• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Lore
Here
Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Oh she'll attack a prone demon!)

Esme watched the pillow as it flew towards Kyle's face. She fully expected him to dodge it or smack it away and give her an angry or disappointed glance. However, it made contact with its target, bounced off his face, and fell to the floor. She stood there a bit... flabbergasted and could only stand there and blink. She heard him release a grunt sound and witnessed him sway for a moment before his body made its way down to the floor as well. After he had fallen out of view, she shook her head and made her way to another position so that she could see what he was doing.

She spotted him on the ground using the pillow to rest his head upon. She placed her hands on her hips, "Ha ha ha." It was clearly a very fake laugh along with a sarcastic slow clap. "I know you could have avoided that. Honestly, that actually pissed me off more than the idea of you thwacking the pillow away."

"But hey, I'll play along," she said, moving to carefully stand over him for a moment, "Oh poor Kyle. He talked big, could become a big scary demon, but was done in by a simple pillow."

She quickly kneeled over him and placed her hands on one side of his torso and began to attempt to tickle his ribs. "I must avenge the pillow you are squishing with you head."

"Ha ha ha." It was clearly a very fake laugh along with a sarcastic slow clap. "I know you could have avoided that. Honestly, that actually pissed me off more than the idea of you thwacking the pillow away. But hey, I'll play along," Esme said, moving to carefully stand over him for a moment, "Oh poor Kyle. He talked big, could become a big scary demon, but was done in by a simple pillow."

Kyle squinted one eye open and grinned up at Esme. Before he could speak she had knelt over him and started attacking his sides with merciless fingers.

"I must avenge the pillow you are squishing with you head."

Unfortunately for the prone demon, Esme had inadvertently discovered a weakness that only one other being had discovered. Kyle, in his non-battle form, was horribly ticklish. He retained just enough presence of mind to keep his strength at human levels, but he writhed and twisted under Esme's questing fingers, gasping for breath between uncontrollable bursts of laughter. Esme seemed to delight in finding the spots that made him react the most, and since he was just in control enough not to exert himself, Kyle could do nothing but endure. His breath was coming in short gasps, and his sides ached from laughing when he just had to act.

"En...enough," he managed to gasp, moving quickly to capture Esme's hands. "I yield to the superior combatant. What would you have of me?"

He grinned up at Esme, who appeared a bit out of breath herself. "That is a lovely smile."

Fable Fable
(Nooooooo! You discovered his weakness!)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Who knew he'd be ticklish. X3 )

Esme grinned deviously once she found out he was actually ticklish. Oh she was gonna make him regret leaving himself unguarded like this. She nimbly moved her fingers finding the most sensitive spots and mercilessly attacked. She wasn't going to stop until he begged her to... or threatened he was going to pee if she didn't. She wondered how long it'd take before he would break and admit defeat. However, instead of sinply asking her to stop between breaths, he eventually managed to grasp her hands and restrain her tickling torture.

"En...enough," Kyle managed to gasp, moving quickly to capture Esme's hands. "I yield to the superior combatant. What would you have of me?"

She could help but grin down at Kyle in victory. Esme 1, Kyle 0.

"Hmm, asking you to do something completely embarrassing to yourself seems like a decent payment for a cease fire." Oh the list of things she could ask him to do to make a fool of himself, ha! She'd have to make sure she recorded whatever she managed to get him to do on her phone or something.. for posterity.

Kyle grinned up at Esme, who appeared a bit out of breath herself. "That is a lovely smile."

"Hey now, no flirting. My mother might castrate you," she said as a joke, trying to deflect the compliment as she moved to get up. Once she was steady on her own feet, she offered one of her hands to help Kyle up, he was possibly a bit tired from laughing so hard.

"Also, you should smile and laugh yourself more and stop being a brooding demon," she teased.

"It's not flirting if it's the truth, " Kyle gasped of between gulps of air, accepting the hand up gratefully. "And if you manage to keep reminding me that at least one person doesn't fear and hate me, I shall do my best to lighten up? "

Kyle bent down to retrieve the pillow that had started the whole episode, handing it to Esme with a flourish.

"Perhaps you should return your weapon of choice to its rightful resting place, " he said with a grin. "After all, we wouldn't want it to appear we had gotten into mischief."

Kyle took a moment to straighten his clothing. Liz would have assumed the worst, and he wasn't sure Esme's mother would be any better, despite her knowledge that not all demons lived up to the legends. Despite that sobering thought, the smile didn't leave his face. Esme smiling, faintly flushed from her attack on him, and not worrying about the uncertain future required that he smile back. This Esme was dangerous, the one he could become fond of very, very easily.

"I'm going to grab my guitar if you don't mind, " he said. "Your mother implied her trip would not be short, and I find I think better when I play. And I feel like playing something a bit more cheerful for some reason. "

Fable Fable
(Despite it all, demon is happy to meet happy Esme, even if only for a few minutes. )

"It's not flirting if it's the truth, " Kyle gasped of between gulps of air, accepting the hand up gratefully. "And if you manage to keep reminding me that at least one person doesn't fear and hate me, I shall do my best to lighten up? "

"Hmm, that sounds exactly what a flirtatious demon would say, 'it's not flirting if it's the truth.' I'll have to keep that for a pick up line. And yes, you used the phrase correctly." She watched him as he retrieved the tossed pillow from the floor and shook her head at his silliness.

"Perhaps you should return your weapon of choice to its rightful resting place, " he said with a grin. "After all, we wouldn't want it to appear we had gotten into mischief."

