• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy š’š°š¢š­šœš”š¢š§š  š‚š«šØš°š§š¬ šŸ‘‘ medieval bodyswap rp

Lindor // Vendor Streets, Kingdom of Moryen

Under the gaze of the Riressian guard and Kaeda's pouting face, Lindor folded like a deck of cards.

The way she had pulled him aside reminded him of a village woman requesting his aid, not of another guard requesting his allyship. It was missing the law-bound, strict ego of a guard having worked up the ladder to finally sit beside royalty. She was either a complete beginner at this, went through some strange Riressian guard training customs he was unused to, or perhaps... no, it wasn't in his nature to indulge in gossip, even in his own head. It didn't matter how she was hired by Queen Orym and for what purpose. She had enough authority to come here by herself and do Queen Orym's business. She was trusted enough by the Queen to handle the newly found prince of the Riressian kingdom on her own.

Yet she was not confident in her abilities, that much was obvious. He couldn't help the stray thought ā”€ who is this Ryenne, really?

He had never seen such a sour-faced guard. Most would kill to be in her position, being the second hand to the highest of royalty, yet she dragged her feet and showed minimal respect towards both royals and high-level guards. While still lowering herself to beg him to join her, as if asking him to babysit a child. Knowing the nature of the quest, he really thought she should be more than qualified to do alone, being of the royal guard and all. Her armor, despite being of the highest quality and a vivid shade of Riressian purple, was unkempt and smudged by dirt. Her sword was not up to code, but nevertheless sturdy. The type of sword kept through many generations by low-income villagers. Her demeanor and appearance, despite her trying quite hard to make it so, was not that of a noble-born. A guy such as Lindor, who had been lower middle-class before his latest promotion, could recognize one of his own within minutes. Especially if their true nature was in harsh contrast to what they were pretending to be.

She even spoke in a casual tone about her own Queen. They must be on casual terms... how odd.

"There is this fine nobility tailor around the corner that gem guards often frequent. A friend of my mother's. She can do some barber work too, for the right price," he added, glancing at Kaeda's rather messy hair. "On the same street there is a small library that offers tea and baked goods as well. We could sit, and... perfect the prince's manners there, undisturbed." As if to prove his point about manners, he saw the guy stare a little too eagerly at nobility passing him by, his sticky hands tempted by the shiny jewelry and purses in much too accessible pockets. A kleptomaniac prince... what a sight, Lindor thought, a bit endeared at the mischief. He was not on a shift right now, if any passerby asked, and he was not going to waste his breath restraining the son of Moryen's greatest ally on a shopping trip.

There seemed to be a general air of relief in the duo that Lindor was there to show them around the main city, give as much information on royalty customs as he knew, and choose the appropriate attires for Prince Kaeda. It was the strangest feeling. They seemed to be on a timer as well, with Ryenne trying to get a good glance at the large clock looming over the vendor district. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so, he told her more than once, and she hummed in such a way that he started to suspect she wasn't afraid of being late but instead eager for it to be finally over with. Not the most motivating attitude to have around, especially not after humbly accepting someone's request. It somewhat soured Lindor's typically friendly predisposition.

Although he was curious to see how Kaeda would react to getting all dressed up, and if Lindor would be able to teach some royalty to the man. It was an unusual situation and that inescapable curiosity was all that kept Lindor from calling it quits, excusing himself back to the castle for his daily duties, forgetting about this whole ordeal. Curiosity would carry him through this stressful shopping adventure, playing babysitter with an unenthusiastic guard and a much too enthusiastic prince.

It would help out both Riressi and Moryen for him to be as prepared as he possibly couldā€¦ the Riressian guard's words back in the dungeon rang in his ears. As unorthodox as this was, he was doing it for the future of Moryen. The guilt had been lessening the past few hours, strengthening his resolve as the ball came closer, but despite this he couldn't say he was excited to be seen around town with two... criminals. One a prisoner he helped escape, and the other a foreign guard who sneaked out the prisoner. And him, the most unexpected criminal of all. Being around them both made him feel so corrupt, as if every minute with them was another crime added on the list. It kept his unlawful decision on his mind. It made him a bit paranoid, flaunting the prisoner he freed in the streets.

Still, he knew it wasn't Prince Kaeda's fault for needing him here. And he could not exactly blame someone as powerful and vital to Moryen as Queen Orym. That Ryenne guard was a flimsy target as well, unused to her role, fumbling with the tasks, procrastinating every chance she got. She didn't know what she was doing, and was probably right in thinking that the ball would be a catastrophe without Lindor to get the prince ready. She had valid reasons for what she did. This meant... he had no one to blame. He couldn't even blame himself further than he already had, since his reasons for doing so made sense to him. He was left with stress building up and nowhere to concentrate it on, other than each step he took down the familiar streets and the makeover job on hand.

The road was pleasant, with the city decorated for the festival and its people vibrating with excitement. They had bypassed mostly farmer stalls selling fresh foods, cosmetic stalls selling powder, blush, hair ties and skincare products, and foreign stalls selling scarves, bracelets, daggers, horse saddles, and coats from overseas, all glittering with unusual materials and decorations. Children had ran alongside them, singing and dancing with flowers in their hair, and a couple of young women visiting Moryen had walked close enough to the trio to make their girly giggles and flirtatious looks towards Lindor known. As always, he gave a polite smile back and they squealed away. Guards, especially guards that weren't too bad looking, tended to get this sort of treatment during the festival days. Embarrassing, if you asked him. A bit flattering, maybe, but mostly embarrassing.

The streets were getting busier the further they were walking. There were more unfamiliar than familiar faces.

"You, your highness," he gave Kaeda a small grin to underline that he knew how formal he was speaking, and it was all in jest, "will need a casual suit in purple," Lindor brainstormed. Casual was a deceptive word, when talking about royalty fashions. "With some jewelry, as Riressian royalty are known for adorning themselves in silver. Especially the men. Beauty is praised equally in princes and princesses." He had studied Riressian and other neighboring allies' kingdoms as much as he had studied Moryen's past and current customs. He was a walking encyclopedia for all things royalty, thanks to his fanatic mother and the many books they owned on the how's and what's of high society. Most guards got such information during training, but Lindor learned in his own home and had a sense of passion about it. It made him proud to be Moryen. Proud to wear his Moryen armor. "Once you look like it, you will feel like it, and the confidence will build. Joining the royal guards, I went from a nobody to a somebody overnight and felt like a fish right out of water until I saw myself wearing the official armor. Not as dramatic a transition as you, of course... but once you feel pretty in purple, and know your way around basic royalty speech, you'll do just fine. Isn't that right, Ryenne?" Lindor didn't wait for a response, used to the guard humming back while kicking rocks out of her path like a distracted five year old student.

As if to punctuate his attempt at positivity, the seamstress shop appeared in view.

"Nothing to panic about. I've attended the ball since I was a young child, thanks to being a Sindri. It's a delight."

He walked up the stairs and opened the door like a gentleman. Talking about his knowledge of royals and the ball gave a little bounce in his steps; this may not be an ideal situation, but he might as well be a good sport about this and helped the prince as best as he can. It's in his bloodline, after all.

Last edited:
Kaeda // Vendor streets, Kingdom of Moryen.

Kaeda never thought he missed the outside world as much as he did now. Feeling the outside breeze on his skin compared to the stale air of the dungeons, his eyes trying to adjust to the sudden change in lighting, he had a smile fixed on his face. Kaeda nearly looked like he was going to attempt to dart away again, his body shaking with excitement every step he took, bouncing around with happiness. It felt so nice to finally be out of that awful place! Thoughā€¦ not in the way he expected, he had to admit. He certainly wasnā€™t expecting to leave those dungeons a prince. He probably would have laughed at that prospect yesterday morning. So much has happenedā€¦ Kaedaā€™s head was still filled with hesitancy at the whole ā€œprinceā€ thing, but it was being overpowered currently by the fact that he had finally left the dungeons. Lindor and Ryenne must think heā€™s easily overexcitable on how heā€™s acting like he hasnā€™t seen the sun in months. He only gets excited by exciting things, and this was one of them!

Itā€™s not like heā€™s actually ā€œfreeā€ though, which is what he really wanted. He was stuck having to go to this ball no matter what, huhā€¦ heā€™ll just have to deal with it, as much as he just wants to have his fun playing prince and then go back to his everyday thieving life. He definitely had to get out of here though the minute the ball was over with- he has no wish to ever become king of Riressi. He had convinced himself last night that he wouldnā€™t actually have to deal with all the responsibilities of, you know, running a country, that came with being a royal, and he just got to do the fun stuff. He still had no idea what Orym wanted from him beyond just knowing she definitely was planning something, even Ryenne admitted it. It couldnā€™t be that she wanted some random thief to go and inherit the throne, was it? She was Queen Orym. No way would she let go of the throne so easily, Kaeda remembers even hearing rumors that the king of Riressiā€™s death was caused by her wanting to get on the throne. Ryenne did say that princes get power over princesses, he can imagine Orym being particularly miffed by that. Ughā€¦ it was going to be impossible to figure her out, how annoying.

It seemed like Ryenne had already given up too on trying to figure out Orym, seeing that she made Lindor come along with them to help him become more ā€œprince-likeā€. How boring! At least with Lindor around, itā€™ll be more interesting. Ryenne looks like sheā€™ll kill him if he gets too annoying, while Lindor just deals with him being annoying. So it was more fun to mess with Lindor than Ryenne. Especially because she didnā€™t really feelā€¦ royal-guard like, which is the whole reason heā€™s being annoying in the first place. Itā€™s too funny when people who are so used to respect suddenly donā€™t get treated with it, like Lindor, probably. And all the nobles at the ball. Theyā€™ll have no idea how to deal with someone who doesnā€™t worship the ground they walk on or acts in noble fake-politeness.

ā€œHuh????? Whatā€™s wrong with my hair, though! I like it like this!ā€ Kaedaā€™s hair was going to get messed with too? Are they really going to force him to dress up a certain wayā€¦? Can Kaeda have any freedom at all in this place? ā€œThereā€™s nothing wrong with me, you knowā€¦ why are you guys treating me like I need to be fixed to adhere to some made-up noble rules?ā€ Kaeda already knew he just had to be more ā€œprince-likeā€ for the ball, but why, still? Why did they come up with all these stupid rules anyway? To make themselves feel superior over the commoners, or something? Kaeda was thought back to when his family acted like something was terribly wrong with him when they found out he finally had something he liked doing in life. Why? Did they want him to be miserable forever? Because he was before. Heā€™s so much happier now, why donā€™t they understand? Ugh, why does he even care, he told himself he doesnā€™t countless times already.

At least the nobles already looked to be easy targets. Kaeda practically saw them as walking targets, eyeing them up while he walked, wondering how much they had on them. Kaeda wasn't particularly fond of pickpocketing- breaking and entering was so much more fun, but hey, sometimes it was really fun how much he can get off on nobles before anyone, or even the noble, notices. They just brought around so much with them for a sign of status, not that they actually needed all that stuff, so they didnā€™t even notice when it was gone in the first place until they went home and looked through all their precious belongings. It really goes to show you how much they actually ā€œcareā€ about the things Kaedaā€™s nabbing from them. He wasnā€™t stupid enough to try anything in front of two guards, though, no matter how much theyā€™re tolerating him currently. He already did take that bell that Lindor gave him yesterday, anyways, as a souvenir, so he had already gotten his hands on something, at least. He wonders if Lindor will notice that when he goes to clean the room Kaeda was in.

Ugh, this was still torture, though, seeing that theyā€™re now passing by shops with all sorts of interesting things. Kaeda usually didnā€™t mess with merchants, seeing that they actually needed their stock most of the time. These merchants definitely have come in though to sell stuff to the nobles, meaning that theyā€™re more of the ā€œrichā€ variant of merchant. Come on, can Kaeda just get a closer look or something, maybe, one or two thingsā€¦ no, no, heā€™ll get stuff later at the ball, he has to remind himself. He really was still a prisonerā€¦

ā€œHmmā€¦? A purpleā€¦ suit? Sounds gaudy to me.ā€ Kaeda looked up at Lindor, giving him a grin back. At least Lindor had lightened up slightly around him. He would have been boring if he was in polite-guard mode all day. ā€œSo Riressians are really gaudy, then, huh? Thatā€™s what itā€™s sounding like to me.ā€ Lots of jewelry was annoying to wear, you felt like you were making a ton of noise every step you took. And you actually were, too, is the kicker. Butā€¦ hmmā€¦ ā€œDo I get to keep this stuffff?ā€ Kaeda asked in a singsong voice. If he doesnā€™t get to steal it, then heā€™ll get it somehow else! Ryenne huffed out a sigh behind him.

ā€œ...I got a letter given to me earlier by a maid, where her majesty said that sheā€™ll cover for anything we buy here. So I assume, yes.ā€ Oooh, lucky for Kaeda! Heā€™ll choose the cool things he sees, no matter how gaudy he looks. He brought his attention back to Lindor.

ā€œHmm? Iā€™m confident enough already, though. You guys are the ones who donā€™t seem confident.ā€ Kaedaā€¦ did not feel ā€œconfidentā€, but he definitely was doing better in that regard compared to Ryenne and Lindor, who seem like they see Kaeda as a walking bomb. He wasnā€™t ever going to get used to this role, no matter what clothes he got dressed up, in though. ā€œYouā€™re pretty simple, Linny, if you just had how you were dressed make you feel suddenly confident and like an actual guardā€¦ you also always wanted to be a guard, right, too, so itā€™s like a more ā€œdream/come-trueā€ situation for you. I wasnā€™t exactlyā€¦ expecting myself to be a prince.ā€ He wasnā€™t saying that as an insult, just stating the truth. He and Lindor are different, no matter what Lindor says to try to comfort him. Ehhhā€¦ now he feels bad because Lindor is obviously trying to be all positive and crap. He and Ryenne both were trying to help him, and he was acting annoying in response to itā€¦ fine, fine, heā€™ll somewhat deal with the tailor.

Ooohh, door opening, huh? How fancy. It was so different from how he usually got the door slammed in his face. It feltā€¦ weird. Kaeda didnā€™t know if he liked it or not, but nevertheless, he walked into the building, glancing around. It looked to be a typical seamstress shop, with rolls of fabric and some display prices out front, but it definitely had a differentā€¦ air about it to other seamstresses. Probably due to the clientele, and the fact that all the display pieces looked a lot more formal and elegant compared to what you saw elsewhere. The tailor at the counter seemed to perk up upon Lindor entering in.

ā€œOh, Lindor! Hello!ā€ She greeted him, before glancing at Kaeda and Ryenne with a confused look soon overtaking her. ā€œUhmā€¦ you are with some Riressians? Did you come here for something?ā€

ā€œ...Oh, I can explain,ā€
Ryenne spoke up, actually, saving Lindor from having to explain anything. Possibly some form of apology for dragging Lindor with them over here in the first place? Kaeda wouldnā€™t be surprised if so. ā€œWe are simplyā€¦ being accompanied byā€¦ him. We have come to prepare for the ball tonight, or more, in particular, he is-ā€œ Ryenne jutted her head towards him, ā€œ... I would simply just look at this letter. It gives you all the information you need.ā€ Ryenne really didnā€™t want to attempt to explain this any more than she had to. This was the first person Kaeda actually had to pretend to be ā€œnoble-likeā€ too, huhā€¦ was he actually going to put in an effort to? Nope. The tailor took the letter from Ryenneā€™s hands with a confused look, then glancing over it, seemed to have realized something.

ā€œO-oh, he is sent by the queen of Riressi over here, huh? And sheā€™ll truly cover everything?ā€ The tailor seemed to not be questioning Kaeda too much anymore. Ryenne nodded her head, and the tailor clapped her hands together. ā€œOk, then! Thatā€™s good enough for me. I know Lindor wouldnā€™t bring in anyone too weird to my shop, after all.ā€ She seems to have chosen not to question it. She hurried off into a side room, and Kaeda followed after her, along with his two guards in tow.

Looks to be a showing or fitting room, if Kaeda had to guess, with the mirrors all decorating the walls, and a dressing room off to the side, along with racks of clothes hanging off to the sides. Ugh, Kaeda felt scrutinized already, and he hasnā€™t even dressed in anything yet. He got pushed up onto a raised piece of flooring in the middle of the room, and the tailor began to take measurements of him. Ryenne and Lindor stood at the side, able to put in their own creative inputs whenever they wanted to.

ā€œYouā€™re doing this awfully late, arenā€™t youā€¦?ā€ The tailor murmured half to herself, sounding confused. ā€œItā€™s a big event, after all, so a lot of the other nobles already have something prepared to wear, but you donā€™tā€¦? Better late than never, I supposeā€¦ā€ Oh, god, was he doing to get judged for not being noble enough by this lady the entire time? This felt like hell. He canā€™t even move his limbs around, since he has to getā€¦ measured and stuff. He thinks he never has gotten measured once in his life before. At least at the ball he can move around and be able to get away with more since they werenā€™t the ones making his clothes! Was it going to be like this at the ball tooā€¦? Maybe he wasnā€™t as confident as he thoughtā€¦ ugh, wait, why does he care about what the other nobles think of him? Heā€™ll be fine.

Kaeda suddenly felt a hand grab his head, in particular, his hair. ā€œWhatā€™s with your hair, you? Itā€™s all cut improperlyā€¦ whoever you had as a barber needs to get fired immediately, Iā€™d say!ā€ Wow, what an insult to Kaedaā€™s own craftsmanship! He didnā€™t take too much offense to it, though.

ā€œHuh? I cut it myself, though. I canā€™t fire myself.ā€ Kaeda said, not realizing that nobles typically donā€™t cut their own hair, only earning a more confused look from the tailor. She retracted her hand from his hair, thankfully, giving Kaeda some relief.

ā€œAhahaā€¦? Why, though? Lindor, who did you even bring in?ā€ She laughed it off, continuing to take measurements of Kaeda. As long as she didnā€™t question it too much, Kaeda thought he could keep his sanity up. He tried to distract himself, glancing around the room, noticing all the jewelry and such lying around. Oooh, did he want to go get a closer ā€œlookā€... wait, canā€™t he just ask now?

