• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Lore
Here
Kyle was glad that Esme had decided to call a taxi for their trip to the train station. He was aware that their trip on the train, which his information about this world equated to a slip carriage, would be several hours long, and he really didn't want to begin it by trying to keep track of their belongings on a bus. They made their way through security with no problems, his ID passing muster handily. Esme seemed to know where they should be, so he followed her lead as she lead them to their seats.

"I think the estimated time for this is about 5 hours. If you get thirsty of hungry, there is a dinner car in the back," Esme said, then turned her attention to her phone.

Kyle settled in to the surisingly comfortable seat, though he supposed that if people were expected to sit in these things for hours at a time they had best have a certain level of comfort, and took stock. He supposed he could ask Esme for more information about her home town and why she despised it so, but over the last week he had discovered that if Esme didn't wish to speak about something, that was that. If she decided to tell him anything on her own, he would be grateful, but he would not push the issue. From comments Esme had made, he rather thought that her relationship with her mother was tempestuous at best, but he still knew so little about humans, so similar to and yet so different from his people, that he could well be wrong. He stole a glance at Esme, but she was still in communion with her phone. Ah well.

"Perhaps before we arrive," he said quietly, "You can tell me a bit more about the potential hornet's nest we're about to walk into. It is, of course, your choice. For now, I have this to occupy my mind."

Kyle held up a book on herbalism that Liz had left lying about the apartment. Unlike most of her books that he had seen, this one was well laid out with color plates, scientific names of the various plants, and their known chemical properties as well as their uses in folk medicine. He had already found several equivalents to the plants of his realm, and was looking forward to seeing what else he could learn about this lands flora. He was already certain that he could concoct some of the most basic balms and tinctures for easing of the muscles and helping with headaches, and he wondered what else he could safely make here.

"And yes, I do have permission to have this with me," he said, not adding that the cost of his having the book was to teach Liz how to make a couple of basic balms. Liz was still standoffish, and he rather doubted that the situation would change anytime soon, but her asking him for information was a start, and there were several balms that she could make without the slightest trace of magic which would be useful in day to day life.

Kyle settled down to read as a voice announced the imminent departure of the train from the station. He hoped for an uneventful trip.

Fable Fable
(Hope you're doing as well as you can be all things considered. Take your time, as I know you have a lot to do/catch up on besides our little adventure. Timeskip is at your discretion.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Sorry for the delay. I managed to rip part of my nail into the nail bed and had to hunt down some nail glue. >_> It was hard to type. Snude is slang for rude/snide.)

"Perhaps before we arrive," he said quietly, "You can tell me a bit more about the potential hornet's nest we're about to walk into. It is, of course, your choice. For now, I have this to occupy my mind. And yes, I do have permission to have this with me."

Esme wasn't sure there was much point in sharing anything about her mother. She didn't even understand her mother most of the time anyway, and she'd known her mother her entire life. Sure, she knew her mother's temperament, but she figured that Kyle had concluded her mother was a bit... invasive in Esme's life at times, and demanding.

"There isn't much to add to what you've probably assumed. As long as you don't expect a warm welcome and aren't bothered by snude remarks you should survive this visit mostly mentally intact. My mom has always disliked strangers is the best way to put it, and she views pretty much almost everyone as strangers."

Esme hadn't planned on saying anything about the book. She was a bit surprised Liz shared it with Kyle, but perhaps that was a good sign of some tolerance from her that may mean a better relationship between the two of them was possible. Esme didn't hope for that, but it'd be a nice thing if it did happen. She was just too much of a pessimistic realist to hope they'd ever be friends at some point.

She spent the trip studying. Just because she was visiting her mother didn't mean her classes wouldn't progress without her. So, she'd study, work on some of her assignment and projects since she had a few hours to kill before they'd arrive in Salem. She did take a quick break half-way through their trip, dozing off slightly as she listened to music from her refurbished iPod. It was just a quick cat nap of about 30 minutes, and when she awoke she went to the diner car and then returned with a steaming cup of coffee with a secure lid to keep it from spilling. A few sips and arm stretch later, she resume studying until there was an announcement regarding their stop being soon.

Once they'd gotten off the train, gathered their things and Esme got the rental car, she then drove them the hour drive to her hometown of Corvallis, Oregon. It was a college town, so most of the residents were either students or taught at the university. Her mother lived in the more rural area of the town, so she drove down a long rural road and then down a tree-lined driveway before pulling up to her mother's house.

Esme got out of the car, happy to be out of the car and traveling done. She opened the trunk of the car and retrieved her things, letting Kyle grab his, and then made her way up to the front door. She didn't bother to knock, instead she simple opened the door and walked in. Her mother had clearly renovated the house a bit, there were new light hardwood floors, the walls had been re-painted and the kitchen had clearly been completely re-done since her last visit. Her mother didn't seem to be inside, so Esme plopped her stuff onto the floor unceremoniously and motioned for Kyle to follow after her.

(Quick note, Kyle can't actually enter the house right now. He'd notice some wards on the door to keep out the uninvited as well as witches and demons.)

Kyle got his wish for an uneventful trip fulfilled, but his quest for more information about their destination remained, sadly, unfulfilled. Esme had immersed herself in work she had brought with her, leaving Kyle to his own devices after a few terse sentences at the start of the trip. Kyle had quickly made his way through Liz's book, filing the information carefully away for future use, then had turned his attention unobtrusively to the other occupants of the train.

"Regular folks," he thought to himself. "Nothing out of the ordinary here."

As the train rumbled onward, Kyle found himself wondering yet again what he was headed into. After a little consideration, he stretched out his senses and his Power, gathering in the ambient energies of his fellow passengers, the moving train, and the land through which they traveled. All the little bits of energy added up quite quickly, and he settled back as though he were sleeping while he channeled the Power he collected into the artifacts he wore. He might not know what he was speeding towards, but he was not going to be unprepared.

When the train dropped them off Kyle was refreshed and recharged to a level he hadn't been since arriving on this world. He gathered his belongings and trailed behind Esme as she went about the task of procuring their further transportation, then loaded their items into the trunk of the rental car, and settled into the passenger seat as Esme navigated them through the unfamiliar, to him, town and out to a more rural area. Eventually Esme turned down a tree lined drive and pulled to a stop in front of an unassuming house that appeared neatly kept. She gathered her items from the trunk and headed up the steps and into the home, leaving Kyle to extricate himself from the car and gather his own belongings.

As he turned from the trunk of the car and got his first good look at the house, he could See the warding spells wreathing the building. So, definitely the abode of a witch. Reading the structure of the spells, he could see that they would not allow passage of one not invited in, and were especially sensitive and reactive to those with Power. Inside the house, Esme made a 'come on' gesture at him, but Kyle set his bag and guitar down beside the car and settled onto the warm hood.

"No, I don't think so Esme," he said as he continued to study the spell-work. "It would appear that your mother is indeed a witch, and does not wish anyone to enter her home uninvited. The house is warded quite thoroughly, and you lack the authority to invite me in. I do not wish to attempt to force my way inside, as that would show me to be a Practitioner at best, and perhaps cause injury to the one who placed the wards should I employ enough Power to breach them, which would definitely be against your interests. I'll just wait here until your mother returns, and we shall have to see if I am invited within."