She took the pillow from him and placed it back where it belonged, "Right, best to cover any tracks of any shenanigans. The pillow might need to vanish, it was a witness after all." She checked her watch just as Kyle mentioned wanting to grab his guitar and that the trip for the pizza wasn't exactly a quick one.

"Careful, if you play something with any hint of cheerfulness, you'll lose your brooding guy cred and all your fan girls," she warned him while trying to keep a dead serious face. That only lasted for about thirty seconds before she cracked a small smirk.

Her phone rang noisily from her old bedroom, "That would be Liz. I seriously hope she didn't try to cook."

She walked in a somewhat hurried pace, not enough to say it was a run, but more of a walk of urgency in order to keep whoever was calling her from having to leave a voice message... or call her again as no one really left voice mails anymore. She managed to grab the phone on the last ring, "Why do I have the feeling you broke something or burnt something?"

"I don't always call you when something like that happens you know," Liz's voice snapped from the speaker phone Esme had put her on. "I was actually waiting for you to call me telling me to call you with some fake excuse so you could leave your mom's place early. Since you haven't actually called me for planning a quick escape, I guess things are going well?"

"Nope, not well at all actually," the cheerful mood she was in began to fade away as Liz's inquiry slapped her hard back into reality. "I-It's not something I really want to explain over the phone. Hell, there isn't much to explain considering my mother is keeping most of the details to herself."

"Well, not shocking considering how your mother is. One meeting with her is enough to last a lifetime. I wonder how terrified her students are of her. Anyway. I... actually... did... sorta.... break... the coffee marker today."

"What?! How?!"

"You know how the top of it had that teeny-tiny crack in the plastic at the top from when I dropped it? I... may have... gotten water into it...There, probably isn't a way to fix it huh?"

"Liz," Esme groaned out, "No, no there isn't. I swear Liz, if there is not a functioning coffee machine in the apartment when I get back, I am going to make you listen to 90's boy band music for twelve hours."

"Alright, alright, no need to whip out the big threats there. Crap, I gotta hang up, someone's calling me. See you when you get back."

Liz quickly hung up the phone and Esme glared at it as though trying to send her will into the device to ensure that Liz truly did replace what she had broken. She tossed her phone back on top of the bed and wandered back into the common living space of the house.

"I swear she breaks something at least once a month," she grumbled to herself.

"Careful, if you play something with any hint of cheerfulness, you'll lose your brooding guy cred and all your fan girls."

Esme's voice trailed after Kyle as he headed for the front door. The sound of Esme's phone ringing prompted a "That would be Liz. I seriously hope she didn't try to cook." from Esme as she headed to retrieve her phone. Kyle retrieved the guitar case from the car, ignoring the faint tingles as the wards tested him yet again. He could hear Esme's voicing coming faintly from somewhere farther back in the house, so he settled himself in one of the chairs in the room where his, interesting conversation with Esme's mother had taken place. Removing the guitar from its case, he carefully set the case where it would not inconvenience anyone moving through the room, then began to pluck gently as the strings while his mind raced.

"You will have to teach her how to defend herself," he thought as his fingers plucked out the quick runs and chords of 'Spring on the Plains'. The shamanistic tunes always seemed to focus his thoughts somehow. "Fortunately, most of your own training is in defense, unfortunately, you rely heavily on physical offense rather than magical. I wonder if witches on this world can learn the level of bodily control needed to employ shar'n'var techniques."

Before he could examine that thought further, he heard Esme muttering as she re-entered the main part of the house.

"I swear she breaks something at least once a month."

"I am assuming that the news from Liz is sub-optimal?" he asked, saddened by the much more somber mood Esme was projecting. His fingers shifted of their own accord, drawing forth the bouncing rhythms of 'The Barmaid' in an unconscious attempt to lighten Esme's mood rather than let her drift further and further into brooding. "I don't suppose that it's something that I'll be able to help with?"

He nodded at the guitar in his hands, then at the case in its out of the way corner.

"I rather think I can probably repair whatever she managed to break. My credentials speak for themselves."

Fable Fable
(Nooooo. No negative waves!)

"I am assuming that the news from Liz is sub-optimal? I don't suppose that it's something that I'll be able to help with? I rather think I can probably repair whatever she managed to break. My credentials speak for themselves."

Esme shrugged, "She managed to kill the coffee marker. And no, you don't need to fix it, she's going to replace it. Besides, even if you could fix it, she needs to resolve it herself like an adult."

She moved over to the couch and laid down on it, resting her arms behind her head and listened to the music Kyle was playing, "It's fine though and nothing new. Honestly, she probably just used it as an excuse to call me rather than text me and ask about the deal with my mother. She's terrible with subterfuge. She tries every single April Fool's Day to prank me and and it ends up backfiring. She once covered all the door knobs in Vaseline so you couldn't turn them... only to get stuck for a half hour because she trapped herself in my bedroom. She didn't think to use dirty clothes to wipe off the stuff so she could open the door."

Her eyes slid over to an old grandfather clock to see the time, she was actually fairly hungry so she was mentally urging her mother to hurry up with the pizza.

"Do you ever get homesick? I mean... you constantly mention how dangerous it is where your from, but you never mention missing it or your family."

Kyle chuckled softly as Esme enumerated Liz's lack of skill in certain areas. It seemed Liz was both more complicated and more simple than he had thought. Esme's next question brought him up short.

