Other Swordsmanship, Martial Arts, and Being a Disciple of Christ?

The Explorer

Philippians 4:13
I've been training myself to become a Swordsman. You might think that it is pointless, because, you know, Guns exist. I started it for fun, but eventually got serious about it. Still though, to be honest, Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. Martial Arts was created to defend the weak against the strong. I'm not feeling conflicted, but the bible says never to kill. So I decided from the get go that I would only ever use wooden swords, specifically Bamboo Practice Swords that are primarily used in Kendo.

My Martial Art and my Sword Style go hand in hand. It's called The Death Dragon Style because I realized that being half hearted would get me killed. So I decided to make a martial art, to protect. And also make a Sword Style with the intention of harming my enemy, but since it is only using a wooden sword, they won't die. I mean the sword I use may be Bamboo but it is designed not to cut.

I have a question. Should I use my Reverse Blade? I bought a custom made Reverse Blade that is made of 1045 High Carbon Steel. I keep it for my collection, but since I'm training to become a swordsman, should I use it? If I do I would also buy a Dulled Katana, one made for Iaido, I would only use them in emergencies. I would only resort to the Reverse Blade as a final measure.

The real world, is dangerous. Especially if I am actually able to travel the world to become the World's Greatest Writer. Because real life is harsh, I created the Death Dragon Style as a backup plan. Hopefully I never have to use it, but I'd like to have it just in case.

Also, after my question is answered, I'd like to make this a thread for sharing our dreams.

My dream is to become the World's Greatest Writer.

I have a question. Should I use my Reverse Blade? I bought a custom made Reverse Blade that is made of 1045 High Carbon Steel. I keep it for my collection, but since I'm training to become a swordsman, should I use it? If I do I would also buy a Dulled Katana, one made for Iaido, I would only use them in emergencies. I would only resort to the Reverse Blade as a final measure.

The real world, is dangerous. Especially if I am actually able to travel the world to become the World's Greatest Writer. Because real life is harsh, I created the Death Dragon Style as a backup plan. Hopefully I never have to use it, but I'd like to have it just in case.

I'm not sure from where you hail from, but I'm pretty sure there are laws against carrying bladed weapons, especially since you plan on using a real carbon steel katana. Just because you swear to only use it for emergencies doesn't mean it's not illegal especially when it comes to open carry.

I've heard of laws where you have to open carry a blade because concealing a blade is illegal, but I highly advise against it. For self defense if you plan on travelling, just bring the common items like pepper spray or a whistle to get attention (as is usual in my country. I don't know how yours works.) or if you really must insist on fighting back, try learning unarmed combat and how to subdue someone without having a weapon on hand.

Remember, someone fighting desperately for their life can be more dangerous than even a trained killer.

I'm not sure from where you hail from, but I'm pretty sure there are laws against carrying bladed weapons, especially since you plan on using a real carbon steel katana. Just because you swear to only use it for emergencies doesn't mean it's not illegal especially when it comes to open carry.

I've heard of laws where you have to open carry a blade because concealing a blade is illegal, but I highly advise against it. For self defense if you plan on travelling, just bring the common items like pepper spray or a whistle to get attention (as is usual in my country. I don't know how yours works.) or if you really must insist on fighting back, try learning unarmed combat and how to subdue someone without having a weapon on hand.

Remember, someone fighting desperately for their life can be more dangerous than even a trained killer.

I decided only to use my bamboo swords, but I was just asking to make sure if it was something I should train to do. My Bamboo Swords are lighter and more effective in my hands, than actual swords. But i've broken three of them due to my training and Sparring Sessions with my friends. So I keep having to buy more. They cost around 23 dollars for 2 of them. I wouldn't have even asked if I knew if it was possible to get Steel reinforcements and still keep the Bamboo Sword's Aerodynamics.

To be fair, in Mississippi all swords are considered knives that are longer than six inches, so they are legal to open carry anyway. But I was just asking because I didn't know if I should train to use them or just stick with buying more Bamboo Swords when they break.

