird tricks Barost was pulling. "Other than bein' fishers they weren't members of any group, that they told me. The village survives thanks to the fishin' we do here, it's the most common trade." He chuckles and lifts the empty bottle. "I don't think I'll ever be too old for a drink, lad."

As Barost gets his boots on, Garret motions for him to follow. "We should head round to the Glowing Driftwood. Fencen has been round long enough to know most people's dirty laundry, he's a good man."
Garret walks with a purpose, something seems to be agitating him. Suddenly he changes direction, heading for the Inn from the previous night. "Sometimes these bars can get a bit rough, most people respect me round here, but..." His voice trails off, his speech interrupted with more private thoughts.
"Let's see if the big fella is up for another adventure."

Climbing to his feet, Barost waved to the dragonborn as he left to follow Garret. "I liked him, reminded me of sailors I've known in the past, some even on th' same ship as me." At Garret's sudden change in direction it took Barost a second to catch up to the man, replying with a smirk, "Only most people, eh? Though, I don't think we should be plannin' on backups for violence. If we need t'bail, I could always fill a room with fog while we duck out. Wouldn't be the first time, doubt it'll be th'last either."

Mel nods slowly. "And you are getting less funds than before correct?" She sighs, "If so, either theres someone stealing the money. Or the Duke is cutting your funds down. Which he would have to tell you by letter at least." Mellis places a hand on the Captains shoulder. "Ill get to the bottom of this. Any village or city that is unprotected due to low funding isnt right. Safety first," She looks at the injured. "Gods know you need it, you could loose countless more."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread