• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Steamhaven: Land of the Lost

It took the rest of her afternoon to eat something small, take a much-needed bath, and allow her hair to dry; Steamhaven was often cold, especially as it entered the colder months, so walking around with a wet head of hair was an invitation for sickness.

Lianna's wardrobe consisted of varying styles to choose from.

- Casual
- Girlishly cute
- Sophisticated
- Seductive
- Other

She'd pick a pair of comfortable pants and a nice blouse. Perhaps something a bit lower cut than is appropriate for work? She'd wear a proper dress, but she was afraid that it might be a bit too much for a first date. Or a friendly dinner... whatever the doctor assumed this was, she wasn't so sure herself. And of course, she'd have to a wear any decent coat she had.

A casual but classy look, perfect for a first date and comfortable enough to accommodate her state of fatigue more than a bustle skirt ever could. After tying up her shoes and donning her best coat - a dark fabric that was well-kept and clean, if not a little average looking - she headed out the door.
---
Sunset kissed the horizon just as she stepped inside the clinic. The bell above the door chimed and from the back room, Everett called out: "I'm running late," he said, "just a moment! Or more..."

Lianna could sit patiently in the lobby or use the time to do a little investigating. Everett worked with humans as well as supernaturals, and filing cabinets sat against the wall behind the front desk - one hardly ever used, but was likely there for storage or decoration.

- Sit down
- Snoop
- Other

"I thought that I was the one who's supposed to be late!" Lianna called back. While she was tempted to snoop around while she waited, she really didn't want to betray this man's trust. She will probably need a stitch or two more before she's done with Steamhaven.

She heard Everett laugh as she took a seat. It didn't take long for her eyes to start drooping close against her will - the fatigue was relentless. The next time she opened her eyes the analog clock on the wall read fifteen minutes had passed, and Everett was stepping out from the back room in a far nicer outfit than she'd met him in.

He'd taken most of his piercings out and given his hair a good wash - Lianna could smell the scent of bay leaves as he crossed the room - as well as donned what appeared to be either new or hardly worn shoes. The only off-putting thing about his appearance that night was a top hat he wore. While considered casual among most men, this one was a bit too much so; the thing was old and worn and nearly falling apart. Lianna could see stitches holding it together.

Everett smiled sheepishly and took the hat off. He didn't seem to notice her exhaustion. "Family heirloom," he explained quickly, "I, uh... Haven't had the chance to buy a new one."

- Compliment the hat
- Criticize the hat
- Don't comment
- Other

"Uh..." Lianna gave him a look of disbelief. She wasn't sure how to react. On one side he was looking absolutely handsome and she was glad to think that he dressed up for her sake, but on the other side, that hat was so silly looking she could barely stifle a laugh. She had to smile a little when she reached her hand out for the hat. "I can be polite and say that it looks wonderful on you, but do you really want me to lie?" She placed it on a side table. "Perhaps leave the heirlooms under lock and key?"

She could see a blush form on his cheeks, reaching all the way to the tips of his ears. "I appreciate the honesty," he laughed some. Gathered a pair of keys and gestured to the door. "Shall we?"

Upon leaving the clinic, Everett held the door for her. His gentlemanly personality defied his usual appearance - an appearance that, despite his efforts to clean up, still clung to him. He could take out the piercings and do his hair nicely, but he couldn't get rid of the scars on his face. It gave him a juxtaposing flair, but it was up to Lianna to decide if she found it charming or not. Time would soon tell.

As they wandered down the street, Everett didn't outright offer his arm to hold but he did stay relatively close. It was the perfect distance for Lianna to reach out if she so chose.

- Talk with Everett
- Walk in silence
- Other
- (Optional) Reach for his arm

Lianna felt a little bit awkward at first. She realised she didn't know the man much past getting stitched up by him two times and killing undead once. Neither of those left really much time to actually get to know someone. She knew that she was drawn to him though, on top of tending to the people, he risked his life at night to defend them. It was a noble sentiment and one she could get behind. In fact she wanted to believe that she was doing the same, protecting those who couldn't protect themselves by exterminating those who could harm them. Could be a bit of a twisted logic, but she firmly held onto it.

"Are you going to tell me where are we going, or are you going to keep me in suspense?" She said with a small smile as she closed the distance between them and placed her hand on his arm. Smoothly, she hoped.

At her touch, Everett looked over with a confident smile. "It's a bit of a surprise," he said. Placed his own hand over hers as he guided them down the street. "We're almost there though. It isn't far from the clinic."

