Experiences Taking other people's plots as your own

Snark Bait

hocus pocus
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey guys! Something has been bothering me for a bit, and I thought it might make for a good discussion so here I go. Fairly recently, on one of the other rp sites I frequent, I came across the request thread of a person I had a former, very short lived roleplay with. On that thread they happened to have the entire plot to the rp we were going to do on offer, which was shocking, because the rp I had with them died off because they said they weren't feeling the story at all.

Generally I don't think reusing old plots that didn't work out with new partners is a big deal at all. In fact, I often do this as well. Nearly all works of fiction are derivative of something else, and the nature of how roleplaying works means you'll never get the exact same outcome twice even with the exact same plot. But in this instance I couldn't help but feel personally attacked by this person taking that plot.

That particular plot was one that I came up with myself and was very near and dear to my heart. It also happened to be the basis to the comic I'm currently working on as a passion project of mine. So seeing someone take it after stating so explicitly before that they did not like it previously had me feeling upset for so many different reasons.

This whole ordeal has made me start questioning my own views on things like plot ownership and whether reusing the exact plot is stealing. But I'd also like to hear what you guys think.

I think plot reuse is fine if you completely own the plot, taking other's work- even if they only contributed a part of it- is absolutely stealing in my opinion. Based off your story it seems like this scenario definitely counts as theft by that logic. Morally, I'd say it's also pretty grey considering they said they didn't like it then proceeded to use it.
Something similar happened to me where I made the entire world for a roleplay and another person played in it, then they wrote a book off it without asking me and tried to publish it. At the time I was extremely angry with them and they couldn't understand why, so I can't say if the person who stole yours was trying to be malicious or not but there's a chance they just have a different perspective on plot-ownership. What is this perspective? I have no idea, I hope someone in this thread has some sort of answer.
I'm sorry this happened to you, but don't let them get you down, they can't write your stories the way you can ^u^

I will tell folks they can play in my sandboxes as much as they like. I would prefer some credit if they use it but it’s not a huge deal.

Then again a good 70% of my roleplays are fandom based. So I am used to considering a setting to be open to anyone to make their own.

I personally feel like you, for the lack of a better term, give up ownership of your ideas if you use them in roleplays with other people.

I've been thinking on and off about a plot I once had in a roleplay that didn't last longer than one post (mine), where the initial idea was the partner's but the actual scenario we came up with together, and really wanting to write that story myself. I always get stuck as to wondering if it would be ethical. I mean this was about 5 years ago so they probably have forgotten all about it by now anyway. But still. I do wonder.

I would strongly suggest not using ideas/plots/settings that you want to use for a solo work (comic, story, book, etc.) in a roleplay. It just opens a huge can of worms regarding ownership. Keep 'em separate.

I asked permission from my old rp partner about re-using our rp idea for a fanfic after we dropped the rp at some point and they said they didn't mind. So if I have a chance I'd rather ask for permission anyway to make sure it's alright.

However there was an idea I had a few years ago, when the contribution was about 50/50 between me and my partner but the rp never actually started after we did all the planning and that person disappeared so I have no way of asking permission. And about that one I'm conflicted because I like the plot but only 50% of it was my ideas, however it's not something I would want to rp without the other 50% because taking them out would make it entirely different plot. And I'm still not sure if I should reuse it given that some of it belong to another person.
I was considering to suggest my own part of the idea to someone else and see what they contribute, and it may end up along the similar lines as the first one.

While I agree that putting your ideas out in the open make it 'public' and someone might get inspired by them, I still think it's unethical to take someone else's idea and present as your own without any credit. Even in scientific research if you repeat the experiment that was done by someone else you don't have to ask their permission to repeat it but you still credit those people.

Fandom roleplays are a different thing though because they draw inspiration from a fandom by default and you can't technically 'claim ownership' of a fandom character if someone else wants to roleplay the same character. But even then the actual rp plot ideas may be original so I also would be wary of blatantly copying them.

Now personally, even if they only saw my threads in passing, I don't mind people using my plots. "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" as they say, so I feel proud rather than upset over it. That said, like anyone else I would appreciate at least a mention, or at least being informed that they are doing so, but nonetheless...
Furthermore, as a general case, I don't think there's a point in trying to do anything about the matter. The resulting argument would, most likely, prove fruitless and a waste of time and energy.

So, I see two questions here.
1. Is it theft?

This question to me is characterized by (A) A lack of ownership and (B) the loss of something. If either of these is not present, then something is simply not stealing. For instance, if you watched a movie which you would never have paid for otherwise, I wouldn't consider that theft, as there was no loss for any party involved.

I don't believe I would consider it theft in this case. You did not loose the plot, and odds are the community has enough roleplayers to make it so one person taking the plot from them does not mean someone who would take the plot from you no longer will.

2. Is it wrong?

This one I'm going a lot more by gut, but here are some cases I would consider it not wrong to use a plot, even without permission from the one that originally came up with it:
A) If one had a significant contribution to the making of that plot, thus having significant partial ownership of it.

B) If the plot is so generic or non-specific that one can't really claim ownership of it (A plot that is just "two highschool students with superpowers go on a journey to save the world" just isn't something you could really claim ownership of for instance)

C) If after investing significantly in the roleplay, though by means other than plot - setting, characters, etc... - the other person ghosts you. I would consider letting all that work go to waste to be the greater harm.