What do you think?

I decided only to use my bamboo swords, but I was just asking to make sure if it was something I should train to do. My Bamboo Swords are lighter and more effective in my hands, than actual swords. But i've broken three of them due to my training and Sparring Sessions with my friends. So I keep having to buy more. They cost around 23 dollars for 2 of them. I wouldn't have even asked if I knew if it was possible to get Steel reinforcements and still keep the Bamboo Sword's Aerodynamics.

To be fair, in Mississippi all swords are considered knives that are longer than six inches, so they are legal to open carry anyway. But I was just asking because I didn't know if I should train to use them or just stick with buying more Bamboo Swords when they break.

What do you think?

I could train just as easily with a random stick or tree branch. My problem is I want something that will last longer.

Swords in this day and age...are not good, and this is coming from a self-styled sword nut like me. As mentioned by Crow above, you cannot carry a sword out in public in most places. Really, the only place you can use it bar dedicated dojos and maybe rennaissance fairs, would be inside your own home. Also, they're very high-maintenance especially in tropical countries like mine. Inside your own house then yeah, I think you can keep a sword around for self defense.

Also, just because something is dull doesn't mean it cannot kill. For a medieval example, maces are much more effective weapons than swords since they can damage bone and muscle beneath armor. For modern examples, I once had a classmate who ended up in the hospital when her deranged father hit her in the head with a literal piece of wood torn off from the legs of a wooden table. Blunt weapons kill. They are even messier and even more lethal when they do.

Learning a martial art for some self-defense is handy but really, I would heavily advise against fighting back. There was an incident at school where a couple was held at gunpoint. Guy knew Judo yet ended up dead when he was shot by the criminal while fighting back. In face of an armed robber, with a gun and operating as a group, no amount of martial arts or sword knowledge will spare your life. Police here advise just giving up whatever they're trying to take. You can always get some more cash or gadgets. You only have one life.

A gun may be a good option but if you plan on traveling...yeah, good luck. I'm not sure how you can get it on the plane and some countries do not even allow non-law enforcement people to carry them. Japan for one, has strict weapons laws from what I heard. So is my country, the Philippines.

Really, the best way to stay safe is to avoid tempting danger which is still pretty hard mind you. Don't carry valuable items around. Don't stand out too much. Avoid sketchy looking places. Keep close to the public. Have emergency contacts and never carry all your cash in one pocket, wallet or bag. Common sense advice really.

Not saying you should stop the swordsmanship and martial arts. These are good pursuits to have for hobbies and sport. Just don't expect them to always have a practical application when faced with the danger of an armed thug or robber. I think writers are quite low on the target list of these people so long as you're not a journalist working on a high profile case.

In summary: Stay safe and don't go around looking for trouble. A confrontation with an armed assailant rarely goes like it does in movies and anime.

What do you think?

I'd still advise against it. Even if it's a reverse blade, a katana was built, first and foremost, during the feudal period, to be able to cut and cut effectively. Even if you were to use a katana in a nonlethal method, any cut from it has the potential to be lethal especially because it's a bladed weapon. Of course, since those were banned, there may be duller swords but I would advise sticking to blunt weapons for now.

Like how Saya mentioned, maintaining an actual blade is also a difficult endeavor. It'll rust if you're not regularly polishing it, for example.

That being said, training with a shinai (A bamboo sword used in kendo) or a bokken will have different dynamics and damage than using a carbon steel blade used for cutting. After all, it's a blunt weapon.

EDIT: My dumb ass forgot about the shinai for a minute there. XD

Last edited:
I could train just as easily with a random stick or tree branch. My problem is I want something that will last longer.

Well, if it's just for practice, then synthetic or plastic sword like objects is probably the best way to go. It's probably cheaper and requires less maintenance and somewhat non-lethal. Comes in all shapes and sizes too. Just ask for items that can be used for sparring or stuff. Wood does require a bit of maintenance and they're quite susceptible to water damage.