ā€œYou seem to be rather excited about everythingā€¦ stop moving around so much, I canā€™t be accurate if you do soā€¦ā€ He was already getting chastised the minute before he was able to ask. Wow, he canā€™t even be happy or excited, either? What did this tailor expect him to act as, a statue? Wasn't he supposed to have fun being a prince or whatever? The tailor already sounded very confused by him in general, but avoiding asking questions, probably because Orym had covered for him in that letter. She definitely was judging him thoughā€¦ how typical. Even if heā€™s being paraded as a prince, it always was going to be the same, wasnā€™t itā€¦ Kaeda just needed to remember that the ball would be more fun, and then once heā€™s done with this he can just ditch this all. He still looked obviously less happy than he was outside, though.

Lindor // Tailor Shop, Kingdom of Moryen

How hard could it be to get some petty thief that had been collecting dust in a jail cell looking like a well-groomed Riressian prince?

Very hard, as it turns out. Especially when said specimen pouted every step of the way. For Lindor, who was raised to study and serve royalty, and had to suddenly perfect his appearance once he was accepted into the guard, it was like going down a checklist of what to fix. And "fix," of course, meant by Riressian standards and not Lindor's own; he wasn't superficial, simply observant, and knew what royals and nobles would pick on once Kaeda entered the ball room. He wanted to make this as smooth of a transition as he could and leave very little for Kaeda to be mocked about. The rest would simply be up to Kaeda's actions, his behaviors, and how good or bad his attempts at high-class politeness would go.

His first challenge was to be shown to the Queen and her daughter. Not an easy duo to impress.

Kaeda's stereotypically contradictory comments made Lindor feel, once more, as if he was coaching a younger sibling into a proper outfit for visiting guests. Of course Ryenne and Lindor were nervous about this ā”€ both their jobs were on the line. Ryenne as a hired guard, and Lindor as an actual guard.

Neither of them wanted to leave this up to chance, especially not when the Queen of Riressi was the one pulling their strings. It could be their heads served on the platter if this whole thing went wrong. With Kaeda's mischievous talents as a thief, and him being an orphan with nothing on the line, Lindor could see him sneak out of this mess alive even if it went south... perhaps sneaking in someone's cart and waking up in a kingdom up north where no one would recognize him or his crimes. Lindor's family was on the line, and his entire life was in jeopardy. And although he didn't particularly enjoy Ryenne's company, he knew she cared more about this than she let on. She was rough around the edges but she had... something important on the line here. Lindor wasn't one to guess on such matters.

As much as he would've wanted to stay out of this, to wipe his hands clean and move on, he understood why Ryenne requested his assistance and he would do his damn best to turn Kaeda into something as close to what the royals expected. Lindor heard some horror stories about how dramatic the Princess of Riressi could be. He didn't want the guy he just managed to free to end up dead. Not that he wanted that kind of mindset in Kaeda's head... he was already wishy-washy as it is, and looked ready to bolt at the soonest opportunity. For a petty thief, like Kaeda a scheme as big as this must make his hands shake, or at least his forehead sweat. Even with two guards guiding his way.

Lindor relaxed his shoulders as the seamstress' hands worked their ways into Kaeda's hair with a professional precision, taking inventory of what to keep and what to change. Based on Aemma's face, there was more to change than to keep. She started taking measurements with practiced ease.

"Young royals are all the same," she sighed, as Kaeda finally held somewhat still. Enough for her not to nip his ears with the measuring tape. Despite her laser focus, she still glanced meaningfully at Lindor. Her question, who is this, Lindor? still hung in the air despite its humorous tone.

"He is the son of a foreign Queen, Aemma. She asked me to guide him. This is his first ball." He hesitated, and then added, "go easy on the lad."

"A foreign prince?" Her eyes lit up in curiosity. She sure loved mysteries, and her tone was now more playful than irritated. "My, my. How interesting. I suppose this is one of your guard duties you can't reveal until the duty is done. We will have a long talk after, won't we?"

"Yes, we will,"
Lindor agreed, with a tad of blush in his cheeks. Why was he so easily mothered by older women? He felt as though he was about to be grounded.

He had come here since he was a kid thanks to his mother being a close friend of hers; she was soft but determined and more than once his description of what he wanted was thrown out the window. Although the results spoke for themselves, Lindor had to admit. He refused to let anyone else touch his hair or dress him nowadays, and so did most high-class people in Moryen. Aemma came from a long line of hairdressers and garment makers, a lineage nearly as old as the Sindri.

She muttered some numbers to herself and noted something on a parchment. She then yelped the numbers at an assistant, who went in the back of the store to presumably find some fitting clothes for Kaeda. Based on how the seamstress moved on to touching Kaeda's hair once more, it would take a little while.

"Now, let's deal with this mop." As if remembering that this was an inexperienced prince, her tone softened. "Anything I cut will grow back out. The cut that I will do on you will frame your face quite nicely, don't you worry. No one here wants you to stand out from the group at the Moryen ball, do we? No," she shook her head, "the royals and nobility can be quite judgmental. Even more than me, I assure you. They'll call you all sorts of things we don't want. They called young Lindor here a wrinkly toad, once, and pulled down his pants in front of a noble girl. He came crying!"

Lindor averted his eyes and made a disgruntled noise. "I was thirteen, Aemma... and I dressed well enough."

"You were sixteen, if I remember right. And you were wearing a blue suit with ruffles and a ridiculous bow! Young man, Lindor was in much worse shape than you."
She went back to her job as if the bickering hadn't happened. She snipped and trimmed and pulled at the hair as delicately as a hairdresser could. Still, Lindor knew it must feel as if Kaeda was a show poodle in that moment. Not very pleasant, especially if you aren't used to being touched.

It didn't take more than fifteen or so minutes before Kaeda's hair was trimmed. As soon as Aemma allowed Kaeda to touch his own hair and look at his reflection in the mirror, giving Lindor a minute to look on as well and get used to the new look ā”€ Kaeda's brown eyes were brighter than he had previously realized, and his freckles were in full sight, with the fluffy hair a bit more tamed... and were those ear piercings? They had been a bit shadowed before ā”€ a heavy-breathing assistant dragged a large collection of suits and bowed back out of the room.

Sifting through the rack of clothes, Aemma took out five outfits and pushed the others out of the way. An assistant broomed the floors to clear out stray hairs without her even noticing him, in the typical way business was done around here during the busy festival season. She put two outfits to one side, and three on the other. "Alright, young lad. On the left you will find more eye-catching suits, and on the other more plain ones. These are all adequate. You may try them on behind this curtain. And here," she put a heavy box down on the table, "is a set of jewelry, including piercing jewelry, to try."

Lindor's breath caught in his throat and he caught Ryenne's eyes beside him at the belated realization that ear piercings were commonly associated with thieves... would it blow their cover? How did he not foreshadow this? before grounding himself, and remembering royal customs. Many kingdoms overseas used piercings to signify reaching maturity, winning battles, and a wide array of other explanations. He knew that Riressi royals especially were fond of jewelry of all kinds.

Aemma didn't seem suspicious in the least. "Yell out if you need me, alright?" Despite the first part being addressed at Kaeda, the last was at Ryenne and Lindor. Lindor nodded gratefully as she left to join her assistants and help the other nobles in the store.

He walked up beside Kaeda's chair. "I apologize for any... discomfort. Aemma can be a tad dramatic. And talkative." He ran a hand through his hair, still embarrassed at all the oversharing his mother's friend did at his expense. It was all the more embarrassing that the stone-faced Ryenne was there to hear it. There was an unspoken truce on getting things over with, with minimal chitchat, but Lindor's ego took a definite blow. "How do you feel about these clothes?"

As excited as he had been to find some familiarity in this shop, he was now just as excited to get things over with. Once the appearance of Kaeda was suitable for his first family meeting, they still had to discuss proper etiquette on the way to the cafe. It would undoubtedly result in a migraine for both Ryenne and himself.

He had always loved the celebrations of holidays, and the Moryen festival season was the most uniquely Moryen of all. He never thought anything could make him dread it. Yet this year... it was exhausting, frantic, fear-inducing. Lindor needed a nap or two. Or three.

Kaeda // Tailor Shop, Kingdom of Moryen

Kaeda came to the realization that if he focuses on standing still, that means this will be over sooner than later. How shocking. As much as he disliked being propped up as he is right now, heā€™ll deal with it for now. He felt the measuring tape against his body, taking measurements of likeā€¦ everything?? It felt odd to Kaeda, only reminding him how much of a different life heā€™s suddenly being thrust into. Nobles do this for every single piece of clothes they wearā€¦? How can they even deal with this for every single piece of clothing they had in their large closets? And Kaeda would always overlook the clothes too! But, itā€™s not fun stealing clothes that were made for someone else, reallyā€¦

Hmā€¦ Lindor doesnā€™t mention that heā€™s a prince of Riressi, huhā€¦? Probably to keep the surprise at the ball still a surprise later. Kaeda couldnā€™t help but suddenly feel a bit uncomfortable when he could see the immediate sudden interest in him by the tailor at this information. It felt a lot moreā€¦ real, that he was going to be actually seen as a prince and treated as such. People other than Lindor and Ryenne are going to see him as a prince, and he wonā€™t be able to act the same way as he does with them, right? Because they know what he really is, a thief. Everyone else is going to get only half of the story. A ā€œcleanā€ version of it, so to say, where him being a thief is conveniently left out. A pristine version of Kaeda was going to be shown, one that's more not him than him. Itā€™s what people want him to be, so that's what he has to become. Kaeda couldnā€™t help but begin to feel even more uncomfortable. Heā€¦ doesn't particularly like this. He feels like heā€™s at home again. He says he doesnā€™t mind the nobles judging him when he annoys them, which is true, but he doesnā€™t like getting ā€œhelpā€ in this way. People have tried it before, his own family being one of them, even Nyrinn did. Tried ā€œsavingā€ him from how he is now. What a joke.

Kaeda felt the measuring tape disappear from being pressed against his skin, now feeling the tailor's hands in his hair again. Oh, now sheā€™s not being judgmental, is she? He already knows how judgemental nobles are, you donā€™t need to tell him twice. Wait, Lindor got all embarrassed over getting told that? That was the best insult nobles can come up with? Kaeda couldnā€™t help but stifle a laugh hearing about this, and seeing Lindor fail to attempt to save himself made him want to laugh even more. Ohh, he kinda wants to see what Lindor actually looked like wearing that! Ugh, he canā€™t really enjoy hearing all about how much of a nerd Lindor was (probably still is) as heā€™s getting his hair snipped with seemingly no direction. Kaeda was just hoping that this tailor could do a better job than he didā€¦

After what felt like an eternity- and a lot of hair, did Kaeda grow it out that muchā€¦? Soon, a mirror was being shoved in front of his face so he could see what he actually looked like. Huhā€¦ it looked kinda strange on Kaeda. His face was completely out, just as the tailor said she was going to do, no longer being covered by bangs. It looked a lot moreā€¦ clean. He touched it lighting, frowning a bit. He guessed he looked ok, but it was like he was looking at someone else in the mirror, probably only added on by his whole new identity as a fake prince. Looking at his face, he didnā€™t really feel thatā€¦ royal-like. Orym had those sharp green eyes and that expertly braided hair, meanwhile Kaeda looked a lot moreā€¦ homely? A good thing when youā€™re a thief, looking plain, but not when youā€™re about to go to a big fancy ball. Kaeda wasnā€™t that insecure about it, just noticing how out of his element he is here even in subtle ways. Maybe heā€™s too observant, and no one is going to look into that much. He does look nice for all itā€™s worth, his hair shows off his earrings pretty wellā€”-

CRAP. He forgot he kept those on! Itā€™s not like he can take them off and put them in a place where he wonā€™t lose themā€¦ ughhh, now the tailor is going to suspect something, wouldnā€™t she? He glanced over quickly to Lindor- Ryenne didn't seem like she was paying much attention to this whole thing, with her staring out the window with a look of sheer boredom on her face- only for him to seem like there was nothing wrong whatsoever, despite him kindaā€¦ staring at him. The tailor continued to talk, now bringing in actual suits. Oh, only 5ā€¦ thatā€™s good, Kaeda thought he would have to go through a bunch of suits or something. Everything seemed pretty busy here, with the tailor going off about the suits and not even remotely caring about his earrings. Ohā€¦ glancing back over to Lindor, he saw Ryenne now looking over at him actually, and Lindor seemed a lot more on edge than he was before. Great job on him remembering what earrings indicated.

ā€œHmm?ā€ Kaeda said as he listened to Lindor, peering at the suits from afar. ā€œHuh? Why are you apologizing for her? If she was really sorry for making me uncomfortable, then she would have apologized to me. Itā€™s pretty obvious I was uncomfortable through that whole ordeal.ā€ Kaeda sighed out. It was always so embarrassing when people tried to apologize for other peopleā€™s actions. Waitā€¦ it came off that Lindor was more embarrassed over that story she told more than anything. Can he just be more clear that thatā€™s really what he means? ā€œYouā€™re just saying that because youā€™re embarrrrsssed, arenā€™t you Linny? Haha! You know, thatā€™s really not that embarrassing. Youā€™re funny for thinking it is! I have more embarrassing things that have happened to me. Which I will not tell you about.ā€ Kaeda laughed, then brought back to what he had to do. ā€œAt least sheā€™s not touching me anymore. Once Iā€™m done with this, then weā€™ll actually likeā€¦ doing something less uncomfortable, right?? So Iā€™ll just choose the first thing I like!ā€ Ryenne seemed somewhat relieved that he was not the picky sort. Why did it seem like she wanted to leave more than he didā€¦?

ā€œThe fancy ones sure lookā€¦ fancy. And by that I mean gaudy.ā€ Kaeda scratched the back of his head. Whatever he determined to be ā€œcoolā€ varied wildly. He would sometimes find gaudy things cool, and then find the same gaudy things boring a week later. These suits were definitely too gaudy for him to take any interest in, with huge frills and large purple flowers adorned on them. Bleh. Also, he doesnā€™t like looking stupid, honestly. Probably why he was looking at the bright purple suit on the ā€œsimpleā€ side with the same expression as he did with the fancy ones.

ā€œPlease donā€™t choose that one. Please.ā€ He heard Ryenne sigh. Probably would be an embarrassment on her half in front of Orym if he picked that one, seeing how sheā€™s (supposed to) be helping him choose an outfit.

ā€œI wasnā€™t going to. No need to tell me twice.ā€ Kaeda sighed. ā€œOk! So weā€™re down to two! See! I told you I would be fast so we didnā€™t have to spend too much time here!ā€ Kaeda just kept on reminding himself that heā€™ll have fun at the ball. He had to! Or no noble would even want to attend one of those things if they were boring. He switched his gaze over to the two other suits- one being a black suit, he thinks itā€™s silk, he doesnā€™t really care about the materials, and a white one, both with purple vests. The white one did look quite nice, with the embroidered flowers on the vest and all, not gaudy like the fancy ones, but the black one was piquing his interest more. It was typical to dress in dark colors more than light ones for him, mainly for the fact that black hid, white didn't. If he was thinking this ball was going to be easy pickings, it would make sense for him to think this way. Even though Lindor and Ryenne probably wouldnā€™t like that reasoning.

ā€œOk, I have decided I like the black one!ā€ Kaeda announced with no further explanation. If they ask, heā€™ll just say itā€™s the color or something. Half-truths!

ā€œCan you actually try it on thenā€¦?ā€ Ryenne pointed out the obvious, but to Kaeda, that was just an annoyance. Didn't the lady measure him? He already knows it fits! Fine. He guesses he could test out this suitā€™s hiding ability now. Disappearing behind the curtain for quite a while- who knew suits were so hard to get on- he appeared back into the main room, and struck a quick pose, then laughed.

ā€œSeeee! It fits me great, doesn't it!ā€ Kaeda crossed his arms proudly. He looked in the mirror, still feeling a bit unsure if this really ā€œfits himā€, but it sure fits his fake prince self more than anything, he thinks. He noticed his earrings in the mirror again. Oh, of course! He has to go look at that earring box! Theyā€™re small enough that they make them way too easy pickings. Heā€™d be stupid to pass them up. Heading over to the table, he popped open the box.

ā€œSo what is the whole Riressian view on earrings anyways? That lady didnā€™t seem tooā€¦ aware of my own earrings. I got pretty freaked out when I realized I forgot to take em out.ā€ He asked, more or so wondered out loud, as he picked through the earrings in the box, picking up some to actually try on while slipping some underneath the sleeves of the dress shirt, not even trying to be careful in doing so, as he knows they are looking out for any secretive behavior on his part. Doing things in plain sight worked so much of the time because people arenā€™t looking out for it. Doing it in front of two guards only made it so much more exciting! He hoped that he would be able to find a new place to keep his stash soon.

Lindor faded to the background as the duo bickered among themselves. It gave him some time to himself, and to his thoughts

As Kaeda tried on clothes, Ryenne's monotonous, let's-get-this-over-with tone guided him along. Kaeda actually went along with things as best as he could, with minimal complaint... the complaints he did raise, of course, were whiny and rather loud, but not nearly as rambunctious as expected. What a relief for his two companions. Him not dragging his feet about, and accepting the task at hand, was a welcome surprise.

Lindor knew that Ryenne and himself were on the same wavelength when it came to wanting things done neatly and quickly. Get clothes, put new jewelry in, get out. Then comes the next step. Point A, to B, to C, and then Lindor could walk his sore feet back to his home to bring his latest paycheck to his family, grab a quick homemade snack, and get back to work. With maybe even a quick nap in-between. Ryenne would be free to... do whatever else was required of her. They could nod as cordially as possible, and never meet again. On not quite bad terms, yet not quite good terms either. Neutral terms, perhaps. A lot had happened in very few hours and more was on the line than either had expected.

Lindor had mentally prepared for some grandiose temper tantrums from Kaeda, maybe an attempted escape or two on the way there. Nevermind him actually acting as polite as he could inside the shop and getting things done without causing a scene. It was a huge relief, although the worst had yet to come.

