• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Starpath: Burning Sails [IC] [CLOSED]

Shun eyes the headline curiously yet soon nods in agreement. "Fortunate that the afflicted will not have to suffer any longer. Such advancements are always worthy of celebration." he states rather genuinely. "And good - being informed is very important, and I am glad to see you so enthusiastic over it."

Jericho looked at Grommy, and gave him a smile. "Hey there, Grommy. Been a while! Where's Nara? You two are usually inseparable." He then nodded while sipping his margarita. "Oh yeah, Shelby is a cool gu-girl." Jericho cleared his throat for a moment. "By the way, Shelby here's started a stream. You might not know this, but she's musically talented, and I know you and Nara are a band." He looks at Shelby for a moment. "Now I imagine you guys are not a Starpop group, but maybe you can help Shelby around with music and stuff?"

Shelby looked around the bar at all the people rather meekly. She didn't know what to do with the margarita that Jericho ordered her, so she ordered a daiquiri that was much lighter and sipped on that. She spotted Grommy and waved back at him, and glanced at Jericho.

"Yeah the stream is a lot of fun! Its mostly just me dancing, though. The musical tracks are all digital. But if you and Nara like that kind of stuff, we can try to, like, collab or something."

Meanwhile, On the Entertainment Deck.

One particular spectator watched Karina's fighting with interest. Unlike the rest of the pirates that watched from the raised platform above the fighting pit, who wore all manner of ramshackle, second-hand, and mismatched armor and outfits, one stood above the rest, not participating in the hollering and whooping of the rest of the crowd. The armor he wore evoked the design of ancient full plate armor. Its pauldrons decorated in rites and elaborate designs. Red lines marked over the front of the helmet and the chest. It would even have been impressive to gaze upon, if it were not for how battered it was. Burn scars and scratches marked the surface of the metal, once a shining beacon, but had long since dulled. The designs upon his pauldrons had faded into the steel, and a particularly large scorch mark discoloured it beneath his chest. The leather adorning its outside was old and worn, veins of fresh, pale brown criss-crossing over the dark surface.

His posture was scrying, as he observed the fighters in the ring. None of them, up until this point, had caught his attention, until one woman entered the ring. At first glance, she seemed human. But her fighting style. The ease at which she demolished the fighters that faced her. It jogged his memory. Back to that old, old war. How long had it been, now? The stories he heard. The things he witnessed first hand.

Silently, he walked down the stairs, away from the blaring noise of the impromptu arena's stands, he saw the upyri woman and her retinue heading down the hallways. He walked past the group without a word, the sliver of the helmet he could see out of obscuring his face with shadow. The rest of them seemed like common gangbangers. Mooks that were dime-a-dozen and would be taken out easily. Once he was satisfied with the distance he had walked past them, he turned upon his heel, trailing them from a distance away.

It of course wouldn't be long before he found himself at Morgan's Chalice. A rather out of the way bar that didn't often get much traffic, but was a hive of scum and villainy nonetheless. He stood by the doorway, rifle strapped across one shoulder, holding his shield to the floor, and observing the various 'patrons' of the bar, which seemed unusually teeming, today. They all seemed to get along, which indicated that it wasn't just a number of cliques in the same place. A densely packed hive of smugglers, murderers, and common crooks.

...There are worse ways to get a start.

------------------------------------​
Olivia just likes to feel pretty sometimes. It's second to her protection, naturally, but a dress'd be nice to wear every once in a while. She's sure the Reavers would have some sort of celebration every now and then. Of course, she'd also picked up some other stuff. Pants, shirts, boots and shoes-- anything and everything, really. Her wardrobe was sorely depleted after living out of a fighter for a good, long while, and really needed a little bit of rejuvenation.

"Suits, huh?" She pursed her lips, looking Aesha up and down a couple times before shrugging. "...Yeah, I could see you pulling off a suit."

"Sounds radical. Nara's over by the booth if you want to say hi. She's reading this Galacity magazine, I don't know anything about it. I think it's talking about fashion, music and all that jazz. And yeah we can go for a colla-" Then for a sudden movement Grommy turned to the doorway, seeing a man clad in battered ancient armor. That ancient armor.

He suddenly caught a flash of an old friend, wielding his shield and plate armor and his old fashioned Winchester. That armor back then, meant a lot as of now. Before his hometown got his start, before Nara. And all of a sudden this man was wearing similar armor at the doorway. Like a ghost coming back to greet him.

He's...alive? Grommy thought in his head, eyes widened. He didn't know what to say, but could only watch what might happen.

“News and developments like this interests me in particular. You know, my home world doesn’t have advancements like this, some villages still use herbs and spices as remedies!” responds Shuren, still clearly excited.