Fable Fable
(Not exactly the welcome mat there.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(I feel so bad for the gaps between posts. Just super stressed and tired.)

"No, I don't think so Esme," Kyle said as he continued to study the spell-work. "It would appear that your mother is indeed a witch, and does not wish anyone to enter her home uninvited. The house is warded quite thoroughly, and you lack the authority to invite me in. I do not wish to attempt to force my way inside, as that would show me to be a Practitioner at best, and perhaps cause injury to the one who placed the wards should I employ enough Power to breach them, which would definitely be against your interests. I'll just wait here until your mother returns, and we shall have to see if I am invited within."

Esme's brows furrowed at Kyle's words; warded, invite, injury. Basically, none of what he just told her sounded good, not to mention he pretty much confirmed a nagging suspicion she had regarding her mother. She didn't want to assume her own mother was responsible for the magical seal on her person, but right now she couldn't deny that this was the most plausible theory right now. However, she needed to deal with the issue of Kyle not being able to enter the house. Her mother wasn't inside, but she was home.

"Give me a moment," Esme said as she went deeper into the house. There were large french doors that opened up the the large secluded backyard. There on the cobble porch her mother was sitting at a small patio furniture setting, reading a book and drinking tea. Esme opened the doors and went outside, crossing her arms over her chest as the older woman with salt and pepper hair turned to look at her.

"Ah, you've arrived. You didn't text me when your train arrived. I could have picked you up at the station you know," the woman said, though she remained seated as she set down her book.

"Then I wouldn't have the ability to flee if I needed to. I have a... guess, as to why you made a sudden fuss about me coming home. However, before we get into that, you'll need to invite my friend inside."

The woman's eyes narrowed at Esme, clearly unhappy with the demand from her child. She stood up, and while she was slightly shorter than Esme, she was still a fiercely intimidating woman. "Friend? Hmph, we'll see."

She entered the house, went through the front door and stood just outside of the threshold as she stared down at Kyle. Esme followed after her, not sure what to expect from her mother. The woman glared at Kyle and scowled at him.

"That demon will not set foot in this place."

"W-What? How the hell would- I mean, why are you calling him a demon?" Esme tried to cover up her mistake.

"Darling, I'm not senile nor stupid and neither are you so stop acting like it. He did a decent job trying to suppress his... otherness. The problem is, there are still obvious tells, ways to see beyond what is only skin deep.

Kyle frowned slightly. Strange. Somehow she had managed to pierce an active Cloaking spell. Under the Cloak, his shields hardened into being. The first was nothing but tissue, the kind of shield a beginner would create, but what formed under it was anything but. Anyone who cast at him now would be in for a very unpleasant surprise. After a moment more of consideration, he decided to investigate a little bit.

"Yà ráà binda," he said in the old tongue. "Yà mannaàr goàgá. Yà mennt heiskr gørà ykkarr dóttir ambátt."

At the older woman's look of incomprehension Kyle snorted explosively.

"So," he said. "You use the Old Tongue, yet you do not understand it. I suppose I should not be surprised."

Rising from the hood of the car, he moved forward, stopping just outside the boundary of the wards.

"Forgive me Esme," he said apologetically, "But this is the way I can best serve our interests."

Turning to the older woman, he spoke directly to her in a cool tone.

"Since you are a witch, I shall speak plainly. Someone, and I pray it was not you, has wrought an abomination upon your daughter. Now two lives are bound up in that which is an affront to existence. We may discuss this away from prying ears and eyes as civilized beings, we may conduct our business here, or we may depart. And before you bluster and make threats, I suggest you Look at your daughter before you say that which may not be unsaid."

Fable Fable
(The translation is. You wish(ed) binding. You accomplished plasphemy. You art a foolish making your daughter bondswoman. He is PISSED, but being civil for Esme's sake... and her mother might not have had anything to do with it. Might.. Yeah, right.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(My internet is working so gonna try and get this posted and hope I have enough mbps it'll go through before it dies again. T_T)

"Yà ráà binda," he said in the old tongue. "Yà mannaàr goàgá. Yà mennt heiskr gørà ykkarr dóttir ambátt."

Esme's mother recognized the language, but that didn't mean she understood it. However, she clearly didn't appreciate the foreign tongue being spoken in her presence and she frowned deeply at the male. She crossed her arms over her chest and an air of irritation and impatience emanated from her posture.

"So," Kyle said. "You use the Old Tongue, yet you do not understand it. I suppose I should not be surprised. Forgive me Esme, but this is the way I can best serve our interests. Since you are a witch, I shall speak plainly. Someone, and I pray it was not you, has wrought an abomination upon your daughter. Now two lives are bound up in that which is an affront to existence. We may discuss this away from prying ears and eyes as civilized beings, we may conduct our business here, or we may depart. And before you bluster and make threats, I suggest you Look at your daughter before you say that which may not be unsaid."

The elderly woman's eyes narrowed darkly at Kyle at his words. Esme looked back and forth between the two clearly pissed off individuals and wondered how far this was going to go. The last thing she wanted to happen was for someone to get hurt, and she also worried that Kyle could get upset enough he'd morph into that other form. If he did that, and if her mom was really some powerful witch, she had a feeling there might be a resulting battle.

"My my my, you assume very much," Esme's mother replied coldly, "Who says I've ever used that cursed language in the first place? If you was civility, your tone indicates otherwise. As far as entering my home, you'd have to be willing to accept a formal pact. While you are within this domain, the area of the land that is owned by my family, you may not use any form of magic or casting, including the use of magical artifacts. Should you go against this requirement, you'll be expelled from here and your invitation rescinded. To make this fair, as long you are a guest, you will not be harmed while on this property."

Esme's mother summoned a old ink well and sheet of paper, which floated easily out as the door open and closed on its own. Some ink left the well and began to form words on the sheet of paper with the terms of the agreement. The woman then put a drop of ink on her thumb and then pressed it into the bottom of the sheet. Once she was done, it effortlessly glided over to where Kyle stood, awaiting his own acceptance of the pact. Esme stared at her mother and then to the floating paper and ink, all doubt that her mother being a witch vanished and she let out a long sigh and ran a hand through her hair.

(The pact is written in Proto-Celtic.)

Kyle raised one eyebrow as the woman's claimed ignorance of the Old Tongue. Interesting. Of course, one need not speak a language to inscribe runes in that language, though one must have ultimate faith in the translation provided. No matter. Eyeing the floating sheet of paper, Kyle let his eyes drift over the words, comparing the written text to the witch's words.

"Taobh istigh de na tailte seo ní oibreoidh mé aon draíocht. Ar dhíbirt, aontaím leis seo, agus ní chuirfear bac ar ais ó dhul i ngleic dom an bhriseadh an mionn seo." he mused. "Fairly straightforward, but no."

"Nay." he said aloud. "Thy terms are too broad. I reserve the right to defend myself should any spell be cast my way. I also reserve the right to defend Esme with all the powers at my disposal should she come under attack. Barring those conditions I will agree, but only for the term of this visit."

The older woman frowned, but considered Kyle's words carefully.

"As long as it is truly self defense," she said finally. "And someone picking up a knife to eat with in your presence is not a threat."

"I shall seek no excuse to cry foul," Kyle replied. "Though I would consider any spell cast against me without permission an attack and react accordingly."

