• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Supernatural RP OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
O.o

Do you need help? Why are you fighting?

I train MMA hahah, it happened in sparring, as I am tall (6'8'') I like to use them because it's a great way of attacking the opponent's midsection and maintaining distance. Some guys are good at blocking them with their elbows however, and kicking your toes into someone's elbow is quite painful lmao. Just posted that because of the fact that it happened repeatedly today and I laughed at myself as I limped my merry way up the stairs x)

Thanks for the concern though! :)

I'm suddenly reminded of how short I am. Allow me to find a corner to go cry in for the foreseeable future.

Struve_Mighty+Mouse.jpg

Actual image of me and Crono sparring

:)

Alator Alator

I'm jealous. I wish I was a few inches taller (I'm 6'2"... on a good day) and I've been wanting to train in some kind of martial arts for a while now. Might start BJJ soon; there's a gym right next to my workplace.

What have you trained in, specifically? I'm a huge martial arts nerd so I always love hearing about people's backgrounds.

I’m 5’7”. I’m not short for a woman, but most of the people around me are just so godsdamned tall that I feel tiny.

Alator Alator

I'm jealous. I wish I was a few inches taller (I'm 6'2"... on a good day) and I've been wanting to train in some kind of martial arts for a while now. Might start BJJ soon; there's a gym right next to my workplace.

What have you trained in, specifically? I'm a huge martial arts nerd so I always love hearing about people's backgrounds.

Nice, I’m an absolute nerd myself too :). I mainly train thaiboxing but I’ve done a fair share of submissionwrestling, essentially no-GI bjj. Find it more realistic and that gi is annoying. I highly reccommend it, it builds confidence, character and gives you a ton of new friends and thats excluding the training.

Nice, I’m an absolute nerd myself too :). I mainly train thaiboxing but I’ve done a fair share of submissionwrestling, essentially no-GI bjj. Find it more realistic and that gi is annoying. I highly reccommend it, it builds confidence, character and gives you a ton of new friends and thats excluding the training.

Yup. NanLia NanLia can vouch, I'm such a nerd that I go into detail listing the various martial arts my characters (in SPN and other RPs/stories I write) would have studied. How a given character fights is a weird albeit neat form of character development in my mind.

Ah, cool! I'm familiar with no-gi; I've been looking into it recently. Luckily, the place near my work offers classes in both. Depending on my schedule, I'd honestly probably end up trying both just to see which I like better and get more mat time. I've heard arguments for and against the gi, so I figure I can't go wrong that way :) One of my biggest regrets is not getting into wrestling in middle/high school, though.

Taller than me ....
I’m 5’7”. I’m not short for a woman, but most of the people around me are just so godsdamned tall that I feel tiny.
You're an amazon ....
I train MMA hahah, it happened in sparring, as I am tall (6'8'') I like to use them because it's a great way of attacking the opponent's midsection and maintaining distance. Some guys are good at blocking them with their elbows however, and kicking your toes into someone's elbow is quite painful lmao. Just posted that because of the fact that it happened repeatedly today and I laughed at myself as I limped my merry way up the stairs x)

Thanks for the concern though! :)
I wasn't aware they made people this tall ....

Safton Safton knows first hand the stuggles of the short people - he's bared witness to my woes. I blame my father's genes. While he is 5'8 and my mother was 5'7 (pre-knee surgery) I am only 5'2 BUT my dads mum is 4'11 <--- it's his fault I'm short. Nanny's nanny could never be at fault.

My boi is 6’4, and mocks me mercilessly. I showed him this, and he went on about how I’m “tiny, adorable, and pint sized.” FML.

Yup. NanLia NanLia can vouch, I'm such a nerd that I go into detail listing the various martial arts my characters (in SPN and other RPs/stories I write) would have studied. How a given character fights is a weird albeit neat form of character development in my mind.

Ah, cool! I'm familiar with no-gi; I've been looking into it recently. Luckily, the place near my work offers classes in both. Depending on my schedule, I'd honestly probably end up trying both just to see which I like better and get more mat time. I've heard arguments for and against the gi, so I figure I can't go wrong that way :) One of my biggest regrets is not getting into wrestling in middle/high school, though.

Lol I tend to do the same, agree with you on the character development thing.

Well there are several reasons I’m against the gi, first off, because of how rough the fabric is it wears more on the body, you’ll be far more sore after Rolling. Secondly, unless you end up fighting with a winter jacket on, collar chokes etc wont be a factor, and No-gi means that there is less for your opponent to grab to try to prevent you from advancing your position. And because I train mma, well you don’t fight with a gi on so pointless for me.

You can pick up wrestling and stuff like that at a decent level quite quickly, like a year ish. You wont be ncaa quality but most people dont train anything anyway hahah. Depends on your talent and genes.

I’m personally more of a striker, the only sub I usually actually go for is standing guiliotine, because of my height and the fact that I train a lot of strength I dont have to sink it in cleanly all the time, it can be enough essentially pulling them off their feet by the neck if they are a bit shorter, even if the arm is wrapped around the chin, and if they pull you down you have the d’arce choke there already. Kimura from side-control is another go-to sub of mine. Otherwise I’d just try to KO my opponent standing.

NanLia NanLia do you have to use a ladder to reach the top shelf? ;D

Lol I tend to do the same, agree with you on the character development thing.

Well there are several reasons I’m against the gi, first off, because of how rough the fabric is it wears more on the body, you’ll be far more sore after Rolling. Secondly, unless you end up fighting with a winter jacket on, collar chokes etc wont be a factor, and No-gi means that there is less for your opponent to grab to try to prevent you from advancing your position. And because I train mma, well you don’t fight with a gi on so pointless for me.

You can pick up wrestling and stuff like that at a decent level quite quickly, like a year ish. You wont be ncaa quality but most people dont train anything anyway hahah. Depends on your talent and genes.

I’m personally more of a striker, the only sub I usually actually go for is standing guiliotine, because of my height and the fact that I train a lot of strength I dont have to sink it in cleanly all the time, it can be enough essentially pulling them off their feet by the neck if they are a bit shorter, even if the arm is wrapped around the chin, and if they pull you down you have the d’arce choke there already. Kimura from side-control is another go-to sub of mine. Otherwise I’d just try to KO my opponent standing.

NanLia NanLia do you have to use a ladder to reach the top shelf? ;D

Yep, that's what I've heard from a lot of practitioners. The arguments I've heard for the gi are usually people who really like the grip-fighting aspect (many of them cross-training from Judo so that's to be expected) and slower pace enforced by the increased friction. As an outsider looking in, I tend to prefer the tempo and aesthetic of no-gi, especially when it's done under a ruleset allowing leg locks and slams.

Well, considering your height those seem like solid options to me. After all, chokes are by far the highest-percentage submission in MMA and grappling, followed by arm locks.

Yep, that's what I've heard from a lot of practitioners. The arguments I've heard for the gi are usually people who really like the grip-fighting aspect (many of them cross-training from Judo so that's to be expected) and slower pace enforced by the increased friction. As an outsider looking in, I tend to prefer the tempo and aesthetic of no-gi, especially when it's done under a ruleset allowing leg locks and slams.

Well, considering your height those seem like solid options to me. After all, chokes are by far the highest-percentage submission in MMA and grappling, followed by arm locks.

Yeah, I personally think gripping the gi to try to stop someone from advancing their position is a bit cheap and takes away from the actual grappling aspect.

The standing guiliotine is Also a good way to stop and deter people from shooting for takedowns, if they dont defend and cant get the takedown right off the bat that choke will most likely sink in deep. Another thing I’ve found very useful is in side-control, pin one of the opponents arms with your legs first (crucifix). Then you have two arms to pin their other arm and secure either an americana or a kimura, then you can just submit them as usual. Might come in handy if you start, was effective against a purple belt who’s ground game is much better than mine :)

Yeah, I personally think gripping the gi to try to stop someone from advancing their position is a bit cheap and takes away from the actual grappling aspect.

The standing guiliotine is Also a good way to stop and deter people from shooting for takedowns, if they dont defend and cant get the takedown right off the bat that choke will most likely sink in deep. Another thing I’ve found very useful is in side-control, pin one of the opponents arms with your legs first (crucifix). Then you have two arms to pin their other arm and secure either an americana or a kimura, then you can just submit them as usual. Might come in handy if you start, was effective against a purple belt who’s ground game is much better than mine :)

Ah, very nice. I'll keep that in mind, though don't plan on subbing anyone anytime soon just starting out lol

Does your school award belts? I know some no-gi places don't.

Ah, very nice. I'll keep that in mind, though don't plan on subbing anyone anytime soon just starting out lol

Does your school award belts? I know some no-gi places don't.
There’s No such thing as too early to submit someone, well at least if they are also whitebelts and you dont go for dangerous subs like leglocks :)

We train both with gi and without gi, I only do No-gi though so I dont have a belt. Not the biggest fan of belts, prefer when you let your skills speak for themselves lol (why I facepalm at kickboxing schools who use belts for example)

Though the rite when you get your blue belt is brutal, we call it ironman, you have to roll for one hour with everyone in the club with No rest or water. If you sub someone or get subbed, or just take too long, another guy or girl just jumps you instead.

My gym is very high quality though so our blue belts are damn good, so they can handle it, even though it pushes them to their limits.

There’s No such thing as too early to submit someone, well at least if they are also whitebelts and you dont go for dangerous subs like leglocks :)

We train both with gi and without gi, I only do No-gi though so I dont have a belt. Not the biggest fan of belts, prefer when you let your skills speak for themselves lol (why I facepalm at kickboxing schools who use belts for example)

I can understand that. I've always liked the saying from a bunch of nak muay from Thailand when asked about belts: "The only belt that matters is the gold one you get for winning a championship."

I admit I'm sort of a sucker for belt ranks though, so long as they're not being handed out freely for time in grade but rather for showing understanding of a curriculum or winning competitions.

How old were you when you started training?

I can understand that. I've always liked the saying from a bunch of nak muay from Thailand when asked about belts: "The only belt that matters is the gold one you get for winning a championship."

I admit I'm sort of a sucker for belt ranks though, so long as they're not being handed out freely for time in grade but rather for showing understanding of a curriculum or winning competitions.

How old were you when you started training?

Yeah I’ve heard that too, love it :)

I cut bjj more slack because it was built from the start with belts, less so when people add belts to sports. You’re usually fine unless you see kids with black belts (mcdojos)

I began when I was 17, developed quite quickly though lol

Last edited:
Alator Alator I'll have you know I don't put anything on the top shelves that I need consistently. If I do need something I get a chair from the dinning table, climb onto the counter and then grab what I need.

And then, as an example, if I need to do something out of reach that doesn't have a counter beneath it, I make Safton Safton do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back