"Is that so..? Interesting that you are so inclined with modern hardware if your world is so... unfortunately primitive. That is a merit deserving of both respect and pride." Shun states with yet another nod, quite interested. "It is my hope that you may someday come back to them with all sorts of technological marvels to benefit them greatly. I can tell you care much for your people."

“It’s my duty to care and look out for my people. You may not believe this, but I am royalty.”

He lifted his head at an angle, finding that rather curious but having no reason to doubt them. "Well that is quite the revelation indeed. Even still, it is not simply duty that motivates altruism to your kind, surely." Shun states. "Such community and dedication is no doubt earned rather than forced onto you by obligations."

Daniel eventually found himself at the Chalice. He did his best to mask the red slap-mark in his face. His talk with Jaro had been...interesting. He sat down near Shun and Shuren and closed his eyes.

Earlier...

Daniel blinked twice and slowly raised his head. Jaro crossed her arms and tilted her head. "Surprised?"
"No," said Daniel shaking his head. He studied the woman in front of him. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be on Legkiy?"

Jaro shook her head. "I got promoted. Corsairs need someone to keep up relations with all the groups this side of the galaxy. Show them that the Corsairs are still around even after going legal." She pointed at him in a accusing manner. "What are you doing here?"

Daniel sighed. "Mercenary work." He shifted his weight. "Listen, Jaro, if this is-" His words were cut short as Jaro placed a finger on his lips.

"No. You don't get to do that. You don't get to vanish and then apologize like it was nothing. You don't know what it feels like. You were one of the few people I trusted on that damn planet and all I got was a ten-word message on my datapad." Jaro frowned and shook her head once more. "I would've gone with you but you didn't even ask."

With that said she walked off. Daniel was left alone. He tried to think of something to say but by the time he looked up Jaro was gone. Shit.

-----

When Shelby and Jericho started chatting about all kinds of things Nathalie sort of zoned off. What were her options? Lauren? No, she'd never agree to help unless there was money involved. Maybe one of her old associates? Joseph King came to find. After all she did help the man break free of the SSOID. He owed her, big time. Maybe there was someone else. Slade Beckwith, one of Lauren's associates. The man had a long record. Good connections.

Nodding Nathalie finished her drink, paid for it and got up. It was time to meet at the Chalice. She followed Shelby and Jericho from a distance because unlike the two of them she actually blended in. Good opportunity to run rear security, just in case.

Once they were at the Chalice Nat seated herself at one of the bar stools. She looked around at the recruits. Plenty of new blood. Hopefully they wouldn't get in the way once they were in the field. Fucking new guys.

----------

Onboard the SNV Skycleaver
Renegade Quadrant

The briefing room was packed full with senior staff, crew and grunts. Aside from the ship-based crew there were no standard uniform. Unlike other units of the SSOID though this one in particular had a much more looser leash. Stingray crossed his arms and looked at the grunts with discontent. Half of them looked like bored children while the other hand looked like inmates. He grunted. They probably were inmates. Not that he was any better.

He looked to his team. Duchess and Wraith were whispering secrets. As always. S14M and W1P3 were silent and Stryker appeared to be sleeping.

On the other side of the room a pair of doors opened. Some additional senior officers arrived, taking their seats, followed by none other than Captain Blixthammar himself. The room fell silent as Blixthammar walked towards the center of the room. Those who had been sleeping were waken up. Once the captain stopped at the center of the room all eyes were on him.

"Taskforce Predator," he said.

"SIR!" Replied the room in unison. Or at least most of it. Stingray crossed his arms and Duchess yawned.

"We have a new mission from command. A new target. Some of you have already received individual briefings on this but I think it's time to let the rest of the crew know." Blixthammar then nodded towards a technician who started a hologram showing a list of targets.

"These are our targets. The Blackwell Reavers."

Several people in the room nodded. Stingray did as well. Finally. A real challenge. None of that small-time pirate bullshit. If the reports from the Feds were anything to go by coupled with the somewhat limited dossiers this crew might last longer than five minutes once Taskforce Predator gets their hands on them. Stryker stood up. To him only two names on that list mattered. Kovak. Drach. He cracked his knuckles. Looks like he'd spend the entire night in the flight simulator.

---

Following the meeting Blixthammar found himself in his office. He was going through intelligence reports when a hologram suddenly appeared on his desk. "Good evening, sir."
Starkov chuckled. Like always the SSOID Section Chief was dressed sharply in a suit. He also had a cigar stuffed in his breastpocket. "Good evening, captain."

Blixthammar looked up. "What can I help you with?"

Starkov narrowed his eyes. "I have some more information regarding your targets. Blackwell and Masir are to be taken alive if possible. With them we could get some insight into their other operations."

Blixthammar nodded. "Done. Anything else?"

