• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tales From Distant Lands

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Pippin's ears perked up at the sound of Elias approaching. The collie turned his head to look at the boy, but this time instead of barking or growling, Pippin gave a wag of his tail in n greeting. Hava looked up at Elias.

“Oh, hi Elias,” she said. She nodded before turning her face away from him so he wouldn't see her tears. “I'm sorry I left you like that. It was rude of me.” She lifted a hand to wipe away her tears, but no matter what she did, she couldn't seem to make them go away.

“There's too much salt in the air,” she said finally, her voice cracking as she tossed her hand in defeat.

Elias took the spot next to her on the rock, patting Pippin's head as a greeting before leaning back on his arms. The boy waved his hand at her apology, "It's perfectly fine, I ought to be the one apologizing, really." He looked off onto the dim horizon as he listened to Havilah try to hide her anguish and inevitably succumb to it.

"It's always too salty out here," Elias conceded to preserve the shepherdess's pride, "It's quite suffocating a times. It's hard to hear over the waves as well. It all makes you want to get away sometimes, doesn't it?"

They sat in relative silence for a few moments, the bustling wind and the breaking of waves carried out their dialogue in the pair's stead.​

Hava gave a half hearted laugh as Elias gave his apology.

“What have you to apologize for? she asked. She brought her knees up to her chest and she rested her chin on them as she looked out at the waves.

“Sometimes,” she said. “But where would you go?” She was silent for a moment before continuing. “The mountains are always nice.”

"If I'm being honest, I'd have to admit I'm pretty useless. A more heroic person could have told that Byrne man to beat it with ease," he said with a sorrowful smile.

"That's right," his insecurities whispered in his ear, "You've never been able to save anyone. What makes you think this time could be different? " The suppressed memories of his greatest sin were stirred anew. Nothing scared him more than the possibility of being forced to relive it.

"They are beautiful. I would keep going, though. If you ventured out to the mountains, why not keep going and make it all the way to the capital?" Elias recalled the streets and buildings that occupied his earliest memories like an old dream. He wondered what they were like now. Did the city still bustle with the sounds of thousands of lives? Only the Gods could tell.

"I would go where ever I pleased. You should as well. We're free, are we not?"​

Hava glanced at Elias. She honestly couldn't see how he could call himself useless. He had tried to speak up on her behalf, if only a little bit. And he was here now. In some small way she found it comforting.

“I've never been to the capital,” she said. “I grew up in the highlands. Being here in Haven is as close to living in town as I've ever been.” Her eyes over his face, her curiosity growing. “Have you been there? To the capital?”

Elias's eyes became listless as he thought back to some of his earliest memories. "Yes, actually. I originally lived in the orphanage on the outskirts of the city. I got away to Haven at a pretty young age though, so it's been years since I've set foot in the place."

As Elias recalled it, the capital was truly a mixed bag. He had seen the parts many wished to ignore firsthand, but at the same time he could not deny its allure. Compared to Haven, there was far more potential there.

"It's quite the place, truly. I wish I could show it to you," Elias said, smiling at the thought of such a journey.​

Hava's eyes turned soft with sympathy as he spoke. An orphan. Elias had never known a family. Hava couldn't imagine not having a family. She didn't really remember her mother since she had died not long after Hava was born, but she always had her father. She inched closer to Elias and put a hand on his arm.

“Maybe one day we will go there,” she said, giving him a smile. “You can show a country girl like me all the sights.”

Havilah's touch carried a warmth with it that he had not felt before. For reasons Elias could not have understood, it set his mind troubled with memories of the past at ease. It allowed for him to reflect on how pleasant this melancholic moment was. He laughed a little bit at her comment, silently thinking to himself, "As if I were a city boy." The boy wouldn't mind if they stayed like that, simply talking forever.

But that wouldn't be possible. She'd be married away to that self-absorbed nobleman within a fortnight, and she would disappear from his life. A fleeting hint of purpose in an otherwise confused existence, never to return.

