• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Storm King's Thunder [CLOSED]

Sir Fishbanner's eyes widen at Snikket's words, and he nods in approval. The Fur Trader and the halfling Priest of Waukeen look at each other, communicating something without words. The late addition to the party, Mr. Ludlow, shouts, "Huzzah!" and starts to applaud.

kossuth.jpgAll at once, and quite unexpectedly, the flames behind Snikket flare and roar up, coalescing into a great humanoid shape of pure fire that stands fifteen feet tall, its fiery hairs brushing the lower sails. The air around you is hot enough to be painful. The Fishbanners and other member of the audience cry out and lean back in their seats, all but Mister Ludlow and Captain Suljack. Ludlow grins and claps his hands together in delight. The Captain leaps to her feet and starts to bark orders before Doctor Lurr rushes over to reassure her that this is just part of the show. However, when the Doctor looks back at the titan of flame, there is fear in his eyes.

"For you who call on the flames of Kossuth," booms a deep, crackling voice from the dancing tower of fire, "I grant this warning: My daughter, Mad Maegera the Dawn Titan, is taken from her prison. Even now, designs are laid on her power. There is one who commissioned this theft, to forge an ancient weapon of war. Maegera's foregone riot in your world will be as nothing next to the wreckage to come."

Having said its piece, the flame presence gutters down, returning the fires to their previous state. Those who watch look scared and confused, muttering among themselves. Composing himself, Doctor Lurr stands and begins to applaud, nodding to the rest of the audience to join in, which they soon do, sighing in relief at the suggestion that this was a planned part of the performance. Mister Ludlow, clapping with the others, stares at Snikket with great interest.

"And now," proclaims Doctor Lurr, "I present the great Aseir, a master of air who strides on the breeze as if it were a paved boulevard. Behold!" He looks to the genasi with more than a little desperation.

Snikket grabs Raven by his collar, and drags him out of the center of attention whispering in his ear as they walk. "Kossuth speaks to me! This good!" He pauses for a second, before shaking his head. "No, this bad. Very bad. A warning to us... But he did warn us.. this good and bad... We must talk off ship later."

Aseir whistles loudly, drawing the audience's attention to his place atop the shiip's mast. Satisfied the crew and customers are looking at him, he jumps off the crow's nest to catch the trapeze, soaring down across the deck in a wide arc. Reaching the zenith above the audience, Aseir begins his performance running through a series of acrobatic tricks. He performs a set of contortions as he swings through the air, forcing his body around the bar in myriad ways as he soars through the air. As his momentum begins to slow he begins a set of flips and somersaults, catching and releasing the bar to drive himself further and further back into the sky. A practiced eye would catch his hand slipping a few times through the performance, but Aseir manages to avoid a disastrous fall.

Until, suddenly, he releases himself from the bar, flipping forward to catch it with his foot Aseir rotates just a bit too slowly and he misses the mark. Seeing the trapeze continue hurtling through the air without him, he begins to plummet downward toward the deck and the calm water. As he falls a grin stretches across his face and he lets out a high-pitched scream that almost seems to echo. He raises his hands in defense as he plummets headfirst toward the audience--and stops, suddenly, doing a handstand an inch the halfling's head. Aseir lets out a hearty laugh and begins to twist and contort as he hangs upside down in midair. At the end of his act he blows the audience a kiss goodbye and floats skyward--again upside down--up to the sail rigging.

The audience oohs and ahs at Aseir's death-defying fall and recovery. There is warm applause as he retreats up into the sails. Doctor Lurr thanks all present for their hospitality before pointing out that Lecuis has been providing the musical accompaniment for the entertainment, and will now take center stage as a soloist.

Snikket releases his hold on Raven's collar, and motions to follow him to one of the less crowded parts of the deck. "Kossuth is the dragon's breath. The heat of the coals on a funeral pyre. Kossuth is the Lord of Flames." Seeing that they are in as private a place as they can find on the deck, Snikket stops. "He speaks to me, and shows me the way forward. He grants his worshippers many gifts." Snikket smiles as a flame briefly dances between his finger tips before snuffing itself out.

Snikket shakes his head. "That was a warning. Kossuth not usually very... talkative. Him talking in front of whole boat means that message was very important." He pauses, in thought for a second. "This is a thing we must take care of."

Raven gives a sharp noise. "how. He will never let us go off and do it, especially not me." The tabaxi's tail thrashes behind him as he growls, "Nothing I can do, Kobold."