Starkov stroked his beard. "Walker and Kovak. Eliminate and confirm. They need to be buried. I don't care if you throw them into a star or dig a hole so deep you'd need a asteroid drill to find them. They need to be erased. We don't do mistakes and we don't let our mistakes live."

"Understood," said Blixthammar. Shortly after Starkov's holographic image vanished.

Yolandi looks at the knight in armor type guy who just showed up. She doesn't really recognize him as anything, but the armor makes him reek of bounty hunter, they always went for the altruistic look to try and justify their purpose, she raises her voice over the din of the bar, "You lost? Private gathering, no randoms."

It was not until Yolandi shouted past the general hubbub of the bar did he take notice of her. Synths, robots, automatons, whatever they're called. Useful tools in their own right, but with a programmed intelligence... a poor attempt at playing God. He locked his gaze to her for a few moments, and what she said confirmed the suspicions that he had.

"...I want to know who the leader of this... outfit is." He spoke calmly, if not with a tinge of disdain to his voice.

Yolandi cocks her head slightly, "You smell like bounty hunter, I don't like bounty hunter." She hops off the stool and swaggers up to him, "If you're here to take a crack at the Reavers, you're gonna have to take a number and get in line, pal." She points over his shoulder at the door, "Line starts somewhere halfway across the galaxy, might want to start making arrangements now, I hear the last minute bookings are always the worst rates."

"Reavers?" The armored fellow stood fast as he was approached, remaining still as a statue as he was accosted by Yolandi. She may have a more imposing physique, but she had the attitude of every other ganger in the system and five others around it. "The name sounds familiar." A slight scowl began to form behind the helmet as he inclined his head up only slightly to meet her eyes, being a few centimeters shorter at most. "In any case, I can assure you that I lack the idiocy that would be required to assault a gang..." One hand raised itself off of his shield, motioning to the ever-more interested crowd of the bar. "...Who are mostly gathered in one place, as one man."

Yolandi stares him down for a moment, her iridescent yellow eyes boring into him like a laser drill. This moment passes and she glances over her shoulder in Petar's direction, "Hey, first mate! This guy here seems to not understand that he's not welcome, you want me to toss him out on his head or should I wait for Cap to come and get an eyeful of him before throwing him out on his head?"

Keep her away from the hard stuff, I don't like working with junkies.
"Really now?" Petar eyed up Serra. He completely ignored whatever else she said and her walking away to enjoy herself some drinks "You still on the stuff after half a century or did you burn out?"

"Hey kid, be useful and get the adults something to drink while they talk." Serra didn't want to even think about Vulkov and his bullshit, but she knew that this was inevitable when she signed up. "Been clean since Anora obliterated the Star dusts. Come on, lets sit." The two waled through the bar, an air of unease around them both. It was obvious that the two had some history and most of it probably not good. The tension was eased up by the new arrival.

Hey, first mate! This guy here seems to not understand that he's not welcome, you want me to toss him out on his head or should I wait for Cap to come and get an eyeful of him before throwing him out on his head?
"Lets see what the captain wants to do with him." Petar answered before he sat down with Serra "He might give the us a good show."

Yolandi turns her head back to the man in armor, "You can stay... for now, but that doesn't mean you're welcome." With that she turns and heads back to her spot at the bar next to Karina as she watches the man like a hawk.

Silently, he inclines his head towards the synth, a sort of smug smile forming beneath the mask as she turns herself around. "Ta-ta." A calm, neutral disengagement from their conversation as Yolandi makes her way towards the bar once more. He may be an uninvited guest, but he's hardly as stupid as to make the first punch while in territory that seems quite ostensibly hostile.

Yolandi begins smoking a cigarette while sitting at the bar and keeping a careful eye on the knight templar wannabe. She doesn't trust him at all and she could feel the judgmental tone in his voice. She's never liked uptight hoity toity types, especially when they come slumming around places like the RQ and come in on some sort of moral high horse. If he ends up joining she's already planning how to grind his attitude to dust and bring him to heel. She gets an idea, "Hey, Crusader, howabout a drink." She waves at Davidson and summons a bottle of cognac and two glasses, she figures if he drinks he probably drinks something snobby. She uncaps the bottle and gives a healthy pour in each glass before setting the bottle down and seperating the glasses between her seat and the empty bar stool on her other side since Karina is occupying the other one on the opposite side, "Might make you seem less like a stuffy prick with his nose turned in the air."