Only time I'll probably train with a steel sword or any weapon really, is if:

A.) I have guidance from a proper, licensed teacher or mentor.
B.) I have adequate backyard space or access to a specialized facility.
C.) I can store a blade properly and perform any needed maintenance by myself. This includes, proofing it against rust, keeping its components clean and re-sharpening its cutting edge once it starts to dull.

Thanks. I guess I'll just keep my actual swords in my collection, and only use my bamboo swords for Training. To be honest, I was afraid of the fact that God revealed certain things to me, that someone with power over demonic spirits is out there somewhere, and didn't tell me much more about it. I'll still train for Swordsmanship and Martial Arts as a hobby. However! I will stick with buying Bamboo Swords every time they break.

You know, the person who I call Shaper, might not even be aware of my existence. I was just worried is all.

Because I have power through Christ that is apparently good for breaking Bamboo easily, but I don't know much more about it, I thought if someone came after me with their own power, I wouldn't stand a chance. But I just realized something!!!

It's simple really, I could just have God seal their power, transfer an exact copy of their power into me, but instead mine would be a blessed copy. Shaper would be a normal human, I would have a new power, and live happily ever after!!!

The only problem is I have to have a fist bump or high five or something to use my power through Christ. Oh well! God is with me, so I don't have to worry.

but the bible says never to kill

*Powerful Engine*

Okay. Sit back and brace yourself for a barrage of verses.

From the book of Luke:
'Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out without purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. 36“Now, however,” He told them, “the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one. 37For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about Me is reaching its fulfillment.'

My take: Jesus knew his disciples would be hunted, and killed. Why would he leave them defenseless?

Leviticus 26:6| View whole chapter | See verse in context "And I will give peace in the land, and ye shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land.

Leviticus 26:7 | View whole chapter | See verse in context "And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword.

Leviticus 26:8 | View whole chapter | See verse in context "And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.

Leviticus 26:25 | View whole chapter | See verse in context "And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.

Leviticus 26:33 | View whole chapter | See verse in context "And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.

My take from just these samples among MANY: The sword is something God commands His people to use against their enemies, but God Himself will also turn sword against His people if they become wicked. Ideally, God will have all swords turned to plowshares, and you see this when you get into prophecy. But as long as wicked people pray on the weak, the sword is necessary. It is a good thing to use it to defend your self, your people, your country.

Read also the Book of Esther.
I would also recommend the first and second books of Maccabees. (once canon)
In both cases, the Jews faced great persecution and death, and in both cases, swords were prescribed.

Finally, Jesus has a sword that will deliver a very Old Testament kind of vengeance in the future.

There are riches here for the person who studies. I see plenty of justification for having a sword (or gun), knowing how to use it, but not making a LIVING by it. That is the difference.

I will leave off with a piece from King Solomon.

Ecclesiastes 3
"1There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:2a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,3a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,4a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,5a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain,6a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,7a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,8a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

Last edited:
However! I will stick with buying Bamboo Swords every time they break.

I'm not a kendo expert but, I think this shouldn't happen too much unless you're using a bad form. In any case, kendo is a sport. It's not meant to train you how to fight or kill. It's about mental discipline, spirit and footwork from what I heard. Hence, the use of something that isn't too lethal. Thus, the shinai is not meant to be used like how you would have used an actual blade in the feudal battlefield.

The brand Cold Steel makes some good Polypropylene practice swords from what I heard. A bit pricey but they should last long in practice so long as you do not go against a live blade which would be crazy in the first place.

But still. If you wish to stick with your shinai then I recommend training with an actual kendo instructor first. Broken bamboo practice swords are usually the result of improper execution. You're probably doing something wrong if it keeps breaking. Or you're not using it in the right sport or setting. An instructor can tell you what you'll need in terms of gear as well.

It pays to get your basics right under a proper, licensed instructor in your area first before even branching out and attempting to train or build a regimen of your own lest you fall into some really, really bad habits that could be detrimental to your health, posture or form in the long run. Basically, don't try to run before you can even walk, I guess.