Seeing the worried look on the doctors face, Lecuis decided this was not the night for a new song. "Snikket, I need to borrow one of your fire bowls. Raven, bout ten seconds into the song give me flower petals falling please. This will be a performance of a life time." Grabbing the bowl and his lute he walked to the stage area and set the bowl down then lit a flame in it. Using thaumaturgy he lowerd the flames of the torches and changed the bowls flame to blue. Again with thaumaturgy, a roll of thunder comes from behind him in the distance and the crowd hushed to see if a storm was actually coming or not.

As a silence fell over the crowd, Lecuis began to play and sing a song of lost love, of young love. The petals fell on que and Lecuis lost himself to the song. As the final note rang out across the water and faded from ear he put out the blue flame and bowed his head, smothered in sweat and the fear he always felt. Beneath his breath he prayed that it was enough

Snikket waves his hand dismissively at Raven. "The Doctor took Snikket in when no one else would, but Kossuth has given Snikket much. He will give Snikket a sign to tell us our path." As Lecuis' acts starts, Snikket starts to make his way back into the crowd and toward the Doctor.

Doctor Lurr raises his eyebrows at Snikket as the kobold finds a seat. Everyone quiets down when Lecuis takes the stage. The magical thunder rolls away, leaving just the lapping of the waves and the wind snapping at the sails.

The guests and the crew are moved indeed. The Baronet and Lady hold hands and look at each other. The Baronet's daughter blinks tears from her eyes as she gazes at Lecuis. Even the hardened sailors are affected; the man with the hook for a hand sniffs back great sobs.

When it's over, there is a standing ovation. The Quartermaster makes a brief speech thanking Doctor Lurr and the rest of you, and then more rounds of the punch from below are served as the chairs are taken away and the guests stand to mingle once more.

Doctor Lurr hunts down Raven directly. "What on earth was that business with you pretending to attack the Fire Sage? Did you two work that out in advance? We might need to refine it a bit. I believe I have some ideas. And that big fire critter Snikkers popped up...I didn't know he had it in him!" His cheeks are flushed from all the drink he's had this evening.

Bringing Aseir into his orbit as well, the Doctor suggests that the Snapdragon will head back to the dock soon and that everything should be made ready to offload on arrival. "I'd like to get all the bric-a-brac onto the wagon tonight so we can leave first thing tomorrow morning," he says. "An opportunity has presented itself between here and Mirabar, if we can make the time to look into it." He taps his breast pocket and winks conspiratorially.

Mister Ludlow, he of the white hair and eye patch, catches Snikket by the arm and guides him off to one side. "Congratulations on a commendable performance, sir. But why did you bring in that business about the Dawn Titan? What made you say that?" He seems suddenly serious in contrast to his earlier levity.

Amid the mingling and handshakes, Lecuis finds himself face to face with Tambjorg Fishbanner, the Baronet's daughter. "That was really quite good," she says. "I saw through the magic tricks, of course, but the music, I mean, how did you learn to play like that? I dabble a bit at the harpsichord myself, but maybe I should take up the lute. What do you think? Could you teach me a chord or two?"

Raven is Not comfortable in this situation. He keeps within a few feet of snicket at all times, not trusting the figure who had snagged the small Kobold.

Snikket shakes his head at Ludlow, speaking lowly so only the two of them and Raven can hear. "Snikket is a servant of Kossuth. Kossuth said the words, not Snikket." He pauses for a moment, looking suspiciously at Ludlow. "What do you know about this Dawn Titan?"

"My lady," Lecuis bows slightly and as he his gaze remeets her's his has a subtle glow to it, "Normally I wouldn't share my tricks. But I feel a certain spark from you. I'll show you 3 chords. But I feel I should warn you" he moves closer and speaks just barely loud enough for her to hear, "My lessons have known to be intense and last throughout the night." having set the final bait for the hook. Lecuis does the kiss sound near her ear again and continues on glad handing everyone.

Mister Ludlow frowns slightly at Snikket's protestations, then recovers with a wry smile. "Yes, of course. You are a professional and I am one of the rabble in the stands. You must have your secrets. Just be warned, if word of your performance gets back to the Arcane Brotherhood, this religious fervor pose will not serve you well. And if you ever play in Gauntlgrym, I trust you'll drop that last bit from your routine entirely."

Meanwhile, over with Lecuis, Tambjorg Fishbanner murmurs, "Such fire! If that's what the lessons are like, I'd worry about getting blisters on my fingers from the strings. But maybe I can stop by for just a short tutorial. Am I correct that while in Luskan your music studio is at this Seven Sails Inn?" With this confirmed, the presents her hand and then is off to chat with Ursula Eastwood the Fur Trader.

As time has passed, Doctor Lurr has become embroiled in jocular conversation with a couple of members of the crew: the elf who offered punch before the show and the Reghed barbarian woman. At some point, Raven and Snikket notice the three of them, laughing and intoxicated, slip off down the stairs leading belowdecks.