After considering his words, the older woman nodded sharply. Another blob of ink left the inkwell, adding another line of text to the contract. After reading the additional wording, Kyle nodded.

"I accept your terms," he said, dampening his own thumb with ink and pressing it beside the witch's print. He could feel the Power settle over them and shrugged internally. At least she was being rational, if not welcoming. Her seeming ignorance of the Old Tongue bothered him a bit considering the runes upon her daughter's back, but perhaps time would make things clear. Meanwhile...

Kyle returned to the car and opened the guitar case, exposing the instrument. Pulling out his wallet, he laid it atop the guitar then sat on the hood to remove his boots. Boots, belt, and the jewelry joined the wallet on top of the guitar, then he carefully stepped aside.

"These are the items imbued with Power that I carry upon me," he said, gesturing to the small pile of his belongings. "The personal items are bespelled to be protected from theft, damage, and to find their way back to me if someone does manage to take them from me. The jewelry acts as a reservoir of power, and when worn generates a Cloak to hide my aura from casual discovery. That effect I do not yet know how to negate, so if that would be considered a breach of our Contract, I shall leave them in the car. As to the rest, I leave that to your judgement. If you wish me to leave all of them here, I ask permission to Ward the car ere I enter your abode."

Fable Fable
(Irritated demon is trying his best to be cooperative and non-threatening. BTW, does Esme's mom know the characteristics of the various demon Houses?)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Playing internet roulette. Still randomly lose my connection sadly. My new normal. As far as what Esme's mother knows, she knows of certain houses, but not all of them.)

Esme's mother stoically watched as Kyle agreed to the new terms and then proceeded to remove any magical artifacts on his person. As he explained their purpose and uses, she sighed for a moment as she noticed Esme giving her a stern frown of displeasure.

"Any artifacts that are defensive, or otherwise not volatile can remain on your person. I'd rather you stay cloaked, though it wouldn't do much if you were tracked anyway. Get inside." With that command the woman entered the house and made her way into the kitchen area to brew a fresh pot of tea. Esme sighed and shook her head as she went over to Kyle.

"Thanks for keeping calm. And also, that seems to confirm my mom is a witch. I'd say I was shocked, but at this point I'm not. As much as you probably want to grill her for information, you better just.. let me pester her with questions. Oh, my mom's name is Áinfean, but I'd avoid calling her by her first name, too informal and she already clearly doesn't like you. Ma'am, or Ms Woods. As much as probably being formal with her will bother you, it's one less thing for her to rant about." It was really the only advice she could give right now. Her mother had never really been friendly to guests, but with her knowing Kyle was a demon, she was more discourteous than she'd ever witnessed.

Esme went into the house, though she paused just inside to see if Kyle really could pass the threshold now. It was something to ask her mother about, but it really did explain quite a bit from the time she lived with her mother. Her friends always had to be given permission to come over by her mother. She had always thought it was because her mother was just strict about certain things, but now knowing it was due to some spell, it made her wonder why such a thing had been done in the first place.

She went to sit on stool that was on the opposite side of a small kitchen bar, watching as her mother poured hot steaming water into a teapot to let the tea infuse into the water. She set a small kitchen timer for about 3 minutes, which Esme opted to remain silent for. She didn't want to be interrupted by the shrill bell of the old kitchen timer mid-sentence. Once the bell sounded, her mother went about pouring three cups of tea. While Áinfean didn't like Kyle, she still was somewhat polite to her unwanted guest.

"I know what the Demon wants to ask. It's the reason why I was persistent with you coming to visit," Áinfean said before taking an appreciative sip of the green tea.

"So, then you knew about the seal on my back?" Esme asked with a bit of an edge in her voice.

"Of course. But, I'm sure whatever he told you makes it seem like I've done something cruel. However, it was meant to keep you safe. Had to never cast anything, you never would have known it had ever been placed upon you. If my assumption is correct and you are bound by a Pact with him, a decision needs to be made. However, before I go any further on that discussion, I need to speak to him privately," Áinfean's grey eyes slid over to Kyle as she raised the teacup to her lips once again.

Kyle waited patiently for Esme's mother to come to a decision about his trinkets,watching the two women carefully. There was some interesting byplay going on between Esme and her mother. The older woman gave a barely perceptible sigh, then spoke.

"Any artifacts that are defensive, or otherwise not volatile can remain on your person. I'd rather you stay cloaked, though it wouldn't do much if you were tracked anyway. Get inside."

With those words, the older woman turned sharply and re-entered the house. Kyle retrieved his belongings, replacing and re-donning items quickly, but not hurriedly. After a moments consideration, he placed the guitar case into the car, closing the door carefully. He decided not to attempt to ward the door, instead heading towards the house. Esme was waiting for him just outside the ward line.

"Thanks for keeping calm. And also, that seems to confirm my mom is a witch. I'd say I was shocked, but at this point I'm not. As much as you probably want to grill her for information, you better just.. let me pester her with questions. Oh, my mom's name is Áinfean, but I'd avoid calling her by her first name, too informal and she already clearly doesn't like you. Ma'am, or Ms Woods. As much as probably being formal with her will bother you, it's one less thing for her to rant about."

Esme turned and entered the house herself, though she paused just over the threshold, looking back as though making certain Kyle was going to be able to enter. Smiling gently, Kyle stepped over the ward line, feeling the Power tingle briefly on his skin as it tested him, then decided he was on the 'allowed' list. The older woman was in the kitchen, preparing a tea service for three. Esme perched upon a stool, and regarded her mother in silence as she went about her preparations. Only when the tea had been poured did anyone speak.

"I know what the Demon wants to ask. It's the reason why I was persistent with you coming to visit," the older woman said, sipping her tea.

"So, then you knew about the seal on my back?" Esme asked with a bit of an edge in her voice.

"Of course. But, I'm sure whatever he told you makes it seem like I've done something cruel. However, it was meant to keep you safe. Had to never cast anything, you never would have known it had ever been placed upon you. If my assumption is correct and you are bound by a Pact with him, a decision needs to be made. However, before I go any further on that discussion, I need to speak to him privately," Áinfean's grey eyes slid over to Kyle as she raised the teacup to her lips once again.

"That is, of course, your right to request Witch," Kyle replied, giving the word witch exactly the same inflection the woman had given the word demon. "This is your house. For myself, ere I speak with thee alone, I would speak before your daughter, that she may verify the truth of mine words."

Kyle couldn't help but notice the wince Esme gave at his use of 'witch' and his cold, formal tone, but he continued to speak unhurriedly.

"The word I used to describe the, abomination that you have had placed upon your daughter's back. The word I used was unpleasant the one time we spoke seriously of it. I do wonder who you trusted enough to place your daughter's life into their hands. The reason I say this, is because you, by your own admission, do not know the language it is inscribed in. As such, you cannot possibly know the grevious errors contained within it."

Kyle ignored the thunderous expression of the older woman and the perplexed one of the younger, marshalling his thoughts before continuing.

