• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Tattletale

Ah, mortal wounds. My only weakness.

SWORD, HONOR, STRENGTH

sword.png

-
Swashbuckling! Action! Intrigue! This is an interest check for a roleplaying group of swordsmen born in the wrong century, where book-like adventures have mostly died off. There are still a few swordplay schools and orders, but the Sword has become a noble and select art, and few can study it. Of course, from time to time talent arises from the most unexpected places. The plot would kick-off at the maritime capital of the Empire, where once every five years a tournament is organized to honor the memory of the original First Swords. This event attracts a lot of people: participants, merchants, criminals, foreign nobles, etc. But this year is special: to celebrate the peace reached between the three major nations in the known part of the world, combatants from all over have been invited. But something is wrong in the underbelly of the city, and it will be up to you to uncover it (or helping it along!).

-

In the beginning, in a time before the Titans and the first of our legends, the Gods entrusted humankind with a weapon.
A weapon that divided our spirit and severed Good from Evil.

That weapon was Honor.
And its paragon, the Sword.

But mortals did not understand the purpose of that gift. Blinded by its power, they lost themselves in endless battles.
Many died,
Until the courage of a few brave souls changed everything.

They were called First Swords.

They fought only for the truth, only for justice, only in single combat... Only for their honor!
Great battles became Duels, and the First Swords fought each other until they surpassed the Titans themselves!
Their mighty steels tore the Sky and shattered the Earth.
They served Gods, Kings, and Clans.
They walked the land, forging legends and triumphs that would be remembered forever.

But in truth... Was that the Sword's true purpose?

No! - Yes!

The Sword chooses those with the courage to do what's righteous.
- The Sword understands no Justice. It only understands strength.

-​

From the many legends that are told across the face of the Earth, few are as widespread -and loved- as the myth of the First Swords, the legendary heroes and villains that rose millennia ago, shaping the world with their victories and losses. Perhaps in these stagnant times, people yearn for the freedom that this story promises. Or perhaps we humans just like to grumble and idealize a past that we never lived, regardless of what age has seen us born. The thing is, those times are long past.

These are peaceful times. Boring, even. The Laurean Empire has consolidated his power across the Southern colonies, and the new Sultan is much more amenable to our Emperor's requests.
The Northern front with Brenhel is secure, after years of bloody skirmishes, and a fragile peace is being wrought.

But the wind is picking up, and it carries the smell of disaster. Something sinister is afoot, but none are aware... yet.

-​

I'll be using "swordsmen" as the gender-neutral plural address. Swordfighter doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely and fencer is very limited, the First Swords used all kinds of blades, not only rapiers. If anyone wants to use other terms, you are welcome to do it! I'm flexible with character creation, there's no need for your character to use a sword, or even to be a combatant. Still, a few swordsmen would be great! Magic in this world is limited, obscure, and very few can learn about it, and even less use it. Suffice to say, it's not very common and many believe it doesn't exist. The technology is about on par with the 17th century, but there will be anachronisms (internally consistent ones).

This is loosely based on Dos Espadas, a Spanish manga (yep, you read that right) that I love, but most of it is original. I'll also be mixing in elements from many other works, probably will keep a post listing them in case anyone is curious.

It will be centered in action with a good dose of intrigue at the beginning, but we can shift it later, I'm open to mixing it up! I will be posting a WIP lore thread by tomorrow, and if this picks up a Character thread towards the end of the week (next Tuesday at the latest).

-​

REQUIREMENTS

- Literacy -

A typo here and there is not a problem, but try to keep posts clear and clean.

- Post frequency and length -

A post a week or more would be ideal. That said, don't flood the thread, let everyone have fun!. If you can't write for a while, that's fine, but please let me know either via PM or on the OOC thread. I won't kick anyone if notified, I understand life can get in the way, and sometimes we are just not up to it. That's okay, but ghosts will be kicked after 2 weeks of inactivity.

Try to stay between 2 and 5 paragraphs, a bit shorter is okay for more action or dialogue-oriented scenes.

- Godmodding and clashes -

Godmodding will not be tolerated. Do not take control of other players' character unless explicitly given permission by that character's player. In the case of a disagreement in the outcome of a scene, conflict, or interaction, the last word to settle it falls on me. This is the last resource solution, I'm sure it won't come to that. Do not worry, I will never edit any post of yours without your permission and without warning.

- Be nice! -

This is kind of a given, but be civil and respect the RP's guidelines.

Last edited:
Could you give me a summary of the plot's concept that fits within your guidelines? The Roleplay seems interesting enough, but I would like to know more about the world because so far, the only big takeaway for me is that some of the characters might use swords. I know you already mentioned this in your post, but just to confirm, not all of the characters have to be male, correct?

Could you give me a summary of the plot's concept that fits within your guidelines? The Roleplay seems interesting enough, but I would like to know more about the world because so far, the only big takeaway for me is that some of the characters might use swords. I know you already mentioned this in your post, but just to confirm, not all of the characters have to be male, correct?
Yeah, sure! The plot would kick-off at the maritime capital of the Empire, where once every five years a tournament is organized to honor the memory of the original First Swords. This event attracts a lot of people: participants, merchants, criminals, foreign nobles, etc. But this year is special: to celebrate the peace reached between the three major nations in the known part of the world, combatants from all over have been invited. But something is wrong in the underbelly of the city, and it will be up to uncover it (or helping it along!).

Characters can be either outsiders or city inhabitants, but whatever their social status they would have to be connected or interested in some way to the tournament, not necessarily fighters. Later today I'll be posting a thread with more information on the world and the tournament.

About gender, not at all! Characters can be any gender.

Great! Seeing as 4 people are interested, I'll go ahead and share the Lore thread.
The only thing you really need to know is the first paragraph, but if you are curious you can start to check out the lore per se.
I also added a few considerations so you can start picturing your characters if you feel like it. I know maybe you won't need it but it's a habit I picked up from an old GM of mine and I find it really helpful. Feel free to ignore them! haha

I'll be working on the character sheet and OOC threads through tomorrow and Saturday, but those are up too.

If you have any questions PM me or ask on OCC! I'll try to answer as soon as I can.

Hello! I am interested. I will submit a profile if you still need players!
Yes indeed! I was meaning to start the main post on Tuesday but I was waiting to have 3 or 4 characters ready. If not, I think I'll start the Main post this weekend.

Yes. it is! In fact, I'd recommend it. Please check the lore page for some context or if you want to use stuff from there, but if you want to create cities, people, or factions, etc that are connected to your character, It's also great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back