Anime & Manga Symbolism in anime

Hall Kervean

Two Thousand Club
There's sometimes some deeper symbolism in anime.

Some aren't super hard to figure out.
For instance, Death Note has apples. Apples are often used in artwork to symbolize the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Eve, when tempted, accepted the fruit because she wanted to be like God.

Others aren't as obvious. Also from Death Note, the letter "L" is the twelfth letter in the alphabet. Biblically, twelve symbolizes order and completeness. Kira's letter, K, is the eleventh. Eleven is the number of disorder, chaos, and (wait for it) judgement.

There's some non biblical ones, too. For instance, Yotsuba means "stem with four leaves." The most commonly known plant with four leaves is the four leaf clover. Each leaf represents faith, hope, love, and luck.
The Yotsuba Group lacked all four.

I'm sure there's more out there, so share what you've found!
Any anime goes, any symbolism goes!

Last edited:
I'd say a something about the symbolism of Gurren Lagann. On the surface it may just seem like outlandish mechs fighting and a lot of yelling but when it comes down to it it's about the simple will to face ones fears and not be deterred.

I think there's a reason why the movie version after waving drills somewhere around the size of the universe as we know it it ends with a fistfight and why shortly before bog-standard Gurren Lagann stopped the Anti-Spiral's biggest ass drill, that first combination mecha was the symbol of everyone's determination. The Anti-Spiral are an embodiment of what happens when someone gives into doubt and fear and spend the entire time trying to make the Team do the same,

Rather than offer one among countless examples I´m sure, I would like to state something which, if obvious, is also a bit forgotten at times. That is, we as watchers and consumers of a medium can barely grasp 1% of it´s symbolism. If writing told me anything, is that we don´t see an inch into the effort people put to make stories and animation and every other part of it, and we we´ll often miss most of the subtle one even if we´re giving our damnest to analyse every single moment. So, most of the symbolism that people do find will just be the most obvious one.

This is not to put down anyone, but rather, I think that salientates two important points. One, as much as we´d like to think about how we know some shows are clever and others are trash, there are whole layers we don´t understand about it´s actual contents. Secondly, it´s pretty easy to confuse coicidence and symbolism, and trying to read too much into every single detail is a risk that anyone who takes an anaylitical approach takes for certain.

I'd say a something about the symbolism of Gurren Lagann. On the surface it may just seem like outlandish mechs fighting and a lot of yelling but when it comes down to it it's about the simple will to face ones fears and not be deterred.

Oooh, there's some pretty heavy symbolism with the motif of the spiral/drill in Gurren Lagann, too.

In other media, spirals represent a loss of control (obv. considering the term "spiral out of control). The spiral and the drill both represent destruction, and the Anti-Spirals stand for the opposite: preservation and, by extension, control. Spirals also represent the natural state of the universe: DNA and galaxies both naturally occur in a spiral shape. The Anti-Spirals try to control evolution and prevent the destruction of the universe, not realizing or caring that they're going against the natural order of the universe.

So, the theme of Gurren Lagann could be that the only way to attain true freedom is to let go of a false sense of control and embrace destruction. You're going to die, the universe is going to die, and you can't stop it, so why worry about it?

And that's why...

Kamina isn't afraid of death. He understands that death (the destruction of life) isn't bad; it's just the nature of things. However, the new civilization can't let go, building a statue in his "honor," making him stand for the things they want him to stand for. Simon can't let go, either, even dressing himself to resemble Kamina. He can't reach the full potential of his character until he lets Kamina go.

Rather than offer one among countless examples I´m sure, I would like to state something which, if obvious, is also a bit forgotten at times. That is, we as watchers and consumers of a medium can barely grasp 1% of it´s symbolism. If writing told me anything, is that we don´t see an inch into the effort people put to make stories and animation and every other part of it, and we we´ll often miss most of the subtle one even if we´re giving our damnest to analyse every single moment. So, most of the symbolism that people do find will just be the most obvious one.

This is not to put down anyone, but rather, I think that salientates two important points. One, as much as we´d like to think about how we know some shows are clever and others are trash, there are whole layers we don´t understand about it´s actual contents. Secondly, it´s pretty easy to confuse coicidence and symbolism, and trying to read too much into every single detail is a risk that anyone who takes an anaylitical approach takes for certain.
The first part of your post reminds me of a Video: .
which was about highshool and why Japanese cartoons put such an emphasis on it.

It's because of the cultural differences. In the west growing up usually comes with the cost of responsibility and ironically, more freedom in certain cases. Whereas you're emburdened by someone else and their rules if you live with others. If you move out on yer own, you become yer new master who can spend their days off jerking off if they damn well please.

While in Japan working yerself to death is a reality and the concept of time off doesn't exist outside of high school. Which is why it's so important to anime, something that if it's true, is lost on foreign audiences such as myself.

So it's no surprise if a lot is lost in translation. Hell naruto which is ran through the dirt for being shit and lazy writing, might only be shit. Since there's a lot of mythology in naruto that makes me wonder how hard it must have been for Kishi to maintain it all.

The first part of your post reminds me of a Video: .
which was about highshool and why Japanese cartoons put such an emphasis on it.

It's because of the cultural differences. In the west growing up usually comes with the cost of responsibility and ironically, more freedom in certain cases. Whereas you're emburdened by someone else and their rules if you live with others. If you move out on yer own, you become yer new master who can spend their days off jerking off if they damn well please.

While in Japan working yerself to death is a reality and the concept of time off doesn't exist outside of high school. Which is why it's so important to anime, something that if it's true, is lost on foreign audiences such as myself.