"You used the word cruel, and that is an accurate word. You could have cleanly severed her power, never to be expressed. She would never have known. You could have, but you did not. Instead you left her powers active. What happens to Power when it is not used? It builds. Your Sealing allowed the Power to build and build, until it could no longer be contained. And once it was released, the Sealing finally reacted, not by dissippating it, but by punishing her for the use. I am hoping that this little bit of cruelty was not intended. Then, it prevents any possible Healing, punishing her further, though she was not the caster. If you would grace us with the wisdom behind this descision, I would be happy to discuss whatever it is that you wish in private. I must state that I cannot, by the rules of the Pact, act against Esme's best interests, but neither can she act against mine. And I must have her permission to discuss the, unusual, nature of the Pact that binds us. Once again, the flawed Sealing has had unexpected consequences."

Kyle kept his expression carefully neutral, and his tone flat and unthreatening, but he was quite certain that both of the women could see the outrage burning behind his stoney gaze.

Fable Fable
(There's a lot more he wants to say, but he's holding his tongue as best he can for Esme's sake.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Getting closer and closer to the revelation~)

Áinfean sipped at her tea as she waited for him to be done speaking. Esme nervously looked back and forth between her mother and Kyle wondering if this had been a really bad idea. The last thing Esme wanted was some sort of magical battle breaking out between Kyle and her mother. She was't sure how powerful her mother was, but the fact that she wasn't scared of Kyle, more irritated by him actually, probably meant she wasn't a witch to piss off.

Once Kyle was done, Áinfean set down her teacup and looked at Kyle directly, "Are you quite finished? Or do you have some other assumptions you would like to spat out like some conspiracy theory? You come here and toss these wild accusations for a situation you do not understand. Did you ever - for a moment - ponder that there might have been a reason for doing such a thing to my own daughter? And don't use your Pact as some excuse for not speaking with me privately. And as far as it being flawed, again, stop being a know-it-all and think, think very deeply and use some reasoning I am sure you are capable of. You clearly know she's a witch, and that she has a seal, but other than that, you know nothing because you never thought to maybe perhaps try, and think of why a witch would be sealed in such a manner. You clearly know there are alternatives, yet why would this have been the taken route? Maybe because it's not something that can be so simply resolved."

Esme raised her hands up for a moment, "W-Whoa, both of you! If you guys want to argue with each other over this shit, I'm not going to sit around here to watch it. Kyle, you can talk to her privately. I'm sure if there is anything I need to know, you'll tell me later anyway. Mom, we're going to have a discussion about the privately ourselves later. I'm going to go put on my headphones and play some really loud music and lurk in my bedroom. When you both are done barking at each other, let me know."

She walked off then, grabbing her things she had left by the front door and then retreated down a hallway to her old bedroom. She slammed the door closed behind her and did exactly what she said she was going to do. She put on her headphone, selected the heaviest metal songs she had on her playlist, and hit the play button on her device.

Áinfean sighed and closed her eyes for a moment after hearing the door slam loudly, "This is not going in a productive direction at all."

The older woman picked up Esme's abandoned teacup and quickly cleaned it before resuming her previously position, though now directly across from Kyle. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you had some sort of disturbing attachment to my daughter beyond having a Pact. Now, before you go about making more false accusations and I give you any information about Esme's Seal, I have a simple question. How willing are you in regards to protecting Esme? I dislike making Pacts myself, but if I have to do so with you to ensure my daughter's safety, I will do so. The seriousness of Esme's situation... is very complicated. It's obvious the Seal has to be removed, but that will result in placing Esme in a very dangerous and vulnerable position. Once it is removed from her person, you'll understand why it was done. So, as much as I hate requesting this of you, will you protect her?"

Kyle wasn't certain where this was going. He was by no means finished, and he couldn't fathom any situation requiring a Sealing like this. Before he could fire a counter-salvo to the witches riposte however, Esme interrupted them both.

"W-Whoa, both of you! If you guys want to argue with each other over this shit, I'm not going to sit around here to watch it. Kyle, you can talk to her privately. I'm sure if there is anything I need to know, you'll tell me later anyway. Mom, we're going to have a discussion about the privately ourselves later. I'm going to go put on my headphones and play some really loud music and lurk in my bedroom. When you both are done barking at each other, let me know."

Kyle watched as Esme grabbed her things and beat a hasty retreat to somewhere deeper within the house. After she had disappeared, the sound of a slamming door echoed throughout the house and the older woman sighed.

"This is not going in a productive direction at all."

The older woman picked up Esme's abandoned teacup and quickly cleaned it before resuming her previously position, though now directly across from Kyle. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you had some sort of disturbing attachment to my daughter beyond having a Pact. Now, before you go about making more false accusations and I give you any information about Esme's Seal, I have a simple question. How willing are you in regards to protecting Esme? I dislike making Pacts myself, but if I have to do so with you to ensure my daughter's safety, I will do so. The seriousness of Esme's situation... is very complicated. It's obvious the Seal has to be removed, but that will result in placing Esme in a very dangerous and vulnerable position. Once it is removed from her person, you'll understand why it was done. So, as much as I hate requesting this of you, will you protect her?"

The older woman's tone had gone from confrontational to, tired? worried? Kyle wasn't certain, but the simple sincerity and honesty in Esme's mom's voice as she asked the question demanded a response in kind.

"With my life," Kyle replied quietly, his tone completely different from his speech earlier. "Firstly, we are bound together, and more completely than I have been given to understand such things are possible, and secondly, even were we not so bound, she is deserving of such protection."

Kyle could see what looked like alarm register behind Áinfean's eyes as his tone registered, but he held up a hand placatingly and continued to speak quietly.

"No Lady, I not enamored of your daughter, so set your mind at ease. Honesty compels me to confess that such things could change over the course of time, for I find her strength of character admirable, and her mind agile. When she Summoned me, I appeared in battle form, yet she stood her ground and attempted to defend her friend with naught save a broken bottle. This speaks well of her bravery, though perhaps not her common sense. She was inebriated at the time, so perhaps that can be forgiven. She is quite her own person, despite your efforts to mold her to your liking, but I suppose that every parent is guilty of that sin, mine certainly were."

Kyle paused for a moment to marshal his thoughts before continuing. Despite all his efforts, he just couldn't figure out why such a flawed sealing could be placed, and rather than attack further, he decided simply to calmly state what he could see and express his ignorance.

"So, moving on to the elephant in the room," he said, keeping his voice calm and even. "The Seal. I am sorry, but no matter how hard I try I cannot conceive a situation requiring that particular set of, attributes. Speaking as an outside observer who can read the rune pattern contained within, as well as one who has seen both criminal and protective Sealings, I do not understand. I think that the flaws, and yes, I AM going to continue calling some of the items contained within flaws, place the one who is so Sealed at risk of losing their power permanently, if not their very life. This danger far outweighs any possible benefit. Anything that induces mage-shock can kill, and I saw this Sealing do so. That, I pray, was unintended. So, I confess my lack of sufficient understanding to see the reasons here, and I promise that I shall remain silent and attempt to remain open-minded as you share what you will of it."

With that, Kyle sat back and sipped his tea. A thought struck him, and he lowered his cup for a moment to make one last comment.

"My name is K'ylenthar, though I now go by the diminuitive form Kyle. Esme seems to find it easier to pronounce, and she says it is fairly common on this world."

Fable Fable
(Demon is trying very hard to remain open minded and try to understand.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Sorry for the delay. I was hoping my internet would improve, but it's pretty much ka-put and even calling my ISP didn't do squat. T_T Well, besides piss me off more.)

