• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Stranger Things Have Happened

NickNacks

Zoinks
The closer Jim Hopper got to the time he had schedules, the more apprehensive he became-not because of the people they were going to see, but because of what might happen along the way. For the most part, El's presence in his home had gone along smoothly aside from his own rusty (to put it very lightly) parental skills. There had been no agents knocking down his door in the middle of the night, no huge catastrophe or aliens or anything of the sort. But strangely, the inactivity only seemed to make him more nervous. It was like the eye of the storm, and any moment, some huge event would trigger some insane adventure, like the one that had occurred just last year.

He had cleaned himself up at least enough to appear presentable, switching out his shirt for one that didn't bear any stains. Still, his brow furrowed as he regarded himself in the mirror. He looked older, though he guessed anyone would at his age. He reached up to scratch his beard briefly before turning from his reflection to the other occupant of his home. El had adjusted well to living with him, which he was glad about even if he was sure she didn't find him all that interesting to hang out with. It was hard to suppress the guilt that arose whenever he glanced at her face. She ought to be with kids her own age, going to school, not holed up in the woods with a policeman incapable of cooking much beyond the realm of frozen dinners.

"You ready to go?" He asked, lightly jerking his head towards the door. Apparently there was some kind of game night happening with the boys at Joyce's place, and El had been invited. He wasn't too sure what he was going to do with himself once he was there. The only other adult in the house was Joyce, and Hopper was never sure if he was making things awkward or difficult by being there. Joyce had been through a parents' worst nightmare that previous year, and it didn't even seem to be over yet, and Will was still having difficulties recuperating from all he had gone through. The whole situation still filled Jim with a sense of frustration at his own inability to do very much to help her, even if he had tried. Why was it that the best people always went through the worst shit?

The beat-up police van coughed and sputtered as he turned the ignition. Though he'd had it for years and it had its own share of problems, Jim was confident in the vehicles steadfast nature, and gave the steering wheel a firm pat as he began the short drive to the Byer's household. "You remember we leave right at eight, okay? And keep your head down on the drive home." His voice was gruff and a little awkward, and he cleared his throat between scentences. Eventually, he pulled up beside the house-for a moment he considered flashing his lights to mess with the kids, but decided it would draw far too much attention. He knocked firmly on the door once the two stood on the front porch, already glancing about for any strange onlookers.

Eleven had adjusted to her new life quite nicely.. It felt nice to have a home and someone who cared for her. Despite their arguments, El loved Hopper. She'd do anything for him. However, She didnt quite understand why she wasnt allowed to spend more time with Mike and her friends.. She didnt know what was at risk. By now she'd already stopped asking to go out with them so she was very excited and surprised that she was allowed out tonight. She couldnt wait to see the outside world! Even if it was only from the beat up police truck.

El had gotten dressed in her favorite overalls and a striped sweater underneath before tidying up the mop of curls on her head. Although she didnt have much hair, she was still so proud of it! She had always wanted to have long and pretty hair. El soon left her room to meet up with Hopper and just in time it seemed. "Yes! I'm ready!" She said, her voice loud with excitement.

El followed Hopper out to the truck and hopped in. "But.. Can't we stay a little later? I never get to see them! Please!" She begged, giving him the sweetest puppy eyes she could muster up. Of course as usual, she assumed the answer would be no.. but she had to ask anyways. Eleven stayed silent for the rest of the drive as she stared out the window, taking in the ouside world. She wished she could go explore it.. but she knew how much trouble she'd be in if she did. As they pulled into the Byer household El jumped out of the car before it was even turned off and ran to the door,waiting.

As the door was knocked on, a large commotion and the sound of something breaking could be heard from inside. "Hey! Cmon guys, calm down." Joyce yelled before opening up the door.

Of course El was quick to try and negotiate the curfew, which Hopper was not at all surprised by. A long sigh left him as he responded with a cryptic, "We'll talk about it." He wasn't likely to budge, but then again, he trusted Joyce and figured that, aside from his cabin, her home was probably the safest place for El to be. Then, of course, was his other concern, and that had more to do with El hanging out with boys. He didn't really care much, but knew that all of them would be getting older soon-that would probably lead to him having to have that kind of talk with her. Just the thought made him feel a headache coming on. Why had he decided it was a good idea to be a parent again?

He cleared his throat yet again as he waited for the door to open, noting the ruckus indoors with some mild amusement. The sound of muffled voices could be heard even through the door.

"Jeez, Dustin, go easy on the Leviathan figure! That cost me a whole five bucks!"

"You're the one who pitched a hissy fit about waiting till she gets here to start playing!"