D) If the plot is sufficiently changed / adapted, as at that point it was inspired by not a copy of the original plot, even if they are extremely similar.

That said, I do believe that in the situation described, none of these criteria apply. As such, I would consider what they did to you wrong.

I am with a fair number of people that, since it is public, it is okay to imitate or copy a plot, but I personally would credit the original concept or inspired individual.

To me, what it sounds like is an alteration of maybe not plot but GM perspective, which can be rude or can not be, depending on the circumstances. If it is from someone dear to you, maybe turn a blind eye if you can. If you are making something for which you might profit from, well, that is an issue that I would bring up. In such a situation, if he shifts things, good. If not, maybe put a case up with a moderator on that site.

One of the backdrops to one of my group RP's was taken once and I've never been more flattered.

Hey guys! Something has been bothering me for a bit, and I thought it might make for a good discussion so here I go. Fairly recently, on one of the other rp sites I frequent, I came across the request thread of a person I had a former, very short lived roleplay with. On that thread they happened to have the entire plot to the rp we were going to do on offer, which was shocking, because the rp I had with them died off because they said they weren't feeling the story at all.

Generally I don't think reusing old plots that didn't work out with new partners is a big deal at all. In fact, I often do this as well. Nearly all works of fiction are derivative of something else, and the nature of how roleplaying works means you'll never get the exact same outcome twice even with the exact same plot. But in this instance I couldn't help but feel personally attacked by this person taking that plot.

That particular plot was one that I came up with myself and was very near and dear to my heart. It also happened to be the basis to the comic I'm currently working on as a passion project of mine. So seeing someone take it after stating so explicitly before that they did not like it previously had me feeling upset for so many different reasons.

This whole ordeal has made me start questioning my own views on things like plot ownership and whether reusing the exact plot is stealing. But I'd also like to hear what you guys think.

Sadly it happens, now imagine having your thought-out complex lore bastardized. Though my lore is intellectual property and I promptly had their forum shut down after they failed to heed my warning and ridiculed me.

Sadly it happens, now imagine having your thought-out complex lore bastardized. Though my lore is intellectual property and I promptly had their forum shut down after they failed to heed my warning and ridiculed me.

Remind me to never cross Zelena.

panic panic panic panic panic panic . . .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it depends on how much of the story they took. If they only took the basic idea, then legally it wouldn't be considered stealing, just inconsiderate of them not to ask. If they took the plot points or characters, then that's different. I'd be upset either way if this happened to me though, this is why I prefer to create new worlds and characters on the spot instead of using pre-existing ones. That way I won't be as attached.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it depends on how much of the story they took. If they only took the basic idea, then legally it wouldn't be considered stealing, just inconsiderate of them not to ask. If they took the plot points or characters, then that's different. I'd be upset either way if this happened to me though, this is why I prefer to create new worlds and characters on the spot instead of using pre-existing ones. That way I won't be as attached.

And they will be more shallow IMO. But this is a difference in style and preference and is wholly subjective. And yes, they can take aspects. But that isn't what happened. And if you read my lore, you'd probably be shocked at how unique it is. Not that I expect you to. I don't do typical Tolkien, DnD, or Anime, I don't do safe or cliche. My worlds are alien, as they should be, given they are...not our world...

I don't think it necessarily makes the RP shallow... I think it's a great way to loosen up and try something new. Writing with my pre-existing characters is fun too, I just prefer to develop those characters in my own stories. Just to be clear, I was just responding to OP, not questioning whether your story was really stolen ^ ^

I don't think it necessarily makes the RP shallow... I think it's a great way to loosen up and try something new. Writing with my pre-existing characters is fun too, I just prefer to develop those characters in my own stories. Just to be clear, I was just responding to OP, not questioning whether your story was really stolen ^ ^

I know, hence why I prefaced my statement as in my opinion and that it is wholly subjective. Some don't like things outside their box, others hate consequences. Some like no powers, mild-moderate, OP goodness. I have things I enjoy and things I feel are garbage or lacking. I would never state it as a fact.

I agree that it depends on what kind of ideas they snatched. I have seen lots of published authors say things like, 'steal from the best and make it your own'. The person needs to twist the original design and add value to the idea themselves or it is low-creative, intellectual plagiarism.

From what you said, you're putout bc they lied about why they didn't want to rp anymore. That never feels good. But a lot of people are just like that, sadly. Don't stress too much about bad rp partners, that's just a crummy part of the roleplaying experience.

In short, co
From what you said, you're putout bc they lied about why they didn't want to rp anymore.
To be fair, it's probably just a miscommunication rather than a lie.

When they said that they "they weren't feeling the story at all" they probably meant that they didn't like the direction the story had taken in the rp, not that there was anything wrong with the plot.

In short, co
To be fair, it's probably just a miscommunication rather than a lie.

When they said that they "they weren't feeling the story at all" they probably meant that they didn't like the direction the story had taken in the rp, not that there was anything wrong with the plot.

Usually I would have guessed that was the case too. But in this situation we barely made any posts to actually get anywhere in the plot before they decided to hit the road. I had literally only written two replies and the characters had barely met.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back