Take Back the Crown

Kacel'la didn't think that anyone could look more confused than Aggie, but she got proved wrong as the woman looked even more shocked.

"You know what luvs, I'll leave you two to talk this out." She stated, not wishing to take part in whatever this mess was. So the elf spun on her heel, patted Aggies shoulder as a goodbye and walked back towards the main group.

@Tater

Phaedra nodded, not knowing what more to say at this point. Delving too deeply into the world of emotion was beginning to take its toll on her and twisting her stomach into knots. A familiar feeling was creeping up into the back of her mind - a response that told her to flee, to withdraw, to not lose the facade of her typical mild-mannered nature. Did it manner at this point? The others had already seen several facets of her personality by now, but old habits died hard.

Noticing the determination on Oceana's face, Phaedra decided perhaps it'd be time to allow the elf to think of other things for a moment. Though the huntress had even admitted that she didn't want to get close to anybody - much in line with Phaedra's own thoughts - perhaps this was what they both needed. Perhaps it'd give Phaedra further insight into the person that Oceana was.

"Perhaps you would share with me your favorite poem?"
Phaedra asked after a few moments had passed, giving a slight tilt of her head with a smile. She gestured slightly away from them as she began to float slowly in that direction, hinting towards walking around the market.

"Is it elvish? I've never heard much elven poetry or prose before."

Aggie opened her mouth to retort as Kacel'la turned on her heel, her brows upturning but she was already back at the caravan before she could grab her sleeve to keep her there. 

Looking up at Reinfeir, she slowly clipped her broach back to it's place on her shirt and wrapped her cloak back around herself and kept her lips in a straight line. What do you say in these kind of situations? 

Smiling softly at his daughter, Reinfeir held his palms out and cupped her face, brushing his thumbs against the tiny scars underneath her eyes,"You've grown into quite a woman." he managed to get out before Aggie took a step back away from his hands,"Upsetting that your mother took you away from me."

Shrugging a little she turned to look at the caravan, hoping to get a glimpse of Ashlar, Sveltana; someone. "How is your Mother?"

"Winry?" her head shot up, her brows scrunching,"Don't know. She kicked me out when I was 7."

Surprise and anger flickered across the man's face,"What? So she's not traveling with you? "

"No. " Aggie shuffled her feet slightly and looked down,"Look I. I am kinda overwhelmed as of late and I need to get back to the caravan. After we all settle I, we can talk and catch up I guess?" taking a moment she figured she would give him a handshake. 

Renfeir looked down at the offered hand with almost slight dissapointment before smiling and shaking it, placing his other hand ontop and giving it a shake,"I look forward to it. I shall mill around these parts of the merchants if need be. " reaching out, he brushed a strand of Aggie's hair away from her face and touched her cheek before the woman turned on her heel and hastily went back to the caravan, pulling her hood up over her head and hanging her head a tad.

/Gods above. /

The elven huntress blinked. Then a grateful grin split her face, tiny though it was. She knew what the Sylph was doing, the sudden subject change making it obvious. And she was grateful.
They began walking around the market and she decided to answer.
"My favorite poem is in the common tongue actually..." she said and cleared her throat.
And recited,
"I have gone out, a possessed witch,
haunting the black air, braver at night;
dreaming evil, I have done my hitch
over the plain houses, light by light:
lonely thing, twelve-fingered, out of mind.
A woman like that is not a woman, quite.
I have been her kind.

I have found the warm caves in the woods,
filled them with skillets, carvings, lights,
closets, silks, innumerable goods;
fixed the suppers for the worms and the sprites:
whining, rearranging the disaligned.
A woman like that is misunderstood.
I have been her kind.

I have ridden in your cart, driver,
waved my nude arms at villages going by,
learning the last bright routes, survivor
where your flames still bite my thigh
and my ribs crack where your wheels wind.
A woman like that is not ashamed to die.
I have been her kind."
Her voice flowed over the syllables despite her accent and she felt that lock inside unlatch for just a moment. She bared a sliver of her soul in that poem.
She waited a moment before mumbling,
"I have many favorite poems. But... When you, Phaedra, in particular asked my favorite poem that one came to mind.."
TeeKay TeeKay

Peering in the doorway of the caravan, Ashlar watched Svetlana display her natural healing abilities as he had nothing better to do nor any shops he wished to look at. He was surprised to find that she knew how to heal wounds with answers outside of magic, and he developed a greater appreciation for the witch. Knowing she would be with them every step of the way on this journey comforted him.