"Do you ever get homesick? I mean... you constantly mention how dangerous it is where your from, but you never mention missing it or your family."

"Well," Kyle replied slowly, thinking his answer through. "I suppose that my world itself isn't any more dangerous than your's, but the majority of the inhabitants won't hesitate to seek an advantage any way they can, up to and including killing anyone or anything in their way. Political intrigue is the way of the Court, which is why I go only when I must."

Kyle's fingers stilled for a moment as memories flooded in, but after a moment he resumed his playing. The music wasn't quite as cheerful as before, but it was by no means dark.

"My people are not immortal, but we are ageless. And when you have centuries to scheme and plan, the plots that result are, complex isn't a strong enough word. Class warfare can be quick and brutal, or so slow that glaciers would seem quick moving."

At Esme's confused look, Kyle realized he had left out much needed information.

"Sorry, I should clarify. My people are arranged into Classes and Houses. Class is purely a function of magical ability, where House is a function of, temperament. The Silent are much as Liz, incapable of using Power save through an external source. The Commons can, to a greater or lesser degree, use Power in the course of everyday tasks. Royalty are those whose personal Power is great enough that they can pierce the Veil between worlds without recourse to a Gate. Rank within each class is a function of cunning and Power. Those with less Power than those above them are constantly trying to improve their Rank, either by removing those above them, or stealing enough Power to depose them through direct means. It is a facet of our society I avoid to the best of my ability."

Kyle paused to give Esme a moment to digest what he had said before continuing.

"Then, there are the Houses, or Clans as some prefer to be called. The most ambitious, and most dangerous, is Clan Vyseriad. They practice the darkest of Artes, those which steal the very life from a victim and grant the Power so gained to another. Umm. Death Magic I believe you would call it. I imagine they are where your tales of 'soul stealing' demons originated. The incubus and succubus tales are probably based about House Calinathra. They raise their Power through, sensuality and draining of life potential. Rather than kill their victims outright, they steal Power in the form of potential years. House N'varin are the unrivaled masters of drawing Power from the world around them. They are also the most skilled in the raw uses of Power. Our Master Mages? Then there is Clan Jurla. You have seen my battle form, but I tell you truly, the forms those of Clan Jurla can assume make my form look like a child's toy. There are many more minor Houses and Clans, but those are the most powerful. They are the targets of all who seek to raise their status, and are the most jealous of their Rank and Power, which they will defend by any and all means they see fit. This usually means the absolute destruction of any they see as upstarts."

Fable Fable
(Want to give Esme a chance to react and ask questions. I hope that Lore is acceptable.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Yup, the lore is fine. It gives me things I could use >: D Mwahaha.)

Esme listened as Kyle broke down how his world functioned politically. He had started off in his confusing way as usual, then went deeper into what he had been trying to explain to her. He'd already mentioned Clan Vyseriad a few times since they had met, and clearly it was an insult to his person to be compare to them. Based on what he said of them, she understood. It would have probably been as insulting to her as being called a serial killer or something.

"I get Clan Vyseriad, you already went over that one a few times in an angry tiff. But, you didn't really answer my question about being homesick or missing your family. Not that I don't appreciate the information, but you didn't mention anything about yourself at all. Like who your Clan or House is. And if these Houses specialize in things, then wouldn't you also specialize in something? I mean, if I am being too nosy about personal things you don't want to tell me, that's fine. You can just tell me you'd rather not and I'd understand. But honestly, I pretty much know next to nothing about you it seems. I mean sure, I know you can cast magic, cook, like inedible spicy peppers, play guitar, and really seem to hate those Vyseriad."

She wiggled around slightly to try and find a more comfortable position on the couch. It was not made to be laid upon like the futon back at the apartment, it was more formal and stiff.

"I mean, I could do the whole silly question game. Ask you what your favorite color is and that kinda stuff. I mean, I could always guess your favorite color...mmm," she paused, "blue. Everyone seems to like blue. Maybe a specific shade. Cyan? Nah, too bright. Navy doesn't seem right either. Maybe steel or royal blue. Or perhaps I'm wrong and it's periwinkle." Her last color was just her trying to tease him for information by guessing a color that she assumed he probably despised.

"That's honestly probably as much as I could guess about you considering you seem to call things by completely different words. So trying to guess a favorite scent or flower would probably end up mostly as misses."

Last edited:
Kyle laughed ruefully as Esme complained about his overabundance of information.

"I assure you, it is all relevant. " he said as his laughter died. "After all, you need to understand what I grew up in and around so my answer makes sense to you. I am from one of those minor Houses that the Four see as upstarts. My house is Lenthandir, and my specialty is the study of the body. Unfortunately, the healing Artes are considered weak and beneath notice by most other Houses. Add to that an ambitious Sire and a pair of younger brothers with the morals of alley cats, and you can imagine that my home life is not without drama. Fortunately, my father and brothers spend most of their time away at court, leaving myself and my mother to manage the keep. I do miss my mother a bit, but without me there she will be in a better position should father and the boys return in my absence. "

Kyle stopped to think about how much of his past he was willing to share at this point, as well as what he thought Esme could handle. He didn't think that she was ready to know how his father and brothers had conspired to have his lover murdered just to score points with Clan Jurla.

"I suppose you could say I like to learn, " he said after a long moment. "I don't miss the intrigue, but I understood it. Here I could be attacked or killed because someone is pissed at life. That, I'm still coming to terms with. Oh, and my favorite color is actually amber, I have no idea what periwinkle is, assuming you didn't just make that up. "

Fable Fable
(A little more information trickles out.)

