What's new

Storm King's Thunder

ramonlimon2

Junior Member
Taking a second look at the ogre that just felled Torem, Aseir opts to charge away.

The genesis readies his spear as he runs and slams full speed into the worg that bears down on Lycan. Pushing the advantage, Aseir readjusts his hands for a better grip and stabs the beast a second time before it can rear back and strike.
 

Ellywyck27

Ironfist, Galanodel
As the ogre takes out Torem with one swipe, all the strength drains from Ruth. His limp body lies at the ogre’s feet, who looks deadly even with sleep in it’s eyes. But she would never leave an ally fallen in battle. Ruthenia swings at the ogre’s knee, threatening, “Give us back the villagers or die!!!”

The makeshift ogre club smashes into her, breaking ribs and knocking the breath from her lungs. She nearly goes unconscious, but, alas, is full alert to hear (and smell) the sickening ogre roar in her face. Confirming the grip on her shield, she swings again with a prayer for the divine to smite through her hammer, enjoying the thunk of the landing blow to the kneecap.

Frightened and near to death, Ruthenia tries to run backwards toward the tunnel for better cover, but her legs don’t obey. She’s frozen in this spot.
 

Baba Luga

Vestige
Moments later, the frantic fighting has stopped. From a hiding place inside the ogre's stalagmite-ringed nest, Bell is able to place an arrow in the wounded worg's brain. The beast's death weakens the harassing goblins' morale. WIth some of the pressure lifted, everyone is able to focus on the lumbering ogre, who, soon tires of the pricks of spear tips and the burning smites of Ruth's hammer, drops her improvised stalagmite club and wanders off to the mud pool at the other end of the cavern. With a great yawn, she settles down in the thick bath and, with snorts and growls of contentment, drifts off to sleep.

Seeing both ogre and worg removed, the remaining goblins cry in outrage and flee into the two western passages. Lecuis rushes over to his comrades and begins reciting little songs of healing, first to Ruth, then to Torem.

Five fingers swing the hammerhead
five fingers soothe the hammered head
that's my philosophy

Come back from the slums of the dead, sleepyhead
these caves run five more levels deep at least
there's an elephant-dragon down below
with a treasure horde for good girls and boys
.

Torem slowly opens his eyes and looks around. He grips Ruth's arm. "We made it?" he asks.

Lecuis brings Aseir's dropped bullseye lantern with him. The swinging beam illuminates the immediate area around this northeast corner of the cavern: the nearby pool, slimy and stagnant, looks seriously unhealthy. Ruth has seen more than one desperate soldier made seriously ill by drinking from such. A thin scummy runoff dribbles out of it, down the northeast passage, which in short order leads to a smaller sunken cavern. Now that the sounds of snarls, shouts and steel no longer fill the air, intermittent dripping can be heard through the ogre's echoing snores.
 
Last edited:

ZombWie

Hircus Hornbrow
Bell stands up a little straighter after the last goblin falls dead. He checks over himself for any injuries gone unnoticed, none found the kenku walks back to the group. With a low whistle and a gesture Bell indicates that there is something interesting in the cluster of stalagmites in the center of the room.

Once he is sure the others have their priorities in order, Bell moves across the cavern toward the fallen goblins in the western section of the cave. He stoops to give the grubby monsters a quit pat down while trying not to breathe though his nares. Scooping up any intact arrows that he find he quickly refills his quiver and takes any that he may be able to salvage for Lycan who was firing off twice as many arrows as Bell. With a shake of his head the kenku wonders how he might increase his firing rate. Two shots in the time an enemy can take one is a handy feature to have, He will have to discuss technique with Lycan at a future time when they aren't elbow deep in goblin muck.

Satisfied with his inspection of the bodies and collection of arrows, Bell moves back toward the center of the room careful not to disturb the slumbering ogre. The fight could have been much worse if they put down that monstrosity. They will need to find another, safer way out if they manage to rescue the townspeople. So far, both entrances that the group has used have been less than welcoming.

