• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Steamhaven: Land of the Lost

With a screech, the serpentine creature ducked, nearly throwing Lianna off. It's attempt at dodging was futile, though; the book smacked it square in the snout and bounced off, into the water. "Hey!" It shook its head. The way its eyes crossed to stare down at her gave it a slightly disoriented, possibly even goofy, appearance. "Why'd ya throw it at me? I ain't done nothin'!"

A different dialect from Mox's, for sure.

- Apologize
- Dive for the book
- Introduce yourself
- Ask a question
- Be rude
- Stay silent

"Ah, I'm sorry!" Lianna raised her hands defensively, "I thought you were the demon's familiar or Mox himself." She suddenly felt very embarrassed, looking down at the sinking book, "Uh... is there a chance you would be able to get the book back?"

The serpent scrunched its snout, "Possibly, but why?" Lifting the book with sharp-clawed digits, the serpent held it aloft just a few feet above Lianna's head, still within reach. Water dribbled down onto her head and shoulders, "I thought you wanted to upset Mox."

- Take the book
- Scowl at the water
- Leave the book
- Ask a question
- Other

"I want out of his realm and he doesn't seem very upset about the book yet." She said, looking around for any sight of the demon. "Do you know of a way out? You can keep the book if you do."

The serpent tilted its head curiously, eying the book in its grasp. A claw thumbed through the pages, their edges sopping wet and threatening to tear at the friction. "Takes quite a bit, angerin' Mox," it said, eyes lifting towards the mountains beyond the lake. "Dunno a way out, but I know my lake is close to Mox's laboratory," it gestured to the mountains. "Temporarily, anyway. Inside them there mountains, ya might find him. Just get there before he decides to change the map again or you'll be Who-Knows-Where."

Lianna could opt to head for the mountains now or stick around a bit longer to glean some insight into this strange realm.

The serpent held out the book once more, this time closer to Lianna. "Would, but water n' paper don't mix well."

- Head for the mountains
- Swim to shore​
- Ask for a ride​
- Get to know the serpent
- Ask about Mox's realm
- Other
(Optional): Take back the book

"Thank you." Lianna said, taking the book back and stuffing it into her soaked backpack. She would do her best to reach those mountains, already tired of the tricky realm of this particular demon. "Would you be so kind as to bring me to the shore at least?"

The serpent nodded, almost seeming to smile, and turned towards the shore nearest the mountains. The pair swam forward at a leisurely speed before arriving at the shore a few minutes later. Or, close to the shore; the serpent came to a stop several feet away, the water deep enough to reach Lianna's calves. "Take care," the serpent said, "and mind your surroundins. Don't ya doubt Mox is watchin'."

From the shoreline, the mountains seemed a good hour's hike. If she avoided any pitfalls on her way there, Lianna would likely arrive with the sun still overhead.

- Thank the serpent and leave
- Ask the serpent a question
- Leave without a word
- Other

Performing the best bow she knew, she said, "Thank you. I'm Lianna. Maybe we'll meet again." She smiled and then turned on her heel before heading toward the mountains.

1580176696549.png
Lianna stepped into a muddy field of flowers as the serpent slipped back into the water, disappearing completely. Ahead of her the ground sloped upward, accented by a gentle stream whose song tickled her ear, even from a distance. The green of where she stood seemed peaceful and inviting compared to the barren body and tips of Mox's mountain.

What originally seemed like only an hours trek, however, soon turned into one much longer. After an indeterminable time walking in soggy clothes and squelching boots, she seemed no closer to besting even a fraction of the mountain. The sun overhead had not moved since entering Mox's domain, so she hadn't a clue what time it was or how long it had been since she last ate.

The hunter could press forward at a regular pace, which would neither deplete her energy stores nor get her to Mox any faster than she was currently going, or she could use her energy and try sprinting until the landscape turned too steep to proceed without climbing. Likewise, Lianna could also stop for a break or to investigate the area.

- Sprint
- Save Energy
- Take a Break
- Investigate Area
- Other

Feeling like her expedition was absolutely fruitless so far, and getting more and more frustrated with Mox as time went on, Lianna stopped mid step and plopped down onto the grassy ground. She laid back and stretched for a moment, to take a break and get her breathing steady. She found herself thinking of the people she left in her realm, and was already missing everyone, even Clara. She only hoped that Steamheaved won't all go to hell until she gets back.

After a moment of recuperation, Lianna stood up, ready to look around for any other creatures that might help her get to the top of the mountain.

Upon rising from her momentary reprieve, Lianna noticed how the grass some odd few feet in front of her began to shift. Bright green blades of varying lengths bent away from each other as if repelled by incompatible magnetism, their divots in the ground not unlike that of parted hair.

The blades read a message of recently familiar handwriting: "Are you lost?" It seemed to sneer despite not having a voice.