"If you'd rather not spend your life married off to that Byrne man," Elias began timidly, aware of the preposterous of the proposition he was about to make, "we could go. Soon."​

Hava's eyes widened in surprise. Was he really suggesting that they leave Haven? Hava felt a bit of hope begin to swell up inside her. The temptation to just pack up and leave was so irresistible. And for a moment, Hava almost said yes. If they left now, she would never have to worry about being married to that terrible man ever again. But then…

“What about Papa?” she asked, giving voice to her thoughts. If it wasn't for his injury Hava wouldn't have to worry about him. She would know that he'd be okay. But as it was…

Conflicted, Hava looked away from Elias. She wanted so much to go. But worry for her father made her stay. What was she to do?

Elias sighed with disappointment at the nature of their circumstances. He knew it was true that Peric relied on his daughter and would be unlikely to make it on his own. It was understandable that Haviliah would be hesitant.

However, the look that filled Havilah's eyes when she realized that something could be done allowed Elias to cling to that hint of hope. His mind raced to think of what accommodations could be made for the old man if they were to depart.

"I'm not sure, to be honest," he said, unable to think of anything at the moment. "If only there were someone he could live with while we were gone..." Another silence filled the void that seemed to form.

Then it hit him. If he were to leave Haven, there would be room available on the farm. All Elias would have to do is convince Kormak to let the Peric stay in his stead, despite the old man not being able to earn his own keep. The boy's face lit up as he excitedly explained the rough idea of his plan to the shepherdess.​

As Elias told her his idea Hava's eyes brightened as she listened. With each word that small glimmer of hope she had felt began to grow. In her excitement she placed a hand on his thigh as she turned to face him more fully.

“Maybe to help we came offer our flock as well,” she said giving his thigh a pat. “And…” Hava paused. “My family use to be world renowned for their quality wool and dyeing methods. Papa and I are the last ones the know these methods. Papa could teach them to other hands. Old Man Kormak would be the first farmer to acquire this knowledge.”

Excitement was build inside of Hava until she thought she might burst. She wouldn't have to marry Bryne after all and they would be able to see what other places were in this world.

Elias was overjoyed by the positive reception of the idea, giggling a bit with his own excitement for a moment. He was surprised when Havilah suddenly turned to him, and his face became flushed when she touched him. For some reason, he couldn't seem to make eye contact with her as she spoke but still smiled nonetheless and hoped the night would hide his cheeks.

"T-that's fantastic!" He sputtered out, trying to regain his composure. "There should be no issue with convincing the old man then, despite him being utilitarian. He should be happy to have some company similar to himself as well."

Elias hopped down from the rock on which they sat to save himself from further embarrassment in himself. Despite the shock, he couldn't help but smile at the shepherdess. He placed his hands on his belt as he turned to face her, disclaiming, "You should probably think on it, though. It's a really big decision."​

Not realizing the effect her touch had on him, Hava remained sitting where she was on the rock.

“I won't have time,” she said, her smile dimming slightly as she thought of Byrne. He would be returning in a fortnight to claim her, whether she wanted to or not. The thought made her shiver.

“I'll speak to Papa tomorrow,” she said finally sliding off the rock. She dusted the sand from her skirts before turning back to Elias. “You speak to Kormak and we'll figure this out.”

The shepherdess was right, they would have to make their escape sooner rather than later. Elias formulated his plan within his mind and decided to start on the preparations immediately once he got back home. He began to steel his resolve; he couldn't take no as an answer from Kormak. Nothing but an unshakeable resolve would convince the old man.

"I'll be sure to have things settled on my end," he said with a smile containing all of the confidence he could muster, true or otherwise. He turned away and began walking inland, calling out over his shoulder, "We'll meet again tomorrow, okay?"​

“Alright,” she said with a nod as she waved after Elias. She gathered up her bucket and spade, there obviously wasn't going to be any chowder for supper, and hurried off to her own home. Now that their plan was in motion, there was nothing that could dash her hopes now.