Then he saw movement in the corner of his eye. He stepped back a bit to get a better look. It was just Hjalmar getting back on his horse... Wait, did he leave to go somewhere? Ashlar questioned in his head before approaching the thief. He took notice of how drained and pale his skin appeared to be, he had an unreadable expression on his face, but even a couple feet away, Ashlar could feel his unease. Wherever he had gone, something must have spooked him because he looked like he had seen a ghost.

Clearing his throat, Ashlar made his presence known. Though Hjalmar probably already knew he was there considering he was a thief and needed to be capable of watching his back carefully as to avoid finding a knife in it. Hjalmar pulled his scarf up a little farther so it covered his mouth too in response to his approach, but Ashlar wouldn't press for answers.

"Look," he started, "I think you and I got off on the wrong foot. What happened recently, Alo's death, it has me thinking... we won't be able to function as a team if people don't get along with each other. I want you to know that I have your back, everyone's as a matter of fact."

Hjalmar didn't say anything, but Ashlar knew he got the message, "That's all I wanted to say." He finished, and then returned to his horse. Honestly, it seemed he got off on the wrong foot with everyone, especially after accidentally leading them through a crawler nest. Ever since then it seemed he had earned a bad reputation with most of the others. He was determined to change that.

He was pulled from his thoughts as he looked at a merchant stand full of jewelry in the market place- Aggie was standing there, along with a shady character that Ashlar didn't recognize, nor did he like the look of either. He was about to hop off of his horse and pull Aggie, who looked quite uncomfortable around the man, away from him, but she and the fellow who seemed to be a dark elf departed, and she was making he way back towards the group with haste in her steps. Ashlar relaxed and led his horse closer to her, "What was that all about?" He asked curiously, "Is someone giving you trouble?" He added, that time a little more protectively.
Vys Vys

Looking down at the necklace that the man bought for her, she looked up hastily as she heard the voice of Ashlar. Looking at him from under her hood, she held up the necklace and tipped his head towards the merchant,"That man, claims to be my Father." she tried to keep her voice from cracking, for she was quite overwhelmed."And bought me this as a gift."

Her horse shifted and tossed it's head to settle it's weight, making Aggie straighten her back and smiled at Ashlar, pulling her hood away from her face, offering a soft smile towards him,"But I'm alright." tucking a strand of hair behind her ear she put the necklace away in a saddle bag, "Kinda..overwhelmed though?" her voice finally cracked while she wrung her hands around on the reins, making the leather give a creak.

Lo Alyssa Lo Alyssa

(Where should I go next?) *Stares at the water gurgling in the fountain, and puts her hand in the water, briefly, but retracts from the cold.* *Slowly stands, heftly slings a backpack over-shoulder, and starts walking out of the market square.*

*Sees a child running past with a ribbon in her hand.* *Turns to look at stalls of bread and inhales deeply.* *Continues on, walking a wide arc along the shop stalls.*

*Momentarily glances down at her hand's ring, and turns it around her finger with quick twisting motion.* *The translucent amber ring glows in the sunlight.*

* A nearby merchants gaze is drawn to her gesture, and the assistant smiles, walking towards her with a beckoning arm raised.* "Now you look like you'd appreciate something fine, young woman--please do come and inspect our wares."

*Dásos looks towards the table, covered in small pieces of chain, glinting stones, and bright floral headpins.* *She's about to continue walking, when a ring catches her attention.*

(Like his...) *She remembers several hours earlier--having come into his room while he was dozing, and quietly taking the ring off the nightstand.* *She focuses on the ring on the table, which is a duller shade of clear orange, and begins walking towards it.*

Last edited:
Foxrun held his breath as he took in everything surrounding them. He had seen flashes of the destroyed kingdom at its former glory,But actually stepping foot in such a place? Never had he dreamed of such. He watched as his companions seemed to do their own thing, coming and going from the caravans. As much as he'd like to go from shop to shop, he still found himself glued to the same spot. It was all a bit overwhelming and he honestly would rather not go somewhere alone.Yet he didn't have the nerve to bother someone else to tag along, oddly enough. Instead, he continued to gaze around like a lost child, a rather obvious one at that.

