Other Tabletop systems and settings you want to try

Why'd they hate it? I always hear it as the first thing to be suggested any time someone brings up a power-heavy setting.

I think it was mainly to do with the amount of work that had to go into making all the villains. He's not the type to half-ass anything, so he really put a lot of effort into crafting the storyline and making a lot of villains for us to fight every week. It was his first time running it I believe, so balancing out the fights was probably a big hassle, along with having to create characters with unique subplots.

It was a ton of fun to play though. I'd imagine if one were to utilize more pre-built opponents to fill out the sessions (or possibly create a few missions that aren't so combat heavy to pad out the story), it might be a little easier to run. I do think my GM enjoyed it at least a little, or at the very least he did a really good job keeping things action packed through the whole game. But it's definitely the sort of game that requires a lot of preparation.

I cannot for the life of me remember what system M&M uses - some variation on Savage Worlds, isn't it? It can't be ORE, too complex.

Sounds like your GM had a good group and likes the setting material, that can keep you motivated even when you hate a system.

MASKS is a really good new superhero game, albeit with a tight focus on young heroes.

I think it was mainly to do with the amount of work that had to go into making all the villains. He's not the type to half-ass anything, so he really put a lot of effort into crafting the storyline and making a lot of villains for us to fight every week. It was his first time running it I believe, so balancing out the fights was probably a big hassle, along with having to create characters with unique subplots.

It was a ton of fun to play though. I'd imagine if one were to utilize more pre-built opponents to fill out the sessions (or possibly create a few missions that aren't so combat heavy to pad out the story), it might be a little easier to run. I do think my GM enjoyed it at least a little, or at the very least he did a really good job keeping things action packed through the whole game. But it's definitely the sort of game that requires a lot of preparation.
I remember Green Ronin is pretty good with giving templates to speed up the process.
If that doesn't work, the M&M community has builds for whatever kind of character a DM would use for a campaign. It's good for characters with ill-defined or weird powers that they really wouldn't think to build part of the game around.

I cannot for the life of me remember what system M&M uses - some variation on Savage Worlds, isn't it? It can't be ORE, too complex.

Sounds like your GM had a good group and likes the setting material, that can keep you motivated even when you hate a system.

MASKS is a really good new superhero game, albeit with a tight focus on young heroes.
M&M uses the D20 system, I think.

And Masks is fun as hell. I'd totally recommend that one.

To pop in my own thoughts here I've DMed a couple of campaigns using DND 5e with some rules mixed in from earlier editions. (Including a few house rules I've made). and I've got to say, It ain't my favorite. But I've been really interested in trying others like, Call of Cthulu, Fear itself (Or any GumShoe game,) Fate.

Gumshoe is legit, and the most recent edition of Call of Cthulhu is really solid.

I like FATE a lot and was thinking of doing a Night Vale game with it.

Gumshoe is legit, and the most recent edition of Call of Cthulhu is really solid.
Speaking of Chaosium, is any of the Basic Role-Playing stuff any good?
I impulse bought some of the Elric RPG stuff at a Half-Priced Books (and really, that's the only kind of buying you do at a Half-Priced Books) but since the setting had no brand-recognition with my tabletop group, I'm probably not gonna get to play that for a while.

I like FATE a lot and was thinking of doing a Night Vale game with it.
I've heard people talk about Fate a lot. I'm a little wary of general-use systems for reasons I can't put my finger on, though, so are there any official" settings published for it?

I've heard people talk about Fate a lot. I'm a little wary of general-use systems for reasons I can't put my finger on, though, so are there any official" settings published for it?

Universal systems are a joke, but FATE tries to capture a specific feel a lot of the time, which helps.
I really like the iHunt RPG which uses FATE - there's also Spirit of the Century and Atomic Robo, and I'm sure some others I don't remember.

is any of the Basic Role-Playing stuff any good?

Eh. I like it better than GURPS but the only BRP games that ever stand out to me are CoC and Delta Green.

Universal systems are a joke, but FATE tries to capture a specific feel a lot of the time, which helps.
I really like the iHunt RPG which uses FATE - there's also Spirit of the Century and Atomic Robo, and I'm sure some others I don't remember.
Dresden Files is one I hear come up pretty often.
Targets of SWING seems to scratch an incredibly specific itch I have for 70's TV Spy-fi in tabletop form.

I completly forgot Dresden Files - never got into it, but people who like the books seem to enjoy it.
I've never heard of Targets of SWING, but that sounds delightfully goofy. You might also want to check out the Leverage RPG, which I've heard good things about.

I've never heard of Targets of SWING, but that sounds delightfully goofy.
The pre-made characters are all based on existing media. Other than the particularly obvious ones (Bond, The Prisoner, The Saint, the Supermarionation shows, The Third Doctor and The Avengers), I'm trying to figure out who all's in here.
You might also want to check out the Leverage RPG, which I've heard good things about.
Anything with a built-in flashback mechanic is good in my book.

I don't know, I've read the book once and that was years ago. None of my friends want to play it so I've boxed the book somewhere.

Microscope. It’s more of a story-building game, but I’ve only heard good things about it.

Microscope is pretty cool, but I missed the only chance I got to play so far by convention shenanigans. I've only read it.

I'm unearthing this thread to say that Fellowship is extremely super cool and I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back