• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Other Style Feedback

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey All,

I'm trialing a new Light and Dark mode that anyone can switch to by going to the style selector in your account settings or the bottom of the site. Switch from Light and Dark to RpNation Light and RpNation Dark and let me know how it feels.

Imo, it feels like I'm on an Old Forum again lmao. (I'm on Dark version of it) I don't think its bad! It just feels...Weird to me. I also miss like the various different shades of colors like the normal Dark has. Such as like, the green post button, the "Like, quote, reply" buttons are gray, the blues, etc

i think both modes look snazzy 👀 but i'm a dark mode friend, and the new dark mode looks Sleek. i do agree that it kind of looks like an old forum site though, and the variety of colors on the original mode is nice!

edit: i do like the colors to help separate certain buttons! and for any links, the blue helps make it obvious that they're links and not just words.

Being a Dark user, I will say the new Dark theme seems a bit too.... bright. Its not like super awful bright or anything but the grayish tint does come out a little more jarring to my eyes personally compared to the blue. It makes the text also seem brighter to me but it might just be the color contrast that causes my eyes to perceive it brighter rather then it being less grey and more white.

The over-all style change doesn't look too bad. I do think the buttons with the Like, Quote, Reply for example actually looks better on the new style lacking the weird box the current theme has with it. The blue bar at the top of the post I'd be less for, though if its a different less bright color or less contrasting color it probably would look better stylistically.

I really LOVE IT! light mode looks clean and smooth while dark mode while safe on my eyeballs looks like either my one denim pants or that one chalkboard ion a haunted classroom

Oh yeah. The new post thing isn't green on rpnation dark, and it does look like old rpnation now I think about it. 🤔

RPN Dark looks nicer, not as harsh on the eyes. However, that may just be myself not using the light version already and being used to it.

I agree on the part of the RpNation Dark being oddly bright. Additionally, I like the navigation bar of the old styles versus the new styles otherwise I would probably use the RpNation Light.

I'm a dark mode user; I actually prefer the old style compared to the new one. It has a bit more personality.

Maybe a deeper shade of gray and small hints of vibrance or color might help. I dunno, that's just my own stylistic choice.

Dark mode desktop user

Things I prefer about the original:
-I really like the dark blue BG on the original, so I hope that'll stay an option (even if not the default). Reading white on black hurts my eyes (though I know this is standard for dark modes)
-All colors (especially red) are more jarring/distracting/painful
-I like that in the original, I can reach the forums I want from the main page with one click instead of clicking on the subforums button first.
-The text color variation (from white to grey) for minor details is something I really like in the original (instead of all/mostly white)
-The popup that always appears for me saying "Did you know RPNation supports a light and dark theme..." BURNS my EYES on the new one (but I mean I can just close that)
-The new "report" button really stands out on every post! Kinda brings my mood down, I guess? Like, I read the post and then immediately read the "Report" button, as though it was part of the post.
-Original sidebar doesn't stick out as much (in terms of both color and size)

Things I prefer about the new:
-Sounds silly, but I remember having trouble clicking on the forums every now and then on the original, which probably won't be an issue with this one!
-I use dark mode in a fairly well-lit room so it might be better for genuine "dark" to be black (?)
-I like how visually, the boxes always have "edges" when I make my window smaller
-I like that there's a different color/shade for the left sidebar (where username pictures are) instead of no distinction
-It feels so much "cleaner" when reading convos? - this might be due to the sidebar coloring and the more centered boxes - and also that the RPNation logo doesn't travel
-Quote/Reply bright boxes are gone
-Always appreciate you trying new things to improve the site <3

As a normal Dark Mode user, I find the new version to be pretty clean, so I'm totally into it. That said, I still prefer the old one, but that might just be my preference for the color blue in general. (Not to mention it went well with the snow effect.)

Very minor nitpick lmao, but I think I would prefer that, for conversations, the sidebar sticks with you as you scroll. That way I don't need to scroll up the page if I want to take a look at it.

Last edited:
I definitely prefer the dark as it feels more cohesive. The light version seems to break things apart and colors don't seem to match as well.

I prefer the original dark mode. The dark navy blue + the softer grey text is nicer on the eyes for me. The red usernames the admins have look so, so bright in the new dark theme. The new theme does look super sleek though!! I’d love if there was an option to choose between the original color scheme vs the new one ❤️❤️

I remember with the current dark mode, it used to be black/grey, instead of this blueish color...I 100% preferred the black/grey. Honestly I don't like either of the new dark modes, but I do prefer the trial one to the bluish one....That said it'd be great if you could make an option to go back to the old dark mode... ^^

I like that the new dark mode is completely black, but the like and reply buttons are smaller or less obvious. I like the original dark mode better, but I don't know why. Probably because I'm more used to it.

I'm one a Wii U and I can at least see more clear differences. I'm actually a light mode user and really like Rpnation Light. I can now actually see who's watching the thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back