Tales of Ikhorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murk hears the urodeli laugh and watches Garret investigate the wall that was apparently so funny, puzzled. After a few moments he stands next to him, watching as his hands seek out every nook and cranny. Finally he shrugs and knocks on the wall.

"It's stone. Come on, let's go."

Barost nodded as the urodelus spoke, running a hand through his hair, "I -- I don't tend to find anyone to speak it to. But maybe we can help you, hm? Make sure you don't fail the task? What did you need to do? I do feel bad everything turned so aggressive so quickly..."

Glancing at the others he frowned while they investigated the wall before looking back at the creature.

He nods silently for a bit before answering. "We were supposed to get her. We did that, yeah. Now, we were supposed to make sure no one got through. But we failed, we have already failed. We failed. I failed. The Current is not happy with that. No, no, no.... no." The urodelus keeps muttering "no" and shaking his head, which sounds like the constant dripping of water for those who don't speak Aquan.

Listening to the urodelus apparently begin to ramble, Barost placed a hand on its shoulder, focusing for a moment as the sparks from one hand arced across his chest and into the creatures shoulder, causing it to seize for a moment only to fall limp. Leaning the urodelus against the wall it seemed so fascinated in he turned to look at the others.

Clasping his hands, he spoke hesitantly, "So ... uh. They're pretty convinced the witch is important, and something about the moon and her blood. Whoever the 'Streampriest' is is probably not one to take lightly." He gestured further in, "... shall we?"

"Time is wasting. We should press on." says Kae, relighting his torch and stepping ahead of the group. He looks back over his shoulder to see if they are ready to head out as well.

Garret, who has been eating the fish for the past minuet or so watching the goings on. "Pardon me Barost, but could I borrow your crossbow? I have a feeling it's better if I hang back a bit next time. I'll buy my own bow when we get to town." Feeling somewhat embarrassed that he ran off without getting the appropriate supplies.

Seeing everyone else getting ready to go, he quickly grabbed the urodeli daggers and a fishing pole, and followed them further down stream.

After gathering all the information you could out of this second chamber of the cave system, you decide to continue downstream, to see what you could find down there. As the river continues at a steeper pace, though the water level remained the same, it leads to a bigger and deeper cavern mostly filled by an underground lake -- the final destination for the stream. Looking past the water, you see a small path of stone that circles around the other side of the lake. At its southernmost point, you can see a dark passageway that appears not to be as natural as the rest of this underground base. While at its northernmost point, it meets several smooth stone steps that lead to a natural balcony about six feet above the rest of the chamber. There, you can see an urodelus wearing a gray robe over their leather armor looking intently at the end of the stream, right where you surface. "I heard that I should be expecting visitors." Their voice reverberates on the stone walls, being clearly heard over the water noise.

Freezing as he heard the voice, Barost glanced at the rest of the party with a half surprised, half panicked expression. Clearing his throat for a moment, he started sparking his fingers again as he attempted a small bow, "Uh ... you must be the Streampriest then ...? Heard a lot about you. A-And the Current -- sounded pretty powerful, and you're already obviously quite smart." Barost tried a smile, "Sorry we didn't bring gifts ...?"

He coughed again, switching to Aquan, "Er, if this is more appropriate ... at least I can speak the same language as you all seem to?"

The streampriest looks over each of you calmly before answering. "You say you heard of me. You say you heard of our Lord. You dare to speak our language. Tell me why you are here. Tell me why you killed so many of my kind." After he says that, a faint breeze comes from the balcony, reaching those in the water.

Sparking his fingers for a moment, Barost spoke up again, "... we wanted the people who were taken from the village back. Is tha' not reasonable? Your own group killed people during their raid -- I attempted peace here but it was denied." Feeling the breeze, Barost glanced down at the water, trying to see through it before looking back at the priest, "I still wanna hear your side though -- why was this all neccesary?"

Narrowing his eyes slightly he continued, "And why are you so confident on your perch?"

Murk nocks an arrow and growls at the priest.

"Listen, you've got two options here, ya overgrown salamander. Ya can let us pass, give us back our people and live to see another slimy day, or ya can be target practice."

He pulls the arrow back, aiming it at him. Murk's tail whips about irritably, tired of being in the water.

"Don't make much difference to me, but seems like a waste of arrows."

The strempriest smiles. "I'm confident because I'm in my own turf. You guys are a ways away from that village." He opens his arms and nods. "Someone speaks the truth, at least. That would be a waste of arrows. Go back to where you come from. We don't need new prisoners. That means you have a much less purposeful end."

As the bolts behind him flew past and into the illusionary form of the Streampriest, Barost had gotten his answer. Unfortunately he was slow to react, on edge from how close some of the bolts had been to his head -- but seeing the new enemies move forward to attack, Barost returned to his favorite trick -- stepping forward and clapping his hands together -- barely hearing the two bodies fall to the ground as the air around him swirled, allowing him easy access to the balcony, and as he brought out his small dagger, looked up to see the crowd of enemies that stood staring at him.

The half elf paled slightly as he realized perhaps this hadn't been the best of ideas, but thankfully he managed to dodge blows aimed towards him. Still desiring to try and bring down the priest, he doubted the urodelus that struck at him would let him easily move, and reaching out with a hand recreated the spark that danced across his chest as he had before, leaving the creature's muscle twitching slightly from the current, and Barost free to run towards the priest with his dagger brandished. Reaching the priest he found him surprisingly hard to grasp for his lightning, and with his allies grouped so much, the thunderclap he favored had too much risk. Thankfully for some reason the priest crumpled to the ground, and the last foe gave up easily. Kneeling down, Barost quickly checked over the priest, finding only a small dagger and a necklace with an opaque deep blue stone.