So it's no surprise if a lot is lost in translation. Hell naruto which is ran through the dirt for being shit and lazy writing, might only be shit. Since there's a lot of mythology in naruto that makes me wonder how hard it must have been for Kishi to maintain it all.

while I was not talking about this specifically, yeah, this lost in translation and cultural differences is defintely a part of why we loose a lot of the meaning/symbolism in things. Thanks for sharing!

while I was not talking about this specifically, yeah, this lost in translation and cultural differences is defintely a part of why we loose a lot of the meaning/symbolism in things. Thanks for sharing!
I mean you said people will miss the subtleties in anime. I only expanded on it and presented a video with a viewpoint which supports this idea with reasons for this.

The Stands in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are named after Tarot Cards.

Dio's stand called "The World" can stop time. The World is the last and highest in number of all Major Arcana in a Tarot Deck.

The Stands in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are named after Tarot Cards.

Dio's stand called "The World" can stop time. The World is the last and highest in number of all Major Arcana in a Tarot Deck.

You're right as far as part 3. Part 4 onward, the Stands are named after various songs and musicians from around the 80s-90s. The symbolism takes a different form at that point, as there are lyrics within the songs that can be linked back to the Stands' abilities.

Example being Killer Queen, a Stand with the power to make things explode (among other things), a bit of the song goes,
She's a Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite
with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

It's a little interesting and there's more past part 4, but the anime-only viewers haven't gotten there yet so I'll leave it there.

Wow, I really like how you put that. I've been adding symbolism to my writing and generally watching more movies and shows to understand symbolism in people's works of arts more. But, it's hard to spot out some symbols other than obvious things, I usually have to watch youtube analysis videos on some works because artist go so deep with telling a story. Final Fantasy 15, Ghost in the shell (1995 movie), Neon Genesis, list goes on. What else do you think about it, or can tell me?

Wow, I really like how you put that

I've been adding symbolism to my writing and generally watching more movies and shows to understand symbolism in people's works of arts more. But, it's hard to spot out some symbols other than obvious things, I usually have to watch youtube analysis videos on some works because artist go so deep with telling a story. Final Fantasy 15, Ghost in the shell (1995 movie), Neon Genesis, list goes on.
Indeed.

What else do you think about it, or can tell me?
could you clarify the question?

Indeed.

could you clarify the question?

Well, not sure how to put it. I would just like to understand the symbolism in some shows more to pull a deeper meaning from it. Are there any ways to go about spotting it? Sometimes when I watch show reviews, I'm puzzled as to how much information on symbols they can pull out of a show.

Well, what I looked at was what I could figure out.
Apples have been thrown in my face for all of Death Note.
So obviously they have some sort of deeper meaning.
Well, where are apples used that would make sense?
Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, where they took it because they wanted to be LIKE GOD.

If a show throws something around a lot that seems to not have a ton of purpose in the plot itself, there's a chance it's because symbolism.

Well, not sure how to put it. I would just like to understand the symbolism in some shows more to pull a deeper meaning from it. Are there any ways to go about spotting it? Sometimes when I watch show reviews, I'm puzzled as to how much information on symbols they can pull out of a show.
There is no solution for this, since more often than not, your symbolism will not get across at all. After all, context clues, history, culture, society, the wheather on a certain day, you having a preference over a certain number to another and an infinite amount of other factors, can not only alter the symbolism one makes, but change the meaning of some of it. In other words, it´s impossible to really capture even most of the symbolism present in a competent work.

However, there ARE tactics you can use to pull out some criticism. First and foremost a good understanding of writing techniques and second, a moment by moment analysis.
The first part is pure research and it´s a matter of knowing what writing techniques there are, how tropes can be manipulated, how to classify different parts of writing and their function. If nothing else, this will allow you to formalize the expression of your immediate opinion, which will allow you to explore your impressions to more depth (and as a bonus makes you sound a lot smarter, a tactic a lot of critics use).

The second matter is a little trickier. As Hall Kervean Hall Kervean pointed out, seeing patterns is important. However, if I may go one step deeper, you want to be looking at the whole continuum. Progression, patterns and contrasts. Avoiding overanalysis usually comes down to trying to pick up the general rather than the outright background specific elements (the lighting of the scene may be meaningful, but that one triangular pot in the back is probably just an after thought). And of course, pay great attention to common or traditional symbolism.

I´ll plug my analysis of the first episode of "Kotoura-san" here, so you can have a reference for what I am saying.

Idea Idea

Wow, that was just great. I'm extremely impressed with how you talked about it, and even touched up a bit on creating a character a bit. Now I wanna' go check out the show.

Okay, this one might be a bit of a stretch, but could the name "Light" be connected to the angel of light, Lucifer?
His story in the Old Testament parallels Light's downfall:
"How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit on the mount of assembly on the heights of Zaphon; I will ascend to the tops of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High"

I have another one.
L's full name is L Lawliet.

That's pronounced L Low light

L's opponent?
Light.
So it's Light vs. Low light.
Just thought that was kind of interesting.

I could be wrong and all, but in The Devi is a Part-Timer, I felt like there may have been some biblical symbolism there. I'll have to rewatch the anime for more specifics, but the name Lucifer (which was literally Satan's name in the bible) is actually used for a character who not only fell from heaven and became a demon but tries to overpower Satan himself in order to rule.

In the bible, Lucifer fell from heaven because he also tried to overpower God so he could rule over everything.

Anyways, I just thought that was pretty cool, especially since Lucifer is my favorite character in that anime.

In Highschool DxD, a pair of certain sacks of fat are repeatedly being shoved in my face.
So is there symbolism?
Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back