Seeing that Aseir has the nest inspection under control Bell continues to the eastern side of the cavern and gives a nod to Lecuis and Lycan when he sees them. The worg and final two goblins are two close to the ogre, so Bell decides to forego a closer inspection. He gives a look in that direction, but doesn't approach the ogre's mud pool. If there is nothing to see Bell retreats to the nest inside the stalagmite ring and gives Aseir a shrug as if to say, What did you find?
 

ramonlimon2

Junior Member
With the immediate threats dead or gone, Aseir turns to exploring the cave more fully. The nest of stalagmites offers some shelter so he squeezes in between two of the jagged pillars.
 

Ellywyck27

Ironfist, Galanodel
Ruthenia, kneeling beside Torem, returns the grip on her arm, and says grimly, “You made it. There is more to come.”
She helps him stand and motions for him to stay there and to keep quiet. She herself cautiously joins Aseir to see what might be found among the stalagmites.
 

Baba Luga

Vestige
Nestled in the stalagmite nest, among the moldy hides and blankets, the cracked tuns and burst sacks, Ruth, Aseir and Torem see what Bell found earlier. Aseir reflexively turns back and cannot look, while Ruth examines the body of a middle-aged woman that has been partly eaten in big radial bites, like an ear of corn. Torem stands at Ruth's side, watching her reaction, which he does his best to mirror. "Ogogla," he says. "She was one of the Osstra family; wheat farmers."

A slithering, shimmery sound creeps through the cavern. Lecuis lifts his head. "That's a gong," he says. "They're just rubbing it with the mallet, but still, nobody ever wrote a lullaby for gong." He nods in the direction of the snoring ogre.

"Truuuuce? Parlaaay?" a high, scratchy voice asks from one of the western passages. The soft, shimmering sound of the gong drones on from the same direction.
 

Baba Luga

Vestige
snigbat.jpgAseir's focused lantern beam swings away from the ogre nest, leaving Ruth and Torem in the murk with the savaged corpse. Gliding across the far wall of the cavern, the light sparks off the beaten bronze disk of the gong Lecuis foretold, as the goblin who holds it steps partly out from one of the tunnels. She wears a chaotic headpiece of bird skulls and other oddments. It's like something Snikket, the kobold from Dr. Lurr's circus, might have donned for his "Fire Seer" act.

"I speak for Boss Hark," the goblin rasps, blinking her red eyes at Aseir. "You are the speaker for the basher-smashers. What do you wish? Why have you come bashing and smashing?" Her gaze flits down to the dead goblin archer near her feet, and she adjusts her grip on the mallet.
 

ramonlimon2

Junior Member
"What do I wish?" Aseir mutters to himself. He begins to pace in a tight line for a moment, considering the question.

Perking his head up, Aseir speaks with the practiced drawl of a circus announcer. Loud enough to command the audience's attention, just slow enough for speaker and listener both to savor each word while still building a tempo.
"First, my lady, a question. You have us at such a terrible disadvantage, for you know us but we do not know you." He bows deeply, capping it off with a flourish. "I am Aseir the Unbound, genasi of some local repute and the unquestioned leader of this band of Basher-Smashers. I would know the name of you who speaks for Boss Hurk, my partner in negotiation."

Aseir pauses for a moment to let the words sink in, before continuing, "pray tell me, madam, what is to stop us from making a clean exit at this moment right now? There is the ogre which you are threatening us to wake by one exit, that slimy monstrous thing by another." He spits the word thing with venom. "What option do we have if I choose to withdraw my Basher-Smashers without another fight?"
 

Baba Luga

Vestige
The goblin comes a bit more into the light, makes a sort of curtsy, and says, "I am Snigbat, provisional nilbog to Boss Hark of the Bigwig Doombringers." She grins a sly, toothsome grin. "You want to go now? You are tired of bashing and smashing? No, then, do not wake up sleepy Nob, Aseir of the Basher-Smashers, for then there will be more bashing and smashing. Oh, but if you were to go back through the good-water tunnels and use your smashing on the Blob, with finality, Boss Hark would be well pleased I think, and give you a reward and your own big wig!"
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Top