Last edited:

"So, you focus more on healing stuff huh? I mean, if you study the body honestly that's actually not something I'd think was weak. I'm not a medical student, but even I know about basic concepts that if applied as a means to hurt someone would be horrible. Also, you just giving me the idea of each House going about gaining power with a 'means to an end' philosophy is more than enough. Your family life sounds a bit rough though, the way you talk about your father and brothers, sounds way worse than any sibling rivalry."

Esme maneuvered and rolled her body so that she was laying on her stomach instead of her back, propping her head up with one of her hands as she looked at Kyle, "Amber huh? Damn I was way off, completely on the other side of the color wheel. And no, periwinkle is actually a color. It also happens to be the name of a flower. The color of the flower after its namesake I believe means something like 'early friendship.' Honestly floriography is confusing at time. Makes me wonder if you have different words for colors as well."

She paused for a moment and her eyes narrowed slight as she intensely regarded Kyle for a long moment in silence.

"Wait, that spell was supposed to basically give you the words from that dictionary... you aren't pulling my leg are you? Cause I will smother you with a pillow if I find out later on."

"Who? Me?" Kyle asked innocently. "Let's see... Periwinkle, vinca minor, vinca major, vinca herbacea. Also an edible marine gastropod mollusc, family Littoridinae. So, brown snails, pink or lavender blue flowers. So tell me, oh great scholar, how is a poor demon to make sense out of all that? Do you take pleasure in finding out how many ways you can describe a single thing? Although, I find the idea of early friendship rather attractive. "

Kyle stopped playing, holding the guitar in one hand while he tapped thoughtfully on his chin. Nodding suddenly, he thumped the guitar body loudly.

"Your argument is sound Barrister Esme," he said stentoriously. "I am convinced. From this day forth, my favorite color shall be declared as periwinkle! "

Kyle tried to keep a straight face, but it was beyond him. The look of mild outage and confusion on Esme's face was too much. He started to chuckle, but quickly found himself laughing, cares of the world momentarily forgotten.

Fable Fable
(You're going to make him hurt himself laughing, but Esme wanted to see this side of him. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Esme has declared war~ Lol)

Esme's expression was not one of amusement as Kyle rambled off the literal definition of periwinkle. She waited as he rambled on, though she did get his point that words could have multiple meanings. He could have just said so rather than this display. However, he then announced - quite loudly - that he would from this point forward claim it was his favorite color. She watched as his facial features twitched to try and keep his face from betraying the humor he felt. However, the facade failed and he bust out laughing.

"That's it, this is war," she declared, getting up quickly and grabbing whatever pillows were within reach. "You mock the honor of the color periwinkle," she said before thwacking the top of his head with a pillow, careful to avoid the guitar. She fled, grabbing a pillow to replace the one she started her attack with. She ran a small distance away before chucking her arsenal at him. She didn't linger long once she was out of pillows, darting away towards her bedroom where a plethora of pillows in a small reading nook were waiting.

She stumbled into the mound if pillows she had accumulated, nearly falling atop them. She grabbed a pillow and quickly turned to look at the open door, ready to launch the fluff filled fabric should Kyle pursue her.

"That's it, this is war." Esme declared. "You mock the honor of the color periwinkle."

Before Kyle could set aside his guitar, Esme had scooped up several pillows and immediately hit him over the head with one. She turned and fled, pausing to grab up another pillow before coming to a stop at the room's entrance. There she hurled her burden of pillows at Kyle, managing to strike him with most of them while avoiding hitting the guitar even once. Kyle saw her turn to flee once more, and noted which doorway she darted into as he rose, carefully placing the guitar in its case before gathering up the pillows that Esme had hurled at him.

"We are undone!" he declaimed, loudly enough that Esme was sure to hear. "Despite our efforts at conciliation, the Lady Periwinkle has rebuffed our overtures, choosing instead to assault the very person of a Prince of Amber. To arms! Let the forces of amber lay waste to the forces of periwinkle!"

While he spoke, Kyle bent and removed his boots, stalking towards the doorway Esme had vanished into on silent feet. He was quite certain that Esme would have an advantage on what was essentially her home ground, but he still had a trick or two to play. For just the barest instant his mind screamed a warning at him. Esme's mother was certain to take their current actions badly, especially if she walked in during the battle, but Kyle told that part of his mind to shut up and enjoy the moment. Esme seemed happy, he was happy, and the rest of the world could go to blazes.

Approaching the door, he couldn't quite see Esme, but he was certain she was laying in wait for him to step into her target zone. Kyle lobbed a pillow through the door, at about head height, as he went to one knee and peered around the door frame. Esme was ensconced in a truly impressive pile of pillows, looking ready for a protracted siege. His left hand snapped forward, sending a pillow spinning towards Esme's chest as his right readied another missile.

Fable Fable
(Esme has the ammo, Kyle has the cover.)

"We are undone!" Kyle declaimed, loudly enough that Esme heard it. "Despite our efforts at conciliation, the Lady Periwinkle has rebuffed our overtures, choosing instead to assault the very person of a Prince of Amber. To arms! Let the forces of amber lay waste to the forces of periwinkle!"

Esme's body tensed, ready and waiting for Kyle to show in the open doorway. She couldn't hear him walking, but she didn't let her guard down. If he hadn't shouted out his our war cry, she would have thought he had just ignored her and went to do his own thing while she stationed herself here like an idiot.