@/ anyone (just throwing something out there, opportunity for some interaction maybe??? )

"You alright, Foxrun? You seem rather lost." Garrett chuckled as he walked over to the fey. He himself felt rather strange in the city, almost like his actions were changing on their own accord. He instantly stood straighter, shoulders drew back, his steps resembled more a soldier's march, and his eyes automatically searched for any trouble. If he wasn't smiling warmly as usual, he would be cutting quite a hostile figure. The mage couldn't help it, his city guard training was ingrained deep.

GalacticRam GalacticRam

A voice broke through his thoughts, shaking him from whatever sort of trance he had fallen in. Foxrun turned to see it was Garret, beaming down over him. "I feel like it too." He admitted, nearly laughing as he continued "and then there's you, looking right at home!" He gestured to the nearby shops, his way of asking him to accompany him to at least peek through the windows

L1d1ja L1d1ja

Bo was familiar with traveling between the many cities that scattered the continent, especially in his earlier years. It had been some time, however, since he'd passed through Tarfella. He looked on the great gates and wall with a renewed sense of awe at the sheer size of the city, but as soon as they entered the streets, the setting felt very familiar. The hustle an bustle was somewhat of a welcome thing after traveling for weeks through the mostly barren desert. As anticipated, their arrival drew a few curious looks from the locals and passerby, which he returned with a warm grin.

Despite the solemnizing events of yesterday, he would not let himself lose heart. The very fact that they were welcomed into the city - especially with their tattered and admittedly suspicious appearance - was in their good fortune, and he counted it as a victory for them. He wished though, that he could say he was looking forward to some sense of security within the walls of the city (he wasn't). He didn't want to get his hopes up too much, so in an effort to combat the possibility of impending disappointment he set the bar low, in the back of his mind, expecting attacks on their group or the crown at any point in time.

That of course meant that his thoughts (anticipating conflict) were then in direct conflict with his usual laid back nature. Ehh, why can't I have both though? He thought to himself. As they came to a stop in the middle of the market, and curious people were dispersed by Svetlana's announcement, he shrugged to himself.

He wasn't particularly interested in looking about the shops, even though there were a few things he could stock up on. Namely, he needed more clothes. He was in dire need of socks, and a new pair of pants. The only issue being, that what with his towering height and his large build, fitting clothes with tailors and such was always a chore, and a bore. So he decided to just stick by the caravans for the time being. Everyone else seemed to disperse quite quickly, and while he desired conversation he also was quite content just talking to his horse, Santo, while everyone else busied themselves with browsing the shops and whatever else. He hopped off her saddle and fondly patted her on her neck.

"You fit right in with the city folk." He commented to Santo, who, if it were possible as a horse, would've rolled her eyes. "Aw, don't give me attitude, Santo." He chuckled to himself. "You know you're a city horse at heart."

(for agapi mou!)

Last edited:
"Yeah, I'm rather more used to cities and villages than any of the places this group has traveled to far." Garrett shrugged, then watched Foxrun gesture towards the shops.
"Shall we go see what they have?" He suggested. He himself was also quite curious about it.

GalacticRam GalacticRam

"Here we have high-quality Algoran silver, for a much lower price than our friends across the street--of course, the designs are simpler, but our merchandise emphasizes the natural beauty of the Nation's more ornate minerals.."

*Dásos stops, a few feet away from the fine draping tablecloth, lifting slightly in the breeze, and stares quietly at the ring.* *The merchant's assistant observes speculatively, with hands holding each other at the waist.*

"Ah, I see you've taken an interest in one of the agate rings--feel free to try on anything you like, and do step in front of the mirror as you please, but may I?" *The assistant steps in alongside Dásos and picks up the ring.* *Dásos had also lifted a hand to take the ring, which the assistant then grasp lightly, putting the ring on the opposing finger as the other hand had on, then lifting it slightly to her face.*

"See--it fits you perfectly!.. Might I ask from where or whom you got the other one?" *The assistant smiles widely.* *Dásos stares blankly in return.* "..From, my maker..." *One of the assistant's brows raises momentarily.* (She must be joking--a family heirloom, perhaps.)

