• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Take My Breath Away (Post Apocalypse)

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Timeline
Laws

It was the final days of the Holocene Extinction. Mankind had failed to heed the warnings of its scientists. Global Warming, depletion of the Earth’s natural resources, overpopulation, species extinctions. We were terrible custodians of our planet. In the end our ecology was pushed into a vicious unrecoverable cycle of unlivable conditions. By 2094 the population of humans on Earth dwindled to less than a billion. By 2097 when the last Enclave was sealed the combined population of the human race was under half a billion living in about 100 Enclaves.

Anyone with a felony was pushed to the bottom of the lottery lists and never made it. Anyone caught selling lottery positions to felons was removed from the lists altogether. There was a fair bit of corruption that made it past scrutiny. But most of that was for people who financed the Enclaves.

Today the Enclaves are a police state. Most of the industry is automated. Medical, Transportation, housing, and rations are all socialized. School is mandatory up to age 18 (except for Gifted minors who enter a special program). Advanced education is by test programs only and the only way to get a high end job. Most of those go to Gifted students. Everyone else gets basic subsistence, which isn’t bad. Those who want more have to compete for a college education. There are a limited number of hazardous jobs (see below). Security jobs require passing a thorough background check and psych evaluation.

Life in the Enclaves
Everyone gets room and board. The Internet is free for all. Public transportation is free and very well planned out. There is virtually no pollution, no littering, etc. These are illegal. It is a police state. Travel between Enclaves is restricted, requiring documentation and approval. It is pretty much closed to the general population.

Zoning is planned thoroughly. Each Enclave is basically a biodome. Everything is controlled - even reproduction. Food is rationed. Water is rationed. Also food is grown as efficiently as possible. Meat is synthetically cultured. Vegetables are harder to come by. Algae and seaweed have replaced most vegetables.

Some see life in the Enclaves as Utopia. Others see it as a prison. Very few know what life was like before as most media of the past has been censored. History is being rewritten.

Virtual reality has become one form of entertainment. But this is limited. Physical exercise is a legal requirement. Social interaction is enforced. This is presented as a sort of tough love. (Big Brother is looking out for you.)

Behind the Scenes
Do things sound a little too good to be true? Like the saying goes, it probably is. Fact is, the industry is struggling to keep up with maintenance. People are still being sent out to strip the old cities for raw materials to use to maintain the domes. The population is pushing the carefully controlled environments to their limits.

I just thought of what this setting reminds me a little of. The anime, Appleseed. Utopia isn’t as perfect as some would like. Unlike the anime, the world outside isn’t fit to survive in. And cyborgs aren’t really a thing. It is just man and machines - separately.

Hazardous Jobs
Most of these jobs take you out of the Enclaves on various missions. Most are to go out and obtain vital resources. Others are surveys to monitor the ecology. Regardless, anyone venturing outside must learn to work in CBR gear. Roles may be manual labor, security, or technical.

Technology
Fusion power had been fully realized. The means to create an efficient fusion reaction for power was fully realized by 2035. Unfortunately the raw materials to create the means was a rapidly diminishing resource. Today a single Scavenger vehicle has a cost comparable to some of the 5th gen military vehicles of today. Billions. They have a miniature fusion powerplant, quantum mainframes, and contragrav systems. These technologies are still in their early phases of development. Research was mostly abandoned once the Enclave Projects got underway. Research was finally picked back up in the early 22nd century.

Contragrav is being introduced in the hyperloop system that is being constructed, as well as the Scavenger vehicles. It is hoped that it will eventually make space launches viable once more.

Characters
I am going to be looking for a few types of characters.

Common Civilians - Age min 18. For life in the domes scenes. Most won’t even have a job.

General Technical Civilians - Age 22 min if degree completed. Student otherwise.

Gifted Personnel - This will take some work. An IQ minimum of about 160 is needed for this role. That would be low level Gifted. 180+ may get into some dark stuff, privy to secrets. There won’t be many of these, a mere handful per dome. Ages may vary depending on whether you are still a student or a working adult.

Security Personnel - Think in terms of Judges of Judge Dredd, Sandmen from Logan’s Run, etc. Age 22 min for active duty. Younger means still in training or lesser dome duties only.

Posting
3rd person past tense
Moderate literacy (I am not an ogre about this.)

I miss the old tag system... I know I missed some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back