• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern ๐’๐”๐๐ƒ๐Ž๐–๐ โ€” ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต.

timshel

๐™ฉ๐™๐™ค๐™ช ๐™ข๐™–๐™ฎ๐™š๐™จ๐™ฉ
โ€” SUNDOWN.
an atypical college mystery thriller. POC-centered.
introduction.
It isnโ€™t easy being black in Durham, North Carolina, in the year of 1973.

It isnโ€™t any easier being a black student in this environment. The college experience tends to be politicizing and radicalizing: the process of applying knowledge and theory to explain the way things are has a way of enraging those who have historically gotten the shorter end of the stick. Yet a looming feeling of powerlessness predominates despite the sense of knowing everything about these institutional wrongs.

Somehow, you found yourself at the esteemed Duke University, which for some reason decided to break its century-long ties to white supremacy and prioritized the admission of minorities. You know youโ€™re a brilliant mind with accolades that speak for themselves, but the constant โ€œYou only got in because youโ€™re black,โ€ follows you like your own shadow. Some days itโ€™s easier to ignore than others. The self-doubt is powerful.

Being in such a predominantly white space would make anyone want to find or foster a community that makes them feel more at home. The Black Student Union embraced you warmly. It was just the refuge you needed from the micro (and macro) aggressions you encounter on a day-to-day basis. Home-cooked meals, hair braiding, community, fraternity, understanding. A diamond in the rough, the one thing you really look forward to every week.

It all comes crashing down when the BSU secretary went missing. The rest of the club proceeded logically, rationally, objectively at firstโ€”a police report was filed, flyers were handed out and posted around campus, phone calls to family and exes were made.

All logic went out the window when students woke up to a terrifying visage: a cross was erected and set on fire in front of the BSU fraternity building during the obscure hours of the morning. Everyone's thinking the same thing. The culprit outed themselves, it's just now up to law enforcement to investigate further.

Itโ€™s much more complicated than it looks, though.

about.
Welcome to Sundown.
"Be aware of where you are. Be careful. Watch your back, and trust your intuition. These people only want to see you fail."

Inspired by many of the themes present in untold minority stories and the history of racial injustice in the United States, this group roleplay will be a disappearance investigation with a twist: the answer is nowhere near as simple as it appears to be. Things are going to get dark.

The characters will be position-holding senior members of the Black Student Union at Duke University in Durham, South Carolina. Faced with both an impending sense of danger from the demonstration on their own lawn and the motivation to find answers from their missing friend, they take it upon themselves to investigate on their own.

The police don't seem to be paying this much attention, despite their insistence that something is wrong, sinister, even: their friend would never just disappear without a trace. Something had to have happened. But even after reporting the act of terror, they still don't seem to pay this much mind.

Combining strengths from different academic disciplines and swallowing the fear, they try to proceed forward with what little they know at the tip of this extensive iceberg.

Note: even though I am using real locations and institution names, this is all fictional. None of this is inspired by actual events at the mentioned locations.

Themes: mystery, thriller, suspense, drama, supernatural.

Sources of inspiration: BlacKkKlansman, Stranger Things, Get Out, Us, If Beale Street Could Talk, Beloved.

guidelines.
NO.1 Follow all of RP Nation's rules for conduct and content.

NO.2 This is going to be an advanced roleplay, where good grammar, correct spelling, and tantalizing writing is an expectation. You should be able to comfortably write 500 words per post, at the very minimum.

NO.3 Placement in this roleplay will not be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. Iโ€™ll be judging each of the characters on their quality, depth, and originality, and their owners on their writing quality. I'll be strictly capping the cast at seven characters, meaning there will be six open slots I'm looking to fill.

NO.4 Please be prepared to post in character at least once a week when the roleplay goes live. Although I'll never encourage a member in all seriousness to forego real life responsibilities and obligations for this group's sake, somewhat frequent activity keeps roleplay groups from dying out.

NO.5 I ask that applicants please be at or above the age of eighteen years old. Themes in this roleplay are going to get quite heavy (death, violence, bigotry, hatred, etc.) and I don't want to involve minors in adult scenarios.

NO.6 Be prepared to chat on Discord. I find itโ€™s a very helpful platform to have quick discussions about characters, plotting, and itโ€™s a low pressure environment where we can all chat with each other. I will make a server for all the accepted members of this roleplay once I have determined whoโ€™s going to be in it.

roles.
The President. One of the most visible club members, responsible for creating meetings, brainstorming event ideas, and providing a general sense of leadership and inspiration.

The Vice President. Shares more or less the same responsibility and authority as the President, but also serves as an assistant. Is more involved in seeing administrative matters all the way through and putting in a good deal of work.

The Treasurer. Responsible for managing the club's money. Although a considerable amount of their budget comes from the University's club budget, they are also tasked with organizing fundraisers to provide for more events.

The Historian. The ultimate record-keeper. Maintains a detailed and thorough record of club happenings, from attendance at meetings and keeping track of membership to documenting special events. Also carries a camera and maintains a scrapbook.

The Communications Chair. Tasked with publicizing BSU events, recruiting new members, maintaining contact with club alumni, and facilitating relationships with other student organizations, this position is a fearless and outgoing one.

The Service Chair. A very humanitarian-minded position that is responsible for creating and organizing acts of university and community service. In touch with the needs of the greater Durham community.

The Education Chair. This restless mind develops and presents educational curriculum the organization provides both its own members and those outside the club, on and off campus. What good is higher education if it's not shared with others?

code by @leviathan.

damn. the cat has got my tongue. this is beautiful and intriguing.

I AM LOOKING RESPECTFULLY ๐Ÿ‘๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๏ธ

bump - looking for some more interest

This looks super interesting! Very fitting for the current times too.

hey everyone. thank you for your interest and patience with this projectโ€”truthfully iโ€™ve been hesitant to continue on with it because of how visible itโ€™s been for the past couple of days, and iโ€™ve been very worn out.
that being said, this is too good to lose. you can expect more information (a cs, ooc, and lore page) in the coming days. thanks again!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back