A pillow suddenly came at her, and out of reaction she lifted up her own to deflect the airborne pillow. It harmlessly bounced off her own pillow and fell to the floor, giving her more ammo at her disposal. She didn't move quick enough to block the next pillow that came her way, feeling the light pressure of being hit by something soft on her chest. She retaliated throwing her own pillow towards Kyle and dropping down onto her knees to try and use her stockpile for protection.

She grabbed the pillow he had struck her with and waved it threateningly, "Your pillow has betrayed you and joined my side." With that she basically tried to bury herself under the pillows to hide herself before Kyle could take a peek into her room again. It was the worse hiding place, but there was enough to cover her entire person, now she just had to stay very still and try to lure him in. Once he was no longer able to hide outside of the room, she could let loose and throw as many pillows from her pillow fort as she could.

Kyle had the satisfaction of seeing his missile bounce from Esme's chest as she concentrated on the first pillow he had thrown. He pulled back as her retaliatory pillow spun towards him, barely catching sight of her dropping behind her pile of ammunition before he lost sight of her as the door frame blocked his sight.

"Your pillow has betrayed you and joined my side." came from the room, followed by silence.

Kyle thought about what he had seen in his brief glimpse into the room, and decided that he was distinctly lacking in the ammunition department. Except for the single pillow he still held, he was unarmed. The only way to get more would be to subject himself to a barrage from the firmly ensconced Esme.

"Distinctly not dangerous," he thought, "Though rather undignified. I..."

Kyle's thoughts chopped off as a rather unorthodox strategy presented itself. Kyle felt in his pocket for his phone and smiled when he felt the familiar shape. Activating the device, he blessed Liz for her rather comprehensive lessons in its use. A couple of quick swipes brought up his music player, and after a moments perusal he queued up several songs in succession. He was quite certain that Shaman Belvarin wouldn't approve of what he was about to do, but that was fine. The shaman wasn't here.

"Wind Dance done to Fire and Flame," he mused, grinning mischievously. "I don't think Esme will know what to make of this."

Turning the volume up to full, Kyle pressed 'play' and dropped the phone into his pocket. As the driving beat of the song began to emanate from his phone, Kyle took a moment to feel the beat, then spun into the room.

Esme was starting to wonder what Kyle was up to when music she wasn't familiar with started up in the hallway. It started with some kind of driving techno beat, but quickly segued into guitar riffs so fast she could barely make out the individual notes, backed by thundering drums that seemed to be racing the riffs. On the heels of the eruption of music, Kyle spun into the room, a single pillow clutched in his right hand. Pure reflex took over, and Esme began to hurl pillow after pillow at Kyle's form. The only problem was, every time a pillow reached the point where Kyle was, he wasn't there any more. He twisted and spun, swaying out of the way of most of her missiles, and sweeping the ones that seemed certain to hit him out of the air with the pillow he held.

"Dancing!" flashed through Esme's mind as her hands continued to hurl pillows purely on autopilot. "He's dancing between my throws."

Despite the hard rock beat driving his steps, Kyle was flowing smoothly as he evaded the barrage. It was like trying to hit a summer's breeze as it flowed around you.

Fable Fable
(I figure he's about half way into her room, and she's about half way through her ammo.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Sorry it's short. X3)

Esme glared at Kyle as he danced and dodged her attacks, to some unknown song no less, but at least he was embracing modern music. He was getting closer and she was running out of ammo. From what she could remember, usually defense won in these circumstances, which means she had to change her tactic. She paused her attacks, hopefully doing so would confuse him slightly. She threw two pillows simultaneously, though in slightly different directions trying to force Kyle to stop around the center area of the room.

She grabbed two more pillows and jumped out from behind her arsenal and charge forward, not throwing the pillows but rather holding onto them for melee purposes. Once she was in close enough range, she set forth in her attempt at pummeling him with the wielded pillows. She didn't get in many hits though, instead of blocking he grappled her. She yanked back hard trying to break loose from his grasp.

"Shit," she cursed under her breath, "Fine then." She stopped trying to pull away and instead moved one of her feet to wrap around the back of his own, twisting her body so that when she went to knock out of foot from under him with her own, it's twist him to fall backwards.

Kyle kept his mind in the state of detached focus that the Wind Dance required, noting the pillows as they flew towards him absently. They were avoided or knocked from their paths as they came close enough to become part of the dance. Apparently this tactic caused some small consternation in Esme, as the fusillade paused for a moment before a pair of pillows flew out bracketing Kyle's moving form. As he avoided the thrown pillows, Esme left her hiding place and charged forward, a pillow in each hand. She immediately began to strike out at him with the fluffy weapons, scoring a few hits before Kyle dropped his single pillow and wrapped his arms around Esme, preventing further blows. For a moment she struggled to escape his hold, then her stance shifted.

"Shit," she cursed under her breath, "Fine then."

Kyle could feel one of her legs snaking behind one of his own in a classic setup for a take down. In moments she would shift her weight and attack his other foot, trying to knock him off balance. At that point he would be driven over backwards across the fulcrum of her forward leg.

"Lady Periwinkle," he said reproachfully as he abandoned the steps of his dance. "If you wished to dance, all it would have taken was a simple request."

