• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Stellar ARMOR Satellizer (Ranix Aurus & Admiral19)

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Dammit..." Kanae looked at the horizon, at the definite destruction these creatures were causing. So after all of this, after all she's done to protect everyone, she couldn't...

Kanae's attack had left a massive crater in the earth. In the center of that crater, the Kaiserin struggled to get up. Her body had returned to normal, whatever power she had forced out of her by...

Ah. Aaah, but the Eldriari were still doing their thing. Maybe she—

"Kaiserin."

She looked up at the edge of the crater, where Rui stood.

"It's over."

"Not while the Eldriari still live. That girl..." The Kaiserin pointed at Kanae, and then to Enjyuu. "She cares too much for Enjyuu, wretched thing. She's closer to an Eldrian than many of you humans, but even then, dealing with that many beasts..."

A bitter smile crossed her face. "Either she lets humanity die, or she lets us die. No common ground to be found here."

"Sure there is. You just haven't told me what it is."

The Kaiserin glared up at them.

Rui then looked over at Hyogo. "Didn't you give us monsters of our own? And there was only one thing we could use to control them..."

"The pheromone?"

Hyogo's voice boomed as he towered over Rui.

"That thing was created from our extract. You were merely borrowing our powers. And why should I give mine to you, human?"

"Why not?"

Leaning on Shouji, Akira made his way toward the crater. His body was broken and battered, but his spirit was better than before. He smacked Shouji's back, pushing him toward Rui. Then he looked back at the eldritch monster with a confident smile.

"You only wish to let Eldrians return to this world. Can't humans be part of that picture?"

"..."

For once, Hyogo was at a loss of words.

"Rui, let him know what's in your mind," Akira said, encouraging them. "You guys have been with Alfred all this time. You know him better than us."

Rui took a breath.

"Kanae...I don't know her all that well, outside of the context of her being my enemy. But she wants to protect something. I know what that's like, having something you're willing to die to protect."

They glanced at Shouji.

"Unlike Kanae, however, she has two things she wants to save. For her to pick between them when there's a way to help both...that's just as cruel as anything you've done to the people you've tested on. We need your help, Alfred—if not for humanity, then for the Eldrians."

Their eyes burned with a fierce determination.

Shouji clasped their hand, his fingers intertwining with theirs. A slight smile appeared on his face.

The giant stared at them with his golden eyes. Time seemed to pass in slow motion until one of the giant tentacle rumbled forth, swinging itself toward the humans.

It stopped midway, leaving the meaty appendage hanging on the air.

"...Your wish... as with me toward my King. Humans, as long as the Eldrians can walk this land once more, then I'll concede."

A shelled beast bit on the tentacle, causing a prickly wound. From the pinhole dripped blue blood, which an Eldrian quickly collected in a vial. The Eldrian then offered the vial to Rui.

"The pheromones were a temporary solution. There's no way to control the Eldriaris. However, as long as the scent from our blood lingers around you, they won't see you as enemies. This is a concession that I can make for you."

---

At the other side, Aolfa was having a staring contest with Kanae and Hotaru. The mutated humans behind him didn't seem to be willing to back down, either.

"Aolfa, you said that the Eldrians have to be cleansed. Tell me, do you mean... Kanae, as well?"

Hotaru growled. The winged beasts by her side lifted their heads as well, aiming their gaze at the uprooted tree.

"... You're hurting me, Enjyuu. Do you suspect me that much? In her current state, perhaps. But surely we can find a way to return her back to normal. But that can wait until we remove the Eldrians."

Hotaru sneered. She grabbed Kanae's paw, holding it tight.

"There's no way to return her back to normal. That's the price of using the medallion's power. You know it as well, don't you?"

"We can't know until we give it a try, can we?"

Aolfa reached out his hand toward Kanae.

"How about it, Kanae? You're a human, so you understand where I'm going with this, right? Don't you want to return back to normal? I can help you. Only I can help you, remember that."

Rui took the vial with a fierce look. "We'll make good use of this."

Kanae thought. Here it was, an opportunity for her to return to her old life, before she got wrapped up in all this.

...No. An "old life" won't exist for her if she chooses that. She said it to Akira before: she'd rather die in a world with those dear to her than live in a world without them. If she takes the path Aolfa is offering, her life would forever be void of the one she cared the most for.

But then what was she to do? Risk the death of millions? That would be awful! Selfish, selfish, selfish.

