• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Steel & Diesel, a high-fantasy dieselpunk roleplay.

Roby6Com

STEEL & DIESEL
A Dieselpunk Roleplay.
atlas_plaza_by_eddie_mendoza_dc5m7fx-pre.jpg

General overview of the lore:
Pietras was once a lush, fertile continent full of flourishing rivaling kingdoms, city-states and empires, teeming with magical prowess. Magic was primarly channeled and refined only with the aid of the infamous magical crystals known as "Essence Crystals", extremely mined and used prior to the Great Calamity. 200 years ago, after a century of unbelievable industrialization thanks to the discovery of diesel oil, a great war ravaged the lands for over twenty decades, not only massively ravaging the lands and resources of the continent, but the excessive abuse of magic via essence crystals caused unparalleled magical calamities that destroyed the enviroment, turning Pietras into an almost arid landscape. Civilisation was reduced to a handful of enormous industrialised cities, where the law is partly influenced by megacorporations.

Our setting:
Windolia
Our story takes place in the biggest city on the continent, the old capital of the Empire of Windolin, a great multicultural empire that is now reduced to ashes in the aftermath of the Great Calamity. The city-state of Windolin is the biggest remaining urban center on Pietras, ruled by the Windolian Council which is composed of wealthy oligarchs that fight among themselves in the political landscape of a crumbling democracy. A city where the lavish decadent lives of the wealthy meets the dirty poverty stricken life of the lower class. A city of great buildings towering high above the crowded streets, where art and science can still make way despit a bleak world. The city itself is surrounded by a tall and heavy concrete wall that protects the remaining civilized world from any threat.

The Wasteland
The vast arid plains and hills of an extinguished world. The Wasteland is home to marauders and bandits known as the Desert Rats, preying on caravans and the weak. Those scoundrels make use of makeshift diesel cars and crude airplanes made from salvaged parts from all over the Wasteland and are said to live in a brutal and lawless post-calamity society. Together with them, the hideously magical creatures and monsters roam many places in the desert, a testimony to the sinister abuse of magic usage in the past, preying on anything that would find way in their territory. The only intact and actively maintained infrastructure are small fortified settlements and the outposts of the megacorporation mercenaries that safely guard and maintain the railway system of diesel trains that are crucial to trade and resource transportation. Such trains are often the prey of the Desert Rats.

piotr-krezelewski-mad-max.jpg

The Council
The formal democratic government of Windolia is composed of very influent and wealthy oligarchs that are elected by the public every 4 years. It is a fierce political struggle, alliances are made and broken overnight and dirty smearing campaigns are coming daily. The government of the council is involved little in the actual lives of the people aside of primarly overseeing the city-wide police force known as "The Enforcers", meditating the legal problems of citizens, businesses and corporations and defending the city itself from external threats.

The Enforcers
The police task force of Windolia, these men and women are working day and night fighthing the powerful criminal syndicates of the underworld, investigating and eliminating any magic related issues and ensuring the safety of the citizens in a hard urban jungle.

The Megacorporations
There are tousand of petty and medium businesses in Windolia, but there are a few gigantic conglomerates of businesses that dictate the heavy consumerist society of a post-calamity world:
- Blackswarth Conglomerate - an enormous player on the windolian stock market, primarly encompasses the biggest companies of industrialized agriculture sectors and general all-around products of day-to-day use.
- Glynwenthe & Co. - a conglomerate of fuel,electricity, engine and electronics companies
- Ironbeard Industries - conglomerate of infrastructure oriented companies such as construction and maintenance
- Windolia Media-Entertainment Businesses - conglomerate of media related advertising and entertainment
And plenty more.