Elias slid his beaten shoes on as Havilah hurried back home. He took one last look out over the ocean before setting back on his own way. This was likely to be the last time he would get to breathe in the sea-sprayed air or watch the waves roll in and crash against the shore for some time to come. The boy reflected on how truly extraordinary this day had been by any standard. In the span of a few hours, he had dedicated himself to a journey that would allow a young shepherdess to escape from a lifetime of misery. "Good Gods, this ought to be interesting," he thought to himself, turning with a cheeky smile on his face as he made his way back to the farm.

The boy quickly made his way through the woods and pastures that stood between him and the farm. Before too long, he could make out the unique pattern of lanterns that marked the front of his rustic home. He crept up on the porch of the farmhouse, careful not to step on any of the creaky boards or give himself away. He snuck through the house in the manner in which only someone who knew its every crook and cranny could. To the right, the main living room split off into a hallway lined with stall doors on each side. This was the so-called servant's quarters; a former stable that was renovated into a series of small bedrooms. The boy slid into his room like a shadow, silently cracking open his dresser and gathered his few belongings into a canvas rucksack. Elias tidied the room up a bit, nonverbally saying goodbye to all of the sleeping farmhands he had worked and lived with.

The only other thing Elias had to gather was rations. He made his way to the storerooms, finding an unused grain sack along the way. He slowly prodded the door open, stepping into the tightly packed space. The smell of staple crops gave the room a unique ambience, one that could only be described simply by being there. He filled the bag with bread as well as smaller sacks of oats and grain, being careful to disguise the scene as if nothing had been taken. Elias stuffed a small cast-iron pot in as well before tying the bag closed, slinging it over his shoulder. He paraded his spoils through the halls leading up to the kitchen, confident he would be able to finish his preparations undetected.

The soon-to-be escapee had almost opened the latch to the back door when he heard the Old Man speak behind him. "Ah, Elias, there you are. It has gotten quite late you know," he said with an aged smile, "Where have you been, I wonder?"

Elias tried to speak, but his words became entangled in his throat. He had to swallow nervously before he could respond. "It has been quite a big day, Kormak. It's a bit difficult to explain immediately, but there's a girl who needs help," Elias decreed, gaining more confidence with each word he spoke. "I can't simply sit by and do nothing."

The Old Man's eyes narrowed in amusement. "Oh? So you're off to elope?" Elias's eyes widened as he found blood rushing to his face yet again, resulting in Kormak laughing heartily. Amidst the mumblings of the boy's denial, the old man disclaimed through his laughter, "Only a joke, my boy. Only a joke." He walked past Elias, undoing the latch to the back door. "Come now," he said, gesturing for the boy to follow as he head out to the stables.

The Old Man took down one of the lanterns hanging outside of the stables, casting a dull radiance on the wooden walls as they entered. They made their way to the end of the structure, upon the wall of which rested a small wooden chest among other things. "To tell you the truth, my boy, I always had a feeling a day like today would come. From the moment you came here, it was plain to see you would want more from life than just this farm. Here, why don't you put a saddle on that draft over there?" Elias, slightly confused, set down his luggage and did as the Old Man said as he continued to talk. "So, I'll support you in your decision. Hopefully it is your decision though, and this girl isn't simply fooling you." The Old Man chuckled as Elias shot him sidelong glances.

Elias had just about finished placing the bridle on the workhorse when Kormak approached him with a few items in his hands. "You'll both starve if you try to live off of grain alone. You will need actual sustenance before too long," he handed Elias a long recurve bow before securing a quiver of arrows to the horse's saddle, "and you'll have to use this to get it. It may have been a few years, but I know you still remember what I taught you of hunting." Kormak reached up to pat the side of the draft, "As for your new equine companion, I think he will be quite content with the wild grasses you come along." Elias stared into the intricate patterns carved into the bow, unsure of where to even begin. After being given so much by the old man without question it became exceedingly difficult to ask for anything more.