A moment later, Joyce's voice was clearly audible through the door, and Jim was a little embarrassed at how quickly his attention snapped back to the door when it opened. He greeted the woman with a quick, small smile, even as El undoubtably rushed past him to join the others.

"Nothing on fire yet?" he asked with a warm chuckle.

El quickly pushed past as the door as opened.. maybe not the best manners, but she was so excited. "Mike! Dustin! Will!" She squealed, joining them and giving Mike in particular a big hug. El was especially fond of Will and Dustin but.. She felt differently about mike. She didnt know how she felt though.. she just knew he made her feel.. diffrent.

Joyce smiled as she watched El rush past. "Well, someones awful excited, huh? How's she doing? You know, if you need any help.. Not that you're not capable but shes getting to that age where they get difficult and-" She sighed. "I'm sure you've got things under control." She laughed softly "Not yet.. But at this rate it will be by the end of the night! I love the boys but.. they're hard to handle."

Mike was equally excited to see her, even if he wasn't quite as exuberant about it as El was. It had been a pretty considerable amount of time since he'd last seen El-in fact, before he'd heard that she was staying with Hopper, he'd assumed she was still trapped in the Upside Down, like Will had been. As much as he avoided speaking or even thinking about it, that image of her saying goodbye and seemingly vanishing was still seared into his mind like a nightmare.

So, he gave her a particularly long hug, just because.

It wasn't long, though, before Will was chatting them up about the DnD session planned for that night, complete with a character sheet template he'd made for El. They'd all argued for ten minutes about what kind of class she'd have (Mike kept insisting she was a Mage, but Dustan brought up the possibility of a Rouge), before they'd ultimately decided to let her pick. The gang made their way down to the lower floor of the Byers home, Mike sticking a little closer to El as they walked. "How've you been?" the dark-haired boy asked. "Everything okay?"

Hopper, meanwhile, was in a similar predicament. He went ahead and took a seat at the kitchen table, grimacing when Joyce inquired about his...Parenting style, he guessed it was. He was particularly reluctant to consider himself in a role like that. It felt too close to home, too like he was replacing...

Anyway.

"She's okay," Jim replied. "Things were pretty quiet for a while, but I think she's okay. Better now she can see the others." He nodded, as though reassuring himself for a moment, before his eyes flickered back to Joyce. She looked leagues better now that Will was back-the bags were gone from beneath her eyes, and the constant look of worry was gone too. "You look good. I mean-" That was really not a fantastic way to begin a conversation, now was it? "Better, after everything. How's Will been?"

El held onto Mike like she never wanted to let go. She didnt want to let go. That is until Will started to talk and made the whole thing awkward. El slowly moved away from Mike, listening to everything Will had to say but overall not understanding much of it anyways. All that El really knew how to play were a few board games thanks to Hopper. El followed Mike downstairs slowly.. dragging it out a lot. "I dont know.." She said softly. "I want to be with you.. guys. I'm never allowed." She said, sighing as one of her curls fell down into her eyes.

Joyce took a seat on the couch. "Well thats good.. Im glad. You're really doing a good thing.." She said, lighting a cigarette. "She loves you, you know." Joyce kicked her feet up onto the coffee table and took a puff of her cigarette.. she certainly seemed more relaxed. She blushed slightly at the compliment. "Thanks..Will's doing alright.. He's just been struggling with the same ptsd. So far its not gotten worse though."

Mike frowned a little at the less-than-optimistic response. She was right. Being cooped up in a cabin sounded like it sucked, and Mike would probably go crazy if he were in a situation like that. "Yeah...It's really lame. I missed you-well, we all did," he amended quickly, nodding to the other three leading the way. "Maybe Hopper would let me come visit and stuff? If we were really secretive about it, I think it'd be fine, right?" Well, to his logic it would be. He'd already helped save Hawkins once, he felt like that entitled him to at least talk with his friend once in a while. Surely Hopper would be willing to do that, at least.

A small smile crossed Jim's face as Joyce made herself comfortable, the faint scent of cigarette smoke in the air as she lit up. "Those things'll kill you. y'know." he commented, rather ironic considering he smoked on occasion himself-not as much as he had while in High School, but still. He was trying to quit for El's sake. As the conversation turned to Will, however, his expression sobered. "Yeah. Rough stuff for anybody to go through. You know, if you or him need me, I'm not far off."

He decided not to mention the comment about El loving him. It was a little too emotional for him at the moment to be discussing in someone's kitchen.