Magic
Magic is not the classic high-fantasy type, instead, it's more complex. Magical usage requires extensive techmaturgy knowledge and the availibility of the Essence Crystals. Due to the Great Calamity, not only magic usage has almost vanished together with almost all resources of crystals required, but it also became a taboo subject and disdained by almost everyone.

shades_of_black_by_min_nguen_d8bn6cm-pre.jpg

Steel & Diesel
roleplay takes place on the island continent of Pietras, a fantastical realm of humans, elves, dwarves, orcs and other high-fantasy races. The main focus will be a high-fantasy with a high focus on dieselpunk aesthetic and tropes, including noir, diesel fuel cars and other typical dieselpunk ideas. This is my personal attempt at combining the supernatural aspect of fantasy with the gritty realism of a dieselpunk society. Players are free to jump in without any application, although they are REQUIRED to create characters with logic and reason, no powergaming, no overpoweredness and things like that. This is a rather gritty down-to-earth type of RP with fantasy elements.
- business/corporation owner
- detective
- politician
- wastelander
- Desert Rat
- mercenary
- villain raiders
- automaton (robot)
- Enforcerer
list goes on.

I encourage you to portray the world in your character's eyes, create your own story arcs in this universe. Players are free to collaborate and meet themselves in the universe.

You can, of course, find inspiration in other dieselpunk based things such as Bioshock or Mad Max. You can also read this for further infos regarding this punk genre:
Diesel Punk - TV Tropes

Now that I got information out of the way, I'll post some concept art of what this RP should portray. Who knows where adventure will take Frederick and his team? If you are interested, comment below.

[IMG='width:663px;']https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/004/050/101/large/eddie-del-rio-0057.jpg?1479837496[/IMG]
[IMG='width:663px;']https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/8f67fb03-6e1b-4744-9fee-eaf8d12b9bf5/d619bj5-ed83787d-dcee-4e6e-905d-55d0786d2fb2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1063,h_752,q_70,strp/slums_under_bridge_by_alexjjessup_d619bj5-pre.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG='width:662px;']https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/8f67fb03-6e1b-4744-9fee-eaf8d12b9bf5/d6bgei2-fd0348fb-610b-49af-982f-86c9893bf812.jpg/v1/fill/w_1473,h_542,q_70,strp/daybreak_by_alexjjessup_d6bgei2-pre.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:
I plant my feet firmly in this ground. At least for the moment.

By the way, players who are interested are invited to come and help me build and expand the lore.

I'm always ready to help and do some world-building. If you want to discuss elements of the premise or setting with me, do send me a PM.

STEEL & DIESEL
A Dieselpunk Roleplay.
atlas_plaza_by_eddie_mendoza_dc5m7fx-pre.jpg

General overview of the lore:
Pietras was once a lush, fertile continent full of flourishing rivaling kingdoms, city-states and empires, teeming with magical prowess. Magic was primarly channeled and refined only with the aid of the infamous magical crystals known as "Essence Crystals", extremely mined and used prior to the Great Calamity. 200 years ago, after a century of unbelievable industrialization thanks to the discovery of diesel oil, a great war ravaged the lands for over twenty decades, not only massively ravaging the lands and resources of the continent, but the excessive abuse of magic via essence crystals caused unparalleled magical calamities that destroyed the enviroment, turning Pietras into an almost arid landscape. Civilisation was reduced to a handful of enormous industrialised cities, where the law is partly influenced by megacorporations.

Our setting:
Windolia
Our story takes place in the biggest city on the continent, the old capital of the Empire of Windolin, a great multicultural empire that is now reduced to ashes in the aftermath of the Great Calamity. The city-state of Windolin is the biggest remaining urban center on Pietras, ruled by the Windolian Council which is composed of wealthy oligarchs that fight among themselves in the political landscape of a crumbling democracy. A city where the lavish decadent lives of the wealthy meets the dirty poverty stricken life of the lower class. A city of great buildings towering high above the crowded streets, where art and science can still make way despit a bleak world. The city itself is surrounded by a tall and heavy concrete wall that protects the remaining civilized world from any threat.

