• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Supporter name color (and other site colors)

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I would like to bring your attention to one little thing which is not significant, but it bothers me a little ever since I joined the site.

As a part of my job I deal with website accessibility for visually impaired. And because I happen to research things like text colors on websites, the Supporter name and badge color is like an eyesore :(
It is very hard to read when you're using Light theme! Both as a nickname color and as a little badge under user's avatar!

Let me illustrate.

According to those guidelines the minimum contrast ratio for text should be 4.5:1, unless it's decorative text.
Yes, it can be considered decorative text, especially the little badge under the username, but I think username itself is kind of meaningful text, you need to see who you're talking to XD

So, if you check the color contrast for it on dark theme it is perfectly fine
AYPq148.png

But then you check it on Light theme, and....

CsFwOh2.png

also, the text on the badge below username, which is the same colors but reversed...

3ANRyfu.png

So I would appreciate if you consider changing the color to something with better contrast on light theme.
You could use online contrast checker like this to see if the colors are okay.

I am sorry if you find this unnecessary suggestion. Feel free to ignore it. I just thought I could bring this to your attention.
And maybe if other people could confirm or deny the text is hard to read. Maybe I'm overthinking.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Is there a similar gold color that you find easier to read on light?

The thing is, I feel like none of the yellow shade colors would have enough contrast on white background. But can try to make it slightly more orange and darker.

I tried fiddling with color checker a bit
#CAA72F
#CEA500
#CCA300
is still not enough, but slightly better

I will run more checks at work tomorrow since I have more apps for this than I do at home and right now I'm very sleepy ^^

Honestly, the more yellow the color is, the worse contrast it has on white background.

If you're okay with adjusting the color, I would suggest making it more orange or darker yellow.

For example, a couple of colors that have contrast around 2,5:1 which is still not perfect but at least better trhan 1.7 and feels more readable.
#CD970A (more orange)
#D39E00 (darker yellow)

I also checked all those colors in various color blind modes (including those in post above) and they have similar contrast of 2.5-2.7. Still fails the contrast checks on white but at least doesn't hurt the eyes as much. (sorry!)
I checked them all on black background and they all pass.

Kaerri Kaerri

I changed thread title because I didn't want to create another topic about a similar thing.

The new color on dark theme is great, but thread list is kinda hard to read unless you hover over a link.
M6Q0G9R.png

May I suggest to try something like #16BFBF

CjSec20.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back