"I missed you too.." She said, sighing. "I dont know.. I dont think he trusts you." She stated. "Or me.. or something. I can ask though.." When they made it downstairs and to the table El sat down next to Mike and Dustin. El looked over to Dustin, tilting her head slightly. "Teeth!" She said, sticking her fingers into his mouth to feel them.

Joyce chuckled slightly, taking another puff of her cigarette. "Hmm.. Prove it. I wouldnt be alive if it werent for these things." Joyce did look a lot happier and younger now that she wasnt an absolute mess. "Will's having trouble making friends.. He's getting bullied." She sighed. "It just sucks because i know how that feels.. and after all he's been through he doesnt deserve this. He's the sweetest and most innocent kid i know!" Joyce glanced to Hopper.. she could tell he didnt like that statement. "Hey, Is everything really alright? You know you can talk to me."

Mike's brow furrowed at her reply. "What? That's...Not fair." He mused, shaking his head. Maybe he could talk to Wills mom-she was a little more approachable than Hopper was. Still, he didn't want to linger on that negative note, and was quick to settle in with the others, laughing at El's reaction to Dustin's teeth. "Woah, hey!" He exclaimed, laughing as he nudged her hands away from Dustin's mouth.

Hopper folded his arms, resting them lightly atop the table. Truth be told, he liked the Byer's house a little more than his cabin. The woods were beautiful, but the atmosphere of family in this place was...Well, it was nice. Jim hummed sympathetically in response to her concerns about Will. Kids could seriously be jerks sometimes, Jim knew that. "Yeah. I remember getting pissed off when I saw people getting picked on in school. Cowardly thing to do." he mused. "If it gets bad, let me know. I'll swing by the school and scare 'em a little." He offered her a reassuring smile, even though it slackened a bit at her next question.

Jim Hopper had never been particularly good at discussing emotions, most of all his own. But, this was Joyce asking him if he was okay, and if anyone could get through to him, she was probably the most effective candidate. He regarded her for a moment before shrugging and giving a sigh. "I dunno. I guess I just didn't think I'd be parenting again after-..."

Abruptly, he cut himself off. For a moment, his gaze seemed to drift somewhere far away, and all at once he appeared very old and very sad.

"I just didn't think I'd be parenting. That's all."

El nodded and chuckled as her hand was pushed away from Dustin's mouth. "hey! Can i touch your teeth then?" She asked as she stuck her fingers in his face, laughing. "Lets go for a walk. Outside." She said.. She knew the trouble she could get in but she didnt care. She wanted to see the world.. and she wanted to have some time with Mike. "We can use the back door. He'll never find out! Just a few minutes."

Joyce sighed.. She knew the nightmare of losing a child.. but he didnt get his back. "Hop.." She said, offering him a cigarette. "I know this is probably very hard. But this is your chance.. Maybe you couldnt save her but you can save El. She needs you.. I know she can be difficult sometimes but she doesnt know anything but neglect and abuse.. She has to learn. Hell, Even if she's a teenager now shes not in the same mindset as one."

Mike grinned and turned his face away from her hands, lightly shoving her hands away. "Leave my teeth out of it!" He insisted, though he was a little taken aback when El offered to take a walk outside. He rolled his eyes at the commentary from the others, standing up and dusting his hands off on his jeans. "Sure, if you want," He replied, following her out of the back door.

Hop. The nickname, which was common in the Police office with the other fellows, sounded ten times different when it came from her. He almost didn't recognize it. He avoided looking in Joyce's direction-any thought of little Sarah felt like a physical pain in his chest. Jim swallowed, bringing a palm to lightly rub over his face for a moment. "I know," he said wearily after a moment, finally accepting the smoke from her. "I just worry." Vauge but honest. He had lost Sarah in the worst way imaginable. The thought of that happening to El...That would be enough to jut break him down.

El laughed as her hands were once again shoved away. El still wasnt exactly good with personal space.. even if she was just playing around at the moment. El led him upstairs very quietly and out the back door. "I'm never allowed outside.. but i like the trees and the squirrels. They're so cute.. I wish i had a pet." Of course, El had never asked but she had been told no so many times that she'd given up on asking for much.

Joyce sighed. "I know. Just know that I'm here for you.. So is El. You're not alone." Joyce fell into silence for a few moments before looking back up to Hopper. "So.. Tonight. Its the anniversary. Can you stay over? I know thats weird.. I'd just feel a lot safer. The boys are all staying over so El can stay with them.. She'd probably have fun. Her first real sleepover?" She seemed nervous asking such a thing.. But she simply couldnt be alone tonight.