There was only one thing she could do then.

"Kanae!"

Kanae turned to the voice that shouted behind her. Rui stood not too far away, holding a vial of...something...

"This will keep the Eldriari from attacking us! We need to get to the city with a plan, quick!"

"...Blood? Hyogo gave you his blood?"

Hotaru stared wide-eyed at the vial in Rui's hand. She knew that scent all too well. That stubborn slime was persuaded to help humanity, just like that? She then turned to Kanae.

"Hyogo's scent can stop Eldriaris of his lineage from rampaging. I can do the same with mine. It's just... we can't do anything with those of Aolfa's."

She glared at the uprooted tree towering over them.

Holy shit...so they weren't out just yet. But it's as Hotaru said; if Aolfa isn't on board...

"You told me you admired humanity." Kanae looked at Aolfa. "I want to help them. But I can't do it at the cost of those I love."

She pointed at the vial Rui held. "That's the ticket to our survival. You wanna see some  real progress? Lend us your blood. I'll show you human ingenuity."

Aolfa went silent for a long while before his voice echoed once again.

"...You win."

With a flick of his arm, he cut a branch off his trunk. It landed near Rui's feet, the greenish blood inside dripping out from the opening.

"Hold on! Are you serious?!?"

A mutated human leaped forward, swaying his bladed arm in anger. Although his features had changed, the voice unmistakably belonged to someone they knew. Tanaka Genki.

"We can win against Hyogo, but not if Enjyuu and the inheritor of the medallions stand with him. That's just how it is, Genki."

"I don't care! All I want is to kill those wretched monsters! Especially you! You killed my daughter, you killed my wife! Return them back to me!"

He pointed at Hotaru with a rage that rivaled the burning sun. Hotaru flinched, her grasp on Kanae's paw tightened.

"And will killing them bring them back?!"

Kanae spat back at Genki.

"I learned about Hotaru literally today. I don't know if I'll  ever get over it. But I can't bring her back to life, and neither can Enjyuu, and neither can anyone else here. But those things"—She pointed at the horizon—"are here and now! If you  really want them dead, you'll get that too! But I'm not gonna do this for vengeance, Genki!"

Akira silently stood behind Kanae and Hotaru, showing his support for their decision. Genki glared at his son for a long time before he finally took a step back.

"...Do as you like."

He walked away from the scene, followed by some of the mutated humans.

"Will you let him leave like that? He won't stop his revenge. The only way to stop him is by killing him."

Aolfa stated nonchalantly.

Kanae gripped Hotaru's hand. "If he comes for you all next, he'll have to answer to me."

Rui held the branch Aolfa gave them tight. "Here's the plan. We'll go into the city and start evacuating everyone. Each group is gonna get some of this blood to keep the Eldriari from attacking."

"And the Eldriari themselves?"

"We need to prioritize the humans. Kanae, if you and the other Eldrians can, keep them as busy as possible."

"Alright." Kanade nodded at Hotaru. "Lead the way in."

"Are you..."

Hotaru looked at Kanae wierdly. She seemed to consider something before she shook her head and snapped her finger. A four-legged winged beast landed to their side, upon which Hotaru climbed on to its back.

"Get on. I'll let them carry you."

Other winged beasts followed her order and landed before the rest of the group, letting them hitch a ride.

Hotaru patted the winged Eldriari's head. Kanae might not notice that she herself can fly without assistance just by growing out wings, but... Hotaru didn't have to tell her that for now.

Inside the city proper, warped beasts of all shapes and sizes were rampaging. Buildings were being toppled over, the ground shook, and humans ran screaming for fear of dying.

But on the horizon, help was arriving.

"Everyone!" Kanae shouted over the chaos (has her voice always carried this far...?). "We're here to save you! Evacuate as normal, we'll help you all!"

The monsters everyone else was riding on descended, leaving Kanae and the three house leaders stayed in the air. While the humans saved those below, they were to fight off the beasts ravaging the city.

Alfred, Hotaru, and Luca, the three having returned to their human form, directed their steed to land in the midst of the beasts' gathering. They were greeted by hungry gnarls, but the moment Alfred locked eyes with them, the beasts quickly fell into silence. They lowered their heads, their gigantic bodies shaking like frightened puppies.

"Lizards and fishes... seems like your people are the ones causing this trouble."

Luca snarkily commented, earning a glare from Alfred.

"Enough. Aolfa, go and take care of your kin, just in case some of them are here as well."

Hotaru rubbed her forehead, feeling headache incoming. These two had never been civil with each other when in close proximity. If she left, would they start fighting...?

"Hold on. Enjyuu, about the Inheritor, are you..."

"Hmm."

Hotaru nodded at Luca. The light flashing in her eyes shaded with melancholy. Luca frowned upon seeing that.

"No matter what, a part of her still remains human. You and her... it won't end well."

"Aolfa, you've noticed as well. The Enjyuu that you know... she died at that time."

Hotaru lifted her hand.

"This body I'm inhabiting... after all these years, I've assimilated too deep with it. I don't even know what I am anymore. However... I only know that I'm still me. Not the human called Hotaru, or the Eldrian called Enjyuu. I'm neither, and at the same time, both. So please, just leave it at that."

"...As long as you're happy."

Aolfa shrugged, a smile hanging weakly on his face.

---

"Kanae, I'm... sorry. Sorry for attacking you."

Haru walked over to Kanae, her head hung low. The clear tentacles on her back drooping in response to her emotion.

Kanae smiled. "Haru. I'll tell you like I told Hotaru some time before; I'm not gonna blame you for what you became, or for what happened to you. We're gonna have plenty of time to reconcile, don't worry."

From above, a screech could be heard. A beastly ant-hawk glowered at the scene below it from the top of a skyscraper. That was gonna be a problem; she needed to get it down...but how was Kanae gonna—

As if sensing her thoughts, the muscles in her back began to stretch, until within seconds, leathery wings appeared.

"YO!" Even in the midst of danger, Kanae couldn't help admiring the sudden new appendages she acquired. Only a second screech drew her attention again, spurning her to take flight to guide the beast down.

"Ah—"

Hotaru mumbled with disappointment. Luca looked up following her line of sight, only to see Kanae up above the sky, flying with a pair of brand new wings.

"I guess she won't need your help anymore to fly. That's good."

"Yeah, good..."

Luca chuckled when he saw his colleague looking so downhearted.

"I'll... I'll go help her. That Eldriari might not recognize her yet."

"Go on. I'll deal with things down here."

"Don't fight with Hyogo. Unless you want Kanae to smack you silly."

Hotaru grew her wings out, launching into the air in one strong flap. Luca just watched over her with a wry smile.

"...Already learnt how to threaten me... heh."

---

Above the city's skyline, the ant-hawk circled around Kanae, frantic with a mix of fear and exasperation. It looked like it was about to pounce, only to retreat back like a timid cat. Hotaru swerved in at that moment, getting between Kanae and the winged beast.

"Stand down."

With just a sentence, the ant-hawk cowered, turning around before landing on top of a skyscraper, making purring noise at Hotaru.

"Ah sheesh, you should leave them to me... you're too reckless."

Hotaru mumbled while pouting.

Kanae playfully returned Hotaru's pout. "I had it under control, you worry too much."

The evac went...surprisingly smoothly. As they had said, the Eldrians' blood kept everyone from being attacked, and the Eldriari were safely subdued and kept from advancing any further into the city.

But as she looked through the city for any survivors that were left behind, Kanae thought about something. She wanted to uphold her end of the deal and keep the Eldrians alive, but...well, how was she gonna do that?

Well, there were a lot of things she could do now...

She held up her fingers as if she were framing up a photo. "Firefly." Damn, how long had it been since she called Hotaru that...? "I... think I have an idea."

"Hmm. Go on."

Hotaru squeezed Kanae's hand absentmindedly. She wasn't occupied with saving people, either humanity or Eldrians. The only one that she deemed important was Kanae. However...

"Whatever you wish for, I'll do it for you."

She lifted Kanae's hand up before planting a kiss on the top.

"Do you think I could make something to put all these Eldriari in?"

Kanae thought about the bureaucratic nightmare that having Eldrians living amongst humans would cause. "I wanna trust you three with helping humans and Eldrians coexist. But the Eldriari need somewhere to go so that they can't endanger anyone."

She thought again.

"Can I make an island?"

Hotaru froze for a moment upon hearing Kanae's inquiry. That was... an unique proposal. Making an island? Really?

"Well... maybe you... can?"

If she dug enough dirt and stone to fill up an area in sea, perhaps they could do it. No, maybe they really could?