Áinfean nearly let out a sigh of relief when she heard Kyle state openly he wasn't 'enamored' with her daughter. However, he followed those words next with stating that he couldn't promise it wouldn't ever happen. She wanted to open her mouth to protest the very idea of it being plausible, but she managed to keep her worries to herself. He was still very clearly perturbed about Esme's seal, and if she had been in his position, she could see the reason to be so. Even with his promise for silence should she share the information regarding the reason wasn't enough for her to trust him with such secrets.

"Kyle, is indeed easier to say. I cannot go into the reasons for the Seal... at this time. It's something that would be easier explained those currently involved are all present, which would require going to see the person who placed the Seal for me. I can say that the errors in the Casting were due to not having enough time to find a solution otherwise to what was done. There was also no other written precedence that could be used for such a situation, so the only thing that we figured could be done was taking something that existed and altering it. Foolish, stupid, dangerous, but the only option at that time. The unfortunate side effects were not something done on purpose, we weren't even sure what exactly would happen if she did attempt to use magic. Based on what was told to me by the caster, leaving the Seal on Esme with her magic no longer dormant would result in more complications I do not want to even repeat."

She said she was going to go get Esme then, leaving their conversation to end there and not give Kyle a chance to try and push for more information he would not get. Esme frowned at her mother's intrusion, but she took off her headphones and went back to the kitchen to rejoin Kyle and so the trio of them could talk. Esme didn't ask what was said to Kyle, though there was a burning curiosity within her. She'd try and press him for answers later.

"So, now that the conspiring is done and you've both clearly not killed each other, maybe the person who seems to sort of be at the center of whatever this is can finally get some answers," she said with a bit of bitterness. "Y'know, things like 'why?' and 'how is thing thing removed?'"

"As thorny as ever I see," Áinfean replied. "As far as removing the Seal, I can't. Only the one who placed it there can. Once it's removed you cannot go back to your normal life."

"Whoa, 'cannot go back to normal life?' I mean, yeah I won't have a Seal burning into my back and can use magic apparently."

"It's more than that. You literally will have to abandon your life"

"Stop the fuck right there. You want me to just... vanish? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Esme, enough!" Áinfean snapped, a mixture of anger and anguish. "I desperately wish I could tell you everything right here and now, but I cannot. I wish I could have done more for you, but it's part of a failsafe plan. That Seal made you practically invisible. It made you as normal as any other person, even if faced with the very threat that hovers over your existence. Once that is gone, you'll have to learn how to protect yourself for an indefinite period of time. I'm not saying to vanish without a word. I'm saying systematically make it obvious you've left to protect those around you. If you make it known you've fled, those you leave behind will be safer."

"You are making such little sense right now. What threat? Are we under some witch protection program or some bullshit?"

"If only there was such a thing. I don't want to argue with you about this Esme. That's how it has to be, at least until something else can be done. As this point, it's not a choice. As much as I know I cannot force you to do something you do not want to do. However, I implore you to do this. Ultimately, it is your choice. I'll give you time to think it over... while I make travel arrangements. If you want the Seal removed, we have to go to New York."

Áinfean left before Esme had much of a chance for a counter argument back, leaving Esme flustered and frustrated. She shot a dark look at Kyle with suspicion, "What the hell did you two talk about? I leave and come back to being told I pretty much have to give up my entire life, just to have something I never asked for to be removed, without any answers or even a reason as to why I should. What the fuck is going on?"

The last question wasn't directed at Kyle, Esme's eyes looked over in the direction her mother had gone to make the travel arrangements. Esme threw her hands up in the air and stormed out of the house through the back doors. She crossed the large backyard of tamed wilderness to a old oak tree and proceeded to climb it like she had done in her youth when something was bothering her. She perched herself on a large branch and leaned her back against the wide trunk.

(Kyle can either do his own thing for a bit, I wanted to give a chance for him to react to the drama between mother/daughter. He can pester her in the tree too though if you wanted. If not, once the reaction post is done I can progress in my own post.)

Kyle found Áinfean's admission that the more dangerous flaws in the Sealing were unintentional reassurring, but her continued recalcitrance about the Seal itself was, irritating. In his experience, things done 'for your own good' generally wound up being the exact opposite. That being true however, Áinfean's concern, if not outright fear, over whatever doom she thought hung over her daughter's life was real enough.

"Scared people do, less than intelligent things," he mused to himself as Áinfean left to retrieve her daughter from whatever self-imposed exile she had retreated to. "She was willing to form a Pact to protect her daughter, so that is something. Perhaps enough, perhaps not. Time will tell."

Kyle's musings were cut short by the return of the ladies, and the immediate resumption of open hostilities between them. Despite his short association with Esme, he could tell that Áinfean's manner and attitude seemed designed to infuriate her daughter, and his expectations were met in spades. You just did not tell someone they were going to have to abandon their lives on your say-so, no matter who your were. Perhaps especially not if you were a parent. Add to the fact that you were the source of their misery, and you would give no explainations.

"This is as volatile as a flask of shaken chylisk venom," Kyle thought as the discussion apparently ended. Áinfean left the room, leaving Kyle to face Esme's wrath alone.

"What the hell did you two talk about? I leave and come back to being told I pretty much have to give up my entire life, just to have something I never asked for to be removed, without any answers or even a reason as to why I should. What the fuck is going on?"

Before Kyle could reply, Esme had left as well, storming out through another door that apparently led to the rear of the house. Kyle stood for a moment, indecisive, but then elected to follow Esme. He couldn't see her when he emerged into the back yard, but casting his gaze about, he finally spotted her in the boughs of a mighty oak, her back pressed up against the trunk. Sighing, he moved towards the old tree, reaching up to grasp one of the lower branches. Moving slowly so as not to startle Esme, he made his way up to the limb she was perched on and moved out upon it before sitting easily on the wide branch.

"You did not give me a chance to respond," he said gently, trying to sound reasonable, to let the honesty show in his words. "Your mother and I did not actually speak of much, for she was unwilling to discuss what was done to you or why. I will say that, at least in her own mind, she was acting in such a fashion as to protect you. She also admitted that the choice was a very poor one, but one she felt compelled to make."

Kyle paused, marshalling his thoughts. He kept his gaze on Esme, but he was having a difficult time reading her state of mind. Something about her mother seemed to drive the young woman to distraction. Kyle had to admit to himself that he found the older woman's actions and attitudes, irritating.

"As for the rest," he continued. "You heard what I heard. It makes no more sense to me than it does to you. I cannot know what is transpiring without more knowledge, which your mother seems unwilling to impart. I will tell you this... she was willing to form a Pact with me for your protection."

Kyle thought he could see Esme start to brindle at the mention of her needing protection, but he held up and hand and continued to speak.

"In the matters of Magic, you DO need protection." he stated. "You know it exists now, you have seen it with your own eyes. Your mother seems to feel that there is a Magic threat hanging over you, and until proven otherwise we should assume that she is correct. She, however, should not assume that it will destroy your life as you know it. If the Seal is removed, I will teach you how to protect yourself, hide yourself, and if need be, actively defend yourself. Until you acquire those skills, I shall be your sword and shield against those who would harm you. I did not set your feet, nor mine, upon this path, but I will walk it as best I can beside you."