I'm not a kendo expert but, I think this shouldn't happen too much unless you're using a bad form. In any case, kendo is a sport. It's not meant to train you how to fight or kill. It's about mental discipline, spirit and footwork from what I heard. Hence, the use of something that isn't too lethal. Thus, the shinai is not meant to be used like how you would have used an actual blade in the feudal battlefield.

The brand Cold Steel makes some good Polypropylene practice swords from what I heard. A bit pricey but they should last long in practice so long as you do not go against a live blade which would be crazy in the first place.

But still. If you wish to stick with your shinai then I recommend training with an actual kendo instructor first. Broken bamboo practice swords are usually the result of improper execution. You're probably doing something wrong if it keeps breaking. Or you're not using it in the right sport or setting. An instructor can tell you what you'll need in terms of gear as well.

It pays to get your basics right under a proper, licensed instructor in your area first before even branching out and attempting to train or build a regimen of your own lest you fall into some really, really bad habits that could be detrimental to your health, posture or form in the long run. Basically, don't try to run before you can even walk, I guess.

I guess since I was using it the wrong way and putting too much force into it, that's why. Thanks.

*Powerful Engine*

Okay. Sit back and brace yourself for a barrage of verses.

From the book of Luke:
'Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you out without purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. 36“Now, however,” He told them, “the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one. 37For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about Me is reaching its fulfillment.'

My take: Jesus knew his disciples would be hunted, and killed. Why would he leave them defenseless?

Leviticus 26:6| View whole chapter | See verse in context "And I will give peace in the land, and ye shall lie down, and none shall make you afraid: and I will rid evil beasts out of the land, neither shall the sword go through your land.

Leviticus 26:7 | View whole chapter | See verse in context "And ye shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword.

Leviticus 26:8 | View whole chapter | See verse in context "And five of you shall chase an hundred, and an hundred of you shall put ten thousand to flight: and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.

Leviticus 26:25 | View whole chapter | See verse in context "And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall avenge the quarrel of my covenant: and when ye are gathered together within your cities, I will send the pestilence among you; and ye shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.

Leviticus 26:33 | View whole chapter | See verse in context "And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste.

My take from just these samples among MANY: The sword is something God commands His people to use against their enemies, but God Himself will also turn sword against His people if they become wicked. Ideally, God will have all swords turned to plowshares, and you see this when you get into prophecy. But as long as wicked people pray on the weak, the sword is necessary. It is a good thing to use it to defend your self, your people, your country.

Read also the Book of Esther.
I would also recommend the first and second books of Maccabees. (once canon)
In both cases, the Jews faced great persecution and death, and in both cases, swords were prescribed.

Finally, Jesus has a sword that will deliver a very Old Testament kind of vengeance in the future.

There are riches here for the person who studies. I see plenty of justification for having a sword (or gun), knowing how to use it, but not making a LIVING by it. That is the difference.

I will leave off with a piece from King Solomon.

Ecclesiastes 3
"1There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:2a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,3a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,4a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,5a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain,6a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,7a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,8a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

This is all well and good, but the whole, "Thou shalt not kill" in the Ten Commandments kinda makes all of the stuff you just wrote very confusing to me. Either way this is not the place to chat about God, PM me later if you want.

This is all well and good, but the whole, "Thou shalt not kill" in the Ten Commandments kinda makes all of the stuff you just wrote very confusing to me. Either way this is not the place to chat about God, PM me later if you want.

Okay.