Beneath the shadows of his armor, the man quirked a brow up at Yolandi. He's not one to oft drink, but had to admit that a social drink might help to loosen the mood. With a quiet nod, he made his way through the bar, with little regard for the glances his armor. He sat down upon a stool, a cacophany of creaking signifying that, yes, all that gear he wore was fucking heavy. It only took the 'crusader' one glance at the glass in front of him, and at the bottle, before shaking his head at this swill. "You seem to take me for one who drinks like a Terran bureaucrat." The inflection of 'Terran' was the kind that would be followed up by someone hacking something up upon the ground. A gauntleted hand tapped noisily on the bar. "Tender. A whiskey cream, if you are able." He hasn't even taken his helmet off by this stage, either. As he awaits his drink, his head turns to the side, looking at Yolandi. "Now, I can't imagine that you've had change of..." He sucked in some air through his teeth. "Whatever circuitry passes for a heart of yours, and graced me with audience." He leaned back on the stool. "And to be certainly clear, it is not hard to keep oneself above some of the galaxy's dregs. Especially when she conducts herself like a teenaged, wanna-be gangster who's hopped up on power because she's bought her first pocket knife."

Meanwhile Grommy was still eying the knight who just wandered into the bar by himself. He just couldn't help it at this point. But once he started talking, it revealed the fact it wasn't him. His old friend was too eccentric even when things got bad. This knight reeked of jerkassery. Grommy narrowed his eyes, hands urging to take him outside and find out who is he.

But for now, he had to keep calm for the crew.

Yolandi grins lopsidedly at him, "My, aren't you a special one." She knocks back her glass of cognac and then his refused glass of cognac before having Davidson take the bottle of said cognac back, "You clearly aren't above the dregs like me if you're in here looking for work." She orders herself a glass of rum and nurses it more casually than just chugging it. She leans back against the counter and turns her head to face him, "You won't fit in here, I can tell that already, you're too much of an uptight altruist to survive down here in the warrens with the scum. You may as well pack up and go home now before you get your little tabard and shield dirty playing at being a pirate." She punctuates her statement with a derisive snort, blowing a burst of inhaled cigarette smoke out her nostrils before taking a sip of her rum. She continues to watch the door silently, waiting for the Captain to come back so this meeting can get started.

Aesha looked the dress over and smiled. Olivia didn't seem the type to wear a dress, really. Still, it suited her quite well. "Looks good! Probably would look great on you. I'm more of a suit girl, myself." she said, motioning to a pair of suits

"Looking classy I see?" Derrick walks back towards the pilot duo with all of the stuff he picked out on tow, "You give off the vibe of an "All-Bussiness" type of person, straight to the point and nothing else."

He then turned his attention towards Olivia, "Its simplistic, not too plain and not too eye-catching. so theres a bit of that balance." Derrick raised his arms, "But.. Who am I to judge? I'm just the bartender."

Even as the drink was placed in front of the knight, he didn't touch the thing. A credit chit was laid down, so as to not come off as rude, but he folded his fingers together, palms pressing against each other, and his elbows upon the bar. "Were I an 'uptight altruist', I would never have come here in the first place. I would still fruitlessly be preaching around these systems to garner miniscule rivulets of support that would do nothing to rebuild--" Metal audibly scraped together as his fingers tightened together, a frustrated sigh coming from beneath the crusader's helmet. "No. My ambitions for this accompaniment are greater than to play a protective knight in shining armor. God forgive, but sometimes we must travel down the darkest of paths to aid those we love." He'd seemed to have calmed down by now.

That was, until a dismissive snort came from him. "As for your ilk." The scowl beneath the knightly visage almost transmitted directly to his voice. "I know that many who act like you respect only strength, and care little for any sort of discourse. I also know, that many 'big shots' like you, who attempt to intimidate me, have ended up incapacitated. Or worse." A thinly veiled threat. Though he wanted to believe he didn't speak for the whole crew-- candles may be found in the strangest of places after all, cynicism and experience told him that this was about as good as he would get. It certainly didn't look like he'd find much better, in any case.

----------------------------------------
"But... Who am I to judge? I'm just the bartender." Olivia shot Derrick over a confused glance, looking between him and Aesha a couple times. "What? C'mon, it's not like you're-- shit, I dunno. Not a person. You've still got opinions... and shit." She's... not the best at consoling others. Either way, the pilot slings the dress over the other clothes that they'd accumulated in their little fashion trip. "Anyway, I'm totally buying that along with all of this other stuff. My treat to me."

Shelby used a straw to sip on her daiquiri, which was actually quite tasty. It was mango and orange and had a little bite, but it wasn't so strong to make her feel sick. Perfect for a day out on the beach or on the water. Strong alcohol was best saved for the cool Castilian nights. Too easy to get sick in the sun with the harder stuff. Not that she ever drank any of that yucky stuff anyways, but everyone around her sure seemed to do so.

She watched the crowd beside Jericho, and then snickered slightly when she spotted Daniel. She put her hand over her mouth, leaned towards Jericho, and pointed at Daniel. "Hey, hey! Looks like he got slapped or something! Oooh! Do you think it was a girl?" She whispered excitedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back