As he spoke, Kyle dropped his right hand to his pocket, tapping on the phone within several times. At the same time he put his weight onto the leg Esme was trying to sweep and twisted his hips towards the young woman. The resulting motion tugged her leg from behind his as she was lifted up slightly by his left arm, which released her arm to snake up to her shoulder and pull her firmly to his chest. As her feet came back down, the music coming from Kyle pocket shifted to a gentle ballad, and Kyle captured Esme's left hand with his right. In the space of a couple of seconds, the pillow fighting duo went from mock-combatants to the opening position of a sh'lira couples dance as gentle music swelled from the phone in Kyle's pocket.

"Would my Lady care to lead?" he asked quietly, looking into Esme's rather stunned eyes.

Fable Fable
(Surprise!)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Awkward Esme is awkward.)

"Lady Periwinkle," Kyle said reproachfully as he abandoned the steps of his dance. "If you wished to dance, all it would have taken was a simple request."

Esme's lips parted slightly as she began to try to stutter out a protest regarding his tease about her wanting to dance. He shifted his weight to prevent her from knocking his foot out from under him. His series of movements were quick and the next thing she knew she was in what seemed to be a dancing position and the music had changed from rock to something softer.

"Would my Lady care to lead?" Kyle asked quietly.

"W-What," Esme said slightly bewildered as she tried to understand just how he had managed to change their pillow fight into a dance invitation. She felt embarrassed being this physically close to him which resulted in a nervous flush developing on her cheeks. "I don't dance. I never even went to my high school dances. Not even Prom, just to even go to say I at least went. So, asking me to dance, let alone lead one is foot suicide probably. B-Besides, you probably do fancy ballroom type dancing."

She determine a retreat was in order. She was getting all flustered for no good reason and telling herself this would be the worst thing for her mother to see when she got home. Her mom had made it pretty clear she didn't like Kyle's kind. She awkwardly laughed as she slowly tried to back away. Her heart raced anxiously as she tried to laugh off the situation she was in. They had been joking just fine now, but these types of jokes only made her - not exactly fearful - but rather more.. diffident.

Despite the Seal and the odd nature of the bond between them, Kyle could feel Esme's mood shifting. He sighed, releasing his gentle hold on her hand as she backed away. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and shut off the music, taking care to move slowly.

"I'm sorry, " he said. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. "

Kyle began to move about the room, gathering the pillows and returning them to the sadly denuded pile.

"I suppose that I was playing right into the whole 'demonic seducer' trope," Kyle said trying to keep the bitterness out of his voice. "I'm going to have to think and rethink everything I do."

Kyle paused for a second, a pillow in each hand, then tossed them unerringly onto the pile.

"If you'll show me which ones go in the other room, I'll return them to their homes. "

Fable Fable
(Contrite demon is contrite. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Esme has attempted to flee and has failed. X3 )

Esme felt a bit bad after she saw Kyle's own mood shift. She sighed and felt like she had handled her explanation poorly. She watched as he began to pick up the pillows by himself and when he spoke, his tone made her frown.

"I suppose that I was playing right into the whole 'demonic seducer' trope," Kyle said trying to keep the bitterness out of his voice. "I'm going to have to think and rethink everything I do. If you'll show me which ones go in the other room, I'll return them to their homes."

"If I had assumed that was some attempt at 'demonic seduction' I would have made sure to physically harm you. Pardon me for being an awkward human being who has issues with being within a certain proximity of," she paused and let out a frustrated groan. "Look, my awkwardness has nothing to do with what or who you are, rather it's your mannerisms."

She habitually ran her hand through her hair as she mentally argued with herself over even bothering to clarify why she'd been an inelegant mess when he asked about dancing. She opened and closed her mouth a few times, but couldn't decide what to say or even how to say it.

"Look, I'll be blunt. It's going to be as embarrassing as hell for me to admit any of this, so if you laugh or react in any way that pisses me off, you'll be finding your own way home and locked out of the apartment. I dislike flirting and what you'd probably call 'romantic gestures' because I suck at deciphering them. Guys here flirt and lead girls on just to hurt them. That's really the only way to sum it up. I'm not saying you're doing that, hell I you'd have no romantic interest in me. I'm not some svelte demoness," she tried to joke.

"Forget it, I am probably making very little sense and I'm apparently currently unable to will myself to go any deeper on the subject."

She went to leave the room then, not even answering his question about where the pillows go. After a few seconds she walked back in and blurted out, "Okay, so you're an attractive guy. When an attractive guy flirts with me, my brain understand the situation for what it is, but my stupid heart gets all swoony. So, I just have a knee-jerk reaction to cease any situation that leads to a misunderstanding. Yup."

With that she turned to leave once again, hoping to end this very humiliating encounter. She cleared her throat and cursed the fact that she left her purse, phone, and keys in the room. She didn't plan well for an escape to go somewhere where she'd be able to avoid Kyle for a couple of hours. So, she ended up going to hide out in the small guestroom. "I explained that so badly. Why did I even bother trying?"

Kyle was frozen into stunned silence as Esme essentially bared a part of her soul to him. Someone or some situation had hurt her, badly. The casual way she said that men on this world would deliberately cause harm by playing on affections chilled him to the bone. Even her statement that he most likely wasn't doing so was followed up with a self-depreciating comment about how she wasn't up to his standards. Esme couldn't even acknowledge that she was actually telling Kyle a lot about what was bothering her. She started to leave the room, then turned back in for a moment.

"Okay, so you're an attractive guy. When an attractive guy flirts with me, my brain understand the situation for what it is, but my stupid heart gets all swoony. So, I just have a knee-jerk reaction to cease any situation that leads to a misunderstanding. Yup."