And far it was not, considering it took them less than ten minutes to arrive. The cold air had served to wake Lianna up some but upon stepping inside the outwardly shabby-looking building, warmth hugged her skin and threatened to lull her asleep yet again. It would be a long night.

698504bc8568d33ca8306b38d1fb6663.jpg

Many businesses in Steamhaven either matched their dilapidated exteriors or poured revenue into turning the building's insides into something beautiful, clean, and pleasing to the eye. This, like Brackett Emporium, was the latter. Purposeful vines decorated old stone archways overhead, hiding cracks in the stone, and several wall lamps gave a cozy ambiance. A three-tiered fountain sat in the middle, surrounded by potted plants of different varieties and colors, created soft background noise to eliminate awkward gaps in conversation. Wooden tables had been fitted with clean silverware, porcelain plates, and plain but spotless tablecloths.

It was by no means an opulent place, but it was very nice nonetheless. Considering the hidden structural damage and old floors, the price was likely affordable, too.

A waitress with an abundance of energy brought them to their seat. "Welcome to Cafe Garden," she said. Offered them menus that had worn at the edges. "What would you like to drink?" Lianna could let loose after a rough night at the asylum and order something with a kick to it, but she was already quite tired.

- Non-alcoholic
- Wine or beer
- Mixed drink

"This... is quite nice." Lianna said, trying not to sound surprised, but seeing anything not covered in soot or grime in Steamhaven surprised her.

She didn't drink alcohol too often, though she enjoyed a glass of wine to relax at times. Still, with her energy already low, she feared it would get her tipsy in no time, and the last time that happened she had to reimburse the bar's owner for a dozen glasses and two chairs.

"I'll just take sparkling water, please." She placed her order.

The waitress took their orders: sparkling water and a cup of coffee, the latter order odd considering the time of hour. With a pleasant smile she left them to peruse the menu and chat among themselves. Two other couples were already seated, but they were sitting too far away to be heard or overhear.

"I stumbled across this place on my way to a shift with the militia," Everett said. "This is the first time I've been in here," he smiled sheepishly, "so I am hoping the food is as nice as the atmosphere."

- Discuss the militia
- Discuss the supernaturals
- Ask Everett about himself
- Talk about something else
- Other

"I guess that every town ought to have at least one pretty place." Lianna shrugged, then looked at Everett. "I've heard quite a lot of people say that they have never spent all of their lives in Steamhaven. Even my cousin seemed to have a hard time leaving it. How about you? Have you been anywhere else but here?"

Everett shook his head. "I was born and raised," he said. Adopted a thoughtfully hesitant expression. "I've never attempted to leave, but I've tended to people who have. Those aren't stories for dinner, though," he smiled sheepishly. "What about you?"

- Answer
- Change the subject
- Ask about the runaways
- Other

"Oh, I'm just visiting." Lianna said. "Or at least I thought so. To be frank I wanted to leave some time ago, but jobs just kept popping out, so I hung around. It was also nice seeing Clem and the whole family again." She paused. "I don't know what's stopping the people of Steamhaven, but it's not gonna stop me. Once the supernaturals here have been dealt with, I plan on walking out of those woods."

The doctor's smile faltered at her declaration, but it returned shortly thereafter, albeit a bit weaker. "If you go through the woods, be careful," he said. "From what I've seen, you'll either need a lot of fire power or a lot of friends in the right places-"

"One sparkling water and a cup of coffee," the waitress chimed in, setting their drinks in front of them. "Are you ready to order?"

Everett glanced at the menu and just as the silence grew too long, he spoke up: "I'll take the Hotch Potch." On the menu, the name was described as a meatless pot of various vegetables, cooked in herbs and pearled barley. It was also one of the cheapest things on the menu.

There was also Porridge, the cheapest menu item consisting of boiled oats and salt; Kedgeree, a meal of cooked, flaked fish, boiled rice, parsley, hard-boiled eggs, curry powder, butter or cream, and sultanas; Woodland Game Pie, a hefty combination of mixed meats and vegetables set in a delicate cake-style mold.

- Porridge (3 coins)
- Hotch Potch (5 coins)
- Kedgeree (7 coins)
- Woodland Game Pie (10 coins)

Lianna mulled over the menu for a bit, not really familiar with the items on it. She settled on a Kedgeree and ordered it with a polite smile, wondering how it would taste like. These days all she ate were hard boiled eggs and stale bread. She really needed to restock her fridge. Also she probably needed to clean up all that blood in her kitchen.

Pushing those uncomfortable thoughts away, she focused n her dinner companion again. "Do you have any family, doc?"