- Yes
- No
- Step on the grass
- Continue uphill
- Turn back
- Investigate area
- Other

Last edited:
The grass did not name a name, rather, parted again into a much longer message:

"Going forward never ends while ennui slowly grows;
the more she takes, the less she leaves behind.
This stubborn walk is all she knows, a faux presuppose.
Study the story, tell the tale, of Lady Lianna—Lady Blind."

- Stomp on the riddle
- Answer the riddle
- Investigate the area
- Demand a name
- Ask for a hint
- Ask something else
- Other

"I don't bloody care, grass." Lianna said in an irritated voice. "I'm not here to solve your riddles." She turned around, then looked down into the grass again. "Tell Mox to come out, I'm on my way to kill one demon, but I don't mind adding another name to the list."

The riddle blended back into a sea of green grass, which parted yet again with another message: "If pushed too far, will human feet fall off by the ankle?" After a brief pause, the grass parted again: "Let's find out."

Howling could be heard in the near distance, seemingly from all directions. Lianna couldn't tell where from or how many creatures were on their way, but by the crescendoing volume, they were moving fast.

To escape, Lianna could run up or down the mountain. There wasn't much to offer in terms of a hiding place, but she could try to hide in one of the thin bushes nearby. Or, if she wanted, she could try her hand at battle in Mox's realm and stand her ground.

- Run uphill
- Run downhill
- Hide in a bush
- Fight
- Other

Tired of running away and climbing and the endless trek that Mox's world forced her on, Lianna unslung her shotgun and stood her ground. If there were multiple beasts after her and moving fast, there was no use in running.

With her finger on the trigger she stood her ground and warily looked around, trying to judge the direction of the beasts.

1585452921076.png
The howls grew louder and louder until large, hairless bodies clambered over the Western ridge on all fours. Teeth snapping, they spilled into the shallow ravine, heading straight for Lianna. From what she could see, the hounds had no eyes; they were clumsy, running into each other in their haste, and she watched briefly as one snapped at the other, tearing into its throat in agitation.

It tossed the body aside. That left five, including the absolutely massive hound that appeared over the ridge behind them. As it opened its mouth in a snarl, it released a glowing green mist that illuminated just how sharp those fangs really were.

And then it charged.

- Run
- Attack
- Call for help
- Plead to Mox
- Other

Lianna found herself wishing that the lake serpent was close by still. It would have made short work of these hell hounds. But she was alone and she had to fend for herself.

"Mox!" She called one last time, just in case. "Come out of your hiding spot, stop sending your creatures to do your dirty work!" But she readied the shotgun and trained it on the nearest hound.

A laugh seemed to carry in the wind, whistling and high-pitched, just as Lianna's shotgun blasted a round into the nearest hound. With a yip, the creature dropped to the ground temporarily before rising with a slight limp. As if realizing the potential threat, the hounds slowed, opting instead to fan out and try to surround her.

They growled low, their voices a cacophony that seemed to blend with one another, making it difficult to discern who was ready to strike by sound alone. Any movement could provoke them into striking, so she'd have to be quick and sure of her next choice:

- Throw something
- Switch to your sword
- Shoot one of the hounds
- Try to run
- Focus on your surroundings
- Call for help
- Other

Remembering the jar of amber inside on her many pockets, Lianna quickly reached for it and threw it with force on the ground in front of the hounds. With some lack the contents would spill and either hurt the hounds or make them reluctant to step closer to her.

Sticky amber splattered across the ground, creating a sizable puddle for a medium-sized jar, and the hounds in front of her skittered backward with snarls. At that moment, though, the large alpha-hound leaped at her from the side, having tried to flank her; Lianna barely had time to notice the attack in her peripheral vision before massive teeth were just inches away from her face.

- Duck
- Shoot the hound
- Move aside
- Scream
- Other

Relying on her reflexes, Lianna ducked under the bite, hoping to go down low enough for the hound to leap over her. Her shotgun held at the ready for a blow with its butt if things went awry.

Lianna ducked just in time for the hound's teeth to miss, though it's body brushed along her shoulders. The perfect opportunity to use it's momentum against it.

Whether she meant to or not, as Lianna straightened, it tipped the hound higher into the air and sent it careening halfway into the puddle of amber. Lianna heard a sizzle and a howl so piercing it may have been a scream.

With the hounds distracted, she could run or continue fighting.

- Run
- Fight
- Other

She wouldn't be able to outrun the animals. If she turned away from them it would only give them an opportunity to attack from behind. Her shotgun held amber bullets, it was about time to see their effectiveness. And maybe killing enough of his creatures would provoke Mox into appearing.

Now that the alpha was distracted trying to rip itself out of the muck, Lianna had a moment to exchange her silver bullets with those of amber. But which would she choose, the amber-tipped or full amber? Both were prototypes.

- Amber-tipped
- Full amber
- Use your sword
- Other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back