Studying it for a moment he shoved it into a pocket for now and gave a deep sigh, turning to look over the group, "Did ... we really just survive all that?"

Murk had enough talk. The priest made his choice. He let an arrow fly ... and it passed right through the lizard's chest. Murk growled, ears flattening against his head.

"Of course."

His compatriots attacked quickly, and Murk spotted the real priest on an upper balcony. He deftly climbed the cave wall, claws finding easy purchase in rough stone, and mounted the balcony. He focused his ire on the priest and fired. The arrow found flesh this time. Having gotten a look at the priest's magic, murk decided guerilla tactics might be wiser, and climbed back out of view. At the right moment he climbed again, firing but missing. Another shot a moment later grazed the priest. His eyes were betraying him in the darkness. Murk prepared another shot, only to watch the priest fall the ground, dead. He nodded his appreciation to the half-elf who slew him.

"Nice work, Garrus." He walks up to the priest and pulls out two of his arrows.

"oh good we're fighting ghosts now. Welp, good luck big guy," Garret muttered a quick spell under his breath, to give the giant strength. This was of course after an arrow passed through the priests head.

Then they were coming out of the walls it seemed, madness took over his mind.
stupid arrogant Mel, I'll put a bolt in her head for being so smug. Wait what am I doing?
He had almost put a bolt in Mel's back in his rage. Enough was enough, Garret player like never before. He played to inspire friends, to give them strength.
Then he changed his tune, to one of whispers and violence. The stream priest screamed in agony, and the final warrior restrained.

Stopping to breathe he searched the room. An old key, hidden away caught his attention, what could this be for? "We've got an old key here, no idea what it is for though."
He pocketed the key for later, and looked to his companions. "Should we take this jewellery? It may belong to someone."

Last edited:
Kaesalor was quick to act, but he couldn't see any immediate threats. Checking behind a pillar he found one of the slimy bastards, flinging a javelin at it. It flew wide, which sent him into a rage. Garret cast an empowering spell on him and he threw another javelin at an enemy, but it missed again, hitting the stairs instead of their intended target. He rushed the urodelus, attacking it with his axe, but sadly, missed again. He recieved a hit from his opponent, but his rage and and the spell cast on him allowed him to resist the stab.

He grabbed the urodelus by the scruff of his neck and raised him to his eye level, the little thing's feer dangling several feet in the air. By this time, the fight was mostly over, that creature being the only survivor. Kaesalor roared in its face with the ferocity of a bear, at which the urodelus surrendered without hesitation. Not wanting to shed any more blood unnecessarily, the Firbolg calmed down. "Tie him up! He might know something useful."

Sighing as the arrow flew through the supposed priest, Mel quickly got to work on attacking the rest. Helping out kaesalor with a few on the ground floor.
Seeing the bolt produced by Garret fly past her, Mel glared at the half-halfling. Before running up to the balcony and firing off some bolts. She ran past the first two, trying and failing to attack the real priest. She let out a breath of relief as the urodeli fell.
"I'm sure, if all else, the jewelry will provide a little coin. If there is anything else that is to do with it, then why leave mysterious undiscovered." She pats the firbolg on the back. Going to tie up the urodeli.

Garret approached the urodeli Mel had just finished tieing up, kneeling down"hey pal, looks like we have found ourselves in quite the pickle eh? Listen do you understand common?"

The urodelus just glares at the half elf with its two small black eyes. "Ya, human. Why not dead and together with Currrents? You ruin it!" He opens his mouth to hiss and looks disappointed that the acid doesn't come out again.

Garret senses the hostility in the creature, "yeah, you see that ooze dripping from the priests head? Thats his brains, and I can do the same thing to you. Your friends are dead, you can join them to. Now where are the prisoners?"

Murk slings his bow over his shoulder and pulls one of his shortswords, flipping it over in his hand, swinging it a little and looking pointedly at the urodeli's throat.

"Beat me to killing the priest. Can I have this one?" he asks, extending the claws on his free hand and baring his teeth.

The urodelus's gaze shifts between the dead priest, the blade and the weirdly jolly half elf standing close to him. "The victims are that way," he nods to the carved passageway on the other end of the chamber, "without this streampriest we failed. We won't see blood taint the waters. We failed Him. I failed him." And just like the one before, he starts muttering in his own language, a sound close to dripping water coming out between sobs.

Feeling a little ... sad he supposed, given the body language of the last urodelus and the fact the fight had obviously left him, Barost returned to sparking his fingers as he listened to the conversation. When the urodelus returned to Aquan, Barost sighed, "More of the same as before ..." Rubbing the back of his neck he added, "Makes me wonder what all this was truly supposed to do ..."

Approaching the ledge he looked the direction that had been pointed, "Do as you will with 'im ... though it might be worth keeping him alive for a bit longer incase there's more ahead that we donno about." Looking back at the creature he lowered his gaze, "I know we came out here to rescue people, but it's a little ... depressing to hear them speak like that. They're obviously intelligent ... I wonder why none of them ever tried to live in towns or in villages."

Mel sighs. "Their reason for how they live is none of our concern." She makes her way down to the side-rooms door. "But I agree on keeping him alive for now."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread