Experiences Still having a hard time finding new RP partners...

I'm still having a hard time finding new RP partners on this site...I keep bumping my latest search thread, but I keep going ignored for some reason. And the few people who have responded to my search thread that I was able to start an RP with have gone quiet, most likely because of the real life getting to them. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but there must be a reason as to why my RP search thread keeps getting ignored. So what is it exactly that I'm doing wrong?

I wouldn't say your doing anything wrong. Most people on this site have a hard time finding partners. I feel like people have a tendency to take things personally when they don't find partners right away. As if everyone else is getting all these partners and they're being left out.

I average usually one to one and a half partners at a time. I will usually send out requests to five or so people at a time (if I have the free time to do so) and might get one reply back (or no replies back).

When I do get a partner it's not unheard of them to drop out due to IRL or we just aren't compatible in some way.

I wouldn't take any of that seriously and just remind yourself that this isn't a competition or a performance review.

You aren't being graded on your likeability nor are you being overlooked for better people. It just so happens your in the searching stage of looking for new partners. In time you will find someone but it might take awhile.

I wouldn't say your doing anything wrong. Most people on this site have a hard time finding partners. I feel like people have a tendency to take things personally when they don't find partners right away. As if everyone else is getting all these partners and they're being left out.

I average usually one to one and a half partners at a time. I will usually send out requests to five or so people at a time (if I have the free time to do so) and might get one reply back (or no replies back).

When I do get a partner it's not unheard of them to drop out due to IRL or we just aren't compatible in some way.

I wouldn't take any of that seriously and just remind yourself that this isn't a competition or a performance review.

You aren't being graded on your likeability nor are you being overlooked for better people. It just so happens your in the searching stage of looking for new partners. In time you will find someone but it might take awhile.
Yeah, I guess I just have to be patient and await the right RP partner to come onto my path. But patience is something I've always had an issue with. But it's an issue I have no choice but to overcome, especially when it comes to things like finding the right RP partner.

It takes time, even more so if a person has more "niche" RP interests. Sometimes a search can take me months.

It can often feel like you're the problem when your search threads go quiet, because it always feels like there are so many threads out there getting more traction and so many writers interested in them and not you, but more often than not it's a numbers game that our minds interpret negatively, coloured by our disappointment.

The fact of the matter is, almost every writer I've ever spoken to has felt the way you do - you're not alone! If anything, you're among a painful majority of people who have been waiting on a search for weeks and months. I mean, there's literally a topic about finding it hard to find RP partners almost every two weeks :D So let me reassure you that chances are that the fault doesn't lie with you (or anyone for that matter).

In my experience, unfortunately, the reasons to not pick up an RP (it doesn't interest you, it's no longer active, it's full, there's someone/something you're incompatible with, any IRL issue etc.) generally tend to crowd out reasons not to (we have loads of time, the story is exactly what we're looking for, all the writers are people we love). It's therefore rare for all the right variables line up to link up with the right RP partner(s) when we want.

My advice would therefore be:
- to wait patiently on both your search thread and on others' search threads for that RP partner you're looking for
- to keep your requirements broad where possible (without compromising the things that make writing fun for you)
- to be willing to try new things in response to others' searches
- to not take it personally if it doesn't work out and move on quickly and positively

Hope some of that helps!

I wouldn't just rely on your search thread alone. There are a lot of other threads waiting to be answered. I would search through them in the meantime of you waiting for someone to answer yours. See if certain threads have something in common with your interests and reach out. Sometimes you have to be the one to reach out.

I've been here for just over a week I think, and I've directly messaged probably 20 people along with having an interest check up. I've started 4 games and of those 4, 2 I think might survive, and of those 2 one of them was someone who contacted me and not the other way around.

Don't stress too much about it is my advice. Do some creative writing or art and post it around so that people can see that you're committed and capable. You don't want to 'trap' people into trying to play with you because the people who are able to be trapped are almost certainly not the people you want.

It takes time to have people Roleplay with you. They probably don’t know much about your favorite fandoms. Or they could be busy. I’m sure you will get Roleplay partners soon. Let the time get by. 👍

I suppose it would be a good idea to look through other people's search threads for a potential partner and also try new things when it comes to roleplaying. Hopefully that'll increase my chances of finding new RP partners. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll try to do something with it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back