To be perfectly honest, even if it was rather childish of him, Lindor's expectations of Kaeda had been nosediving ever since he found him with a half-open jail cell door talking to the Riressian guard. He had set him up pretty nicely in there, even left some food and distractions, and yet... Kaeda hadn't taken anything seriously, even seeming to be playing with him. He still lockpicked the door and hung around visibly enough for Ryenne ā”€ and any other potentially dangerous guard or visitor ā”€ to ambush him. He played with fire. If Lindor had arrived as one of his superiors found Kaeda there... well, they could have both ended up in jail.

Still, Lindor was patient, and knew pouting wouldn't solve anything. Sure, it had seemed as if Kaeda would run off at any opportunity and put Lindor's job and the fragile truce between Riressi and Moryen in jeopardy... but he hadn't. That had to count for something, right? He wasn't one to hold onto grudges and he didn't see criminals when he looked at the royal prisoners. He saw men down on their luck who, yes, did crimes in the moment. They were not defined by their actions. Most had a reason that you could get out of them, something human that explained why they did what they did. No matter what the crime was. Those reasons are what was kept Lindor's sanity as he fought what immature guards called "villains." He knew they had a reason. He just needed to dig it out of them, and put them back on the right path or at least out of harm's way. Reasons had him agree to help people others had long given up on, including Kaeda.

What was Kaeda's reason? He hadn't done the crime he was convicted of, sure. But what of his other crimes? What was his reason then?

Lindor watched with a curious look as Kaeda twirled around in his black suit with an expertly crafted purple vest. He looked more devilish than ever in the black satin, like a noble merchant ready to trick you into a bad deal. Lindor knew the type; they always reeked of magic use and their suits were more expensive than any of their supposedly luxurious wares. If Kaeda had been born a noble, would that have been his path? With a personality like his and the proper attire, there was no doubt he could swindle from old noble ladies with ease. "The color suits you," Lindor agreed, as Kaeda pranced. He let out a shaky laugh as Kaeda pointed out what could've ended up in a real disaster... his piercings, a common thief symbol. He had a few seconds of self-reflection, staring at the shiny jewels in the box. As Ryenne and Kaeda's back-and-forth died down and Kaeda turned to him, he cleared his throat.

"I admit blood ran cold in my veins when I first saw them," Lindor said as he, uselessly, folded the suits Kaeda rejected and sat on the familiar orange chair Kaeda had sat on for his haircut. Nostalgia caught in his throat, and he couldn't help a smile as he touched the wooden armrests with his hand. "But there is nothing to worry about. Riressian men, as with other foreign royalty men, are known for wearing piercing jewelry as a high-class status. It isn't the case with Moryens, of course. But such things are normalized during the festival, with so many diverse royal families. Aemma thought nothing of it." The weight of stress eased from his shoulders as he relaxed in the chair. So many afternoons were spent here as a child, babysat by Aemma.

The silver jewelry in his hands glittered in the light as Kaeda hummed, hesitating between a few. Lindor resolved to be on the look out for him snatching purses and shiny items at the ball. His eyes tried to track his hands around the box, but he knew he was no match for an orphan thief. They were street smart, doing it not just for entertainment but for survival. Although Kaeda seemed to have more fun with it than necessary.

All that he learned about the thief-turned-prince so far was that he was childishly curious, grumpy when having to follow rules, and would definitely pick a lock to get out of any slightly uncomfortable situations, even situations that could benefit him, Lindor's sanity, and the greater realm. Being an orphan down on his luck must not have helped it, but surely that wasn't the main reason for his addiction to thievery and other illegal mischief. Lindor didn't expect to be trusted with a stranger's intimate life story... he had chosen to help Kaeda out of the goodness of his heart, not as a debt. He wouldn't force answers out of him. Still, until he had a heart-to-heart and understood where Kaeda came from, and why he played games with the law, Lindor would keep track of him among crowds. The same way his mother kept a patient eye on a cat she found on the streets when he was brought back home, so he didn't scratch the furniture or his younger siblings. There's no telling what the streets did to him, Lindor's mother said at the time. The words echoed in his brain as he applied them to this particular "street cat."

"If this suit isn't too stuffy for you, keep it on. It'll make a great impression on your mother and sister. Once you pick some piercing jewelry and new shoes then we can head somewhere quiet, perhaps the library, to prepare for your first meeting. Which is..." Lindor turned towards the hired guard, eyebrows raised. "Where exactly are you taking him after this, Ryenne?" He gestured towards Kaeda. The ball wasn't until evening, and it wasn't even noon yet. There were many hours left. "If you need directions, or advice, I'm more than happy to help. I'm at your service for the next hour or two. But after that, I need to stop by my family home before my next shift... and with the ball tonight I'll have my hands full," he gave a sympathetic smile ā”€ one that he knew would be ignored, with Ryenne's grumpy predisposition ā”€ and waved down an assistant that had been scurrying by.

"May he please have some shoes to go with this?" He requested, to which the assistant dropped the clothes on the floor with a thump and before digging through a nearby pile of shoes. She presented some shiny black shoes, and at Kaeda's and Ryenne's disinterest in choosing he nodded in their place. The assistant placed them in front of Kaeda before bowing out of the room, cheeks red. At the submissive behavior Lindor laughed and shook his head in disbelief. "I knew that woman as a young lad, and she used to judge anyone even bowing at a noble... she even dated my brother for a while, back when he had more dirt on his face than there was on the ground and his hair looked like a dead porcupine. Now look at her! I'd reckon she has a thing for you, Kaeda. I don't know what it is with women and suits." Catching himself gossiping, he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Sheesh, I'm turning into my older sister!"

He couldn't help getting into a good mood from spending time in such a familiar place. Usually by now he would be grabbing some ale at the tavern and chatting with neighbors and strangers. Just for the sake of socializing, enjoying himself. Subconsciously he had slipped into such a mood with Ryenne and Kaeda. While Kaeda was nothing to worry about, more talkative than Lindor could ever hope to be, he knew Ryenne must be very unimpressed by his banter.

Right. Point A, B, and C. Stick to the mission, no matter how comfortable the chair and how comforting Aemma's motherly smile was.

Speaking of... "oh, would you look at that! I knew you would clean up nicely, young man." Aemma's eyes narrowed, but her smile stayed friendly. "Feel free to keep those jewels in your pocket as well. A royal such as yourself can afford the whole store, can't you?"

Lindor groaned in humiliation and muttered Kaeda's name like a disobedient child... had he truly? Right under Lindor's eyes? Still, it didn't annoy him as badly as he expected, not with Aemma's forgiving nature.

She laughed. "I've had my fair share of sticky hands in this store. Lindor brings many rascals here." She held her hand, as if to wave off any explanations or apologies Lindor or Kaeda may have for her. "Haven't had this much fun seeing the... end result," she looked approvingly at Kaeda's suit, even brushing off some non-existent dirt from the shoulder, "in a long, long time. Most people who come here have luxurious tailors back home. No one is surprised by my craft anymore! Go figure." She grabbed a pair of golden piercings and put them in Kaeda's suit pocket. "Here. To keep you from stealing on the road." She winked, patted his shoulder once more, and left to welcome some new customers.

"I... don't know what I expected." Although he wanted to be mad, Lindor laughed almost despite himself. "I need a leash. Or better eyesight. How did you swap it? I was looking right at it... thieving orphans are truly something else." He realized his words a bit too late. "Ah, sorry. Didn't mean to make light of that." Who dares to joke about something like that? The poor guy had no family. As if to punctuate the apology, he stood up and fixed his crumpled guard clothes. "Anyway... now that you look the part, we can get going and teach you a few nobility tricks. Let's make up for lost time."

It was in Kaeda's blood, after all. He was Prince Kaeda DĆ¹ghall of Riressi. It shouldn't be too difficult to awaken his father's legacy in him.

Last edited:
Kaeda // Tailor Shop, Kingdom of Moryen

Seems like Lindor is none the wiser, getting all comfy in the chair he was sitting in. Ryenne meanwhile seemed to be looking out the window again, tapping her foot. How impatient! And sheā€™s not the one getting all dressed up! Well, they both seem to think that black suits him, and did not think of any ulterior motives he had for picking out a dark suit. Kaeda definitely felt a bit odd wearing it around, unused to the high-quality materials and how it fitted him. He was used to wearing baggy things. Things that conceal your body type. He felt like he was front and center wearing something like this. He didnā€™t reallyā€¦ think heā€™ll like the attention of being someone ā€œimportantā€ now. Maybe he would? Heā€™s unsure.

ā€œHmm, I assumed it had something to do with high-class status. Itā€™s why you see people in myā€¦ jobā€¦ wearing earrings. If itā€™s something associated with the high class, itā€™s bastardized by us wearing it. It's basically a challenge to them, that weā€™re wearing something that we did not ā€œearnā€ or ā€œdeserveā€ in the ā€œright wayā€. It pisses off Moryen nobles so much they stopped wearing them, right? In public, at least! I have seen their jewelry boxes. Hehe.ā€ Kaeda spoke calmly, moving his hands away from the earrings box, his sleeves making a jostle as he then put his hands in the suitā€™s pockets, jostling his earnings into the deep pockets. He didnā€™t take too much! Just about 3 pairs. Thatā€™s not a lot, is it? And he is definitely not hurting this tailor by doing so, looking at how busy she was. He deserved it after waiting for so long! And having to pass by all those nobles on the streets!

The fourth pair he wanted he thinks goes with his suit, being silver and having amethyst inlaid in them. He quickly took off his old earrings, slipping them into his pocket with the other earrings, and put the new ones on. Looking in the mirror, he had to say his prince self didnā€™t look too bad! Still didnā€™t look like himself though. Maybe that was a good thingā€¦? He would have grabbed some jewelry too, but he thinks he will startā€¦ jostlingā€¦ if he does so. Turning around to face Lindor on the chair, he had a big grin on his face, buzzing with excitement almost. Lindor probably is going to assume heā€™s happy about getting all dressed up, but Kaeda just feels the thrill of getting away with obtaining some more earrings even under the gaze of two guards.

ā€œOh, yes yes! Iā€™ll keep the suit on. I already put my old earrings in my pocket. Donā€™t wanna lose them, ya know?ā€ Kaeda hummed as he told the half-truth. Hey, he never said there was anything else in his pockets! Kaedaā€™s grin quickly faltered a bit. ā€œHuhhhā€¦?? I gotta do more prep?? Donā€™t I look the part already?ā€

Ryenne huffed. ā€œSure, you look all fancy, but you need to clean up your act. Iā€™ll take you down to the inn where youā€™ll meet with Or- her majesty, where I assume she will want to see how you are doing and assess if you can actually go out to the ball as a representation of Riressi tonight. No embarrassments, even if you are a prince and she wishes for you to make an appearance at the ball. Youā€™ll also meet the princess.ā€ She rattled off, not seeming very enthused to have to go see Orym again. Kaeda wonders if they had some sort of miscommunication since she kept on saying she assumes. She turned her attention towards Lindor. ā€œI am a bit unaware of how to get to the inn from here, though, so if you could provide some guidance, that would be appreciated.ā€ Ryenne asked, but it came off in a more ā€œyou better do thisā€ sort of tone than making a request. Kaeda canā€™t really blame her that much. It seemed like Lindor knew a lot more ā€œroyal stuffā€ than she did.

Kaeda hadnā€™t even noticed the assistant before he was getting someone bowing down in front of him with a pair of shoes in hand. Uhā€¦? Why is he getting bowed to? Oh right, princeā€¦ but why is she so red? Is something wrong with her? He looked to Lindor for an explanation. Wait, what? What was Lindor even going on aboutā€¦? He only felt even more confused.

ā€œOhā€¦ she has the hots for me, you mean?ā€ Kaeda realized and then laughed. ā€œOh, she better not. For multiple reasons.ā€ Kaeda believes brevity is needed in this situation. No further explanation, since it would probably lead to the whole ā€œIā€™m actually faking being a princeā€ thing. Also, the fact that heā€™s not giving out personal information to some guards remains. He knows better than that!

Kaedaā€™s attention was then caught by the tailor entering the room. Oh, she better not be here to make him try on other things! Oh. She seems like she caught onto him. Kaeda was caught a bit off guard over it being her and not one of the guards trained to stop these things from happening in the first place, but he kept his calm disposition up. It was never good to look cornered. Butā€¦ she didnā€™t seem to be particularly upset. Or even mad. She seemed to think it was a huge compliment that Kaeda wanted to steal from herā€¦? Maybe? He wants to steal from anywhere he doesnā€™t feel bad about stealing from. Maybe he was misreading this womanā€™s intentions, but hey, heā€™s not in trouble! And he gets even more cool things! Heā€™s not going to look into it too much. No need to waste his time on people somehow letting him go. They might change their minds if he gets annoying. Too bad he is definitely going to continue stealing on the road. Heā€™s honest with himself.

ā€œHuh? What? I canā€™t tell if you are actually angry at me or not.ā€ Kaeda sighed as he heard Lindor go on about how he is surprised that Kaeda could have done such a thing under his watch. And make a joke Kaeda would have gotten offended if he actually was an orphan. ā€œYou expect me to tell you how I did that? Iā€™m not letting out my secrets of the trade, sooo-rrryy.ā€ He grinned, finding it funny how confident Lindor was that he would catch him. He wonders if he could get away with it right under his watch again. ā€œIf you are mad at me, I dunno why, because that tailor didnā€™t seem too ticked off. See? She doesnā€™t even care about things getting stolen, she probably wouldnā€™t have even realized if I wasnā€™t being cockyā€¦.ā€ Kaedaā€™s voice trailed off, with a small pause before he changed the subject. ā€œAnyways, you really donā€™t need to apologize. I donā€™t even know what was so bad about that. But, eh, nobility tricksā€¦? You want me to do even more behavior correction until I even get to the inn itselfā€¦?ā€

ā€œI donā€™t see how thatā€™s a bad thing if heā€™s coming with us.ā€
Ryenne chimed in, wanting to stop Kaedaā€™s complaining already. ā€œProbably knows Moryen nobilityā€™sā€¦ quirksā€¦ more than we do. You need to know how not only Riressian nobility works but Moryenā€™s, too if we want this to go as smoothly as possible.ā€ Ryenne seemed to want to say more, but seemed to just mutter some words under her breath about ā€œOrymā€ and ā€œstupidā€ and ā€œimpossibleā€. She has a lot of hope for this plan, doesn't she!

Walking over to the inn, Kaeda couldnā€™t help but notice there were a lot more eyes on him as he walked. Maybe it was because he was wearing an expensive-looking suit in the middle of the day, but he certainly felt like he had more of a ā€œpresenceā€ overall. It was a bit uncomfortable. While they were waiting outside of the library for Lindor to get a book about ā€œnobilityā€- Kaeda tried to argue against that (itā€™s boring reading) but failed- it became a lot more apparent to him. Walking around looking all-important with two guards tailing you is sure to earn you some looks. Lindor seemed to be really into the idea of teaching Kaeda ā€œnobility rulesā€. Or maybe that was just because compared to Ryenne he was actually attempting to teach him. Ryenne was still obviously not wanting to do this. So did he!

They made it to the inn fast enough, he supposed because Lindor couldnā€™t get too into it. Kaeda being actually at the inn made him feel a lot more uneasy than he was before, as heā€¦ canā€™t imagine the princess taking too kindly to him. Nor did he really want to sit through something where heā€™ll be taught how to act ā€œproperā€, whatever that meant. Ugh. How much longer until he could go to the ballā€¦? His excitement from his earrings escapade already dwindled out for the most part. He would have gone and poked around the belongings of some of the nobles he sees walking around the inn, itā€™s the whole reason why he even came over to the capital city, but here is he, getting chaperoned by two guards.

The minute they entered the inn, some maid stormed over to them, eyes trained directly on Ryenne, not even giving a single glance at Kaeda and Lindor. ā€œWhere have you been!!! I have an important message for you from her majesty!!!ā€ She shouted, way too loud as if Ryenne wouldnā€™t be able to hear her somehow. Ryenne looked confused, just taking the letter that was being shoved into her hands, not even saying anything before the maid ran off again. Probably has to do a lot of stuff around here with so many nobles around.

ā€œIā€¦ ok. Let me just read the letterā€¦ā€ Ryenne sighed, not knowing how to process that. She flipped open the letter, and genuine annoyance flashed across her face. It wasnā€™t the same annoyance she had in the tailor shop, this one was anger-annoyance. ā€œHer majesty isn't here. According to this, she went over to a cafe with the princess to discuss things with her. If only she fuckingā€¦ ahaha, never mind. I simply left early this morning to do what I was told, but was not informedā€¦ of this. We hadā€¦ ā€œdiscussedā€ this last night, but she failed to mention that she wanted to go to a cafe.ā€ Wow, could Ryenne make herself sound any less pissed off?

ā€œSoā€¦ we gotta walk over to the cafe nowwwwā€¦?ā€ Kaeda whined, and Ryenne seemed like she agreed with him about how annoying this was.

ā€œWe still have time to make it, I suppose. It would provide goodā€¦ practice before you actually meet her highness.ā€ Ryenne sounded like she had to prepare Kaeda the best she could for dealing with this princess. Kaeda honestly is a bit concerned now.

"This is a large city, Ryenne. The cafe you're talking about is almost an hour away by carriage, nevermind by foot..." Lindor shook his head helplessly. He was used to tight deadlines, but not something as unfeasible as walking across the city within the next two hours if he wanted to please a foreign Queen and keep his head at the end of the ball. He didn't blame Ryenne for not knowing the map of the city and not having known the Queen's plan... he knew how impulsivity ran in most royal bloodlines, and keeping them happy involved doing the impossible. "Even running at full speed would only get us halfway in two hours. And that's being generous. Plus, the streets downtown will be packed with festival goers and hard to navigate."

pointed at one of the colorful carriages parked near the inn, with some butlers, maids, and servants guarding them. Some servants were passionately scrubbing them to be even shinier than they already were, while some maids changed out wilting flowers in flower vases ā”€ why a royal would need a vase on a carriage ride was beyond him, were they not afraid of it breaking? ā”€ puffed up the pillows and placed fresh snacks into a woven basket. "Wouldn't we be illegible for one of those? Courtesy of the Riressian Queen?" He chewed at his lips, thoughtful. "You look princely enough now, he patted Kaeda's shoulder reassuringly with a smooth-talking smile, nodding. Although to be honest he needed as much reassurance as Kaeda did; Kaeda had the look down, sure, but none of the behaviors. The lad hadn't even given the book in his hands a customary glance after thoroughly mocking it on the way here. "I'm sure they'll indulge it."