At last the man with the hook for a hand begins calling the crew to prepare for the return to port. The anchor is hauled in and the rigging adjusted. The bugbear topman clambers up the mast. Soon after, he calls down with nautical slang that Lecuis recognizes as meaning he's sighted something of interest to starboard. The man with the hook and Captain Suljack confer. She takes out her spyglass and scans the dark waters. They call over the quartermaster, who then addresses the passengers on deck. "Everyone below, please. We'll need to be tending to the ropes and sails up here and don't want anyone getting tangled up."

Raven stiffens, casting a nervous glance at Snikket. "do we have to? I don't...it looks cramped." He mutters softly even as he slowly moves towards the stairs.

After the brief conversation with Doctor Lurr, Aseir climbs back up into the rigging to better feel the wind in his hair. When the bugbear climbs back up, Aseir does his best to keep out of the way, but pretends like he didn't hear the call to go belowdecks.

Lecuis smiles to her, "of course darling, I'll leave a rose for you by the door" then, hearing the warning he moved to Snikket and Raven, whispering to then, "Head down but stay close to the stairs, trouble may be coming and I'd hate to see us be caught unaware." he then quickly moves starboard and tries to angle to end close to where the captain is.

Raven nods, taking a quick few steps down the stairs, clearly uncomfortable as one hand clings to the sickle that hangs on his belt and the other rubs at his collar anxiously.

Snikket grimaces, confused at Ludlow's reaction, but bows nonetheless. "Snikket appreciates your wisdom."

As the quartermaster makes the announcement, Snikket begins walking towards the stairs with the group. Seeing Raven's reticence, he pats the Tabaxi on his arm to try and calm him. With Lecuis's warning, Snikket glances around nervously, staying close to the group and reflexively slinking down to appear as small as possible.

As Aseir hides from those on deck in the ship's rigging he is approached by the bugbear crewmember, who introduces himself as Ruyuk. Ruyuk just smiles at Aseir as he works, apparently uninterested in forcing the Genasi belowdecks with the rest of the circus and guests.

Lady Fishbanner, her daughter Tambjorg, the fur merchant and the halfling priest of Waukeen join Snikket and Raven below deck without objection. Mister Ludlow, seemingly exempt from the order, goes to confer with Captain Suljack at the rail.

Sir Fishbanner does not go below, but instead objects vociferously to the quartermasters orders, demanding to know what is going on and be returned to Luskan at once. It is during this interval that Lecuis moves to observe not far from the Captain.

"They've toyed with us enough," Captain Suljack says to the man with the burnt cheek and hook, who Lecuis can surmise is the first mate. "A few good bolts to the hull and those icy brutes will sink like a stone. They don't think we have the nerve for it, that's all. Ready the crew for a broadside. We do it for Ship Suljack and for Luskan."

The Baronet's objections have reached a sort of apotheosis, causing the Captain to turn and shout at him, "Sir, you are aboard my ship and will kindly do as you are asked." She turns back to Mister Ludlow and the first mate without bothering to see if the Baronet complies. He sputters another word or two before turning gruffly and descending the stairs.

More members of the crew have joined the bugbear Ruyuk among the sails, while others make adjustments below. Aseir is thus-far unable to discern what got Ruyuk's attention off in the darkness. The half-orc woman with the terrible teeth hands a stray rope to Aseir. "Hold this for me, chappy" she says. The sails adjusted, the ship catches wind and begins to turn.

Freed of the Baronet, the half-elven quartermaster Uldvald spots Lecuis leaning against the rail. "What, you too? It's no place for gawkers up here. Ship's business. Down below with you."

As the Baronet takes his place in the hold with Raven, Snikket and the others, he huffs and grumbles. His wife and daughter try to calm him, to no avail. "There will be restitution for this insult, I assure you!" he vows. "I've half a mind to commandeer one of those rowboats and make for shore. Who's with me?"

The ship's bells ring, and the male elf and Reghed woman who came down here with Doctor Lurr earlier soon scamper out from behind some containers at the aft and of this large open space. They seem a bit tipsy as they pull themselves up the stairs. A little later, Doctor Lurr himself steps out from the same hiding spot, adjusting his collar. He startles a bit to see the group assembled down here. "What seems to be the trouble?" he asks.

"Actually sir, I have some experience with this sort of thing. If I can be of any assistance I will gladly lend a hand. Anything to get us safely to Port, tonight." lecuis' heart races at the thought of some fun at sea again, but at the back of his mind is the words, and the lust in the eyes, of young lady Tambjorg Fishbanner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back