• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Steamhaven: Land of the Lost

Thinking of the slithering creatures that might lurk in the cracks, Lianna did not step inside the crumbing building. She lingered on the edge, watching closely over Fiona, in case something slithered out to bite her. Thankfully nothing did, but she was also eager to get away.

"Something else happened to it. Perhaps there are records of it somewhere in Steamhaven's city hall. Must be something about the town as big as this so close by." She said, turning to look around. "Let's head deeper and keep a look out for any building that are not completely ruined."

Fiona nodded and followed Lianna out of the building. She looked around and gave no warning of danger as they passed the large city streets. Nearly twenty minutes passed before they found a building still intact. Medium-sized, primarily long, and with a roof made of glass.

Funny how only a greenhouse survived.

"Should we-" Fiona started, only to stop short, eyes widening. She spun to face the way they came. Instead of emptiness, a woman walked down the center of the decrepit street towards them. Fiona stumbled backward, hands reaching for her rosary. She needn't say a word for Lianna to know someone unpleasant had found them. "I ask the Divine within myself..." Fiona began chanting.

- Attack the woman
- Prepare yourself
- Do nothing
- Call to the woman
- Run
- Other

If Fiona was alarmed it was because she felt the supernatural danger within the arrival. Liana trusted that she was more sensitive to it than herself. So she aimed her shotgun, calling out, "Stop right there and identify yourself."

vU6SQGk.png

The woman slowed to a stop close enough for Lianna to see her face: Porcelain skin, high cheekbones, plump dark lips, and unnatural, pale glowing eyes. She smiled, hand propped upwards against her waist. In her palm, a large tome. "Identify myself? Why, you're the trespasser, here," her voice sounded silky smooth. An ghostly blue force lifted the tome into the air and sent the torn ends of her dress skirt and sleeves flowing.

"She's a w- a wi-" Fiona tightened her grip on the rosary so tight her knuckles whitened. The nun looked ready to faint.

"Yes, sweetheart, I'm a witch," the woman's smile widened. "And you don't look so good."

- Introduce yourself
- Demand a name
- Shoot the witch
- Run
- Other

Weapon trained on the newcomer, Lianna gave her a serious look. Witches were not her forte, but she found them the most reasonable out of the three fractions. At least in her experience.

"Our names don't matter." She said, not wanting to reveal them, in case she could use them for vile spells. You never knew with witches. "What is a witch doing here?"

"Don't they?" The witch laughed slowly. She seemed to be enjoying the discomfort her presence caused. For a moment she did not answer Lianna - simply smiled on in her direction with a hip cocked to the side - but then her fingers twitched. The tome hovering over her palm began to open. "Why, I'm here for the party, of course. Though... I don't think you're on the guest list."

The witch made no move to attack, yet she could at any moment and the more she talked the woozier Fiona appeared.

- Shoot the witch
- Shoot the tome
- Ask about the party
- Say nothing
- Other

"Fiona, if you have a spell for this, now is the right time to cast it." Lianna said, then without a warning shot her gun at the witch, hoping to wound. If she could prevent it from casting a spell and then capture it, perhaps they would find the gathering sooner than wandering on their own.

Trembling, Fiona nodded and started chanting a blessing of protection once more... though the shield was significantly weaker, its light and warm radiance flickering. It nearly disappeared when Lianna's gun went off. Fiona yelped and shut her eyes, trying to focus through the fear.

Laughter turning maniacal, the witch's tome flew in front of her and swallowed the bullets. "My Book of Shadows loves the taste of steel," she grinned. "Do you?" From the pages of the book rang the sound of a shotgun blast; several metal shells shot through the air towards Lianna and Fiona.

- Rely on Fiona
- Leap out of the way
- Run!
- Other

Not wanting to back away from the fight, but also not completely sure in Fiona's abilities at that point, Lianna quickly leapt to push the nun out of the way. If they managed to survive the bullets, she would draw her sword and get back into action.

What shield Fiona did manage to summon protected Lianna from getting shot in the ankle - and potentially losing her foot. Fiona landed on the ground, eyes shooting open wide and chest heaving; if fear wouldn't knock her out soon, hyperventilation would.

But Lianna hadn't the time to think about that.