Everett took a sip of his coffee. "I do. Mother, Father, younger sister," he said. "I don't see my parents much, but my sister visits the clinic often to chat." He paused, then, humming thoughtfully. "Actually, I'm surprised you haven't crossed paths yet."

- Ask about his sister
- Tell him about your family
- Change the subject
- Other

"I've met a lot of people in Steamhaven, though I cannot remember meeting anyone with your last name." Lianna responded. She didn't want to mention her family, it was a subject confusing enough for her, she didn't need to bother anyone else with it. She drank her water and waited for the meal, hoping that the doctor would lead the conversation away in a different direction.

An expectant silence drifted between them but Everett ended it quickly, coming to the conversation's aid. "It's probably for the best you hadn't met her yet," he chuckled, "she aspires to be a hunter and would likely talk your ear off. I'd never have gotten a word in edgewise."

With so few people in the restaurant, it didn't take long for their meals to arrive. Lianna's kedgeree smelled strongly of curry and a mild tinge of fish, likely the flaked cod. She'd find it to be a zesty, earthy, slightly sweet flavor.

"So, I've been curious," he said after sampling his own meal. Tapped at his neck, eyes glancing at the wound on Lianna's skin across from him. "When you were first bitten, the vampire didn't draw blood, yet the second time they did. What happened? I've not known a vampire to bite no reason."

Everett was a sympathizer to the supernaturals, but he had also acted as Lianna's doctor a handful of times now. She could tell him about Landon Payne, keep some things to herself, or avoid the topic altogether considering his differing opinion on supernaturals.

- Tell him everything
- Be vague
- Avoid the topic
- Other

Lianna gave an awkward laugh. "Would you believe me I told you I've been bitten by two different vampires in a span of a couple of days? I seem to be a magnet for the creatures." She shrugged. "Let's say that the first one liked me much more than the second, though." Then she quickly added. "I dislike both of them equally, just to clarify."

Everett quirked a brow, spoonful of hotch potch poised just centimeters from his lips. "Two of them?" He propped a curious elbow atop the table, fingers cupping his chin. The spoon lowered to its bowl. "From my experience in the clinic, there are far more vampires in Steamhaven than one would think; they blend well with the climate and considering the widespread paranoia, it's hard to select a true suspect when there are so many people pointing fingers in the wrong directions."

Scratching his chin, he eyed the last half of his dinner intently. "Perhaps the first bite belongs to a vampire that knows you," his tone was curious, gaze lifting upwards to meet hers. Unbeknownst to Everett, Lianna already knew the wanted vampire's identity now. However, while Detective Payne did indeed become acquainted with Lianna before the outing of his identity, the two had not known one another prior to her being bitten in the very beginning.

She could choose to share that information with Everett or keep it to herself.

- Give the vampire's identity
- Keep quiet
- Change the topic
- Other

"Oh, he knows me alright, that di... delinquent." Lianna bit her lip. "He is quite an old one it seems. Used a plethora of different identities. You might know one of them." Her eyes met his. "Does Detective Payne ring a bell?"

It was a good thing Everett hadn't taken a sip of his coffee or a bite of his food; by the way his eyes bugged and body tensed, he'd have probably choked. "Landon is a-" he cut himself short and glanced at the other couples dining. Lowered his voice. "He's a vampire? Are you sure?" Everett knew the man well enough to comfortably use his first name. No wonder he looked extremely troubled.

Troubled, betrayed, hurt... and then he pinched the bridge of his nose, brows meeting in the middle. "By the gods, it's so obvious now," he shook his head, barreling through his initial questions without giving Lianna much room to speak. "I've been so blind."

- Ask how he knows Detective Payne
- Comfort him
- Lecture his negligence
- Change the topic
- Other

"He fooled me too." Lianna shrugged. "I mean he could be centuries old for all I know, he must have a lot of experience with deceit and treachery." She gave the doctor a stern look. "You might defer on this, but vampires are not like us. They have no concience. They are treacherous creatures. All of them."

Everett didn't look up from the table when she spoke. Only after she finished talking and a mildly awkward silence engulfed them, he sighed. "I'm not upset that he is a vampire," he said. Finally met Lianna's eyes; they held a new spark, opposite of the softness he'd shown towards her before. Almost a challenge. "I am upset because, after years of fighting undead hordes together, he did not trust me enough to tell me his secret. That, and my own ignorance."

If what Everett was implying, Detective Payne was part of the militia and had been for some time.

- Argue with him
- Comfort him
- Ask about Detective Payne
- Change the topic
- Other

Users who are viewing this thread

Back