"Thank you, Kormak, I mean really," Elias began, pausing as he prepared himself for his selfish request, "But there's one more thing." He explained to the old man the situation of Havilah's father, how he could not live or work on his own and needed others to look after him. Elias was quick to include the potential economic benefit for Kormak, hoping that he hadn't ruined everything by seeming too greedy.

The Old Man listened to him contemplatively, and for a moment Elias thought he saw anger in his eyes. However, his response reassured him, coarse as it was. "Well, considering we are having a room open up, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. It will likely be even more valuable having a skilled individual like him around in your stead." Elias sighed as a great weight was lifted off of his shoulders; he had managed to fulfill his end of the bargain after all. He could practically see Hava's smiling face already, and some subconscious part of him longed for it.

"Have him come by whenever, me and him can discuss the details ourselves. And just one more thing of my own," he said mockingly as he turned to depart, "There are some traveling clothes in that chest over there. You'll die of exposure in the rags you are wearing presently. I wish you luck, my boy." Before the old man exited the stables, he turned his head to address Elias one final time. "If you get the chance in the future, please do visit." And with that, he disappeared out of sight, not to be seen again by the boy for a long time. "I'll miss you to, Old Man," Elias whispered to himself.

Elias kept the horse trotting at the pace of a casual walk. He was in no rush, all that was left to do was hope everything would work out for Havilah as well. The boy navigated himself to the pasture in which the pair first met and dismounted from his horse in the middle of it. He fell into the grass, an action his steed mimicked with a bit more grace. Normally, Elias would be much too cold to fall asleep in the pastures at night, but the traveling garments proved to be far finer than his previous clothes, just as Kormak had said. He had dawned a collarless white shirt with true sleeves beneath a tuscan-red tunic, kept under control by a thick leather belt. A proper pair of boots rose up to his ankles, covering the ends of his durable khaki trousers. The hooded navy traveling cloak he wore seemed to blanket him, causing him to drift slowly and comfortably in to sleep in the middle of the pasture. The draft next to him follow suit without complaint.​

Despite the late hour, Peric was still up by the time his daughter had returned. Hava sat beside her father and the two talked long into the night. When Hava was finished telling him about Elias and the plans they had made to leave Haven, Peric closed his eyes and was silent for a long moment. When he opened them he arched an eyebrow at her.

"This wouldn't be because of the boy would it?" he asked her.

"Of course not, Papa," she replied with a shake of head in sligh denial. Though she felt heat rise in her cheeks as her thoughts drifted to Elias. "You know me." Peric gave a warm chuckle.

"Yes, I know you," he said. He reached out and gently cupped her cheek in the palm of his hand. "You're like your mother in that regard. I never could persuade her otherwise once she got an idea in her head." He was silent again for a moment.

"Bryne will be disappointed," Peric said in warning. Hava's eyes hardened and rose her chin stubbornly in the air.

"I really don't care," she stated with a huff. Once again Peric chuckled.

"I know," he said. His blue eyes turned sad as he looked into her face. "My Little Bird, are you sure this is what you really want?" Hava gave him a warm smile and nodded, tears coming to her own eyes. Peric smiled. "Then I give you my blessing." Peric tenderly pressed his forehead to hers. "Now, it is late and I believe you will want to start out in the morning. So let us find our beds."

The following morning, Hava gathered together a pack and began to fill in with things they would need. Candles and string found their way into the pack along with other items she thought might be useful. As she was finishing her father stepped up to her with what looked like a silver necklace in his hand.

"This was your mother's," he said as he reached to thread it around her neck. The pendant was delicately made and was entirely sliver with knotwork etched into it. Peric pointed at the etching. "That is the sigil of the Llewellyn clan. It was to go you when you married, but I thought you should have it anyway." Tears filled Hava's eyes as she put her arms around her father in an embrace.