"Oh, you still want to play?" Asked the witch. Where her dress and hair and the pages of her book at first only swayed in a light breeze, they now whipped about violently in an invisible storm. "Et miseros morsu!" She spoke in a foreign language with a voice not her own; something deep and guttural-sounding spoke for her.

The edges of the Book of Shadows grew rows of sharp, glinting teeth. Getting bitten would not be pleasant.

- Attack the witch
- Attack the Book of Shadows
- Guard Fiona
- Yell at Fiona
- Encourage Fiona
- Run!

"Fiona, I really need you right now!" Lianna used her best motivational voice, "I can'd do this without you. Please, cast a protection spell on me or something." Whatever the nun did or didn't do, Lianna drew her sword and rushed the witch, aiming for her legs, while steering clear of the book with teeth.

In response, Fiona shut her eyes tight and prayed to the rosary, refusing to acknowledge the battle around her.

Upon being rushed, the witch's expression shifted; her eyes blew wide, her grin wiped clear off her face. "You're fast!" She barely managed to evade Lianna's first blow but tripped over the length of her dress in the process. While she didn't hit the floor, she did lose her balance enough for Lianna to have a clear shot.

Chomp, chomp, chomp!

The sound of a book slamming open and closed sounded inches from Lianna's ear.

- Strike the witch
- Strike the book
- Dodge the book
- Other

Keeping her eyes focused on the target, Lianna swung at the witch. She wanted to hurt her enough to incapacitate her, but not enough to kill her. She would have to hope that the book would become inactive once the witch was hurt, or that Fiona's spell would hold.

Lianna's blade sliced into the witch's arm, which raised in an attempt to protect herself. She let out a pained howl and fell to the ground clutching blood. At the same time, several pinpricks sunk deep into Lianna's shoulder... only to be flung backward by holy light, the ripping sensation so painful it was almost blinding.

Yet, just as quickly, a familiar comforting warmth temporarily washed away the pain. Behind her, Fiona sat crouched on the crouch, rosary clutched tightly in her hands; she spoke her blessing loud and clear even though her eyes refused to open.

"Y-You- You bitch!" The witch cried. Flung a hand out as if her palm alone could shield her from Lianna's sword.

- Kill the witch
- Interrogate her
- Destroy her Book of Shadows
- Praise Fiona
- Other

Strengthening herself from the pain, Lianna spoke to the nun, "Great job, Fiona. I knew I could rely on you." But she did not turn away from the witch.

She thought about destroying the book, but if the book liked steel and steel was all she carried, would it somehow backfire on her? She was not well versed in things of magic. Placing the tip of her sword at the witch's throat, Lianna asked in a cold tone, "Where is the summit happening? How many of you are there?"

Fiona didn't answer, only repeated the chant over and over. Meanwhile, the Book of Shadows continued to try and chew Lianna apart, yet never made it past the holy shield protecting her.

Eyes wide and quickly growing teary, the witch leaned away to little avail; Lianna's blade followed her wherever she went. "At Shanburry's old library! Th-there's three witch covens and a few dogs so far. Don't kill me. Don't kill me and I'll tell you everything I can. Please," her taunting demeanor had left her scared, pathetic. It seemed the more panicked the witch grew, the more violent her Book of Shadows became. "Please don't kill me, please."

Regardless of what Lianna told the witch, she could kill her afterward should she so desire.

- Keep interrogating her
- Lower your sword
- Kill the witch
- Other

"Restrain your book first." Lianna said, not really believed she would ever use that sentence, "Then tell me where is the vampire coven. When are they coming?" They were the ringleaders here obviously, they would probably show up last. And Lianna had every intention to be there when they do.

"Cessabit," the witch said. Her Book of Shadows stopped attacking Lianna, though it did not retract its sharp teeth. Beneath Lianna's blade, the witch swallowed, eyes darting between her attacker and the weapon at her throat. "I-... I don't know," she said. Quickly added, as if fearing death should she hesitate: "But they'll be here soon! I think. I mean, I hope. T-There are rumors they're waiting for someone influential but we've been here since nightfall and others are starting to get restless..."

A wealth of information... if she actually knew anything concrete. Lianna could go ahead and kill the witch or spare her life.