"It's only about ten silver at most, but for you, it'll only be seven. A fair price, no?" *Dásos looks back to her hand, and removes it from the assistant's grasp, reaching down to her waist pouch, and rummages a coin out of her the bulging purse.* *The coin flashes a golden gleam.* *The merchant's eyes widen slightly.*

"Ah, that is much too much for us to exchange at a modest establishment such as this, dearest. How about we added a few more pieces to fill in the gap? See here, if you ever get tired of wearing your rings, you can put this on a chain necklace--let me show you one of our finest quality wares." *The assistant pulls out a box from behind the table, where stacks of small boxes and a few locked chests reside.*

"The silver-smithy that made this piece is renowned for the finest links that never break--we always purchase good product from their workshop." *The assistant gingerly drapes the necklace around Dásos' head, and moves back to the row of boxes behind the table, with a hand on chin.* *Dásos blinks, still following the Assistant's position and handiwork.*

*Assistant picks up a long weathered box, draws a key from his pocket, and comes close to Dásos, speaking in a whisper.* "We don't normally advertise these kinds of things, but seeing as you're an important customer, we'd like to offer you one of our enchanted pieces--courtesy of the Wizards College. It's nothing spectacular, as I'm so told, but there are loads of options to choose from--we currently have multiples of safeguarding and Mana focusing items which are very popular with other students--especially when potions explode and students are too tired to channel magic properly. Of course we follow regulation, and don't sell bewitchment or transmutation enchantments of any sort--that means no glamour, amour, or counterfeiting--but we do have the occasional levity blessing --quite fun, but also requires a permit to own, for safety reasons.. Which would you prefer?"

*Dásos ponder's a moment, then recalled the Wizard's advice: "The world is dangerous if you're out alone, so stay close to me whenever we go out about town, okay?" The Wizard's eyes had been crinkled at the corners, and brows bent similarly to the assistant's current expression.*

"Safety."

"Of course, everyone could use a safety net, just in case.. Will that be all?" *Dásos slowly nods.* *The assistant takes out a little pin, which he reaches to attach to the collar of her vest, then takes the coin from her hand towards a locked drawer; after rummaging, the assistant returns with change in hand.*

"There you go Madam. Please do come again, with your friends, and let us know how our products fair with age and fair use!" *The assistant bows slightly.* *Dásos nods back, and looks a moment longer at the assistant, who was smiling broadly.* (I should go now.) *Dásos turns to leave, and makes her way again down the large walkway, shaped circularly around the large fountain that she sat down by just several minutes before.*

*A few minutes pass as she meanders past strangers.* *Dásos approaches a caravan, looking down at the carving of the wagon wheels.* *Her attention shifts to a man, getting off a horse some distance away.*

(Taller than everyone..) *Dásos slows to approach the man, as he pats the neck of his horse, whom he calls Santo.* *She tilts her head slightly to see his face, as he is half-smiling at the horse.*
"What do you see?" *Asks Dásos.*

(To Sound of mind)

Bo looked down at the stranger, his smile widening. The question was unconventional as far as introductions were concerned, but he was going to run with it.

"Well, I see that my horse doesn't appreciate my sense of humor, and I also see a stranger!" He said, gesturing to her. "I'm Bo. What's your name?"

A Agapi Mou

Bo tilted his head curiously at her response. He felt like someone else might be put off a bit by her unusual responses, but he was intrigued. Oddly it reminded him of himself as a kid.

He gave a short laugh of amusement. "Nice to meet ya Dasos! And uh, well, not... really. I guess you could say I don't always need to climb to get to things, haha. Cause... cause I'm tall. Heh."

