Experiences Tabletop Spawned Characters

St. Clover

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Since I've been doing a lot of stuff with my characters this last week or three, I've been curious. Has your experience with a TTRPG like DnD, Pathfinder, GURPS, or something else spawned a PC that'd go on to become a fully developed character? If so, what made you develop them beyond the table? How long have you had them?

Feed me your answers!

Yes, the one DnD campaign I played had a odd evolution, and my character ended up becoming a real person.

My TT group did WoD, and I really much prefer a story-driven campaign. Everyone but me had played DnD in the past and wanted to take a break from WoD. I was fine trying it. Another group member ran a book-based dungeon. I could see that there was some sort of story going on in different parts of the huge dungeon, but it wasn't satisfyingly strong, and we'd sometimes just move on into another area. After months, the campaign was amicably transferred over to our WoD ST and we moved out of the dungeon into a town. Then it finally got interesting.

As is standard, I began by just selecting a race, half-elf cleric, and deciding that my main contribution was shooting fireballs. The only thing approaching character development in the dungeon was getting turned into a weretiger. That auto-changed his alignment to be opposite of what he believed as a cleric. We creatively problem-solved and said he had to meditate extra to maintain his original alignment.

Once we got out of the dungeon and the WoD ST started running the show, the setting was a seemingly peaceful town. What we gradually discovered was a subtle institution of non-human slaves and a lot of political corruption. My half-elf did the headband thing to hide his ears and was sturdier because of being a weretiger. He passed as human and ended up being the voice of morality for the rest of the group who were mostly human DnD shells who didn't care about the plight of the slaves. He also ended up as something of a spy as the mayor took a shine to him. That became a much more satisfying character to play. Like he literally came up out of a dungeon into the sunlight of having a personality and motivations.

I haven't played him outside of that game, but I liked the general archetype of a mixed-ethnicity principle-driven character to recycle it a couple times since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back