• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Other Style Feedback

I very much like the RPNation Dark style, it actually feels like Dark Mode. The grainy background in default dark mode has been messing with my eyes since it was created

The topmost bar that holds the RPNation coat of arms and name appears clunky and too big (and the light mode one is simply not blue enough) for my preferences, but the strip that holds the forum buttons underneath seems like a better idea than the horizontal scroll-button thing we have now. I'm also not fond of the too similar colours of posts, the background and everything in-between in both of the new modes, and I'd rather keep the greater shade difference from the current design. While I would prefer to keep the current style since I'm used to it and find the light mode of it much nicer, I can also see myself also getting used to the new one in time. Maybe.

i prefer the old style (using light mode). idk, it just looks & feels a lot cleaner and less cluttered to me?? i need a lot of defined lines and plenty of variation between different styles of text and colors used for different sections, or everything just bleeds into everything else. i don't really feel like the new stuff looks very clean as it is right now, but it could definitely be improved upon? just my personal opinion.

I absolutely love the new version, it's very sleek and easy on the eyes. I personally prefer dark mode (probably because I'm used to it) but I will miss the original modes if they end up deleted. I really do wish links were blue though, so you can realize they are links and not just normal text. Overall, this is a very nice improvement and I absolutely love it.

Hmmm... it doesn't look half bad. I like that it's wider, definitely, though how bloated everything is in the posts kind of makes it seem like there are missing lines? Though it's probably something of "I need to get used to it" rather than "it's bad".

Standard Dark Mode user!
Have to say I really prefer the look and feel
of the current Dark Mode over the New Dark.
I often find true black Dark Modes are just
too jarring with white and colour.
Dark Modes with greys and dark blues are easier
on the eyes. Plus the current Dark Mode has some
personality! I appreciate the textures that current
has as well!

The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard It might have been mentioned before, but in case it hasn't: Some of the tags lose their identifying color in the new dark mode. also, links do not appear colorized either, so they are liable to be missed by a reader.

I like the old styles better. The bluish-black looks better than the straight-up grey, but that might just be prejudice since Deviantart tried making a dark mode with an only black background and that didn't work out so well. As for the light styles, I don't really care.

Have to say I really prefer the look and feel
of the current Dark Mode over the New Dark.
I often find true black Dark Modes are just
too jarring with white and colour.
Dark Modes with greys and dark blues are easier
on the eyes.

I agree. I have really horrible vision, (-13 in the left eye) and it makes me very sensitive to light. The new dark is just a little too much, the black/white contrasts makes all the white fonts even brighter which is the opposite of what I need in a dark mode. Also it seems very 'flat', the current dark mode has a depth to it, while the new one does not.

I prefer the old version myself. I've never been a fan of dark mode so I have no opinion on it changing but old light mode is rly sexy 😳

Holy shit, the dark version is better for a bat like me.
Dark versions are better, change my mind

I vote yes for the rpn dark version

I like them both. Dark works better on my PC, and Light works better on my phone due to lighting issues. So both are great so far. Great job. ^^

The compactness makes it feel like a chat site, like Discord but with having to for the most part, refresh (I know they come up automatically but it's slow, inconsistent and refreshing is the best way to get rid of the notification) Otherwise it's nice. Makes the writing feel more serious, less light-hearted I suppose

On a desktop pc:

Both light styles just feel weird after using the dark mode for so long. At first glance, I prefer the older style over the new one because I like the darker background behind the RPN emblem. I feel like in the new one, the green stands out too much, drawing focus on the "other" and page numbers rather than the actual writing, and I feel like the blue bars on top of each post cut the page into pieces too much - maybe it's good when you do longer posts to have the additional structure, but it feels disruptive as-is in this thread.
That said, I won't be using either light mode, so maybe don't consider this too much.

Dark mode: Both look good, but I prefer the older one. Again the blue lines, especially since they stand out very much compared to the rest of the site. Maybe taking a darker, less disruptive color would help with that? Plus I feel like the old style is more structured, in a way. The grey buttons do something similar like the blue bars in the new one (here's the end of the post!), but they do so quite discreetly - they don't stand out or interrupt, so to speak. And they're easy to find at the same time, too, not just writing. I also feel like the background color and the post background in the older style is just enough to give additional structure, where that's not the case in the new one. Sure, the blue bars do that, now - but I don't like those, as I said. The grey bar with the subforum etc (Forums/RPNation/Community Hub...) do naturally give more structure that works well for me, personally.
So clearly in favor of the old style, here.

On mobile:
Same for light mode - as in "I won't use either of those".

Those blue bars look way better when they're not cutting through the page in 5cm- intervals. I like them on a smartphone. They do their job. I like the darker color over the grey on top, actually. Think I'll stick with this for a while longer, see how it feels - but as a first impression, I like it a lot.

So: Old Dark on a large screen, New Dark (RPNation Dark) on a small screen. Plus two thumbs up for experimenting with this at all, one of the things that we use daily without really noticing too much (at least in my case).

I’m really not a fan, actually. I think the current light and dark modes are easier to navigate. Especially on mobile. For some reason the trial ones you’re testing are sort of messy looking to me, and I think that may be the older look to them.

light mode user here !
the (new) rpn themes remind me of a lot of other clunky rp forums, and one of the reasons i like rpn is bc of its (old) styles: they're more compact + aesthetic + pleasing to the eye

Good work, y'all! I personally prefer the dark mode that's been here (the dark blue one) for my own viewing experience but I'm sure there'll be a lot of people who'll like this new one, so definitely great job on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back