Two of the carriages were an obvious Riressian shade of purple, and one was already leaving. Damn it.

"Get it clean before her majesty comes back," a butler said, readjusting his watch.

A strained voice came from inside the purple car, and Lindor watched as her skirt full of frills stuck out of it and her feet moved in the air as she tried to clean the deepest parts of it. "What do you reckon I'm doing in there, Pleufan? Napping? Lord, wouldn't that be grand. Haven't slept in days."

"It's festival season, none of us do! Get back to it."

"Haven't stopped,"
the woman huffed as she scrubbed on. She sat back and dipped her cloth into a bucket full of soapy water, straining it.

The other two hadn't paid much attention to the exchange, talking together, preparing for the trek to the cafe. Ryenne was visibly fuming and Kaeda was whining as loudly as ever. Lindor lifted a hand to signal he would be right back, but it didn't get more than a vague hum from either of them. He took a few steps towards the curb, making sure not to bump into anyone as they moved to and fro various carriages while others jogged alongside the street with their arms full of trinkets, with the odd couple strolling peacefully, giggling, pointing to different stalls. Noble foreigners here to enjoy the festivities.

"Excuse me, my lady," Lindor bowed his head ever so slightly, catching the maid's eye. She did a comical double-take, looking behind herself uselessly.

"Me?" The butler beside her rolled his eyes and shook his head, watching her put the cloth back in the bucket and standing straight.

"Yes, good day to you both. I couldn't help but notice the Riressian emblem," he pointed to the Riressian seal on the car, which was shining from the fresh coat. "Are you awaiting someone in particular?"

"Nobody, no. We try to clean it whenever we get the chance, the Widow Queā”€ um, forgive me,"
she squeaked, her cheeks burning red, eyes wide. "Queen Orym, ruler of Riressi, does not allow any dust or dirt on her belongings. However little."

"Understandable. Not to bother you, of course... but as it was, the Queen's guard has been requested to meet her Majesty at a location too far from here to reach on foot. From the letter she received, it is quite an emergency. Her son, Prince Kaeda, is with us."

"Son...?"
The demeanor of the maid changed from exhausted, wiping her brow, to clenching Lindor's hands in her own in excitement. "Is that him, there?"

The butler cleared his throat. It seemed to jump her into action.

"Ah, yes, of course, my apologies good sir. Knight. Knight, sir." She laughed, a girly giggle, trying hard to compose herself. All Lindor could think about was each minute going by, making them later than the last. As if realizing the hurry, she pushed the butler out of the way ā”€ he grunted in protest ā”€ and opened the door wide, giving a curtsy. "Please, this carriage is all yours. Wouldn't want to keep the Queen waiting!"

"Here we are,"
Lindor yelled from a distance to Ryenne and Kaeda, waving his hand to catch their attention. Feeling childish, he gave them two thumbs up. They'd have plenty of time to spare if they got into it right away. Enough time, even, to give Kaeda a short lesson on royalty before the first Kaeda-Orym confrontation.

Pyre // Pastry shop, Kingdom of Moryen

The princess' hair was tangled, her makeup uneven from the hysterics that had been going on the past hour. Pouting now, as a nervous waiter refilled her teacup. Pyre had tuned everything out after the first ten minutes, and a migraine fully settled in after thirty. Now, she was stoic and had finally made some progress if Elashor's quiet huffing was a sign of progress and not a bigger storm to come.

"Can I get a word in, now, daughter?" Pyre said, enunciating every word without even trying to sound like an evil Queen. Elashor truly made her want to cast a dark spell, anxiety be damned. Everything be damned! She had enough of the young girl. She gave up long ago on maintaining a patient faƧade. Her disapproval and disdain showed clearly on her face, not that Elashor had looked at it much during their mother-daughter dinner. She was too busy thinking of herself and her emotions about... what, having a secret sibling? The issues royalty and nobles had were beyond Pyre's empathy.

"I suppose, now that my life is over," Elashor said. The only reason her tone wasn't whiny was because her voice was strained from all the crying and yelling.

"Your life is not over and you know it. You can stop the dramatics. If you had wanted to leave and not see your brother, you would be long gone already."

"Forgive me for being a tad curious about the big secret dad held all these years! While horse-riding with me, having dinner with us, he had another family all along. He twirled his beard and smiled through it all. How can you forgive him?" She stabbed her omelette forcefully. "What a crook."

"I can't forgive the dead. He did what he did, and he had his reasons for it."
What did this girl want her to say? That she forgave him? Give her a break. She bets even the real Orym wouldn't forgive something like adultery. In fact, she wouldn't be surprised if Orym turned him to ashes on the spot if something like a secret child had really happened. "You don't need to forgive him, you just need to do what's right for this family."

Pyre didn't have the emotional energy to keep a conversation going about her already huge web of lies. She just wanted the royal girl to sit still and behave when the prisoner arrived. She wanted to be back at the Riressi castle already, hiding in her room. Enjoying good food and an even better bed. Savoring her victory, instead of hyperventilating at the prospect of Riressi being ruled by the Moryen Prince with this heartless, brainless girl by his side.

"So what? I get all buddy-buddy with a brother I never knew? Act like I'm all happy that he's stealing my throne? It's not fair."

Stupid, entitled little brat. Oh how Pyre wished she could cover her face with hairy moles and warts, remind her that a pretty face and bucket loads of gold doesn't make your soul worth anything. She could turn all the Riressian fortune, every single gold coin, into pebbles. She could turn her dress to rags, and pretend she didn't know her. Leave her on the curb to live life the way all those street people do, the ones Elashor scorns so easily. Give her real issues to worry about.

"Life isn't fair. You will get used to that as you get older." Even as she said it, Pyre doubted it. She would probably still live in her little dollhouse, untouched by the common folk. She would probably never go through hardships in her life and die thinking herself worth mourning. Pathetic. "Now, Elashor... will you behave with your brother? Will you give him a polite welcome?"

"If only I could let that scary assassin guard you hired take care of him. I'm sure she would give him a very warm welcome on my behalf,"
she laughed. "But... I don't really have much of a choice, do I? Once the general public knows he exists, he'll be stuck to our family like a leech. Might as well see what he's about. Maybe he'll entertain me enough to not send him to the dungeons." She seemed honest enough. Not that Pyre knew her enough to tell.

"Good. Very good. Your personal guard Ryenne should be on her way with him by now."

"Hilarious. Maybe one will kill the other by the time they arrive, and I won't have to deal with this."

Pyre didn't grant that comment any reaction, satisfied enough knowing that the meeting should go according to plan. She expects some whining and raised voices here and there, but it shouldn't be anything as dramatic as Elashor's first reaction. The cafe's staff was still shaking from that ordeal.

Here's to hoping Ryenne got the thieving boy to look, and sound, presentable. Elashor may be a moronic rich girl but even she would notice if he acts like a brash idiot with no tact or class, or if his clothes make him look dirt poor. Did she give Ryenne enough instructions? Did the maid manage to find her and Kaeda in time and deliver her message? She gave it that morning, when she assumed Ryenne was still sleeping or perhaps training. She thought Ryenne would wait before leaving the inn, despite their fight the night before. She instructed the maids to prepare her a large breakfast and tell her to meet her for lunch. Wasn't that a tad presumptuous? Ah, damn all this childish awkwardness with a woman Pyre wouldn't have thought twice about otherwise. Yet she needed her. In this foreign kingdom she needed her assistance and paid her very generously, enough to feed and home her entire village for a few years once Pyre didn't need her employment anymore. Wasn't that worth it, a few months of annoyance for stability back home? Many people would view it as an exceptional opportunity. Yes, Pyre was in the body of the scum of the Earth, and she herself would take every chance to mock and resent Orym, but... wasn't the money good enough to shrug it off, and not make a big deal out of everything? Why did she have such a tantrum last night?

Ugh, who am I kidding, she thought to herself. Hearing myself makes me sick. I bet that's how royals rationalize manipulating people with their gold. Am I no better? She watched as a maid dropped a broom near their table, and Elashor huffed loudly enough for the poor thing to scramble on her feet and repeat apologies again and again as she bowed back into the inn. Elashor seemed pleased with herself, like a cat watching an ant and pawing at it uselessly. I'm not one to tolerate bad tempered people around me, it tickles my magic... I'd usually throw a spell at her, maybe make her as hairy as a cat, or perhaps give her a lisping snake tongue, anything to make her leave. But to be honest there's no need for me to try to earn her trust or whatnot... I run very little risk of betrayal if she's displeased with me, so I don't need to pay her disapproval any mind.

If only she didn't feel like melting into a puddle anytime someone confronted her. She was not one to waste her time on people who disliked her. And, luckily for her, most people disliked her. Ah, to be back in her tent with her frogs and her potions in her old robes, thinking of what mushrooms to use for dinner...

As if to punctuate that thought, she heard the familiar sound of hooves beating the ground as horses trailed a carriage their way.

A grim-faced butler came out the front seat, and opened the door. The Moryen guard's long hair came into sight, then his face, which didn't notice her at first. He turned to the carriage and spoke into it. "Not to bad of a ride, was it?" He tended a hand. "Let's get you to your family, your highness."

Elashor at those last words mouthed at her something intelligible with eyes wide, which Pyre assumed questioned if her brother was in there. Pyre nodded.

She stood and straightened her posture, something unlike her. For the few days Pyre had known her, Elashor had very rarely done anything for someone else's benefit unless it was some high-class member of society. And the person needed to be very high up the societal ladder to earn such... "privilege."

The Sindri boy noticed them and bowed. "Ah, your Majesty. We meet once more."

Pyre barely smiled in acknowledgement, a weak effort. She was too nervous to give much more. Would he convince Elashor? Did she mess up? Oh, she was unlucky as ever and she screwed it all up, didn't she? She didn't give enough guidance to Ryenne, who was no royal savant to begin with, and now her plan would fail miserably and the Riressi kingdom would be as lost as it was before she stole this stupid body, what a complete and totalā”€

Oh?

Her panic died in her throat as she saw slightly shorter hair ā”€ when on earth did they get him a haircut? ā”€ and purple cloth... Ryenne came out first, clouding Pyre's and Elashor's view of the new Riressian heir. She couldn't help but hold her breath, and her trepidation must be showing clearly on her face.

"Brother?" Elashor's voice came. It sounded uncharacteristically vulnerable.

This could lead to pleasantries and a job well done or more whining and yelling than ever before.

Kaeda // Carriage, Kingdom of Moryen

Kaeda was in a different world here, and he was only just a helpless bystander. Watching all the servants change even the tiniest things to make sure they were perfect for something as simple as a carriage ride wasā€¦ strange. Kaeda got around from place to place hitching rides off of horse-drawn carriages, but royal carriages just feltā€¦ different. Much different than the carriages they usually take him to jail on. Those are the worsstttt! And then they complain when Kaeda complainsā€¦ if they didnā€™t want him to complain, they shouldnā€™t have thrown him back there and been mean to him! He was now going to get touted around a carriage as a prince, though, not a prisoner. Lindor seemed to want him to get the full luxury treatment. Isnā€™t he afraid of likeā€¦ Kaeda going power-hungry if he keeps on treating him nicely and making him get anything he wants? Lindor is weird. But maybe thatā€™s just because Kaeda never got along with guards in the first place. Was this how they always acted? Didn't that get tiring? Lindor was always acting like he needed to impress Kaeda or something. Even though he knows heā€™s a thief? Why is he trying to impress someone like him? Ugh. Too weird.

ā€¦Watching Lindor interact with the maid and butler just proved to Kaeda that he acts in that prim and proper way to everyone. Itā€™s nice to know heā€™s not only doing it to suck up to Kaeda, at least? He has no idea how Lindor manages all this. Itā€™s almost impressive, but it feels too fake for Kaeda to really appreciate it. ...He keeps on saying that Lindor is acting fake, but what if he really wants to act that way? Thatā€™s actually who he is? Kaeda knows heā€™s a Sindri, butā€¦ ignoring the family name and what he was obviously brought up on to believe and act like, maybe Lindor is really just a suck-up. Nothing that could happen to him could change that. Hell, a sudden change in power didn't stop him from being one. Then itā€™s not fake? And Kaeda is just being rude in his head for no reason? When did Kaeda get so interested in other people again? Itā€™s not every day he meets a guard thatā€™s nice to him, he supposed thatā€™s why. Ohā€¦ heā€™s staring at Lindor, he must look creepyā€¦ Kaeda sighed out, looking away to see even more people passing by and heading in and out of the inn.

ā€œNo one's staring at you here.ā€ Kaeda heard Ryenne say, and he looked up at her. She seemed to have calmed down at least a little from Orym driving her crazy with making plans up on the spot, but her face remained ā€œmildly annoyedā€ as it always is. Ryenne really does fit the ā€œscary guardā€ look. Probably makes people overlook the fact that she doesnā€™t feel like a guardā€¦ ā€œOhā€¦ I mean that as a good thing.ā€ She added on quickly, realizing the connotation. Kaeda looked at her funny.

ā€œHmmm? Howwww? Isnā€™t it better if everyoneā€™s giving me attention if Iā€™m the prince?ā€

ā€œ...You fit in with all the other nobles, thatā€™s what I mean. No one staring at you means you donā€™t look like an idiot trying to fit in with all the other nobles. You look like a noble.ā€
Ryenne explained, and Kaeda feltā€¦ relieved? He didnā€™t know how he felt. He was happy he was just blending in with everyone else, but stillā€¦ did he even want that? He isnā€™t a noble, nor ever will he be one, either. Fitting in with nobles just feltā€¦ foreign. Like he wasnā€™t even himself. Butā€¦ Ryenne did have a point. It was better for Kaeda to just be overlooked in the masses of nobles at the ball rather than singled out and scrutinized. He grinned.

ā€œOh, that is a good thing! No one wants to pay attention to meee~ so I can get away with mooooree~. Itā€™s just like how you fit in with all the other guards despite not acting like a proper one~.ā€ Kaeda hummed in a sing-song voice, and Ryenne looked at him like she wanted to strangle him. Ahhhh!! ā€œDonā€™t look at me with such a scary look! Guards arenā€™t supposed to do that to the prince, you knooooowww?ā€ Okā€¦ maybe heā€™s having a bit too much fun messing with Ryenne right now.

ā€œWatch it, you.ā€ Ryenne huffed out, crossing her arms, eyes trained on Kaeda in a death stare. ā€œDonā€™t run your mouth. Nobles like lying to one another. Keeping up facades. You should learn how to do that, too.ā€ Oooh, is he getting lectured to behave properly? Maybe she really is more like a guard than he thought. Especially with the way sheā€™s talking down to him right now!

ā€œWhat, youā€™re going to teach me like Linny is trying to do?ā€ Kaeda looked over to see what Lindor was up to, noticing that he was done with securing a carriage for them if the two thumbs up were any indication. Kaeda gave a small wave to indicate that he heard him. ā€œWell, if you want to do that, do it in the carriage then, ooook?ā€ Kaeda hummed, running over to the carriage before Ryenne could even respond to him.

All of them entered into the carriage, and Kaeda already had to get lectured to sit properly in it the minute it went off by both Ryenne and Lindor. Why didnā€™t they want Kaeda to enjoy himself? This was a lot better than a prison carriage, yet he wasnā€™t yelled at to sit properly even when he was being shuttled over to the jail. Why is he being treated in a more controlling manner as a prince rather than a prisoner? Whatever. It was comfortable enough the steady rise and fall of the carriage, and Lindorā€™s droning voice about noble behaviors Kaeda had to learn was only background noise, not grating on his ears. Ryenne was staring out the window, not wanting to interact with any of them once again. How meanā€¦ but Kaeda just gets the feeling that she doesnā€™t like nobles all that much.

ā€œLinnnnyy, how useful even is all of thisā€¦? Are people even going to notice or care if I use a dessert fork the wrong way?ā€ Kaeda sighed out, sinking in his chair. Heā€™s going to get yelled at to sit up straight, isn't he? ā€œDo all nobles even want me kissing their hands and all? Arenā€™t I the prince, so they have to suck up to me, not the other way around? How did you even memorize all this, Linny?ā€

ā€œI truly donā€™t know how important it is forā€¦ his highnessā€¦ to know all these behaviors. Itā€™s impossible to teach him and expect him to memorize all of this in such a short time too, you know. Only if her majesty gave us more time.ā€
Ryenne said, her passive-aggressive tone leeching back into her voice as she spoke her last words. Yes, he doesnā€™t need to know all of this! Heā€™s fine as he is! ā€œ...Still, though, heā€™ll need some guidance, or Iā€™ll get blamed for his own misdoingsā€¦ā€ Why was Ryenne talking about him like he was her rambunctious child?

ā€œThen what do you have to tell me thatā€™s so different, Ryry?ā€ Kaeda quipped, making sure to use the annoying nickname. Ryenne seemed like she wanted to ignore him but she forced herself to answer it.

ā€œHonestlyā€¦ I believe her majesty will have some story to tell about where and what you have been up to all these years. Sheā€™ll leave out the thieving part, obviously. I can see her just saying you lived in one of the poorer areas on your own without ever knowing who you really were. Itā€™s not lying, per se, just a ā€œcleanā€ version of what you have been up to. Will get some sympathy from all the other nobles, Iā€™d imagine. They probably canā€™t even fathom living in those conditions without knowing their extensive family history and thinking they are just a poor peasant.ā€ Ryenneā€¦ spoke with the same contempt in her voice as she usually did when discussing nobles, but it felt like this was hitting a lot more personal for her more than anything. He knew some places in Riressi were really run down- all thanks to Queen Orym, maybe thatā€™s where Ryenne was from? Then why was she serving nobles? Sheā€™s confusing more than anything.

ā€œAh, so they have to show a ā€œcleanā€ version of me, youā€™re sayingā€¦? Am I that awful of a person in reality that Orym has to make me sound better than what I really am like?ā€ Kaeda asked a question he already knew was going to create an immediate awkward, stifling air in the small carriage. His laugh that followed his question broke through the thick air quickly though. ā€œHahaha! Noā€¦ I get it. Nobles would get all scared if they heard I was a thief. Even if I only ever stole cool things.ā€ Ryenne relaxed her shoulders. Did his question make her that tense?

