Anime & Manga Subbed or Dubbed Anime

I think watching dubbed takes the fun out of watching anime. It's called anime and not cartoon's for a reason. Just my opinion.

Story time: My friend and I were in our acting class and she turns to me saying "So how do you feel about sub vs dub anime?" and I immediately go "dubbed anime sucks, I hate it." to which she replies "I knew you would feel so strongly about this."

subbed! I'm a Japanese major and lived in Japan for a while so it's nice to hear the language. that being said depending on the show I will watch it in English if I love the voice actors. But I also have my favorite Japanese voice actors. But Sub FTW

Subbed if I'm watching it for the first time.
Dubbed if I'm watching one I watched in English as a kid for nostalgia.

subbed solely for the reason that they pronounce names correctly and usopo's english voice actor gave me a brain aneurysm as a child. never again.

I generally prefer dub, because that way I don't have to avert my eyesight from the action to read the words, besides, while you are reading the subtitles you sometimes miss things like the tone in which it is being said. It's generally more comfortable to me, though that's just my opinion.

My answer is simple: If the dub brings out the personalities of the characters like the sub does, then the dub is a good alternative to the sub.

But what if... I watched the French dub before English and Japanese?
<Ha, no one watches the French dub! Not even the French!>

Dub with subtitles to make sense of untranslated moon words > Sub with subtitles, but listening for Engrish still.
d19.gif

I always have to do dubbed. I won't even be able to pay attention if I do dubbed, with subbed I have to read and that's what keeps me from getting distracted so I actually watch the show

I've pretty much only watched sub with Pokémon, Spice and Wolf and Naruto as an exception. So, sub for me. Though I do sometimes check out the dub.

Sub for me, mostly because I am just so used to it at this point. Though English dubbing has been getting better imo. Plus sub surprisingly helps with learning japanese(Like I am.) of course you just use it to listen to the way they speak and how casual conversations are spoken in japanese

Majority of the time I'll pick subbed over dubbed, but there's a few that I actually prefer dubbed. Things like Cowboy Bebop and Baccano! I like the English dub a lot. But dubs that I like are few and far in between, so generally I'll pick subbed.

In my opinion I like watching subbed anime the best because I grew accustomed to it. I'm rather picky when it comes to watching dubbed anime mostly because I would like the voice to match the anime character correctly, there are some dubbed anime where I'm annoyed at since the voice actor didn't suit the anime character itself.. Although there are time where I choose dub because their wording would make sense since sometimes subbed anime would have wrong grammar and such.

It depends really.

Really, for me it all depends on the quality of the voice acting, because unfortunately, the mass majority of dubbed anime is really poorly voice acted. If the voice acting is great, I will definitely go for the dub, but if the voice acting is trash, I will be more than willing to sacrifice my concentration for immersion.

Best dubbed anime :3

That being said, I had a sad cuz they can't do more without replacing shinji's VA :(

Although I have only watched a few animes, I can't stand dubbed ones. They just sound so wrong, and it's really annoying to see the mouths and body actions out of synchronization with the words. Although this may just be due to my preference of subtitles, I put them on for everything.... I may or may not be slightly deaf...

I think its been said again. Their both good in different ways. I like dubbed better as i find i get to really watch the anime and just sit back and enjoy it. Subbed normally has been content but in action animes i end up pasuing and ready then playing so i can then fully concentrate on the action. Not to say im a slow reader but im not the fastest either. Just makes it easier to have a bowl of popcorn and chock on it in shock because of what is going on versa putting in the needed energy that some action animes need in order to get the full picture. Its to be enjoyed so so long as what your doing works for you then enjoy

Personally, I prefer subbed because a) I love listening to the language, and b) It helps train my listening skills. Besides, what I find is that a lot of the time, dubs take away key parts of a character's personality even just through their voice and tone. Really a loss imo. That said, dubs are most useful to me if I'm eating and have to look at my food instead of subs lol. I have heard that some anime has a better dub than sub, but I have yet to watch any.

Personally, I prefer subbed because a) I love listening to the language, and b) It helps train my listening skills. Besides, what I find is that a lot of the time, dubs take away key parts of a character's personality even just through their voice and tone. Really a loss imo. That said, dubs are most useful to me if I'm eating and have to look at my food instead of subs lol. I have heard that some anime has a better dub than sub, but I have yet to watch any.

Then be a true hero and watch the raws!! Though for actual input I also prefer subs as well, mostly due to the faster release cycle as well as the opportunity to learn as someone who has studied Japanese over the last year. It helps build up some vocabulary as well as maintain an understanding of what I've already learned in class. Though admittedly as a fellow weeb I was watching anime in Japanese w/ subs long before I actually took classes for it.

Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm playing a video game or studying I prefer dubbed as it's easier to follow. However, if I am just sitting watching I don't mind, though I always try to watch sub.

Well I usually watch subs as they come out faster, the voice acting in them is great and they present the story how it is supposed to be presented. But I do think that a dub can actually be much better than a sub. Although I can read pretty fast which lets me bypass the issue of having to divide your attention between the subtitles and the anime, I prefer having great voice actors depict these characters to me in English. The reason as to why dubs are generally disliked is the most of the time dubs are horrendous with them being completely out of touch with the actual anime. But if a dub is done correctly, I will prefer to watch it over a dub any day of the week, even if I do have to wait a while for the next episode.

Speaking of waiting, the whole concept of binging an anime brings up another point that I kinda wanna talk about. I too have fallen into the trap of binging an entire season in a matter of days. Heck, I watched all of Naruto and Shippuden within a month and a half if you can believe, watchin 10-20 episodes a day. But I found that spreading out your watch times to having 3 episodes a week or even 1, you will enjoy that series far better. You eat a bag of chips in 5 minutes because that is what it is designed for, short bursts of flavour that satisfy you only for the moment you eat them and not a second after. You eat a steak in half an hour because of all the amazing flavours and other components of the meal as the overall enjoyment from that meal sticks with you even after you are done. You can binge and watch you anime like a bag of chips, or you can enjoy it over a long period of time like a steak. (or whatever fancy meal u vegans/vegetarians eat.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back