Fable Fable
(Confused demon is still confused, but he is DETERMINED to protect his Pact Bonded.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(The whole background behind Esme won't be revealed till they get to New York. But it will eventually come out~)

Esme had her arms crossed over her chest and a small scowl for an expression as she replayed her mother's words in her mind. She was fuming. Esme had always had a difficult relationship with her mother, and this visit just made it even worse. She sighed and closed her eyes, trying to calm herself back down after snapping. Her eyes opened when she heard movement from below and noticed Kyle making his way up the tree. Normally she would have told him off, that she came here to be alone, but she was just tired of being pissed off by this point. Being angry could be so exhausting.

Once he sat, he spoke. She wasn't sure if she wanted to converse with anyone right now, but she let him speak his peace, her irritation showing as he mentioned her mother trying to negotiate some sort of protection deal. Esme had been living on her own perfectly fine since she graduated from high school. She didn't have to deal with an overly strict parent with ridiculous rules. Her mother had been so angry when she left for college. Esme even made it a point to not even visit during the holidays because she was worried her mother would somehow prevent her from leaving if she came back. It took a year for them to be able to talk to each other civilly.

"She's always been secretive like that," Esme said with bitterness. "She's maybe only answered a few questions I've ever asked that were not connected to my academic education. You'd think after living with her for so long I'd not be bothered by it, but it still pisses me off to no end. As far as this whole thing revolving around some reason I need protection, it makes her sound like a delusional overprotective mother. I mean, what the hell exists here that is so dangerous to me? She can't even give me a tiny little hint about what this supposed threat is?"

Esme huffed and looked upwards at the leaves of the tree, her eyes stung slightly from the urge to cry over being so frustrated and upset with her mother, but after a few seconds it went away. She cleared her throat and shook her head. "Heh, you'll teach me magic huh?" she said, trying to change the tone of the conversation.

""Also, that whole line ' I shall be your sword and shield against those who would harm you.' sounds a bit... well, not even a bit, it's overly dramatic. If you're not careful and say that to a girl, she might just swoon," she teased, using her humor, which was part of an emotional defensive mechanism. "You even got a little nervous heart flutter from me there, and I'm a cold-hearted bitch," she joked as she shook her head.

Kyle laughed as Esme called him 'overly dramatic'.

"Well, " he said, still chuckling. "I suppose I come by it honestly, since my people are known for their love of 'dramatic gestures'. I do have to disagree with you though. While I think you are guarded, and after meeting the, drat what were those words? oh yes, 'asshole ex', I totally understand, I do not think you cold hearted. Didn't you try to face me down in battle form with nothing but a broken bottle to protect your friend. Knowing the Power I hold, you argue with me, having only my word I cannot harm you. And..."

Kyle's voice stuttered to a halt and he looked away from Esme. When he spoke again, it was a barely audible whisper.

"I now know what this world thinks of my kind. Some small parts of your lore can be said to be accurate, for there are many Houses, and some are, not nice people. You didn't know that. You didn't know me. Goddess, you barely know me now, but you're sitting here talking to a being most of your world wants dead or enslaved. For that kindness I would gladly lay down my life in defense of your own. "

Kyle could feel his cheeks heat and wondered what in the nether could have made him speak so frankly, but the words were said, and they were true.

"I've... got to use the bathroom, "he said, his words rushed. "I'll, check on the car afterwards. Find me when you wish. "

With that, Kyle dropped from the branch, despite the height. He landed easily, then beat a hasty retreat back to the house. It was only after he was inside that he realized he had no clue where the bathroom was. Rather than open doors at random, he decided to bite the bullet, and moved to the back door.

"Ummmm, Esme?" he called. "Which door leads to the bathroom? "

Fable Fable
(Embarrassed demon)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Quick Kyle, serpentine to flee! Also, two posts in one day! My internet actually was working, it's the end times... Watch it fail as I try to pose this.)

Esme smirked as Kyle laughed at her comment. She always turned to think of funny things, either to deflect or distract. It was hard to be upset if you managed to make yourself or someone else laugh. Was it a healthy tactic? Probably not, but it worked for her to take her mind off of her problems for a fraction of a second. She wasn't shocked at all with the admission that where Kyle comes from, there is a preference for 'dramatic gestures' as he put it. The way he spoke and the things he did felt like he'd fit into the role of some romantic lead in a overly fluffy movie that creates unrealistic romantic ideals. Annnnddd she was back to her sarcastic realist self.

She gave Kyle a mildly confused look at his sudden change in demeanor. He had been laughing only to now seem to feel awkward about something. Her eyes narrowed and for a moment though the big bad Kyle was actually blushing. Blushing! Maybe she needed to rest her eyes after a day of travel and studying. He spoke of how he understood how this part of the world viewed his kind, which is not flattering in any form except in Hollywood films that romanticized such things.

He suddenly proclaimed having to use the bathroom and bolted, jumping from the branch with such ease Esme was a bit jealous. She'd have broken both of her legs if she tried that. She watched him as he fan from the tree in what she could only assume was some sort of bathroom emergency. After a short moment after he had gone into the house, he popped back out of the back door and asked her where the bathroom was. Esme struggled to stifle her laughter, but failed and chortled for a few seconds.

"There is a guest bathroom next to the front den. The den is the room that looks like a miniature library," shes shouted back, before feeling somewhat stupid and immature shouting like this.

She carefully climbed the way down the tree, her muscle memory kicking in as she had done this so many times before in her younger years, before she moved away. Once her feet were on solid earth, she dusted off any debris that happened to catch onto her clothes and then made her way back into the house. She went into her old bedroom and dug out her cellphone, texting Liz to let her know they had made it to their destination. She should have texted her earlier, right when they had arrived, but with how the events unfolded with their arrival, it had slipped her mind.

With that task done and her mother hidden away most likely in the room that served as her office, Esme made her way into the den. The den had that familiar scent of old books, a scent Esme actually enjoyed. It hadn't changed much she had last been home. She let her fingers drag across the book spines before relaxing on an old ivory colored chaise lounge. She closed her eyes and lazily stretched out her limbs. To the outside observer, she probably didn't seem that trouble, but honestly her mind was thinking very quickly over her current predicament.

"She was either wildly naive, or dangerously intelligent," she murmured out loud to herself.

Esme was quick enough to provide the location of the bathroom, though from her tone of voice, Kyle was fairly certain she was laughing at him. That was okay, laughter was a good thing. Moving into the house he quickly found a room that seemed to match Esme's description of a 'den'. Yes, there was a door right where it should be. Kyle took his time, even though the pressing physical need had been quite real, he needed to get his thoughts in order.

"Did you misspeak to Esme's mother?" he asked himself internally. "Are you infatuated with her daughter?"

Kyle examined his thoughts and feelings as he washed up and tidied the small amount of disruption he had brought to the small room. After a minute, he shook his head.

"No, I did not." he decided. "I admire Esme for her strength and determination, for her kindness, and her loyalty. I even admire Liz a bit, though not nearly so much. She is far too ready to believe the negative, and be blinded to the reality. Esme is not blinded, or at least she does not show it if she is. Either way, she deserves all the protection I can provide, and if she chooses not to accept it, then she also deserves my acceptance of her refusal."