ā€œ...Yes. I feel like they wonā€™t be too forgiving people, letā€™s just say,ā€ Ryenne spoke her words carefully. Why was she scared to offend him?? Heā€™s a thief! Oh, wait, she sees him as a prince too, just like Lindor does. Heā€™s surprised she is believing Orym even though she doesnā€™t appear to have a high opinion of her beloved queen. ā€œSoā€¦ you will be able to be excused for any weird behavior at the ball because of course, you are not used to it. You appear to be friendly and talkativeā€¦ just appear as friendly as you can, and I think no one would bat an eye at you for any misdoings.ā€

ā€œOoookayyyyy! Iā€™ll be nice to all the nobles! Makes stealing from them easier!ā€
Kaeda laughed, but Ryenne didnā€™t find it too funny.

ā€œI cannot tell if you are joking or if youā€™re serious. But, please, try to refrain from thatā€¦ if you get caught, what do you suggest thatā€™ll you do?ā€

ā€œAct like itā€™s a party trick and give it back. They canā€™t get mad at me if I give it back, right?ā€
Kaeda spoke with the utmost confidence.

ā€œ...Youā€™re pretty confident for someone who just was facing the death penalty yesterday because you were arrested for stealing something.ā€ Oh. Right. But, that was just because he was accused of stealing something royal- oh, he gets her point now. Nobles may be a bit moreā€¦ aggressive in their punishment if he is caught. If he was caught. ā€œIā€™m not talking to you about this anymore. The best thing you can do really is just mimic the other nobles. Do what they do. Itā€™s a method I have employed- I believe to be useful. I feel like you will blend in at the ball perfectly fine if you just mimic the nobles who already know all of these expected behaviors.ā€ Kaeda nodded his head. It made sense to him!

ā€œHmmm, alrighty! Iā€™ll do that. But, uhm, what should I do about meeting Orym and the princessā€¦? Thatā€™s going to be something I need to be immediately ready for, rightā€¦ or Orym may like, execute me or something! So, uh, how are they both likeā€¦?ā€ Knowing how the enemy works is the first step in defeating them, right? Except this is supposed to be him meeting his long-lost half-sister. And he was supposed to impress her, not defeat her. Would be easier if he couldā€¦

Ryenne stayed silent for a good moment, thinking of what to say. ā€œHer majesty is, wellā€¦ confusing. It feels like she is just dragging along everyone else for whatever she has planned. I like to think that she is happy to have you around, but stillā€¦ I canā€™t help but feel annoyed that she is dragging you through this mess without any proper preparation beforehand. Her rule is always final, though. I am not in the position to complain, am Iā€¦ā€ Ryenne was trying to give her most unbiased view on Orym, as it was obvious from before that she tended to get a bitā€¦ annoyed at her. But huh, confusingā€¦ Kaeda really has to try to even grasp what her deal is and what she wants from him. ā€œHer highness, Elashor, is a typical princess. Assume what I mean by that. I hope she is accepting of you. Having a brother is definitely going to be a shock to her.ā€ Oh, Ryenne DEFINITELY had nothing nice to say about the princess based on that description of her. Ok, so spoiled rich girlā€¦ what a handful. Butā€¦ why was Ryenne even serving these people again? He couldnā€™t understand why in the world she was a guard of all things. Before he got to ask that, though, the carriage suddenly stopped. A quick glance out the window showed the bakery. Oh boy.

Lindor exited out quickly, and Ryenne ushered Kaeda to remain seated while she watched the situation through the window, pretty much telling him to ignore Lindorā€™s outstretched hand. Probably making sure nothing immediate was happening and that the princess was in a good mood. She seemed to be relieved at the mood of the princess, and got up, pushing Lindor out of the way slightly to exit out of the carriage. The minute Kaeda followed her out, he heard Elashor asking for him. Oh boy.

ā€œDonā€™t fuck this up, you,ā€ Ryenne whispered harshly into his ear, before moving away and letting Kaeda get a clear view of the princess who was standing in front of him. She must have been crying, he could see her tinted red eyes and face, not to mention the lack of makeup on her face. Must have tried to clean up beforehand to cover up the fact. Was she that upset at his very existenceā€¦? Ah, he shouldnā€™t just stare at her though! Was he supposed to kiss the hands of family membersā€¦??? No, right??? Heā€™ll justā€¦ smile at her! Thatā€™s sure to make her feel at ease. He relaxed his stiff posture and gave a small smile, not a grin. Had to be careful here, had to be carefulā€¦

ā€œ...Hello. Iā€™m happy I get to finally meet you. Iā€™ve been getting ready all morning just to see you, actually.ā€ Kaeda tried to keep his tone as even as possible.

ā€œItā€™sā€¦ nice to meet you too,ā€ Elashor responded, and awkwardness immediately followed suit. Ok, they said hello, can Kaeda leave now? They just stared at each other in silence for a few good moments before Kaeda began to feel nervous. Come on, why canā€™t he say anything nowā€¦? He justā€¦ canā€™t act like this girl is his sister when he knows sheā€™s not. He never really was good at lying, was heā€¦ the only lie he ever would say was the ā€œIā€™m an orphanā€ one. And that was to only help Nyrinn, not himā€¦ he is really just pretending to be a prince for his sake, isn't he? No, no, he canā€™t think that way. He is doing what he has to do, and just playing along for as long as he needs to. Butā€¦ his nervousness must show externally, with his sudden lack of talkativeness and usual energy. What is he even supposed to sayā€¦? He glanced over at both Lindor and Ryenne quickly before returning his attention to Elashor.

Pyre // Pastry shop, Kingdom of Moryen

Iā€™ve been getting ready all morning just to see you, actually.

Pyre's eyes met Ryenne's at that. She nodded, and mouthed a thank you that she knew would result in a huff or a pointed look away on the mercenary's part.

Thank goodness. She did quite the work on this Kaeda boy, more than was expected of her... the average boot-licking noble wouldn't blink twice before bending over backwards to do whatever he requested. The suit suited him perfectly and this new haircut changed him, to a degree that had Pyre wonder how Ryenne found someone in Moryen to perfect his appearance on such short notice. In truth, Pyre had tasked a maid to prepare an outfit for the boy and the jewelry to match the night before, after their little fight. Hell, there were two other maids and a noble tasked with training Kaeda in all things royalty back there, whom she knew where running like headless chickens wondering how they could ever make it up to the terrifying Queen Orym. Thinking the long-lost Prince was kidnapped, or abandoned his duty overnight, or even assassinated. Perhaps they even gossiped that Ryenne could be responsible for such a thing.

Either way, Pyre had prepared everything necessary in advance. She wasn't as stupid, nor as entitled, as Orym would have been. Orym saw herself as some godly figure whom no one would dare double-cross, meaning she expected inhumane things from her employees without any rebellion. But Pyre knew that if you didn't treat a mercenary with honesty and earned some amount of loyalty, your head would end up on a spike in-front of your gorgeous mansion. She used to cheer and laugh, chugging homemade ale, when thieves and merchants told her it happened to some foreign royal or noble too high up the social ladder. Good riddance! But now it was a real possibility and she did not want to offend someone with nothing to lose and everything to gain. She knew for a fact that Ryenne was that type, that she would do whatever benefited her and her people and cut her losses the soonest she could, because Pyre herself used to be that type of person... before ending up like this. She still, deep-down, was that type of person, although she went further than the rest of them ever dared to go.

She did not want to end up like those assassinated royals and nobles from overseas. That's why she wouldn't send off someone she hired without honoring a deal and making that deal as easy to accomplish as possible. That's why she lined up everything needed before Kaeda's big day. Something Ryenne would have known and benefited from, had she stayed at the inn for breakfast. Instead of rushing off to who knows where out of spite. What a stubborn woman, she thought to herself, eyeing Ryenne. Still, she was grateful they both made it here in one piece. The thank you was genuine.

The silence between the Princess and the Prince-to-be stretched on and on.

Pyre wanted to interrupt verbally, but the tension made her throat clench up. Instead, she made a somewhat pleased noise, and walked on over to Kaeda, offering an elbow. The boy, a bit dumbfounded at the whole situation (unsurprising) linked his arm to hers as she brought him next to Elashor and gave her a meaningful look. Hopefully one that communicated don't screw this up for us and pressured politeness and maturity. From what she could tell, Elashor was in shock enough to behave herself for now.

"Not bad," the Princess' squeaky voice came, as she gathered herself and circled Kaeda. "He might, and I do say might, be DĆ¹ghall worthy after all."

"Be nice, Elashor,"
Pyre warned. The same chiding tone she used when a coyote came too close to her camp, considering taking a bite out of her. She crossed her arms, somehow still in a lady-like manner. Each day spent in her company made Pyre's temper shorter and shorter.

Elashor's hand brushed a hard to miss symbol itched onto the lapel of Kaeda's suit. "Oooh, Ae Tailoring! I've heard of that shop. Mother, didn't I mention wanting to go? Not that you let me visit this city yet outside of... this, anyway." She eyed the beautifully made chairs with an air of disdain, as if it was made of garbage and dirt. Was anything good enough for her? Her nose was so far up in the air, Pyre's magic itched to put a spell on it.

Still, Elashor's comment brought up a question. Pyre had never bothered to memorize any fancy shmancy stores in Moryen. How did Ryenne ā”€ a foreign low-class, who surely only stepped in Moryen for an hour or two at a time for other missions ā”€ even find intel on where to get royalty-grade clothing and haircare in such a large city? How did she even make it through the door with her sour face and brute way of doing things? The noble tailors would've smelled trouble within minutes and thrown her out. Thrown them both out. She would question her later on that, if she even managed to make it through another conversation without Ryenne yelling or slamming doors. Having a mercenary was useful, but talking to her was excruciating. Not that Pyre was particularly good at talking to begin with.

"Brother." Elashor's voice betrayed some emotion. She had been an only child up until that point, after all. "Where did they even find you?"

Kaeda seemed to fumble at that, and Pyre's cheeks flushed a bit at that too. "He was an orphan, turned vagabond merchant, until I found him. Kaeda has a knack for finding... exceptionally rare items, and would resell them at a fine price to foreign nobility." As far off as that was, Pyre knew she needed to add some level of high-class flair to this story if Elashor was to let Kaeda go unscathed from this encounter. And, anyway, it'd explain any strange objects Kaeda swiped at the Ball and his mischievous predisposition. Merchants were often theatrical and flamboyant, which would smooth over any buffoonery on Kaeda's part. "He was visiting the good Kingdom of Moryen when I caught wind of his presence here."

"Oh!"
Elashor nodded at that. "So that's why you insisted on coming here, when usually you'd drag your feet or send someone else to accompany me. You always say the King is an ally but not someone to have wine with. Moryen was too rustic for you. For a moment I thought you had a change of heart!"

Fear rose up Pyre's throat... how was she to respond to that?

To be truthful she had no clue how Queen Orym typically behaved or whom she liked or disliked. Damned woman! Things would have been much simpler if Orym had no children, then nothing in Riressi would be threatened by moronic Moryen Princes or plotting Kings. Had there been any way to know Orym's likes and dislikes any better? She had already thrown herself at diary entries (most of them horrific) and books and pieces of parchments thrown across her bedroom and the royal library, and even snuck into the maids' rooms to see if they had any notes or overhear gossip about Orym... anything to not be executed for treason after doing some unforgivable, cover-blowing faux pas. She always felt two steps away from ending up in a dungeon, with Riressi in worse shape than it was before.

Pyre felt all eyes on her, awaiting her response to her child's comments. She needed to escapeā”€ no, she needed to say yes to Elashor, to laugh a Queen's laugh, to talk badly but not too badly of the King's drinking habits, to explain why this year was so different, Elashor was already giving her the perfect excuse and already assuming, why couldn't she justā”€

She felt a gentle hand on her elbow and turned around sharply, trying not to snarl, magic swirling in her lungs as her throat closed up from anxiety. "Don't," she yelped, not thinking straight. It was simply the Sindri boy, who removed his hand as fast as he put it.

"Forgive me, your Majesty. You looked rather ill, like you did the other night. I thought of bringing you a handkerchief." Despite the politeness in his voice his eyes were hardened from the encounter. Ah, there's that look. Yes, I'm the big bad Queen. Evilness is contagious, so do not touch me, do not look at me, she thought, the anxiety attack swirling her thoughts into misery. I can hardly breathe. Why am I even going through with this plan? I could send them all in purple smoke to some remote country. Say they were abducted. Move on as a Queen living alone. Die alone. Oh god, won't anybody leave me alone?

She took the handkerchief from his hand, and dabbed her forehead as she saw royalty do. "This must have made me sick," she said, pointing to the half-eaten pastry on her plate, where she sat for hours with Elashor as she whined and yelled. "Yes, daughter, it was all for your brother's sake. For your sake."

"You have been ill once before on this trip? Mother,"
her tone grew offended, as if Pyre had slighted her. "We should get you in bed at the inn. The Ball isn't for four more hours, and there is another week of festivities and moving about after tonight..."

"No, no, don't be ridiculous."
As much as she would enjoy that, she needed Elashor and Kaeda to solidify their siblinghood.

"It's like father always said, isn't it?" Elashor left a long pause, waiting for Pyre to fill it.

Saying anything would incriminate her. Silence would incriminate her. She had feared Kaeda and Ryenne and perhaps the Sindri to blow her cover, whom knew royalty behaviors more than anyone thanks to his long lineage of idiots in armor drooling after royalty, but Elashor... Elashor was a main threat. Elashor knew Orym. Perhaps more than Pyre expected, as from outward appearances and rumors Orym was too cold-hearted to loosen up her ice queen performance or pay her daughter much attention besides rules and public appearances. Maybe they used to be closer, before the King died or Elashor grew up?

It only made Pyre more ill.

She thought strategically about her next words but made herself speak them fast, as letting another panicked silence happen would raise suspicions. "Elashor, let's share those moments, and that wisdom, with your brother. He never got to grew with him, did he?"

Elashor smiled with disturbing tenderness. Ah, eureka! Of course bonding over a shared parent would do the trick.

"Oh, right. How foolish of me... come, brother, let us talk about father. I so rarely get to speak of him." she tended her arm, which Kaeda took hesitantly. Seemingly in a pink cloud, the Princess guided him to the table. A waiter rushed to clean it seconds before they both sat, a struggle that Elashor paid no mind, much too used to people bending over backwards for her at a moment's notice. "Perhaps we can go visit the Festival together before the Ball starts! With a few of my noble friends, of course. They take care of everything." If by friends she meant unpaid servants, then sure, her friends could accompany them. Ryenne would go with them, of course, to ensure one or both of them didn't run off. Pyre had another item or two on her checklist to work on tonight. Although from the look on Kaeda's face there were many other places he'd prefer being a few hours before his big show.

The pseudo-siblings grew deep in conversation within moments. Leaving Pyre, the Sindri, and Ryenne to hover away from them, near the carriage.

In uncomfortable silence.

"Ahem," the boy coughed. "If my services are no longer required, ma'am... my duties await me." He looked between Pyre and Ryenne like a puppy asking to be let outside. "The Ball is a rather busy day." He didn't smile the way he typically would, betraying his annoyance. Not that Pyre cared.

"Of course, guard. Better get going, then, if you are to make it in time."

Pyre didn't bother glancing at him as he bowed, and in moments he was gone.

"Ryenne." She nodded something of a greeting. "You got the boy prepared perfectly," she added, as they both looked at the duo. She couldn't help explaining herself, although she expected no courtesy back from it. "I didn't mean for you to be running all over town for this without guidance. I hadn't considered you skipping breakfast, so the note I left didn't reach you. The maids who had the boy's clothes and the nobles there to train him where told not to disturb you until after breakfast, as I thought you may be... in a sour mood, after last night." She looked away at that.

Despite how awkward things could get between her and Ryenne, Pyre's breathing was evening out and the anxiety lowering as she realized this part of her plan, at least, was dealt with. She didn't need to worry as much about Kaeda and Elashor biting each-other's heads off.

"I will be going to visit the Moryen library as well as an old friend of mine. If you like, you can accompany the young Prince and Elashor to the Festival. Or refuse them and bring them both back to the Inn for an easier evening, where the maids can play babysitter instead. This year musicians, bards, and jesters from all over the world are going to the Inn before the Ball to entertain the nobility... something even my daughter would be intrigued by. As long as my son doesn't steal something ungodly expensive and irreplaceable."
She gave a weak smirk at that.

She might always be two minutes away from a complete freak-out while living inside this body, and maybe she had no one to even share grievances with the way she could with fellow witches passing by or lowly thieves bargaining with her, sharing a common royal enemy... but at least things were happening one after another in the order she meant them to be without too much trouble.

She would save Riressi or die trying.

Last edited:
Ryenne // Cafe, Kingdom Of Moryen

Well, the fact that the princess wasnā€™t attempting to murder Kaeda currently has Ryenne marking this interaction between them as ā€œgoodā€. Still, Kaedaā€™s ā€œplease do something so I donā€™t have to talk to her anymoreā€ glance over at her and Lindor showed that Kaeda was not at all confident to interact with her any more than he did already. Ryenne wishes it was that easy. Out of guilt of not knowing how to help, she broke eye contact with him, her gaze trying to find anything else to pay attention to.

Her gaze fell quickly onto Orym, who was moving in to rescue Kaeda immediately. Ryenne almost wanted to let out a sigh of relief seeing that Orym was not sneering in disgust at her son, but deemed him acceptable enough to link his arm with hers. Ryenne had to admit she was happier that her ass was covered by Kaeda looking good than Kaeda and the princess being all buddy-buddy. She was sure that due to the maidā€™s outburst back at the inn, Orym had a much differentā€¦ plan in mind for dealing with Kaeda. Sheā€™s probably stumped right now as on how Ryenne even managed to pull this off, getting a suit from a fancy tailor (if she was judging by Elashorā€™s reaction, that place seemed pretty well-liked by her, and she was impossible to please), and having Kaeda not look like some prisoner they just fished out together yesterday. Lindor did most of the work, but it was simply teamwork that Ryenne utilized. If she canā€™t figure it out on her own, as much as she canā€™t stand doing it, sheā€™ll seek out help. And there was definitely nothing she was able to do without Lindor around that actuallyā€¦ knows about these things. Ryenne needs to find a way to thank him later, even though his bootlicking ass truly doesnā€™t deserve it.