^ This. Especially because it's a martial art you're practicing. You can't come up with techniques on the spot that would theoretically work. You have to consult with a professional if you plan on creating an entire swordsmanship technique on your own.
Also, I've been seeing you floating around the discussion and if I remember correctly, you named your style the Ryu no Shiki which you say translates to the Death Dragon's Style which I feel is...incorrect? I do a bit of translating on the side, and while "Ryu" can mean dragon and "no Shiki" can denote swordsmanship styles, I don't see where the "Death" part comes in. Unless of course you intend to use the shi part of "shiki" to mean death, but that would change the meaning entirely I imagine. I'm not a licensed translator by any means but I couldn't help but mention it. 😅

CrowOuttaHell CrowOuttaHell SCSaya06 SCSaya06

Thanks for your advice, i'll keep training as a hobby, just to get and maintain my weight. In the end, I will postpone my swordsmanship and Martial Arts training until I have someone explain how to do it all properly. The only reason I wanted to do Swordsmanship and Martial Arts was because I was afraid of Shaper killing me. Heaven's a way better place than this Earth anyway, so I have nothing to fear anymore. And because I don't fear Death anymore, I will just stick with getting fit and staying fit. Thanks.

^ This. Especially because it's a martial art you're practicing. You can't come up with techniques on the spot that would theoretically work. You have to consult with a professional if you plan on creating an entire swordsmanship technique on your own.
Also, I've been seeing you floating around the discussion and if I remember correctly, you named your style the Ryu no Shiki which you say translates to the Death Dragon's Style which I feel is...incorrect? I do a bit of translating on the side, and while "Ryu" can mean dragon and "no Shiki" can denote swordsmanship styles, I don't see where the "Death" part comes in. Unless of course you intend to use the shi part of "shiki" to mean death, but that would change the meaning entirely I imagine. I'm not a licensed translator by any means but I couldn't help but mention it. 😅

The Japanese word for death is "Shi"

I meant it as using Shi, maybe I should have used the particle desu, instead. Desu means "to be" if I remember correctly. So corrected it would be, Ryu no Shidesu. I think...

Alright. As a semi translator, I'll talk about this more in a PM so as to not derail the thread. Just wait a little for me to gather my thoughts. 🙂

because I was afraid of Shaper killing me.

If you're worried about a specific person committing harm against you, then why not try filing a restraining order? Or report them to the police if you can provide sufficient evidence and cause for alarm. I mean, there are legal avenues you can pursue to defend yourself. It doesn't always have to boil down into a personal fight.

Take note though: Why do you think they will kill you? Was this somebody you got into a fight with in the past? Is this someone with a history of bad, possibly dangerous behavior? You'll need to have a strong case to even consider taking action against individuals mind you.

Otherwise...get some good door and window locks. But really, determine if there really is a credible threat first and explore what legal avenues are out there because this is a very serious accusation to levy against any individual you know?

Last edited:
SCSaya06 SCSaya06 I'll make the switch to Synthetic Training Swords. Still want a Laito for my collection, though.

Also, Shaper uses demonic spirits to curse people. It's a double threat bordering on a final battle between me and her. It is a Spiritual and Physical battle, and i'm not that strong physically so i might get hurt. But don't worry about it, i'm not going to anyway. I guess if there's a silver lining here, it would be the fact that she probably doesn't know I even exist yet, God warned me about her through the Holy Spirit. The thing is if she finds out about my power through Christ, she'll see me as a threat, because with one touch, and a prayer, she'll lose her power forever. But like I said, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

If I die, I'll go to heaven, and if I get hurt, Jesus will heal me. Either way is a win for me.

SCSaya06 SCSaya06 I'll make the switch to Synthetic Training Swords. Still want a Laito for my collection, though.

Also, Shaper uses demonic spirits to curse people. It's a double threat bordering on a final battle between me and her. It is a Spiritual and Physical battle, and i'm not that strong physically so i might get hurt. But don't worry about it, i'm not going to anyway. I guess if there's a silver lining here, it would be the fact that she probably doesn't know I even exist yet, God warned me about her through the Holy Spirit. The thing is if she finds out about my power through Christ, she'll see me as a threat, because with one touch, and a prayer, she'll lose her power forever. But like I said, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

If I die, I'll go to heaven, and if I get hurt, Jesus will heal me. Either way is a win for me.

Also, God only revealed her existence to me, I don't know who she is, or why God did so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back