The Wasteland
The vast arid plains and hills of an extinguished world. The Wasteland is home to marauders and bandits known as the Desert Rats, preying on caravans and the weak. Those scoundrels make use of makeshift diesel cars and crude airplanes made from salvaged parts from all over the Wasteland and are said to live in a brutal and lawless post-calamity society. Together with them, the hideously magical creatures and monsters roam many places in the desert, a testimony to the sinister abuse of magic usage in the past, preying on anything that would find way in their territory. The only intact and actively maintained infrastructure are small fortified settlements and the outposts of the megacorporation mercenaries that safely guard and maintain the railway system of diesel trains that are crucial to trade and resource transportation. Such trains are often the prey of the Desert Rats.

piotr-krezelewski-mad-max.jpg

The Council
The formal democratic government of Windolia is composed of very influent and wealthy oligarchs that are elected by the public every 4 years. It is a fierce political struggle, alliances are made and broken overnight and dirty smearing campaigns are coming daily. The government of the council is involved little in the actual lives of the people aside of primarly overseeing the city-wide police force known as "The Enforcers", meditating the legal problems of citizens, businesses and corporations and defending the city itself from external threats.

The Enforcers
The police task force of Windolia, these men and women are working day and night fighthing the powerful criminal syndicates of the underworld, investigating and eliminating any magic related issues and ensuring the safety of the citizens in a hard urban jungle.

The Megacorporations
There are tousand of petty and medium businesses in Windolia, but there are a few gigantic conglomerates of businesses that dictate the heavy consumerist society of a post-calamity world:
- Blackswarth Conglomerate - an enormous player on the windolian stock market, primarly encompasses the biggest companies of industrialized agriculture sectors and general all-around products of day-to-day use.
- Glynwenthe & Co. - a conglomerate of fuel,electricity, engine and electronics companies
- Ironbeard Industries - conglomerate of infrastructure oriented companies such as construction and maintenance
- Windolia Media-Entertainment Businesses - conglomerate of media related advertising and entertainment
And plenty more.

Magic
Magic is not the classic high-fantasy type, instead, it's more complex. Magical usage requires extensive techmaturgy knowledge and the availibility of the Essence Crystals. Due to the Great Calamity, not only magic usage has almost vanished together with almost all resources of crystals required, but it also became a taboo subject and disdained by almost everyone.

shades_of_black_by_min_nguen_d8bn6cm-pre.jpg

Steel & Diesel
roleplay takes place on the island continent of Pietras, a fantastical realm of humans, elves, dwarves, orcs and other high-fantasy races. The main focus will be a high-fantasy with a high focus on dieselpunk aesthetic and tropes, including noir, diesel fuel cars and other typical dieselpunk ideas. This is my personal attempt at combining the supernatural aspect of fantasy with the gritty realism of a dieselpunk society. Players will take the role of one character who will be a part of Frederick's upstart and little-known corporation. Frederick is an upcoming political figure and a petty industrial tycoon, and your character will play a role in his political campaign and financial endeavours. You are free to come up with any position in his team, but I'll come in your aid and suggest a few positions you can occupy:
- campaign advisor
- manager
- business owner and subordinate
- wealthy friend of Frederick
- personal driver
- bodyguard
- private investigator/detective
- media reporter
- mercenary
- research scientist

Keep in mind you are allowed only one character that is part of his team, but you are free to make your character's personal life and portray it in RP, possibilities are limitless. You can create your own separate story arc, but you are encouraged to interact together with the other player characters that are part of Frederick's team.

You can, of course, find inspiration in other dieselpunk based things such as Bioshock or Mad Max. You can also read this for further infos regarding this punk genre:
Diesel Punk - TV Tropes

Now that I got information out of the way, I'll post some concept art of what this RP should portray. Who knows where adventure will take Frederick and his team? If you are interested, comment below.

[IMG='width:663px;']https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/004/050/101/large/eddie-del-rio-0057.jpg?1479837496[/IMG]

love it very interested!!

Do we need Discord to participate in the roleplay?

Just a heads up people, I've removed the requirement for any player's character to be part of Frederick Industries, from now own, you are all free to RP as whatever kind of character your want in the Steel & Diesel world.

Interested. Would an... antimagic person fit into this? I know magic doesn't play a large role in this, it's just, well...

It's a bit complex. I'm going to have to get details on the world so I can make sure it fits.

May I have the Discord link as well? I like worldbuilding!

Interested. Would an... antimagic person fit into this? I know magic doesn't play a large role in this, it's just, well...

It's a bit complex. I'm going to have to get details on the world so I can make sure it fits?

May I have the Discord link?

Antimagic is very much welcomed in this universe. You're welcome to hop in and help me build and expand this RP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back