Ryenne wondered what Orym had truly intended for her course of action to be. Sure, she could have been an obedient little guard who stuck around and followed her majestyā€™s orders to a T to get Kaeda ready, but Ryenne would rather die than let a royal order her around more than necessary. She was doing this out of pure necessity, not out of the goodness of her heart to help out Orym withā€¦ whatever the hell she is planning. But stillā€¦ Ryenne had to wonder if she did stick around and used whatever Orym would have provided her if it would have helped any. She had to admit that she was just being stubborn and annoying, running off before Orym could bark more orders at her, but it wasnā€™t particularly Orym that was the reason she was behaving this way. Nobles sure loved to provide ā€œhelpā€ in completing the task at hand that was completely fucking useless. If they wanted it done right, they should just let Ryenne do her own thing instead of offering her help that would be useless when push came to shove. All they could do was be honest about what the hell they actually wanted. Let Ryenne actually know theyā€™re sending her off to cover their affairs that would ruin them socially instead of acting like theyā€™re pure, innocent people who just need help from this swcary poor mercenary because they have no one else to turn to. Ryenne knows Orym is already hiding her true intentions. She can try to help in any way she wants, but Ryenne cannot look past the fact that the woman is a walking lie right now.

Speaking of lies, the story that Orym had weaved together seemed to be a good one. How shocking that sheā€™s good at lying out of her ass. It may be able to explain Kaedaā€™sā€¦ eyeā€¦ for ā€œshiny thingsā€, as he puts it. Kaeda seemed absolutely confused at what the princess was talking about, evident by his ā€œfake smile to pretend Iā€™m listeningā€ expression that Ryenne had utilized many times before. Orym seemed confused tooā€¦ huh? Why is she confused? It makes sense for Kaeda to be, but not Orym, who is supposed to be the one who always says this, according to the princess. She looked like Elashor had said something she had never heard before either.

Ryenne felt confused seeing her confusion, her current annoyed headache only growing more in strength. She thought for a second to maybe actually swoop in and help her out here- with whatever it is she is struggling with, even to do- but both her body and her conscience wouldnā€™t allow her to help whatsoever. Thankfully, Lindor offered help almost immediately- he really lives up to his family name, doesn't he?- but Ryenne still felt utter confusion. Was Orym THIS useless? How has she remained in power for so long and earned a reputation like hers if she has a total freak out over things like this? Ryenneā€¦ couldnā€™t make sense of it all. Maybe she had too much of her own idea of what Orym should be still affecting her view of her rather than how Orym really is, but each interaction Ryenne witnesses from this woman is such a contradiction to how sheā€™s ā€œsupposedā€ to be. Maybe Ryenne is being too judgementalā€¦? Ryenne shook her head at the thought of being too judgemental to someone like Orym. She deserves every strict judgment that comes her way.

Seeing Kaeda get dragged away by the princess and go off in their own conversation- a festival too? How much partying do Moryen people do?- caused Ryenne to relax and loosen up her tense body. She was more nervous than she realized with this, not to mention her stressing out over Orym and her weird behaviors. The minute she saw Orym and Lindor drifting back towards the carriage she followed suit, wanting to get away from the main stressor that is Kaeda and the princess getting along or not.

Obviously, Lindor wants to leave now immediately. Ryenne honestly canā€™t blame him, guilt running through her once again to burden Lindor with all her problems- although his bootlicking ass probably enjoyed doing things that are burdensome to others but ā€œfunā€ to him. Ryenne opened her mouth to go and give him a quick thank you- itā€™s only polite- but he was gone the second Orym waved him off. Ryenne huffed out. The one time she wants to be nice and polite, especially to a guard of all people, they disappear before she gets a chance to! Ryenne made a mental note to thank him later somehow- possibly at the ball- before her attention was grabbed by Orym barking out her name. What does she want her to do nowā€¦ Ryenne looked over at Orym, a bored look on her face.

ā€œHuh? Oh, I already figured. We all went back to the inn at first and a maidā€¦ informed me "politelyā€ of where you were, so I was able to infer from that that you had more things planned than I realized.ā€ Ryenne sighed out, nonchalant about the whole thing. ā€œI woke up early. There were things to do. As you can see, I got those things done, in my own way. I did not require your assistance.ā€ Ryenne was really trying to not point out that any of Orymā€™s help would have been useless because she sure loves acting useless herself. Sheā€™llā€¦ pretend to be polite. ā€œSorry. And whoā€™s fault is that I was in a shitty mood- never mind. I assumed you would be in a mood too, after all. That you wanted to spite me by not offering help because I raised my voice at you.ā€ Ryenne kept her voice as polite as possible, but the fact that Orym is obviously hiding something from her had made her also assume that she wasnā€™t going to let her know about this plan too was something Ryenne left out in her explanation.

ā€œWhatever, though.ā€ Ryenne waved her hand, dismissing the topic. ā€œI need to go babysit them around again? I assume her highness will not enjoy being shuttled back to the inn, so I think the festival is the only option I have here. Kaeda I see wanting to go too. Probably for the better. Exposure to more nobles before the ball and how they act.ā€ Ryenne thought out loud, weighing her options. ā€œKaeda is absolutely harmless. Heā€™s the most harmless thief I ever witnessed in my life. I doubt that he would go after anything pricey. And hopefully, her highness judging him like a hawk stalking prey will deter him from wanting to nab anything.ā€ Ryenne would mention that his stealing impulse got sedated earlier, but telling Orym that her son stole 4 pairs of earrings on the way here may be a bit upsetting to hear.

Ryenne felt her confusion ebb back into the forefront of her mind. She had to ask her this, didn't she, or sheā€™s going to be wondering about it for the rest of the day. ā€œYour majestyā€¦ are youā€¦ ok? Your reaction during their meeting was concerning, you know. Especially considering that it was going wellā€¦ Iā€™m just a bitā€¦ concerned. Thatā€™s all. I would appreciate someā€¦ honesty, please. It will be beneficial to both of us and avoid confusion like this morning to happen once again.ā€ Ryenne was laying it on thick, wasn't she? She had to be clear that she didnā€™t appreciate Orymā€™s dishonesty and hiding of her intentions, or it would continue on forever. Doesn't she deserve to know, too? Or is she not human enough in Orym eyes for her to be honest with her? Ryenne had an expectant look on her face.

Pyre // Cafe, Kingdom of Moryen

A part of her wanted to laugh at Ryenne's twisted expectations. As if she hadn't had her fair share of people yelling at her and being crude to her. Hell, usually she was the yelling one, the crude one. She was in no position to bite back, with magic or otherwise. She didn't even want to. It was inoffensive enough.

"To spite you?" Pyre hummed, nodding. "I understand why you would think so. But I didn't hire a mercenary to be a servant, Ryenne. I hired you to get my plans to work however you see fit. I hired you because you are street smart and will tell me things how they are, as if I weren't a Queen. I know you're only here for money and for your people's well-being. I don't want false politeness or anything sugar-coated."

Are you... ok? Ryenne's words took her aback and she gave a deer-in-the-headlights look that she couldn't conceal.

Screw this weak attempt at concern. I must not be Evil Queen enough to ward off her empathy... how humiliating. Could no one leave her alone? More importantly, why did she keep betraying herself and making others take notice in situations that should be so straight-forward?

She took a deep breath. "Oh. Right." Pyre's cheeks turned red and she turned her head slightly in a weak attempt to hide it. She hated speaking of it. It was the one thing that no spell, no potion, could ever fix in her, however she tried and whoever she asked. She grew to see it as a curse, but cutting herself from general society solved most of her anxiety and made it a non-issue for most of her life. She could turn it into productivity by getting jobs done as a hermit witch, and turn people away with a quick swirl of her fingers or a particularly disgusted stare. She spent hours improving her magic and getting gold for her work. She did whatever they wanted her to do, and retreated once more. Never spent more than an hour or two in someone's presence, and that was already pushing her limits.

Now? She was surrounded. Even worse, she had to hide her magic. Her usual scars were now invisible and she was wearing a face that was never hers. She was around people who saw her as a sheltered high-class lady and was either despised or adored for it. These extremes for people made her stomach swirl with unease. She wanted to fly under the radar as a nasty witch with a bad personality, be disliked but never intensely enough to lead to conflict. She didn't want these opinionated people to be all up in her business, nor to care for what people under her care did or didn't do, as she now needed to with Elashor and that Kaeda boy. Ryenne had no clue what a big can of worms she was attempting to open, and Pyre couldn't reveal too many secrets too quickly. Queen Orym was known to be cold-hearted but loud-mouthed. Smug yet reserved. There was very little idle gossip about her, partly out of fear of heads getting chopped and partly because she simply didn't leave many secrets to be discovered. Pyre didn't know if her letting "weakness" show ā”€ god, anything was a weakness to royalty, wasn't it? Were they made of stone? ā”€ would tempt Ryenne to take advantage of it, or betray her with it. As noble as Ryenne's reasons seemed to be for being a mercenary, and as down-to-earth as she had been thus far in her mission, a royal could never be sure who to trust.

Despite that... it was now too obvious to play off as just fatigue from the day's events. Pyre's body and brain constantly betrayed her. Of course Ryenne had noticed. Perhaps it would be for the best to give a short explanation, before the hot-headed mercenary grew in frustration. That would be a recipe for disaster.

"Don't tell my daughter," she glanced at Elashor, "but my body doesn't handle things the way it used to. Especially so far from home." She wrung her hands together a tad too clumsily, but it was hard not to let her guard down after a long day of pretending. "Talking to people or being in a crowd for too long makes me physically sick. No doctor or witch can explain it. Ironic, isn't it? You can laugh, go ahead." She shook her head at herself, and turned around to tidy up the carriage before she sat in it, waving off a maid who attempted to step in. "I know I would if the roles were reversed." She opened her mouth to give more details, but chose against it. This is just some girl who hates her guts, and if she won't be able to turn Ryenne into a toad if she mocked her or used the information to give her trouble. It was better to leave it as that. "I can still function well enough, and let you do things I cannot. It also means you won't get a fight with me if you're looking for one. If you have a fit at something I do or say, you'll still get paid. If we bite each-other's head off, so be it. I. Do. Not. Care. But I trust that you get enough out of this for your people to help my son Kaeda and make my plans succeed." She maintained eye-contact, more intensely than she usually would.

Silence hung between the two. A Prince crossed the street not too far from them, and a trail of nobles followed him around. Pyre watched as a man placed his own coat over a puddle to save His Highness the trouble of swerving around it. A woman was dabbing a cloth on his temple, and another was putting cherries in the Prince's mouth as he walked leisurely. A carriage bypassed them and a splash of water touched the Prince's shoes. Glancing down as the woman was putting a cherry in his mouth, he slightly choked, and the whole affair turned into a very public, very embarrassing toddler meltdown. A merchant even slowed down on the way to the festival to offer him free pastries to soothe his heartache. A Queen, presumably his mother, came out of a store and started berating everyone for ruining his shoes.

Pyre couldn't hide the disgust on her face. It became too much not to complain about.

"I hate this place, I hate these people, and I'd rather spend the whole thing in my room with no maid or noble at my beck and call. Once Kaeda inherits the throne, perhaps I should fake my own death and move to a Kingdom overseas." She stared as more royals and nobles humiliated themselves in the most arrogant way in the streets surrounding the cafe. Realizing what she said, she fumbled and gave a nervous laugh. God, she needs to be more careful before she ends up in the guillotine, or worse. "Merely joking. I'd never abandon my Kingdom. Still, daydreaming is a harmless medicine."

At this the butler who had driven Ryenne, Kaeda, and Lindor jogged towards them, interrupting with a cough and bow ā”€ an odd combination ā”€ after finishing readying the horses for the ride back to the Inn. The maid next to him glared at him and pulled at his waistcoat in outrage, as maybe coughing to catch a royal's attention was impolite, or something or other... it was all beyond Pyre. She did not care. "Your Majesty, a note for you from the... person you are meeting." His eyes looked Ryenne up and down for a moment, judging she was not fit to know who it was or what it was about. What a predictable snob. This time, however, he was right to keep it private.

"Hmm..." She grabbed the note and read it.

If it is you, prove it.
Bring me the usual. Meet at 2 o'clock.
Any mistakes and I sell you to the highest bidder.

- Immeril

A huff escaped her. She crumpled the paper and gave it back. The butler stuffed it into his pocket, and nodded as he climbed back to his post. She could feel Ryenne's curiosity, and usual annoyance, but did not have time to indulge her. She needed to get this thing over with before the Ball.

"Let us go soon, then," she gestured faintly at the maid, who went to Kaeda and Elashor and announced Pyre's departure. Elashor was in deep gossip, talking about some high-class members of society who did this and that in Moryen. Poor Kaeda. And poor maid, who didn't dare interrupt. It left Pyre and Ryenne a few more minutes to conclude their discussion before they went their own way once more. If Ryenne said anything else that put her on the spot, she could use leaving as an excuse and make an abrupt exit. The... person, or perhaps being, she was meeting would cause her enough trouble as it is. Still, it could be a great opportunity for her in this body, one that she simply couldn't miss out on.

Last edited:
Ryenne // Kingdom of Moryen

Ryenne did not enjoy how her words seemed to not even be registered by Orym. Despite saying she understands why she would act like that, Ryenne didnā€™t believe it for even a second that she wasnā€™t planning something but now was acting smug and sly as if she has always expected that. This woman was used to the noble social sphere, was she not? She knew how to play a social situation to her advantage. Ryenne had to be on her toes at all times talking to her, never taking anything at face value. Can one blame her for not believing that this is the reason why Orym hired her? That she was street smart and disrespected her all the time? Give her a break.

ā€¦Her attempts at actually expressing concern for Orym seemed to hit Orym a lot more, though. Did the woman believe her obvious emotions couldnā€™t be noticed by other people? How could she not? Yet, she seemed shocked that Ryenne even had the gall to ask if she was ok. Maybe it was her actually showing concern for the awful woman to be surprising, but Ryenne suddenly felt like she asked something she shouldnā€™t have had. Butā€¦ she was in this whole plan too. She deserved to understand what her employer was feeling, in order to actually be able to work for her. How was she supposed to work for someone who hid her emotions away from her? As confusing as those emotions may be. Ryenne felt like she was stranded on a makeshift raft at sea when trying to decipher this woman. She kept her gaze on Orym, a stoic expression on her face, trying not to reveal what she was thinking of in her mind. At least it appeared that Orym was actually going to explain herself when she finally seemed to get the words together to explain this.

ā€œDonā€™t tell my daughterā€, she saysā€¦ if I can notice it, that demon definitely can tooā€¦ Ryenne thought to herself the moment the words came out of Orymā€™s mouth, but not daring to mention that to her. Butā€¦ she has agoraphobia? The queen? That is certainly how she sounded to her in her explanation of getting sick when she talks to crowdsā€¦ but how has she survived so long with an affliction like that? Especially one that has no explanation on how it came to beā€¦ perhaps this woman was just always acting as a figurehead. Ryenne decided that she had no time to figure that one out when Orym decided to accuse her of finding it funny. Confusing? Yes. Funny? No. Ryenne felt a flash of annoyance run through her at her comment, yet the woman only continued on before she was able to say anything. Now she was accusing Ryenne of just wanting to start a fight with her? All she was trying to do was knock some common sense into this woman who acts like she is above nobles despite being one. Their conversation from last night replayed in Ryenneā€™s mind, and her anger from that reawakened once again. She was not fighting with a woman like this, a fight would require the other party to actually have something to argue over. All Orym said was nonsense and ignored Ryenne when she pointed out what she was saying was complete shit. Is that why she is ignoring her, because she wonā€™t let her ā€œpick a fight with herā€, in her own words? Can the woman actually just be honest with her?

ā€œDonā€™t say I will laugh at you. Unlike you, I do not find something like that funny whatsoever.ā€ Ryenne barked out, her annoyance tipping over. ā€œI would appreciate it if you also didnā€™t act like Iā€™m someone who wants to argue with you. I am just making it clear what I think. Apologies that you donā€™t like that, your dear majesty, but you should be happy you have someone that's honest with you. If only you returned the favor, hm?ā€ Ryenne had a little more honesty to show to Orym, but Orym looked like she wasnā€™t even paying attention.

Looking at where she was gazing, Ryenne saw a childish display of nobility. It seemed like something someone would come up with to make fun of nobility, not actually how they act like, but seeing the temper tantrums the finely-dressed nobleman was wearing over a drop of water getting on his shoes was definitely not acting. Ryenne just had to roll her eyes at the scene, noting it as just a typical occurrence with these nobles when they visit other countries. Even the slightest uneven seam on your suit jacket can cause shame upon your entire country. It is not wise to poke the beast that is Moryen by not appealing to all their ridiculously high standards.

Ryenne shot Orym a glare with her ā€œjokeā€ about abandoning her kingdom. Does she have no shame? Sheā€™s the person with the most power in the entire country, but she flippantly says she would want to leave all her people in the hands of a kleptomaniac thief prince so she doesnā€™t have to deal with all the rules her ilk made up in the first place. Andā€¦ what good is she doing for Riressi whatsoever? ā€œYou realized you already abandoned Riressi, right? Half of the people you are supposed to be protecting are suffering because of you, and you can stop that at any time, but you wonā€™t. All your loyal ā€œfriendsā€ would assassinate you the minute you try to take away a fraction of their power that you gave them to win them over. You care about yourself more than anything. Donā€™t give me this bullshit.ā€ Ryenne really wishes she could swing her sword at something Orym-shaped right now. Perhaps she would have to settle for the real thing at this point. How can she just allow Orym to say something like that? Cyne is suffering because of her actions, but she says she would ā€œnever abandon her kingdomā€? Ryenne felt a wave of almost destructive anger overtaking her, hatred towards this woman peaked.