With those words, Esme all but bolted from the room. Kyle could tell that she hadn't left the house, but a closing door told him she had taken refuge in another room he had not yet seen. A large part of him wanted to rush out and find her, shaking her and telling her to stop doubting her own worth, to realize that no matter what the ignorant males of this world did, she was so far above...

Kyle stopped himself from doing just that with the iron control that hard, painful lessons had driven deep into his very being. Esme was not of his world, his culture, and she was her own person. He rather doubted that his storming in on her and telling her she was being far, far too hard on herself would do anything but anger her, or make her doubt herself even more. His own experiences with, liaisons was limited, and his one experience with something deeper had cost his love her life, so he doubted that he was much of an authority on the social workings of this alien world. Still, there was something about the barely hidden pain in Esme's voice that demanded that he do something. He just had no idea what.

Kyle began to move again, finishing his self-imposed task of straightening the room. He tried to remember the fabric patterns he had seen in the other room, and retrieved the pillows he thought would match from the pile, taking them with him as he left Esme's, and it had to be Esme's, room. He noted that he had gotten his choices mostly right, though he thought that there were still a couple missing. A problem for later. Casting about, he noticed a closed door further down the hall, and listening carefully, he thought he could just hear breathing coming from within. He took care to actually make a little noise as he moved up to the door, seating himself beside it and leaning up against the wall.

"I don't understand this world," he said, as though he were speaking to a friend, making his voice just loud enough to penetrate the door. "Part of me wants to, so I don't make mistakes, but another part of me wants nothing to do with it. I, can imagine someone playing upon the emotions of another for gain. That happens on my world. What I can't wrap my mind around is playing upon someone's emotions only for the purpose of causing pain. I'm certainly not saying that people don't get hurt, but it is never the end game. With my people, it tends to make us, a bit jaded, and also very, very direct. When we wish to go beyond the casual, we say so. Otherwise, if we danced around the topic, it could become a weapon to be used against us. This I know through a hard learned lesson in pain."

Kyle paused for a moment, wondering if Esme was listening on the other side of the door. Wondering if he was making any sense at all. He doubted it, but he had started down this road, and he intended to walk its length.

"I don't know who or what has given you such a low opinion of yourself," he continued after a moment, "But you are a lovely person, both in body and in spirit. There are many svelte demonesses who lack even a fraction of your inner fire and passion, and they are lovely in form, but less than human in all other aspects. I have known you only a week, but you have made me comfortable enough upon this world, that despite all else, I am not so eager to return to my home world."

Kyle couldn't help the wry chuckle that escaped him as he contemplated his next words.

"I imagine the reason your mother doesn't like my kind," he said. "Is that despite our differences, we are not so different. This is my normal form, the other form you have seen, and the others I can assume, are just that, assumed. We look much as you do, though we act differently. We, reproduce the same as you, and according to the lore I have unearthed in my studies, we are not, incompatible. I imagine she fears I would take an interest in you, and..."

Kyle paused a long moment before continuing, but he had made his decision to be forthcoming.

"And, she would not be wrong. I have seen flashes of something about you that, make me wonder. In all honesty, were we not laboring under the geas of Pact and Sealing, I should like to learn about you for the purpose of possibly seeking your company in a more, social manner. I know it's not romantic, but it is the way of my world. Your strength of character, and the happiness that I saw for just a few moments earlier this evening... I would like to see you happy once more. I would like to see you out from under this situation, and I should like to meet the you that exists without the weight of the world upon your shoulders. Gah.. I am making a mess of this. Why can't I speak what is so plain and obvious in my mind? I... I'm sorry if I said anything that hurt or offended you Esme. I'll shut up now."

Fable Fable
(Kyle is just as bad as Esme at, things.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( When two awkward people talk, lel)

Esme stood in the room replaying her idiocy in her mind. She told herself he didn't mean anything by it, he didn't know any better because it was probably perfectly normal where he from from, that it was her own personal interpretation that resulted in that awkward mess. She had tried to be blunt and probably just made an ass of herself. Oh man, she had made an ass of herself for sure. She mouthed the words 'What the fuck?' to herself a few times trying to figure out a way to figure out a way to clear up her statement. She'd tried to be honest and ended up spouting nonsense and things she probably should have been more careful about. She had no reason to be nervous, he wasn't interested in her like that, they were just goofing around. She was the one who read it wrong and imposed her personal problems on him.

She paced slightly before deciding to lay down on the guest bed and stare blankly at the ceiling. She'd calm down and just pretend like she hadn't done anything embarrassing, maybe he'd feel some pity and not bring it up...

She heard Kyle approach the closed bedroom door. She had expected him to come in without being invited and being miffed at her for basically fleeing. Instead, she heard what sounded like a body against the wall outside. Her body stiffened slightly as he began to speak on the other side, she wasn't sure to to expect him to say, but she couldn't help but physically tense. However, his tone wasn't negative or threatening. He tried to explain his view on things regarding things she'd mentioned in her efforts to try and explain her reaction wasn't because of what he was.

Her cheeks were still flushed since her mind liked to torture her by reliving humiliating instances, and Kyle's words were not helping that, especially as he started talking about things that were similar between their races. She really didn't want to hear about things like whether or not they were incompatible. She'd learned that pretty much when he showed up nude in the apartment. When he mentioned the reason why he thinks her mom dislikes him and suggests her mom fears him being interested her, she turned her head to look at the door and wondered where exactly he was going with this.