"Promise me that you'll be safe," he said, his voice cracking with emotion. Hava nodded as she buried her face in his shoulder.

"I promise, Papa." They pulled away and Peric gave a cough to clear his voice.

"Well, then. I believe I shall pay Old Man Kormak a visit." He then gathered up his walking cane and stepped out of the house. Hava watched him leave before turning to wrap up a couple muffins for her and Elias. She put on her cloak and gathered up the packed.

At the door, Hava paused and looked back at the little cottage. For a brief moment she felt a reluctance to leave, but remembering why she was leaving and that Elias would be waiting for her, Hava turned and stepped out the door. She and Pippin made their way to the field where they were to meet Elias. When she saw him Hava smiled.

"Elias!" she called out as she approached.

For once, Elias had managed to sleep soundly. He had no dreams that night, so he wasn't disturbed by the faint calling of his name growing louder as he gradually returned to consciousness. The boy's dark and cloudy vision cleared to reveal Havilah standing above him expectantly.

"Mornin' Hava," Elias said in the middle of a waking yawn. He sat up and stretched his arms, looking around to see that his horse had woken as well and was grazing nearby. "How did things go with Peric?" He asked with a hopeful smile, a blade of grass still stuck to his cheek. His legs shifted as he stood up to face Havilah, and he quickly brushed his clothes off before making a ring with his thumb and forefinger, whistling sharply. The horse galloped over to where the pair was standing, waiting obediently.

Elias reached into one of the small satchels that hung from his belt to reveal a small biscuit which he promptly tossed to Pippin. The collie caught it in his mouth, wagging his tail ecstatically as the boy reached down to pet his head.​

Hava smiled and raised her pack for him to see.

"Papa gave me his blessing," she said. She still felt a little sad about leaving him, but knowing that he would be okay put her at ease. "He said he would be visiting Old Man Kormak today so hopefully they can sort things out."

Smiling, reached up and brushed the piece of grass from Elias' cheek. Realizing what she had done, Hava looked away as her own cheeks reddened.

"I… um, brought us some muffins," she said reaching into her pack for the muffins she had wrapped in a kerchief. She unwrapped them and held one out for Elias to take.

"Perfect, so everything is settled then..." Elias's voice trailed off, fully realizing that now would be the time they truly left. It wasn't that he was already missing home, it was simply that he was entirely unsure of what to expect from the journey. His thoughts were interrupted by Havilah abruptly reaching out to him to pluck the grass from his face and her subsequent bashfulness. The boy wasn't so embarrassed himself, he simply laughed a bit at himself, unaware of what brought on the shepherdess's blush. "Looks like I might have slept for just a bit too long."

"Perfect timing," Elias said as he gently took the muffin from Havilah's hand despite clearly being eager to have something to eat, "I've been starving." The first bite was delicious, and after a moment of silent adoration Elias quickly finished off the rest. "These are really good! You're a goddess, Havilah," he said with a grateful smile before turning to the steed at his side.

"We better get going," the boy said as he adeptly swung himself into the horse's saddle and extended his hand down to Havilah. He was intent on getting enough ground covered before darkness set in so they could have a good start. "Have you ever ridden before?" He asked, waiting to help her up.​

"I'm certainly no goddess," Hava said with a laugh and a shy smile. She wasn't used to hearing praise for something she had made. Though she did feel happy that he had enjoyed the muffin.

"I can't really say that I have," she said taking his hand. With his help, Hava climbed up onto the horse behind him. Slightly startled by how high up she was and how the horse shifted beneath them, Hava clutched onto his cloak to steady herself. "Okay, I can definitely say I haven't been on a horse before."