Another maid, another distraction. This time in the form of a letter. Ryenne would love to peer over to see what sheā€™s reading, but she already knows she is not going to be able to even attempt to do that. So all Ryenne did was maintain her glare on Orym, her anger at her radiating out of every limb of her body, palpable in the air as it lingered.

~~~

Kaeda /// Cafe, Kingdom of Moryen

ā€¦This Elashor girl was never going to shut up.

Kaeda swung his feet back and forth as he sat in the small cafe chair, comfortable but feeling like a cage as he was forced to listen to more and more garbage he did not care about from Elashor. Elashor was chatting away about who knows what- royal things in general, he assumes, he stopped paying attention a minute into their conversation. Kaeda was a master at pretending to listen to people though at this point. Worked when he got interrogated, works with bratty princesses. How useful! He gave a patient smile as he looked at Elashor, looking right through her, but she was none the wiser.

ā€œBrother, have you ever attended the festival, actually?ā€ Elashor questioned him, sipping the tea that she had bought for both of them, but only she was drinking it, really. Kaeda had to watch her own mannerisms in how she drank in order to make sure heā€¦ drank tea correctly. Strange thing to be worried about, but he had to now do so.

ā€œHmm? The festival? Yes, I have, before.ā€ Kaeda started, reminiscing on how he would hit up the nobles there instead of the ball itself as they were a lot less on guard. But, he was playing the role of a past vagabond merchant now, not a vagabond thief, he had to remember. Merchants are so boring though! Couldn't the queen come up with a better cover for him to use? Something cool or whatever? ā€œI would come to sell wares I picked up, though, not come as an attendee, hehe.ā€ That was not funny. Why is he laughing?

Elashor seemed to find that quite humorous though if her giggle indicated anything. ā€œYes, you will definitely have a different experience this time around, hmmm? Much better, for a matter of fact! I canā€™t imagine how your life was like beforeā€¦ It must have been unbearable!ā€ Oh, she finds it funny because she thought Kaedaā€™s life was shit before becoming a prince or whatever. Kaeda couldnā€™t laugh along with her if that was the case. It was common, yes, this assumption that he was living an awful life as a thief, but it was one where he enjoyed himself. Isnā€™t that all that matters, that heā€™s happy? Yet people act like he must be a miserable thing that needs ā€œhelpā€. Itā€™s goddamn annoying. But, Elashor was different as she was saying his life was shit only because he wasnā€™t a noble! Thatā€™s something new.

ā€œAhahaā€¦ I will enjoy myself there at the festival then, right? You said some of your friends were coming?ā€ Kaeda gave a fake laugh and tried to move along this conversation before his fake laughing would get noticed for what it is.

ā€œYes, they are my dear friends, I always go to the festival with them.ā€ Elashor hummed, giving Kaeda an assessing look. ā€œYou might need to be careful over Liira though, she will have no shame and still go after her best friendā€™s brother, I believeā€¦ā€ Elashor almost sounded annoyed at someone she was calling her ā€œbest friendā€. Probably a noble who goes after those higher in the social ladder to get ahead. Kaeda isnā€™t that surprised, but he still acted bashful at Elashorā€™s comment to seemā€¦ humble. Even though Liira would be extremely disappointed if she knew the actual truth. Kaeda had never overthought his words until now.

ā€œHeh. Iā€™ll be careful, you donā€™t need to worry about me.ā€
Kaeda smiled, and Elashor seemed to find humor in his words again.

ā€œShe at least doesn't interfere with me and Finwe. I wouldnā€™t forgive her for that one.ā€ Elashor grinned, a smug look playing on her face. Kaeda can sense she feels like she andā€¦ the Moryen prince, rightā€¦ that who Finwe isā€¦ are destined to be with one another. Soulmates, star-crossed lovers, fated, whatever. Ugh, it was kinda annoying seeing how much she pined for the princeā€™s attention even in the short time they have talked to one another. She was really confident in her prince-seducing abilities or whateverā€¦ Kaeda was wondering if he should steal something from him to give to Elashor to win her over.

A maid rushed over to them to inform them that Orym was about to leave for a meeting with a friend soon. Did this woman not want to spend time with her supposed long lost son or not? Kaeda wasnā€™t impressed. Itā€™s not like he had much time before he felt Elashor dragging him by the arm again out of his seat.

Pyre // Cafe, Kingdom of Moryen

What a stubborn woman, that Ryenne. Couldn't they have a decent conversation for once? Simple, easy?

She was talking of honesty barely a few days into the job, expecting a queen to reveal herself fully.

Pyre took a deep breath. "Honesty is earned... you are a very recent hire, Ryenne. Backstabbers are the norm in my social circle as you said it yourself. I cannot afford to show all my cards yet." She heard Orym's daughter's voice rise and fall, peppered by loud laughter. There was a twinkle in Elashor's eye that betrayed she was still on the fence about Kaeda and testing out his boundaries and his opinions on things. What a snake. "I know you don't argue for the sake of arguing. But it isn't too far-fetched to expect you to snap at one point or another, to argue or to fight, when you were morally forced to come here." Pyre knew she would do the same in her position, and had many times before ā”€ she lost count of the number of times she cast a petty spell or spat at the shoes of some royal or noble who came to seek her aid. "And I want you to know that if you do... it won't result in the termination of your contract. Your people will be paid and fed and cared for."

She already could see the fire in Ryenne's eyes, ready to snap back at her.

She felt unbothered until one sentence: you already abandoned Riressi. Something in her grew strangely frustrated at it. Even angry.

Still, she couldn't let herself snap and pout and yell the way Ryenne could. Pyre didn't have the luxury of acting out of character or things could fall apart very quickly. "The throne is a curse inherited by my late husband. I will be out of it as soon as my heir is ready to inherit it." Her cheeks reddened and her breathing grew short, and as usual, she reacted to her own anger by wanting to throw a spell and run away. Her eyes flickered to Elashor and Kaeda's seat, and she watched as the maid finally got a word in. "If that makes me an evil queen, so be it."

Her anger wasn't on behalf of Queen Orym, who she impersonated. It was anger at hearing words she had been telling herself for weeks. That she would always abandon Riressi in the end. That she was only a miserable witch, thrown to the wolves. That she never could do anything that mattered.

She forced herself to see the irony of the situation: Ryenne had no clue who Pyre was or what she was doing. This was a woman fuming at the wrong person for the wrong reasons. She would make the most hilariously confused face if she knew who this "Queen Orym" was.

Why did she care what some mercenary thought of her? She was kept in the dark, after all. She was just a pawn in all of this. A very well paid pawn.

"Mother, brother and I had the most enlightening talk."

Despite being two-faced in everything she did, one couldn't fake the curiosity in Elashor's eyes as she looked at Kaeda once more. Despite everything, it must be overwhelming to see one's sibling for the first time. What a shame it's all a lie, Pyre thought with very little pity in her heart for the girl.

"Wonderful. Now, why don't you two join your guard and go to the festival?"

"You will join us, won't you? We rarely get to have light-hearted fun. Riressi is so grim and dull these days."

"Perhaps later. I have some errands to run, errands I can only do in Moryen."
She smiled what was meant to be a comforting smile.

Elashor rolled her eyes, let out a dramatic sigh and took Kaeda's arm to guide him away again. She was too distracted to play detective with her mother's errands.

As Ryenne turned to join them and a servant ran to open the carriage door, Pyre rose a hand to add a last comment.

"Thank you for this, Ryenne. I will tell you more as soon as I possibly can. There is a lot at stake."

With this last mystery, Pyre climbed into the carriage ā”€ ignoring the offered hand of the servant ā”€ and closed her eyes shut as the horses dragged the carriage away. Her stomach churned and her palms were damp.

Things felt too uncertain to rest her achy head as the carriage moved to the next location. Too few days passed to feel secure in her new body and her new mission. She was still clumsy and unsure and made too many minor mistakes. She needed to get her head in order before the ball.

She needed the advice of an old frenemy.

Lindor // Ball Hall, Kingdom of Moryen

His shift had been a whirlwind.

Tourists brought more trouble than they were worth, and the jail cells kept filling up for mistakes much too small. The gem guards told the golds to leave no stone unturned, to make sure foreigners knew not to mess with Moryen law... but all it did was add more prisoners and paperwork than anyone knew what to do with. As much respect as he had for the gems, even Lindor could admit that was a stupid mistake on their part. They even enlisted silvers, who never did their own work never mind extra work, to fill forms and add names to the dungeon registry. Downright laughable.

Thankfully for Lindor's sanity, his help was requested at the castle instead of the dungeon. He knew that damn near every guard would be assigned to it as well, leaving only two or three to keep an eye on the prisoners. He also knew that meant there would be many escapes and buffoonery in the dungeons, and that nothing would really be done to pursue them. It happened each year during the festival season, but he was still annoyed at the disorganized process.

"Guard! The child of a noble has been running around throwing wine and food at foreigners." A maid with a sweaty forehead pulled at his shirt and fumbled her words, clearly overworked and exhausted. She was pointing various places around the hall, uselessly.

He had just finished placing a table differently to please a noble. He turned around, wiping his brow. "Where was he last seen?"

"The second floor, sir."
She had noticed his casual armor was gold and laid the flattery, as people so often did. It made him rub his neck in discomfort. He had known this maid, and most maids at the castle at that, for quite some time. Which made it all the more embarrassing to be addressed with a title.

"I'm no sir, Liluth. C'mon, you know me. No need for thaā”€" his arm was pulled away by a princess with a stronger grip than one would expect. She dragged him halfway through the room with very little explanation. Lindor let it happen, feeling like a mischievous child pulled away by the ear.

"Guard, this man over here," she let go of him, "has been usurping royals and nobles alike! His so-called miraculous ointment cream gave me a rash, and who knows what else!" She shivered in disgust and showed her wrist, where a few bumps were raised. If she hadn't pointed it out he wouldn't have noticed.

He was largely unimpressed. "Right. Where is this man?"

"He has a red hat and red pants. Atrocious, if you ask me."

"Very well, your highness. I'm on it."
Did these people ever solve their own issues? So many were so minor... ugh, no time to groan and whine about such a thing. He needed to do his job, however small the task, and however tired he was.

He started searching throughout the ball room for his two suspects, then upstairs to the second floor in rooms where servants kept food, cleaning supplies, and various objects to bring upstairs or downstairs as needed. The royal family lived on the third floor, their door sealed by magic to open for them and them only. The fourth and fifth floors were forbidden. He didn't pay the bright blue door any mind, looking for anyone suspicious on the second floor.

The giggles of a child made him jump to his feet as he was opening closets and other hiding spots. He hurried down the corridor. It seemed to come from one of the broom closets. "Aha!" He opened the door with a flourish, his voice childish as to not scare the child too badly. Half the contents of the closet fell out, and a squeak came from the little girl in it. Various objects had fallen and piled onto her, as she laid on the floor. Her laughter had died down and she was pouting.

"Well hello there little miss." She was covered in dirt and her once beautiful dress was ripped and had fruit juice stains on it.

"Hello to you too, peanut brain." Her tongue came out and she tried to wiggle and push things off of her, unsuccessfully.

"Ha, ha, ha. Aren't you a little rat." His tone was friendly, and as she gasped dramatically at the insult he followed, "Forgive my language, madam."

"Right! That's madam the rat to you, old fool."
She laughed delightfully at her own words.

He pulled her up, and the objects that had held her down fell with a loud thunk to the floor. He was fond of children's mischief. One had to be when living with a large family. There was something comforting about having a bit of banter with a child. Maybe he spent too much time with his little siblings.

"There you are Maisha." The voice sounded sweet but the delivery was cold. Who...? Why did it ring familiar to Lindor's ears?

She yelped in surprise and ran over to the man. She was beaming, running circles around him before pausing so he could pat her head.

He was wearing a luxurious blue suit with gold swirls and everything about him from his hair to his shoes screamed prestige. But that wasn't what made Lindor's breath catch in his throat, no. It was the face. A face he knew much too well.

Lindor had grown up avidly keeping up with the royals the way his whole family did, with the exception of his dad who was very stuck in his ways. He knew every Moryen royal by heart and had even grown alongside the Moryen prince. They were the same age, his mother eagerly shared with him as a child, reinforcing that Lindor was meant for greatness as a gem guard. Every few weeks he went with his mother to help take care of her friend's tailor shop. On the way there he got to see the prince through the castle barriers, sitting all prim and proper as private teachers taught him manners and history and whatever else young princes are taught. His caramel brown hair, his big eyes, the way he smiled, the way he stood... it was in the culture of his Sindri family and in his blood to be fascinated and subservient to the Moryen royals. His mother always told him to be polite, to not stare. He always ended up looking a little longer. His family was made to be beside the Irwens, after all.

And here was the heir to the throne. Finwe Irwen. Son of his majesty King Finuil Irwen. His father's highest hope for the Kingdom's future.

Lindor's cheeks must be as red as the berry jam his neighbor made during summertime.

"Evening." Lindor barely registered his own voice as he spoke it. His eyes went large as he realized he addressed him far too casually. "Um," he said, his voice cracking. Damn it, how could he struggle to speak so badly? "Evening your highness. I am Lindor Sindri, forgive my intrusion." His hands were trembling as he bowed. Humiliating. "Rumors said a child was throwing food around the ball room, and I was looking for the perpetrator." He looked at the little girl, and couldn't help smiling a fond brotherly smile at her. She hid behind her uncle with a sly smile. What a rascal. "Although she is much too small to be a criminal, so I shall be on my way to find the real culprit."

He couldn't possibly arrest a child who the prince knows and cares for.

Despite his departing words, he didn't move an inch. He just stared. The same way he did as a child. Growing a deeper shade of red in the process.

"My, how rare to meet a Sindri." The prince gave him an appraising look, up and down. Lindor suddenly felt under-dressed for the occasion. "She is my niece, the daughter of my step-sister. She still has much to learn." He met Lindor's eyes and held them for a touch too long to be comfortable.

Silence hung between the two. Prince Finwe grew thoughtful, as if he was working through a puzzle in his mind.

"I have a humble request to make, Sindri, if you may."

"Anything you need, your highness."
He said it too fast to be respectable, but it was hard to care in the moment.

He reached into his suit pocket.

"Give this to your family for me. If the Sindri still have loyalty to the Irwens, of course. Otherwise... burn it."

His eyes were darker than Lindor remembered them to be.

Lindor's mouth opened and closed a few times, giving him the air of a fish out of water. He shook his head in shock, then nodded eagerly, his behavior as confusing as he felt. "Of course, your highness. I will deliver this with utmost care."

"Thank you, Lindor. Good evening to you and your family."

"Thank you, your highness,"
he dumbly responded. "Good evening, your highness."

The little girl held the fabric of the prince's pants as they both went to the blue door.

Prince Finwe made a waving movement with his hand. The door recognized him and glowed bright, before sliding open. They didn't look back as they climbed the stairs to the third floor, and the door sealed behind them with a whoosh.

Lindor was left alone with more questions than answers, and no culprit to bring back.

He didn't dare open the letter, something in him wanted to wait until the family was together to read it, to discover what it was that was needed of them. It weighed heavy on his mind and in his pocket as he continued his guard duties downstairs.

Wait until mother hears of this, he thought, feeling numb. What a night.

Kaeda // Kingdom of Moryen

Kaeda was at peace, drifting off into the never-ending sea that was not paying attention to whatever Orym was going on about now or anything they were saying whatsoever. His attention was being caught by anything even more remotely interesting than their conversation right now, whether it be a mouse rummaging through the streets looking for something to eat as it weaves through the feet of the people walking by, or a noble embarrassing themselves out in public. Kaeda always used to do that when he was younger, just sit on the old rotting-away fence that surrounded the farmhouse, and see if he could find anything interesting to watch to entertain him and for him to guess what would happen. It was entertaining to come up with stupid names to call the people who passed by and makeup stories about where they were going. Nyrinn would do that with him, too. She would always point out how observant Kaeda was, and how that's a good thing to be. Kaeda didnā€™t know if she would call hisā€¦ current occupational use of his observing skills ā€œgoodā€, though.

Maybe he was reflecting on these things due to seeing the number of horses around, all bearing the emblems of different noble families to show off who they were carrying alongside on their backs. Nyrinn always liked taking care of the horses their family kept, so it was no wonder why she took up a job at the royal stablesā€¦ Kaeda just realized something that could beā€¦ an issue. His pleasant not-paying-attention-to-what's-going-on changed into a worried not-paying-attention-to-what's-going-on when he realized that there was someone who could catch him in this whole lie he has created for himself here easily. Aughhh! Heā€™s so stupid!!! How didn't he think of this!!!

No, no, itā€™ll be fine. He went to calm himself in his head instantly. Itā€™s not like Iā€™m going to be staying here for a long while, and I doubt people like her will be around at the ball itself, anyways. I can avoid detection from her for now, itā€™s not as if Iā€™ll be playing prince for too long, anyways. I can avoid her for one event, easy, right- Kaedaā€™s train of thought was rudely interrupted by Elashor grabbing his arm again and dragging him instantly out of his distracted state.

ā€œBrother, you looked troubled. Whatā€™s wrong with you?ā€ Elashor questioned him immediately after moving him away from the carriage Orym was currently boarding, asking curtly with no actual concern of his well-being in her voice. Like him being ā€œtroubledā€ would be more of an issue to her than to him. It made Kaeda forget to be mad at himself for showing his emotions and what heā€™s thinking so easily like that.

ā€œAh, donā€™t worry, Iā€™m fine.ā€ Kaeda quickly ushered out an apology, giving a small, sheepish smile. ā€œI was simply thinking about the ball later. I am going to be meeting a lot of people there. All I hope to do is to make a good first impression.ā€ Elashor seemed satisfied by that explanation of his troubles, thankfully.

ā€œYes, yes, first impressions are very important. Please donā€™t embarrass the family name when you are presented to everyone.ā€ Elashor said that with a laugh like she was joking, but Kaeda could tell she would kill him if he did make a bad impression. Comforting. ā€œYou should not be concerning yourself with that matter, though. We should enjoy the festival! Where is that guardā€¦ā€ She glared over to where Ryenne was standing, ā€œRynne! Get over here!ā€

ā€œIsn't her name Ryenneā€¦?ā€