"Hyogo should be able to help you. His kin are tailored for underwater work. We... might be able to pull this off?"

She replied, although it sounded more like a question.

"Yeah..." Kanae nodded. "No, yeah, we can pull it off! We'll make an island, and then you all can lead the Eldiari there!"

Kanae usually went off on ideas like this, but... something about this was different. This actually sounded plausible!

"I won't be leading them. You will."

Hotaru leaned closer to Kanae, until she was the only thing in her sight. With a smile as bright as the sun, her words flowed in a whisper.

"And I'll be with you all the way through."

She leaned a bit closer, closer, until the world only belonged to the two.

A lot of time had passed since the resurgence of the Eldrians. What was once a chaotic time had returned into a peaceful lull.

Alfred was surprisingly receptive with Kanae's idea. He proposed a location far in the middle of the pacific ocean. It was also the place where their King slumbered in their eternal sleep, although that fact was only known to the three elders. Hotaru and Luca had no objection. Perhaps one day, when the King woke up once more, they would find that the world was no longer lonely.

With the supernatural strength of the Eldrians and Eldriaris under his command, Alfred finished the core part of the island in just a few months time. Luca took over to seed the barren land with vegetations, while Hotaru helped carrying supplies from nearby land to jumpstart the habitation progress. It didn't take long before the area was ready.

Humanity had regrouped from the catastrophe as well. Some people viewed the Eldrians as monsters, but the majority was fine with them integrating with human society. After all, the Eldrians were created from humans, and a lot of their loved ones belonged to that side now. There was virtually little reason to be antagonistic.

Reconstruction would take time as the new reality sank in, slowly but surely. However, with enough effort, a new dawn will come, hopefully brighter than before.

As for Kanae...

Kanae...

"Fireflyyyyyy...I wanna visit the island. Can you carry me...?"

...was mostly up to the same shit.

Alongside the power those medallions gifted her was an immense amount of responsibility. Of course, she was diligent about it; she provided as much aid as she could in the formation of the new island and reconstruction of the city, and even now she was one of the first to be consulted regarding Eldrian and human matters, a bridge between ancients and descendents.

But Kanae was Kanae. Even with her human disguise, even with her strength and position and the star signs marked across her back, she was just as Kanae as Kanae gets.

"Kanae... you can fly on your own..."

Hotaru let out a sigh. Life had been complicated since then. Naturally, she could no longer stay with the Tanakas, even though Akira said that her presence would always be welcome.

Genki was still missing. There would be news of assaults on Eldrian community from time to time, but the frequency had been reduced over time as humans and Eldrians together seek a way to coexistence beyond the cycle of vengeance. Hotaru didn't expect Genki to ever forgive her, but as long as he kept himself from hurting her precious people, he wouldn't actively pursue him.

Seiichiro had found a new job. An important one, even, as the new society required brilliant minds to lead them in the road of recuperation. With his experience working with OLYMPUS, he was a prime candidate for recruitment. It seemed that Shiori had joined him as well. Whether the two would progress from there would be up to them.

Mikawa retired from his journalist work, bringing with him painful trauma from the entire ordeal. Thankfully, Shiori had helped him to find a cushy office job. He seemed to enjoy his rather peaceful life since then.

Shouji and Rui... last she heard, they moved out together. She couldn't be bothered with them anyway. As long as they're happy, anything goes.

"What should I do with you?"

Hotaru embraced the girl with a smile. The Inheritor. The Chosen One. The Star Legacy. Many titles had been passed on to her, but for Hotaru, Kanae would always be Kanae. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. As a human, Kanae would grow old, and one day leave her all alone. But right now, with the power of the stars within her, she would stay for a long, long time.

...Enough for a lifetime.

Curling her multitude pairs of wing, Hotaru enveloped them together, leaning her forehead on Kanae's. Her fingers touched Kanae's back, tracing the mark of the stars on it.

"Hold on tight. I wouldn't want to accidentally drop you."

She smiled slyly, her eyes burning with desire.

"Ah, yes, accidentally." Kanae held tight to Hotaru, just in case she did anything funny.

Kanae wasn't gonna get used to these huge changes, not any time very soon. But smaller things, things like pestering Hotaru to carry her and meeting with Akira every so often and seeing both the city lights and the island's stars...she could get used to those.

She had all the time in the world to adjust. And through it all, she certainly would not be alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back