• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Suggestion Support for RPs in Multiple Locations

Epiphany

Proverbs 17:9
I've been in several RPs in the past where the party split up, meaning players were in different locations. I'm in an RP right now that has 20+ players who routinely play in multiple locations, as well as the host running special events. Having everything happening in the same thread creates a significant burden of reading, where I'm routinely skimming through posts to see if it applies to me, and where it's difficult to backtrack a conversation or a sequence of events because the last three actions for my group are spread out between 20 or 30 posts made up of everyone else posting in the same thread.

I understand Hosted Projects are the traditional solution for this. I'm also given to understand that Hosted Projects have been suspended indefinitely.

Some solution allowing for an RP to split the group would be greatly appreciated. I've quit RPs in the past because they were too hard to keep up with and I'm enjoying this one enough that I don't want to go the same direction, but I also don't have an hour to spend every day reading everything and/or having to open a tab in chrome per relevant post just to try to establish a chronology.

Allowing additional tabs would be great. Allowing hosted projects again would also be great. Anything that allows a single RP to operate in 2-5 locations at once would be great.

Thank you for considering this suggestion.

Currently we are working on fine tuning the threadmark system to allow for multiple threads to be grouped together as tabs. We're very excited to see this through as it will allow normal RPs to have the tabs and grouping functionality that HPs have. While the system is currently live, we're still working out the kinks in the system and a tutorial to accompany it.

The biggest boon of this new threadmark system is the support for unlimited amount of tabs, in a design much cleaner compared to the current roleplay tabs system.

The threadmark system is up and available for people to play around with, but do be warned that it is still being developed as we speak and no official documentation has been made. A tutorial will be made soon, so you wont have to wait too long.

Because of the massive overhaul of the threadmark system and the implementation of it alongside thread covers, we're doing a mass review of all HPs and redefining the criteria for being a HP. We hope in this way, HPs become much more than just RPs that need more than 5 threads, but rather RPs that deserve high attention due to specific and special cases, such as having over 200 members or run a tightly maintained system of tracking and player interaction.

I look forward to seeing how the threadmark system will function then!

My impression based on what I've seen so far is that it's a useful way to create a kind of 'table of contents' of a specific thread, allowing you to quickly navigate to predefined sections instead of having to wade through. Which is good for "The party arrives here" and "That player does something amazing" for highlights as well as "Day 1" "Day 2" sort of topical breaks. I don't see a way to filter posts by threadmark/topic so only those display but maybe that's either (A) coming or (B) already here and I don't know any better. :)

I'm a little concerned that multiple locations being handled by threadmarks will depend on each player in each location (1) always remembering to threadmark and (2) remembering to spell/threadmark accurately. Unless threadmarks can be used by the host of an RP and using them creates a new category somehow that players just click in to post in or something.

I'm eager to learn more!

I look forward to seeing how the threadmark system will function then!

My impression based on what I've seen so far is that it's a useful way to create a kind of 'table of contents' of a specific thread, allowing you to quickly navigate to predefined sections instead of having to wade through. Which is good for "The party arrives here" and "That player does something amazing" for highlights as well as "Day 1" "Day 2" sort of topical breaks. I don't see a way to filter posts by threadmark/topic so only those display but maybe that's either (A) coming or (B) already here and I don't know any better. :)

I'm a little concerned that multiple locations being handled by threadmarks will depend on each player in each location (1) always remembering to threadmark and (2) remembering to spell/threadmark accurately. Unless threadmarks can be used by the host of an RP and using them creates a new category somehow that players just click in to post in or something.

I'm eager to learn more!

This is an example of multiple threads linked together:

chrome_2018-10-03_14-56-36.png

YES.

How do I do that? :D

We are actually working on a tutorial. I think you've misunderstood what Threadmarks are. They let you mark things as the RP GM and make an Index. They also let you link an unlimited number of threads together. Its almost like a book with chapters.

I've only seen them in the context of serving as labels for a specific post. I haven't seen a working example that follows the process logic you're suggesting it can do.

Definitely looking forward to that tutorial. :) If you need help, let me know and I'll do what I can?

YES.

How do I do that? :D
Just a FYI, this isn't how the tabs currently really look. It's a bit of a conflict between the HP addon and the Threadmark addon. ;3
Here is how they currently really look;
rep.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back