• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Steamhaven: Land of the Lost

As soon as the music hit, Lianna felt her feet moving. It has been such a long time since she got a chance to do this. To spend time with a person she liked and to unwind... before everything goes to hell again. With a grin, she grabbed Dan's hands and pulled him to the centre of the floor.

"We have to dance!" She exclaimed, "Please!"

There was a delay between Lianna asking Dan to dance and him reacting. He looked around as if expecting to find someone beside him but found none that held Lianna's attention. Realization dawning on him, his attention whipped back to her. "Dance?" He looked to their clasped hands. "Me?"

Lianna knew Dan to be sensitive, introverted, and self-conscious on most occasions when it came to interacting with others. Now, he looked surprised. Mildly hopeful. Perhaps a little anxious.

- Dance with Dan
- Lead the dance​
- Let him lead​
- Improvise​
- Tell him nevermind
- Other

"Well, of course you." Lianna grinned, "I told you that you won't be able to get rid of me so easily tonight." She guided one of his hands to her waist, while she clasped his other hand loosely. "Just do whatever it is your body is telling you to. It's not science!"

Dan looked between the hand on her waist and their clasped hands like they were part of an instruction manual he didn't quite know how to read. His mouth opened and closed like a fish without water; he clearly did not know what to do. The inventor peered over Lianna's shoulder, eyes wide and searching, and slowly began to mimic the others around them.

Without warning, he spun Lianna out, knocking her clumsily into the crowd. "Sorry! Sorry," he reeled her back in, borderline frantic. "Are you alright? Did they step on your toes?" Looked down at their feet abruptly. "Did I step on your toes?"

- Laugh it off
- Get upset
- Give dancing tips
- Lead the dance
- End the dance
- Other

"Woah!" Lianna let out a gasp as she was swung wildly, but as soon as she reeled her in she laughed, "Don't worry about it, I'm fine." She gripped his hand a bit tighter, "Okay, just go slow and maybe follow my lead a bit." Better not to let him improvise fully after all.

Lianna's laughter prompted Dan to laugh, too, and the nerves of messing up quickly melted away. "I have never danced before," he said, allowing her to lead them along with the other dancers. "At least, not with someone else." With Lianna's help, he managed to spin her out without hitting anyone or risk giving his dance partner whiplash. The pair somehow ended up closer than before upon him twirling Lianna back in.

- Ignore the distance
- Create more distance
- Dance even closer
- End the dance
- Other

"Really?" Lianna asked. "You are doing great, don't worry." She smiled, following the music and letting herself enjoy it. "It feels good, doesn't it? Being away from everything. And we have just started."

More than once Dan glanced over her shoulder to get dancing ideas from the crowd, despite Lianna helping him lead, but he seemed to be doing much better; meaning, he no longer nearly tossed her into the dancing passerby. "Am I? I've begun to notice that dancing is a combination of patterns and physical activity," he said. "Every few counts there will be a turn, and every few counts another spin or change of direction." Of course, Dan would turn the simple act of dancing into a formula.

He did seem to enjoy himself, though. "It is," he twisted his lips in thought. "I feared coming here more than I detested it, I think." Then, Dan smiled. "Thank you for making me attend."

The music began to shift into something slower, borderline romantic. Lianna could end the dance with Dan there or step closer and continue, though it seemed only couples had decided to stay on the dance floor. If she decided not to slow dance with him now, she would likely get the option to do so again later if she so chose; the night, after all, was young.

- Slow dance with Dan
- End the dance
- Other

"Leave it to you to make a science out of dancing." Lianna chuckled, shaking her head. "But, you are welcome. I told you you would like it."

As the music slowed down, Lianna hesitated. She wanted to mingle, but she didn't want to leave Dan now when he was enjoying himself. And, truthfully, she was enjoying herself as well. So she wrapped her arms around his neck, closing the distance between them. They were some sort of a couple too, mentor and student, two friends having a fun night out, surely there was no harm in dancing a bit closer.

At first, Dan hesitated, unsure of where to put his hands. Copying the other couples gave him an idea; he placed his hands on her hips, occasionally referring to those around them for ideas on what to do. They stepped closer, bodies barely brushing. Up close Lianna could smell... Poppy's perfume? Or was that Emma's? Unsurprising, considering he likely didn't have his own cologne and the two women spent day and night in his 'home'. Not to mention the underlying scent of soot.

"It seems the... What is the saying?" Dan tapped fingers against her side absently, thinking. "'The student has become the master' or something along those lines." The corner of his lips raised, a borderline cheeky smile. "It feels like you are the mentor, now."

- Respond
- Comment on the perfume
- Dance closer
- Flirt with Dan
- End the dance
- Other

"Of course, I was bound to surpass you at some point, sir." Lianna fluttered her eyelashes innocently, then chuckled. "And it also seems that you smell of a woman's perfume." She returned his teasing smile. "You've been breaking hearts left and right these days."

Dan choked on his own laugh. "Per-Breaking he-Oh!" His face had turned beet red in mere seconds only to burst into laughter upon realization. "No, no!" His smile was wide, toothy, and more than a little amused. "Do you remember the anti-vampiric perfume bottle I gave you to test? I thought I was using one of those but ended up spraying Poppy's perfume all over myself," he explained. "She wasn't pleased with me. Apparently, that bottle cost her a month or two of work pay! I didn't realize perfume was so expensive." While some brands were expensive, Poppy did work in a run-down Downtown bar that likely paid far less than most jobs.

Before she could respond, a drunken body stumbled into Lianna and pushed her flush against Dan. Her mentor froze mid-conversation, eyes wide and blinking nervously at their proximity.

Lianna could play it off and continue dancing with him, albeit it body-to-body, or she could excuse the fall and create some distance. Or... she could make a move.

- Play it off
- Create distance
- Make a move
- End the dance
- Other

Of course he would have made thst mistake. Classic Dan. Lianna rolled her eyes at him, then laugjed. But her laughter was cut off as she was pushed against her dancing partner. Quickly recovering, Lianna moved back slightly, "I'm sorry, Dan, the crowd is getting frisky." She smiled.

Mimicking her quick recovery, Dan nodded quickly and moved back a little in turn. "It is probably the drinks," he said, "they're quite unassuming. Speaking of..." Another server passed by them and Dan eyed the beverages atop their tray. He seemed hesitant, however; one drink had loosened them up to dance, but what would more do?

Blaine no longer stood in the last place Lianna had found him, but that didn't mean she wouldn't run into him later. As far as she knew, Violette had yet to return to the ballroom; though, Lianna had been distracted the last few minutes, so likely wouldn't have noticed anyway.

- Continue dancing
- Look for Blaine
- Look for Violette
- Explore the building
- Other
- (Optional) Grab a second drink

"Let's take a break and mingle?" Lianna proposed. She wanted to speak to Violette if she could find her in the balroom. "Do you want to stay with me or do you want a moment for yourself?" She followed his gaze after the drinks. "Just be careful with the drinks."

The man hesitated on her question, eyes searching the ballroom for an answer. He did a double-take in one direction. Squinted his eyes. "I think..." His eyes dawned recognition and he smiled, looked to Lianna. "I recognize someone here, so I'll be alright on my own. I'll be careful."

With Dan preoccupied and heading towards whomever he saw from a distance, Lianna had the gala all to herself. She could mingle and drink and explore until dinner was called.

- Find Violette
- Find Blaine
- Explore the building
- Other

Lianna nodded, gently squeezing his hand, "I'll find you soon." She let him go and turned around the room to try and find Violette.

If Violette were in the room, Lianna would have found her fairly quickly; she wore a dress far too poofy and wide to go unnoticed for long. Perhaps she hadn't come in from the side door, yet, wherever that lead.

- Follow Violette
- Find Blaine
- Explore the building
- Other

Since she did not notice Violette anywhere near, she decided to follow her through the door she had disappeared through before. Hopefully she, was close by.

mo61Zve.png

The door led to a well-lit hallway decorated in red carpet and a floral vase atop a hall table halfway down. Lianna could go through the door only door she saw or follow the hallway, which eventually turned right at the corner and most likely connected to the other hallway she hadn't yet explored.

- Go through the door
- Eavesdrop at the door
- Knock on the door
- Follow the hallway
- Other

The room would have been pitch black if not for dim candles hanging overhead, atop what looked to be a fireplace, and a softly lit lamp. Behind a plush, decorative loveseat was a tall window with massive curtains pulled to the side.

In the center of the loveseat sat Violette, eyes turned to the nighttime scenery outside. Her dress took up nearly all three cushions, spilling over her curled up legs and barely brushing the floor. It practically drowned her in lacey, frilly, pink and purple fabric.

She looked over her shoulder, prompted by her name. "It is you," she stated, an od greeting.

- Ask what she's doing
- Comment on her dress
- Talk about the party
- Talk about her quest
- Other
- (Optional): Sit in a chair

"I think so." Lianna smiled, "Expecting someone else?" She inclined her in a greeting, then sat in a chair opposite of her, turning to look through the window. "I saw your entrance there, you looked wonderful." She said with a tinge of enthusiasm. "Your boots are really something else."

"The opposite, actually," she said, voice airy and soft but carrying in the quiet.
Smiled slightly at the compliment. Violette stuck a foot out from beneath the mountain of a dress, dim light catching on their metal accents.

"I was going to wait until the showcase after dinner to present them, but by then the crowd will likely be too drunk to remember." Considering the flavor and quantity of drinks, there we likely many guests who got drunk before dinner by accident.

Turning more towards Lianna, she rest her chin in her hand, elbow propped against a fluffy loveseat pillow. "What about you?"

Lianna could tell Violette that she followed her or come up with a lie as to why she entered this dark, vacant room.

- Be honest
- Tell a lie
- Change the subject
- Other

"I came to see you." She answered honestly, not seeing anything wrong with that. Violette was a fun young woman and Lianna had a wonderful time speaking to her when they met. There was no reason not to seek her out again when presented an opportunity. "I'm mainly curious in how do you intend to last out the night in a dress as extravagant as yours?" She smiled. "Not that it isn't stunning, but it's certainly a challenge do dance in."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back