His mind settled, Kyle moved into the den, intending to head for the car, only to be stopped by the sight of Esme sitting comfortably on a small lounger, chaise lounge, his mind offered.

"She was either wildly naive, or dangerously intelligent," Esme muttered, her eyes closed.

"Methinks she could be both," Kyle said as he moved towards the front door. "One does not exclude the other."

Fable Fable
(Henh. Hopefully she doesn't jump out of her skin.)

"Methinks she could be both," Kyle said as he moved towards the front door. "One does not exclude the other."

Esme was startled by Kyle voice as he walked past the den, causing her to gracelessly fall off of the chaise lounge with a thud onto the wooden floor, exclaiming loudly, "Fucking hell." Her heart was pounding in her chest as her flight or fight mode kicked in a pumped her body with adrenaline. "Ow," she moaned from her prone position on the ground. The fall hadn't hurt that much, so the 'ow' came out fairly monotone. She pulled herself up on her feet and wondered if chucking a book at Kyle would be worth it. Deciding that he'd block or dodge it, and it would damage a perfectly good book, she opted to not attack him with the arsenal of object the den offered.

"You're lucky I have respect for books, otherwise your person wold have learned how effective of a weapon they are," she warned, mostly in jest. "Also, don't scare me."

Áinfean made a reappearance after hearing Esme's shouted expletive, her arms crossed over her chest and an unamused expression. She cleared her throat, causing Esme to turn her attention onto her to mother, then quickly pointing at Kyle, "Hey, he did the scaring, you give him the 'the look.' Okay?"

"I went ahead and ordered pizza. Seeing as they don't deliver all the way out here, I'm going to go pick it up. I'll be back, please do not somehow get into mischievous trouble while I'm gone." With that, she left. Her keys jingled loudly as she went outside and got into her car. The engine roaring as it kicked on and the beams of the headlights temporarily increasing illumination against the impending darkness outside.

"And for your information, the meaning of that quote is to not underestimate a person based on how you perceive them. My mother said it to me once, I can't even remember what about, but it popped into my head. Probably because she'd managed to keep the fact that she'd a witch a secret from me up until recently."

Kyle quickly raised his hand to cover his mouth as Esme spilled from her perch. He hadn't spoken that loudly, but he guessed she hadn't realized he hadn't gone outside yet. The ungraceful landing on the floor elicited a pointed "Fucking hell." followed by a much less energetic 'ow'. She must have been deep in thought. As Esme rose, Kyle could almost see the wheels turning in her mind, but her appreciation of books seemed to be his saving grace. Her words a moment later confirmed his thought.

"You're lucky I have respect for books, otherwise your person would have learned how effective of a weapon they are. Also, don't scare me."

Before Kyle could frame a proper reply, Áinfean reappeared, catching Esme's eye.

"Hey, he did the scaring, you give him the 'the look.' Okay?" Esme protested, something about her mother's gaze carrying stern disapproval.

"I went ahead and ordered pizza. Seeing as they don't deliver all the way out here, I'm going to go pick it up. I'll be back, please do not somehow get into mischievous trouble while I'm gone." Áinfean said, then departed without a backwards glance or another word. Kyle could hear a car start, more powerful than their rental by the sound, then depart down the lane.

"And for your information, the meaning of that quote is to not underestimate a person based on how you perceive them. My mother said it to me once, I can't even remember what about, but it popped into my head. Probably because she'd managed to keep the fact that she's a witch a secret from me up until recently," Esme said, recapturing his attention.

"That advice can keep you alive where I am from," Kyle said, reversing direction to take a seat on the edge of a comfortable looking couch. "Some of the most successful predators look totally innocuous, both the bestial and the two legged variety."

Kyle paused a moment, wondering that Áinfean would leave them alone here, contract or no. Shrugging internally, he decided that the witch must have chosen to believe his words about protecting her daughter.

"So," he said. "How do you wish to handle this? Despite the fact that we are bound together by a Pact, this is your life, and I will respect any choices you make. I may attempt to dissuade you from a course of action based on my experience in magic, but unless it endangers us directly, I shall 'follow your lead'? in this matter. Just... please do not allow your obviously contentious relationship with your mother to blind you to possible reasons for actions, and possible consequences for hasty decisions."

Fable Fable
(Demon is willing to follow her lead for a while.)

"That advice can keep you alive where I am from," Kyle said, reversing direction to take a seat on the edge of a comfortable looking couch. "Some of the most successful predators look totally innocuous, both the bestial and the two legged variety."

Esme wanted to roll her eyes, but she didn't due to two reasons. Firstly, she thought people who rolled there eyes looked stupid and honestly wanted to break the habit of doing it herself. And secondly, she wondered if Kyle even understood what rolling one's eyes meant. He'd made it pretty clear that where he was from was a dangerous place. It wasn't like she had any plans on going for a vacation there.

"So," Kyle said. "How do you wish to handle this? Despite the fact that we are bound together by a Pact, this is your life, and I will respect any choices you make. I may attempt to dissuade you from a course of action based on my experience in magic, but unless it endangers us directly, I shall 'follow your lead'? in this matter. Just... please do not allow your obviously contentious relationship with your mother to blind you to possible reasons for actions, and possible consequences for hasty decisions."

"Actually, I thought about this Pact thing. Hypothetically, if I were to ask you for things - in regards to this whole magical Pact - that didn't require me using magic or having magic used on me, would there be a chance it'd sort of... progress the Pact to completion? I'm a bit curious since it might help with two issues, my accidental summoning of you here and the whole inability to use magic without searing pain inflicted on me. As far as the whole Seal problem, if I never use magic again then it shouldn't react like it did the first time, right? If it only flares up when I use magic or someone uses magic on me, then it'd be just like a common food allergy. The way my mother mentioned how it made me 'invisible' means I shouldn't have to worry about some magically-inclined person from randomly coming up to me and casting a spell on me. As much as it pisses me off that she did such a thing to me... but if I had never summoned you, my life would have continued as it always had before. Sorry, I am probably not doing very well relaying my thoughts."

Esme nibbled on her lower lip for a moment as she tired to organize her thoughts.

"If I have to give up my life to have the Seal removed, then maybe it should just stay, is sort of what I am basically thinking right now. I figured if I could live with it before, without even knowing of it, then after the whole Pact between us is resolved and you go back to your home I can just... go back to normal, just with the knowledge to not ever attempt to do anything magical of any kind."

Kyle could hear the hope in Esme's voice as she spoke, and he felt heartsick that he would have to dash that hope. Steeling himself, he schooled his voice to neutrality and looked Esme directly in the eyes as he began to speak.

"I believe I am following your thoughts well enough," he said slowly. "Unfortunately, I do not believe that your plan is viable. Firstly, I would have to expend some amount of Power at your behest, though I am free to set my price so that you need not do anything magical. The problem is, the Pact itself is made up of Power. In our case, rather than a single, large strand, we are bound my many, many small ones. These smaller threads of Power are made up of Power taken from each of us at the time of the Pact forming, and when one is, cut is a close enough word I suppose, by fulfilling a condition we both find agreeable, the Power is returned to us equally. So, every time we declare a portion of the Pact met, you will receive an influx of Power, the intensity of which will depend on the difficulty of the task I accomplish."

Kyle could see Esme's face beginning to fall, but he forced himself to continue speaking slowly and logically.