A Agapi Mou

*Dásos thinks back to this morning, where from a tree, she sat and watched the sun rise.* (Then, from that height..) *A sudden thought came to Dásos, and she tilts her head towards Bo.* "Am I bald?" *She once saw the wizard rubbing his scalp with one hand, and a lopsided frown, with a breathy sigh, making mention of early balding, while meeting her gaze.* *She never saw him using a mirror.*

soundofmind soundofmind

Last edited:
Despite Dásos having the appearance of an adult, Bo began to feel more like he was having a conversation with a child. The good thing was, that he actually loved kids, and didn't mind the sporadic subject changes or questions they were prone to talk about. He however, also wanted to give her the respect that she, as an adult, was due, and didn't want to sound condescending. So as he had done with the past two questions, he just decided to roll with it. It was, in the very least, entertaining and engaging. He did wonder why she approached him in the first place though, (and it was then that small amounts of paranoia flared up, but they were dismissed when he unilaterally decided to give her the benefit of the doubt). He had to admit he kind of stood out, even apart from their entrance into the city that drew attention. That just happened when you stood several inches over most everyone.

"Doesn't look like it!" He replied, squatting down a little to point to her maroon colored hair. "See? You got a full head of hair. I'd say you're one lucky gal. Not that being bald is inherently bad by any means, but most people appreciate having hair."

A Agapi Mou

Last edited:
A rush of relief flooded over Foxrun that the soldier had agreed. He eagerly made way to one of the windos, a variety of things scattered for display. A resale shop?
He had no idea why he felt so anxious about the smallest of things right now, so in order to get rid of the feeling, he turned his mind towards questioning his companion. Which wasn't all bad since he actually hadn't talked much to him, or had he ever?? "So, why did you leave? You seem like you were a fine soldier, I'm sure the city guard wasn't too happy with losing someone of your caliber." He then realized that could be a very personal question to ask someone you hardly even knew "ah, don't feel pressured to answer. I'll probably ask a few too many questions."

L1d1ja L1d1ja

"Nah it's alright. You're not prying, and I have nothing to hide even if you did." Garrett instantly said when Foxrun expressed his worry about the question. "And yes, I was quite a good soldier if I may say so, even was a commander at one point. But then Dorian happened, and I chose to leave." He shrugged and then realized that maybe he should explain.
"I kinda got bound to him as his mage by accident. At first we tried to just ignore each other to try and break the bond, but no luck. And by then I couldn't go track him down and turn him in to get him killed; it's quite hard not to grow to understand and like someone when you hear their thoughts constantly. But then I got sent to another city for a task and discovered that apparently we couldn't go quite far from each other. It..."
He trailed off for a second, trying to find the right word. How could he describe how it felt like every sense was dulled as if wrapped in cotton, how his mind turned agonizingly quiet and lonely, how a paralyzing cold grew stronger with every step until it seeped into his very bones? "It hurt." He settled on the easiest word. "Dorian broke first and had to follow me on my travel, so I decided that maybe if I left completely, there would be a few less dangerous threats for my city." He chuckled at how idiotic the thought seemed now. "And now I have discovered that I could help more people by going where needed and doing what I find right, and not what others tell me to. The city guard are actually quite an unhelpful lot to those they deem beneath them, maybe except a few kind souls."
He stayed quiet for a moment, looking at the stalls and windows. "And how did you end up traveling to join this team?"

GalacticRam GalacticRam

The mage didn't need a word to describe what he had felt, Foxrun could read it all too easily as he merely recalled the incident. He hadn't expect such an honest answer, nor one as in depth, and the surprise was written clear on his face. "Dorian cracked first?" He almost whispered, even though nobody from their group would be near enough to hear. He found it hard to believe that the familiar would ever have admitted to such a thing. The ties between these two were actually very intriguing to learn about.

And as suddenly as he had asked it, the question was directed back at him. How was it that he had ended up crossing their paths? It took him a long moment to finally speak up "well, when I intruded on your group," he chuckled at the memory, although being held at the end of multiple blades wasn't quite as enjoyable at the time. "it was because I felt a sudden spike in magic that wasn't dark, like the remaining traces of magic used to destroy the kingdom." He sighed slightly, "as for what brought me there in the first place? I actually went to train and study in my own magic." He glanced at the man beside him before ducking into a small shop. "I guess it could be a rather long and complicated story, but to put it briefly, I had been running away from facing my problems. And I figured all the magic and emotion that still clings to that ruined city , and lack of people, was a perfect place to practice without any fear of others getting caught in the middle of it." He knew the answer was likely a bit vague, but he wasn't quite sure where to start, or exactly what to say. Finally he admitted, "Truth be told, I'm afraid of my own magic." And there were quite a few reasons behind that fear as well.