Elias couldn't help but laugh a little bit at her unsteadiness. "Don't worry, it only takes a little bit to get used to," he said apologetically, "We have plenty of time, so I'll show you how to ride on your own eventually if you'd like." The boy used one of his hands to pull his cloak tighter so that she would have a steadier grip.

The pair rode down the narrow dirt road that would take them to the mountains as Pippin trotted alongside them. The breeze sent ripples through the tall grass that carried with them the scent of the wildflowers hidden among the pastures. Elias looked off onto the horizon as he estimated the time it would take them to reach certain landmarks along their path. "If we are where I think we are, it should only be half through tomorrow that we reach the mountains," he thought in a calculating manner. Other issues about regarding their welfare weighed on his mind, but he bottled them up for the time being.

Elias figured it would be as good a time as any to get the ball rolling between them. They would be practically living together for the foreseeable future, after all. "So, what's your story Havilah? You used to be a shepherdess and took care of Peric, but what about before that?" Elias asked, genuinely curious.​

Hava gave a nod when Elias offered to teach her how to ride.

"I think I would like that," she said with a smile. True to what he had said, Hava eventually got use to the horse's movements and began to relax. As they traveled, Hava fell into a silence as she took in their surroundings and admired the landscape. When Elias spoke next and asked her about her life before she and her father had come to live in Haven, Hava gave a shrug of her shoulders.

"Nothing exciting really," she said. "My Mother died no long after I was born so it has always been me and Papa." She pointed to the mountains in the distance. "I grew up there. Papa and I lived in the foothills and our flock was a lot bigger then."

Hava leaned forward and rested her chin on the top of his shoulder. Her eyes went to his ears and she once again found herself filled with curiosity. How could she ask about them without sounding rude?

"What about you?" she asked. "Did you always work on Old Man Kormak's farm?"

Elias listened to the abridged story of her past intently, both feeling empathy for the loss of her mother and a sense of curiosity as he tried to resolve the details of the distant foothills. He wondered whether he would get to see where Havilah grew up and be taken on a trip through the memories of a previous life.

"I was actually born in the capital, believe it or not," the boy said with a slight grin on his face as he reflected on the polarized transition he had previously gone through. Though, his smile faded more and more as he recalled older memories. "I'm sorry to hear about your mother. That's something we seem to have in common," he said somberly, "I never knew either of my parents. My first memories were of the orphanage in central Illium. I spent most of my childhood there until I ran away and found myself in the Old Man's care."

The pleasant images of the countryside through which the pair travelled were interrupted by flashing recollections of his early childhood. He saw himself backed into a corner, shielding himself from batterers in dimly lit stone rooms. He saw those who made a livelihood from the trade of human life making their regular visits. He remembered his one friend, the girl with odd ears like his own. He remembered the promise the two of them shared. He heard her screams as she disappeared from his world, never to return.

Elias's eyes grew wide with fear and his heart began to race as he feared he would be consumed by the specters his past.

It was Havilah that brought him back from the brink. The simple act of grabbing on to his cloak proved to anchor him in reality and the resting of her chin on his shoulder reminded him that he was not alone. Normally, the boy would have been flustered by the sudden contact, but in this moment he was incredibly thankful for it. Rather than be embarrassed, the boy simply smiled as an unfamiliar but warm sensation fluttered in his chest.

"My past is rather unremarkable," he said with a false confidence in hopes to hide his momentary slip. After all, If he was too weak to deal with his own past, he wouldn't be strong enough to make sure both him and Havilah made it to the capital. "But perhaps my future will be more interesting, now that we're together at least."​

Hava listened in eager silence as Elias told her about his childhood. She couldn't help but feel an overwhelming amount of sorrow that he had never known his parents and had virtually alone. Unaware of the his memories, Hava offered him a warm and kind smile.

"Yes," she said in agreement. "We're together now. And who knows what the fates might have in store." She was silent a moment before putting her arms around his waist and giving him a hug. "I'm glad you're my friend, Elias."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back