Other Steven Universe: Good or bad?

DuckLime

|⁰⊖⁰)
Over the years, I’ve slowly drifted away from the show, to the point where I only watch clips on YouTube about important episodes. Like the recent hype. The rest just seem like fillers that like to push the actual story away for a bit. My opinion is, I like the concept of Steven universe. Shapeshifting gems that could fight and protect earth. The idea of homeworld. Not to mention the amazing soundtrack. But how it takes forever for something good to happen, it gets boring. And how Steven practically talks his way out of fighting against all the enemies. Come on, I wanna see some action! I wouldn’t say I hate it though.

I completely agree! Once the action starts happening, you're already jaded because of the filler episodes about characters we kinda don't care about. And when the action is over, you have to slog through even more filler content. I really wanted to like SU, but I just couldn't get into it because it WOULDN'T ALLOW me to become immersed.

I think it's a terrible show. From the shit writing to the constant filler to it's insitance of half-assedly redeming villains I honestly don't get how anybody can like it.

Yeah, I have to agree. It has a great concept and all, but the wait times for new episodes and the constant fillers is HUGE mood killer for me. And don't get me started on how they treated Blue/Yellow Diamond and their 'redemption' if you could even call it that.

I mean who wouldn't want to hang out with two dictators who have a history of attempted genocide and oppression?

Rip, I feel like I shouldn't respond here. I love the show, and let me explain why.

First off, I love the colors and how they represent the people. Depressed, conflicted Lapis Lazuli, the overwhelming love Rose Quartz felt and experienced, Steven's star of hope, and Pearls' mix of everything. Her love, her sadness, her hope. Second, I love the music. The ending song, "If I could begin to be half of what you think of me, I would do about anything. I would even learn how to love", Stronger Than You. Third, I love the little stories. The connections, relationships. An unending theme of Steven Universe is the emotions that are felt.

Even though they're gems and not necessarily human, they have such humane emotions. Some fillers I enjoy and others I feel are unnecessary, but the fillers both exist to slow the plot down and also show more of the world. That it's not just centered on Steven and the other characters are for the plot, that those characters have some depth to them as well.

Now, you be a creator. Create content. Do you guys read Webtoons? I love that app xD I get so sad though when my favorite webtoons go on hiatus for prolonged periods of time or skip out on a weekly update. They get sick, they hurt their hand, family things come up. It sucks for the consumer ): But even more so for the artist. The shows we watch that produce content consistently also have plenty of fillers and sometimes skip a year before producing more content or disappear altogether and never get a conclusion!

So I understand complaining about Blue + Yellow Diamond and the inconsistencies or the horror they've done being forgiven so easily. I don't think that's the case though. If you look back, they more or less ignore the other Gems. Those gems are just part of Pink Diamond's entourage to them. They don't even call him Steven! If you think that part is over with them and that they're 100% allies... Consider thinking again.

But please, don't complain about fillers or wait times. Just like with roleplaying, as we all love to do, creating content takes time. To come up with a plot, to choose the right words, to develop the right character. It all takes time, and rushed content is usually sloppy, bad content.

So I understand complaining about Blue + Yellow Diamond and the inconsistencies or the horror they've done being forgiven so easily. I don't think that's the case though. If you look back, they more or less ignore the other Gems. Those gems are just part of Pink Diamond's entourage to them. They don't even call him Steven! If you think that part is over with them and that they're 100% allies... Consider thinking again.
But the problem isn't how they interact with the other gems. It's that the show just ignores all the shit the diamonds have done in order to redeem them. Like, are they just gonna ignore that Blue Diamond tried to have Garnet killed for the crime of being a fusion? Or how Blue and Yellow tried to literally obliterate every gem on earth.

But please, don't complain about fillers or wait times. Just like with roleplaying, as we all love to do, creating content takes time. To come up with a plot, to choose the right words, to develop the right character. It all takes time, and rushed content is usually sloppy, bad content.
But there are degrees in hell. I can easily point to dozens of other shows which haven't needed to resort to that much filler or so long wait periods to have good content.

I was into it for a while. Then all the writing kind of felt dull to me. Looking back at it now the show just seems like a bit of a mess to put it lightly.

GOOD. One of the best cartoons I've seen up to now. 10/10.

The fandom's shit though and I despise it to hell, I think we all can agree on that lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back