- Kill the witch
- Keep her prisoner
- Tie her up and leave her
- Set her free
- Other

"Is that so?" Lianna processed the new information. The witch seemed scared, and it could mean that she told her something just to save her neck. But her information coincided with what Lianna already knew. It couldn't have been a mere coincidence.

Lianna had to remind herself every day that she was a monster hunter and that the creatures she hunted and killed were not human. Killing them in action was always much easier than this. The witch was helpless, surrendered. Still, who knew how many innocents had died or would die by her hand.

"I wish you haven't chosen this life." Lianna said, moving the blade slightly away. "I wish you had remained human, I really do. But, I cannot help you now." In a flash, she moved the sword away, only to trust it forward, through the chest of the witch.

The witch relaxed just before the blade struck her. "You-" her eyes bugged, lips parted in a silent "liar". They quickly became unseeing and the floating book dropped to the floor, chomping teeth gone, as her body fell lax. The witch died with tears in her eyes.

Fiona sat on the floor, head ducked and shoulders hunched, still muttering the chant that protected herself and Lianna from harm. With dirt staining the bottom of her robes and the whites of her knuckles prominent, wrapped around the rosary like some sort of lifeline, she appeared less holy and more insane. Not the usual response people had to supernaturals; at least, ones that weren't aiming to kill them specifically, anyway.

- Comfort Fiona
- Tell Fiona to get over it
- Loot the witch's body
- Pick up the Book of Shadows
- Other

The witch's dying words did not unsettle Lianna. She was not human, she was not natural, and nothing her kind could say ever reached Lianna's ears. Maybe it was a secret talent, being able to distance herself from any guilt that might come from her actions toward the supernaturals. Now if only she could learn to be as cold toward the members of the vampire coven. That was her final lesson.

Seeing the young sister crouched on the ground, Lianna sheathed the bloodied sword and approached her slowly, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder, "It's okay, Fiona. The witch is dead, she cannot harm you now." She smiled, "We make a good team, don't you think. Not a scratch on us and we have found out our destination. Now we only need to see where the others have gone to."

At Lianna's touch, Fiona's head shot up, eyes wide, as though expecting some monster to have grabbed her. The yellow glow of her eyes dimmed into natural brown. "Oh, it is... you are safe," she breathed. Eventually, she mirrored Lianna's smile and nodded, enthusiasm growing. "We do, yes. We do. Um..." Fiona looked around at the mention of the others, only to spot the witch on the ground and avert her gaze immediately.

"I can only perceive the unholy," Fiona said, "so finding your friends will be more difficult. Um... should we head East or West towards one of the groups? O-Or do you think they will meet us at the library?" As she spoke, Fiona seemed to grow more restless, an unasked question dancing in her eyes: Do you think they're alright?

- Head East
- Head West
- Head to the Library
- Other
- (Optional): Help Fiona up

Lianna reached with her hand to help the young nun up. She thought for a moment about the others and while she feared for their safety and a part of her wanted to make sure they are all fine, a bigger part of her wanted to find the supernatural summit as fast as possible. And they had a lead.

"Let's head toward the library and hope the others have discovered a lead." Before walking away she took the witch's book.

Fiona took her hand and let Lianna help her stand. The assistance only made her smile grow. "Thank you. Um... yes, let's go that way, then." With a nod, she scurried next to Lianna and walked side by side.

They had a lead, but... no knowledge of its direction. The pair realized this about 10 minutes into walking when Fiona stopped to try and read an old decrepit sign. Years of weather had polished the wood into a smooth, flat surface, but at the same time had worn away most of its engravings. Fiona squinted, tilted her head. "I-B... A-R? 'Ibar'? I can't tell what this says..." Ran her fingertips along what remained of the sign's instructions, eyes turning Northeast briefly. "'Ibar' is that way and... C-I... A-L-L... 'Ciall' is Northwest."

While not the proper names of the locations, they were as close to directions as Lianna and Fiona could find. Ibar and Ciall, whatever those meant.

- Head towards 'Ibar'
- Head towards 'Ciall'
- Continue straight North
- Other

"Was that 'library' perhaps?" Lianna asked, curiously peering at the old sign. It could have been. She quickly looked around to see if any of the others were close, but not wanting to call out in order not to attract any more unwanted attention. She shrugged, "Let's follow this one." Pointing at the sign which said 'Ibar', she turned in that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back