Kaeda asked, and Elsashor just shot him a look of ā€œwho caresā€ before returning her gaze to Ryenne, who was now approaching them, dragging her feet. Kaeda was understanding now why Ryenne had a look of perpetual annoyance on her face. Why was she even serving these peopleā€¦? Sheā€™s not a real guard, thatā€™s for sureā€¦ whatever.

ā€œI was about to come over. I was saying goodbye to her majesty.ā€ Ryenne deadpanned, and she really looked like she wanted to maul something right now. Scarrry! ā€œI take it as you want to go to the festival, your highness?ā€

ā€œObviously. Did you not listen to what mother told you?ā€ Elashor said the most annoying thing she could say in response to that. ā€œWe should get going soon. It should be held right outside the Moryen palace. Itā€™s not hard to miss, even for you.ā€ How kindā€¦ Elashor started dragging him along with her once again. She was surprisingly strongā€¦ what do they teach princesses in Riressi, even?

ā€œThere is no need to rush, your highness. You should not pull on his highness like that, eitherā€¦ā€ Ryenne lectured Elashor, or really, attempted to because Elashor was not going to listen. She followed after them, pacing herself to be walking alongside the two. Kaeda felt her eyes on him and looked up at her to see a look of pity coming from her. He doesnā€™t need fake guard pity! He needs her to get Elashor to stop dragging him all over the place! Like Elashor would listenā€¦ Kaeda, now looking over at Ryenne, picked up that it appeared that Ryenne was mumbling to herself about something, something about ā€œwho is so important Orym can be taken away at a huge event like this to talk toā€. Oh, that must be why Orym wasnā€™t here with them. Thatā€™s good. Kaeda still has no idea how to talk to that woman whatsoever. Or why she is pretending he is her son. Kaeda really hoped that she didnā€™t believe that or that would cause even moreā€¦ issues. Everything was going to be an issue at this rate!

ā€œā€¦Are you two getting along well?ā€ Ryenne asked, her voice uncertain as if she was testing the waters. It was a bit hopeful sounding for once, Ryenne always being one to be more pessimistic than anything from what Kaeda has seen of her so far. Elashor gave a weird smile, a grin that showed all her teeth. It looked genuine butā€¦ off-putting, in a way, that while she enjoyed Kaedaā€™s company, she still had resentment in her smile from Kaeda stealing away the throne from herā€¦ probably. He wishes he could just say that he didnā€™t want some stupid throne and she can go and have it for all he cares, whatever, but that would be a bit too revealing of what he truly is.

ā€œYes. I had feared we wouldnā€™t get along, but brother and I are enjoying one anotherā€™s company.ā€ Elashor said in a controlled voice, probably because she was kind of being fake right now with how much she liked Kaeda. But whatever. Kaeda didn't fault her for that. What else was she supposed to say?

ā€œAhā€¦ thatā€™s nice to hear.ā€ Ryenne actually smiled at that. It felt strange to see a smile in the usual place of an annoyed frown. ā€œI was concerned his highness would have a hard time adjusting, thatā€™s allā€¦ it is a lot for him to take in, you know. I am glad he gets to be with his family again.ā€ Ohā€¦ right, Ryenne is convinced heā€™s actually siblings with Elashor and all. The way she spoke in a relieved, happy tone reflected that having Kaeda getting along with Elashor wasn't just for her own sake of completing her work, but that she also thinks sheā€™s doing something good by reuniting Kaeda with his family. Probably one of the reasons why she didnā€™t try to stop Orym from implying she wants to put a criminal in charge of Riressi. Ryenne did seem like one of those more small-town types that would place a lot of importance on family. Too bad she really isnā€™t. But she doesnā€™t need to know that.

ā€œYes, yes. That is not my problem, though. I am sure brother will be just perfectly fine.ā€ Elashor shrugged, expecting Kaeda had already become a proper ā€œprinceā€ and knew how to act one beforehand. Soā€¦ high expectations. Kaeda is truly not out of the woodwork yet, is he? Ugh, the moment he gets out of here, heā€™s going to run far away from Moryen for a while so he can forget about all this and make people forget he ever existed as ā€œPrince Kaedaā€. ā€œHopefully he is looking forward to the festival, though, hmm? Liira should be there already. We should pick up our pace.ā€ Elashor sounded actually excited to go to this thing. Seeing her express emotions without covering her true feelings wasā€¦ strange. It was almost like she was an actual human! How shocking.

As they approached the festival grounds, the streets became more gradually empty- most likely all at the festival, Kaeda guessed. He had been there before, like he said to Elashor, because that thing was prime picking material for his grabby hands. It was great how much people brought to the damn thing, that he never had to hit up the ball later. Probably for the better, too, it has a lot of security which are a little too willing to throw poor Kaeda in jail like the meanies they are. Heā€™s just there to steal! And they act like heā€™s there to assassinate the prince! Kaeda knew he had to keep himself controlled though with so many eyes on him. At the ball, he would try his luck. Itā€™s what he deserves after all this boredom he had been subjected to. Hmmā€¦ Kaeda felt like he was forgetting somethingā€¦ something about the festival and how he needs to be even more extra careful there, or somethingā€¦ augh, if it was that important he would remember it!

Kaeda was then affronted by the sound of music and bright flags waving in the wind, and a sudden increase in people milling about. Looking up, he saw the Moryen palace looming over in the horizon, the bright blue roofs of the towers reaching high above the rest of the city, it reeking of opulence in comparison to the rest of the city that had crumbling buildings in comparison to the perfectly tailored gardens that surrounded the palace. And Kaeda was supposed to feel bad for stealing from a place like that? Give him a break. Those guards that threw him in the dungeons were all idiots. Thankfully he had the opportunity to play pretend prince, or he was never getting out of there, even though Lindor attempted to help him. Glancing over to Ryenne, her smile from earlier was gone, her gaze fixed up at the palace too. Maybe she was thinking the same thing. He didnā€™t get much chance to think through before getting yanked away by Elashor once again.

ā€œLiira! Over here!ā€ Elashor called out, and a woman that looked a bit older than Elashor looked over their way, Elashor making a beeline for her before Kaeda could get a better look. Definitely looked to be a noble type though, Kaeda could tell. ā€œIt is so nice to see you again. We havenā€™t seen each other sinceā€¦ fatherā€™s funeral, no?ā€ Elashor let go of Kaedaā€™s arm to hug Liira, the interaction being a lot more casual compared to how nobles typically interact. Kaeda assumed that closeness overrode any expectations of ā€œexpectedā€ behavior amongst nobility. Stillā€¦ Elashor was keeping herself restrained and formal even when interacting with someone sheā€™s close to. Kaeda didn't understand it.

Lirra smiled as she pulled away from Elashor, but Kaeda couldnā€™t tell if she was particularly happy to see her. ā€œYes, it has been a long while, hasnā€™t it? I donā€™t come up to Riressi a lot, I apologize. I am busy with my duties at home.ā€ She spoke in an accent, meaning that she was probably not from Riressi or Moryen, if Kaeda had to guess. One of the nearby kingdoms, it appeared like, one that was allied (or more or so coerced into working with) Riressi for Elashor and her to be so close. She wore typical noble wear, but Kaeda couldnā€™t help but notice how much moreā€¦ drabā€¦ she looked in comparison to what he and Elashor were wearing. Definitely lower nobilityā€¦ Kaedaā€™s fear was being realized when he saw her look him up and down like he was a piece of meat. Oh boy.

ā€œAh, Elashor, who is this with you, if I may ask?ā€ Liira naturally asked that, looking at him while she asked, her gaze going right through him. Eugh! Donā€™t stare at him like that! Kaeda was thankful she asked Elashor instead of him because he had no idea how to respond to that yet. He only has convinced Elashor he was a prince at the moment, other people were unknown territory.

ā€œOh, you will find out at the ball. Itā€™s a secret!ā€ Elashor giggled, finding the whole idea of keeping his status a secret enjoyable. ā€œYou can call him Kaeda, though. We came to the festival to enjoy it together.ā€ Liiraā€™s eyes lighted up a bit, probably finding the whole ~mystery~ to him alluringā€¦ how long does he have to deal with her?

ā€œI seeā€¦ it is nice to meet you, Kaeda. I am Liira Answyth.ā€ She introduced himself to him with a bow, something that Kaeda thinks Lindor said the nobility of lower-ranking do to greet higher nobility. So she is assuming he is someone important then. Great.

ā€œIt is nice to meet you too,ā€ Kaeda said with a polite smile, and the woman looked somehow even more excited. Can he tell her heā€™s not really a prince yet? And that heā€™s not into women too? Sighā€¦ he can deal with this, heā€™s sure of it. Ryenne didnā€™t introduce herself either- only guards that are asked to introduce themselves are allowed to, again, according to Lindorā€™s crash courses on nobility. She probably doesnā€™t want to talk to Liira, though, either. Elashor and Liira engaged quickly into conversation to catch up on lost time between them, and then Elashor was dragging him around by the arm once again into the festival, Ryenne keeping up behind them.

Elashor // Kingdom of Moryen

As she talked to her brother, her usual proud smirk kept slipping into something a little too genuine for someone like her.

Her mother's stern voice rang in her head. Don't let them see your true feelings. You are the riressian princess, not some clumsy maid. Stay in control.

Mother always told her that personality was just another mask to play with, to obtain what she wanted; perhaps Elashor needed to be an intimidating no-nonsense royal, or bat her eyelashes in coyness, or pull all the right strings and act approachable, or be childish and overlooked. Mother often switched between one to the other as if playing some sick game with the neighboring royals, and it worked. It worked eerily well. Elashor was raised to do this just as well, to be prim and proper and ready for any occasion to earn loyalty. She was raised to play with people and pull their strings and mask her true emotions.

But she couldn't. She simply couldn't. No matter how hard she tried.

Her face and her words betrayed every emotion, if not every thought. She was not her mother Queen Orym, who was raised normally and married into royalty. Nor was she her father King DĆ¹ghall, who was humbled by the difficult times his kingdom was going through in his years as a prince. Back then even the royals were living pitifully, the kingdom slowly falling apart, its economy frail from neighboring attacks, its crops dying, its people starving. Even the royals lived as peasants on and off throughout the years until her father inherited the throne. Her father had rarely received the luxury Elashor ungratefully lives in. As a King he brought the kingdom's main cities back to their former glory, filled its royal vaults with gold and jewels, and gave his daughter comforts he never had. It took no time at all for Elashor to embrace those comforts and come to expect these comforts, to crave more, to pout and shout for more. To cry wolf whenever something didn't go her way. She was special, after all, and special people deserved the best and only the best.

She was never meant to grow into an average woman roaming the Riressian streets in tight, giggling groups, marrying for love, befriending for simple pleasure, getting employment that suited her hobbies, dreaming of something bigger... no, she knew from an obnoxiously young age that she was better and she bragged about it from day one. It was in her blood. It was in how large her home was, how many maids ran about, in all the people who bowed before her when she went out to play. All the private teachers preparing her for greatness. Mother's calm voice when she spoke of Elashor's future, as if there was no doubt she would become beloved by her people and powerful beyond belief. Mother had more pressing matters to worry about than Elashor, because Elashor's fate was sealed. Her education was taken care of and any behavior out of place would be resolved in time.

As Elashor grew up, so did her ego. Beyond what even her Mother knows. It grew larger each day. She couldn't pretend to be nice and polite to cockroaches of the nobility or dirty-handed villagers who came to kiss her hand and beg for her blessings. She was loud, smug, unafraid, unbothered. Only her mother could calm her pride, if only for a moment, with a firm word or a slight touch on her shoulder.

Only fellow royals managed to hold her attention for longer than a few irritated minutes. She ignored the handful of nobles who bent over backwards for her every wish, but royalty made her curious and yearning to prove herself in front of her equals. And the few nobles who behaved themselves... well, they could stay near her, if only for a while.

"Dearest, what a joy it is to see you again," Liira said, her voice controlled and polite as usual, a small smile on her lips. They linked arms together like sisters. Liira kept eyeing Kaeda again, obviously judging his illegibility. As if Elashor would allow a noble to court her brother. Still, it couldn't hurt to let her dream. She doesn't know who Kaeda is yet either.

"I knew you would be nearby. Is Queen Andela in the castle?" She let her hands trail over different objects in the festival booths as she walked.

"Her Majesty insisted on staying at the Inn."

"So did my mother. How odd, we didn't run into each-other until now!"
She smiled at that. "Kaeda, I'm sure the guard..." she genuinely forgot her name while looking at the woman, and snapped her fingers a few times trying to remember before giving up, "can help you set up a room in the Inn later."

At that, Liira squinted suspiciously, but smiled again when their eyes met. Right. She must have gathered that Kaeda is someone important, if he is being set up at the Inn where all the royals are staying. Not that it mattered much. The truth would be revealed to everyone soon enough.

Liira became her friend a few years ago at her mother's suggestion. Born from nobility, the maid of a neighboring kingdom's queen, Liira had the amazing luck of being promoted to her unusually young queen's inner circle until she became her personal maid. Orym wanted to build loyalty between both kingdoms and gain insider information about it... and thus Elashor grew friends with someone she otherwise would've overlooked in a heartbeat. A friendship grew naturally, and Elashor invited Liira into her social circle.

She was everything Queen Orym had taught Elashor to be, had Liira been a princess: polite, likable, calculating... and good at pressing people's buttons, making herself whatever the situation needed her to be. She had an icy look in her eyes, but she always acted prim and proper and contained. Ladylike. She was reliable and level-headed. She was one of the few friends that her mother approved of. And best of all, she always had new things to show Elashor and keep her boredom at bay. Exciting gossip from overseas, one-of-a-kind dresses, information about neighboring princes, fights and betrayals between different kingdoms, embarrassing stories about other princesses... Liira knew it all, usually thanks to her queen and the many travels she embarked on. She was the closest thing Elashor had to a trustworthy friend. She never minded Elashor's loud mouth and her smug, childish ways. She simply chuckled nicely, smiled, and nodded along.

Liira's arrival at the festival made Elashor nervous in a way Liira never did before. The excitement of a new brother, bringing back nostalgia and complex feelings about her late father, made her less carefree than she usually was. She kept doing anxious movements with her hands and laughing a little too high-pitched, or going quiet a tad too long, her eyes darting nervously while she asked Kaeda one question after another. It was hard to hide how eager she was to have a sibling, to have a new connection to her father. Knowing he had been with another woman than her mother had been a bitter pill to swallow, but it didn't erase all the happy memories she had with him. And it couldn't dim the intense happiness she was feeling at Queen Orym finding her long lost brother.

A sibling. A brother! She, Elashor DĆ¹ghall, was no longer a lone child in her family.

She would have thought her mother would have been angry at the discovery of Kaeda. Instead, she had greeted him with open arms and even introduced them. Elashor never could figure out what her mother was truly thinking, even as a child, so this was just another mystery on her long, long list of questions that would never be answered. Queens had many secrets, after all, and Elashor couldn't be bothered to even ask this time. She was simply grateful to have this.

What sort of buffoon am I turning into, she thought to herself in disgust. 'I'm already acting odd. If I can't act normal about this, how will I act normal at the ball? How humiliating... Acting unusual in front of Liira was embarrassing. She knew the way she was moving and talking was clumsy, awkward, and Liira must be picking up on it. She knew it would be viciously gossiped about with their friends later, or perhaps before the day was even over. It may seem a minor issue not worthy of shame to the average villager, but in the world of royals any weakness was exploited. Liira would be sending a letter to all their riressian friends to talk of her antics within hours of leaving the festival, and Elashor couldn't blame her for it. She would do the same without hesitation, and without guilt.

Their tight-knit friend group back in Riressi consisted of cut-throat royals and a few lucky nobles who sat at the top of the young nobility scene. They went out into town in gorgeous outfits, playing together, perhaps going over each-other's homes to have tea. Simple things friends typically do, but many mind games went on behind the scenes. They used any weakness they could find in each-other for entertainment. They had spent a few years in a royal academy together overseas, which toughened them up and made them all highly competitive. Downright vicious at times. As if they never left school at all.

Elashor was usually on top of it all. Carefree, unbothered, playing with people. Watching the weakest links be thrown out of the group, feeding the nasty rumors, laughing along with jokes directed at others. Yet this trip to Moryen could push her off the top of the social pyramid if she wasn't careful. Her friends weren't born riressians and didn't have to bow down to her. They were living there from neighboring kingdoms, powerful kingdoms, which Riressi needed as allies. It wasn't just a mind game between young adults for fun. It reflected the relationships between different kingdoms. A betrayal between friends was a betrayal between kingdoms. Or so her mother told her, years ago.

Her friends were always looking for the next juicy tidbit of gossip to play with and manipulate.

Her new brother would be a source of some laughter and many questions, yes. But her latent obsession with the Moryen prince could be her undoing. Many girls in her social group had their courtships ruined by some sick pranks the members played on them, all because the top royals were already interested in their potential lover. Or the group simply thought the match wasn't meant to be. And Elashor knew many of the girls would have an issue with this pairing.

Hence why she needed her first meeting with the prince to set their relationship on the right path. She needed to catch his eye, or he may not be there for her to snatch at the next Moryen ball. By then, her entire social group would know of her intentions and get in the way.

She eyed Liira with a mix of endearment and wariness. Her friends were all good to have around... but one should always watch their back around them, just in case. She knew the others felt the same way about her. It was just how things were between royalty, how they were meant to be. Like a game of chess with the highest of stakes.

Still, the Moryen ball brought up childish emotions in her, and she couldn't dwell on her worries for long. There were beautiful displays, bright lights, well-dressed people from all over the world, and food to die for. All for her to enjoy.

She grabbed both of Liira's hands and laughed a girly laugh, letting her shoulders relax. "Let us play the festival games together. There's prizes to win!" She brought her tone back down, realizing how high-pitched it had gotten. "Not that we need them, of course. But it may help pass the time."

"Of course. The ball isn't for a few hours... and perhaps I can get to know your mystery friend a little more." She smiled a little more than usual at Kaeda.

"Right." She made a disgusted face, but rolled her eyes and moved her face away before Liira could see. "Guard, show us the games."

She trailed behind the irritated guard as the woman tried to map out the different booths and guide the group through them. She might need to keep Liira away from Kaeda with a stick until the ball. But, at least, she had a few hours to shake off her nerves before meeting her prince.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back