She furrowed her brows in confusion, not really getting what he was saying at all. He was saying things like her mom not being wrong about him taking an interest in her and then wanting to learn more about her in a social manner. It wasn't making much sense to her in what message he was trying to convey.

"You didn't say anything that offended or hurt me. There are just certain things that trigger what us humans call a defense mechanism. You have your assumed forms when you get defensive, right? I have an instinct that kicks in to keep people away. That's probably the best I can do to try and explain so you understand. I barely understand my own world, so I can't explain why people do the things they do, beyond my own personal experience, but I'm just one person out of billions. You might come to find you experience things completely differently than myself. Actually, I'm pretty certain you will and already have. As far as getting to know me in a social manner, isn't that sort of already what we're doing? I'll be honest, what you said about that is confusing. Socializing here is just... talking, hanging out, that kind of thing. And even though you said you're not eager to go home, once the Seal is removed, it means the Pact thing can be resolved, unless I misunderstand that still. It was my fault, my ignorance and drunken stupidity that got you stuck here in the first place, so I'll do what I can to correct my mistake. And believe me, I am very sympathetic with suddenly not being able to get out the words you want to say."

She sighed as she realized she was going to have to eventually leave the bedroom. This was where Kyle was going to probably stay the night, if he opted to do that instead of camping outside. She'd much rather just sleep in her bedroom than in here. Not to mention she could call Liz and speak to her about what she should do. She sat up, then got off the bed and cautiously went over to the closed door, trying to sneak over to it for some silly reason.

"Look, I am going to come outside. Maybe we could just drop and subject and move onto other things to discuss."

Kyle's cheeks felt like they were on fire as Esme replied to his ramblings through the door. Goddess, but he had no clue what he was doing or saying here. He had probably made things so much worse. His shoulders slumped as he turned away from the door, but Esme's next words froze him in place.

"Look, I am going to come outside. Maybe we could just drop and subject and move onto other things to discuss."

"That would, please me greatly." Kyle said, unable to keep the relief out of his voice. "I, don't know what I'm saying or doing here. In four thousand of your years, I've only had one friend, and... I don't know how to be one."

As he waited for Esme to open the door, Kyle found himself fidgeting. Nervous. He was afraid that he would see the fear in Esme's eyes that he saw in Liz's, and the distaste. For some reason, that thought bothered him, much more than Liz's censure did.

"If you could, maybe, help me?" Kyle asked hopefully, despite the nerves knotting his guts. "And if I get, too romantic? you can just thump me on the head rather than letting me make you uncomfortable?"

Fable Fable
(Clueless demon is scared, and he doesn't know why.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Áinfean's return! )

"That would, please me greatly." Kyle said, relief in his voice. "I, don't know what I'm saying or doing here. In four thousand of your years, I've only had one friend, and... I don't know how to be one."

Esme had forgotten Kyle was, well ancient was only the polite way she could put it, compared to her. How anyone could say they were that old and to only ever have one friend, Esme could perhaps say the same thing with her and Liz. She sighed to herself as she stared into the door, clearly hesitating about opening it.

"If you could, maybe, help me?" Kyle asked. "And if I get, too romantic? you can just thump me on the head rather than letting me make you uncomfortable?"

She was going to have to put on a brave face when she emerged from the room, tamp down any emotions as best as she could. She didn't like this exposed feeling whatsoever. She inhaled deeply, then exhaled as she fully opened the door, not too quickly or slowly.. She wasn't going to open it so slowly to show she was anxious or just a crack to show a hesitation. It needed to be like ripping of a bandaid, get it over with because eventually she was going to come out anyway.

"I'm probably the worst person to ask to learn friendship from considering my own record regarding having them. Honestly, Liz is a better option of a friendship-teacher," she said in what she believed as a normal of a tone as possible. As far as being 'too romantic' why would you be trying to do that anyway? But sure, you overstep any boundaries and I'll physically assault you."

Her last line said as a joke. She honestly would just sound a physical retreat. "Since we're changing the subject, this is the guest room. You can stay in here, unless you'd really rather camp outside. Your choice."

She stopped speaking and her eyes went towards the direction of the front door as the sound of it opening and closing could be heard. Her mother was home. Esme quickly grabbed Kyle and tried to drag him into the guestroom as quietly as she could. "Shit," she whispered, "Just... stay in here for a minute or two after I leave. The last thing you want is her to think we were doing things."

After she warned him, she crept out of the room and a few steps into the hallway before walking normally into the kitchen where her mother was setting down two boxes of pizza. "That was longer that expected," she idly commented as she leaned against the front of the fridge.

"One of the ovens broke and since it is the weekend, they were very behind. You think they would understand the concept of informing customers of an increased wait time. Why are you so flushed?"

"Flushed? Probably from being outside. And an oven broke? Those poor pitiful college students," Esme commented before standing up to grab a slice of pizza. If she had food in her mouth, she could get away with not having to talk as much. She'd be sure to chew a bit more slowly.

"Where's Kyle?" Áinfean asked suspiciously. Esme chewed a few times, then swallowed before she spoke, "Probably in the guestroom. I said he could stay there if he wanted. Unless you're going to seriously make him sleep outside."

The suspicion didn't leave her mother's eyes, but she didn't inquire any further, picking up a slice of pizza herself and placing in on a flimsy and disposable paper plate. Her mother never liked to be bothered using real plates whenever they ate pizza. She called it 'needlessly messy for junk food.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back