Idea Sweet Home Group Thread?

Pride.

Local Mushroom
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
**There will be spoilers ahead so if you haven't seen/read Sweet Home you have been warned**

AAAABdYzNS9eaAuGL0tEglSy41coCj2XftpkFuPaS0j8OIF4yI5cpmfMgvfPSFbopwJNWM2pQlV6EDuUVNLox5eLelGmcVyO41_j-wwpyx_GdVtzirIMunYmReziUeztFreFCGuWaVzKnNIqbBp0zv4CZyWKjjrNzvRlfx-5p0B7VOzHHA.png

Afternoon everyone! I have finally pulled myself from my hole of self-doubt to make this discussion thread. I have never made a discussion thread before so I really don't know how this works, but I might as well put myself out there otherwise the idea I have will never go anywhere. Anyway, before I get any more nervous about spilling my blood to you guys I am just going to get right into it. I recently have binged the Netflix original Sweet Home, the horror apocalypse show that follows a group of not always super likable characters that made me ball my eyes out in the final episodes. I don't want to spoil the show to anyone who may want to watch the show in the near or far future that is all I will share about the show and my experience with it. I have not had the chance to read the original webtoon that the show is based on yet so if you are familiar with the webtoon series and the plot of the series please try not to spoil too much about the comic since I don't really know much and if some new readers are lingering about in this thread. Though, I would love it if someone will grab me by the collar and tossed me into a few lessons about the lore of the series. Is this is a request or a demand? I am not quite sure myself, but I wanted to mention this because I want to make a thread about the show/webtoon series. Specifically a group thread. I want to make a group thread that follows a group of people who are special infectees, as the show would like to call them, that have been banished or ran from their groups because they were believed to be turning into monsters. They managed to find each other in this fallen world and have decided to band together to try and keep each other human when no one else would try. There will be pain and sadness, as the group tries to not only figure out how to not only survive together but also learn each other's inner demons. I don't think it would be a large group since it would be rare that people would be able to resist the transformation. I have a few character roles I have in mind but they need some fleshing out and working on. There will be some moments where characters will lose control of themselves and some might lose their battles with their demons, but ultimately this group relies only on each other since the people have all but abandoned them. I also have few plot ideas that I have brewing for the possible characters. I just wanted to put this out there and see if this would be something that anyone would be interested in or would it be a lost cause to set up a whole thread for this idea. I am just worried that I am going to put my heart and soul into this and it is going to flop.

I have tried my hand at making group threads in the past but they have never really worked out and so I just want others to chime in and tell me if this would really work out. If anyone would be interested in taking this project on with me I would love this help to plan out any logistics and help me with lore. You know, so I don't make a complete fool of myself.

As a fan of the webtoon and a (mostly) fan of the Netflix show, I can see this setting working out really well in RP format if you are careful. Apocalypse settings are fun and so are monsters. Part of what I loved about Sweet Home was the confined setting. It does not sound like this is what you are thinking about, but trying to survive on the road while stopping here and there for supplies can be super fun too! Changing settings is a good way to spice up a RP after all.

A few problems I can see with this set up though is:
  1. OP characters- people will be inclined to make this their characters in complete control of their infection or, when they do lose control, be unstoppable to even other monsters. DM control will be required because editing and/or complete character rejection will be needed.
  2. Losing control- Similar to above, some people will do this too often while some will never want to do it at all. Who will be in charge of determining when people lose control? The individual or the DM? And when they are out of control, who will write their responses? Just some thoughts to have.
  3. Full transformations- A lot of people don't like their characters to die or, in this case, death=turning into a monster or being killed before hand. This will be an issue you need to address somehow. I do, though, love the idea that friends will be forced to kill their friend.
  4. Visions- Hard to say if this will be a problem, but I can imagine a situation where people are having hallucinations and symptoms so often that they steal the show and distract from the plot. Or, similarly, they spend all/many of their posts in their head hallucinating so they never actually interact.
  5. Threat- If every person is infected, has incredible regeneration, and varying levels of control over their monster powers, where will the danger be? A small group of monsters will surely be able to take out all individual monsters they come across... at least in my mind.
  6. Everyone being infected- although I see why you would want this to be a thing (its a super fun idea), the above reasons makes this concerning to me just because of how people can be. It could be beneficial for people to not be infected at the start of the RP, just supporters of "infected rights" or perhaps they have no choice. That way, people at least have a full spectrum of character options and those who wish can RP out the "turning" process versus everyone else who has already found a way to fight off the infection.
  7. Getting members- they way things are presented now, only people who already know about Sweet Home will want to RP it. You have isolated a lot of people who have not seen/read it. This could pose a problem with getting members. If you wanted to attract people who are not already into this fandom, you could start like Sweet Home does, no one knows what is happening and you as the DM establishes the lore overtime as they try to survive. Promote it like a monster-Apocalypse RP rather than a fandom RP.
These are just some thoughts I have! I know I explained more the problems, but I do honestly see potential in this idea. After all, who does not love to be in a survival situation where you don't have a choice in who your allies are?

All in all, I'm not normally a fan of group RPs, but I am interested in this idea. Feel free to reach out to me if you want and we can chat/brainstorm together! Would love to just talk about Sweet Home too!

hi! i'm new to this site, made an account just a few min ago actually, so i apologize if this isnt the correct way of contacting you. but i was wondering if this rp idea is still going & if you ever got a group behind it? if so I'd love to join!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back