Mike tucked his hands in his pockets, squinting up at a few of the trees which surrounded the Byer's household. He couldn't see any squirrels at the moment. the evening air was fresh, and still a bit warm even as fall steadily approached. "Maybe we could catch one. It shouldn't be too hard, right? Besides, Hopper doesn't have to know...At least, I don't think he does.." Mike seemed a little less than confident at his ability to keep secrets from the chief of police.

Jim didn't say anything in response, but offered Joyce a small smile to let her know he'd heard. Asking for help...Well, suffice it to say that it wasn't his forte by any means at all. When she continued, however, he quickly looked back at her, gaze steady and unwavering. Had the anniversary really come up so fast? Of course his first instinct was to give Joyce anything she wanted without thinking twice, but he made himself consider it before answering. He didn't believe anyone had seen him or El on their way over. Sure, his cop car would look a little suspicious just parked near her house, and rumors would undoubtably fly, but none regarding El.

Not to mention the fact that she felt safer when he was around...

"Yeah, okay," Jim replied with a short nod. "I don't mind doing that. She'll be over the moon about it, too."

El started walking out into the woods, taking it all in. Everything was so beautiful and rare to her.. she loved it out here. "Really?! We could do that? That'd be so cool!" She smiled, the thought of that seeming to be magical to her. She was alone a lot.. Any company she could get would brighten up her day even if just a little. El was silent for a few moments before sighing. "I missed you, Mike."

Joyce smiled. "Thank you." She seemed relieved.. she was relieved. She had been so worried about it. "You can leave super early before the sun comes up with El or i can watch her while you work and you can pick her up afterwards. Of course, Thats up to you. I know theres some danger involved in having her around." She said. "Hey.. has she ever like.. gotten violent? I mean, she's just a kid and with her abilities.. Her fits are probably much worse."

The woods seemed a bit strange and threatening to Mike now, after everything that had happened the past year. He followed El, of course, but his steps were a little hesitant, a little more careful than they had been before, when he'd been overconfident and brash as most young boys his age were. A pair of dark eyes roamed the trees before settling on El once she spoke. 'Missed' seemed like an understatement. He was still partially angry with Hopper and Joyce for letting him believe she was...Gone, or dead, or something similar. Mike nodded, brow creasing. "Yeah...For a while, I thought maybe you were...I don't know. Gone."

"If it's all the same to you, Joyce, I'd rather just take her home myself. I don't want to put you all in the middle of things. You've been through enough already." Though he knew she was only trying to help, his tone was firm and settled on the matter. As long as there was a potential threat, he'd keep Joyce out of it for as long as he could. In response to her question, he shook his head. "No, not really. I mean...She's frustrated, sure, but she's got a good handle on things from what I can gather. Once she's a teenager..." He shuddered at the mere thought. "I can only imagine."

The woods were almost magical to El.. Most of what she knew was a lab, the cabin and what she saw on the Tv. El sighed. "I tried to make contact.. I dont think it worked. I tried everyday.." El didnt quite grasp the danger she was in.. She didnt understand why Hopper didnt want her to leave. Surely he was just paranoid. There was soon a rustling in the bushes. "Is it a squirrel?!" She asked, excitement overcoming her as she rushed towards it.

"Alright. But just know that If you need help I'm willing. I always wanted a girl.. and i always got boys" She chuckled. "Not too late i guess.. but getting there. Of course i love my boys though." Joyce thought for a moment. "Oh yeah.. arent you excited to have a pmsing and Boy crazy teenage girl with freaky powers?" She chuckled. "I'm sure both of those talks will be fun for you."

Mike paused in his steps as El mentioned making contact, his own voice soft when he replied. "I called you, too. On my radio. Did you ever hear me?" For some reason, the question made him feel shy and vulnerable, and he was almost glad when El quickly darted off after a squirrel. It took Mike a moment to snap back into reality, and he quickly followed. "Did you see one?"

A low-pitched groan left Hopper as he buried his face in his hands. "Oh, god, please don't remind me...Maybe I can recruit you for those kinds of things. There's some stuff you gotta talk about with another girl, y'know?" Christ, El wasn't far from that age, either...

"Yes.. I heard you everyday." El managed to get out before darting off. She got down on her knees and reached her hand into the bush before a low growl could be heard and she pulled her arm back. "Ow!" She exclaimed as tears filled her eyes and a stray dog darted out from the bush and off deeper into the woods. El looked down at her arm as blood dripped down and onto her clothes. However, The blood wasnt what she was worried about.. they were busted. They had to tell Hopper now.