"Secondly, your magic is now awakened. Despite the efforts of the Seal to keep it contained, it will build and build, until it overcomes the Seal, and you use it unconsciously. That will be, not a good thing. The way the Seal was constructed, in haste by your mother's admission, it could very well be fatal. I do not know this, but I fear it. And as for your magical invisibility, that was destroyed when our Pact formed. The threads are faint, but they are there. It would take a powerful User, and one who knew what to look for, but they can be detected."

Kyle felt as if he were passing a death sentence as he spoke, but he was not going to lie to Esme, not even by omission if he could help it.

"And," he paused to marshal his thoughts, then spoke in a worried voice. "There is this to consider. Your Seal was quiescent, but has now been activated. I do not know what will happen if stronger magic than the minor cantrips I and your mother have used in your presence were cast with you nearby. That is why I had you stand well back when I created my ID. I am worried about how your awakened Seal might react if you were caught in the field of an, amnesia spell for instance. Would it protect you? Would it react badly? It did not allow me to heal you once it was fully active, so I may not say what it is or is not capable of. At least, not without much more study and access to the original spell text. I am sorry Esme. You did not ask for this, but here we are. Now, we must move ahead, though I cannot say for sure what is the best path. All I can say, is that we walk it together, will we, nil we."

Fable Fable
(Sad demon wishes he could give better news.)

Esme inhaled deeply. It was much more than a normal everyday sigh. This was a sigh of defeat. She exhaled and closed her eyes for a moment as she thought on what Kyle had just told her. Maybe she was still going through some weird steps of denial and right now she was stuck on bargaining. Even as he countered her suggestion and explain the reasoning why, part of her just didn't want to accept it. The other part of her was mentally ripping her hair out trying to think of another solution Asking a thousand hypothetical 'what-ifs' and playing through the various possibilities and outcomes. This all happened within the few seconds it took for her to release that long sigh.

"Well, that just crushed my hopes into a fine powder," she finally said.

"Damned either way it seems," she said, before another long pause as she began thinking deeply once again. After about a minute, she shrugged to herself, "Fuck it. I'll just deal with the problems as they come. I am so tired of stressing myself so much over this stuff. I have enough stress just from college. At least with my school related problems, I have control over them. This pretty much seems to be spiraling out of my control. So, go with the flow into whatever storm this is going to turn out to be."

With that, she nodded to herself and tried to put on a confident air, even though she was still troubled by the problems surrounding her. "First decision, I'm not just going to abandon my entire life over this. Not until I actually know what the hell this mysterious threat actually is. Second, get this Seal removed when I actually have the time to. I mean, there are holidays for a reason. I mean, putting it off for just a little bit shouldn't kill me?"

She found it hard to think that something she didn't notice until it was searing on her back could kill her. Since that episode, it was like it had been there.

Kyle frowned slightly, but stopped to think over Esme's intended course of action. It was, after all, her life. Well, his too now, but until the Seal was actually removed, he doubted that Esme would ever believe how much influence the Pact had on each of them.

"I cannot say how delay may affect the situation," he said after a moments pause. "I can only note that your mother was the one who caused the Seal to be set, and now that your Power has awakened, she seems most adamant that it be removed quickly."

Pausing to consider the information that Esme had dumped into his head, was it only a week ago? Kyle thought about the Castings he had seen. Transport would be slower than a Travelling spell, but Esme wouldn't be able to use one of those in her current condition. Airplanes. Crossing the thousands of miles in hours rather than days.

"Given her sense of urgency," Kyle mused, "I imagine that your mother will wish to employ air travel. That reduces the trip to a few hours, yes? And then I do not know how far from the airport we would have to travel. Return via the same methods, and no more than a day, most likely far, far less to remove the Seal...An extended weekend, much as for the trip here? I'm not certain about the funds required for such travel, but since your mother said she was making arrangements immediately, perhaps we should wait and see how things play out? Soonest begun is soonest done after all. And, the sooner the Seal is removed, the sooner I can begin to teach you how to hide yourself properly."

Kyle couldn't help but smile slightly as he spoke the next words.

"Despite your, recalcitrance, I believe you will be a most talented Witch."

Fable Fable
(Hopeful demon has faith that Esme will be a quick study.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Just gonna have to see and hope she doesn't blow anything up on accident. :p)

"Y'know, sometime I wonder if you have some sort of goal set in place to just... smother any hopes I have. I feel like I am on the wrong end of a whack-a-mole right now, trying to think about better ways to deal with this whole ordeal and you smacking me back down."

She didn't say this to him in a cruel or even insulting way, more just... out of mild frustration. She was trying to find a way to deal with magical problems and get back to her life. At the rate and direction of this discussion, she was ready to find a pillow and smack him across the face with it because he was not actually being helpful in her eyes.

"I don't know if she'd want to have you in a pressurized cabin at around 35,000 feet in the air. I know I wouldn't want to take that risk. Sure, it'd be quicker, but also way more expensive, especially if she bought the tickets last minute. I mean, either way I have to go home and make arrangements, unless I was my school and Liz to think I went missing. And honestly, Liz would probably blame you thinking kidnapped me or something. That would surely ruin any progress made between you two being cordial with each other."

She walked to one of the plush chairs that had a few plump decorative pillows on them and casually picked one of them up.

"As far as me being a talented witch... if it's anything like cooking, you are going to be pretty disappointed," on the last word, she throw the pillow with perfect accuracy towards Kyle's face.

"Y'know, sometime I wonder if you have some sort of goal set in place to just... smother any hopes I have. I feel like I am on the wrong end of a whack-a-mole right now, trying to think about better ways to deal with this whole ordeal and you smacking me back down."

Esme's words weren't delivered with any particular venom, but they still stung a little. Kyle bit down on the retort that sprang immediately to mind, but he couldn't help thinking it.

"You're not trying to deal with the situation," he thought, though his face stayed neutral. "You're trying to ignore it and hope it goes away. That's going to get you killed. And unless I do everything in my power to prevent it, it may well kill me in the process."

None of his thoughts made their way to his face as Kyle watched Esme begin to prowl around the room as she continued to speak.She was probably correct about Liz and her opinion of what Liz's reaction would be if they did not reappear on schedule. He saw Esme bend to pick something up, then her back tensed. A moment later a missile made of fabric and stuffing was airborne and heading directly towards him.

Battle reflexes tried to take over, but Kyle quashed his bodies automatic attempt to shift with iron control. For a moment he considered simply dodging the incoming pillow, or catching it and hurling it back, but in the end, he simply stood his ground and let the wad of cloth and stuffing smack him fully in the face. As the pillow bounced and began its descent towards the floor, Kyle allowed his eyes to go unfocused and began to sway slightly, barely keeping a grin off of his face.

"Urk," he grunted inelegantly, then timbered over backwards as though he had been struck by an anvil rather than a fluffy pillow. His fall appeared uncontrolled, but he relaxed his body, allowing it to fold to the floor rather than smack into it. As his head and the pillow both vanished from Esme's field of view, he couldn't stop himself from snaking out a hand to grasp the pillow, placing it behind his head before letting his arms relax. Closing his eyes, Kyle listened carefully, trying to gauge Esme's reaction to his little performance.

Fable Fable
(Theatrical demon is hamming it up.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back