L1d1ja L1d1ja

Garrett listened quietly as Foxrun spoke, nodding along to the story. It was vague, but still rather interesting to listen to. He was not very surprised when Foxrun admitted to be afraid of his magic. He had been rather frightened of his own powers when he was younger, as he had been the only one with any magic in his family, and he still remembered many other mages feeling the same when they were training for the city guard. The soldier also remembered what was told to him.
"Magic is only something to be wary of when it's not your own, like a blade is to be wary of when it's not in your hand. Magic is like a limb, you have to learn to use it: It's like learning to walk. You'll stumble, you'll fall, you'll hurt yourself or even others, but at the end it is will be like second nature." He stated. "I actually used to set myself on fire when I first discovered how to use magic. Can't count the times I had to jump into a river. Or a well. That happened once too." He joked to try and lighten up the mood.

GalacticRam GalacticRam

The mage spoke from experience, that was very obvious. Even with the joke, his words held an inspiration for Foxrun, who couldn't hold back his laughter. Not only had this man provided him with a way to be distracted from recent events, he had also given him some much needed advice. He knew what he said was true, he knew from his own experience as well as seeing it first-hand. "Sometimes I can't help but wonder if the risk would be worth it. My father pushed himself too far, not because he wanted to however, still, it was what lead him to ruin." Even with the not so cheerful statement, he still flashed a smile at his companion. "You are right, there is a balance to be found, with any magic I suppose." He plucked a small marble from one of the tables, holding it to the sun and squinting at it. "I can show you how I see certain things if you like?" He then offered the small sphere to him, adding "I know I must seem rather full of it right about now as well."

L1d1ja L1d1ja

Lucasta sat in the caravan, holding the crown in her palms. The memory of Alo's death still lingerd in her mind. She thought that somehow this was her fault. She clutched the circlet and bowed her head in hopelessness.

Everyone has departed from the group and went to explore the city. They all seemed in higher spirits, but Lucasta just couldn't shake it off.

"Perhaps if I do something else, I can move on..."

She stuffed the crown into her satchel, and exited the caravan. She made sure she had some coin with her just in case she ran into something that caught her eye. Thankfully, she still had plenty to spend. She started wandering around the yard, glancing at the various shops and stands everyone had displayed. Nothing seemed to interest her, but she soon came across a stable. Svetlana had horses, but they weren't for everyone. Lucasta usually rode in the caravan and was interested in riding a horse for awhile. A fine creature like that could be a useful ally in battle too. She convinced herself and ran inside.

The strong scent of hay and manure filled her nostrils. She almost gagged at the sudden smell, but what else would you expect from a stable? She walked down the line of stables, each horse majestic and gorgeous in their own way. She stopped at one such horse who was shorter and stouter than the rest. He had a white coat with tan patches, and big brown eyes. Even though he was small the princess felt a connection. She smiled and placed her hand on his snout, petting the horse gently.

A man walked up behind her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Excuse me miss." He interrupted. "Does this horse interest you?" Lucasta nodded and gave a small grin. "He is quite cute." She replied, giving the horse a small final pat before turning to the seller. "How much?" She asked. "40 gold pieces. Usually we charge 60, but this poor guy wouldn't sell. Most said he was too small to work." He explained. Lucasta pulled out her sack of coins, and counted out the amount. "That's a shame. I think he's beautiful." She handed the gold to the man and he departed, grabbing a lead to hand to the princess. "He's all yours." He grinned. He fastened the lead to the horse, then opened the gates. "Thank you very much." Lucasta smiled, then taking the end of the rope to lead her new friend out of the stable.

She pet his neck as they walked towards the caravans, talking to him about names.

(Lucasta is free to interact with? I wasn't sure how to go about posting but I found a wayy.)

(Also I'll replay as Lilith later. I'm writing on a sucky iPad and it lags when I type. It's taking forever just to form a sentence. QAQ.)

Garrett was really curious about what happened to Foxrun's father, but decided to better not ask as he didn't want to pry. He wondered about Foxrun's suggestion for only a moment before shrugging. "Why not."
After all, the best way to understand someone was to see the world how they did, or at least that's what the soldier believed.

GalacticRam GalacticRam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back