Joyce thought for a moment. "Well.. I dont know. Hearing it from you might mean a lot more to her.. you might be able to get the point across better. I can always help.. but i think it means more from her feather figure. Just be prepared cause.. she'll be hitting puberty real soon."

As soon as El exclaimed, Mike darted over, his hand on her shoulder. The dog barked a few times, and he watched it lope off-probably a stray or something like that. "Did he bite you? Jeez..." A glance down revealed the answer to that question easily enough, as she was bleeding from her arm. "We'd better make sure you don't get rabies or something." Mike was quick to help her up, keeping close to steady her, but it appeared they didn't have far to walk-Hopper was already rushing out of the door.

As soon as he'd heard the shout and the barking, he got up from the table and raced outside. "El? El, whaddaya think you're doing?" He demanded. "What's the number one rule? Don't be stupid! What if-" His frustrated tone trailed off as soon as he noticed the blood on her sleeve and the tears in her eyes. A low sigh left him. "You come on back in the house and let me have a look at that, okay?"

El seemed comforted by Mike's touch. "He-He's gonna kill me we cant tell him! We cant.." She said, seemingly in a state of panic. As soon as El saw Hopper she just started sobbing. The fear of punishment like she had endured at the lab overcame the shooting pain in her arm. “I-I’m sorry.. I’m sorry.” El slowly approached him and hugged him, climbing up into his arms as tears streamed down her face. “Sorry..” Blood was dripping from her arm and onto both of their clothes.

Joyce had ran out after Hopper, panicking just as much. She cared about El too of course.. And her motherly instincts had only gotten stronger with Will's ordeal. She also knew that if something were to happen to El.. Hopper would just die.

"Woah, woah, hey...Hey, that's okay.." Hopper was taken aback by how quick El was to apologize, already quick to assume she was to blame for her injury. True, Hopper wished she would've been more careful, but...That really wasn't his main concern. He was quick to stoop down and actually pick her up-tall or not, she was still fairly light-and began the walk back up to the house. "You're okay, kid. I was just worried. Nearly gave me a heart attack back there. C'mon, let's get a look at that scratch, huh?"

El was practically shaking with fear of what his reaction might be. Of course Hopper had never harmed her, but she was so used to abuse that its all she could think about. El seemed to relax a bit as she was picked up and layed her head on his shoulder as the fear turned to pain. "I just wanted the dog.." Although most kids her age would hate being babied and picked up, El loved it. El never got that love as a child.. So she craved it. Joyce soon caught up, cigarette still in hand. "What happened?! Is she okay? Mike, What the hell were you thinking?!"

Mike was staring at the scene with wide eyes, equal parts worried and dismayed. Hopper shook his head slowly. He couldn't fault the poor kid-she just wanted to get outside after being cooped up for so long, and Mike was too young to really understand the gravity of the situation. "I know. You're okay," Hopper assured El as he carried her back into the house. It had been...Years, come to think of it, since he last held a child in his arms like this. He could still vividly remember the last time. Sarah had gotten sick and frail to the point where she was heartbreakingly light in his arms. El wasn't that level of scrawny, but she still had a bit of growing to do after her malnourishment in the lab.

Mike's eyes widened as Joyce shouted. "I-I didn't-She just said she wanted to go for a walk-I didn't think-"

"Don't have an aneurysm, Mike. It's okay," Hop interjected over his shoulder. "She'll be fine." With that, he took El into the kitchen, setting her down on the counter in order to roll up her sleeve and have a better look at her arm.

Joyce sighed. "You just have to be more careful, Mike. She cant be outside. Now go back to the boys.." She said softly as she followed Hopper. El held onto Hopper silently as she was carried back into the house. However, She couldnt help but think of the dog.. Wether it bit her or not, She felt bad for it. It was all alone.. Maybe she just scared it. El had to be practically ripped away from him to be sat on the counter, she didnt want to let go of him. She wanted to be held forever. When she had finally given up and gave in to sitting on the counter she sniffled softly, her face stained from tears. She watched and whimpered in pain as her sleeve was rolled up. The bite was pretty bad.. It'd certainly scar.

Hopper could feel her fingers gripping onto his shirt when he set her down, and it was then that he realized the actual gravity of the situation. He had simply scooped her up because he had once been a father, and it was likely sheer instinct. It hadn't occurred to him that El had probably never been held or picked up before in her life. His heart just about broke for her. He clicked his tongue sympathetically as he rolled her sleeve up. The bite wasn't scary looking, but it was certainly painful. "You think we're gonna have to cut it off?" he asked with mock seriousness, hoping to at least manage a laugh out of El as he opened the cabinets for a few cleaning supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back